Palo Santo Marron - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Brown Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 11-19-2006

An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree," and its wood has been used in South American wine-making communities.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Palo Santo Marron Alström Bros
4.44/5  rDev +6.2%

I bought a whole 4-pack of this beer and drank one after a couple other IIPA's a couple weeks ago, and this beer was undoubtedly the "nail in my coffin" that night. I have been a bit cautious to try it again since, but I have only had a couple low-gravity beers tonight, so now's the time.

Appearance: As the beer was pouring, you could see that it was a relatively clear dark reddish brown color, but after it is in the glass it could pass for a robust porter. There was a small head of tan bubbles around the edge of the glass right after the pour, but these faded into a small ring after about a half-minute.

Aroma: I initially got some dark cherry and some spice that makes it come across as much like a dessert as anything. After the beer sits for a bit, I get an entirely different aroma with some vanilla and a really nice fresh woody scent. As the beer sits a little bit more, there are some cocoa notes coming out as well as some spiciness from the alcohol. The aroma is amazingly complex for this beer, and it is surprising in regards to the ABV that it boasts. This beer has an incredible aroma, and one that would be inviting in a number of different culinary expressions. Excellent!

Taste: The flavor is much more balanced and palatable than the aroma suggested it would be...though the aroma was not harsh by any means. I expected the dark malts to be a big player in this beer, but instead, there is some distinct fruitiness , vanilla, and a subtle bitter chocolate that gives balance to the whole ensemble. This beer is bold, and even after only a few sips, I can feel flushing in my cheeks...indicating that it is a strong one. The alcohol is definitely there in the finish as warming, but this beer really masks the super high ABV that it really has.

Opinion: This is an excellent and well crafted beer. I like the depth of flavor and regardless of how he got it, Sam has a winner with this one. A wood aged American brown ale is a good description for this beer, but it has the typical super-hoppy "American" character to the side to let the malt and the wood accents shine through. I think that is a good thing and I would definitely recommend this beer. It is an adventure for the palate any way you look at it.

4.77/5  rDev +14.1%

Shazzam! Whoaaaa, nelly bell! Stupendous beer! Not exactly a brown ale as friend Euel says, it's brown and it's an ale. Ok. 'nuff said on that. But it pours with a small tan head and some lace. Color is an opaque dark, almost black, brown. Aroma is very rich and earthy, fecund, licorice, old leather, and bittersweet. Flavor's the same but more full and luxurient. Kim Jong Il would love this beer. Hail, feerless leader. Body is velvety smooth and enticing. Almost too rich. Not a session beer. Atlantic Monthly had a great article on brewmaster.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

A- pours an opaque deep black, that holds a very thin off-white head through the entire glass with a thicker ring of head around the edge of the glass
S- a lot of alcohol on the nose, smells resinous and slightly toasted, there are some slight wood aromas like that of pine or evergreens
T- again the 12% alcohol shows itself in the taste, the palo santo wood brings a very unique resinous and woody character to the taste, lots of malt and hops to balance out the flavors, some chocolate,vanilla, and dark fruit flavors come through as well
M- its very thick and creamy which balances with the flavors well, it really coats the pallet with the flavor and lingers for quite some time
D- this beer is definitely a slow sipper, it would be much more drinkable with a year or two in the cellar

2.65/5  rDev -36.6%

Pours a nice brown without much head and some fizziness apparent in the body. Smell is basically all booze, and maybe a hint of piny hops if anything. Taste is initially very rich and roasty, but the booze overwhelms the entire brew eventually. It tastes like a brown ale with a few shots of vodka mixed in. Its very hard to drink this beer.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

12oz pour into a DFH Snifter. Bottled on 7/30/09

A: Dark brown with a burnt toast colored head. The head doesn't last very long and leaves very scant lacing

S: Chocolate, caramel and lots of oak. Once it warmed up a bit I got a wheat toast smell

T: Follows the smell nicely. I also tasted roasted coffee. Leaves a bit of a smokey aftertaste. There is a hint of alcohol

M: Medium bodied with some carbonation. As noted above, finishes a little smokey

D: Surprisingly well. One of the better brown ales I've had. Probably would only have a few in a sitting as I'm sure the 12% alcohol would catch up to you, although I didn't really notice it with one bottle

Live Oak Market. Wow is all I can say about this one. Have been reading about it for a few years and wanted, no, needed to taste it. It was everything I wished it could be. Good ABV. Good IBU. Taste was thick with a bourbon hint to it. The high ABV made for that. So very smooth and has a few similarities to the Life and Limb.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass. Deep brown, almost black in color with a dark tan head that disapates quickly. Little to no lacing but the beer seems to cling to the glass. A great combination of sweet with bitter. Flavors were ever changing as beer warmed up. What a unique and delicious beer. At such a high alcohol level this beer could be deadly if I could afford to buy it in bulk. A sippn' beer if ever there was one.

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

A- Black body with a big, dark tan head. Cool looking bubbles O_O

S- Lots of cocoa and sweet bread. More coffee and liquor as it warms up. Some molasses and caramel.

T- The flavor is very sweet but also roasted and bitter. Has a nice sting of alcohol that mixes well with the bitter hops and roasted malts.

M- Very nice mouthfeel almost like melted chocolate with silky carbonation

D- Truly decadent beer makes for a sweet, unique treat

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

Quite dark, almost black. Some light makes it through the edges and has a nice deep dark reddish hue. Not much for head or lace.

Caramel, some roastiness, espresso like, hint of dark pitted fruit, and a nice level of woodiness with a touch of vanilla. Quite nice.

Taste is quite nice too. The roasted and woody qualities really add alot to this brew.

Nicely attenuated, medium bodied ale. Nice balance and interplay between the components of this brew.

Very drinkable for a 12% ABV brew. Alcohol is essentially masked, and the interesting depth of flavour holds the attention of my palate. Was glad to find this one, certainly recommend it, and will enjoy drinking it again someday.

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottled 7/24/08, consuming today, 12/11/09.

A: Poured a neaf black color, with a dark tan, frothy head.

S: Nose starts off as a dark fruit, moves to a woody flavor, not quite oakey, guess it's palo santi wood, and finally a sweet vanilla flavor. Also, I got a nice and pleasant cashew-like scent.

T: Taste is similar to the nose, but not exactly. The dark fruits are more pronounced than the nose led, but still swiftly move to a nice woody flavor. Then, to a sweet flavor, but not so much vanilla, I am picking up some cocoa. Also, picked up a bit of caramel flavor coupled with cocoa, before picking up a hint of cashew flavor. Somewhere in there I picked up a hint of alcohol. Wow, as this beer warms I am picking up a hint of smoke. Damn this beer is complex! Flavor: 4.25/5

M: Heavy, but smooth, with good carbonation.

D: This beer is delicious, but definitely a once a night beer. Also, I am looking forward to the other three bottles I have from the same batch. I think I'll space them out about 3-4 months and see how they age!

3.93/5  rDev -6%

12oz bottle into snifter. Fresh bottling consumed in Dec 09.

A: Pours a deep dark black-brown with a small dark coffee colored head. Not much lacing.
S: Very dark alcohol smell and wood with hints of sweet toasted malt, milk chocolate and licorice. Alcohol is by far the most predominant scent followed by the unique woody spiciness.
T: Very woody taste with toasted malts hiting you up front. Sweet and sugary middle that tingles in your mouth and leads into a fruity end that has a slight hop bitterness to it.
M: Heavy on the alcohol, fairly heavy and syrupy. This beer burns a bit and the alcohol coats your mouth long after you swallow. The flavors however, are unique and complex and a bit hard to describe. Definitely a well crafted beer.
D: This one's a sipper. It would be hard to drink more than one of these. Good flavor but the alcohol burn makes it a bit rough. I'm not convinced that I like this beer, but I can appreciate the depth of its flavors and its craftsmanship. I might give this a second chance, but I don't think this is a beer for everyone.

EDIT: Bottle dated May 2010 consumed Jan 2012 (1.5 yr aged):

A: Pours near black with a huge, dense dark brown head that faded to complex lace.
S: Not as much alcohol as when it was fresh. Wood and chocolate still dominate. I get notes of toasted malts and vanilla as well.
T: More 'brown ale' flavors that I remember it having fresh. The alcohol doesn't dominate as much anymore. I get notes of wood, roasted malt, caramel, toasted grains and raisins with a touch of strong alcohol and sweet sugar bringing up the finish. Still fairly sweet overall but at least the alcohol has calmed down.
M: Thick body, fairly smooth mouthfeel with even, fluffy carbonation. Goes down well, with only a few rough edges of alcohol.
O: Much better with a little bit of age on it opposed to fresh. I know my palate has changed a lot since I first had this beer a year and a half ago, but I remember it being a bit rough. Not the greatest imperial brown out there, but I think this will get even better with even more age on it. The longer you can wait to open this the better. (Scores adjusted to this review)

3.58/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

A- deep and black like a stout, and with an aggressive pour i got a huge dense bubbly coffee-with-cream colored head that shrinks down at a decent pace thanks to the high abv i assume. lots of wavy splotches of lace are left behind. not a hint of light is visible through the bottom of my tulip. super dark.

S- an interesting spicy aroma, very phenolic, and somewhat familiar, yet i'm having trouble associating it with anything else. some sort of plant resin. and spice. peppercorn, dried oranges, sandalwood, cedar, caraway, and pine tar. it must be the palo santo wood. its very vaporous, and gets carried up the nostrils by alcohol. perhaps it's the aroma of some incense of days gone by, more like an altogether chemical solvent aroma, like... bug spray. not really bad, just... different. beneath that is nutty roasted goodness of a big brown ale and lots of alcohol vapor. some caramel and vanilla yeah yeah but the aroma is dominated by the resinous smell of the wood.

T- taste is equally as interesting. anise-like caraway and dried orange peel make up the wood flavors for me, and the essential oils of this holy tree must be pretty strong stuff. very solvent like in aroma and flavor. i'm not sure if i like it or not due to the chemical taste. on the big brown ale side, it's hugely roasted and nicely bitter, burnt peanuts and molasses, earthy herbal hops, bitterness 3 ways from the roast, the hops, and the alcohol, and at the same time sweetness from the alcohol esters and malt. finishes all roasted and boozy with some lingering hop flavor and more of that damn wood. to suit my tastes, the palo santo wood could be tuned down just a bit more. its overtakes the aroma and plays much too big of a role in the flavor profile. but it's definitely unique.

MF- luxurious, full, and creamy, delicate carbonation, and full of tannins. DFH website likens this to an oak aged cab and that's exactly what it feels like. i can feel the wood and grape skin on my cheeks, dryness from the alcohol, vinous alpha acids. and a solvent medicinal feeling from that... wood.

D- don't know how to feel about this one. without a doubt it's well crafted, and i can always appreciate coloring outside the lines. the woody resinous spicy sweetness gets to me in a strange way and i'm on the fence that divides like and dislike. i'd turn down another, but i'm glad that i tried one.

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Pours a thick dark brown with just a little less than a finger worth of a creamy dark tan head that fades quickly.

S: Has a strong malty aroma and another smell I haven't smelt before. I can smell the vanilla but there's also a woody smell there too. Very different smell...it might be the palo santo wood. I can also smell the 12% ABV.

T: Wow. This is a different tasting beer, in a good way. The first thing I can taste is the sweet malt but it is quickly melded with a taste of wood. Very different from oak that's for sure. This is much more complex than my taste buds can discern. The alcohol is very well hidden and melds well.

M: A full bodied beer. It has a syrupy texture and leaves me with a warm feeling (must be the 12% ABV).

D: For me, usually barrel aged beer I can enjoy one or two in a sitting, but I think I could drink this all night. A very different but quality beer.

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Deep, dark red-brown body with a small amount of tan head that settles quickly. Nice, syrupy lace.

Sweet raisiny aromas, along with a really nice roasty character, some woodiness, and a rich malty sweetness. Some noticeable alcohol in the background.

Flavors are dominated by a sweet, raisiny malt, along with some molasses, faint wood, hazelnut and a bit of alcohol in the finish.

Full-bodied with a sticky, syrupy texture on the palate. some warmth from that high abv.

Though very sweet and a heavy-hitter as far as ABV is concerned, I could drink a lot of this brew and can't help wondering what sorts of roasted meats would pair best with it.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge, allowed to warm a bit and served in a pint glass (per Dogfish site recommendation).

Aroma: Light aroma overall (from what I expected). Full, malty nose with some roasty/toasted notes. Sweetness that is caramel or brown sugar-like.

Appearance: Black in color (very, very, very dark brown). One finger, very thick, light coffee color head with great retention that leaves a trail. Opaque, even when held to light.

Flavor: Heavy, malty sweetness with no noticeable hops. Earthy, woodiness near finish that hangs on for a bit. Can tell that wood vessel aging was involved. Some dryness at finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate (to high) carbonation. Quite creamy and somewhat smooth. Warmth noticed at the end - back of mouth into the throat.

Overall Impressions: Really a lot going on here (more than I can pick out). It is similar to other barrel aged beers, but very different as well. A very good beer for sitting in front of a fireplace at the end of an evening or enjoying after dinner with a cigar. Would have served it in an oversized wine glass and likely will for the next time. High alcohol for style (4.3%-6.2%), if it actually belongs in this style.

4.54/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

pours a dark brown almost black with minimal brown head which has short retention and almost no lacing.

smell: heavy wood, a few robust roasted malts, as well as some vanilla. very interesting and nice.

tastes awesome. this a unique beer for sure. alot of classic brown ale taste mixed with the unique wood flavor. no alchohol present.

mouthfeel: very smooth. a nice finish and lingering aftertaste

drinkability: without a doubt the most sessionable beer i can find above 10%. fairly affordable too.

Wow. Weird. Weird and Weird. But I like. I think.

I had a really weird reaction to this beer - it caused me my mouth to water. Not like in anticipation, but like in it made my mouth produce a huge amount of spit. How is this possible? I have never had this reaction to anything, ever. Weird.

So anyway.

Pours inky black with a very slight head that falls away quickly. The aroma was ever so familiar, so I sniffed and sniffed. And then I came up with it - lilacs. It reminded me of spring at my grandmother's house.

The flavor was woody and lilac like, with a sweet, smokey, perfumy character. And of course, it made my mouth water furiously, causing me to slobber embarrassingly as I attempted to describe my first sip to my companions. The finish, besides being a little spit soaked, is bitter and malted, like a deep burnt caramel. There's a waft of vanilla back up the throat. The alcoholic punch is readily apparent, though it is less like beer than like a dark, blackstrap rum.

The mouthfeel clings, even as my mouth is fighting back with spit.

Did I mention it makes my mouth water?

Is this a good beer? Jeez, I don't know. I don't expect to drink another of these, but I would say it is worth a try.

I would probably have rated it higher overall without the whole spit thing, which I must admit is a huge turnoff.

4.06/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottled on 04/07/09 printed on the neck so this beer has about 8 months in the bottle.

A- 1 finger deep tan head. It doesnt stick around very long. It fades to just a collar. The beer is a really dark brown thats just about black.

S- At first its really strong on notes of wet wood. There is also a noticeable amount of alcohol in the smell. There are lots of other complexities in this aroma. Chocolate and licorice are also apparent.

T- Coffee, wood and alcohol are the strongest flavors here. Licorice, chocolate and some hops and roasty bitterness finish out the palate. Notes of chocolate and wood linger. This is a very rich brew.

M- Pretty smooth considering the burn of the alcohol which is quite strong. Finishes semi-dry with a stickiness left on the lips. This is pretty heavy, I can feel it in my stomach.

D- Big burn of alcohol here. Its also quite rich and hard to drink fast, but thats a good thing.

3.52/5  rDev -15.8%

12 oz bottle, about 6 months old. The beer pours into my tulip with a very dark, chestnut brown color and a dark tan head. The consistency is fluffy at first but dies down to just a border around the tulip.

The aroma is very strong and yeasty. There is a burnt brown sugar or molasses. I'm also picking up a distinct cigar like aroma as well. Heat from the alcohol is also there, detracting from the aroma a bit.

The first thing I thought when sipping this beer is that its incredibly hot. I also tried this beer side by side with a 1.5 yr old bottle and found that even that much time isn't enough, and didn't really do too much. I would say this needs at least 3-5 years of aging. The flavors of this beer are really interesting though. There is a big roast, a bit of chocolate, and a strong nutty character. I'm not sure what the wood adds to the beer, but I'm betting some of the things I'm tasting come from the wood aging.

Palo Santo is big and rich with a burning finish. This is a very slow, hour plus long sipper. I'll probably stash my other bottles for 5 years and see how it does.

3.28/5  rDev -21.5%

Aroma:
Sweet and slightly alcoholic

Appearance:
Dark, deep brown

Flavor:
I was really expecting to get a very strong woody flavor, but was pleasantly surprised to get a nice chocolate creaminess. The alcohol wasn't too present despite being 12% ABV. There's also a subtle hop finish. Overall, it has a very similar flavor to New Holland's Dragon's Milk Ale. (A good thing in my book.)

Mouthfeel:
Medium thickness and viscosity. Coats the mouth nicely, but doesn't leave your chest burning.

Overall, it's a surprisingly drinkable beer: creamy, hoppy, and packs a punch. Palo Santo ranks as one of my favorite Dogfish brews, though I wouldn't quaff it often.

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

12oz bottle of 2008 vintage poured into my tulip glass

A - Dark viscous motor oil color and consistency with a reddish tint to the glass depending on how you look at it in the light. The head is thin but aggressively grabs the side of the tulip glass.

S - Dark malt, coffee overtones with a sweet toasted alcohol aroma. There is also a distinct moist woody smell in my glass as the result of the Palo Santo wood aging. Spices are evident.

M - light carbonation with a warm spicy alcohol feel. You can feel the bite to the alcohol in your mouth

T- This starts with a malty warm alcohol bite but smooths out nicely with a spicy woody finish. There are hints of fruity and vanilla in this extreme brown ale.

D - Very complex taste that is perfect for a cold fall or winter evening by the fire but the alcohol will catch up to you so be careful. My beer has been cold aged for a year but still tasted very smooth. I would imagine that the fresh version of this beer would have more of a bite to it.

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

Part of a mixed six pack. I've had this unique beer before, but thought I'd lend my two cents on this one this time.

A: Pours a garnet, black and brown with a chocolate milk head. I don't recall this beer looking this good the last time I had it. Very nice.

S: Licorice with hints of wood and chocolate along with subtle alcohol. This is a big beer. The alcohol should peek it's way out. The folks at Dogfish Head did a good job hiding it.

T: Chocolate, fruit and wood with a hint of licorice. I'm not a fan of licorice at all, but the notes of it in this one is okay with me. This is good stuff to savor.

M: Smooth and rich with decent carbonation. Goes down nicely with a slight alcohol burn. Certainly not nearly a burn as it should be considering the 12% abv.

D: Two or three of these would make most, if not all people call it quits. I'd venture to say that after two of these bad boys I'd be good to go. A sipper that is not meant to be quaffed quickly.

3.85/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Probably one of the most unique beers I've ever had and definitely up there on the ABV. Should have read the label more closely in regards to content but anyway...

Appearance - gorgeous brown color nearly black and has a toffee colored head which is minimal and has slight lacing

Smell - smell is exactly like a traditional ale and very complex in all the flavors going on

Taste - sweet, light, fragrant, malty and yet extremely hoppy all at the same time. In the beginning you get all the complex flavors but then at the end the alcohol really started to come through. Made it a bit tough to keep drinking but was lovely none the less.

Mouthfeel - good amount of carbonation however I regretted swishing it around for a bit b/c it let the alcohol sit and when I finished I tasted pure alcohol.

Drinkability - perhaps one of the most unique beers I've had and just as great as I would expect from Dogfish Head. However, the 12% does take effect fast and is in the taste so in terms of drinkability 1 in a night and I'd be done.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Palo Santo Marron, what a unique beer, perhaps should be described as an Imperial Brown. It pours much like a stout, dark and thick, a deep deep brown, nearly black in the glass with just the barest impression of deep ruby around the edges with a creamy chocolate colored head which leaves thick but slippery lacing and forms a foamy collar as it falls which stays to the end.

The aroma is interesting, with dark malts smelling of brandy, hints of chocolate, caramel and dark fruits, also a bit boozy.

The flavor is also unique and quite tasty, especially as it warms up. Dark roasted malts, but not bitter as you would find in a stout, dark brandied fruits (plums and raisins), nice vanilla and hints of chocolate, caramel and licorice along with an additional flavoring, smooth, dark and somewhat woody which must be from the palo santo wood tanks. Somewhat boozy from the 12 % ABV but the alcohol enhances the flavors, weaving in and out, and provides just the smallest amount of heat on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is medium but toward the heavy side and silkily smooth, I mean really really smooth with light carbonation lending a touch of creaminess.

Palo Santo Marron I thought wouldn't be too drinkable because of it's high ABV but it is the exact opposite. It is dangerously drinkable as it warms and the flavors smooth out into the alcohol. This bottle was less than a year old so I fully intend to buy some more of these to set aside as I can only imagine it getting better with time. Highly recomended!

3.82/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Dark Dark Brown. Tan head. Opaque

Smell: Estery. Fruity. Oakey smells. No hops

Taste: Complex flavors from this wood aged beer. Bubblegum, Malts, fruity esters, peanut butter, roasted malts. Not alot of hops here.

Mouthfeel: Hot from the alcohol. Heavy.

Drinkability: A sipper. Very nice and will have again!

Palo Santo Marron from Dogfish Head Brewery