Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Festina PêcheFestina Pêche

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: dherling on 02-26-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,314 | Hads: 4,087
4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a cloudy straw color with modest head that dissipates quickly.

Peach and sour apple nose.

Taste shows more of the sour character. A nice change from another of my summertime favorites, Flanders Red Ale.

Crisp and refreshing in the mouth. Appears to be well carbonated, but this appears to be due to the tart character.

Pretty drinkable stuff, definitely an easy drinking quality. Must admit this is a pleasant surprise.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottle from Tops in Tempe AZ. Bright yellow and hazy with no head from the bottle. Nose of fruits, lemons, grapefruit-the peach is subdued. Nice bitter, tart, lemony flavors. Carbonation seems high but I think it's because of the tartness/sour flavors in the beer. Very lambic-like in the bitter/tart tastes.
Very enjoyable summer refresher.

the Bros couldnt be more right... perfect summertime brew.

A slightly sour brew tainted with the succulent taste of peaches. Upon cracked open this one it seemed to be very carbonated after a few refreshing sips the carbonation diminished and the head disappeared. As with most fruit beers, i believe its the acids from the fruit that make this happen. An excellent brew and one of the best offerings, i can only hope that this will make it back on the seasonal list for next summer!!!!

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours a pale yellow with a decent white head. Head drops fast, very fast, almost like soda.
Smell isvery light hops, light malt and bugger-all else, zip, nada, zilch.
Taste is much better with a sour/tart theme, peach, malt and a hint of hops.
Dry with a sour peach aftertaste that fades to cardboard. It was good for something different but I only wanted one.

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%

Been really digging the sours lately, so this was a very pleasant surprise. Tiny white head on a very hazy clouded gold body. Sour peaches and nectarines hit you right up front. Peach is more subdued in the taste because of the overwhelming sourness. Little to no carbonation, and no alcohol would normally make this quite the slammable beer, but the sourness keeps the drinkability from being too high...Unless you like that sort of thing, and I do. Yeah, I'll buy this again. Good summer beer.

EDIT - Nothing heralds the Summer to me better than this beer. I've been longing for this, and it is at its prime fresh. My favorite DFH beer and by god, the only beer I love straight out of the bottle. This is one tasty beverage.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Very pale straw color with a small white head. It was quite clear when pouring, but a lot of yeast came out with the last 1/3 of the bottle and caused a thick clean haze with no autolyzed chunks.

S - Smells like peaches and sour yeastiness; maby a little bit of sulphur too.

T - Sour, dry peaches. Fruity and somewhat nutty. Very authentic fresh peach character.

M - Very, very dry with high carbonation. No astrengency to speak of, which is a good thing.

D - Seems pretty drinkable, but I have a hard time being objective on this one. The peach character is as good as I could expect it to be in any beer, but once I started drinking it I remembered that I really don't like peaches. It seems like a very well made beer, but I can't really say that I like it.

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

poured from bottle in a slender glass. solid white head retention. Stayed through the beer. Smell of citrus and peach. very bright visually and through the nose. Taste the front and it is very tart peach, not too much. Back end smooths out a bit and refreshes the tongue. Sparkling feel in your mouth, almost champagne all around. A nice refreshing ale in with limited session qualities, besides abv.

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a "bottled on" date of 06/01/07. Leaves a two finger pure-white foamy head with very good retention, and some good spotty lacing. Body is a cloudy, straw gold.

Smell - peach juice, sour citrus, citrusy wheat malt.

Taste - like the smell. Citrusy wheat malt washed through with intensely tart citrus. The peach flavor is mostly obscured in the overall flavor. Also, slightly salty tasting.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, slight tartness-induced puckering.

Drinkability - this is very good ale, but it is not really a sessionable beer, owing to its tartness. It is something that would be excellent to enjoy with food, but not as a session beer.

2.4/5  rDev -34.2%

I got this beer in a growler from shoreline beverage. The beer poured clear... almost like bud light. I was very disappointed. Carbonation was good for the style. Beer had no wheat or peach flavor or very little. The funk was less than expected and frankly a terrible representation of the style.

Dogfish Head needs to rethink this one, as it has totally missed the mark.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Pours a very bright but hazy yellow, almost neon yellow. One finger head dissipated quickly.

S - Nice aroma. The sour tarness is very noticeable, followed by a lemon sweetness. A bit of barnyard funk, an appropriate amount (not too much). The peach aroma was not that apparent.

T - A very light taste up front followed by this nice sourness, however the tartness is covered up a bit in the end by a nice hint of peach. However the beer feels a bit confused. I like the addition of peaches, but it does get in the way of the great sour flavor. In the end this would have been a great light summer sour wheat without the fruit addition

M - Crisp, but lightly carbonated. A bit thick in the end for a light style.

D - Very drinkable, the flavors are very light all around; but this beer still has a lot of depth. It reminds me of a lambic light: the sourness is there, but not too sour, the fruit is apparent but not too fruity. I will have many more of these this summer.

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours a hazey banana skin and straw mixed with gold. Good, egg white head that slow recedes to a nice think film. Decent bubbling mixed in with the yeast. Very ripe fruit and yeast aroma. Wouldn't think this was a wheat beer from the aroma. The peach aroma is very faint and mixed in with very tart and ripe granny smith apples. The taste is a tart yeasty, ripened fruit melange. Was hoping for a more pronounced peach flavor. That was pretty subdued. It was more like a very ripe peach pulled off the tree too early. This beer was not as refreshing as expected. But still ok to have right after a hrad day at work. But I will not buy another 4-pack of this beer.

1.86/5  rDev -49%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- A very hazy straw color liquid is poured out of the bottle. A nice frothy head forms on top and slowly settles down to a nice thin covering.

S- Quite a bit of sour citrus smell with some hints of yeast and wheatiness. The peach smell is kind of subdued, you have to search for it for a second. Just doesn't seem quite right.

T- Excuse me? Did I order some sourdough bread with lemon slices on top? This is just not doing it for me. Pretty sour. Just a lot of bread and lemon.

M- This is very thin and sour. I kind of wince when I drink this. Very dry on the palate as well.

D- Ouch, what a chore. I am sorry, I tried to have an open mind, but again, this is just not doing it for me. I usually dig a DFH beer, but I guess I can't like everything. I am glad I only have a single of this.

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

A - Pours a hazy straw lemon color with 2 fingers of creamy white head. The head disappears without lacing.

S - Tart with yeasty notes and a huge dose of lemon.A hint of sweet peach when you swirl the glass but you need to search for it.

T - Tart with some herbal grassy lemon and sweet peach that turns to a sour dry peach in the finish. Very tasty.

M - Light, fizzy and crisp with a dry tart finish. A great summer thirst quencher.

D - Truly a great summer session beer. These are flying out of my fridge.

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Eye: Though this brew is stylistically supposed to have a quickly receding head the head I've got here is a large white fluffy head that is receding rather slowly. The beer is cloudy and is a very pale yellow in color.

Nose: This brew has a strong wheat aroma, along with some yeasty character behind it. There is a splash of peach aroma in there as well. Smells great to me.

Tongue: Wow! This is the first one of these I've ever had and oh man... this is the most tart and sour beer I've ever had... didn't know what to expect....great though! No bitterness whatsoever. Very acidic, peach flavor is in there, can definitely taste it. Also some apple/cider taste in here.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: For starters this is the driest beer I've ever drank...really compliments the flavors-acidic and tart/sour-found in this brew. Pretty light on the palate with light carbonation. This is a very crisp brew. This beer could quite easily be a session beer, however that is if you can handle the tartness. As I get farther along with this brew the more used to the style I am becoming, I could see myself drinking a few of these in a row, however I have a feeling it would be a bad idea to drink too many of these. This brew has turned me onto the style and I think I'll keep an eye out for more of this style.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

The beer pours a hazy pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a grainy pale and wheat malt scent along with a mildly tart yeast aroma. There is only a hint of the peaches. The taste is good. It has a light and refreshing pale and wheat malt flavor that is crisp and tart with a slight peach feel. It goes down easy and finishes dry and sour. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinking beer. I'm so glad they didn't make this 11+ %abv or whatever. It's nice to have a session beer with some style.

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

Sampled on 7-26-07
Bottled on 6-1-07

Pours an extremely pale and cloudy yellow, with no head at all.

Smell is very light, wheaty, with just a little citrus.

Taste is a lip-puckering sour at first, with a wheat breadiness out the back. Just a hint of peach bitterness adds some diversity.

Mouthfeel is good, very carbonated and light.

Drinkability is not as good, the sourness becomes tiring after awhile.

Overall, not what I was expecting. The peach definately takes a backseat, and adds to the sourness. Something different, but kind of bland.

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

The beer poured a very pale, hazy gold color with a solid 1 inch head that receded quickly. The aroma was musty and yeasty with a slight hint of peach and sweet malts. Taste was sour up front and had a bit of peach flavor to go with it and the beer finished with a light malty sweet flavor. Mouthfeel was quite light on the palate. The high level of mouth puckering tartness hurt the drinkability for me. Maybe they could've added some more peach to it? The only other time I've had this style was on a trip to Bavaria a few years ago where they had Berliner Kindl on tap and it was flavored with rasberry syrup. I remember it being very tasty with a good balance between the tartness and sweetness. Either way, you've got to give DFH credit for brewing a style that many consider obscure.

2.23/5  rDev -38.9%

Had this in a bottle that I picked up at Capone's. I tried this side by side with the Harpoon Peche. The Harpoon is a much better product. The appearance was golden in color with a smell of sour hops. The taste was way too sour for this style in my opinion. The carbonation was flat and the mouthfeel was restricted to the sourness which overwhelmed the other tastes. I would not order another one of these.

4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured a hazy blonde color, looked very appealing in the glass. Good strong white head.

This beer started off with just a light peach twang to it but quickly became very tart and sour. Finished off with a light peach aftertaste, but the dominant flavor profile is the tartness of the brew.

This is an easy drinker ( if you like tart / sour beers) which I do. Thanks to phnphilly for turning me on to this beer.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

A. Hazy off yellow with flecks of orange. Not much head to speak of.

S. Not much odor. Slight hint of sour fruit. 3

T tart like lemonade but with minimal sweetness and a faint hint of stone friit. Dry crisp finish. I didn't like this at first but it grows on me

Mi light and crisp with tight sharp carbonation

D. I didn't care for this at first but I have started to dig it

Festina Peche pours a light, hazy, golden yellow with a thin, white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. There is a peach flavor and definitely some wheat in the aroma. Peach is quite noticeable in the flavor, there is a sour component that is true to style and lends a nice touch to this beer. The body is very light and the carbonation is fairly heavy, also true to style, giving a champangne like effervesence. A nice, refreshing Dogfish take on the style.

3.61/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Poured from a 12oz bottle into my new Sam Adams pint glass. Big white foamy head with a hazy blonde color. Looks refreshing.

S - Not much going on here. There is a slight clean yeasty/citrusy note but that is about it.

T - Starts out with a tart peach flavor then quickly goes to big lemony sour. Finishes with a nice sweet peach tang. Kinda makes you pucker. Pretty damn refreshing.

M - Light bodied and very well carbonated.

D - Pretty drinkable, but I don't know if I could handle the sour after more than two or so. Plus it isn't super cheap at $11 a four pack.

Overall, pretty decent beer. Would really do the job on a hot day. Allthough I don't think I liked it enough to pick it over others if I was at the store, especially when you consider price.

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

As with many of their products, I like this. Ggauhan brough this over and the sampling began.

The beer poured a nicey-nice cloudy golden color with a moderate head that thins. There is a nice fruit bouquet that makes the consumer dream of peaches, tangerines and nectarines. Once the tasting comences, there is no confusing the peach heritage of this beer. The taste is coupled with great mouthfeel.

This is a great beer from April to September, gotta get my hands on a few more bottles. My advice: Get This Beer!!

2.31/5  rDev -36.7%

Served in a pint glass at the Old Toad, Rochester, NY. It comes out in a pint glass with a pale, cloudy, watered down wheat beer look. No head. The aroma is so faint you have to sniff really hard to get anything. Wheat, and an acidic hint. The flavor profile is extremely odd: Up front it tastes like cool, filtered water. Then at the very end there is a very tart burst of lemon zest/peach, then back to nothing. Very interesting, but I prefer a beer that isn't so delicate, faint, and fruity. Typical of the off-the-wall style of brewing that has made Dogfish Head so famous. Just not for me.

4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

Beautiful hazy honey body with a big white creamy head that dissipates quickly leaving little lace.
Tart citrus scent, pure and dense green apple with a hint of peach.
Deliciously dominating rubarb tart flavor with a subdued sweet lemon meringe note. The aftertaste is a prolonged experience of the initial taste.
Creamy mouthfeel with good coating. Fairly slick and dry to the point of being puckering.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery