Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Festina PêcheFestina Pêche

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: dherling on 02-26-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,307 | Hads: 4,043

I couldn't get past the sour. I ended up breaking my own rule...never dump a beer. That is the first beer in my life I ever purposely dumped down the drain. Sorry Dogfish. (171 characters)

I actually had to throw this beer away. First time that has ever happened. No Peach aroma at all, and so sour it was undrinkable. Maybe i got a bad batch but I am super disappointed. (183 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -69.1%

Tried this based on a recommendation from the beer store employee. I won't be doing that again. The appearance on the pour was fine. Everything went down hill and fast at the smell. Needless to say it smelled like vomit and literally tasted like it. To be fair I had the girlfriend and an unsuspecting neighbor try it to validate my opinion (the neighbor was compensated for the agony), consensus was the same all the way around. Save your money and appetite, try something else. (479 characters)

1.13/5  rDev -68.9%

This should not even be called beer as it has NO similarity to anything I have ever tasted before. Besides smelling like my dog's wizz (seriously, the wife agreed) it tastes more like watered down sour lemonaide. There is no fizz, no head and no appeal, period, at all.

I was so put off by this beer that I took time to write this review and it is the only one I have ever posted. And, for the record Dogfish Head produces several of my favorite beers including the 60 minute IPA and the Punkin' Head. (502 characters)

1.21/5  rDev -66.7%

A: Completely opaque yellow, but no head or lace what-so-ever.

S: Very citrus/fruity kind of smell. Not necessarily peach, but close.

T: Fuck this was horrible. Sorry for the language, but that was the very first sensation I had. It was so citrusy. I tasted like someone squeezed a lemon and peach together.

M: Acidic. Very acidic.

D: I just handed this drink off to a girl who thought it tasted good.

Honestly, if that is your style just go with one of those disgusting zima or smirnoff wine coolers. (506 characters)

1.36/5  rDev -62.5%

Where to start. Piss, lemons and acid. This is a terrible beer. No malt backbone, and taste of lemons mixed with piss. No head and a total lack of carbonation. I have sined and actually poured the rest of it down the drain. Sorry. Next time ill pass on this poor choice. (270 characters)

1.37/5  rDev -62.3%

This beer is not what I like to drink. To me it's more a soda beverage with some beer added to it. Very tart and smells like rubber. Very thin head disappearing quickly. I couldn't finish the bottle. I don't think I will ever wish to try this beer again. (254 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -60.6%

Never hit a woman, Never "sink" a beer...not this time (I HAD to break one of the rules) Way to sour, to the point of undrinkability. I'm not a fan of sours but this one is a special in my books. Meh. (200 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -60.6%

Don't know why this has a high rating, I think this beer is completely undrinkable. Way too sweet, weak flavor, actually tastes more like a sparkling wine then it does beer, and not a good wine at that.

I am a big fan of other Dogfish beers (the 90 minute is simply amazing) but they really need to stop making this beer all together. If you are into sweet-light beers there are many others with better flavor that you can choose from, Dogfish Black & Blue, Allagash White, or even a Leines Summer Shandy. All I feel are more drinkable. (538 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -57.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Initial Thought: Basically, tastes more like a Bud Light with sweet tarts dissolved in it.

I can barely tell this is a Wheat beer ...

Will not buy again... This is my first Dogfish Head beer and just might be my last. I will give them one more try.

3/4 of the way into the first one and I have no plans to drink the other three.... This honestly is one of the worst beers I have ever had.

Crap. (399 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -57.3%

I am slightly addicted to Dogfish Head, so I even had to try this one.

The beer pours out with a color of orange, very cloudy and swampy. No head at all, obviously.

Yeasty peach scent rises up really strong. Hints of corn and wheat.

The taste was not good at all. I took a sip and immediately wanted to spit it out. This is a watery carbonated peach juice that is sitting in the pantry until three days after its expiration date. This is like mixing cheap champagne with peach juice.

The feel is like flat soda, lightly carbonated. Faygo that has been sitting in the fridge, opened for the last two months.

Obviously, I didn't like it. I can drink some of these fringe malt beverages and not hate them, but this was just sour. (731 characters)

1.55/5  rDev -57.3%

Poured a light wheaty amber. Smelled rubbery for some strange reason. The taste was of malt liquour--sort of like peach Smirnoff. It didn't feel or taste good at all. I took a four pack to a BBQ, dumped the one I tried and left 3 for the hostess on the off chance she likes strange, slightly fruity malt liquour. (312 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -55.9%

I am hesitant to review this beer, especially as its my first review here, because I had such a bad experience with the beer that I must have had a bad batch.

Beer was served on tap at the Brickstore.

I will start with the good news. The appearance of the beer was a fantastic straw wheat golden color that looked like the essence of sumer. With a warm, humid, southern evening being the setting, just looking at the beer quenched my thirst.

The mouthfeel was perfect for a summer beer. Smooth, soft and cascaded down my throat.

However...

The aroma was awful. Peach was nowhere to be found. What I could detect was a sort of peaty, rotten aroma typical of a Single Malt. With the carbonation, the smell became repulsive.

Flavor was equally bad. I could tell that there was a good base beer here and would drink that without the peach extract. Good spicy floral wheat beer characteristics that make a fantastic summer beer. But, the peach did not taste like peach and indeed, me, my dining partner, and waitress all commented that it tasted more like, well, certain bodily functions.

Reading other reviews, I am convinced that this had to be a bad keg. Reinforcing my belief is that my waitress told me that she has yet to find a customer who enjoyed the beer.

So, I would suggest that readers take this with a grain of salt.

Also, I am interested if anyone had a similar experience. (1,413 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -55.9%

Pours cloudy and translucent pale lemon yellow. Medium white head that was quick to fade.

Smells like wheat and Lemonheads candy.

Tastes like Lemonheads, Sour Patch Kids, Sweet Tarts and every other sour candy you can think of mixed with pure lemon juice. REALLY sour.

I guess no one is perfect, even Dogfish.

via duffextracold (331 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -55.1%

A - Pours an almost water clear with a faint hint of yellow. Small quickly dissipating white head. Little to no lacing left on the walls of the glass.
S - Belgian sour smell upfront with a bit of peach in the back.
T - Disappointing. Tastes like a slightly sour Corona upfront with the absolute mildest touch of faint peach in the back you can imagine. Very basic and boring beer. Could pair well with certain foods, but is not a very good stand alone beer by any means.
O - It isn't disgusting or anything, just severely lacking and extremely boring.
V - Not really worth purchasing. (588 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -53.2%

Appearance - straw yellow, a little cloudy with zero head. Constant bubbles from the bottom, reminds me of a cider.
Smell - smells exactly of yeast. Bleh.
Taste - like pilsner malt with tart peach... Finishes like yeast. Not a fan, overall a very poor beer... (259 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -52.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Picked up in Hudson, WI, as part of the ongoing Dogfish Head drinking tour.

This is...man. The nose on it is terrible, somewhere between fresh piss & piss that's been in the carpet for several days. The sourness is infused with a peachity that isn't, well, peachy, it's sour & tainted. My face hasn't finished scrunching up. I keep taking sips, hoping warmth or familiarity or the death of my taste buds will take hold. To no avail.

Down the drain she goes. Dogfish Head seems to hit plenty of doubles & home runs, but this is definitely blowing a 7-0 lead on two grand slams. Yuck. (586 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -51.8%

Pours a thin pale yellow, clouded slightly with a one finger head and some slight lacing.

Aromas consist of light weak peach with no projection, some very faint breads?

Tart, bland and incredibly synthetic in the mouth. Dries down very quickly with only a lingering chemical taste at the end. Effervescence is okay, but does nothing to redeem it.

In the best way possible, I cannot begin to see how the brothers gave this an A-. This is not really a DFH, in my opinion. It tastes really like nothing of their other carefully crafted, flavorful offerings. In a blind taste, I would have considered this to be a shitty Inbev attempt to capitalize off of something like Abita's Purple Haze. Intensely disappointing and a drainpour.

Before now, I think I placed absolute trust in anything that was made by Dogfish Head - thus, I picked it up on blind faith alone. Going to try really hard to forget this beer. (909 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -51.2%

Original Rating Date:
August 15, 2008

Cool to find this, refreshing and fruity smell creeps out of the bottle even before the pour. Light yellow with small head. Taste is really overpowering, not in a good way. Tastes tart, fake-fruity. Like drinking an airhead candy. Acrid, tart, powerful and not enjoyable. Never thought I'd say this about a DFH brew, but this a drainpour. Undrinkable. (390 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -50.1%

Had this a while back at Bukowski's in Inman Square in Massachusetts. I came in expecting that it would be interesting, given Dogfish's general ability to win me over. It had a nice smell to it that was sweet and dry, but upon drinking it I felt that it might be the worst attempt at a flavored Wiessbier I've tried - I apologize for saying that since I have such a profound respect for everything Dogfish makes. I just don't know what happened with this one.

The beautiful freshness of the wheat was completely overpowered by a horrible tartiness that made this beer completely undrinkable. I actually had to ask the waiter to take it back and request another one. She then replied that most people there generally never finish it. The mouthfeel was nice, however - nice and fizzy and refreshing. But it couldn't overcome the fact that I couldn't stand the taste. (865 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -50.1%

Pours a bubbly champagne yellow, head dissipates very fast with zero retention/lacing. Liking the cloudy hoegaarden color though.

Smells lactic, a very very mild malt, and fresh fruit.

Peach? No. I'm getting a bit of a subtle off-lemon flavor. Watery. Urinals. Dead animals. Tastes confusing, as if it doesn't know what style it wants to be; like a retarded Corona. My drain attempts to kill it but chokes it up a little. Apologies.

Mouthfeel is whatever - boring and somewhat vulgar.

I do not enjoy pouring money down the drain, so no I don't think I'll be drinking any more of this tonight or ever. This beer has it's place however, in the same way that Smirnoff Ice and lethal injection have their place. I really was excited and wanted to enjoy this unique style but...hell no. Where is the appeal? Pour some old lemon juice on a slice of bread, squeeze it into a cup, add a tablespoon of blech! and you have Festina Peche. (932 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -49%

As a Dogfish Head lover, I couldn't wait to try this beer which is featured in so many magazines and newspapers as the "perfect summer brew." Wow, was I disappointed.

If you're like me, and enjoy a heartier beer like an IPA, stout, or even lager or typical ale, this is on the other end of the spectrum. If I didn't know it was from Dogfish, I would have guessed AB brews it and it was some new, Bud Light flavored beer.

Pours very light hazy color.
Aroma isn't bad. Some fruit and sours.
But the taste was awful. Totally sour, very off putting. (550 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a pale orange, unlike any other beer I can remember. There is a slight head, but nothing after a few minutes (though this was a bit warm by the time I got around to pouring it). It smells of peach candy. almost overwhelmingly so. It smells like a syrup. I am also getting a bit of a zesty aroma.

Wow! almost so sour it makes me pucker! -I do enjoy sour candy and beer, but this is just not doing it for me. not at all what I expected. The peach flavor to me is that of a very unripe peach. aftertaste is syrupy bitterness.

I cannot even finish the bottle. -In will not be purchasing this one again. (608 characters)

1.86/5  rDev -48.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- A very hazy straw color liquid is poured out of the bottle. A nice frothy head forms on top and slowly settles down to a nice thin covering.

S- Quite a bit of sour citrus smell with some hints of yeast and wheatiness. The peach smell is kind of subdued, you have to search for it for a second. Just doesn't seem quite right.

T- Excuse me? Did I order some sourdough bread with lemon slices on top? This is just not doing it for me. Pretty sour. Just a lot of bread and lemon.

M- This is very thin and sour. I kind of wince when I drink this. Very dry on the palate as well.

D- Ouch, what a chore. I am sorry, I tried to have an open mind, but again, this is just not doing it for me. I usually dig a DFH beer, but I guess I can't like everything. I am glad I only have a single of this. (801 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -47.9%

I had this once in bottles and figured it might have just been an out of date bottle. I decided to give it a go on tap at a respectable beer bar. I ordered it and it poured a very clear light yellow (reminded me a bid of budweiser in color/clarity) with a fluffy white head.

The smell was like peach boone's farm, only possibly slightly more acidic/tart on the nose. No beer smell whatsoever.

Taste: Hits the tongue like a bulldozer with the biting tartness. The only noticable flavor is the overwhelming tart peachness. There's no balance whatsoever. Again this is like some more sour verson of a boone's farm or something. There's almost no wheat flavor or aroma here. The only thing that keeps this from getting a 1 is that I know it is supposed to taste this way in some madman at DFH's mind.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: I almost drain poured this and ordered something else. It almost tasted like an infected saison or something. I choked it down, but this is going to keep me from being adventurous with DFH beers for at least 6 months. It hit the tongue, throat and stomach with all the finesse of a piano falling off the roof. While it did pass my gulp test for drinkability it was only because I was gulping it as fast as I could to finish it and move onto something better.

Side rant: If Sam Adams is going to catch hate for using extracts in their beer instead of real fruit, I have to heap some on DFH as well. A little bit of peach in a wheat beer could have been refreshing and enjoyable. Instead this is a peach bomb that I can't believe made it out of the brewpub. (1,580 characters)

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery