Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: dherling on 02-26-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,935 | Reviews: 1,322
4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

Picked up a couple 4-packs at Jenny St. for $8.99 a piece. Pours into my Sam Adams glass a wit like bright white peach color with a thick and bubbly white head that rapidly dissipates. Aroma is wheat and peach with hints at tartness and the potential for aging. A sense of vinegar. Tastes clean, crisp, light, and tart in a purposeful and carefully crafted way. Hardly any peach flavor, more general tartness and lemon then anything else. Some wheaty cereal notes. Heavily carbonated and very drinkable. A great summer time beer. Refreshing.

3.72/5  rDev +1.9%

Hazy straw yellow with a fleeting smooth white head. Woody, musty aromas covering the lightly sweetened tartness of the peaches. Every time I take a whiff, I get vague memories of my childhood. It really reminds me of a place, possibly my old attic...I'm not sure, but I'm getting 80s flashbacks. Peachy sourness immediately washes over the tongue along with more wood and wheat. Funky lemon acidity. This is growing on me...I'm amazed DFH has the balls to do something like this. Dry, sour mouthfeel, relatively light in body making it easy to consume despite the funkiness of it all.

2.36/5  rDev -35.3%

The great thing about dogfish head is that they have a ton of creativity and courage. They creat many beers that might not have ever been made without their pioneering spirit. Their punkin ale and 120 minute IPA are amazing. Because of these kinds of triumphs one is compelled to try just about everything that they make. However in the case of festina peche I was not impressed.

smell/taste: Sort of like coors light with a little peach syrup on the side. The beer is very acidic, and this acidity overpowers any true peach flavor.

overall: I think it was a good idea, but they just missed the mark here.

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%

Appearance: Very light yellow, like watered down grapefruit juice. Slight layer of head disappating quickly. No lacing

Smell: Very fruity. Good fresh peach smell with no sense that it has been fermented but with a touch of sourness.

Taste: Very much like peach and apricot with a spoonful of vitamin C for a sour kick. Im a fan of sour ales so this is "all good" to my pallate. A little bit of wheat comes out in the after taste but the fruit dominates.

Drinkability: Very high. Low ABV, great taste while still cold, what more could you ask for on a hot summer day?

Overall I would buy a case for a summer cook out if it was easy enough to find. I drank mine last night while studying for a state exam and passed this morning with flying colors. Thanks DFH!

2.6/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From a 12 oz bottle marked “bottled on 6/7/07,” consumed on 7/28/07. Into my crystal mug, it’s a hazy faint yellowish peach color with no carbonation. No head at all, nor is any lacing in evidence. Nose of peach concentrate. Taste like a weak peach “cider” with no malt or hops character. Just kind of a watered-down peach juice. Some wheatiness at first but rapidly is lost in the off-peach, semi-sour clutter. Odd, sour, dry finish. Mouth is very flat, wet, and somewhat satisfying. Drinkability is OK; it’s pretty easygoing, but boring, too. Sessionable? I guess, at 4.3% . But with many much better and less expensive session beers out there, I really wouldn’t bother.

Overall: Take a can of peaches, drain off about 1 oz. of the syrup into a glass and add 11 oz. club soda. Allow to sit in refrigerator overnight. Enjoy. That about sums this beer up for me. I guess you will either rave over the “subtleties” of this beer or damn it as a weak, fruit-flavored disaster. To me, this is a kind of weird niche beer; an experiment into making a (rather flat) peach beer shandy or something. Not my cup of tea. Two macro drinkers who tasted it liked it, which to me speaks volumes. Obviously plenty of other Beer Advocates have enjoyed it, so test it yourself if you’re interested.

Gave this one a second try after a week or so. Still just weird. I’m going to see if I can pawn off the other two.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured up a pale yellow colour with a big, white, loosley knit head that faded away in about 45 seconds. The body of the liquid is rather cloudy with some very fine debris/particulates floating about. Smell reminded me a bit of BMC, but with a mild, but certainly noticeable fruit profile. Taste, too, was close to BMC, but again, there were other characteristics present to off-set this. I found this to be quite sour, actually, and somewhat pleasant. If you like gueuze, saison, and/or flemish sour ales, you'll probably enjoy this, as well. Not a whole lot of CO2 in this one. Body is quite and rather refreshing. Finish is sour and dry at the same time. Very drinkable.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance:
The beer pours the color of lemon juice with an equal haze to it, maybe a little bit more yellow. Initially there was a decent rocky white head to the beer but it quickly disappeared and didn't leave a trace of lacing.

Smell:
For a peach flavored berliner weiss this is incredibly dried apricot like in scent. It's like opening a bag of dried apricots and getting that first delicious whiff. There's an underlying candy sweetness and at the back there's a good and apparent sour edge. Good but dominated by fruit.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
I think if the good folks over at Sour Patch Kids wanted to turn a beer in to a limited release flavor this would be the one. Aside from lacking the sweetness of candy it tastes like a peach and apricot blended Sour Patch Kid. A good and even sourness throughout which refreshes more than it urges me to pucker up with an undertow of wheat. The beer drinks pretty light but there's a fullness on the palate that I didn't get from Weihenstephan's berliner weiss. The finish is a little lemon juicy with a silky wheat character in the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
As a summer release I'm really feeling this beer but I certainly couldn't drink it year round and I can't imagine this would be the beer I would grab at in the dead of winter. I really appreciate how refreshing the beer is.

Bottom Line:
Weihenstephan probably does a more true berliner weiss but I think the non citric spin on the fruit in this beer does a lot more for this beer's overall drinking experience. Another slam dunk by DFH IMO.

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12ozer bought as a single from Julio's, Westboro, MA. Bottled on 052307.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" bright white head over the slightly cloudy light golden (yellow?) brew. Head fades gradually, with average lacing. Aroma is moderate intensity peach with sedate wheat character. Taste starts lightly sweet, and then kicks in with the controlled tartness, which is quelled at the close cleanly. Mouthfeel is smooth, esp for the style, and drinkability is excellent, slaking the thirst nicely. Fruit here is understated and adds to, doesn't dominate, the experience, the way it should be.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Pours a cloudy straw color with modest head that dissipates quickly.

Peach and sour apple nose.

Taste shows more of the sour character. A nice change from another of my summertime favorites, Flanders Red Ale.

Crisp and refreshing in the mouth. Appears to be well carbonated, but this appears to be due to the tart character.

Pretty drinkable stuff, definitely an easy drinking quality. Must admit this is a pleasant surprise.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottle from Tops in Tempe AZ. Bright yellow and hazy with no head from the bottle. Nose of fruits, lemons, grapefruit-the peach is subdued. Nice bitter, tart, lemony flavors. Carbonation seems high but I think it's because of the tartness/sour flavors in the beer. Very lambic-like in the bitter/tart tastes.
Very enjoyable summer refresher.

the Bros couldnt be more right... perfect summertime brew.

A slightly sour brew tainted with the succulent taste of peaches. Upon cracked open this one it seemed to be very carbonated after a few refreshing sips the carbonation diminished and the head disappeared. As with most fruit beers, i believe its the acids from the fruit that make this happen. An excellent brew and one of the best offerings, i can only hope that this will make it back on the seasonal list for next summer!!!!

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours a pale yellow with a decent white head. Head drops fast, very fast, almost like soda.
Smell isvery light hops, light malt and bugger-all else, zip, nada, zilch.
Taste is much better with a sour/tart theme, peach, malt and a hint of hops.
Dry with a sour peach aftertaste that fades to cardboard. It was good for something different but I only wanted one.

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%

Been really digging the sours lately, so this was a very pleasant surprise. Tiny white head on a very hazy clouded gold body. Sour peaches and nectarines hit you right up front. Peach is more subdued in the taste because of the overwhelming sourness. Little to no carbonation, and no alcohol would normally make this quite the slammable beer, but the sourness keeps the drinkability from being too high...Unless you like that sort of thing, and I do. Yeah, I'll buy this again. Good summer beer.

EDIT - Nothing heralds the Summer to me better than this beer. I've been longing for this, and it is at its prime fresh. My favorite DFH beer and by god, the only beer I love straight out of the bottle. This is one tasty beverage.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Very pale straw color with a small white head. It was quite clear when pouring, but a lot of yeast came out with the last 1/3 of the bottle and caused a thick clean haze with no autolyzed chunks.

S - Smells like peaches and sour yeastiness; maby a little bit of sulphur too.

T - Sour, dry peaches. Fruity and somewhat nutty. Very authentic fresh peach character.

M - Very, very dry with high carbonation. No astrengency to speak of, which is a good thing.

D - Seems pretty drinkable, but I have a hard time being objective on this one. The peach character is as good as I could expect it to be in any beer, but once I started drinking it I remembered that I really don't like peaches. It seems like a very well made beer, but I can't really say that I like it.

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

poured from bottle in a slender glass. solid white head retention. Stayed through the beer. Smell of citrus and peach. very bright visually and through the nose. Taste the front and it is very tart peach, not too much. Back end smooths out a bit and refreshes the tongue. Sparkling feel in your mouth, almost champagne all around. A nice refreshing ale in with limited session qualities, besides abv.

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle with a "bottled on" date of 06/01/07. Leaves a two finger pure-white foamy head with very good retention, and some good spotty lacing. Body is a cloudy, straw gold.

Smell - peach juice, sour citrus, citrusy wheat malt.

Taste - like the smell. Citrusy wheat malt washed through with intensely tart citrus. The peach flavor is mostly obscured in the overall flavor. Also, slightly salty tasting.

Mouthfeel - medium bodied, slight tartness-induced puckering.

Drinkability - this is very good ale, but it is not really a sessionable beer, owing to its tartness. It is something that would be excellent to enjoy with food, but not as a session beer.

2.4/5  rDev -34.2%

I got this beer in a growler from shoreline beverage. The beer poured clear... almost like bud light. I was very disappointed. Carbonation was good for the style. Beer had no wheat or peach flavor or very little. The funk was less than expected and frankly a terrible representation of the style.

Dogfish Head needs to rethink this one, as it has totally missed the mark.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Pours a very bright but hazy yellow, almost neon yellow. One finger head dissipated quickly.

S - Nice aroma. The sour tarness is very noticeable, followed by a lemon sweetness. A bit of barnyard funk, an appropriate amount (not too much). The peach aroma was not that apparent.

T - A very light taste up front followed by this nice sourness, however the tartness is covered up a bit in the end by a nice hint of peach. However the beer feels a bit confused. I like the addition of peaches, but it does get in the way of the great sour flavor. In the end this would have been a great light summer sour wheat without the fruit addition

M - Crisp, but lightly carbonated. A bit thick in the end for a light style.

D - Very drinkable, the flavors are very light all around; but this beer still has a lot of depth. It reminds me of a lambic light: the sourness is there, but not too sour, the fruit is apparent but not too fruity. I will have many more of these this summer.

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Pours a hazey banana skin and straw mixed with gold. Good, egg white head that slow recedes to a nice think film. Decent bubbling mixed in with the yeast. Very ripe fruit and yeast aroma. Wouldn't think this was a wheat beer from the aroma. The peach aroma is very faint and mixed in with very tart and ripe granny smith apples. The taste is a tart yeasty, ripened fruit melange. Was hoping for a more pronounced peach flavor. That was pretty subdued. It was more like a very ripe peach pulled off the tree too early. This beer was not as refreshing as expected. But still ok to have right after a hrad day at work. But I will not buy another 4-pack of this beer.

1.86/5  rDev -49%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A- A very hazy straw color liquid is poured out of the bottle. A nice frothy head forms on top and slowly settles down to a nice thin covering.

S- Quite a bit of sour citrus smell with some hints of yeast and wheatiness. The peach smell is kind of subdued, you have to search for it for a second. Just doesn't seem quite right.

T- Excuse me? Did I order some sourdough bread with lemon slices on top? This is just not doing it for me. Pretty sour. Just a lot of bread and lemon.

M- This is very thin and sour. I kind of wince when I drink this. Very dry on the palate as well.

D- Ouch, what a chore. I am sorry, I tried to have an open mind, but again, this is just not doing it for me. I usually dig a DFH beer, but I guess I can't like everything. I am glad I only have a single of this.

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%

A - Pours a hazy straw lemon color with 2 fingers of creamy white head. The head disappears without lacing.

S - Tart with yeasty notes and a huge dose of lemon.A hint of sweet peach when you swirl the glass but you need to search for it.

T - Tart with some herbal grassy lemon and sweet peach that turns to a sour dry peach in the finish. Very tasty.

M - Light, fizzy and crisp with a dry tart finish. A great summer thirst quencher.

D - Truly a great summer session beer. These are flying out of my fridge.

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Eye: Though this brew is stylistically supposed to have a quickly receding head the head I've got here is a large white fluffy head that is receding rather slowly. The beer is cloudy and is a very pale yellow in color.

Nose: This brew has a strong wheat aroma, along with some yeasty character behind it. There is a splash of peach aroma in there as well. Smells great to me.

Tongue: Wow! This is the first one of these I've ever had and oh man... this is the most tart and sour beer I've ever had... didn't know what to expect....great though! No bitterness whatsoever. Very acidic, peach flavor is in there, can definitely taste it. Also some apple/cider taste in here.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: For starters this is the driest beer I've ever drank...really compliments the flavors-acidic and tart/sour-found in this brew. Pretty light on the palate with light carbonation. This is a very crisp brew. This beer could quite easily be a session beer, however that is if you can handle the tartness. As I get farther along with this brew the more used to the style I am becoming, I could see myself drinking a few of these in a row, however I have a feeling it would be a bad idea to drink too many of these. This brew has turned me onto the style and I think I'll keep an eye out for more of this style.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

The beer pours a hazy pale gold color with a thick frothy white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is decent. It has a grainy pale and wheat malt scent along with a mildly tart yeast aroma. There is only a hint of the peaches. The taste is good. It has a light and refreshing pale and wheat malt flavor that is crisp and tart with a slight peach feel. It goes down easy and finishes dry and sour. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinking beer. I'm so glad they didn't make this 11+ %abv or whatever. It's nice to have a session beer with some style.

3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

Sampled on 7-26-07
Bottled on 6-1-07

Pours an extremely pale and cloudy yellow, with no head at all.

Smell is very light, wheaty, with just a little citrus.

Taste is a lip-puckering sour at first, with a wheat breadiness out the back. Just a hint of peach bitterness adds some diversity.

Mouthfeel is good, very carbonated and light.

Drinkability is not as good, the sourness becomes tiring after awhile.

Overall, not what I was expecting. The peach definately takes a backseat, and adds to the sourness. Something different, but kind of bland.

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

The beer poured a very pale, hazy gold color with a solid 1 inch head that receded quickly. The aroma was musty and yeasty with a slight hint of peach and sweet malts. Taste was sour up front and had a bit of peach flavor to go with it and the beer finished with a light malty sweet flavor. Mouthfeel was quite light on the palate. The high level of mouth puckering tartness hurt the drinkability for me. Maybe they could've added some more peach to it? The only other time I've had this style was on a trip to Bavaria a few years ago where they had Berliner Kindl on tap and it was flavored with rasberry syrup. I remember it being very tasty with a good balance between the tartness and sweetness. Either way, you've got to give DFH credit for brewing a style that many consider obscure.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery