Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

The first sunny days of spring made me crave a nice summer beer.
The local beer store was still full of porters, stouts ,barley wines, barrel aged this and that , but nothing to quench the thirst for summer. My favorite summer beer is the apricot IPA by dog fish head, but of corse it's not available, yet. Actually there's a snow storm in Denver and here in Portland there is hardly any Dog Fish head beer at all. Then there it was setting there all by it's lonesome the Festina Peche, just screaming summer. It was exactly what I was looking for, just perfect for a sunny afternoon.

Color and appearance: The color was a light straw yellow with a little cloud of yeast, topped with a light dissipating foam.

Mouthfeel: light and crisp, pallet cleansing.

Aroma: Loads of citrus, tangerine and meyer lemon, with a subtle floral peach background, and light yeast aroma.

Taste: nice and tart with a dash of sour, lots of citrus, with a light peach essence.

Glass used: A wide mouth goblet

Pairings: sunshine, paella, sushi, and grilled poultry.

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Extremely pale yellow pour. Ugly color - way too macro looking. Audibly fizzy beer. Active 1-finger head, but quickly dissipates and leaves nothing behind. No lacing.

Nose is more lemon that peach. Perhaps not yet ripe peaches.

Very sour beer. More sour than tart, but tart is there toward the end and really comes out in the finish. Very puckering. If you like sour, you'll love this one.

Body is very light, but that's expected with the style.

Overall, I think they hit their mark. I'm just left to wonder why?

3.57/5  rDev -2.2%

Wow. This beer was not what I was expecting.

A - Pours a pale, straw color that looked like water when it was pouring out of the bottle. Not attractive at all.

S - Ok smell. Lot of malt present. Also pick up a hint (albeit just a trace) of floral and peaches.

T - It hits your tastebuds like an anvil. Very, very sour taste. Almost like drinking a lemon zest. Being from the south, I like my peach flavor overly sweet, this isn't what I was expecting in this beer.

M - Biting sensation on the toungue as the sourness of the beer hits. But it does away toward the end of the beer and the beer starts sweeting up.

D - Not much drinkability here. It's ok for what it is (a sour), but I wouldn't sit down and drink a sixer of this or anything.

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a hazy yellow with a nice white head that hangs around for a little while.

Smells of sweet wheat with a little kiss of peach.

This is actually a lot more tart that I would ahve guessed. It's not quite lambic or sour level, but it;s up there. The peach lends essence more than sweetness.

Light but not watery in the mouth. Nice carbonation.

Fairly drinkable and refreshing, but not really something I will seek out.

3.87/5  rDev +6%

Reviewed from notes.

One finger white froth dissipates rather quickly. The brew is transparent straw. Fruity esters and a sour green apple are emphasized on the nose. There's also a hint of wet hay or straw, but just a hint. Flavors are tart tart tart! This is true to the style descriptions. The sour notes aren't distinctly peach, though I am partial to sweet, ripe peaches and long for that flavor instead. It's pretty overwhelming, which is wonderful for a sour lover like me. Not much of a taste for hops, but that also appears to be true to the style. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, and the sour notes pull at my taste buds.

This brew is like a hybrid of a cider and a wild ale. It's sour, and then sweet, and of course back to sour again. Very tasty, but I definitely couldn't have more than one in a single sitting.

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%

Pour from a bottle stamped 2009 into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A- Thick, foamy, 1.5 finger head that dissipated into a few minutes into a lacy coating. Very light lacing that didn't linger. Very cloudy, unique orange/pink color (coral?)

S- Tart citrus- more to the lemony side

T- TART!! Bitter apple, sour lemon.

M- Foam/Fizzy, fuller side of light, vibrant

D- HOT HOT HOT weather malt beverage- you need to be overheated and sweaty to really enjoy this thirst quencher. It's perfect for those conditions, but certainly not an everyday brew.

3.64/5  rDev -0.3%

Acidic, faintly flavored, pale beer.

Utterly without a hint of sweetness, and very lemony-tart. Pleasing flavor if you like a sharp edge. Low viscosity, thin, and crisp in the mouth. From past tastings I seem to remember some fruit aroma, but I don't get any fruit except the tartness that makes me think of lemons.

A good drink for the right mood. I'm trying this one after a session in the salt water, but it has taken me six weeks to drink three out of the four pack.

3.96/5  rDev +8.5%

This is probably one of 2 DFH beers I actually like. Most of their stuff is just too much for me.

Pours a cloudy grain color. Light wheat lookin color. No head and no lacing.

Aroma is probably my favorite thing. Fruity and tart aroma.

Taste is good. Nice and tart and with a good wheat malt backbone. Refreshing and easy to drink. I can't really taste peaches.

Mouthfeel is a little too viscous for the style IMO. Needs a little more carb too.

Overall I will probably buy this again. A solid Berliner that deserves a try.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into a pint. I had this a long time ago during my formative craft beers months. I liked it a lot back then and I'm curious to see if I'll like it more or less now. Thanks go out to Mudpuppet for this one.

3.5 A: Cloudy dark yellow color. I wasn't expecting a great head, but the one finger of fizzy white fell in a matter of seconds.

3.5 S: Decent amount of muskiness, with tart peach, and a soft wheat background. Not bad, just really weak.

4.0 T: At first sip, the lactic acid really comes through. Over time, the lactic acid bite mellows but a peachy tartness persists. Slight fruitiness, but mostly dry.

4.0 M: Light body and spritzy carbonation work well. I'm usually not a fan of light bodies, but it works well in this brew.

4.0 D: Overall this is a pretty simple brew, but it isn't half bad and quite refreshing though one might be enough.

4.39/5  rDev +20.3%

12 oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A - Pours a very pale yellow with a small head that fades to a cap. Lacing is minimal.

S - Fruity sour peach notes mixed with biscuit malt smells.

T - Very tasty yet slightly sour. The peach flavor is not overpowering and the wheat mixes very well overall. There is no bitterness whatsoever to this beer.

M - Very tart and crisp with a great level of carbonation.

D - Excellent drinkability. This is a very refreshing and easy going beer. I just tried this for the first time recently, but I can say with certainty that this will be a frequent go to beer for the hot Southern California months ahead.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a cloudy, dirty yellow with a skim of white head and some floaters. Looks like you poured a flat macro in a dirty glass. I don't judge by appearance at all, but in this case, it is ugly. There are alot of carbonation bubbles rising in this one, which helps in this category.

Immediate sour note, but nothing spoiled or vinegar-like. Some tart fruit in the aroma and light grain and yeast as well.

Instant tart flavor, but in a good way. Prickly carbonation clears the palate (almost a seltzer-like element, leading to light tart fruit, yeast, like malt, and a clean, dry finish. The hell with the peach element -- I dug this for being very clean and very very different.

A moderate body with good carbonation. Not watery at all, but at the same time light and refreshing.

Overall, very very easy drinking. People who only like one style, or are new to craft beer will not be shocked and appalled by this -- it is beer-like, but the sour note will throw them off. Worth trying this one if new to the style.

1.98/5  rDev -45.8%

Well, they can't all be winners. My wife picked this out thinking a fruit beer would be a nice thing to try, and we fuckin' hated it. It's a pretty dark gold color with lots of carbonation. The aroma has a bit of peach with lots of hops. The taste is godawful, it stings and is super sour. I almost couldn't swallow it because it was so bad, and it left an awful aftertaste. Three sips was enough before it went down the drain. Absolutely never again with this one.

4.06/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a small pils glass.

Pours an exceedingly pale hazy straw color with just a skim of a head, but it's kept alive with a steady dose of vigorous fizzy carbonation. No lacing.

Very nice nose- tart peach fruitiness, some tangy wheat and yeast. A bit of floral sweetness in the background, but quite tangy overall. Can't wait to give this a try.

Tart green apple and lemon shock the tongue at first, but slighlty sweeter peach soon arrives, followed by some husky light grains and snappy wheat. Medium bodied with very active carbonation that cleans the palate with ease. Dries out substantially at the finish, but the tartness never overwhelms.

Tasty and extremely refreshing beer here. I'd love to see more American brewers give this style a chance.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

One of my favorite breweries DogFish Head rarely lets me down. Poured a hazy orange thick looking color. Smell was subdued peaches that weren't fake like out of a can with a slight sour note. Taste was clean, peachy, not overwhelming but not very complex. The wheat showed through as well as a little yeast with a tart finish. Not bad and possibly my first for this style.

4.21/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a slightly hazy straw golden color, very large white head but fades at a fast rate, no lacing.

Smell is mostly sweet malt with a bit of a grassy presence, peach fruit is present but not overwhelming.

Taste is surprisingly tart and sour, carbonation is on the high side and would have been nicer if it were softer, the sourness really tickles the sides of the mouth, slightly dry finish, the peach isn't as present as it was in the aroma since there seems to be more of a fruity citrus aspect.

My first time drinking the Berliner Weissbier style, not quite what I was expecting, although DFH rarely does what one expects.

3.37/5  rDev -7.7%

i don't know why advocate is asking me where i had this at? on my buddies couch while watching 'dune' (don't judge me!)
pours a very light hazed straw color with a very quickly dissipating, film like head. A lot of white wine (sauv. blanc) like aromas, with light peach, sweet yeast, and apples. taste is really really tart. whew. lemon juice, green apples, faint peach. some cider qualities. very interesting. champagne carbonation mouthfeel. A little too tart for me right now, but i could drink 'em on new years as a champagne sub.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured a golden wheat yellow color with a frothy white head. Decent retention. Smell was earthy then strong citrusy, lemon and very bitter peach. Taste was similar, light wheat then moving to strong citrusy taste, almost like biting into a lemon. Not a particularly balanced beer IMO, not bad but not my style.

4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

Poured from a growler filled on 2/12, poured on 2/14

Appearance: Pours an almost crystal clear orange yellowish color with a nice foamy pure white head. Very little lacing and the head recededs moderately fast but leaves a nice ring on the glass. Very carbonated and great looking.

Smell: Smells a bit different, almost like budweiser. Corn, ethanol and a bit of grain husks come through. Very muted though and a bit macro like and dull.

Taste: Tastes very very interesting. Bitter citrus, kumquat, lime zest and a mango bitterness come through predominately. There is a medium bodied orange flavor. Very interesting and refreshing. Light body overall, but good flavors come through.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, but silky smooth despite the bitterness. Great mouthfeel.

Drinkability: this would be a great go to in the summer. Its refreshing and light with a touch of sweetness that grows after a few sips. Nice.

A) 4.5
S) 2.5
T) 3.5
M) 4
D) 4

***Review on 6/22/10***

Realized that my previous review was way out of season. Got a fresh 4pack and quickly changed my mind.

Appearance: Not sure why i rated the appearance so high. I find an orange yellow hazy color with crappy head retention due to the style. Fizzy at first and then totally flat after a minute.

Smell: This has a a great kumquat, orange peel type of sourness to the aroma that is very distinct. Some sour peach, with a bit of bitter cherry also. Highly aromatic.

Taste: Taste also went up because its fresh now and has bright vibrant flavors of sour peach, nectarine, mango, orange peel and a lemon acidity to it that is balanced by the malt that is ever so slight. Great summer brew and very very fresh tasting.

Drinkability: raise the drinkability also because this was so refreshing and the abv is nice and low yet it packs so much flavor. easlily went through the 4 pack.

3.32/5  rDev -9%

The first of many new beers I will be trying tonight. Before I continue, a big thanks to kzoobrew for this extra. I feel I will be giving you quite a few shout outs tonight as I do my own tasting tonight to keep myself entertained while my fiancée is out of town! Cheers buddy!

Appearance - Pours, cliché I know, a hazy peach color with loads of carbonation bubbling all over the glass. About a finger of white head that honestly dissolves before my eyes within a minute of pouring. As I am typing there is zero head and I don't even know if I can call what is on the sides of the glass lacing to be honest.

Smell - A nice biting scent - begins with a bit of tart fruit and gives way to wheat and slight sweet malts.

Taste - Whoa, not what I was expecting at all from the nose. A very tart/sour peach flavor bursts forward at first but is almost immediately drowned out by the malty backbone but oddly enough this is also just a flash because the taste ends with my mouth still being puckered. It is a very different taste, I will say that. I don't think I have ever had a beer that has made me puckered in this way. I've had plenty of sours but none that tasted anything like this (yes I know this is not in the AWA or Sour category but just comparing the similar puckering/odd-tasting factor).

Mouthfeel - Very light bodied - almost watery. Also, there was a burst of carbonation when I poured the beer but later on now, there is literally none. Not sure if this is how it is suppose to be, but it leaves the beer with zero lacing and almost no carbonation. It honestly feels like I am drinking a "sour mix" with some alcohol in it.

Drinkability - For as tart as this is, I don't think I could drink more than one or two of these at a given time. Now that I am typing this out, I know what this reminds me of taste wise. Growing up for some odd reason I use to steal the lemon juice from our fridge and try to concoct "lemonade" with it by adding sugar. It never turned out right and you would always drink nine tenths of the water/sugar/lemon juice mixture before getting any sweetness. Hence, for most of the time you were drinking bitter tasting water. That is what this beer tastes like. It reminds me of lemon juice and a hint of peach flavor added to it. That is the puckering effect I am remembering...from when I was a child making that drink. I am glad I was able to try this beer, but I would probably not seek it out in the future. An interesting experience indeed.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

A - Pours a watery light gold, with a white head that stays for some time, leaves no lace.

S - Pretty sour, but no real funk - just tart. Hard to pin down exactly which fruit comes through the strongest, but definitely a citrus blend (lemon, lime) and peach, probably more of the latter.

T - Not nearly as sour as I remember when I had this on tap some months ago, but still pretty tart. Peaches, lime, and a bit of salt.

M - Very light, even a little watery. Could do with a bit more of a backbone.

D - Pretty sessionable for the style, would be great during the summer heat.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Pale light orange ( i might even say peach?), foamy on the pour but the bubbles fizzle out pretty quickly.

S: Obviously, delicious juicy peach, with a bit of sour apple and lemon. Something sweet in there, too... a very light hint of carmel.

T: Powerful but tasty tart and sour peach and apple notes on the first impression. These tart/sour flavors are a much stronger component of the taste than the smell. Sweeter peach hides behind that, lingering on almost a different level of the palate. Lemony sourness at the end.

M: Very light on the palate, fairly smooth coming in. The mouthfeel is affected very strongly by the tart flavor, hitting the roof of the mouth and sticking there. A surprising kick of carbonation on the back of the tongue hides beneath the beer's foamless still appearance.

D: The taste is light and fresh, so its definitely a good summer beer. However, the sour flavor lingers in the mouth and I'm not sure I would be able to drink this for an extended period of time or number of beers. It would be great with a light and fresh summer meal to balance out the strong accents of the beer.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

A: Straw colored, diluted lemonade. Head dissipated quickly, leaving a thin ring around against the glass.

S: Lemongrass, wheat, and tart cherries.

T: Potato bread, lemon, straw, dry biscuit.

M: Medium carbonation, finishes very cleanly, leaving a hint of tart cherry on the back and sides of the tongue.

D: I love this style, and I think that this is one of the smoothest I have had. The peach gives it just enough sweetness. This would go great with just about any meal.

3.77/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Though this beer is an odd choice with the cold winds blowing tonight, i can pretend it's summer can't i?

Poured from a 12oz. bottled, bottled in: 2009 C 2 (whatever that means).

Appearance: Pours a pale ginger ale color with a slight shade of orange/tan. A slightly tilted white head, easily 3 fingers, that dissipates in a couple if minutes. Lots and lots of tiny bubbles almost make it hard to see through the glass.

Smell: Like sticking my nose in a bag of peaches. Fresh, fuzzy peach with a touch of tartness.

Taste: Wow, tartness hits hard! Not mouth puckering but it's certainly different for sure. Getting a little peach but no sweetness here though. Has a lemon/lime soda feel to it a little. A nice wheat taste rounds things off.

Mouthfeel: Despite the massive carbonation that i observed in the glass, it's actually quite smooth and subdued carbonation-wise. Lively in the palate though it does take some getting used to.

Drinkability: Yes but i think it's not an everyday purchase. I can drink a glass though it is just a tiny bit harder.

Overall: It's not a style i'm overly familiar with and must admit to being taken aback just a little bit but i believe it's grown on me. Though unique, it would probably benefit better from warmer weather.

3.31/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours very clear pale yellow with almost no carbonation at all. Just slightly hazy, otherwise it looks like any pilser or macro. The smell is very non-sescript, maybe a hint of malt, thats about it. The taste is mouth puckering sour. Wow, its like chewing on a fresh lime. refreshing, but so sour. It reminds me of over-strong lemonade.

3.07/5  rDev -15.9%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pours a pale yellow, big head 2 fingers or more, fades to a very nice layer... Wonderful lacing !!

S: OK aroma is wheaty, tart and sour. Sorry, it does not smell good....

T: Good news is it tastes better than it smells. There is a blast of tartness right up front, then settles with a subtle peach flavor, finishing with a dry wheaty note. Strange but not bad.

M: Very crisp and refreshing. Light bodied, low carbonation, easy drinking.... Again the finish is very dry.

D: This is a great summer brew.... The bad thing the beer just smell bad.... But overall taste and feel of the beer is good.

Hey I say give it a try...

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery