Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Hazy pale golden color with a thin white cap.

S: Big tart aroma of unripe white peaches. A little bit of funk in there as well.

T: Very smooth and sweet with a lot of peach flavor. A slight wheat taste on the finish. To me, it didn't taste like a berliner weiss as much as it did a lambic or even a cider. The mouthfeel wasn't quite as light as I've come to expect and the beer lacked that delicate tartness. That said, I still enjoyed it a lot.

3.79/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into a weizen glass

A: Pale golden color with the slightest haze to it. Minimal fizzy head with a loose frothy ring around the edges. No lacing at all.

S: Smells a bit on the sour side with peaches and sour apple, although there is more of a malt aroma present than expected.

T: Very tart, but just within the threshold to keep it enjoyable. Fermented peaches and sour apple flavors with a more subtle peach and malt finish. The lingering taste is honestly my favorite part. It's like each sip is a bit of a challenge, but then the flavors slowly reside into a tongue tingling true beer flavor. The finish is a bit dry with flavors reminiscent of american wheat beers.

M: Puckery, fizzy, light bodied. Very crisp.

O: Well it's no Monk's Flemish Sour ale (yes i know it's a different style), where the tartness is followed by a bit more complexity, but this is still a very enjoyable beer. And it's extremely outside the box. I will probably be purchasing my own pack of this, since this was only a 12oz sample. As far as summer beers go, this was definitely refreshing, literally and figuratively.

3.87/5  rDev +6%

Pours a modest one fingers worth of white head. No lacing remains, a thin ring of bubbles do tho. Slightly hazy, very very very pale yellow body.

Smells tart, malty, some white fruit.

Tastes sweet and sour, like sweet tarts: go figure. The peach flavor comes through quite nicely similar to other fruits I've brewed with. Its not just like a peach but a fermented version of the fruit, with subtle notes of the actual fruit.

Mouthfeel is thin and pleasing. Medium high carbonation keeps the slightly puckering tartness interesting and plesant.

Overall this is very nice. I'd have many of these in one sitting if needed. $2.50 a single is ok considering the nice flavors and high drinkability.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pilsner glass. "Bottled in 2011 1031."

A: Really white two fingers of head bubbles and churns before fading completely. LOTS of bubbles in an extremely pale milk-yellow beer. Not perfectly clear.

S: Grain and tart fruit.

T: Very tart, but pleasantly so. I might not have picked out peach without knowing the name, but it is increasingly obvious on the light, clean aftertaste. Maintaste is brief and would be beery if not for the overriding sour peach. Pretty good beer.

M: Puckery, moreish, and summery.

O: A really great of the style. It actually grows on me a lot. Light and fun. Unlike some other Berliner Weissbiers, the tartness is never overbearing. Recommended. Would drink again.

3.52/5  rDev -3.6%

A: substantial white, bubbly head. quickly disappears. It's so light. Pale yellow straw with some dulled white in it. Lots of bubbles.

S: Tart. Citrus - lemons - and sour. Grains. Not to my taste, but pretty good I guess for the style.

T: Very sour. Acidic lemons, some grains in the aftertaste. Some fruit. Not really a fan.

M: Carbonated, light, meh.

O: Definitely not my thing, but like I said, a decent representation of the style. Had a hard time rating, because this is not a style I enjoy. I won't have another, but if you like Berliner weissbiers, might as well go for it.

Pours a nice yellow with a large white fluffy lasting head. Aroma of sweet peaches, and nice light fruity esters fill the nose. Taste is a sweet, tart and sour combination of flavors, ansd sweet ripe peaches. Plate is a nice medium body, lightly carbonated, with a nice refreshing mouthfeel. Finish is sweet, tart and sour but not overpowering, with ripe peaches and with some light malt on the end. Overall an interesting and well done easy drinking brew.

3.76/5  rDev +3%

A- golden yellow color with a thin head

S- smells like a Belgian witbier with the ester smell

T- sour hits your tongue with hints of peaches. Low to no hops

M- highly carbonated and light on the mouth.

O- I enjoyed this beer. It was the first sour I have ever had and thought it was a good summer session beer. Very light and easy drinking.

3.76/5  rDev +3%

A: very light, lemon colored clear beer with a small amount of head. Light lacing that disappears very quickly. Unique appearance of beer; not a color you see often.

S: The smell is not very appealing to me. By just smell alone, it wouldn't be a beer I would be interested in smelling. It reminds me of college...

T: Very unique beer. It is definitely something i've never had before. I taste a lot of lemon, mango, and peaches. Has a nice sour taste mid drink and follows with a mellow finish. Being that this was my first taste of a sour beer, I am quite pleased. It is something you need to get used to but is a surpisingly delicious beer!

M: cold, light, crisp, and sour. Leaves a great taste lingering on your lips. Medium carbonation.

O: Overall, this is a beer that makes you scratch your head. Not pleased with the smell, okay appearance but with a unique, interesting sour lemon/mango taste, it is sure to please!

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

Poured a 12 oz bottle into a Lindeman's glass.

Pours a very light yellow color with a thick head that lingers. High levels of carbonation.

Tangy and sour with hints of sour peaches mixed in somewhere.

Upon tasting, the sour, bitter notes dominate. The wheaty malt is felt in the nose. Whats really nice is that the sour peach flavor doesnt overpower anything. It's there (in extreme moderation mind you), but it cuts what would be an awful aftertaste from strictly wheat malt. The sourness stays with you through the end.

Aftertaste is all sour and slightly fruity. This is where the fruit comes out to play. If you can make it through the initial assault, you'll experience what this beer is really all about.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

One of the first DFH beers I wasn't overly impressed with. It tasted like someone poured canned peach juice into an effervescent wit bier. I've had previous iterations of this beer, and this seasons was just...off. Tasted more like a wine cooler than it did a beer. Surprisingly, two cases of this flew out of the fridge at my BBQ yesterday. I'm thinking everyone else enjoyed it far more.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

12 oz bottle, served in SN Snifter.
Bottled in 2011 printed on bottle.

A: straw yellow, slight golden tinge, with a finger of off white eggshell head. very cloudy, looks highly carbonated. the carbonation clings to the sides of the glass. very slight lacing on the sides.

S: peach, citrus, and some prominent wheat flavor. very bready smelling. Definitely fruity and sweet. No alcohol or hops present.

T: Sour, very sour at virst, with a very distinct wheat/bready and peach juice aftertaste. The peach is in no way overpowering, and very nice. the overall aftertaste after the peach fades, is wheat and bready.

M: very light bodied the carbonation in in full force in this one. Shows really nicely, and clears the palate well, leaving only a mild aftertaste

O: all in all I think this is a good beer, the body and the sourness of it balance nicely, as they battle back and forth in your mouth. Dogfish head has done it again

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

Pours a orange amber with carbonation bubbles rising to the top and very little head. You can immediately detect the peach concentrate in the nose. Taste is sweet up front and tart in the finish. The sweetness from the peach compliments the tartness of this beer nicely. Crisp and well carbonated. I find this to be a nice change of pace for summer brews, but the tartness keeps me from having too many.

1.75/5  rDev -52.1%

Pours a thin pale yellow, clouded slightly with a one finger head and some slight lacing.

Aromas consist of light weak peach with no projection, some very faint breads?

Tart, bland and incredibly synthetic in the mouth. Dries down very quickly with only a lingering chemical taste at the end. Effervescence is okay, but does nothing to redeem it.

In the best way possible, I cannot begin to see how the brothers gave this an A-. This is not really a DFH, in my opinion. It tastes really like nothing of their other carefully crafted, flavorful offerings. In a blind taste, I would have considered this to be a shitty Inbev attempt to capitalize off of something like Abita's Purple Haze. Intensely disappointing and a drainpour.

Before now, I think I placed absolute trust in anything that was made by Dogfish Head - thus, I picked it up on blind faith alone. Going to try really hard to forget this beer.

3.86/5  rDev +5.8%

Tasted July 12th 2011 (from notes)

Poured into a la Chouffe tulip

A - golden almost white straw, one finger white head and no lacing

S - yeast, smells like a wine cooler, slight hops, very sour, great peach and lots of fruity flowers

T - peach, slight sour, lots of yeast, very light hops and more peach

M - light, fluffy, carbonated, medium acidity, slight body, a bit balanced and medium finish

D - this is the best fruit juice I have ever had! I would drink this juice and only this juice forever if this juice was cheap

Final thought - fun to try a bottle but 4? Only of my kids wanted peach juice. But still, lots of flavor and fun to drink. Need to try this guy on tap

3.71/5  rDev +1.6%

This beer is semi-cloudy and pale gold in color. Not much of a head formed in the glass (unless I did a bit of swirling). The nose was slightly floral (like fresh linen) with a bit of chewing gum (juicy fruit?).

Boy was this beer tart. Very sour with a champagne-like dryness (very reminiscent of Duvel). Did I detect tannins? It was fairly mouth-drying. I'm not sure I tasted peaches at all. It had a very light body and finish without any hop bite whatsoever. Refreshing? Yes. Tasty? I didn't really enjoy it, but perhaps this type of beer is an acquired taste (by the way, I am willing to work a little to acquire that taste).

Let me state right off the bat that I did not like this beer and that it may have been the first Berliner Weissbier I've ever had. After reading the description of the style on this site, I was not at all surprised to find that it almost perfectly described this particular beer. I have to give it reasonably high marks because, based on the description, it seemed like a very good representative of this style. I may revise this review once I've had a chance to try a few others.

1.85/5  rDev -49.3%

As a Dogfish Head lover, I couldn't wait to try this beer which is featured in so many magazines and newspapers as the "perfect summer brew." Wow, was I disappointed.

If you're like me, and enjoy a heartier beer like an IPA, stout, or even lager or typical ale, this is on the other end of the spectrum. If I didn't know it was from Dogfish, I would have guessed AB brews it and it was some new, Bud Light flavored beer.

Pours very light hazy color.
Aroma isn't bad. Some fruit and sours.
But the taste was awful. Totally sour, very off putting.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

I had this beer many times. The first time I drank it, it was much more sour. Really sour without being overboard. But ever since then(about 2 and a half years ago) it's been much more neutral.

Pours a hazy medium yellow with only a small whispy head.

Nose is slightly grainy and a little bit of fruit, but more of a faint tartness.

Taste is so good on a hot summer day. It was like 90 degrees outside when I ordered this at a restaurant and I ordered a water on the side but it turns out I did'nt really need it. So quenching and fulfilling. Hardly any alcohol taste in it. Very light, but not really watery. Mostly pale grains and lots of tart fruitiness.

I think I like this beer more every time I try it.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured a light hazy golden color from a 12 oz bottle, with ABV and freshness date on the label.
One finger head that dissipated fairly quickly.
Aroma is predominantly of peach with hints of other sweet fruity esters coming through.
Taste is sour with the peach tartness coming through strongly.
Good for a hot summer day, but I can already tell that the tartness is going to be a big factor in determining the drinkability of this beer with respect to my palate.
Different beer from Dogfish Head, definitely worth a try.

3.32/5  rDev -9%

Eh, I am usually one who loves me some DFH, and tried it at a beer festival, after pouring it for countless others, and working with the DFH rep all day, and all I say is....eh.

It looked like any lighter body weiss, which is ok, nothing to write home about. The smell was interesting, I was expecting to smell the peaches, however I got a hint of something not usually in a brew, not a bad thing, just not expected. The taste....hmmm....well sour is the best describer. Again, I was expecting some peach overtones, or a peach finish, none of which I got. I got the distinct taste of fermented fruit, the sourness of a formerly sweet ingredient, but it could have been anything.

It was a good summer beer, if not at least refreshing, but I can't let the peach thing go!

2.33/5  rDev -36.2%

I had this at Barcade in Brooklyn during the goodbeer seal event. I was really looking forward to trying this beer as I had heard some good things about sours this year. I have to say I was disappointed with it...
A-Light hazy color, the bar was a bit dark and it was a few weeks ago.
S-Nice Aroma you could definitely smell a little bit of peach and that you were about to drink a sour.
T-Tart and a bit boring with zero hop character. I was expecting to taste something very peachy but the beer just tasted like it had alot of added sugar. It was not enjoyable to drink an entire pint of this. I would much rather drink a cider than this sour.
M-Light and watery.
O-I'll have to revisit this beer after I introduce my palate to a few more sour beers. Overall the beer was what they promised but I'm still not convinced they should put Peach in the name.

3.21/5  rDev -12.1%

Very pretty colour, light golden and a bit foggy. Smells... like not much, oddly enough. Taste is VERY tart. Where are the peaches? This is not very peachy. Smooth feel but overall too tart and almost astringent, drying. Maybe too sour to be refreshing or to detect the peach.

There's a bottle of Lindeman's Peche Lambic in the fridge and I'm looking forward to it. I haven't got my peach fix from the Festina.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Beer pours a very slightly hazy yellow with a vigorous head that disappears quickly. Yeasty, wheat laced aroma in the front, followed by ripe peach. Flavor starts with the maltiness of the wheat followed by a pervasive peach nectar flavor. Very tart, but very refreshing, the tartness is not overpowering in any way. I really like this beer and it is nice to get a summer seasonal that is a little different. Your don't see a ton of berliner weissbiers around and that's too bad, this beer is really refreshing on a warm day.

Always good to have this one on hand in the summer! Bottled in 2011. Enjoyed on 07/15/11.

A - A very vigorous pour into a snifter yields a one finger white head that dissipates before you can put the bottle down. It's a very pale, hazy straw yellow color with absolutely nothing on top after the head goes away and leaves no lacing. Even for a berliner weiss, this should have some kind of head on top of it.

S - Tart peaches, pale malts, hay, grass, some citrus as well. I find most berliners to be quite bland but this is exciting.

T - Follows the nose. Classic berliner weiss: very pale malts, grassy, some light floral hops, with just the added extra kick of tartness from the peaches. The peach gives it something that other berliner's lack, which makes it interesting.

M - Mouthfeel is quite good. A little creamier than your normal for the style, which is to be expected from DFH.

O - Overall, this is one of my favorite summer seasonals. Dogfish rarely fails to please.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served on-tap in a white wine glass at Horse & Hound (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Peach-light orange with short cap of off-white, creamy head with a very waves of lacing.

S: Strong peach and apricot aromas with light herbal hopping. Pale maltiness backs it all.

T: Very fruity peach with light grassy, herbal hopping. The pale maltiness lends some sweetness and a bit of cracker character, but not much else.

M: THin but dry with light body and medium-plus carbonation.

O: A decent fruit beer but not too much else speaks for it. Not a real big step up from Magic Hat #9, and that's not saying much.

3.61/5  rDev -1.1%

The bottle describes this as a neo-berliner weiss, so that explains the higher abv and such (no need to rate it exactly to style in my opinion). Poured into a chalice. The color is very light straw and slightly hazy. The head isn't large and only forms a rim around the glass.

The aroma is enjoyably full of slightly sweet peach and fruit. The wheat is also evident here. This seems inviting.

The taste starts out with a nice lemon-like tartness. There is a mildly sweet peachy-wheat malt finish that leaves a slightly tart aftertaste in the mouth. The balance this strikes should appeal to most types of drinkers.

The body is light and this is very drinkable. The carbonation seems mild.

Not bad. I like this a little more than I think I did last year, though maybe less than 2 years ago; but memories can be hazy.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery