Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
branimal9

South Carolina

4.28/5  rDev +17.6%

Poured from a bottle - 5/24/2010.

Clear pale straw gold in color; highly carbonated. Wheaty, slightly lactic peach aroma. Flavor is light, sour and quite tangy. Slightly funky (wonder what kind of yeast they use?). Very effervescent & awesomely refreshing. A summer favorite of mine.

05-24-2010 23:17:52 | More by branimal9
axeman9182

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured into my Duvel tulip. Festina Peche is a nice straw yellow color, but I'm disappointed by the complete lack of any head formation (and thus no lace either). This is my first Berliner Weiss, and I know not to expect much in the way of a head, but I'd like something. The nose is largely of peaches, but it seems fairly muted/weak (and I haven't had a problem picking up aromas from my other beers tonight). A few sips raise my opinion of this beer greatly, as Dogfish Head absolutely nailed it with how tart they made this beer, it stops just a bit short of becoming overwhelming. The peach flavor is a fantastic balance to the sourness and really rounds out the beer well. The body is light and Festina Peche is highly carbonated (which works well with this beer). It's almost ridiculous how drinkable this beer is, especially given the sour aspect. I'd love to spend a summer afternoon leisurely working through a few of these.

05-22-2010 00:39:47 | More by axeman9182
djbreezy

Washington

4.2/5  rDev +15.4%

Enjoyed this on-tap at Saraveza in Portland, OR poured into a schooner.

appearance - pours a cloudy yellow/orange, head recedes, light lacing

smell - lemon, wheat, peach, sour notes

taste - right away the beer is sour, then the peach and lemon notes start to come out with some wheat hanging out in the mix

mouthfeel - fairly light body that is disguised by the tartness of the beer, high carbonation

drinkability - refreshing and flavorful

05-16-2010 18:08:54 | More by djbreezy
Avagadro

4.08/5  rDev +12.1%

A: FP is quite hazy and displays impressive lacing. It is, however, lacking in the froth department, with no head in sight.

S: bouquet is disappointingly faint, with only a whiff of fresh peaches being detectable.

T: wow, bone dry and exceptionally tart. I am dumbfounded as to how DFH achieved a beer that is this tart without the use of bacteria. I am also very satisfied with the fact that the peach is playing a supporting role in this brew, and not trying to take over the show. Hops are nowhere to be found, but the tartness does an excellent job in their stead.

M: very light and extremely carbonated. the mouthfeel suits the style excellently.

D: I am impressed with the fact that FP delivered a taste of the Berliner weisse, and even more so with the fact that it was accomplished without bacteria. This is the best fruit beer I've had by far, and would definitely recommend it to fans of the Berliner weisse.

05-16-2010 02:43:35 | More by Avagadro
Gobzilla

3.75/5  rDev +3%

A: poured a lemonade type of hue into my tulip with a finger of head that died really quick and had a little bit of sticky lacing.

S: sour lemons come to mind on the first whiff with some tartness and slight vinegar notes. I also kinda get a wheat scent as well.

T: I get some mild sour tartness right away with lemony hay flavors that remind me of fresh sqeezed lemonade. Didn't get much peach character on this one.

M: light bodied with a good amount of bubbly carbonation that accents the overall taste.

D: Not a big fan of the berliner weiss style but I enjoyed this one.

05-12-2010 03:38:41 | More by Gobzilla
AJacob81

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle date-stamped 2009 into a flared Guinness pint.

A - Very cloudy, pale straw in color. A massive head builds and spills a bit over the side of the glass upon pouring, but recedes fairly quickly. Looks like a good example of a weizen/weiss bier.

S - Wheat and sour notes. Not sour peach necessarily, but a general aroma of sour fruit. Not unpleasant, but not really that inviting either.

T - Mouth-puckeringly sour. The peach shows up here, but there is very little sweetness. A basic wheat backbone, with a little spice, again very representative of weizens, but the sourness is the main attraction here. I like the flavor, but don't love it.

M - Still a good deal of carbonation and an overall bready mouthfeel. Finishes somewhat dry and again with the tartness.

D - Not at all quaffable, but a decent drinker thanks to the low ABV. Sits a little heavy in the stomach, though.

I'd like to give a fresh batch of this a try, as the sourness was very compelling. This isn't meant to age this long, but I think it held up reasonably well. Worth the mix 6 add, for sure.

05-09-2010 02:23:41 | More by AJacob81
portia99

4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

12oz bottle (2009 vintage) poured into a Russian River stemmed glass.

A - Pours a cloudy grapefruit juice color with a thin finger of fizzy white had with very little staying power. After the head falls with no so much as a collar on the surface, this really looks a lot like grapefruit juice. A little dark for a Berliner Weissbier, but I expected it to be a bit different given other DFH beers.

S - Hmm, almost smells like a peachy Sprite. I guess that means some lemon-lime aroma kicks in a bit here. Some lactic sourness too, as would be expected. The peach smooths, sweetens and rounds out the aroma pretty well, but also serves to push the boundaries of the style. Enjoyable though.

T - Flavor is much more in line with the Berliner Weissbier style than I expected. Tart, lactic, lemony, with a touch of peach around the fringes. A bit puckering and bracing, but this is expected and desirable. Not truly classic, but a surprisingly good tasting example of the style.

M - Thin, watery and highly carbonated. Tart and puckering...tingles the tongue and sides of the mouth. Definitley light, refreshing and thirst quenching.

D - Well this definitely has to be one of the most drinkable styles out there, at least for me - and this is no exception. Light, lively carbonation and a great sour/tart flavor...throw in a low 4.5% alcohol level and here's a beer that you can drink all day. Think I'll be grabbing more of this in the summer when this will really shine.

04-29-2010 00:39:05 | More by portia99
bamadog

Kentucky

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

I had this one pretty close to a year ago and it was the first beer that I had that was remotely sour/tart, and I really didn't dig it at the time. Since then I've had a few offerings that are sour/tart and I've definitely grown to appreciate them, so I thought I'd give this another shot so I grabbed a single of it. Review is from notes taken on 4/26/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale straw color and starts with a 1/2 finger white head that fades quickly to a very thin and uneven skim; body is a little hazy and shows quite a bit of strong carbonation bubbling up throughout; no lacing holds at all to the sides of the glass.

Smell: A lot of toasted cracked grains and yeastiness right up front; there is a nice following of the peach scent; overall it comes across as a little tart.

Taste: Not especially strong or robust, but the sour/tart peachiness right up front, and it makes the mouth pucker a bit; the tart fruitiness is followed by a really nice toasty/grainy presence and a slightly sweet maltiness that offers a little bit of reprieve from the sour/tart aspect for a well-rounded drink overall.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is quite strong and borderline sharp -- could be just a tad mellower; the sour/tartness really makes the mouth pucker and when it subsides the mouth is left watering a little; the roof of the mouth is left with a moderately thick coating and the belly is left a little warm from the acidity.

Drinkability: The first time I had this beer, I really couldn't get into it, but now I feel I can appreciate and enjoy it. I would find this quite refreshing in the summer, and with the low ABV I could easily enjoy a few, but would limit it two probably two because of the acidity.

04-27-2010 13:45:28 | More by bamadog
nickspagnolo

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

A: looks like a regular macro beer and has very little foam

s: SOUR and sweet

T: it has an interesting taste...difficult to describe. It is like a sour peach more than beer flavored. More like sparkling peach juice.

m: Lightly carbonated peach soda

D: goes down easy with a little tartness...I could drink a few of these without a problem.

04-19-2010 02:35:23 | More by nickspagnolo
VIEILLE

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +20.3%

The first sunny days of spring made me crave a nice summer beer.
The local beer store was still full of porters, stouts ,barley wines, barrel aged this and that , but nothing to quench the thirst for summer. My favorite summer beer is the apricot IPA by dog fish head, but of corse it's not available, yet. Actually there's a snow storm in Denver and here in Portland there is hardly any Dog Fish head beer at all. Then there it was setting there all by it's lonesome the Festina Peche, just screaming summer. It was exactly what I was looking for, just perfect for a sunny afternoon.

Color and appearance: The color was a light straw yellow with a little cloud of yeast, topped with a light dissipating foam.

Mouthfeel: light and crisp, pallet cleansing.

Aroma: Loads of citrus, tangerine and meyer lemon, with a subtle floral peach background, and light yeast aroma.

Taste: nice and tart with a dash of sour, lots of citrus, with a light peach essence.

Glass used: A wide mouth goblet

Pairings: sunshine, paella, sushi, and grilled poultry.

04-18-2010 04:58:28 | More by VIEILLE
beer2day

2.95/5  rDev -19%

Extremely pale yellow pour. Ugly color - way too macro looking. Audibly fizzy beer. Active 1-finger head, but quickly dissipates and leaves nothing behind. No lacing.

Nose is more lemon that peach. Perhaps not yet ripe peaches.

Very sour beer. More sour than tart, but tart is there toward the end and really comes out in the finish. Very puckering. If you like sour, you'll love this one.

Body is very light, but that's expected with the style.

Overall, I think they hit their mark. I'm just left to wonder why?

04-14-2010 00:25:22 | More by beer2day
Mosley1212

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

Wow. This beer was not what I was expecting.

A - Pours a pale, straw color that looked like water when it was pouring out of the bottle. Not attractive at all.

S - Ok smell. Lot of malt present. Also pick up a hint (albeit just a trace) of floral and peaches.

T - It hits your tastebuds like an anvil. Very, very sour taste. Almost like drinking a lemon zest. Being from the south, I like my peach flavor overly sweet, this isn't what I was expecting in this beer.

M - Biting sensation on the toungue as the sourness of the beer hits. But it does away toward the end of the beer and the beer starts sweeting up.

D - Not much drinkability here. It's ok for what it is (a sour), but I wouldn't sit down and drink a sixer of this or anything.

04-10-2010 17:49:37 | More by Mosley1212
RomaniIteDomum

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

Pours a hazy yellow with a nice white head that hangs around for a little while.

Smells of sweet wheat with a little kiss of peach.

This is actually a lot more tart that I would ahve guessed. It's not quite lambic or sour level, but it;s up there. The peach lends essence more than sweetness.

Light but not watery in the mouth. Nice carbonation.

Fairly drinkable and refreshing, but not really something I will seek out.

04-09-2010 02:48:47 | More by RomaniIteDomum
washburnkid

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Reviewed from notes.

One finger white froth dissipates rather quickly. The brew is transparent straw. Fruity esters and a sour green apple are emphasized on the nose. There's also a hint of wet hay or straw, but just a hint. Flavors are tart tart tart! This is true to the style descriptions. The sour notes aren't distinctly peach, though I am partial to sweet, ripe peaches and long for that flavor instead. It's pretty overwhelming, which is wonderful for a sour lover like me. Not much of a taste for hops, but that also appears to be true to the style. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, and the sour notes pull at my taste buds.

This brew is like a hybrid of a cider and a wild ale. It's sour, and then sweet, and of course back to sour again. Very tasty, but I definitely couldn't have more than one in a single sitting.

04-05-2010 02:54:03 | More by washburnkid
CraftAleRookie

3.3/5  rDev -9.3%

Pour from a bottle stamped 2009 into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A- Thick, foamy, 1.5 finger head that dissipated into a few minutes into a lacy coating. Very light lacing that didn't linger. Very cloudy, unique orange/pink color (coral?)

S- Tart citrus- more to the lemony side

T- TART!! Bitter apple, sour lemon.

M- Foam/Fizzy, fuller side of light, vibrant

D- HOT HOT HOT weather malt beverage- you need to be overheated and sweaty to really enjoy this thirst quencher. It's perfect for those conditions, but certainly not an everyday brew.

04-03-2010 19:25:13 | More by CraftAleRookie
mactrail

Washington

3.7/5  rDev +1.6%

Acidic, faintly flavored, pale beer.

Utterly without a hint of sweetness, and very lemony-tart. Pleasing flavor if you like a sharp edge. Low viscosity, thin, and crisp in the mouth. From past tastings I seem to remember some fruit aroma, but I don't get any fruit except the tartness that makes me think of lemons.

A good drink for the right mood. I'm trying this one after a session in the salt water, but it has taken me six weeks to drink three out of the four pack.

03-25-2010 03:20:48 | More by mactrail
PeprSprYoFace

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

This is probably one of 2 DFH beers I actually like. Most of their stuff is just too much for me.

Pours a cloudy grain color. Light wheat lookin color. No head and no lacing.

Aroma is probably my favorite thing. Fruity and tart aroma.

Taste is good. Nice and tart and with a good wheat malt backbone. Refreshing and easy to drink. I can't really taste peaches.

Mouthfeel is a little too viscous for the style IMO. Needs a little more carb too.

Overall I will probably buy this again. A solid Berliner that deserves a try.

03-23-2010 01:14:16 | More by PeprSprYoFace
DavoleBomb

3.88/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured into a pint. I had this a long time ago during my formative craft beers months. I liked it a lot back then and I'm curious to see if I'll like it more or less now. Thanks go out to Mudpuppet for this one.

3.5 A: Cloudy dark yellow color. I wasn't expecting a great head, but the one finger of fizzy white fell in a matter of seconds.

3.5 S: Decent amount of muskiness, with tart peach, and a soft wheat background. Not bad, just really weak.

4.0 T: At first sip, the lactic acid really comes through. Over time, the lactic acid bite mellows but a peachy tartness persists. Slight fruitiness, but mostly dry.

4.0 M: Light body and spritzy carbonation work well. I'm usually not a fan of light bodies, but it works well in this brew.

4.0 D: Overall this is a pretty simple brew, but it isn't half bad and quite refreshing though one might be enough.

03-22-2010 04:11:14 | More by DavoleBomb
UCLABrewN84

4.43/5  rDev +21.7%

12 oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A - Pours a very pale yellow with a small head that fades to a cap. Lacing is minimal.

S - Fruity sour peach notes mixed with biscuit malt smells.

T - Very tasty yet slightly sour. The peach flavor is not overpowering and the wheat mixes very well overall. There is no bitterness whatsoever to this beer.

M - Very tart and crisp with a great level of carbonation.

D - Excellent drinkability. This is a very refreshing and easy going beer. I just tried this for the first time recently, but I can say with certainty that this will be a frequent go to beer for the hot Southern California months ahead.

03-21-2010 06:48:09 | More by UCLABrewN84
OtherShoe2

3.75/5  rDev +3%

Pours a cloudy, dirty yellow with a skim of white head and some floaters. Looks like you poured a flat macro in a dirty glass. I don't judge by appearance at all, but in this case, it is ugly. There are alot of carbonation bubbles rising in this one, which helps in this category.

Immediate sour note, but nothing spoiled or vinegar-like. Some tart fruit in the aroma and light grain and yeast as well.

Instant tart flavor, but in a good way. Prickly carbonation clears the palate (almost a seltzer-like element, leading to light tart fruit, yeast, like malt, and a clean, dry finish. The hell with the peach element -- I dug this for being very clean and very very different.

A moderate body with good carbonation. Not watery at all, but at the same time light and refreshing.

Overall, very very easy drinking. People who only like one style, or are new to craft beer will not be shocked and appalled by this -- it is beer-like, but the sour note will throw them off. Worth trying this one if new to the style.

03-19-2010 11:44:11 | More by OtherShoe2
DesMoinesMike

Iowa

1.88/5  rDev -48.4%

Well, they can't all be winners. My wife picked this out thinking a fruit beer would be a nice thing to try, and we fuckin' hated it. It's a pretty dark gold color with lots of carbonation. The aroma has a bit of peach with lots of hops. The taste is godawful, it stings and is super sour. I almost couldn't swallow it because it was so bad, and it left an awful aftertaste. Three sips was enough before it went down the drain. Absolutely never again with this one.

03-16-2010 02:29:06 | More by DesMoinesMike
PDXHops

South Carolina

4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a small pils glass.

Pours an exceedingly pale hazy straw color with just a skim of a head, but it's kept alive with a steady dose of vigorous fizzy carbonation. No lacing.

Very nice nose- tart peach fruitiness, some tangy wheat and yeast. A bit of floral sweetness in the background, but quite tangy overall. Can't wait to give this a try.

Tart green apple and lemon shock the tongue at first, but slighlty sweeter peach soon arrives, followed by some husky light grains and snappy wheat. Medium bodied with very active carbonation that cleans the palate with ease. Dries out substantially at the finish, but the tartness never overwhelms.

Tasty and extremely refreshing beer here. I'd love to see more American brewers give this style a chance.

03-15-2010 20:52:48 | More by PDXHops
Portertime

3.75/5  rDev +3%

One of my favorite breweries DogFish Head rarely lets me down. Poured a hazy orange thick looking color. Smell was subdued peaches that weren't fake like out of a can with a slight sour note. Taste was clean, peachy, not overwhelming but not very complex. The wheat showed through as well as a little yeast with a tart finish. Not bad and possibly my first for this style.

03-13-2010 06:14:33 | More by Portertime
deltatauhobbit

Maine

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a slightly hazy straw golden color, very large white head but fades at a fast rate, no lacing.

Smell is mostly sweet malt with a bit of a grassy presence, peach fruit is present but not overwhelming.

Taste is surprisingly tart and sour, carbonation is on the high side and would have been nicer if it were softer, the sourness really tickles the sides of the mouth, slightly dry finish, the peach isn't as present as it was in the aroma since there seems to be more of a fruity citrus aspect.

My first time drinking the Berliner Weissbier style, not quite what I was expecting, although DFH rarely does what one expects.

03-10-2010 23:22:18 | More by deltatauhobbit
backfat

Indiana

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%

i don't know why advocate is asking me where i had this at? on my buddies couch while watching 'dune' (don't judge me!)
pours a very light hazed straw color with a very quickly dissipating, film like head. A lot of white wine (sauv. blanc) like aromas, with light peach, sweet yeast, and apples. taste is really really tart. whew. lemon juice, green apples, faint peach. some cider qualities. very interesting. champagne carbonation mouthfeel. A little too tart for me right now, but i could drink 'em on new years as a champagne sub.

03-10-2010 19:02:42 | More by backfat