Follow our progress ...

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Added by dherling on 02-26-2007

Reviews: 1,333 | Ratings: 4,197
3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

A: Pours a hazy pale straw with a small foamy head. Spotty lacing.

S: A sweet peach candy aroma with a subtle wheaty smell.

T: Quite tart with a sour peach flavor. Syrupy taste.

M: Light-bodied and very fizzy.

D: Not really my cup of tea ...er... beer, but it seems like it may be on for the style. One of these is drinkable, but I can't imagine drinking any more than that.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Service Temperature, 35 degrees F. Service Glass, Tulip Glass 12 ounces.

Appearance can be described as dark gold (like belgian candy sugar) and without clarity. The head that is created is slightly off white but dissapates relatively quickly, leaving behind no lace at all.
To smell this is to recall apricots, peach, some sourness, along with floral like hops, and a minor dryness.
As I swirl it around in my mouth I detect the medium sourness, along with some toffee and sweetness, along the center of my tounge, Slight cloying but overall mouthfeel is medium in weight.

I definitely would pick up more of this should they make it an annual seasonal brew. Chips & Salsa anyone, maybe some pitas with some cheese?

Cheers

4.6/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow color, with a thin white head. The head fades fast, leaving minimal lacing, but a thin layer of head.

This beer has a grainy aroma. Behind that, I smell a subtle peach aroma. It has a slight spicy hop aroma. It also smells slightly tart.

This beer tastes much like it smells. It has a tart, slightly sour flavor. The peach flavor is sublte, but good. It has a grainy flavor also.

This beer is crisp and refreshing. It goes down smooth, leaving a tart peach aftertaste. It is carbonated well.

This beer would probably make a great session beer. It is low in alcohol, and it tastes great. The tart flavor might become overbearing after a while, but I still think it would be easy to put back a few.

Overall: Thanks go out to Himerman for hooking me up. This beer is great.

3.99/5  rDev +9.3%

poured into the glass with a small incredibly fizzy head that disappeared very quickly Festina Peche is a hazy straw yellow.

Nose has notes of white wine, cut grass and of course peach

The peach on the tongue is tart which is a welcome surprise, strong lemon taste present as well

Thin bodied and highly carbonated with a dry finish this is the perfect drink for a hot summer day, very thirst quenching. And I definately appreciated the low ABV, a great beer to have with lunch

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks goes out to Iceman4 for this brew.

Pours a cloudy pale yellow color, awesome carbonation, the head was HUGE took me a few minutes to pour, some sticky lacing follows. The nose is yeasty, malty, spicy, and sour/tangy. The taste is sour/tangy for a Weissbier, but that's DFH for ya, LOL, yeasty, slightly spicy. The finish is slightly dry. Medium body. Drinkable, not a bad brew, but would not seek out again.

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

Departing the 12 ounce brown bottle it appears nontranslucent pale yellow with a creamy white head that evaporates slowly and the lace forms an even coating on the glass. Nose has a pleasant fruity aroma, with hints of malt and a little yeast, quite appealing. Start has a light to moderate malt presence, with the top light to medium in feel, sweet at the front, with a pleasant bit of tanginess. Finish is moderately acidic, a touch of hops noticeable, sweet to the end with a dry and lingering aftertaste, a pleasant change from my over the top hop and alcohol laden beers.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a cloudy ultra light straw color with a shallow foamy white head that fades quickly leaving little lacing. The first wave of the smell is "OK this is a wheat beer" followed immediately by the significant "...wow! this is going to be sour". Light bodied, the mouth feel is refreshing, sour and moderately carbonated. Big taste, the sour lemon flavor is quite intense. Low ABV, this ain't exactly one to throw on a hefty summer time post many hours in the yard thirst. It's a sipper.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

The beer pours a cloudy pale yellow-y amber with very little head. There is ample carbonation. The smell is faint, but smells of tartness, but not a bad tartness. Almost a tart peach (go figure) lemon scent to it.

The taste is different. It starts out nicely malted, but when it's mostly down, it had a nice tart bite towards the back of the mouth. It tastes lemony, but that's probably just the tartness. There's a hint of peaches and other fruity flavors. This is definitely a different kind of beer, but still good. You can't taste any alcohol, though at 4.5%, you shouldn't. It's very refreshing, great for a hot summer afternoon. It goes down easy, not too much carbonation, not heavy... it's just right. Unless you hate tart fruit flavors, this is a very drinkable beer.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

It pours an especially hazy and somewhat floatie lemonade yellow. A finger of bright white head dips soon to a dwindling froth veil. Mayflies of lacing are there and gone.

The aroma has a wheaty tang that nudges a mild yeasty sourness. More prominent is an almost floral fragrance of fresh, juicy peach, despite knowing that it's extract.

Upon tasting, dusky, earthily sweet wheat is complimented by a palate-puckering but manageable vinegar sourness that seems to wipe the slate clean. That opens the door to fresh-picked, toothy peach juiciness, again surprising considering the source. A very slight bitterness and a very crisp, refreshingly dry finish linger pleasantly. It's fun, different, and tasty.

Light bodied, the clean wheat and tongue-curling, cheek-sucking sour character provide some food for thought.

It's not stunning or amazing, but the coy crafting and complimentary components are quite crisp and considerably refreshing. It's about as drinkable as Gatorade on a hot, sweaty day, minus the electrolytes of course, but with a fetching little buzz for the effort. In short, it makes for a rather unique and worthwhile session beer.

3.99/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance - Pours a light cloudy blonde with a small fizzy white head that sputters out of existence in a few quick seconds. I thought Berliner Weiss was made mostly with wheat, and that would aid in retention.

Smell - Plenty of wheat in the smell. Apricots, bannannas, light peach, and just a touch of floral hops.

Taste - Quite tart without being sour. A small amout of acid comes across but without the characteristic brett spicy/funkiness. A nice balance of wheat and peach as the beer warms. Hops? Can't taste a one.

Mouthfeel - A prickly explosion of carbonation slices across the tongue. A little thin, but that is to be expected stylisticly.

Drinkability - A smooth easy drinker that would do wonders in the summer. Definetly unique and worth a try.

3.94/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pint glass. Stamp on bottle "bottled on 5/31/07".

Dogfish Head seems to always impress me. I've had a number of their beers and while I may not like all of them, they are brewed with a desire to be different - to take beer to another level. This beer is no different & it is quite good. Cloudy & vibrant yellow in its color with very little head to speak of, this brew's aroma is reminiscent of peach lemonade. Already this is an ideal summer beer with a look and smell that exudes sunshine. Sour is the first thing that hits the tongue followed by new peach flavor - the ripe peach sweetness is missing. Mouthfeel is similar to a soda or an Italian soda, which is not bad in this instance. If it wasn't for the dominant sourness, I could drink this all summer long. A very interesting beer. Recommended.

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle marked "bottled on 6/1/2007" into a pint glass. Appearance is a pale opaque straw-yellow, thin fizzy cap of whitish foam, quickly dissipates to moderate lacing. Aroma is light, comprised of a light yeast/breadiness, tart green apple, subtle malt undertones. Taste is also tart green apple, nice balance between apple and peachiness, fades into a light biscuity flavor, finishes dry, slightly sweet/acidic tinge. Mouthfeel is light bodied, medium levels of carbonation. Drinkability is solid, would limit to two at the most due to tartness. Would purchase again.

4.04/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz bottle picked up at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo a while back.

Pours a slightly hazed yellow, thick tight white head forms, sparse lacing, head disappears down pretty quickly. Smell is peachy, bit of tartness, light malt, citrus, honey sweetness, kind of spritzy. Taste is very tart, nice sourness, moves into a caramel/vanilla oat middle, tart peach in the finish, very dry. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation, really lively, very refreshing. Nice beer, tart peaches really linger.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Color is a hazy yellow, with almost no head and a definite "fizzy" sound while it is poured, like you are pouring a soda. The nose is primarily fruity, with the scent of peach. Taste is a nice blend of tartness and fruity sweetness, although it tastes a little watery. I could see how this would be refreshing on a hot day; perhaps I'll appreciate it tomorrow a little better while I mow my lawn...

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured a light cloudy yellow. The smell was light and floral with a faint peach scent. Tasted crisp but I expected much more of a peach flavor, it has some mild hop flavor and a hint of citrus. Goes down well, especially with the warm weather. I would recommend trying this, but it's definitely not my favorite DFH nor of it's class.

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%

Festina Peche seems like a fitting beer to review on the same day that I opened a bottle of Peach Hefeweizen homebrew. I love drinking summer beers at summer's end...it's one last way to hold on to the last days of the season.

A: Cloudy, golden with a quick-to-disappear head. Held to the light, this is very champagne-like in color, slightly darker than other berliner weissbiers I've had before (it's hard to know if this is because of grains or the peaches).

S: Light hints of farmhouse and barnyard smells and lemon. The lack of peach presence is disappointing.

T: There are the peaches! They balance the tartness and acidity of the beer well and create sweet overall impression. There are hints of lemon and wood as well.

M: The peaches make this beer less dry and tart than other, traditional examples of the style, but this creates a soft texture overall that I really enjoy. There's a nice, dry sour bite at the end of each swig. The brew has good length as well.

D: Very refreshing and thirst quenching--it's the best of the Continental sour ales mixed with summer's finest fruit.

3.42/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light yellow color with a thin white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is kind of faint but is still fruity, containing peaches, wheat and light malts.

T: The taste is tart and sour with the peach flavor remaining prevalent the whole time. The malt character is very thin and although the style does not really lend itself to having much of a hops presence, I would swear there is a hint of some in there. There is also a strong acidic burn as you swallow, like I normally get when I finish my wife’s Malibu & pineapple juice or hard lemonade. There after-taste is sour and slightly bready.

M: Very crisp with a little smoothness, light body, medium-to-high carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Although I am not a big fan of anything with a peach flavor, this beer was still a little tasty, goes down easily, not filling at all, this beer seems to be what many fruit-flavored beers try to be. If I liked peaches, I would have enjoyed this beer more, but even so, it was still pretty decent.

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

Presentation: 12 oz long neck, bottled on date ink jetted on the bottle. ABV marked, described as a neo berliner weisse.

Appearance: Cloudy yellow, thin head fades quickly to nothing.

Smell: A little bit of sweetness, some vinegar, and just a hint of wheat.

Taste: Acetic acid is definitely the dominate flavor here, but it isn't overpowering. A little bit of fruity sweetness, but I wouldn't have been able to identify it as peach.

Overall impression: Nice different beer - I was glad to see this in a four pack. It is definitely different than anything else I have seen offered in bottles from an american brewer.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a bright yellow, thick billowy white head, fades fairly quickly. As you would expect, peach smell is predominant, along with some yeasty/malty notes. Taste is very un-beer like, i'd call it Peach juice with club soda. Mouthfeel is very fizzy and carbonated, with a little fruit syrup stickyness. Drinkability is quite good, the flavor isn't offputting, just not too memorable. A solid offering from dfh, but certainly not thier best.

3.51/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours a rather pale yellow with a thick but not persistent white head. Aroma is fairly strong and malty with an overtone of peach. Flavor is malty with a nice alcohol edge and sweet peachy hints, as well as some cidery peach in the aftertaste. It feels a little thin but edgy, and goes down the hatch smoothly and subtly.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle, bottled on 6/7/07. Pours a murky yellow with a thin fizzy head that quickly disappears completely.

The aroma is peaches and maybe some acidic apples and bready malt.

The flavor is tart and acidic peaches, lemon, and wheat with some slightly sour notes. The mouthfeel is medium to full with low carbonation.

Overall, a pretty one-dimensional beer (peaches), but enjoyable. It's almost like a carbonated fruit juice.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

This one had a white-yellow color, cloudy, white head disappeared fast as lightning, never to return again .Smell is a little sour but taste is also slight sour peaches, I can almost feel the fuzziness. Mouthfeel is very juicy, nice beer and the best I’ve had from DFH in a long while.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

While in Delaware I went to your average liquor store and picked up a 4 pack of this beer. I have tried and tasted many of Dogfish Head's beers, and considering that I am somewhat of an "off centered" person their beer really appeal to me. I got to visit the brewery in Milton and even though there were over 70 people on the tour it was still a good time.

I wish I could quit my job and go work for this company. Not because I want to brew beer for a profession (that would be nice), but because this company is continuing to make leap and bounds over the brewing industry and my expectation for their beers. We know the craft beer, by definition throws the cares of the macro brewing landscape to the wind, but Dogfish is walking down the hall of all beer, laughing and saying… we know that people out there want to not only taste, but feel something different when drinking beer. And that is what happened when I drank the Festina Peche this weekend from Dogfish Head Brewery.

When drinking beer, we have all come to expect things. We expect a sound when we pop the cap, and when we pour it into a glass. This beer shattered those expectations with the first seconds of the pour. As this straw colored extremely cloudy liquid poured into my glass, I thought… “did someone bottle pineapple juice by accident?”

After being knocked down by the appearance of the beer, I then when in for the obligatory initial whiff of the libation. From dogfish, we have grown most of the time to expect an aroma that will lead us down the path of the beer be it either hops or malts. They are not afraid to wear their beers… on your nose. But this one lacked that usual pungent aroma that Dogfish is known for. This beer may have had a slight crisp aroma that you are familiar with when drinking a wheat style, but nothing to set you palate down a certain path.

I then sat down not knowing what to expect from this beer that was in my glass. It had already broken too many expectations for me to even try to predict what would come across my tongue in a matter of seconds. As I brought it to my mouth, I began to start to imagine those fruit beers, wheat beers, even the Berliner-Wiesses that I have had in the past, but as the Festina Peche crossed my palate I was brought to a new place on the beer landscape a place that could not be matched by any other beer I have ever tasted. I wanted to take another taste to make sure that that there was no pulp in my mouth or maybe my brain shut down and I was imagining tastes. But no, this beer brought the tartness of a Berliner-wiesse to a new level. Almost to the sour point of a sugar-covered candy, but with a great fruit flavor. This beer gave me a feeling that in Milton Delaware Sam Calagione and his crew are really making a difference in the beer world. That they are changing beer today like Jim Koch’s and Fritz Maytag’s did before them. I am glad that the beer landscape is continuing to grow and evolve and not stay stagnant

Like other DFH beers, it doesn’t make a bold statement with aroma, but with how it is their summer seasonal that make all other summer seasonals look, taste, and feel like just you normal average everyday beer. Thanks for the great beer Dogfish Head and I hope to continue to enjoy “off centered ales” for years to come!

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Had this one at Ashley's in Ann Arbor, MI, on tap. Poured a light straw with cloudiness and a touch of white head on top. Nose was an interesting combination of more standard wheat beer aromas and a smooth peach in there as well. The flavor had me a little more; the peach is extremely subtle, along with a lot of wheat and some spiciness. Definitely not your standard fruit beer, which often seem to be overpowered by their single fruit flavor. This one was much more drinkable and complex. I'd have this again, for sure, even though the fruit beers have never really blown me away.

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a light yellow, hazy. Big white head that vanishes quickly.

Nose is limited expected more of a wild yeast - very light yeast and some fruit - along the line of apricot.

Hits hard with citric bite. Pucker up. A very bold tartness. The tart hits everywhere in the mouth. Hits style pretty darn well, the peach acting as the syrup, but it's already in there. They pulled that off well.

Carbonation is high, fruit flavor restrained. Refreshing, incredible mouthfeel.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery