2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Festina PêcheFestina Pêche

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,842 | Reviews: 1,206 | Show All Ratings:
kristenspaintings

3.34/5  rDev -8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This beer had a moderately-sized head that disappeared quickly. The aromas is of fresh ripe peaches- very appetizing.

The first taste was a little shocking. It has a very sour fermented-fruit taste and not much aftertaste. The flavor grew on me as I drank the rest of the glass and I ended up liking it. I'd definitely drink this again and I'd make sure I 'm ready for a lambic-style sourness. The flavor definitely reminds me of the lambic fruit beers I had in Belgium.

I was confused when I saw on Beer advocate that the style is Berliner Weissbier. I've had a Berliner and this was nothing like it. Dogfish's Festina Peche is well crafted, but not necessarily something I'm going to seek out specifically because of the sour taste.

08-04-2013 22:39:09 | More by kristenspaintings
MDDMD

3.64/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A-light golden color with a nice white head and little lacing

S-wheat, peach, grains

T-wheat, peach, slight tart grapes, grains

F-light to medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-not as tart as I would like for a Berliner Weisse, peach flavor is nice though

08-04-2013 02:32:41 | More by MDDMD
jrenihan

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Beer is clear straw-golden. A small white head.

Nose is tart and presents a lot of peach juice. Some yogurty lacto notes. Some dry cereal. The peach is a bit much.

Like the nose, the taste is overloaded with peach juice. Moderately tart, with a lacto flavour. Again, dry cereal is notable. Not bad, but the peach makes it taste a bit like a peach-flavoured soda water.

Light bodied and very heavily carbonated. Fizzy, which contributes to the peach soda water impression.

Overall, not bad, but not something I would seek out again. Too fizzy, and too much peach. The sweetness from the peach detracts a bit from the tartness. Yes, that is the point, but not to my preference.

07-31-2013 23:21:28 | More by jrenihan
Hesperus

3.96/5  rDev +9.1%

Appearance: Straw-colored and fully translucent. Peaked at a fully finger of fluffy white head that quickly dissipated.

Smell: Sweet peach, wheat, bread.

Taste: Very tart with a backbone of peach. Some wheat notes are present in the background.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and thin with a moderately high amount of carbonation.

Overall: This is probably not the best example of a Berliner Weiss, but it's an overall enjoyable experience. This is one of the few peach beers I have had that were not cloyingly sweet, the balance between tart and sweet flavors is just right. I would also claim that this is a great beer for introducing people to the style, and perhaps one that can satisfy a staunch wine drinker.

07-29-2013 01:10:57 | More by Hesperus
leaddog

Alberta (Canada)

4.04/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle

Appearance- Pours a light ginger ale colour with half a finger of white head.

Smell- peach, wheat, grains, grass.

Taste- tart and tangy peach along with wheat, grains, grass.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall- A fruit ale that doesn't skimp on peach flavour. Refreshing and crisp. Perfect compliment for the summer season.

07-28-2013 18:02:33 | More by leaddog
VincentFrey

4.03/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: somewhat clear for a berliner weiss, but that's somewhat appealing to me. Doesn't fit tradition but the clarity is just about right.

Smell: My only real issue with the beer. Hints of peach and yeast esters, but oddly corn-like in some ways. Not impressive.

Taste: Nicely tart with a big peach forward. Could be a little bit more sour to complement the peach.

Mouthfeel: just perfect. Crisp on the tongue, drinks easy, no burn, but some nice sour puckering.

Overall: A personal favorite and one I hope stays in the seasonal rotation.

07-23-2013 04:55:02 | More by VincentFrey
phideltashaggy

Tennessee

3.19/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass.

A- A darkish yellow with a billowy white head that quickly faded. No lacing to speak of, although it could be the fault of the glass.

S- a little bready and a lot fruity

T- quite acidic, sour fruits. When licking it out of my moustache, however, it is quite sweet (presumably because it is given the chance to warm up.

MF- The acidity tinges the tongue a little. Thinner than I was expecting.

Overall, this isn't my cup of tea, it's just a little too sour. It's not a bad brew, but I'm not going to be looking for more.

07-22-2013 01:13:40 | More by phideltashaggy
TheSSG

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a MASSIVE, loud, soapy white head that has surprising persistence. Very mellow, subdued aroma of peach skin. Slightly hazy, yellow color. Starts tart, crisp, and loaded with peach and surprisingly malty. A slight biscuit flavor lingers behind it. It peaks in tartness and then moves into a nice, linger biscuit maltiness with peach lingering on.

This isn't a bad Berliner. I enjoy the aggressive maltiness. There's decent tartness, and the peach is subtle but pleasant. This enters my very tiny list of Dogfish Head biers I actually thought tasted good (and weren't just interesting ideas).

07-20-2013 02:53:36 | More by TheSSG
cyclonece09

3.46/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours a greenish yellow, pretty translucent, with a small white head. Smells of peach with very slight grain. Tastes of peaches, but not fresh ones, more like canned ones, with fizzy water. Beer is light bodied and goes down smooth with heavy carbonation. Overall, a slightly above average beer.

07-18-2013 02:03:26 | More by cyclonece09
Fcolle2

3.48/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours light golden in color with a quarter finger white head that disappears instantly

Nose has dominate wheat notes with a very slight peach must with deep yeasty phenols.

Wheat is forward in the taste along with a sour musty yeast that is similar to the nose finishes with a musty peach sweetness.

Mouthfeel has a big carbonation typical for the style. Big sticky body from the malt and sour.

07-16-2013 01:52:41 | More by Fcolle2
SSS

Quebec (Canada)

2.74/5  rDev -24.5%

I am am avid fan of DFH, but this one is not for me...

A-Golden yellow color, no real head to speak of...
S-Musty, funk, high alcohol smell, remind me a little of home-make wine
T-Very tart taste, there is a hint of cheesy sourness (like an overload of lactose or whey) that I can't quite put my finger on...
M-Very much like champagne, the bubbles are quite thin and numerous. High level of carbonation
O-Just not my thing.

07-15-2013 19:48:21 | More by SSS
ThisWangsChung

2.64/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a golden straw color. The head is a fizzy two finger white shade, that fades away to nothing very quickly. It could almost pass for a macro lager.

S: Interesting. I get a whiff of peaches, along with some acid - it's not particularly sour smelling, just acidic. It also develops tones of must, butter, and even some stank-ass cheese. After a while, the buttery notes overwhelm everything, unfortunately. Like I said, interesting, though not very good.

T: I get peaches initially. It quickly turns acidic fast (albeit with a more defined sourness than the aroma suggested), with only a finish of cream-like sweetness to balance it out. A bit cheesy at times, also. I don't know what to think of this one, other than myself not being particularly gaga about it.

M: Good lightness, but a bit too prickly in terms of both carbonation and texture. Even at 4.5%, it should be a little easier to down. At the very least, it is somewhat refreshing.

O: I'm not sure why I'm not digging this - it has the fruit-forward tartness I like from a good sour, without the ridiculous price point. I don't know, this one doesn't come together the way I wanted it to. My first sampling of the style, and it won't be my last. This one, though, I don't need to have again.

07-14-2013 20:31:36 | More by ThisWangsChung
Boardshort_Brewer

1.68/5  rDev -53.7%

Appearance - straw yellow, a little cloudy with zero head. Constant bubbles from the bottom, reminds me of a cider.
Smell - smells exactly of yeast. Bleh.
Taste - like pilsner malt with tart peach... Finishes like yeast. Not a fan, overall a very poor beer...

07-14-2013 20:17:29 | More by Boardshort_Brewer
writerLJBerg

Oregon

2.88/5  rDev -20.7%

12oz bottle.

A: Semi-transparent straw color. Very little head and zero retention. Bubbles geyser up to the top.

N: Straw, butter, biscuit, peach, light sourness, malt.

T: Acid, peach juice, and some stomach acid. Wish there was more to this.

M: Light and dancing. Best part of the beer.

O: It seems like this used to be a lot better. There’s not much fruit flavor and that doesn’t help the acidity. Not too bad, but very average.

07-13-2013 05:12:56 | More by writerLJBerg
greenmtn1111

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 5/07/2013

Poured into a standard pub glass.

Pours a slightly hazy yellow color like fresh cut hay. Head is white and about a thumb’s width. There’s hardly any lacing and it smells strongly of peaches - very sweet and musty smelling. There’s also some wheat and funky aromas in there as well. The taste is tart at first, then predominantly peachy. The tartness level is not very strong but it’s enough, I think. It’s a lot less funky than the aroma and is very refreshing. Overall it’s an interesting take on a Berliner and a pretty successful one.

07-12-2013 22:56:59 | More by greenmtn1111
3sheets2wind

2.29/5  rDev -36.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into my jester king snifter. This is a good looking beer. Very fizzy translucent gold. Aroma is tart peach and biscuit. Taste is disappointing. Very thin with an unpleasant aftertaste. The poach flavor tastes almost fake. Beer is dry, but needs more tartness to cut through the underwhelming old bread finish. The look and mouthfeel are above average.

07-12-2013 22:11:33 | More by 3sheets2wind
alk3kenny

Georgia

4.2/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out a 32oz growler into my BHB tulip glass. Pours a nice clean yellow color, fizzy white head that is gone fairly quickly. Smell is clean, some sour notes but not a ton of peach on the nose. Flavor is very tart, sour nice. Not a ton of peach flavor coming through but I kind of welcome the subtle nature of it... Once the sour flavors back off there is a really biscuit tone to the finish of the beer. I really like this tart, refreshing great finish.

Serving type: growler

07-10-2013 00:47:12 | More by alk3kenny
barczar

Kentucky

3.84/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a lightly hazy golden straw with peach tones and a fleeting ivory head that leaves no trace.

Diacetyl is initially evident, but Berliner yeast funkiness, wheat, and peaches take over quickly. There's a bit of peppery hop tones, but the balance is decidedly peachy.

Flavor is a bit sour throughout, lemony at the finish, and a touch dry. Initial notes of slightly sweet peach give way to biscuit and wheat breadiness mid palate. There's an underlying funk that hides in the background. Floral hops are very subtle.

Body is a bit light of moderate, with slightly high carbonation.

Not as tart or dry as some, and a bit heavy and hot for the style, but a great departure from the usual styles, and pretty refreshing.

07-09-2013 22:01:09 | More by barczar
Etan

Wisconsin

3.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12oz into a tulip.

A: Pours a mellow gold with a nice white head.

S: Aroma brings mild peach fuzz, a little lactic and musty.

T: Slightly sweet peach juice, bready wheat, vague yeast, slightly tart lactic note on the breath.

M: Light-boded with zingy carbonation.

O: Pretty nice and refreshing. A bit more tartness (like that in Perennial's peach berliner) would bring it up, but I don't mind this at all.

07-08-2013 00:44:44 | More by Etan
puckinright

4.26/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The pour is almost champagne like as it is highly carbonated and fervently bubbly. A lemon yellow(ish) color w/ excellent clarity. The peach flavor is woven throughout the beer with a sweet/sour possibly tart finish. Delightfully tart, probably my favorite aspect of this beer.

Dogfish swings (and sometimes misses) for the fences when it comes to trying something different; which in itself should be admired. Festina Peche is a fantastic result that is well different from the typical summer style.

Sometimes I enjoy DFH beers which are different, but not great. This beer is great. I look forward to it every year and find it to be damn refreshing on a hot summer day.

07-07-2013 21:18:48 | More by puckinright
mechtech

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Although this is a low ABV beer, it has a sort of fuzzy peachiness to it. The peach permeates this brew.

I'm not sure if I like what's going on behind the peach flavor though. There is a raw doughy breadiness, I found the alcohol apparent, and the watered down acidic nature of it was slightly unpleasant.

Perhaps this just isn't my style, or perhaps it would me more enjoyable "mit Schuss"...

I wouldn't go out of your way to seek this one out.

07-06-2013 05:55:48 | More by mechtech
BushwyckCraft

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

What a fantastic pour. The effervescent nature of Festina is the first thing that caught my senses. It had a longer than average burst of carbonation, looking more like champagne than beer. The head was a fantastic 2 fingers of white clouds. It was difficult for me to discern any peach in the aroma. Although, I did find peach and a citrus punch with my first sip. This is an easy drinker, not very bitter at all, with a lingering semi-sour finish. The peach flavor definitely comes to life at the end. Wine enthusiasts would love this one. On a side note: my wife just had a sip and her entire face puckered up. She's not a fan of anything sour.

07-04-2013 16:50:58 | More by BushwyckCraft
LambicPentameter

Kansas

3.71/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Enjoyed out of a 12 oz brown bottle poured into a Boulevard Smokestack chalice glass. No discernible bottling or freshness date that I can see.

Appearance - A light lemony yellow with good clarity and carbonation bubbles dispersed throughout the body. Topped by a pillowy soft white head about one finger thick consisting of tiny bubbles, reminiscent of champagne, but it stays around much longer than champagne foam. No lacing to speak of.

Smell - Some general citric tartness. Not much peach characteristic, which surprises me given the use of peach concentrate. Interspersed with the light fruitiness is some grain, like water crackers.

Taste - Here the peach shines through a bit more, and it's like a fresh-cut peach, rather than the crazy artificial peach you will find in things like soda or candy. Balances with some lemon tartness and maybe a hint of green apple? I wish it was more sour, but I think the fair comparison here is a Berliner Weisse that has been enhanced with syrup, as I've been told is common for the normally puckering style. Festina is sort of a pre-syruped version. Since I've never had a BW with syrup added, it's hard to establish a baseline for comparison. Either way, the fact that it's tart instead of sour makes it highly drinkable.

Mouthfeel - Effervescent and light-bodied. Dry finish.

Overall, a wonderful summer beer, but perhaps not the one for you if you're looking for something with a bit of a pucker factor. Still highly refreshing and drinkable. I'll look forward to my second bottle.

07-03-2013 07:13:40 | More by LambicPentameter
dheacck11

Connecticut

3.84/5  rDev +5.8%

Keep reading about berliner weiss, felt obligated to try one.

Pour is a nice clear straw gold. Finger of white fizzy head fading rapidly. Tons of carbonation.

Nose is strong on the peach with a sort of dried corn/malt background. Interesting.

Taste is fascinating. Huge burst of juicy rich peach, with a component of citrus. Follows by a sour malt that feels both a little dry and biting, but also refreshing at the same time. Get a nice aftertaste of peach.

Feel is pretty thin and light. Lingering acid notes. Totally appropriate given everything else.

With nothing to base the beer on for the style, I'm left with my own personal tastes. It's defiintely good, and interesting. The peach is a little much at times, almost cloying, but I gather that is sort of how it's supposed to be. So I guess that's good. Do I like it? sure! Do I love it? Nah. Will I try more Berliner Weiss? Absolutely. Great hot day beer.

07-01-2013 21:14:21 | More by dheacck11
mclynch

4.28/5  rDev +17.9%

Very effervescent with a nice aroma of peaches right out of the bottle.
Light straw color.
A nice berliner weisse - tart and nicely peachy. A great summer beer, low ABV, great refreshment on a hot day. Kudos to Dogfish Head for another interesting brew!

06-30-2013 00:25:36 | More by mclynch