Palo Santo Marron - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Brown Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 11-19-2006

An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree," and its wood has been used in South American wine-making communities.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Palo Santo Marron Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

What a beer. Had to review this one again when I was ready for it. Smell mellow sweet and malty, almost reminiscent of the celebrator. Can't really smell the alcohol despite the 12% presence of it, instead more prominent smells are bready, chocolaty, molasses. Taste is as full as a beer gets, strong woody taste, almost like chewing on wood chips, in as good a way as it can ever be, slightly bitter finish. Really complex, sweet to bitter taste. Feel it balance out and get so smooth from the wood againg and feel the alcohol come out of your nose and warm your mouth. Very nice. Feels so smooth and great, what a beer. If you see this in a store pounce on it.

3.36/5  rDev -19.6%

Black in color with a mildly frothy foam head upon being poured into a pint glass. The foam is a mocha or tannish color. Strong malt nose with some sweet sensations almost like a booze presence. Thick and robust attack with a classic barley wine type of flavor. Mildly sweet flavor that finishes with an alcohol burn. There is a mild but lingering aftertaste that is made up of sweet malt and perhaps wood. Thick and rich mouthfeel. Some smoke notes. I am glad to have tried this, but wouldn't sit around drinking a few of them.

3.41/5  rDev -18.4%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic. "Bottled on: 09/09/08"

A- Deep mahogany/black. Pours with barely 1/2 finger brown head, which settles quickly into a ring of bubbles and oily slick streaks. No lacing noted.

S- Molasses and raisins with a boozy kick. "Wood" notes emerge as it warms.

T- Hard to not have the wood flavors overpower all else. Some bourbon booziness and vanilla. Interesting.

M- Moderate/moderately low carbonation. Full and creamy feeling- thick! Moderately strong alcohol warming on the finish, but not burning. The real highlight of this beer for me.

D- OK, but fairly tough for me to quantify. 12% ABV clearly makes this a one and done sipper in my book, but it does go down fairly smoothly considering. The wood flavors seem to build as consumed, which detracts from the overall drinkability for me.

Future outlook: American Brown Ale? I'd swear I was drinking a big barrel aged RIS if this were put blindly in front of me. Is there such a thing as an "imperial brown ale," because if so, this is it. That being said, I'm beginning to think I'm not fully a fan of most wood-aged brews. This was an interesting offering, but I don't see much need to revisit in the near future.

3.51/5  rDev -16%

12 oz bottle poured into an oversized snifter.

Body is so dark brown it's almost black, with some brownish-red highlights. Just a hint of head that quickly disappears quickly. No lacing (it kind of leaves 'legs' like a wine').

Lots of sweet vanilla in the nose, along with dark malt, molasses, caramel, freshly chopped wood, raisins, a hint of coffee. Plenty of booze in the background. Good smelling stuff.

So much going on in the mouth I'm sure I won't catch all of it. A big 1-2 punch of burnt wood and raisinish alcohol that threaten to overpower everything else. Strong coffee, vanilla, figs, caramel, cocoa powder, a touch of burnt butter(?) at the finish. Really interesting, although not entirely pleasant to me.

Medium+ body, moderate carbonation. The mouthfeel is nice- smooth and creamy.

Drinkability's OK. This is an interesting and complex beer, but the ABV and strong raisinish flavors limited my enjoyment a bit. I would probably split this one with a friend next time.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

I have become a convert to the Dogfish Head line of beers. This is my second try and definitely good.

The beer pours very dark, almost black with a nice chocolate brown head.

It smells malty with some vanilla and a toasty nutty aroma. There is also a slight alcohol smell.

The taste is incredibly complex and layered. At first it has a nice dark roasted nutty flavor. Right after that there are some wonderful vanilla flavors that are imparted from the wood. There are also some nice carmel notes that finish the beer off. And on top of all of that a very subtle alcohol flavor that doesn't negatively affect the flavor of the beer.

The beer feels thick in your mouth, almost more like a porter than a Brown ale like it claims.

A very very good beer that is well made and complex. Definitely worth a try.

3.8/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: Color is almost pitch black. No light was able to pierce through the glass. Tan foamy head. Decent head retention considering the ABV content. Very good lacing.

Aroma: Chocolate coffee aromas are upfront. There is a lingering wood aroma in the background.

Taste: Sweet chocolate flavor. Very rich. Cherries in the aftertaste. I didn't pick up any wood flavoring in this. If they were going for a cherry stout they hit the nail on the head, but it's supposed to be a brown ale aged on wood?

Mouthfeel: Velvety and slightly heavy on the tongue. Nice low carbonation.

3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

A--For a brown ale this sure does look black. Held up to the light I'm struggling to find any highlights. A semi-hard pour gets slightly less than a finger of head that recedes quickly but leaves a thin layer over the top. Lacing is trying its best to stick but its struggling.

S--There is a pronounced boozy smell that overshadows the rich layers underneath. Slightly too much, kind of like a fresh Bourbon County Stout but not as strong. Vanilla, wood, and roasted malt peek through.

T--The wood taste comes through HUGE. It didn't taste as boozy as the smell would have suggested, which is a plus for my palette. Bourbon, vanilla, malt, maybe some caramel but all fairly well balanced other than the wood. This tastes good but I have a feeling I would like it more with at least a year of age on it.

M--Probably as heavy of a mouthfeel as a "brown ale" will ever get. Very thick and creamy, almost as even the thickest of stouts. For a comparison I would say it is just a tad thinner than Speedway Stout. Awesome.

D--One and done. I couldn't get down two of these if I tried. I would like to age one of these for a while and see how it turns out, I have a feeling that it would be even better and much easier to drink.

This is a very unique beer, but if booziness is not your thing it may turn you off. No matter what though, it is unquestionably impressive.

4.35/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a brandy snifter at cellar temperature

A-Thick opaque motor oil black with a thin tan head that fades quickly with decent lacing. Brown ale? Hmm...looks more like a stout to me.

S-Deep roasted malts and a whiff of alcohol

T-Sticky extreme sweetness of brown sugar coats the palate, with roasted (but slightly burned) vanilla and honey, then an alcoholic licorice kicks in mid palate along with caramel, and dark fruits with the ABV buzzing across the tongue in a finish that lasts forever. This is a very interesting beer. One might say it is stout-like, but it is devoid of any coffee or mocha characteristics. It would make a hell of a winter warmer and reminds me of some of the stronger, more highly spiced varieties with some Belgian quad thrown in for good measure. ABV is hidden until the finish, and though high, it is not overpowering.

M-Thick, chewy, viscous, and perfectly matched for the style.

D-This is extremely drinkable, but two maybe would be the tops. It is delicious and incredibly rich, but I think one is enough for tonight. I look forward to my next, however. Finally, I'd say this may be a palate killer...not sure what I'd feel like drinking after this as it is a singular experience.

Brown Ale, no friggin way! I'm not sure what it is, but it defies style, unless you label it as a generic winter warmer or a Belgian strong ale but I love it.

Kudos to DFH for this tasty number!

3.88/5  rDev -7.2%

A very dark brown, almost black with a one finger tan head which leaves excellent lacing. Sharp looking brew.

Smells of charred wood, alcohol, and in the background a hint of vanilla.

Tastes also of charred wood and alcohol. I wasn't able to pick up any vanilla.

Mouthfeel was very good. Smooth and slippery, yet with just enough carbonation to keep it from being flat and unexciting.

It was nice to drink a beer of this style which didn't taste like I was drinking a cup of coffee laced with alcohol as so many others do. I can't say this is a beer I'd care to have more than one of in one sitting, but it was enjoyable and one which, in the right situation, I'd have again.

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

A- Rich dark black color with a thin caramel head. Nice fluffy head that discipated quickly. No lacing really to speak of and not much carbonation.

S- Very strong earthy woody smell. Deffinate vanilla notes with a very distinctive wood smell. Unlike any I have ever had, unique. Rich toasted grain with some bitter aftertaste.

T- Very strong wood flavor. More pronounced than oak. Found out the reason for the name is the wood that is used to age this beer. Unique notes of vanilla and coffee. Nice amount of alcohol that twisted your taste buds on the aftertaste.

M/D- Soft and light. Nice sipper but watch out they can hurt you. I picked up a growler of this beer on my way out. Liked it alot.

3.77/5  rDev -9.8%

This beer had its ups and downs. I liked the smell and taste, perhaps the 2 most important parts, but wasnt huge on the rest. Pours dark with thinner mocha head. Good retention, no lacing. Smell was strong on vanilla, alcohol, toasted, and dark caramel. This was one of the "woodiest" beers I've ever had, the whole wood/oak flavor really comes through in the taste. Also notice the vanilla, caramel, burnt grain, and dry malt. A very warming alcohol burn as it goes down. Medium mouthfeel with a velvety texture and plesant aftertaste. Overall a good beer but the ABV was just too high and the alcohol came through quite dramatically on this beer.

3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

This bottle was donated to the cause by my good friend bjones10. Thanks Brian.

This is an interesting brew for sure. Before drinking, I advise reading about it's making because this adds a whole layer of depth to the experience. Check this article out:

A: Poured into a snifter, it is a viscous dark chocolate color. It delivered a small espresso colored head that dissipates to a wisp on the surface and a thin ring. There's a small amount of spotty lacing but it never promises to deliver anything more.

S: Deep roasted malt, dark bitter chocolate, bitter coffee, vanilla and alcohol. The whisky-like alcohol becomes stronger as the drink progresses. I have to be honest that I am just not a fan of beers that scream heavy alcohol. It's just my personal taste.

T: Holy moly. Interesting stuff. It was worth getting that wood from the jungle because I am not quite sure you could produce that flavor easily any other way. First blush was a kinda vanilla and licorice. A deeper tasting revealed a licorice tangy sweetness, a spiciness with a deep, earthy, rich, burned, smokey, roasted malt. It's a hard flavor to put into words. At times, it has the dryness and dark fruit which gives it a dry red wine quality. Are you getting the impression from reading this that I am finding it complex? ☺ There's an alcohol burn there but not too bad. It definitely has that warming effect as you sip. I am not someone who goes wild with flavor descriptions in reviews but I have to admit that I feel like I may not have adequately covered off on all the things going on in this brew. You are just going to have to try it for yourself.

M: Mouthfeel is full, smooth and a little slick. There is a surprising amount of fine carbonation which works for me. I think it could become too heavy without the liveliness that the carbonation brings.

D: This may be classified as a brown ale by DFH but it has no business being called a brown ale. It's more like a strong ale but can come across in some ways like a RIS. I loved having the opportunity of trying it. It is definitely a great beer but it's too sweet and tangy and heavy in alcohol for my personal taste. At 12ABV, the beer is in the drivers seat - not the poor fool who is sipping it. You have to give it a try. It's one of those beers that makes you re-evaluate what beers are and can be. DFH may be surrounded by ridiculous hype but drinking a brew like this reminds me that their brand reputation is built on some real beer making prowess and pioneering spirit.

4.67/5  rDev +11.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Dark, probably the darkest and thickest looking brown I've had. Small thin chocolate colored head quickly resolves to little more than a film around the edge of the glass.

S - Without even putting the glass to my nose, I could smell the alcohol. At first you would almost think it a stout. Deep scents of dark chocolate dominate with hints of coffee. Beyond that sweeter fruits cherries, dates and figs can be detected with some molasses maltiness.

T - Very sweet on the front, could almost think this a belgian dark strong because of the spices you taste in the front along with strong raisin and apple tastes. Immediatley followed my some hoppy balance and some bitterness from the dark chocolate flavor. The finish is straight alcohol. Wonderful.

M - Heavy bodied with excellent carbonation, alcohol warming is perfect and keeps the mouth tingling for a while.

D - So very drinkable, but such a high alcohol content, I may need a taxi after a few of these.

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

A= Pours a thick syrupy black color light barely shines through when I hold it up to the light. A very thin brown head comes up and then falls fast to a ring around the glass.
S= Lots of wood and vanilla coming from the smell. Some darker malts also come in and maybe a little maple syrup as well.
T= Very woody! Tasty vanilla and coffee chocolate flavor. Great flavor and very unique complexity. A slight alcohol touch is noticeable as well.
M= Thick and covering is the best way I can describe it.
D= Pretty good. Nice beer. I'm really happy I got to try it and I will be seeking it out again soon. Great beer.

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: Damn this "brown" pours like a stout. It appears a very dense dark brown to black. The head is nice and calming, a peanut butter color and creamy. The head was initially a good 1/4", but dissipates to barely cap the surface. There was very subtle lacing.

S: The nose is full of sweet rich vanilla tones on an oaky/woody background. Reminiscent of molasses and sugar cookies. This beer simply smells like a dessert table during the holidays. Amazing how the alcohol is hidden within these bakery sweet aromas.

T: Very oaky with a burst of alcohol. Abundant licorice/sassafras flavors with undertones of sweet caramel. Subtle hints of vanilla pair well with the alcohol. Very cognacesque.

M: Surprisingly, this beer was on the lighter side of medium bodied with very lively carbonation. This was completely unexpected, and the beer was much lighter than I had anticipated. The alcohol could be felt with the deep down warming sensation of your insides.

D: This beer is very unique and extremely complex. It is very enjoyable but the 12% ABV is easily the limiting factor. Not so much in an overbearing taste but in the compromised ability for me to continue standing.

3.7/5  rDev -11.5%

Appearance: Pours a rich, dark mahogany-brown. Nice creamy head and some lacing. You could easily confuse it with a RIS or BSDA.

Smell: Dark malts, caramel, toffee, merlot, sweet molasses (not blackstrap), nutty, with some fresh-cut wet, young wood and fruits (raisin, cherry, strawberry, plum).

Taste: Similar - dark malts, wheat bread, caramel, toffee, nuts, fresh-cut wet (not oak, this has a touch of pepper and cinnamon), young wood, fruits (raisin, cherry, strawberry, plum).

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, nice carbonation

Drinkability: 12%? Really? Did not notice or taste it at all.

4.01/5  rDev -4.1%

I tried a 12 ounce bottle of Palo Santo Marron brewed by Dogfish Head. As soon as I opened the bottle an overwhelming aroma of wood enticed my flavor sensors. The appearance was the same as any aged brown ale, but the aroma was absolutely incredible! The Paraguayan Palo Santo wood truly made for a unique "Holy" experience. This is yet another great beer from the definition of American Breweries, Dogfish Head. The initial almost over barring flavor of burnt sweet wood hits the tip of your tongue. Then as the alcohol starts to tingle a wonderful caramel, and vanilla flavor comes out. This beer would work perfectly with a nice steak.

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%

Had on tap at City Beverage. 10 oz pour into a Chimay goblet.

Appearance: Dark, dark brown, almost black, with a surprisingly full layer of off-white, slightly brown, head. The head took awhile to subside, and a thin layer of brown foam lingered for most of the glass. Considering the ABV, I was impressed.

Smell: No hiding the booze in this one. Alcohol, mixed with caramel and coffee notes, some vanilla seep through. Very balanced on the nose. Not as powerful of an aroma as I would have expected, but still, very nice.

Taste: Wow. The alcohol is definitely present, but it doesn't burn - instead, it complements the rest of the flavors. Caramel, coffee, and vanilla all combine for an exceptionally smooth taste. This doesn't taste like any brown ale I've ever had before...it's closer to a baltic porter. Very, very well done. The finish is smooth and satisfying.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, and perfectly carbonated. Not thick enough to be chewy, but that's not what I'd want in a brown ale anyway. Coats the tongue and mouth.

Drinkability: Well, one was definitely enough, but this isn't the type of beer you'd want more than one of at a time, anyway. Great sipping beer, and one I very much enjoyed. This would make a great substitute for when I'm craving a stout anytime. Glad I had this.

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

very nice dark brown.. deep in color.. scent was sweet to the nose .. hints of vinilla and sweet malts..taste was powerful.. reminded me of a after dinner beer.very sweet and smooth.. no more than one flavors start to be over powering.. one thing that stand out was a nice head for a bit to good lacing on my glass.. cheers

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle (bottled date: 2/11/08) into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours black with ruby red edges. Tan head fades fast.

S: Dark malt, caramel, and a hint of vanilla. A bit of alcohol in the nose as well.

T: Rich toasted malt with a good dose of caramel. A hint of sweet vanilla in there as well. It's a bit boozy. Big, rich, bold, complex, and tasty.

M: Full bodied, low carbonation.

D: Definitely don't want to drink more than one of these at a time due to the ABV. It's a bit hot but not as bad as you'd expect with the 12%. I loved the story about Sam Caglione building a giant barrel out of this exotic and aromatic wood.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Purchased in CA (whoo hoo!) and poured into my brand-new DFH stemmed goblet thanks to my awesome fiancee!

Looks elegant like a fine glass of red wine but with fizz! One dark brown beer, looks like a dubbel. Some foam but not much, which I've found typical of DFH from day one.

Huge sweet malty nose accented by notes of old dusty wood. Smells a lot like a dubbel too.

Great tasting, well made beer. Main tones come from the malt; sweet, carmel, sticky, deep dark multi grain bread, some dustiness, even a bit of a red wine character. Alcohol? What alcohol? I must force myself to slow down and enjoy the subtleties!

Big time dubbel qualities while maintaining it's own thing, and still more drinkable than most quads! Lots of dark dried fruit esters accent the Belgian appeal.

Chewy mouthfeel, light on carbonation and dense from the big malt body. Refreshing qualities keep it from becoming too thick or syrupy, though both are there and kept in check.

One of my favorite DFH offerings to date. Really good stuff with cellar potential; I think this one is about 6-8 months old in the bottle.

Seek and consume. Bring WWS and 60 Minute to CA please! Cheers!

4.48/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Dark brown/near black translucent body with a dark yellow-tan head that dissipates quickly.
S: Smells really sticky and sweet. Dark malts, milk chocolate mixed with raisins and figs. Also caramelized malts mixed with bitter, almost tasteless green apple. Just off the smell, feel like the taste will be cloying.
T: Not as intense, and pleasantly so, as was expecting from the smell. Alcohol not very noticeable, especially given the 12%. The figs jump out at the beginning, but switch into a smoked woody flavor. Finishes with a bit of pine and butter.
M: Not like any brown ale I've had before. Not too thick but still pretty heavy.
D: Could be dangerous.

4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a very dark brown that is almost black with a thin tan lacing of a head.

Lots of roasted and burnt character in the nose. Some fig and caramel hints.

Very smooth flavor and just the trace of that 12% alcohol in the finish. Very beautifully wound together after a year in the cellar. Nice big malt background with a trace of vanilla and lots of burnt malts. There is an earthy feeling from this that has to be the palo santo wood. The finish really makes me feel like I'm around the camp fire. So smooth with a nice bite at the end.

This is a very good brown ale and it's most certainly off-center.

I think this aged well and rounded some of the edges. This becomes a very drinkable brown ale

4.52/5  rDev +8.1%

Unlike others here I am a writer who also happens to be an extreme lover of fine beer, not a "pro" reviewer, so take this for what it's worth.

The remarkably fruity esters of this brew are of such a delicious nature, full of strong notes of peach, cherry, vanilla, and grape, framed by sensual under-aromas of oaky herbosity, that the thick fragrances of them literally set my saliva glands into hyperdrive. I long for the first sip, but can not bring my nose away from the rim of my glass. I swirl it. Each inhale is different from its predecessor. The peach is strong, then the cherry, the vanilla fades but does not desist, and as it settles in the glass the caramely goodness of it comes through more strongly, behind it the warmth of alcohol, hidden no more, beckoning. My saliva glands celebrate increasingly with fits of anticipation and joy.

The look of this is remarkable as well. It is astoundingly thick. It is brutally opaque. It is deepest darkest mahogany brown. It lives and breathes like some benevolent and all-knowing alien in my glass. A thin, dark beige head quickly dissipates, but leaves ample clinging waves of lace. It is so thick I can barely see carbonation without looking closely. I have the feeling I could use a spatula and peel the lace like batter.

The first sip. Ahh, the reward for prolonging this. I am greeted by a starburst of fruit and alcohol, a firework of flavor, cherry, peach, watermelon, caramel, vanilla, deep malted darkness, which holds for an impossibly long time. It is almost edible, so thick and rich is this, it could be a bakery item if it were congealed. My mind stimulates through a wonderful registry of these finest tastes, each understanding hits notes of happiness, ones only rarely activated.

The finish eventually comes, the brew is so thick I seem to swallow it in slow motion. This is not beer, it is an epiphany, a poem; a song dedicated to all that is fine in the world. It is an extension of the sip and a crescendo of the same themes, climaxing finally in Miles Davis sharp yet rounded notes of heat, ending in mystery that lingers and becomes lusciously indefinable.

Two more sips. The warmth accentuates the beauty of the flavor, the darker, wine-like notes expand, the fruitiness and vanilla morph into a danker representation . One more sip. I close my eyes. The flavor becomes even more robust and seductive, it is like an acid trip for my tongue and nose.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Purchased around a year ago from Leo's in So. Pt. OH; I picked up two and drank the first early last year. Revisiting it.

Bottle to wine glass, deep amber-tinged dark chestnut pour, one finger red-brwon head that quickly thins but doesn't go away. Some globs of foam stick to the glass but no lacing.

Full, malty aroma, sweet and some anise - total effect is similar to Jagermeister

Malty but not overly sweet. vanilla and cantaloupe presence which is odd. Alcohol notes.

Round mouthfeel at times but often a crisper, drier finish than expected.

Good, solid drinkability but I wouldn't want more than one a sitting.

Overall, it's a very good beer even though it's something I'd really only want every few months.

Palo Santo Marron from Dogfish Head Brewery