Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: dherling on 02-26-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,309 | Hads: 4,050
3.38/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a light yellow, hazy. Big white head that vanishes quickly.

Nose is limited expected more of a wild yeast - very light yeast and some fruit - along the line of apricot.

Hits hard with citric bite. Pucker up. A very bold tartness. The tart hits everywhere in the mouth. Hits style pretty darn well, the peach acting as the syrup, but it's already in there. They pulled that off well.

Carbonation is high, fruit flavor restrained. Refreshing, incredible mouthfeel. (471 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

Cloudy pour with a nice head. Smells very fresh with the hint of peach. Feels alright, not too heavy, but not to light. Sour beer so the taste is sour, would be a nice beer for a warm summer day, or any warm day in the winter. Palatable, but I would not drink a number of these on any given day, one is enough to give the taste.

Drinkable, but I am not running back to get another 4 pack (388 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -1.4%

Not really familiar with this style (or sour beers in general) but I see this one as a fairly good "novelty" beer.I had it on a cool crisp late summer day, probbly would have appreciated it more if it was hot out. Pours and looks like a hefeweizen, cloudy straw color with a fizzy head. Most hefes have a more impressive head, but with a hard pour, this one provides an impressive enough white head. Smell is mildly malty with a hint of the peach syrup. Leaves some lacing on the glass. The peach flavor is blended in very well. This is not a style I would ordinarily appreciate, but the potential for peach syrup in a beer was done as well as I think it could be done. Some initial maltiness followed by a mild peach and slightly citrusy flavor. Neither the sourness or peach sweetness were overpowering or annoying. Mouthfeel was crisp and rich enough for a light summer beer. Drinkability for me is not high, a couple of glasses of this flavor would be enough and it is not a high alcohol beer. That is more my personal taste in beer styles than anything derogatory about this brew. For those that like fruit beens, this one is not bad. (1,139 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

Appearance: Pours a very pale but cloudy lemon juice color with a soda head that fizzes away quickly without leaving much in the lacing department; not too familiar with the style but perhaps that is typical

Smell: Peaches, primarily, with a sour aspect

Taste: Opens up with a sour peach and green apple flavor that billows in tartness by mid-palate; there is an underlying wheat element that softens the profile; after the swallow, the sour elements build, but the finish is dry and crisp

Mouthfeel: Light and puckerish; with plenty of fizzy carbonation

Drinkability: If you like sour beers, give this a try; a nice change of pace (635 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16%

Pours out straw yellow, not much head at all, though I didn't pour it very aggressively. Malty nose with a hint of peach in the background, though I don't know if I would have noticed the peach if I wasn't looking for it.

Taste starts out malty before the peach concentrate kicks in. A tart, citrus like zing is also sitting on the edge of the flavour, almost lime...strange. Apple tones. Clean tang on the finish. Not as much fruit as I was expecting. Reminds me a bit of a JP beer, though not nearly as tart.

Mouthfeel, decent tingle, though nothing overly remarkable, similar story on the drinkability.

Bottom line: A summer quaffer by the folks at Dogfish. I like my fruit beers a bit more in your face, personally. This isn't a bad beer, but it's not flaunting the peach enough for my taste buds. (804 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

A: Pours a very light, hazy, straw colored body. Good size white head but disappears quickly. High carbonation.

S: Very tart and astringent w/ bready yeast. A cider-like character takes over (not unlike a gueuze) w/ granny smith apples and maybe a HINT of peach, if any. Some funk in there from yeast. Also lemon-y citrus.

M: Light and very crisp. Probably the best aspect. Endlessly refreshing M.F. w/ high carbonation.

T: It has flavor, but it's just hidden and barely peeks out of the tart, cider-y umbrella. Sour apples and lemon. Bread-y yeast is nice. It's a traditional Berliner Weisse profile and that has to be remembered. Is MUCH more appetizing with rasberry syrup. Not much though.

D: A pretty good shot at a unique, rarified style. I've had a few and this is nearly right on. It is almost too tart though which over-rides all else. Rediculously drinkable w/ a shot 'o syrup on a hot summer day. Pretty good. (925 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Tasted as part of a sampler at the bar, this baby is special. Tart as can be. Unique. Nothing I've tasted goes this far. It's quite yellow in color.

Although you probably wouldn't want to drink two or three of these, you definintely owe it to yourself to drink one! (266 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -28.9%

This poured a very cloudy pale yellow with a ring of head and minimal lacing. Smell is of sour peaches, not much of anything else. Flavor is of very sour peaches, nothing else. Flavor somewhat reminds me of a cider, with the level of acidity, Just without the sweetness. The sourness can be quite overbearing which can make this difficult to drink.

Certainly an interesting attempt, but too sour. and does not taste much like a beer. I found this one hard to enjoy. Likely won't revisit this one. (497 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +19.3%

12oz bottle bottled on 6-1-7

Pours a very cloudy glowing gold color with a big white fluffy head that expectedly dissipates quickly due to the higher than average acid content. Smells of apple juice, peaches and brett. There's also a kind of lagerish aroma present as well. Not sure how to describe that, but it just smells similar to a pilsener. The first sip is quite tart and very refreshing on a hot day. The peaches are more prominent now, as is the green apple flavor. The sourness is spot on, and is my favorite aspect of the beer. This is my ideal summer brew, and I'm sad that this is my last one. It's still drinking great so maybe I'll pick up another 4 pack. I wish there were more of this style on the shelves right now. Hopefully we'll soon see more american brewers take this on as time goes by. (811 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -9.4%

A: Light yellow. Hazy. Thin white head that dissipates very quickly.

S: Peaches. Need I say more?

T: Lot’s of peach favor, with a big sour bite at the end. The carbonation is very noticeable. Different, but it’s not for me. The beer improves a lot as it sits. The sourness and peach blend much better, but I still wouldn’t want this one again.

D: Medium: High if you like this beer, but low for me, I’ll pass on this one again. (435 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of SS: Poured a cloudy bright yellow color beer with a big huge pure white foamy head with good retention. Aroma of tart malt with a hint of fruit sweetness. Taste is quite tart but not up to a lambic level with some light fruit sweetness. Body is about average with some great carbonation. I’m not sure what to make of this one or really to expect since I know so very little of the style. I sure couldn’t have tell there was peach in there and would have loved more tartness but that just me. (512 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first time trying this style, and I admit peach is a bit of a gamble. This beer pours a very cloudy pale yellow, spicy esters in the aroma reminds you immediately of a wheat ale and lots of lemons. Taste is extremely tart with lots of fruit, mostly citrus, showing through, but not much in the way of peach. Mouthfeel is a bit spicy with a nice acidic kick before the beer finishes very dry.

I was pleased with this beer, a very nice changeup to the hoppier IPAs I usually frequent, and even a nice turn from my hefe's. I wish the peach were a little more assertive, but a very nice beer. (592 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a murky pineapple juice color with no head or lacing. Smells a little funky with some citrus. Taste is very tart. Sour, some citrus and a bit of peach. Thin in the mouth with little carbonation. Good drinkability but I wouldnt be able to do more than one of these as a tart treat. (286 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +4.7%

I think this is my first beer of this style, and I really enjoyed it. A perfect mix of tartness, fruitiness, and wheat elements for a summer brew. I didn't find it particularly peachy, though - more sort of generic fruit flavours on top of gueuze-like sourness. Good colour - looks like a wheat beer but slightly orange or pink. Short-lived, dry aftertaste.

Wish I'd had more of this back in June and July! (407 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -44.6%

Pours a cloudy golden straw color with an average pure white head. The smell is of rust, concentrated lemon juice. green apples, not all that appealing. The taste is of concentrated lemon juice and soda water, extremely unripe peach, though not positive as I never had what I assume might be a green peach. Just an overall puckering taste with no relief. I really don't taste any peach, just an overpowering lemon flavor. The feel is light and very fizzy. The sourness drys the mouth and is cloying. I actually contemplated drinking a Bud to offset these flavors. This is my first try at this style but I don't enjoy it. (620 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Opaque pale/straw yellow with a decent size head that retains as a 1/4 inch layer. Average lacing, but better than most fruit infused brews.
S: Tartish and earthy up front with some apple and peach scents ruling the nose. Some yeasty scents as well.
T: TART green apple up front giving way to TART peach flavors in there. I didn't expect this level of tartness, most likely due to my inexperience with the style. Once I got over the tartness some nice apple and peach flavors come through melding with some yeasty and slight earthy flavors. A somewhat wheat-ish flavor ends the sip. The peach wasn't overbearing, but damn was the tartness.
MF: Light and semi dry.
Overall: Interesting to say the least, this is a unique summertime brew. Can I say TART again? (761 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz single from Rileys

appearance: pours into la chouffe tulip glass....pale straw-golden body with a light beige froth...very light and cloudy appearance

smell: grainy, tart peach, lemon juice, malt dominated, tart and sugary

taste: yikes - this is not what i thought this beer was going to be...this is a straight injection of sweet tarts and smarties - as candie-like as any beer i have had....tart and sour peach covered in sugar, lemon, light malt body, grain, vinegar traits...interesting

mouthfeel: tart and light bodied

drinkability: meh (551 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

thanks to franksnbeans for this treat.

Pours a pale yellow color, like pineapple juice and slightly opaque. Little bit of foam on this one but retains a nice ring. The aroma is of malt, and tart, citrus fruits. I get lemon, pineapple, apple, peaches, a little spice and a funkiness. The taste is quite interesting to say the least. It has a tart start but a sweet peach finish. The mouthfeel is thin but that makes this refreshing. I’m glad I got to try this one. I like it, I’m just not sure if I would seek this out again. (527 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +14.9%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Rough pour. Doesn't have a lot of head to it, rolled this bottle before the pour to rouse the yeast, and judging from the bottle, it worked well. Cloudy, minimal head, no lacing.

Smell- Wheaty, a hint of brett, and of course, Peaches, and lots of them. This has to be about the peachiest drink I've smelled. The berliner weiss sourness comes thru as well though.

Taste- Lactic acid, peaches, and wheat. While that may not sound appetizing, this is a great easy summer drinker. I love a good sour, and there are not enough of this style. The fruit addition would seem untrue to style, but in Germany, I hear they do this with Berliner Weiss all the time.

Mouthfeel- Somewhat sticky sweet, but not too much so. After some time has passed I feel like I've been eating Sweet tarts.

Drinkability- Even after all that sweet and sourness, I still hold the claim that this is a very easy drinker that gets better as it warms up. Finally I shy away from the hard strong brews I usually drink and have something smooth that I can enjoy in a session if necessary. (1,133 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -16%

This poured a hazy white yellow with a moderate head. The smell is of lemon and of course, the peaches. The lemon dominates in the flavor giving it a light and sweetness that finishes with noted sours hints. Original, and interesting but nothing mind-boggling here either. It's greatest feature is certainly its originality. (324 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -5%

Had this on draft at the Dogfish Head brewery tour. It poured a light straw color with a small off white head.
The aroma was much more subdued than I expected; I guess subconsciously I was thinking I would be tasting a similar brew to the Aprihop, and obviously I was wrong. The smell has very mild yeast and peach, but almost no hop presence or alcohol.
Very tart peach dominates the taste, but even this is subtle and somewhat masked by more earthy tastes like wheat and grass.
The feel was rather refreshing and clean, with a light body and mild carbonation. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I was unprepared to taste this, simply because I am really a rookie to this style. I did enjoy it and hopefully will grow to appreciate it and the style more. Another impressive brew from DH. (793 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +9.6%

Pours a lightly turbid pale yellow with a thinnish white head. Aromas are all pretty subtle and are that of unmalted wheat, limestone, traces of pitted fruit and a light barnyard yeast funk. Flavors of underripe peach skin with the appropriate tartness, a light mineral background, tart wheat and a faint grass-like hop. I can certainly see how this is classified as a Berliner Weiss. Tart peach flavors are a nice complement. Light bodied, clean and zesty; a good palate cleanser. It takes me back quite a few years when Nodding Head's Berliner Weiss was flowing at the brew festivals, yet with a nice, tart addition of underripe peach. This has got to be Dogfish's lowest ABV beer, but it reads Sam all over. Good stuff. (722 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very light hazy straw yellow with a frothy white head and soapy lacing.
The nose is of peaches and blue cheese.
The flavor has a subtle amount of peach balanced with a tart cheesiness that is very pleasing.
Very drinkable beer and well made beer. (260 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a cloudy golden orange with little initial head. This fades to nothing very quickly and leaves no lacing. Still, a pretty beer. Smell is all peach nectar with a background of Berliner Weisse sour. Taste is similar, but a bit more sour comes through on the beginning as well as some floral bitterness. After that it is all peach nectar and some slight saltiness. Mouthfeel is a little heavier than I usually like my Berliners, and not quite sour enough either. Still, quite a refreshing and an interesting summertime quaffer (529 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. A clear, pale straw colored beer is poured from the bottle and is topped with a stark white, thin and wispy head of about half finger in size. Disappears at a leisurely pace and forms a level of "smudge" on top of the beer.

Aroma is sour and grainy with some sour diaper, musty, and barn like aromas. This is my first berliner but I dont think it is supposed to smell like a Farmhouse beer.

Pleasantly tart and quite refreshing. Sour lemon rinds and overall sour. Not bad. It is quite tart and sour but that can be a good thing. Absolutely NO peach flavor; concentrate or fresh. That was disappointing.

Lots of carbonation, too much for my liking. This is definitely a summer time beer with the light abv, tart mouthfeel, and refreshing qualities. I don think I will try this again but I am glad I did try this the one time. (880 characters)

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery