Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. First beer of the new year!

Appearance: light golden yellow color with a little haze thrown into the works. One finger of quickly-dissipating fizzy head.

Smell: light malt aroma with a hint of peach. Pretty good, but a little on the subtle side.

Taste: very interesting. It reminds me most of champagne; it's truly got a good fermented-fruit flavor. That this fruit is peach is not as readily apparent on the tongue as in the nose. There is a nice tartness to it; again, this reminds me of brut champagne. This is one of the most original beers I've tasted.

Mouthfeel: medium body with relatively low carbonation. It works for the style, although with the champagne flavor it would be interesting to have more in the way of bubbles.

Drinkability: this is quite a drinkable beer. I feel like it would be out of place neither at a fashionable soirée nor a barbecue. Good stuff!

flagmantho, Jan 01, 2010

I really enjoy this beer. It is far from the norm, even in the world of American craft, and quite well-done.

Also, I am not a fan of the 2010 version. This review is of the old version.

A - Pale, cloudy yellow, big head that quickly subsides, with no retention.

S - Smells like radler / shandy, chardonnay, lemon, peach and wheat. Obvious lactic.

T - Very dry and sour, with the ghost of a wheat sweetness, but not the wheat sweetness itself. Definitely a lot in common, taste-wise, with chardonnay. Small fruit flavor, but very subtle. No hops detected, whatsoever. A very unusual tasting beer. A nice take on the style.

M - Clean and fresh and refreshing. Tart, dry finish. Moderate carbonation.

D - Edit: The new version (2010) sucks. Not sour, it is a peach fruit beer. Booo. Hiss. Pppbbbfff. I give it the Bronx Cheer.

ktrillionaire, Dec 28, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -37%

Festina Pêche is a hazy blonde color with a half inch head that had very little retention. The aroma is mildly citrus. The beer tastes like some kind of lemon tonic water, not sweet and only moderately bitter. I can smell a little of the peach, but I can't taste any of it. The feel is light bodied with little carbonation. Drinkability is not good.

Apparently Festina Pêche is fairly true to style, and the style is not for me. I am hoping for some improvement after it warms up, but I hope in vain. Just plain bad.

kegger22, Dec 26, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured a light straw yellow with a light white head and a tiny amount of lacing

Smelled pretty sour, with some peach and wheat aromas coming through mainly

Tasted sour off the first taste, slowly tasting of sour peaches and a nice wheat body on it. Slightly watery, as most wheat beers seem to taste, but a great light beer. I think this could be very drinkable if it were not for the hefty price tag. Nice and refreshing in the end.

alpinebryant, Dec 24, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance is creamy orange, with moderate light colored head.

First sniff is interesting, smells hoppy and fruity, no noticeable wheat or malt smell.

Taste starts of pretty solid peach notes followed by sour and dry, but after that nothing really. Lacking in hop, wheat and malt flavor. Finish is quick and dry, nothing to savor.
Carbonation is nice in the mouthfeel, and it is fairly refreshing.

Overall and interesting beer, Im glad I tried, probably won't purchase again.

Imsothirsty, Dec 23, 2009
3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

From Notes:

A - A hazy light orange in color, with a white head that did not last long.

S - A slight sour peach, with a small whiff of wheat .

T - A sour peach flavor, with a small bit of wheat crackers behind all that twang. This is a mouth pucker sucker.

M - A lively biting carbonation, that makes this beer light and airy.

D - This one was too twangy for me to put down more then one at a time, I like sour beers, but this one is a little hard to drink imo.

2010 update
A less sour, and watery 2010 Festina Peche recieves a new score of 3.0 across the board, DFH will once again tweek this brew in 2011.

earthboundagain, Dec 23, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Finally found a 4 pack after searching for a while, and unique is the best way to describe this beer.

Appearance - clear hazy color of yellow and wheat. Head goes away fast and you can tell off the bat its going to be carbonated.

Smell - very sweet aroma, however its more of overall fruit versus peach. Something at the time I couldn't place was the smell of sweetness which I'm not attributing to the malts.

Taste - Unexpected. It reminds me of a pale ale in many ways but the peach is what throws me for a loop. It's not an apparent taste but more in the after taste and the malts are very powerful. As with many of Dogfish's beers, it very complex. The first taste is sweet that of natural sugar but then smoothes out into the malt. Only problem is that sweetness becomes overpowering with time.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated and oddly enough the beer is tending to stick to the roof of my mouth. It gives the impression I've eaten fruit and of course this is due to the peach.

Drinkability - You know I love peach, one of my favorite flavors but this beer is so complex and just entirely different that I'm torn. I am impressed in its complexity and characteristics however it needs to be sipped and then should be paired with food to help deal with the sugar. I would say you need heavy chocolate to compliment it. Bottom line is its a great beer but not one to have over and over again.

Nezzy, Dec 21, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had as homebrew club commercial example.

A - Poured yellow with 2 fingers of white head. Light carbonation, which dissipated moderately fast. Left no lacing.

S/T - Wheat, peach, honey, fruity esters, and a slight sourness. Pretty good.

M - Light to moderate in body, malt dominated, sweet, and finished dry.

D - Great, wonderful overall. A really good beer for the berliner style.

MisterClean, Dec 15, 2009
2.93/5  rDev -19.7%

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in a goblet.

Aroma: Light aroma overall with light to medium wheat notes (somewhat bready). Very light fruity sweetness.

Appearance: Light gold/straw color. Slight off-white head that quickly dissipates with no trail. Clear with some haze (few tiny bubbles visible).

Flavor: Tart fruitiness up front (prominent) with no noticeable hop character. Slight sweetness with a light wheat character in back. Some dryness at finish.

Mouthfeel: Light body with high carbonation that gives a champagne-like crispness. Some creaminess (oddly considering other characteristics).

Overall Impressions: Certainly works well for warm weather and is better very cold. Very champagne-like to drink. OK beer, but I have no need to buy it again (simply not my preference).

luchris80, Dec 08, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +9%

A: Pours a cloudy, light yellow-white color. Small head quickly dissipates to almost literally nothing. Looks a little like a sparkling juice.

S: Sweet and syrupy peaches, similar to what canned peaches smell like. Also hints of citrus, apples, and yeast.

T: Whoa! Wasn't expecting so much sour. I'm diggin' it though. Starts off sweet - I get more apple juice than peach. Also some white grapes. Taste quickly turns sour, pinching the sides of your tongue and making you want to pucker after each sip. Sour green apples and lemon. The finish really smacks your taste buds around! Upon close inspection, this brew also reminds me a lot of a white wine. I like sour brews, so I enjoyed this.

M: Fairly light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Again, similar to white wine in this respect.

D: A tasty, tart brew. This reminded me a bit of a tart Cantillon Gueuze (but not at that level of quality). If you don't like sour tasting things, this one probably won't be for you. If you do like them, however, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this. This is the first "Berliner Weissbier" I've had, but based on the description this seems to be true to style. I'm going to try to find more beers in this style now, especially in the summer!

MrDanno96, Dec 08, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Hazy light yellow with a little bit of white head at first that went away immediately.

S - Similar to chardonnay. Some acidity and of course peaches. Some tartness as well. All good aromas for a berliner weiss.

T - More chardonnay flavors, some tartness up front with some crackers in back from the wheat. Obviously, there are some peach flavors in here as well. Very nicely balanced.

M - A nice biting carbonation that gives it a light airy body. Almost like a champagne.

D - Good, goes down smoothly. Reminds me sort of a champagne. Tartness is very refreshing.

fropones, Dec 04, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Hazed pale blonde with a fine, lean white head that leaves blobs of sliding lace on the glass. The smell is super concentrated peach with a wisp of wheat malt. Tart and acidic, mouth puckering lemon juice and a touch of peach to take the edge off, not my favorite but the flavors fit the style definition to a tee. Light bodied and super carbonated. This beer is for people who like extremely bitter flavors with little to no sweetness to balance.

biggred1, Dec 02, 2009
2.7/5  rDev -26%

Color is a pale yellow with an almost non-existent white head. Aroma is a mild sourness, not very inviting. Taste is extremely sour and tart with little discernable malt. Reminds me of Nerds or Sour patch kids. Not sure if that is what they were going for, but if it is they nailed it. Body is light to medium with somewhat high carbonation. Although this is a bit like sucking a lemon, it grew on me as I worked through it. Nevertheless, this is not my style and I will not be revisiting this beer for quite a while.

slk22, Nov 30, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

Pale cloudy gold color with a large white head which dissipates quickly. Smell is of tart peaches and yeast. The taste is also tart peaches and yeast, with a tart aftertaste. Light bodied, decent carbonation, dry, and fairly drinkable. I have really liked everything I have had from Dogfish Head until now, but this one doesn't really do it for me.

hardy008, Nov 29, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint mug.

Appearance is hazy golden yellow with no head or retention whatsoever. Smell hits with tart peach and yeasty barnyard notes. The taste is nicely sour and tart upfront, with the same yeasty barnyard flavor present in the smell following. The tartness fades slightly the more you drink leaving more of the berlinner weisee. Mild sweetness and a surpisingly clean aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation, works well enough with the style of beer and the season. Drinkability is great, especially in the summer. Very refreshing and low ABV. I could pound these all night.

Overall, this may not have been one of my favorite beers the first time I had it, but it has since become one of my go to summer seasonal staples. So refreashing on a warm day and reasonably priced.

Gosox8787, Nov 27, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

it's not that great tasting.... plain and simple

very light on everything. I expected a bit more flavor, whether in the malt or the peach. What I got was a cold beverage with some gentle peach flavor, carbonation, and a bit of heineken-like beer. Way to tart for my liking. Maybe it's just my palate but I didn't enjoy this brew one bit.

My least favorite brew from DFH

cleeze, Nov 25, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle courtesy of MDS- Thanks Mike! Decants hazy, cloudy yellow with a generous frothy white cap, with good sediment at the bottom of the glass.The aroma is heavily yeasty with sour lemons/limes and grapefruit and a barnyard/wet blanket sort of profile and a smidgen of apricot. The taste is full on tart yeasty peaches with white grapes, hay and a sour funk. Finishes astringent, puckering , bitter and tart, creamy yet dry. Low in alcohol and as a result, I could drink a lot of this. Excellent. Thanks Mike!

mrmanning, Nov 24, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: yellowish amber color, hazy, slim white head that dissipates quickly, minimal lacing

S: peaches and a sour note.

T: it has a sour tartness to it that has to mellow in your mouth before the peach sweet character comes through a bit. its highly carbonated, so the tart/sweet contrasts shine pretty well.

MF: light bodied, high carbonation.

Drinkability: its drinkable, but more of an acquired taste. not something i'd seek out.

porterwoobie, Nov 22, 2009
3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

I'm not really sure how to review this beer - it's my first of the style, and I think it's safe to say it may be the last. I'll try to put that aside though and review it based on the guidelines of the style...

To that end, it seems to fit the style to a tee. Super pale straw colored pour with a bubbly, carbonated-looking white head that recedes almost immediately and completely. No film, no crown, nothing.

Nose is sour. A bit of a white wine kind of scent - light fruits, I assume? Then comes the taste...wow, total sour bomb. I genuinely made that sour pucking expression made cliche from old Warhead wrappers. This was just too much for me. Through the sourness, I think I discerned light fruits - definitely peach, as the name suggests. Body is quite thin with fairly heavy carbonation.

If you can stand the sour, this is quite drinkable - if not, then you may end up with a drain pour. I'm trying my best to avoid doing that, but this beer is just too much for me... I kind of wish they had indicated on the label just exactly what this beer is all about. My first sip came as quite the shock.

Mavajo, Nov 22, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

Found a leftover 2009 Festina Peche! Poured into a pint glass. Didn't think to shake up the sediment, before I finished the pour so I got a very clear (almost macro lite) pale yellow color with a good inch of head. Smell is fruity and tart, like champagne.

Very refreshing first sip. Just finished a workout so definitely appreciated. The tart flavor is overwhelming the peach but truly delicious. There is a bit of a champagne taste/feel in there just like the smell. I really wish I had saved more of this for the winter! I have one more left so if it keeps well I will get a case or more next year to hold onto through the cooler months.

dborginis, Nov 16, 2009
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a cervoise.

Appearance: Effervescent off-white head drops to nothing in less than a minute. Amber/yellow body. Nice carbonation.

Smell: Peach and a little sour funk.

Taste: Cheek-puckering tartness. Peach comes through nicely and is a good pairing for the sour of the Berliner weissbier style. The wheat malt is only really noticeable in the aftertaste.

BierFan, Nov 12, 2009
1.38/5  rDev -62.2%

This beer is not what I like to drink. To me it's more a soda beverage with some beer added to it. Very tart and smells like rubber. Very thin head disappearing quickly. I couldn't finish the bottle. I don't think I will ever wish to try this beer again.

vidisad, Nov 09, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a pale yellow with a decent sized head that fizzes away quickly. Practically no lacing on the glass.

Aroma is wheaty and tart, but the combination is rather unpleasant. Smells kind of rubbery.

Luckily, this tastes better than it smells. Pretty big tart blast up front, with a wheaty finish. The tartness settles into that happy medium between too weak and off-putting. The finish is ridiculously dry.

Crisp and refreshing. Very, very dry finish. Pretty light body with an appropriate carbonation level. Easy drinker.

This would be a really nice beer if it didn't smell so bad. I don't understand it at all, because it didn't taste anything like it smelled. Oh well, I'd rather it smell funky but taste good than the other way around.

Gyle41386, Nov 08, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Yet another interesting creation from dogfish head. This beer may be lacking in color (looks like miller high life) and smell (literally has none), but in my opinion it has a great, refreshing taste to it. I'm shocked its only averaging a B. it has a great tart/sour feel for it that makes it almost close to a lambic or sour, this paired with a nice peach taste and great drinkability makes it an altogether very solid beer.

smuttanator, Nov 07, 2009
3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Very pale yellow color that is easily seen through. Very small head that dissipated almost immediately, not much lacing. The smell is very wheaty and citrusy. The taste is very sour lemony and peachy. It is very tarty and that overwhelms the beer. This is a decent beer but it is very unique. Very drinkable and a good buy during summer.

mjw2808, Nov 06, 2009