Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: dherling on 02-26-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,925 | Reviews: 1,320

It is my favorite time of year right now because Festina is on the shelves in Total Wine or you might be lucky enough to find this beer to drink on tap. I have had this beer on tap as well as from the bottle on many occasions, and I have yet to be disappointed.

I can drink a ton of this beer especially during the hot summer months in Florida. The ABV is not ridiculously high that you can only have a couple before you are buzzed. It is delicious and refreshing. It is a shame that this beer is seasonal, but it does always give me something to look forward to.

I love the tartness of this beer and the fruit flavor. It is not too overpowering or too sour that it isn't enjoyable. Dogfish can pull this beer off, but I am sure it is not everyone's favorite.

4.96/5  rDev +35.9%

This is a very bubbly and fruity beer. Fairly low in abv in comparison to many Dogfish Head brews. This is more like a simplistic champaign, offering lovely peach notes and carbonation. Great in a fat tulip glass or perhaps even a flute. It's extremely tasty and bold in color.

4.94/5  rDev +35.3%

Probably the "ne plus ultra" of fruit beers. A category I usually dislike on account of the oft sickly sweetness, Sam Caligione gets it right, letting the yeast eat up all the residual sugars and leaving behind just the flavor, not the sweet. Tart like a lambic, but without the Brett funk. I can see why some beer drinkers might balk - its not really "beery" and reads more like a dry Cava on the palate. Crazy good with seafood, especially shellfish. Great with a plate of raw oysters and a lobster roll. Used a bottle to steam some mussels and clams - awesome. A knockout, if not the most beery of beers.

4.92/5  rDev +34.8%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass on a very hot and humid July day in Chicago.

Slightly musty aroma.

Quite tart, "gleeky". Lemonadey, almost astringent. Very refreshing. I wouldn't have guessed that there was peach in it if the label hadn't told me. Tiny bit of fruity sweetness. Bit of horsey funk in nose and mouth --- this beer used some wild yeasts and/or souring bacteria. No hops bitterness. A slightly dry, very pleasant, Germanic hops aftertaste.

I don't seek out light beers or weissbiers, but this is the most enjoyable example that I have encountered. 5 out of 5.

4.85/5  rDev +32.9%

This is one of my favorite beers of all time.

Pours a murky yellow with a white head.

Acidic like lemonade with unripe peaches and a certain creaminess that's wonderful. Try it on a hot day and you'll never go back.

I wish this were available in my state, it is the ultimate summer beer. I'm not sure why this doesn't get higher reviews.

4.83/5  rDev +32.3%

I had never heard of this one before but the label caught my eye and the description sounded interesting.
A: hazy pale yellow/gold in color with a thin foamy white head that quickly dissipates.
S: aromas of tart fruit and some yeast, has a sort of saison funk to the aroma.
T: whoa! this is delish!! The aromas really come forward in the taste. I wouldn't call the fruit undertones peachy, it's there but it's more of a tart fruit undertone, not sour but tart. Taste like a lighter form of a saison not so yeasty which I love.
M: pretty low carbonation leaves mouth completely dry on the aftertaste, which is somehow refreshing, almost as if the beer sucks all the moisture from your mouth.
O.A. : I wish I would have bought a four pack of this one, despite the 15.99 price point it would have been worth it!

4.82/5  rDev +32.1%

I've been awaiting this one since it's "preview" at the EBF '07. One of my favorite styles of beer and perfect in the summer. A nice alternative to the seemingly endless pale wheat ales put out by other breweries in the summer.

Poured from the 12oz.bottle into a pilsner glass the beer is a hazy golden color with more than two-fingers of fluffy pure white head that blossoms over the glass and was quick to fade. Some sticky lacing throughout.

The nose had a soft peach aroma, very mild with some lemon(ade) aromas and fresh cut grass.

The tartness hits the palate upfront and grabs the tounge depriving it of moisture. A nice sour pucking follows up and the peach is barely detectable. (I thought the peach was more predominate at the EFB, I'm glad is was less present in the bottles). A dry finish that again sucks out the moisture of the mouth and puckers the lips. Crisp and quenching with soft citrus notes and a little lemon.

Th body is light, crisp, and dry ... spot on for the style.

Very drinkable, very enjoyable, perfect for the season. This will be a beer I buy up now and look forward too each summer. Well done.

4.82/5  rDev +32.1%

One of my favorite summer beers. Even better on tap, of course!

Non-clear golden color with virtually no head. You can lightly smell the tart fruit and malt. A smoother tartness on tap with light fruit and malt flavor. The peach is not in the forefront. It's blended nicely with the malts... the tartness is the main thing. DFH dialed back the tartness a bit for 2010, and I think it is perfect now. Lovely mouthfeel for summer. High drinkability since it's so light and tart.... very refreshing on a hot summer day.

4.79/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

So peachy good! Light and crisp. Smells good and tastes better!

4.77/5  rDev +30.7%

on tap at the Sugap Maple in Milwaukee on July 17, 2009. pours a clear golden color with a single finger of tight white head that has decent retention and light lacings.

aroma is of light wheat malt and a light note of sweet/sourness. somewhat ephemeral in the nose with a pleasant aura, albeit simple.

taste is of light breaded malt with a subtle sour character. distant notes of apple are present as well. overall the profile is lightly fruity, which feeds off of the sour note in the background. perfectly proportioned and wonderfully flavorful in the glass.

mouthfeel is light bodied and a touch tart on the palate with a mildly effervescent character. goes down smooth with a light bite from the sour note. very well put together.

drinkability is great. very fresh and perfectly proportioned, this light, easy going brew has the perfect amount of sourness while not taking away from its other qualities. all this comes together into a dangerously drinkable weiss beer that is perfect for a hot summer day or for a session out at night. cheers!

4.74/5  rDev +29.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Poured a hazy yellow with a nice head that dissipated rather quickly

Strong smell of peach, lemon, and beer. The smell of this beer concentrated in the tulip glass makes my mouth water. Very intrigued.

Taste is sour with a very upfront peach taste. Some lemon. Man I love the taste. This beer is delicious!

Mothfeel is medium. Aftertaste fade to a peachy goodness.

Overall a great beer. I think peach is my favorite fruit flavor for a beer and this beer has inspired me to try some peach lambics. Just a great summertime brew! Gracias Dogfish!

4.74/5  rDev +29.9%

A: Pour a crystal clear golder yellow. White head that fades quick. Really no head retention on this one, and lacing is minimal.

S: Peaches. Some slight bread and malty notes.

T: From the smell you would think the peach character on this would be very present in the taste, its actually not so. The is a peachy presence but it is in the background. This beer is rather tart and almost reminds me of a dry peach cider if that makes sense. Really nice.

M: Heavy carbonation. Crisp and refreshing. Definitely a decent summertime drinker.

O: This beer is pretty odd, but if you enjoy fruitier dry beers this one is definitely worth a shot. I will be purchasing more.

4.72/5  rDev +29.3%

A= This beer pours a nice slightly hazy yellow color with a great two finger head on it as well as some spotty lacing. The head doesn't last too long but has a little bit of retention.

S= Lots of wheat in the smell with a decent amount of lemon. The peaches are there but they are quite subdued. Nice wheat smell to it though. A little grainy and grassy. Decent Berliner.

T= Awesome taste to this beer. Wow. I can't believe people bad mouth this beer sometimes. The taste is realy nice on the wheat side when you exhale after the swallow. Your hit with nice acid tartness to it. There is a nice lemon taste on the back of the tongue as well as some peach. The peach is really quite subdued but still a little present on the back of the tongue.

M= The mouth actually feels a lot like some spritzy lemonade.

D= Love this beer. My favorite summer seasonal I've ever had actually. There is a nice complexity to it but the best thing is just how refreshing this is. Lovely beer.

4.7/5  rDev +28.8%

Pours a hazy golden yellow with visible carbonation.

Plenty of pilsner malt and straw in the nose. Some peach in the aroma.

Sweetness up front with plenty carbonation and dose of tartness to finish. The sweetness up front is slightly syrupy but this is overall deliciously light in taste with just the right amount of sweetness and subtle peach to please the palate. Then there is generous tart punch that leaves you craving more.

This is a great summer seasonal that isn't done often enough. Why didn't I find this earlier? You gotta try this!

4.67/5  rDev +27.9%

This was my first sour beer and I was not sure what to expect. The beer pours anperfect golden color with light carbonation. It looks like a sparkling beverage. The smell is pleasant - you pick up the peach right away.

The flavor on this is wonderful. At first I got a light peach taste, and then sour when I swishes it around. The aftertaste is a light tart taste. I enjoyed this in a glass outside on a hot summer day. It really is a perfect summer beer and I'm eager to pick up more. Not too boozy so its easy to knock back a few of these at a BBQ.

4.65/5  rDev +27.4%

Poured into a shaker pint on tap at Meridian Pint DC. Had this in the past out of the bottle and wasn't too impressed but that was some time ago.

Super stupid foamy super staying power white head. With a very cloudy dull yellow, with very fast hard to see rising carbs. Can't get over this head it's like muted whip cream with stick, incredible. I could spread this or dollop it on a bowl of strawberries or something.

Bouquet is incredibly soapy and perfume smelling. Perfume bent of sour fruit and shampoo, mild tannic peach pit seed, with a small hint of malt. I dig this, it smells like a tasty shampoo bottle that you know you shouldn't drink... but oh yeah... we are gonna do it baby, cause you know you want to.

Taste is an unreal combination of flavors. Jolly Rancher sour candy mostly of sour lemon, with an incredibly unexpected baked bread finish not anticipated with all the sourness in front. Sweet bread bakery dough with mild peach on the swallow, and floral perfume notes. I can't get over the feel of this beer, it's borderline creamy with a fruit explosion. Gentle sour candy and cream and malt beer character, it's almost as if this is the perfect beer lemonade. Stupidly low abv and high drinkability and palate packing punch!

Overall I have not had this style before, or a traditional Berliner Weiss say... "from the old original country". I would love to try one for comparison but this I think is just one of those things in craft where Sam and company have struck gold. And hell yeah it's nothing like it out of the bottle, it's fantastic on tap.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Light straw appearance with little head that vanished quickly

light peach smell with a touch of floral

Nice taste of peach but not over bearing. The peach was in the finish more than at any other point. Had a sample out of a keg and it was much more pronounced

very drinkable. Summer pool side beer

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow color, with a thin white head. The head fades fast, leaving minimal lacing, but a thin layer of head.

This beer has a grainy aroma. Behind that, I smell a subtle peach aroma. It has a slight spicy hop aroma. It also smells slightly tart.

This beer tastes much like it smells. It has a tart, slightly sour flavor. The peach flavor is sublte, but good. It has a grainy flavor also.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It goes down smooth, leaving a tart peach aftertaste. It is carbonated well.

This beer would probably make a great session beer. It is low in alcohol, and it tastes great. The tart flavor might become overbearing after a while, but I still think it would be easy to put back a few.

Overall: Thanks go out to Himerman for hooking me up. This beer is great.

4.6/5  rDev +26%

Straw, wheaty gold. Very pale. Initially pours with a full two fingers of head, fizzing like soda and dying out to nothing. Completely hazy.
Smells sour and fruity. Green apple and under-ripe peach, fresh off the tree you pick yourself at the orchard.
The flavor opens up light and airy, with a purely summertime feel. If this isn't refreshing, I don't know what is. The carbonation is effervescent, yet mellow and finely bubbled. Lightly flavored green apple tartness with the essence of peach. The flavors intermingle effortlessly, finishing off with barely a trace of floral hops and refreshing fruity sourness. Excellent, interesting and unusual. Who makes a berliner weisse in regular production? I could drink the four pack on the back stoop in one sitting, easy.

4.6/5  rDev +26%

I would rate this beer higher if it didn't make me look crazy.
But honestly, what is wrong with this beer?
The answer is nothing. It is exactly what it was intended to be.

Super clean malts. Super clean taste. Bitterness does not exist with this baby.
However, tartness does. And that's what it excels at.
Few beers can I drink as quickly as I can down one of these. Especially in the summer.

All tart peach with no syrup like, garbage sweetness. Just enough sweet to keep you drinking, but the star here is the tart peach flavor.

Does it need to be anything else? No, absolutely not. Insanely addictive. I remember when DFH first came out with this beer, I was worried about how much I would see it on the shelves. Luckily it has become a staple, I see it all the time now, and deservedly so. As I am writing this review I haven't had this beer in over a month, but as soon as I feel consecutive 90+degree days again, I'll be going to it....

4.6/5  rDev +26%

Great sour beer! Tasty and only slightly acidic. Clean, crisp and delicious.

4.59/5  rDev +25.8%

The Festina Peche is a very light yet snappy beer. The peach immediately jumps out when you are smelling it. I had this beer literally after mowing my yard, and it smelled like 12oz of heaven. The beer has a very light feel (I would compare it to the feel of a half-breed of beer and champagne). While the beer tastes good, it is decisively peach and I could only have one or two before I had to move onto something else.

When visiting a Dogfish Head Alehouse, I was given the recommendation to mix the Festina Peche with their 90 Minute IPA. This is perhaps the wisest thing I have ever done, and my wife greatly appreciated it. For most people that do not drink a lot of IPA, they are turned off by the "excessive" hop taste (Being from Seattle, I do not think there is a such thing). With mixing in the Festina Peche, it cut away at the "excessive hop flavor" without taking away from the essence of the IPA. It was easy on the palette yet went down like an IPA. I liked it so much I got a growler filled with 2/3 90 Minute IPA and 1/3 Festina Peche.

4.59/5  rDev +25.8%

I think this is a really nice beer. From an appearance standpoint, it looks like it's going to be light and refreshing, which is exactly what it ends up being. Pale, clear color with a wispy and pure white head that settles out rather quickly.

Super vibrant aromas of peach and citrus hit you out of the glass and are followed by tart and correct flavors of the same with a nice petulance. I could drink the hell out of this beer even though it wasn't one I immediately reached for.

But right now it's like 100 degrees and I'm having a hell of a time thinking of anything else that would be working better.

4.57/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I really like this beer a lot . It's not overwhelmingly peachy, just enough fruity without being wimpy. Goes great with summer.

4.56/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The fact I can see it as an excuse for the next few weeks of

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery