Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: dherling on 02-26-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
3.89/5  rDev +6.6%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale and very hazy yellow-white color. Very much like a wit-bier, but without the head. There's a bit of a white film at first, but this quickly disappears.

Smell: Definite peach aroma, with some hints of wheat or yeast, lemon, and some tartness and sourness.

Taste: Definitely captures the tart end of a peach's flavor. There's a fair amount of yeast in there too, and some lemon and sourness into the finish and aftertaste. Pretty refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Lots of carbonation, but it is very light. Generally light bodied, and pretty smooth.

Drinkability: Low ABV, flavor is good.

This is the first time I've had a beer of this style. It is nice and pretty refreshing. Very fruity, but it works here, unlike some beers (outside of the usual lambics and Unibroue offerings). While it isn't so much my thing (though I might get it again), I'd definitely recommend it to others who are curious.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

I picked this beer up at bootleggers in Thopsham, Me. I had tried it last year but never reviewed. I am getting the chance now.

This is a really nice brew it tastes of tangy peach with a yellow hazy appearance. The taste and smell was what was to be expected from this style of beer tart and crisp with this you get a tast of peach as well.

The mouth feel gives you a tart feeling and the drinkability is high for those hot summer days.

I really liked this and it's okay when someone might not. I feel its worth having and it a great representation of the style.

Dogfish Head Festina Peche poured a hazy color, with a small head that disapated quickly. It smelt and tasted very much the same, tart, and very peachy. There were no beer flavors, it was like drinking peach juice. I couldnt finish one. If you LOVE peaches you will probailly enjoy this beer, however if you do not LOVE peaches, its not very good.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Served in a DFH goblet styled glass (really very cool looking, I think I might accidentally steal it) reviewed at a pub on iPhone-- please forgive the terse/ concise review.

very pale straw colored yellow... Hazy brew with a nice white cap of foamy white bubbles. Very limited lacing.

Smells of grassy lemony fruitiness-- peaches and green apples. This actually smells slightly acidic... Like dilluted vinegar.

Taste is lemons, grassy or floral freshness
and if course, peaches... Very pleasant. It blends nicely with the sour finish.

Could use a bit more carbonation in my opinion... But the body is light enough that it works as it is.

Overall-- a very pleasant and easy drinking beer. No real flaws that prevent me from ordering a 2nd glass.

2.4/5  rDev -34.2%

From pint glass. Poured out a hazy, light golden color, with a slight fizziness (no head) that abruptly died off. There is a citrusy aroma and a very subtle hint of peach that could very well go unnoticed. To me, this beer was reminiscent of a Shandy or a Radler. It tastes like a very light wheat beer with a little lemonade concentrate mixed in. I was looking foward to a nice summer replacement for my beloved Aprihop, but to no avail. I can see how this beer can be slammed back on a hot summer day, but so can Michelob Ultra Lime, for the same reasons. Just not what I was expecting from Dogfish Head.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Pours a slightly hazy, very pale golden/yellow with a minimal head that quickly drops down, leaving no cap behind. Little to no lacing.

S - Mellow wheat aromas as well as some tart, fruity undertones.

T - Tartness up front, leading into some sweet, juicy peach flavors. A touch of wheat flavor comes through as well. Finish is very clean and quite dry, lingering into a slightly tart, peachy aftertaste. The tartness in this beer is very well done. It stands out without being overdone and blends very well with the nice peach flavors.

M - Light bodied with a lively carbonation. Seems to fit the style well.

D - Not a style I am familiar with at all, but I really enjoyed this brew. Interesting flavors and I really like the level of tartness in this one. Refreshing, would be great for a hot day.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

pours a hazy golden with a quick-lived white head that leaves no lacing on the glass.

smells of peaches, but I don't know if I would have been able to place that without knowing it beforehand. plenty of tartness, lemony citrus, yeast, wheat, and a bit of white bread.

starts of tart and sour (think sour warheads or lemon drops candies) with an underlying sweetness. lemony and yeasty up next, with some slight bready sweetness until a bit more tartness comes through on the back end.

feels like half juice and half soda in the mouth. a bit watery, but with a bit of prickly carbonation.

goes down rather well. not quite sour, not quite sweet, not quite malty, not quite hoppy, but overall, not bad either.

2.82/5  rDev -22.7%

This was not what I was expecting overall. First time trying this beer style. Poured cloudy copper orange. Half a finger of head with short lived white foamy head. Aroma of weat, grassy barn yard, wet hay, and some fruit. Starts off bubbly in the tip of the tongue exploding into a sour mash party. I wasn't expecting the sour taiste but it lended to the fruity tones but no peach. Similar to bad pineapple. Interesting. Overall.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours an almost pale, straw yellow color, with an impressive couple inches of dense white foam on top. Aromas of white peaches, chardonnay and lactic sourness. There is a slight sourness on the palate, with some wheat, some sweetness, apples and peaches. Alright, but nothing earth-shattering going on here.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a hazy golden color with a thinnish bubbly white head that disappears almost instantly. Staring into the glass this reminds me of apple cider. Smells of light sweet malts, tart and sour fruit and juicy peaches. Sweet fruits appear at first sip then fade quickly. Taste is a bit tart with the lactic piercing the tongue with lemons. Sweet and tart in the mouth, medium carbonation and body. Light highly quaffable brew. I could see myself enjoying these on a hot day.

4.24/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a bottle - 5/24/2010.

Clear pale straw gold in color; highly carbonated. Wheaty, slightly lactic peach aroma. Flavor is light, sour and quite tangy. Slightly funky (wonder what kind of yeast they use?). Very effervescent & awesomely refreshing. A summer favorite of mine.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured into my Duvel tulip. Festina Peche is a nice straw yellow color, but I'm disappointed by the complete lack of any head formation (and thus no lace either). This is my first Berliner Weiss, and I know not to expect much in the way of a head, but I'd like something. The nose is largely of peaches, but it seems fairly muted/weak (and I haven't had a problem picking up aromas from my other beers tonight). A few sips raise my opinion of this beer greatly, as Dogfish Head absolutely nailed it with how tart they made this beer, it stops just a bit short of becoming overwhelming. The peach flavor is a fantastic balance to the sourness and really rounds out the beer well. The body is light and Festina Peche is highly carbonated (which works well with this beer). It's almost ridiculous how drinkable this beer is, especially given the sour aspect. I'd love to spend a summer afternoon leisurely working through a few of these.

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%

Enjoyed this on-tap at Saraveza in Portland, OR poured into a schooner.

appearance - pours a cloudy yellow/orange, head recedes, light lacing

smell - lemon, wheat, peach, sour notes

taste - right away the beer is sour, then the peach and lemon notes start to come out with some wheat hanging out in the mix

mouthfeel - fairly light body that is disguised by the tartness of the beer, high carbonation

drinkability - refreshing and flavorful

4.01/5  rDev +9.9%

A: FP is quite hazy and displays impressive lacing. It is, however, lacking in the froth department, with no head in sight.

S: bouquet is disappointingly faint, with only a whiff of fresh peaches being detectable.

T: wow, bone dry and exceptionally tart. I am dumbfounded as to how DFH achieved a beer that is this tart without the use of bacteria. I am also very satisfied with the fact that the peach is playing a supporting role in this brew, and not trying to take over the show. Hops are nowhere to be found, but the tartness does an excellent job in their stead.

M: very light and extremely carbonated. the mouthfeel suits the style excellently.

D: I am impressed with the fact that FP delivered a taste of the Berliner weisse, and even more so with the fact that it was accomplished without bacteria. This is the best fruit beer I've had by far, and would definitely recommend it to fans of the Berliner weisse.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

A: poured a lemonade type of hue into my tulip with a finger of head that died really quick and had a little bit of sticky lacing.

S: sour lemons come to mind on the first whiff with some tartness and slight vinegar notes. I also kinda get a wheat scent as well.

T: I get some mild sour tartness right away with lemony hay flavors that remind me of fresh sqeezed lemonade. Didn't get much peach character on this one.

M: light bodied with a good amount of bubbly carbonation that accents the overall taste.

D: Not a big fan of the berliner weiss style but I enjoyed this one.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle date-stamped 2009 into a flared Guinness pint.

A - Very cloudy, pale straw in color. A massive head builds and spills a bit over the side of the glass upon pouring, but recedes fairly quickly. Looks like a good example of a weizen/weiss bier.

S - Wheat and sour notes. Not sour peach necessarily, but a general aroma of sour fruit. Not unpleasant, but not really that inviting either.

T - Mouth-puckeringly sour. The peach shows up here, but there is very little sweetness. A basic wheat backbone, with a little spice, again very representative of weizens, but the sourness is the main attraction here. I like the flavor, but don't love it.

M - Still a good deal of carbonation and an overall bready mouthfeel. Finishes somewhat dry and again with the tartness.

D - Not at all quaffable, but a decent drinker thanks to the low ABV. Sits a little heavy in the stomach, though.

I'd like to give a fresh batch of this a try, as the sourness was very compelling. This isn't meant to age this long, but I think it held up reasonably well. Worth the mix 6 add, for sure.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

12oz bottle (2009 vintage) poured into a Russian River stemmed glass.

A - Pours a cloudy grapefruit juice color with a thin finger of fizzy white had with very little staying power. After the head falls with no so much as a collar on the surface, this really looks a lot like grapefruit juice. A little dark for a Berliner Weissbier, but I expected it to be a bit different given other DFH beers.

S - Hmm, almost smells like a peachy Sprite. I guess that means some lemon-lime aroma kicks in a bit here. Some lactic sourness too, as would be expected. The peach smooths, sweetens and rounds out the aroma pretty well, but also serves to push the boundaries of the style. Enjoyable though.

T - Flavor is much more in line with the Berliner Weissbier style than I expected. Tart, lactic, lemony, with a touch of peach around the fringes. A bit puckering and bracing, but this is expected and desirable. Not truly classic, but a surprisingly good tasting example of the style.

M - Thin, watery and highly carbonated. Tart and puckering...tingles the tongue and sides of the mouth. Definitley light, refreshing and thirst quenching.

D - Well this definitely has to be one of the most drinkable styles out there, at least for me - and this is no exception. Light, lively carbonation and a great sour/tart flavor...throw in a low 4.5% alcohol level and here's a beer that you can drink all day. Think I'll be grabbing more of this in the summer when this will really shine.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

I had this one pretty close to a year ago and it was the first beer that I had that was remotely sour/tart, and I really didn't dig it at the time. Since then I've had a few offerings that are sour/tart and I've definitely grown to appreciate them, so I thought I'd give this another shot so I grabbed a single of it. Review is from notes taken on 4/26/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a pale straw color and starts with a 1/2 finger white head that fades quickly to a very thin and uneven skim; body is a little hazy and shows quite a bit of strong carbonation bubbling up throughout; no lacing holds at all to the sides of the glass.

Smell: A lot of toasted cracked grains and yeastiness right up front; there is a nice following of the peach scent; overall it comes across as a little tart.

Taste: Not especially strong or robust, but the sour/tart peachiness right up front, and it makes the mouth pucker a bit; the tart fruitiness is followed by a really nice toasty/grainy presence and a slightly sweet maltiness that offers a little bit of reprieve from the sour/tart aspect for a well-rounded drink overall.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is quite strong and borderline sharp -- could be just a tad mellower; the sour/tartness really makes the mouth pucker and when it subsides the mouth is left watering a little; the roof of the mouth is left with a moderately thick coating and the belly is left a little warm from the acidity.

Drinkability: The first time I had this beer, I really couldn't get into it, but now I feel I can appreciate and enjoy it. I would find this quite refreshing in the summer, and with the low ABV I could easily enjoy a few, but would limit it two probably two because of the acidity.

3.34/5  rDev -8.5%

A: looks like a regular macro beer and has very little foam

s: SOUR and sweet

T: it has an interesting taste...difficult to describe. It is like a sour peach more than beer flavored. More like sparkling peach juice.

m: Lightly carbonated peach soda

D: goes down easy with a little tartness...I could drink a few of these without a problem.

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

The first sunny days of spring made me crave a nice summer beer.
The local beer store was still full of porters, stouts ,barley wines, barrel aged this and that , but nothing to quench the thirst for summer. My favorite summer beer is the apricot IPA by dog fish head, but of corse it's not available, yet. Actually there's a snow storm in Denver and here in Portland there is hardly any Dog Fish head beer at all. Then there it was setting there all by it's lonesome the Festina Peche, just screaming summer. It was exactly what I was looking for, just perfect for a sunny afternoon.

Color and appearance: The color was a light straw yellow with a little cloud of yeast, topped with a light dissipating foam.

Mouthfeel: light and crisp, pallet cleansing.

Aroma: Loads of citrus, tangerine and meyer lemon, with a subtle floral peach background, and light yeast aroma.

Taste: nice and tart with a dash of sour, lots of citrus, with a light peach essence.

Glass used: A wide mouth goblet

Pairings: sunshine, paella, sushi, and grilled poultry.

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

Extremely pale yellow pour. Ugly color - way too macro looking. Audibly fizzy beer. Active 1-finger head, but quickly dissipates and leaves nothing behind. No lacing.

Nose is more lemon that peach. Perhaps not yet ripe peaches.

Very sour beer. More sour than tart, but tart is there toward the end and really comes out in the finish. Very puckering. If you like sour, you'll love this one.

Body is very light, but that's expected with the style.

Overall, I think they hit their mark. I'm just left to wonder why?

3.57/5  rDev -2.2%

Wow. This beer was not what I was expecting.

A - Pours a pale, straw color that looked like water when it was pouring out of the bottle. Not attractive at all.

S - Ok smell. Lot of malt present. Also pick up a hint (albeit just a trace) of floral and peaches.

T - It hits your tastebuds like an anvil. Very, very sour taste. Almost like drinking a lemon zest. Being from the south, I like my peach flavor overly sweet, this isn't what I was expecting in this beer.

M - Biting sensation on the toungue as the sourness of the beer hits. But it does away toward the end of the beer and the beer starts sweeting up.

D - Not much drinkability here. It's ok for what it is (a sour), but I wouldn't sit down and drink a sixer of this or anything.

3.67/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a hazy yellow with a nice white head that hangs around for a little while.

Smells of sweet wheat with a little kiss of peach.

This is actually a lot more tart that I would ahve guessed. It's not quite lambic or sour level, but it;s up there. The peach lends essence more than sweetness.

Light but not watery in the mouth. Nice carbonation.

Fairly drinkable and refreshing, but not really something I will seek out.

3.87/5  rDev +6%

Reviewed from notes.

One finger white froth dissipates rather quickly. The brew is transparent straw. Fruity esters and a sour green apple are emphasized on the nose. There's also a hint of wet hay or straw, but just a hint. Flavors are tart tart tart! This is true to the style descriptions. The sour notes aren't distinctly peach, though I am partial to sweet, ripe peaches and long for that flavor instead. It's pretty overwhelming, which is wonderful for a sour lover like me. Not much of a taste for hops, but that also appears to be true to the style. Mouthfeel is light and crisp, and the sour notes pull at my taste buds.

This brew is like a hybrid of a cider and a wild ale. It's sour, and then sweet, and of course back to sour again. Very tasty, but I definitely couldn't have more than one in a single sitting.

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%

Pour from a bottle stamped 2009 into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A- Thick, foamy, 1.5 finger head that dissipated into a few minutes into a lacy coating. Very light lacing that didn't linger. Very cloudy, unique orange/pink color (coral?)

S- Tart citrus- more to the lemony side

T- TART!! Bitter apple, sour lemon.

M- Foam/Fizzy, fuller side of light, vibrant

D- HOT HOT HOT weather malt beverage- you need to be overheated and sweaty to really enjoy this thirst quencher. It's perfect for those conditions, but certainly not an everyday brew.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery