Microbrew Invitational

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Added by dherling on 02-26-2007

Reviews: 1,328 | Ratings: 4,157
3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from a simple 12oz bottle into the narrowest chalice I could find. Botte was dated in early June '07. Colour is very light, white-gold and is very protein hazy, though very evenly so. No chunks or floaters. Chamgagne-like fine and fast-falling carbonation typical of wits.

Smell is much more weizen than peach or fruit. Light wheat and yeast with undertones of a more traditional malt. Strong bitters that are almost herbal - if I didn't know that was peach in there, I might have guessed cilantro. Once you think about peach, it becomes almost floral.

Taste is very, very sour, a little sweet, and very lightly flavoured of peaches. Suspicions of orange peel and a dash of spice on the tip of the tongue. The yeast itself is somehow woody, maybe a little ashy. Nice effect of the front of the taste being blown away by the sour, probably.

Body isn't the first thing you notice, but once the distraction of the sour wears off, you realize this brew is very smooth, neither tacky nor sticky, nor drying. Carbonation can be swirled up, and compliments the feel of the sour in your cheeks quite well.

All in all, a crazy departure from the normal DFH offerings and dang fine weissen. Not as overdone as some of their other sour/fruit offerings, and more true to one of the old world beer styles.

4.52/5  rDev +23.8%

Cloudy pale straw color, reminded me of lemonade in appearance, with a small white foamy head to it.
Aroma is mainly of wheat, with some peachy overtones.
Surprisingly, the peach flavor doesn't overpower here. Instead, it's a more passive participant, allowing a good bit of tartness (which I suppose could be classified as peachy, but seemed more like lemon or grapefruit, or even green apples) to come through. After the sourness fades, there's a small bit of peachy sweetness lingering on the palate as well.
Thanks to the low ABV, I could definitely put away a few of these on a hot summer day like today.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Found a four pak of these at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio. Yeah! Pours into a goblet a hazed pale yellow with a small white head that quickly vanishes without lacing. Aroma of fresh cut lemons and a basket of South Carolina peaches fifteen feet downwind. Light body with spritzy carbonation. Taste is citrusy sour in a fresh lemon sort of way. Faint wheat notes and some subtle peach pulp. Really nice on a hot summer day. Tempted to bring out the marmelade for this one. Nice rendition by DFH of this interesting style.

1.6/5  rDev -56.2%

I am hesitant to review this beer, especially as its my first review here, because I had such a bad experience with the beer that I must have had a bad batch.

Beer was served on tap at the Brickstore.

I will start with the good news. The appearance of the beer was a fantastic straw wheat golden color that looked like the essence of sumer. With a warm, humid, southern evening being the setting, just looking at the beer quenched my thirst.

The mouthfeel was perfect for a summer beer. Smooth, soft and cascaded down my throat.

However...

The aroma was awful. Peach was nowhere to be found. What I could detect was a sort of peaty, rotten aroma typical of a Single Malt. With the carbonation, the smell became repulsive.

Flavor was equally bad. I could tell that there was a good base beer here and would drink that without the peach extract. Good spicy floral wheat beer characteristics that make a fantastic summer beer. But, the peach did not taste like peach and indeed, me, my dining partner, and waitress all commented that it tasted more like, well, certain bodily functions.

Reading other reviews, I am convinced that this had to be a bad keg. Reinforcing my belief is that my waitress told me that she has yet to find a customer who enjoyed the beer.

So, I would suggest that readers take this with a grain of salt.

Also, I am interested if anyone had a similar experience.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Poured into a weizen glass, the result -- a cloudy light straw-colored body with a small white head that settles fast.

S: Wheat and peach skin, with something slightly funky that I can't quite put my finger on.

T: First impression is that it tastes slike a Sweettart -- in the front of the mouth it's sour and tart, and then there's a dry finish with absolutely no aftertaste whatsoever. As it warms it gets a little sweeter overall, including a lingering sweetness that wasn't noticeable earlier.

M: Light and airy. Good for a summer beer.

D: Pretty good if you want something different and can get past the sour/tart taste. Very low in ABV, light in heft and just about disappears on the finish.

Notes: At $9.99 a 4-pack, this is not one I'll be buying again, but I was glad to give it a try. Interesting and different.

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%

A - this ale pours a pale, hazy yellow with at very thin white head that laces quickly, sounds like there must be a decent amount of carbonation

S - Holy Peach! the peach smell is delightful and refreshing, yet overpowering any other aromas that may be there

T - a surprising addition of wheat notes, the peach of course is the highlight though, a super tart, acidic peach flavor, bordering on citrus levels of acidity, kind of harsh after a few sips

M&D - smooth and crisp, yet after half a pint, the beer gets kind of harsh, the acidity is a bit much and makes the last few swigs hard to handle, but the flavor acuracy and beer quality itself is good, DFH walks that thin line betwixt genious and insanity like a Wallendo, great job

4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

Picked up a couple 4-packs at Jenny St. for $8.99 a piece. Pours into my Sam Adams glass a wit like bright white peach color with a thick and bubbly white head that rapidly dissipates. Aroma is wheat and peach with hints at tartness and the potential for aging. A sense of vinegar. Tastes clean, crisp, light, and tart in a purposeful and carefully crafted way. Hardly any peach flavor, more general tartness and lemon then anything else. Some wheaty cereal notes. Heavily carbonated and very drinkable. A great summer time beer. Refreshing.

3.72/5  rDev +1.9%

Hazy straw yellow with a fleeting smooth white head. Woody, musty aromas covering the lightly sweetened tartness of the peaches. Every time I take a whiff, I get vague memories of my childhood. It really reminds me of a place, possibly my old attic...I'm not sure, but I'm getting 80s flashbacks. Peachy sourness immediately washes over the tongue along with more wood and wheat. Funky lemon acidity. This is growing on me...I'm amazed DFH has the balls to do something like this. Dry, sour mouthfeel, relatively light in body making it easy to consume despite the funkiness of it all.

2.36/5  rDev -35.3%

The great thing about dogfish head is that they have a ton of creativity and courage. They creat many beers that might not have ever been made without their pioneering spirit. Their punkin ale and 120 minute IPA are amazing. Because of these kinds of triumphs one is compelled to try just about everything that they make. However in the case of festina peche I was not impressed.

smell/taste: Sort of like coors light with a little peach syrup on the side. The beer is very acidic, and this acidity overpowers any true peach flavor.

overall: I think it was a good idea, but they just missed the mark here.

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Very light yellow, like watered down grapefruit juice. Slight layer of head disappating quickly. No lacing

Smell: Very fruity. Good fresh peach smell with no sense that it has been fermented but with a touch of sourness.

Taste: Very much like peach and apricot with a spoonful of vitamin C for a sour kick. Im a fan of sour ales so this is "all good" to my pallate. A little bit of wheat comes out in the after taste but the fruit dominates.

Drinkability: Very high. Low ABV, great taste while still cold, what more could you ask for on a hot summer day?

Overall I would buy a case for a summer cook out if it was easy enough to find. I drank mine last night while studying for a state exam and passed this morning with flying colors. Thanks DFH!

2.6/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From a 12 oz bottle marked “bottled on 6/7/07,” consumed on 7/28/07. Into my crystal mug, it’s a hazy faint yellowish peach color with no carbonation. No head at all, nor is any lacing in evidence. Nose of peach concentrate. Taste like a weak peach “cider” with no malt or hops character. Just kind of a watered-down peach juice. Some wheatiness at first but rapidly is lost in the off-peach, semi-sour clutter. Odd, sour, dry finish. Mouth is very flat, wet, and somewhat satisfying. Drinkability is OK; it’s pretty easygoing, but boring, too. Sessionable? I guess, at 4.3% . But with many much better and less expensive session beers out there, I really wouldn’t bother.

Overall: Take a can of peaches, drain off about 1 oz. of the syrup into a glass and add 11 oz. club soda. Allow to sit in refrigerator overnight. Enjoy. That about sums this beer up for me. I guess you will either rave over the “subtleties” of this beer or damn it as a weak, fruit-flavored disaster. To me, this is a kind of weird niche beer; an experiment into making a (rather flat) peach beer shandy or something. Not my cup of tea. Two macro drinkers who tasted it liked it, which to me speaks volumes. Obviously plenty of other Beer Advocates have enjoyed it, so test it yourself if you’re interested.

Gave this one a second try after a week or so. Still just weird. I’m going to see if I can pawn off the other two.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured up a pale yellow colour with a big, white, loosley knit head that faded away in about 45 seconds. The body of the liquid is rather cloudy with some very fine debris/particulates floating about. Smell reminded me a bit of BMC, but with a mild, but certainly noticeable fruit profile. Taste, too, was close to BMC, but again, there were other characteristics present to off-set this. I found this to be quite sour, actually, and somewhat pleasant. If you like gueuze, saison, and/or flemish sour ales, you'll probably enjoy this, as well. Not a whole lot of CO2 in this one. Body is quite and rather refreshing. Finish is sour and dry at the same time. Very drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance:
The beer pours the color of lemon juice with an equal haze to it, maybe a little bit more yellow. Initially there was a decent rocky white head to the beer but it quickly disappeared and didn't leave a trace of lacing.

Smell:
For a peach flavored berliner weiss this is incredibly dried apricot like in scent. It's like opening a bag of dried apricots and getting that first delicious whiff. There's an underlying candy sweetness and at the back there's a good and apparent sour edge. Good but dominated by fruit.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
I think if the good folks over at Sour Patch Kids wanted to turn a beer in to a limited release flavor this would be the one. Aside from lacking the sweetness of candy it tastes like a peach and apricot blended Sour Patch Kid. A good and even sourness throughout which refreshes more than it urges me to pucker up with an undertow of wheat. The beer drinks pretty light but there's a fullness on the palate that I didn't get from Weihenstephan's berliner weiss. The finish is a little lemon juicy with a silky wheat character in the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
As a summer release I'm really feeling this beer but I certainly couldn't drink it year round and I can't imagine this would be the beer I would grab at in the dead of winter. I really appreciate how refreshing the beer is.

Bottom Line:
Weihenstephan probably does a more true berliner weiss but I think the non citric spin on the fruit in this beer does a lot more for this beer's overall drinking experience. Another slam dunk by DFH IMO.

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12ozer bought as a single from Julio's, Westboro, MA. Bottled on 052307.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" bright white head over the slightly cloudy light golden (yellow?) brew. Head fades gradually, with average lacing. Aroma is moderate intensity peach with sedate wheat character. Taste starts lightly sweet, and then kicks in with the controlled tartness, which is quelled at the close cleanly. Mouthfeel is smooth, esp for the style, and drinkability is excellent, slaking the thirst nicely. Fruit here is understated and adds to, doesn't dominate, the experience, the way it should be.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a cloudy straw color with modest head that dissipates quickly.

Peach and sour apple nose.

Taste shows more of the sour character. A nice change from another of my summertime favorites, Flanders Red Ale.

Crisp and refreshing in the mouth. Appears to be well carbonated, but this appears to be due to the tart character.

Pretty drinkable stuff, definitely an easy drinking quality. Must admit this is a pleasant surprise.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottle from Tops in Tempe AZ. Bright yellow and hazy with no head from the bottle. Nose of fruits, lemons, grapefruit-the peach is subdued. Nice bitter, tart, lemony flavors. Carbonation seems high but I think it's because of the tartness/sour flavors in the beer. Very lambic-like in the bitter/tart tastes.
Very enjoyable summer refresher.

the Bros couldnt be more right... perfect summertime brew.

A slightly sour brew tainted with the succulent taste of peaches. Upon cracked open this one it seemed to be very carbonated after a few refreshing sips the carbonation diminished and the head disappeared. As with most fruit beers, i believe its the acids from the fruit that make this happen. An excellent brew and one of the best offerings, i can only hope that this will make it back on the seasonal list for next summer!!!!

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours a pale yellow with a decent white head. Head drops fast, very fast, almost like soda.
Smell isvery light hops, light malt and bugger-all else, zip, nada, zilch.
Taste is much better with a sour/tart theme, peach, malt and a hint of hops.
Dry with a sour peach aftertaste that fades to cardboard. It was good for something different but I only wanted one.

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%

Been really digging the sours lately, so this was a very pleasant surprise. Tiny white head on a very hazy clouded gold body. Sour peaches and nectarines hit you right up front. Peach is more subdued in the taste because of the overwhelming sourness. Little to no carbonation, and no alcohol would normally make this quite the slammable beer, but the sourness keeps the drinkability from being too high...Unless you like that sort of thing, and I do. Yeah, I'll buy this again. Good summer beer.

EDIT - Nothing heralds the Summer to me better than this beer. I've been longing for this, and it is at its prime fresh. My favorite DFH beer and by god, the only beer I love straight out of the bottle. This is one tasty beverage.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Very pale straw color with a small white head. It was quite clear when pouring, but a lot of yeast came out with the last 1/3 of the bottle and caused a thick clean haze with no autolyzed chunks.

S - Smells like peaches and sour yeastiness; maby a little bit of sulphur too.

T - Sour, dry peaches. Fruity and somewhat nutty. Very authentic fresh peach character.

M - Very, very dry with high carbonation. No astrengency to speak of, which is a good thing.

D - Seems pretty drinkable, but I have a hard time being objective on this one. The peach character is as good as I could expect it to be in any beer, but once I started drinking it I remembered that I really don't like peaches. It seems like a very well made beer, but I can't really say that I like it.

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

poured from bottle in a slender glass. solid white head retention. Stayed through the beer. Smell of citrus and peach. very bright visually and through the nose. Taste the front and it is very tart peach, not too much. Back end smooths out a bit and refreshes the tongue. Sparkling feel in your mouth, almost champagne all around. A nice refreshing ale in with limited session qualities, besides abv.

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a "bottled on" date of 06/01/07. Leaves a two finger pure-white foamy head with very good retention, and some good spotty lacing. Body is a cloudy, straw gold.

Smell - peach juice, sour citrus, citrusy wheat malt.

Taste - like the smell. Citrusy wheat malt washed through with intensely tart citrus. The peach flavor is mostly obscured in the overall flavor. Also, slightly salty tasting.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, slight tartness-induced puckering.

Drinkability - this is very good ale, but it is not really a sessionable beer, owing to its tartness. It is something that would be excellent to enjoy with food, but not as a session beer.

2.4/5  rDev -34.2%

I got this beer in a growler from shoreline beverage. The beer poured clear... almost like bud light. I was very disappointed. Carbonation was good for the style. Beer had no wheat or peach flavor or very little. The funk was less than expected and frankly a terrible representation of the style.

Dogfish Head needs to rethink this one, as it has totally missed the mark.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Pours a very bright but hazy yellow, almost neon yellow. One finger head dissipated quickly.

S - Nice aroma. The sour tarness is very noticeable, followed by a lemon sweetness. A bit of barnyard funk, an appropriate amount (not too much). The peach aroma was not that apparent.

T - A very light taste up front followed by this nice sourness, however the tartness is covered up a bit in the end by a nice hint of peach. However the beer feels a bit confused. I like the addition of peaches, but it does get in the way of the great sour flavor. In the end this would have been a great light summer sour wheat without the fruit addition

M - Crisp, but lightly carbonated. A bit thick in the end for a light style.

D - Very drinkable, the flavors are very light all around; but this beer still has a lot of depth. It reminds me of a lambic light: the sourness is there, but not too sour, the fruit is apparent but not too fruity. I will have many more of these this summer.

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours a hazey banana skin and straw mixed with gold. Good, egg white head that slow recedes to a nice think film. Decent bubbling mixed in with the yeast. Very ripe fruit and yeast aroma. Wouldn't think this was a wheat beer from the aroma. The peach aroma is very faint and mixed in with very tart and ripe granny smith apples. The taste is a tart yeasty, ripened fruit melange. Was hoping for a more pronounced peach flavor. That was pretty subdued. It was more like a very ripe peach pulled off the tree too early. This beer was not as refreshing as expected. But still ok to have right after a hrad day at work. But I will not buy another 4-pack of this beer.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery