Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: dherling on 02-26-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,797 | Reviews: 1,283
3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle courtesy of MDS- Thanks Mike! Decants hazy, cloudy yellow with a generous frothy white cap, with good sediment at the bottom of the glass.The aroma is heavily yeasty with sour lemons/limes and grapefruit and a barnyard/wet blanket sort of profile and a smidgen of apricot. The taste is full on tart yeasty peaches with white grapes, hay and a sour funk. Finishes astringent, puckering , bitter and tart, creamy yet dry. Low in alcohol and as a result, I could drink a lot of this. Excellent. Thanks Mike!

3.65/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle, poured into a standard pint glass.

A: yellowish amber color, hazy, slim white head that dissipates quickly, minimal lacing

S: peaches and a sour note.

T: it has a sour tartness to it that has to mellow in your mouth before the peach sweet character comes through a bit. its highly carbonated, so the tart/sweet contrasts shine pretty well.

MF: light bodied, high carbonation.

Drinkability: its drinkable, but more of an acquired taste. not something i'd seek out.

3.06/5  rDev -16.2%

I'm not really sure how to review this beer - it's my first of the style, and I think it's safe to say it may be the last. I'll try to put that aside though and review it based on the guidelines of the style...

To that end, it seems to fit the style to a tee. Super pale straw colored pour with a bubbly, carbonated-looking white head that recedes almost immediately and completely. No film, no crown, nothing.

Nose is sour. A bit of a white wine kind of scent - light fruits, I assume? Then comes the taste...wow, total sour bomb. I genuinely made that sour pucking expression made cliche from old Warhead wrappers. This was just too much for me. Through the sourness, I think I discerned light fruits - definitely peach, as the name suggests. Body is quite thin with fairly heavy carbonation.

If you can stand the sour, this is quite drinkable - if not, then you may end up with a drain pour. I'm trying my best to avoid doing that, but this beer is just too much for me... I kind of wish they had indicated on the label just exactly what this beer is all about. My first sip came as quite the shock.

4.47/5  rDev +22.5%

Found a leftover 2009 Festina Peche! Poured into a pint glass. Didn't think to shake up the sediment, before I finished the pour so I got a very clear (almost macro lite) pale yellow color with a good inch of head. Smell is fruity and tart, like champagne.

Very refreshing first sip. Just finished a workout so definitely appreciated. The tart flavor is overwhelming the peach but truly delicious. There is a bit of a champagne taste/feel in there just like the smell. I really wish I had saved more of this for the winter! I have one more left so if it keeps well I will get a case or more next year to hold onto through the cooler months.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a cervoise.

Appearance: Effervescent off-white head drops to nothing in less than a minute. Amber/yellow body. Nice carbonation.

Smell: Peach and a little sour funk.

Taste: Cheek-puckering tartness. Peach comes through nicely and is a good pairing for the sour of the Berliner weissbier style. The wheat malt is only really noticeable in the aftertaste.

1.37/5  rDev -62.5%

This beer is not what I like to drink. To me it's more a soda beverage with some beer added to it. Very tart and smells like rubber. Very thin head disappearing quickly. I couldn't finish the bottle. I don't think I will ever wish to try this beer again.

3.49/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a pale yellow with a decent sized head that fizzes away quickly. Practically no lacing on the glass.

Aroma is wheaty and tart, but the combination is rather unpleasant. Smells kind of rubbery.

Luckily, this tastes better than it smells. Pretty big tart blast up front, with a wheaty finish. The tartness settles into that happy medium between too weak and off-putting. The finish is ridiculously dry.

Crisp and refreshing. Very, very dry finish. Pretty light body with an appropriate carbonation level. Easy drinker.

This would be a really nice beer if it didn't smell so bad. I don't understand it at all, because it didn't taste anything like it smelled. Oh well, I'd rather it smell funky but taste good than the other way around.

4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

Yet another interesting creation from dogfish head. This beer may be lacking in color (looks like miller high life) and smell (literally has none), but in my opinion it has a great, refreshing taste to it. I'm shocked its only averaging a B. it has a great tart/sour feel for it that makes it almost close to a lambic or sour, this paired with a nice peach taste and great drinkability makes it an altogether very solid beer.

3.72/5  rDev +1.9%

Very pale yellow color that is easily seen through. Very small head that dissipated almost immediately, not much lacing. The smell is very wheaty and citrusy. The taste is very sour lemony and peachy. It is very tarty and that overwhelms the beer. This is a decent beer but it is very unique. Very drinkable and a good buy during summer.

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pallid yellow and hazy. thin white head that does not last long.

Smelsl sour and dried-apricot-fruity. Bright and slightly funky. Not much in the way of malt and no detectable hop whatsoever.

Whoa. Tastes like the surface of one of those extremely sour fruit candies, which is the only part I like of them. The treat here is that every single drink gives me the pure joy (and slight shock) that comes with that initial sour candy taste. Opened salivary floodgates.

Light bodied. At the end of every swallow is a slight dry malt sweetness that sits briefly, and is enough to entice the next cleansing drink. As it warms, a little more of the unripened fruitiness comes out. Very sour yet still balanced enough to keep it real. Not incredibly complex; but that is part of the beauty, and it is interesting enough.

I love sour things like lemons, pickles, and green apples. I love beer. I love DFH. No brainer. Hey, this beer is one I could keep in my fridge all year round, especially the summer. I've had limited Berliners, and need to add them to my brewing collection.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a clear yellowish hue with a small, fizzy head.

S- Peach, lots of wheat, bready.

T- Very balanced sour peach character. Sustained yet not overwhelming. Finishes very bready and crisp.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D- This is definitely an interesting brew and one of my favorites from DFH thus far. Very drinkable.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

12oz. bottle poured into tulip shaped glasses:

A: Fleshy pear covered in a haze, admitting no head retention at all.

S: Lemon grass scent with undertones of wheat and unripened peach.

T: Tingly sweet peach rolling into a puckering sour back palate.

M: Light to medium bodied with almost no carbonation at all.

D: Very thirst quenching. An excellent summer session beer.

Cheers,
The Kings Of Hop

3.74/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours extremely pale with a focus on straw yellow pale. Super carbonated head the disappears quickly.

Smells very sour. Some vegetal in their as well. Main focus being peach and apricot. Maybe a bit of mango also.

Tastes very sour with a slight peach offset. This is a decent example of a berliner weis. Slight puckering of the cheeks occurs. Very dry finish. Feels very light on the tongue.

Overall its a very interesting beer. Not the best Berliner Weis I've ever had, but pretty decent too.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

A- Pours a very clear pale cloudy yellow with a 2 finger white head that settled very fast. Very minimal lacing. Some sediment that settles on the bottom of the glass.

S- Smells tart, I can pick up a little wheat and yeast as well.

T- I really like this. You get some wheat up front and then the tartness hits you in the finish.

M- Light body & just the right amount of carbonation for this style.

D- Extremly high, you just can't help but not get this one down fast. Tart & refreshing! This would be fantastic on a hot day working in the backyard.

4.21/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

Had this on tap ran through peaches and blackberries in a Randall the Enamel Animal machine during Cleveland Beer Week. I just had to try this one straight from the bottle.

A: Pours a very pale, almost clear golden straw color. With a fizzy white head that is similar to a soda pop and fades within 10 seconds to absolutely nothing.

S: You can smell this one from a good 12" away. Tons of sourness and peaches/fruits.

T: Tastes sour and acidic yet delightfully refreshing and delicious. Lemons and peaches are in the finish immediately after your mouth stops puckering. Leaves with a very dry and slightly yeasty finish.

M/D: You can actually hear the bubbling from the carbonation. Nice medium-thin body from the wheat. As I said up top, very refreshing and drinkable. Perfect for a summer day.

Haven't had any other Berliner Weissbiers, but this one seems to hit on every note mentioned in the description. For some reason, I love what this beer is and can't wait to try more in this style.

2.52/5  rDev -31%

A: Pours a clear yellow into my Moinette goblet; glows slightly orange in light, and has a very thin head.

S: Lagery yeasts, some resident spiciness. Somewhat unimpressive as it reminds me of most macro-lager smells.

T: Wheat malts hit the palate followed by a strong, tart, vinegary peach taste, like extremely unripened peaches. Slightly sweet malts ensue and lead to a juicy finish.

M: Juicy with just enough carbonation to tingle the tongue.

D: Vinegary taste is a little too dominant for me to ever want another.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance: Light colored body, but unfiltered and murky in appearance. The beer swirled around after pouring.

Smell: A little tart on the nose. Not an overpowering aroma.

Taste: Tart. I wouldn't say sour, just tart. Peach flavor is minimal-to-nonexistent, but not to say this detracts from the taste.

Mouthfeel: Tingly, kind of like a gueuze. Not how you might expect a fruit-flavored beer to feel.

Drinkability: The pleasant tartness would allow me to maybe drink a couple of these, but not probably not more.

Not what I was expecting from a peach-flavored beer, but I'm not disappointed either. This is my first Berliner Weisse and only my 2nd Dogfish Head beer. I am intrigued and will seek out both the style and the brewery again.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

12oz bottle served at 47 degrees in a standard pint glass. Bottled in 2009 indicated on the bottle. Poured a slightly hazy straw color with a half inch bright white head that reduced its volume by half in less the 15 seconds before settling into a small slick with a tight band around the perimeter of the glass; no lacing on this one. Mild nose - prickly citrus and light, fruity esters. Taste consistent with nose; however, citrus is expressed more as citric acid than any definable fruit flavor, and a little bit of wheat comes out at the finish. Mouthfeel is light-bodied and very lively with a great deal of astringency that puckers the cheeks and stimulates the salivary glands before culminating in a tart, dry finish. Just starting to explore this style and I found Festina Peche to be quite drinkable, flavorful and refreshing. ABV makes it quite sessionable, but astringency can be a little overwhelming after more than a couple. Nonetheless, a great example of the style.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

Mmm. Festina Peche is a great beer for summer drinking. And kudos to Dogfish for producing this rarely found style.

The beer is very light in color, probably one of Dogfish's lightest creations, and well carbonated. It smells and tastes like peaches, but the peach character is dry and well integrated so that it is obvious that they did not simply add peach juice after fermentation. I also has significant lactic acid sourness, which I find very refreshing. I have drank several cases of this beer.

I would think the sourness would be rejected by non-craft beer drinkers. But in my experience, guests who do not otherwise drink Dogfish or other craft beers often enjoy Festina Peche quite a bit.

My only complaint is that on moving this to large-scale production they stopped souring with natural bacteria. I say this because the sour character is slightly harsher and more one-dimensional compared with other sour beers and compared to when they first brewed this at their brewpub. It also lacks some of the aromas generated by natural bacterial souring.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Served from a 12oz bottle at about 45-50 degrees.
Appearance - shows a light, hazy straw in the glass with a white froth that dissipates quickly.
Smell - Peach (duh), tart apricot, sour red candy, and a light cereal smell.
Taste - holy cow that's sour! (Yes, I just realized that this is a berliner weisse) Everything that is on the nose comes across on the palate along with an extra orange zest character. Long finish.
Drinkability - This is definitely an above average effort from an under appreciated category.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A: Massive three-finger head rises from a pale yellow bodied brew. Head slowly shrinks to a thin layer of bubbles. Lacing is fluffy and liquidy. Bubbles cling to the bottom of the glass, then rise to the top.

S: Smell is sharp and tart. Don't know if I could identify the peaches without having read the label, but I definitely know there's some kind of fruit.

T: There's really only one taste here: sour. I like it, but could see others not. Unique and not something I've tasted in other beers.

M: A quick flash of clean up front, followed by a tart, puckering finish. Light bodied.

D: This one needs to be enjoyed in the right spots. I've had it with fish and after some sweat drenching work. It goes great in those cases, but I don't know if I'd enjoy it as much outside the right food or weather.

Served: in a Weizen glass.

Review from notes taken on: 9/10/09

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours out a cloudy straw, tight white head on pour that eventually recedes.

Tart and sour up front on the nose, sweet floral notes in the background.

Tart sour flavour profile, faint hints of peach on the finish, pretty one-dimensional.

Rounded and sticky mouthfeel, light carbonation but still a decent amount of body. Leaves a coating on the palate.

Quenching and refreshing, that's for sure, and best to drink it on the colder side. Still nothing too remarkable here, but it delivers what it's supposed to.

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a pint glass, not much of head but a nice golden hazy color. decent

nice tart/sour aroma,bit of wheat malt,somewhat funky.bit of peaches.

flavor is lip puckering tart.nice sour peach flavor interwoven through the sour wheat notes. very refreshing.

moderate carbonation and light mouthfeel make this a very freshing beer,especially after a hard day's work.

4.37/5  rDev +19.7%

This is my first beer review, so please forgive me.
I drank this from the bottle, and smelling inside the bottle, it's aroma was like a regular Dogfish Head beer. So I was quite taken back by my first taste. Tasted very carbonated even though it didn't have a carbonation look. It was also very sour and tasted more like a wine. I've never described my beer as dry before, but that is just the word for this beer. I actually really enjoyed this beer but near the end found myself getting a little tired of the sour taste. Still a PERFECT beer for the summer, and would be great with something grilled or marinated. It's the kind of beer I could serve my friends who prefer wine/cocktails over beer.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Tasty and refreshing sour Berlin Weissbier.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle. Dogfish small bottle identity design with a naive peach tree painting motive . One front liner choosing to label this as a "malt beverage". Short two liner on the side, accurately describing style albeit in quite a small way. Shows date of bottling (2009), neither shows IBUs or °Plato, only Alc. by Vol. (4.5%) Poured into a tulip glass.

A - Pale straw haze with a small white head that fades quickly leaving little lacing.

S - Sour and soft wheat dry smell with a touch of peach and citrus notes.

T - Tart crispness, with some light fruit, and a subtle peach identity.

M - Light bodied with quite a bit of carbonation working rather well.

D -Very drinkable if you like tartness. Low alc. but the balanced, crisp, and carbonated lightness makes for a fully enjoyable drinking experience.

Notes: A common mistake I´ve witnessed a few times with this is expecting, or demanding, it to be something that it is not. For instance I´ve seen a beer staffer at a well-know store telling another customer that this is only good as a paint stripper, and better stick to "Son of a Peach" as a fruit ale of choice. Different beers and different styles... This is quite a nice brew for a Berlin Weissbier, and purism aside if one thinks of the hints of peach, it is actually quite true to style. Nice, refreshing, tart, and a great addition to seasonal brew offerings on this side of the Atlantic.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery