Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

The first of many new beers I will be trying tonight. Before I continue, a big thanks to kzoobrew for this extra. I feel I will be giving you quite a few shout outs tonight as I do my own tasting tonight to keep myself entertained while my fiancée is out of town! Cheers buddy!

Appearance - Pours, cliché I know, a hazy peach color with loads of carbonation bubbling all over the glass. About a finger of white head that honestly dissolves before my eyes within a minute of pouring. As I am typing there is zero head and I don't even know if I can call what is on the sides of the glass lacing to be honest.

Smell - A nice biting scent - begins with a bit of tart fruit and gives way to wheat and slight sweet malts.

Taste - Whoa, not what I was expecting at all from the nose. A very tart/sour peach flavor bursts forward at first but is almost immediately drowned out by the malty backbone but oddly enough this is also just a flash because the taste ends with my mouth still being puckered. It is a very different taste, I will say that. I don't think I have ever had a beer that has made me puckered in this way. I've had plenty of sours but none that tasted anything like this (yes I know this is not in the AWA or Sour category but just comparing the similar puckering/odd-tasting factor).

Mouthfeel - Very light bodied - almost watery. Also, there was a burst of carbonation when I poured the beer but later on now, there is literally none. Not sure if this is how it is suppose to be, but it leaves the beer with zero lacing and almost no carbonation. It honestly feels like I am drinking a "sour mix" with some alcohol in it.

Drinkability - For as tart as this is, I don't think I could drink more than one or two of these at a given time. Now that I am typing this out, I know what this reminds me of taste wise. Growing up for some odd reason I use to steal the lemon juice from our fridge and try to concoct "lemonade" with it by adding sugar. It never turned out right and you would always drink nine tenths of the water/sugar/lemon juice mixture before getting any sweetness. Hence, for most of the time you were drinking bitter tasting water. That is what this beer tastes like. It reminds me of lemon juice and a hint of peach flavor added to it. That is the puckering effect I am remembering...from when I was a child making that drink. I am glad I was able to try this beer, but I would probably not seek it out in the future. An interesting experience indeed.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Pours a watery light gold, with a white head that stays for some time, leaves no lace.

S - Pretty sour, but no real funk - just tart. Hard to pin down exactly which fruit comes through the strongest, but definitely a citrus blend (lemon, lime) and peach, probably more of the latter.

T - Not nearly as sour as I remember when I had this on tap some months ago, but still pretty tart. Peaches, lime, and a bit of salt.

M - Very light, even a little watery. Could do with a bit more of a backbone.

D - Pretty sessionable for the style, would be great during the summer heat.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Pale light orange ( i might even say peach?), foamy on the pour but the bubbles fizzle out pretty quickly.

S: Obviously, delicious juicy peach, with a bit of sour apple and lemon. Something sweet in there, too... a very light hint of carmel.

T: Powerful but tasty tart and sour peach and apple notes on the first impression. These tart/sour flavors are a much stronger component of the taste than the smell. Sweeter peach hides behind that, lingering on almost a different level of the palate. Lemony sourness at the end.

M: Very light on the palate, fairly smooth coming in. The mouthfeel is affected very strongly by the tart flavor, hitting the roof of the mouth and sticking there. A surprising kick of carbonation on the back of the tongue hides beneath the beer's foamless still appearance.

D: The taste is light and fresh, so its definitely a good summer beer. However, the sour flavor lingers in the mouth and I'm not sure I would be able to drink this for an extended period of time or number of beers. It would be great with a light and fresh summer meal to balance out the strong accents of the beer.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Straw colored, diluted lemonade. Head dissipated quickly, leaving a thin ring around against the glass.

S: Lemongrass, wheat, and tart cherries.

T: Potato bread, lemon, straw, dry biscuit.

M: Medium carbonation, finishes very cleanly, leaving a hint of tart cherry on the back and sides of the tongue.

D: I love this style, and I think that this is one of the smoothest I have had. The peach gives it just enough sweetness. This would go great with just about any meal.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Though this beer is an odd choice with the cold winds blowing tonight, i can pretend it's summer can't i?

Poured from a 12oz. bottled, bottled in: 2009 C 2 (whatever that means).

Appearance: Pours a pale ginger ale color with a slight shade of orange/tan. A slightly tilted white head, easily 3 fingers, that dissipates in a couple if minutes. Lots and lots of tiny bubbles almost make it hard to see through the glass.

Smell: Like sticking my nose in a bag of peaches. Fresh, fuzzy peach with a touch of tartness.

Taste: Wow, tartness hits hard! Not mouth puckering but it's certainly different for sure. Getting a little peach but no sweetness here though. Has a lemon/lime soda feel to it a little. A nice wheat taste rounds things off.

Mouthfeel: Despite the massive carbonation that i observed in the glass, it's actually quite smooth and subdued carbonation-wise. Lively in the palate though it does take some getting used to.

Drinkability: Yes but i think it's not an everyday purchase. I can drink a glass though it is just a tiny bit harder.

Overall: It's not a style i'm overly familiar with and must admit to being taken aback just a little bit but i believe it's grown on me. Though unique, it would probably benefit better from warmer weather.

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours very clear pale yellow with almost no carbonation at all. Just slightly hazy, otherwise it looks like any pilser or macro. The smell is very non-sescript, maybe a hint of malt, thats about it. The taste is mouth puckering sour. Wow, its like chewing on a fresh lime. refreshing, but so sour. It reminds me of over-strong lemonade.

3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a pale yellow, big head 2 fingers or more, fades to a very nice layer... Wonderful lacing !!

S: OK aroma is wheaty, tart and sour. Sorry, it does not smell good....

T: Good news is it tastes better than it smells. There is a blast of tartness right up front, then settles with a subtle peach flavor, finishing with a dry wheaty note. Strange but not bad.

M: Very crisp and refreshing. Light bodied, low carbonation, easy drinking.... Again the finish is very dry.

D: This is a great summer brew.... The bad thing the beer just smell bad.... But overall taste and feel of the beer is good.

Hey I say give it a try...

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass. First beer of the new year!

Appearance: light golden yellow color with a little haze thrown into the works. One finger of quickly-dissipating fizzy head.

Smell: light malt aroma with a hint of peach. Pretty good, but a little on the subtle side.

Taste: very interesting. It reminds me most of champagne; it's truly got a good fermented-fruit flavor. That this fruit is peach is not as readily apparent on the tongue as in the nose. There is a nice tartness to it; again, this reminds me of brut champagne. This is one of the most original beers I've tasted.

Mouthfeel: medium body with relatively low carbonation. It works for the style, although with the champagne flavor it would be interesting to have more in the way of bubbles.

Drinkability: this is quite a drinkable beer. I feel like it would be out of place neither at a fashionable soirée nor a barbecue. Good stuff!

I really enjoy this beer. It is far from the norm, even in the world of American craft, and quite well-done.

Also, I am not a fan of the 2010 version. This review is of the old version.

A - Pale, cloudy yellow, big head that quickly subsides, with no retention.

S - Smells like radler / shandy, chardonnay, lemon, peach and wheat. Obvious lactic.

T - Very dry and sour, with the ghost of a wheat sweetness, but not the wheat sweetness itself. Definitely a lot in common, taste-wise, with chardonnay. Small fruit flavor, but very subtle. No hops detected, whatsoever. A very unusual tasting beer. A nice take on the style.

M - Clean and fresh and refreshing. Tart, dry finish. Moderate carbonation.

D - Edit: The new version (2010) sucks. Not sour, it is a peach fruit beer. Booo. Hiss. Pppbbbfff. I give it the Bronx Cheer.

2.3/5  rDev -37%

Festina Pêche is a hazy blonde color with a half inch head that had very little retention. The aroma is mildly citrus. The beer tastes like some kind of lemon tonic water, not sweet and only moderately bitter. I can smell a little of the peach, but I can't taste any of it. The feel is light bodied with little carbonation. Drinkability is not good.

Apparently Festina Pêche is fairly true to style, and the style is not for me. I am hoping for some improvement after it warms up, but I hope in vain. Just plain bad.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured a light straw yellow with a light white head and a tiny amount of lacing

Smelled pretty sour, with some peach and wheat aromas coming through mainly

Tasted sour off the first taste, slowly tasting of sour peaches and a nice wheat body on it. Slightly watery, as most wheat beers seem to taste, but a great light beer. I think this could be very drinkable if it were not for the hefty price tag. Nice and refreshing in the end.

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Appearance is creamy orange, with moderate light colored head.

First sniff is interesting, smells hoppy and fruity, no noticeable wheat or malt smell.

Taste starts of pretty solid peach notes followed by sour and dry, but after that nothing really. Lacking in hop, wheat and malt flavor. Finish is quick and dry, nothing to savor.
Carbonation is nice in the mouthfeel, and it is fairly refreshing.

Overall and interesting beer, Im glad I tried, probably won't purchase again.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

From Notes:

A - A hazy light orange in color, with a white head that did not last long.

S - A slight sour peach, with a small whiff of wheat .

T - A sour peach flavor, with a small bit of wheat crackers behind all that twang. This is a mouth pucker sucker.

M - A lively biting carbonation, that makes this beer light and airy.

D - This one was too twangy for me to put down more then one at a time, I like sour beers, but this one is a little hard to drink imo.

2010 update
A less sour, and watery 2010 Festina Peche recieves a new score of 3.0 across the board, DFH will once again tweek this brew in 2011.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Finally found a 4 pack after searching for a while, and unique is the best way to describe this beer.

Appearance - clear hazy color of yellow and wheat. Head goes away fast and you can tell off the bat its going to be carbonated.

Smell - very sweet aroma, however its more of overall fruit versus peach. Something at the time I couldn't place was the smell of sweetness which I'm not attributing to the malts.

Taste - Unexpected. It reminds me of a pale ale in many ways but the peach is what throws me for a loop. It's not an apparent taste but more in the after taste and the malts are very powerful. As with many of Dogfish's beers, it very complex. The first taste is sweet that of natural sugar but then smoothes out into the malt. Only problem is that sweetness becomes overpowering with time.

Mouthfeel - Highly carbonated and oddly enough the beer is tending to stick to the roof of my mouth. It gives the impression I've eaten fruit and of course this is due to the peach.

Drinkability - You know I love peach, one of my favorite flavors but this beer is so complex and just entirely different that I'm torn. I am impressed in its complexity and characteristics however it needs to be sipped and then should be paired with food to help deal with the sugar. I would say you need heavy chocolate to compliment it. Bottom line is its a great beer but not one to have over and over again.

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had as homebrew club commercial example.

A - Poured yellow with 2 fingers of white head. Light carbonation, which dissipated moderately fast. Left no lacing.

S/T - Wheat, peach, honey, fruity esters, and a slight sourness. Pretty good.

M - Light to moderate in body, malt dominated, sweet, and finished dry.

D - Great, wonderful overall. A really good beer for the berliner style.

2.93/5  rDev -19.7%

Tasting Notes: Stored in the fridge and served in a goblet.

Aroma: Light aroma overall with light to medium wheat notes (somewhat bready). Very light fruity sweetness.

Appearance: Light gold/straw color. Slight off-white head that quickly dissipates with no trail. Clear with some haze (few tiny bubbles visible).

Flavor: Tart fruitiness up front (prominent) with no noticeable hop character. Slight sweetness with a light wheat character in back. Some dryness at finish.

Mouthfeel: Light body with high carbonation that gives a champagne-like crispness. Some creaminess (oddly considering other characteristics).

Overall Impressions: Certainly works well for warm weather and is better very cold. Very champagne-like to drink. OK beer, but I have no need to buy it again (simply not my preference).

3.98/5  rDev +9%

A: Pours a cloudy, light yellow-white color. Small head quickly dissipates to almost literally nothing. Looks a little like a sparkling juice.

S: Sweet and syrupy peaches, similar to what canned peaches smell like. Also hints of citrus, apples, and yeast.

T: Whoa! Wasn't expecting so much sour. I'm diggin' it though. Starts off sweet - I get more apple juice than peach. Also some white grapes. Taste quickly turns sour, pinching the sides of your tongue and making you want to pucker after each sip. Sour green apples and lemon. The finish really smacks your taste buds around! Upon close inspection, this brew also reminds me a lot of a white wine. I like sour brews, so I enjoyed this.

M: Fairly light bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Again, similar to white wine in this respect.

D: A tasty, tart brew. This reminded me a bit of a tart Cantillon Gueuze (but not at that level of quality). If you don't like sour tasting things, this one probably won't be for you. If you do like them, however, I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy this. This is the first "Berliner Weissbier" I've had, but based on the description this seems to be true to style. I'm going to try to find more beers in this style now, especially in the summer!

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

A - Hazy light yellow with a little bit of white head at first that went away immediately.

S - Similar to chardonnay. Some acidity and of course peaches. Some tartness as well. All good aromas for a berliner weiss.

T - More chardonnay flavors, some tartness up front with some crackers in back from the wheat. Obviously, there are some peach flavors in here as well. Very nicely balanced.

M - A nice biting carbonation that gives it a light airy body. Almost like a champagne.

D - Good, goes down smoothly. Reminds me sort of a champagne. Tartness is very refreshing.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Hazed pale blonde with a fine, lean white head that leaves blobs of sliding lace on the glass. The smell is super concentrated peach with a wisp of wheat malt. Tart and acidic, mouth puckering lemon juice and a touch of peach to take the edge off, not my favorite but the flavors fit the style definition to a tee. Light bodied and super carbonated. This beer is for people who like extremely bitter flavors with little to no sweetness to balance.

2.7/5  rDev -26%

Color is a pale yellow with an almost non-existent white head. Aroma is a mild sourness, not very inviting. Taste is extremely sour and tart with little discernable malt. Reminds me of Nerds or Sour patch kids. Not sure if that is what they were going for, but if it is they nailed it. Body is light to medium with somewhat high carbonation. Although this is a bit like sucking a lemon, it grew on me as I worked through it. Nevertheless, this is not my style and I will not be revisiting this beer for quite a while.

2.68/5  rDev -26.6%

Pale cloudy gold color with a large white head which dissipates quickly. Smell is of tart peaches and yeast. The taste is also tart peaches and yeast, with a tart aftertaste. Light bodied, decent carbonation, dry, and fairly drinkable. I have really liked everything I have had from Dogfish Head until now, but this one doesn't really do it for me.

4.45/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint mug.

Appearance is hazy golden yellow with no head or retention whatsoever. Smell hits with tart peach and yeasty barnyard notes. The taste is nicely sour and tart upfront, with the same yeasty barnyard flavor present in the smell following. The tartness fades slightly the more you drink leaving more of the berlinner weisee. Mild sweetness and a surpisingly clean aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light with moderate carbonation, works well enough with the style of beer and the season. Drinkability is great, especially in the summer. Very refreshing and low ABV. I could pound these all night.

Overall, this may not have been one of my favorite beers the first time I had it, but it has since become one of my go to summer seasonal staples. So refreashing on a warm day and reasonably priced.

2.4/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

it's not that great tasting.... plain and simple

very light on everything. I expected a bit more flavor, whether in the malt or the peach. What I got was a cold beverage with some gentle peach flavor, carbonation, and a bit of heineken-like beer. Way to tart for my liking. Maybe it's just my palate but I didn't enjoy this brew one bit.

My least favorite brew from DFH

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle courtesy of MDS- Thanks Mike! Decants hazy, cloudy yellow with a generous frothy white cap, with good sediment at the bottom of the glass.The aroma is heavily yeasty with sour lemons/limes and grapefruit and a barnyard/wet blanket sort of profile and a smidgen of apricot. The taste is full on tart yeasty peaches with white grapes, hay and a sour funk. Finishes astringent, puckering , bitter and tart, creamy yet dry. Low in alcohol and as a result, I could drink a lot of this. Excellent. Thanks Mike!

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

12oz bottle, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: yellowish amber color, hazy, slim white head that dissipates quickly, minimal lacing

S: peaches and a sour note.

T: it has a sour tartness to it that has to mellow in your mouth before the peach sweet character comes through a bit. its highly carbonated, so the tart/sweet contrasts shine pretty well.

MF: light bodied, high carbonation.

Drinkability: its drinkable, but more of an acquired taste. not something i'd seek out.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery