Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: dherling on 02-26-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,317 | Hads: 4,115
3.42/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light yellow color with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is kind of faint but is still fruity, containing peaches, wheat and light malts.

T: The taste is tart and sour with the peach flavor remaining prevalent the whole time. The malt character is very thin and although the style does not really lend itself to having much of a hops presence, I would swear there is a hint of some in there. There is also a strong acidic burn as you swallow, like I normally get when I finish my wife’s Malibu & pineapple juice or hard lemonade. There after-taste is sour and slightly bready.

M: Very crisp with a little smoothness, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Although I am not a big fan of anything with a peach flavor, this beer was still a little tasty, goes down easily, not filling at all, this beer seems to be what many fruit-flavored beers try to be. If I liked peaches, I would have enjoyed this beer more, but even so, it was still pretty decent.

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck, bottled on date ink jetted on the bottle. ABV marked, described as a neo berliner weisse.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow, thin head fades quickly to nothing.

Smell: A little bit of sweetness, some vinegar, and just a hint of wheat.

Taste: Acetic acid is definitely the dominate flavor here, but it isn't overpowering. A little bit of fruity sweetness, but I wouldn't have been able to identify it as peach.

Overall impression: Nice different beer - I was glad to see this in a four pack. It is definitely different than anything else I have seen offered in bottles from an american brewer.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a bright yellow, thick billowy white head, fades fairly quickly. As you would expect, peach smell is predominant, along with some yeasty/malty notes. Taste is very un-beer like, i'd call it Peach juice with club soda. Mouthfeel is very fizzy and carbonated, with a little fruit syrup stickyness. Drinkability is quite good, the flavor isn't offputting, just not too memorable. A solid offering from dfh, but certainly not thier best.

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a rather pale yellow with a thick but not persistent white head. Aroma is fairly strong and malty with an overtone of peach. Flavor is malty with a nice alcohol edge and sweet peachy hints, as well as some cidery peach in the aftertaste. It feels a little thin but edgy, and goes down the hatch smoothly and subtly.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, bottled on 6/7/07. Pours a murky yellow with a thin fizzy head that quickly disappears completely.

The aroma is peaches and maybe some acidic apples and bready malt.

The flavor is tart and acidic peaches, lemon, and wheat with some slightly sour notes. The mouthfeel is medium to full with low carbonation.

Overall, a pretty one-dimensional beer (peaches), but enjoyable. It's almost like a carbonated fruit juice.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

This one had a white-yellow color, cloudy, white head disappeared fast as lightning, never to return again .Smell is a little sour but taste is also slight sour peaches, I can almost feel the fuzziness. Mouthfeel is very juicy, nice beer and the best I’ve had from DFH in a long while.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

While in Delaware I went to your average liquor store and picked up a 4 pack of this beer. I have tried and tasted many of Dogfish Head's beers, and considering that I am somewhat of an "off centered" person their beer really appeal to me. I got to visit the brewery in Milton and even though there were over 70 people on the tour it was still a good time.

I wish I could quit my job and go work for this company. Not because I want to brew beer for a profession (that would be nice), but because this company is continuing to make leap and bounds over the brewing industry and my expectation for their beers. We know the craft beer, by definition throws the cares of the macro brewing landscape to the wind, but Dogfish is walking down the hall of all beer, laughing and saying… we know that people out there want to not only taste, but feel something different when drinking beer. And that is what happened when I drank the Festina Peche this weekend from Dogfish Head Brewery.

When drinking beer, we have all come to expect things. We expect a sound when we pop the cap, and when we pour it into a glass. This beer shattered those expectations with the first seconds of the pour. As this straw colored extremely cloudy liquid poured into my glass, I thought… “did someone bottle pineapple juice by accident?”

After being knocked down by the appearance of the beer, I then when in for the obligatory initial whiff of the libation. From dogfish, we have grown most of the time to expect an aroma that will lead us down the path of the beer be it either hops or malts. They are not afraid to wear their beers… on your nose. But this one lacked that usual pungent aroma that Dogfish is known for. This beer may have had a slight crisp aroma that you are familiar with when drinking a wheat style, but nothing to set you palate down a certain path.

I then sat down not knowing what to expect from this beer that was in my glass. It had already broken too many expectations for me to even try to predict what would come across my tongue in a matter of seconds. As I brought it to my mouth, I began to start to imagine those fruit beers, wheat beers, even the Berliner-Wiesses that I have had in the past, but as the Festina Peche crossed my palate I was brought to a new place on the beer landscape a place that could not be matched by any other beer I have ever tasted. I wanted to take another taste to make sure that that there was no pulp in my mouth or maybe my brain shut down and I was imagining tastes. But no, this beer brought the tartness of a Berliner-wiesse to a new level. Almost to the sour point of a sugar-covered candy, but with a great fruit flavor. This beer gave me a feeling that in Milton Delaware Sam Calagione and his crew are really making a difference in the beer world. That they are changing beer today like Jim Koch’s and Fritz Maytag’s did before them. I am glad that the beer landscape is continuing to grow and evolve and not stay stagnant

Like other DFH beers, it doesn’t make a bold statement with aroma, but with how it is their summer seasonal that make all other summer seasonals look, taste, and feel like just you normal average everyday beer. Thanks for the great beer Dogfish Head and I hope to continue to enjoy “off centered ales” for years to come!

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Had this one at Ashley's in Ann Arbor, MI, on tap. Poured a light straw with cloudiness and a touch of white head on top. Nose was an interesting combination of more standard wheat beer aromas and a smooth peach in there as well. The flavor had me a little more; the peach is extremely subtle, along with a lot of wheat and some spiciness. Definitely not your standard fruit beer, which often seem to be overpowered by their single fruit flavor. This one was much more drinkable and complex. I'd have this again, for sure, even though the fruit beers have never really blown me away.

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a light yellow, hazy. Big white head that vanishes quickly.

Nose is limited expected more of a wild yeast - very light yeast and some fruit - along the line of apricot.

Hits hard with citric bite. Pucker up. A very bold tartness. The tart hits everywhere in the mouth. Hits style pretty darn well, the peach acting as the syrup, but it's already in there. They pulled that off well.

Carbonation is high, fruit flavor restrained. Refreshing, incredible mouthfeel.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

Cloudy pour with a nice head. Smells very fresh with the hint of peach. Feels alright, not too heavy, but not to light. Sour beer so the taste is sour, would be a nice beer for a warm summer day, or any warm day in the winter. Palatable, but I would not drink a number of these on any given day, one is enough to give the taste.

Drinkable, but I am not running back to get another 4 pack

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Not really familiar with this style (or sour beers in general) but I see this one as a fairly good "novelty" beer.I had it on a cool crisp late summer day, probbly would have appreciated it more if it was hot out. Pours and looks like a hefeweizen, cloudy straw color with a fizzy head. Most hefes have a more impressive head, but with a hard pour, this one provides an impressive enough white head. Smell is mildly malty with a hint of the peach syrup. Leaves some lacing on the glass. The peach flavor is blended in very well. This is not a style I would ordinarily appreciate, but the potential for peach syrup in a beer was done as well as I think it could be done. Some initial maltiness followed by a mild peach and slightly citrusy flavor. Neither the sourness or peach sweetness were overpowering or annoying. Mouthfeel was crisp and rich enough for a light summer beer. Drinkability for me is not high, a couple of glasses of this flavor would be enough and it is not a high alcohol beer. That is more my personal taste in beer styles than anything derogatory about this brew. For those that like fruit beens, this one is not bad.

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

Appearance: Pours a very pale but cloudy lemon juice color with a soda head that fizzes away quickly without leaving much in the lacing department; not too familiar with the style but perhaps that is typical

Smell: Peaches, primarily, with a sour aspect

Taste: Opens up with a sour peach and green apple flavor that billows in tartness by mid-palate; there is an underlying wheat element that softens the profile; after the swallow, the sour elements build, but the finish is dry and crisp

Mouthfeel: Light and puckerish; with plenty of fizzy carbonation

Drinkability: If you like sour beers, give this a try; a nice change of pace

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

Pours out straw yellow, not much head at all, though I didn't pour it very aggressively. Malty nose with a hint of peach in the background, though I don't know if I would have noticed the peach if I wasn't looking for it.

Taste starts out malty before the peach concentrate kicks in. A tart, citrus like zing is also sitting on the edge of the flavour, almost lime...strange. Apple tones. Clean tang on the finish. Not as much fruit as I was expecting. Reminds me a bit of a JP beer, though not nearly as tart.

Mouthfeel, decent tingle, though nothing overly remarkable, similar story on the drinkability.

Bottom line: A summer quaffer by the folks at Dogfish. I like my fruit beers a bit more in your face, personally. This isn't a bad beer, but it's not flaunting the peach enough for my taste buds.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Pours a very light, hazy, straw colored body. Good size white head but disappears quickly. High carbonation.

S: Very tart and astringent w/ bready yeast. A cider-like character takes over (not unlike a gueuze) w/ granny smith apples and maybe a HINT of peach, if any. Some funk in there from yeast. Also lemon-y citrus.

M: Light and very crisp. Probably the best aspect. Endlessly refreshing M.F. w/ high carbonation.

T: It has flavor, but it's just hidden and barely peeks out of the tart, cider-y umbrella. Sour apples and lemon. Bread-y yeast is nice. It's a traditional Berliner Weisse profile and that has to be remembered. Is MUCH more appetizing with rasberry syrup. Not much though.

D: A pretty good shot at a unique, rarified style. I've had a few and this is nearly right on. It is almost too tart though which over-rides all else. Rediculously drinkable w/ a shot 'o syrup on a hot summer day. Pretty good.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Tasted as part of a sampler at the bar, this baby is special. Tart as can be. Unique. Nothing I've tasted goes this far. It's quite yellow in color.

Although you probably wouldn't want to drink two or three of these, you definintely owe it to yourself to drink one!

2.58/5  rDev -29.3%

This poured a very cloudy pale yellow with a ring of head and minimal lacing. Smell is of sour peaches, not much of anything else. Flavor is of very sour peaches, nothing else. Flavor somewhat reminds me of a cider, with the level of acidity, Just without the sweetness. The sourness can be quite overbearing which can make this difficult to drink.

Certainly an interesting attempt, but too sour. and does not taste much like a beer. I found this one hard to enjoy. Likely won't revisit this one.

4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

12oz bottle bottled on 6-1-7

Pours a very cloudy glowing gold color with a big white fluffy head that expectedly dissipates quickly due to the higher than average acid content. Smells of apple juice, peaches and brett. There's also a kind of lagerish aroma present as well. Not sure how to describe that, but it just smells similar to a pilsener. The first sip is quite tart and very refreshing on a hot day. The peaches are more prominent now, as is the green apple flavor. The sourness is spot on, and is my favorite aspect of the beer. This is my ideal summer brew, and I'm sad that this is my last one. It's still drinking great so maybe I'll pick up another 4 pack. I wish there were more of this style on the shelves right now. Hopefully we'll soon see more american brewers take this on as time goes by.

3.29/5  rDev -9.9%

A: Light yellow. Hazy. Thin white head that dissipates very quickly.

S: Peaches. Need I say more?

T: Lot’s of peach favor, with a big sour bite at the end. The carbonation is very noticeable. Different, but it’s not for me. The beer improves a lot as it sits. The sourness and peach blend much better, but I still wouldn’t want this one again.

D: Medium: High if you like this beer, but low for me, I’ll pass on this one again.

3.59/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle courtesy of SS: Poured a cloudy bright yellow color beer with a big huge pure white foamy head with good retention. Aroma of tart malt with a hint of fruit sweetness. Taste is quite tart but not up to a lambic level with some light fruit sweetness. Body is about average with some great carbonation. I’m not sure what to make of this one or really to expect since I know so very little of the style. I sure couldn’t have tell there was peach in there and would have loved more tartness but that just me.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first time trying this style, and I admit peach is a bit of a gamble. This beer pours a very cloudy pale yellow, spicy esters in the aroma reminds you immediately of a wheat ale and lots of lemons. Taste is extremely tart with lots of fruit, mostly citrus, showing through, but not much in the way of peach. Mouthfeel is a bit spicy with a nice acidic kick before the beer finishes very dry.

I was pleased with this beer, a very nice changeup to the hoppier IPAs I usually frequent, and even a nice turn from my hefe's. I wish the peach were a little more assertive, but a very nice beer.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a murky pineapple juice color with no head or lacing. Smells a little funky with some citrus. Taste is very tart. Sour, some citrus and a bit of peach. Thin in the mouth with little carbonation. Good drinkability but I wouldnt be able to do more than one of these as a tart treat.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

I think this is my first beer of this style, and I really enjoyed it. A perfect mix of tartness, fruitiness, and wheat elements for a summer brew. I didn't find it particularly peachy, though - more sort of generic fruit flavours on top of gueuze-like sourness. Good colour - looks like a wheat beer but slightly orange or pink. Short-lived, dry aftertaste.

Wish I'd had more of this back in June and July!

2.01/5  rDev -44.9%

Pours a cloudy golden straw color with an average pure white head. The smell is of rust, concentrated lemon juice. green apples, not all that appealing. The taste is of concentrated lemon juice and soda water, extremely unripe peach, though not positive as I never had what I assume might be a green peach. Just an overall puckering taste with no relief. I really don't taste any peach, just an overpowering lemon flavor. The feel is light and very fizzy. The sourness drys the mouth and is cloying. I actually contemplated drinking a Bud to offset these flavors. This is my first try at this style but I don't enjoy it.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Opaque pale/straw yellow with a decent size head that retains as a 1/4 inch layer. Average lacing, but better than most fruit infused brews.
S: Tartish and earthy up front with some apple and peach scents ruling the nose. Some yeasty scents as well.
T: TART green apple up front giving way to TART peach flavors in there. I didn't expect this level of tartness, most likely due to my inexperience with the style. Once I got over the tartness some nice apple and peach flavors come through melding with some yeasty and slight earthy flavors. A somewhat wheat-ish flavor ends the sip. The peach wasn't overbearing, but damn was the tartness.
MF: Light and semi dry.
Overall: Interesting to say the least, this is a unique summertime brew. Can I say TART again?

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz single from Rileys

appearance: pours into la chouffe tulip glass....pale straw-golden body with a light beige froth...very light and cloudy appearance

smell: grainy, tart peach, lemon juice, malt dominated, tart and sugary

taste: yikes - this is not what i thought this beer was going to be...this is a straight injection of sweet tarts and smarties - as candie-like as any beer i have had....tart and sour peach covered in sugar, lemon, light malt body, grain, vinegar traits...interesting

mouthfeel: tart and light bodied

drinkability: meh