Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours hazy golden with a thin white head that disappears rather quickly. Nose has subtle peaches, tart citrus and wheat. Taste also has a nice sour yeast presence along with bready malts, lemon, white grapes and again a soft peach flavor. Crisp body is well carbonated. Very refreshing feel. This ended up being much better than I expected. Would be interesting to see how it ages.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass

P: Sits a cloudy, dull-looking straw color with a huge, healthy head of very active, very rocky foam. Shows rather poor retention, though, as it crackles & pops its way down to nothing more than a thin halo in mere seconds. Leaves no lace to look at, either.

A: The nose is not as strong as I anticipated, and doesn't really tickle my fancy, either. It's comprised of a big lactic acid kick, toasted wheat, citric acid, yeast, and peaches, of course. It doesn't smell like fresh, juicy peaches, though. Instead, it reminds me more of tart, peach juice concentrate. Interesting

T: The lactic acid sourness combines with a sharp, acidic lemony twang for a tart, bitter greeting of the palate. Toasted wheat comes through more as the mouthful progresses, as do the peaches, albeit very subtly. Once again, they're more reminiscent of peaches in concentrate form, and they never lend a big hand to the profile because they're muted by the tart citrus flavors. Turns bone-dry halfway through and just seems to suck the moisture out of every nook and cranny in my mouth. Seriously, one sip and I felt like Jim Carrey in Me, Myself, and Irene after he takes his medication.

M: Medium-bodied, almost creeping into medium-full territory with a sticky, mouth-coating dryness (as mentioned above) that reminds me of the way lemonade feels. Now, I would never claim to be an expert on the Berliner Weissbier style (or any style yet for that matter) but the 1809 I had recently was much thinner, much more crisp, and a whole lot more refreshing because of it. So, it seems to me that Festina Peche is just too heavy and cumbersome to strike me as something refreshing that I'd want to slurp down on a hot summer's day.

Notes: This is an interesting brew, to say the least. Dogfish Head makes off-centered beer for off-centered people, and I consider myself to be a bit off-centered. But, me and this beer must be on opposite sides of the center because I just didn't enjoy it all that much. I've only had the chance to try a couple DFH brews, with 60 minute and Palo Santo Marron being my favorites. I gotta give them respect for being so creative and quirky, as it takes some serious balls to take the kind of risks they do with such off-the-wall beers. I just wasn't feeling this little quirky creation.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

This beer pours a slightly hazy pale straw colour, with a few fingers of thin puffy white head, which leaves a small ring of lace as it recedes. It smells of vegetal (?) peach essence, and a light white grain. The taste is sour orchard fruit, more nectarine than peach - almost lemony, apple, and musty white grain. The carbonation is moderate, the body medium weighted, and fruit-juice-like, and it finishes dry, with some earthy pit fruit.

A solid, dry fruit beer, the tartness not overwhelming. A refreshing end of summer quaff.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of white head. It is a hazy, pale yellow. It smells kind of like an adjunct lager with a hint of peach. It tastes tart. It reminds me of green apples more than peach. It is dominated by the tartness. I could probably have another, but that would be about it. I would have to be in the mood for this style of beer to try it again.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

Live review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle that I bought as a single at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio for $2.00 a few weeks ago into my DFH pint glass.

A Cloudy pale yellow body under a nearly non existent head (a ring around the top of the beer). This is a somewhat unique look and right to the style guildines. Even so, it is just a bit boring. 3.5

S A unique, grainy, peachy smell. Not very fruity at all though. 3.5

T Well, the taste is pretty much right to the style guidlines (a style that I cannot recall having before) but it carries right over from the smell. There is a chemically, seltzer like taste and the peach was more prominent. I did not like that it tasted a bit "chemically" to me. 3.0

M Moderate with low ABV (4.5%) but some tastes to beef up the feel. This is consistent with the style though. 3.5

D I don't know, average I guess. I finished the 12 ounces but I was not anticipating every sip. It is like seltzer water with some peach flavoring. 3.0

Notes: Had recently missed a chance to catch this on tap a few months ago so when I saw the bottle I snatched it up. I wonder if it would have presented significantly different on tap. More investigation may be required. Again here, I very much appreciate DFH willingness to explore lots of styles (and even create seemingly new ones at times!).

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Poured with a spare head that wasn't so much really a head as it was a thin film. Body is cloudy and a light-yellow color.

S: Smells of light malt, and, of course, peach. Luckily, the peach isn't overpowering at all; actually, I was quite surprised at just how mild it was.

T: Flavor is very sweet and peachy. Refreshing, short duration; really doesn't taste too much like beer. I've never had anything like this before.

M: Light bodied with an oily texture, and average carbonation.

D: Like I said, very refreshing and different. Goes down easy on a warm summer day, but I think it's too sweet for me to have more than one. Still, a very interesting beer that proves yet again that DFH is always willing to push the envelope.

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

A: Pale golden yellow color.

S: Wheat and faint peach smell.

T: Tart peach up front and followed by a continuous tart flavor and finishing. I really enjoy tart/sour beers.

M: Smooth. Light/Med carbonation

D: I enjoyed this beer a lot drinking in 114 degree AZ sun. Tart, but not overly sour.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

This is a very interesting beer from dogfish head. You'll either love or hate this one.

Pours a very pale, clear, light yellow color, similar to a white whine or champagne. Head forms up quick with fine, tiny bubbles, but they don't last very long and turn into a lacing just around the glass. Tiny bubbles flow up the center.

Aroma is just light and acidic, with a fine sour peach aroma. Kind of smells like an attic. Not a very strong aroma, but it's interesting.

The flavor is light and tart. Think of a warhead candy, peach flavored, that has most of the sour powder sucked off. It won't make a sour face, but your aware all the way through. Peach flavor is very authentic, and interesting. I'm not a huge fan of peaches but this pleased me.

Mouthfeel is light and spritzy, and fits the character of this beer the best it can. Drinkability is good. This fits only a hot summer day. It's refreshing acidity, spritzy mouthfeel and light body are great for a hot summer day and not much else. Very refreshing, but I feel it would be great only in small quantities.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

This was the first beer served at a tasting. Poured into champagne flutes.

Cloudy pale amber with an aggressive head that dissipated into nothing.

The nose betrayed peach characteristics and a slight floral aroma.

It tastes like a sour bellini. So refreshing on a hot day - this is definitely one of my favorite summer brews.

The mouthfeel with the light effervescence feels like champagne.

This is a very easy beer to drink. One comment from a taster was, "It doesn't taste like beer. It tastes like a cocktail."

3.96/5  rDev +8.5%

My first Berliner Weissbier style, and it seemed to live up to the style's description...

Poured into tall Weiss-style glass - pretty golden to orange color, with 2F head dropping quickly. Some carb present, and just a slight haze.

Smell was light - faint wheat and sour apple.

The flavor was tart, sour and acidic peach - almost seemed a bit artificial, but not bad. Good grainy/earthy notes pulled thru for balance as it warmed.

Moutfeel was pretty crisp and smooth at the same time - some puckering sourness.

I give it pretty high marks for drinkability ... wish there were more of the style to compare it to.

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

A: Very cloudy pale yellow with a nice white foam.

S: Wheat, lemony sourness, some peach.

T: Excellent level of tartness, the peach is present primarily on the finish, rather than an overpowering flavor throughout the beer. Some notes of wheat and lemon are there as well.

M: Quite light on the tongue with a very pleasant tartness.

D: A very refreshing, easy drinking beer.

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

Poured a hazy pale straw yellow color into my mason jar pint glass...I was vacationing in a cabin and these were the glasses du jour. Smelled of peaches with a hint of sour apple. Pretty tart, which I liked, but there really wasn't much beer taste. To me, the peach was more of a background flavor. I actually liked the acidy tartness that lingered after each drink. It went well with the light fizzy mouthfeel.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

I ordered this being naive to the peach theme because I don't speak the French and am a bit slow on the uptick. Mostly, just wanted a lighter beer because it's the summer, it's hot out, and the evening was just getting started. Got the glass, it looked good, but the smell was fruity and strange. Bheilman, devilish man that he is, then filled me in on the dirty little secret. Peaches my friend, peaches. Immediately revulsion filled my head, but you know what, it was pretty good. It was light and refreshing and had a fruit taste, but the beer part of this beer was still front and center. I won't run back to get this, but I enjoyed it.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Have had this beer on several occasions, both on-tap and from a bottle. I recall the first time a couple years ago, when I was a complete novice at the fruit/sour/Berlinerweiss thing: wasn't completely turned off but was definitely caught by surprise. Since then, the style has grown to be among my favorites, especially in summer's heat. Earlier this week, opened a 12 oz. ("Bottled In: 2009 F") and poured to a pint glass.

A: Lightly cloudy wheat-golden under a mound of fizzing white foam, cresting at well over a finger. Head drops to a thin film, hugging the edges, leaving a patchy lace behind. After an initial roil, few bubbles rise randomly.

S: Muted aroma of peach, otherwise it's musty yeast and a slightly stinging sourness.

T: Upfront fruity and tart, I don't really discern the source as 'peaches'. Plenty of spiced wheat, sour and acidic non-descript fruit, drying bready/crackery finish. Not overly complex, but it all works well.

M: Crisp then ultra-mellow, a progression that takes at least 10-15 seconds after each sip. Stylistically right, the light body is refreshing, the tartness is saliva-inducing.

D: Extremely easy to drink, the hotter the day the better. Or the cooler. Basically, I really like this one alot, and find it tough to make it last more than 5-6 sips/gulps every time I have one...recommended.

2.62/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Straw/pale yellow. Thin, white head that was reduced to a rim ring quickly.

S-Sharp smell. Sweet and sour. Very acidic.

T- Sour. Almost reminded me of vomit? (I know that sounds awful, but I dont really mean it in a bad way). Its a sharp, sweet bite. Not really any trace of peaches.

M- Sharp. Stings the mouth in a not so pleasant way.

D- Not at all. Between the harsh flavor, and the putrid, vomit like bite, it was a struggle to put down just one glass. Glad I didnt buy a four pack.

Other- I was really let down by this beer. I love DFH, and I love fruit beers, but something about the style or flavor, just wasnt for me. That doesnt mean another wont like it, but I dont plan on ever drinking one again.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Picked this up in Iowa of all places.

A: Cloudy yellow w/ darker brown hues. A ton of clumped yeast comes out and sinks to the bottom. No real head at all.

S: Sweet and sour. A hint of peach. Faint metallic aroma in the end.

T: Hits the tongue with a pleasant sweetness, quickly followed by sharp tartness. The tartness dies quickly and the beer ends with fruity peach tones.

M: Light bodied. Crisp and "fizzy" on the tongue.

D: This was my first experience with the style. I must say that it was just "above average" on a tasting scale for me. I have nothing to compare this beer to, so maybe it is great for the style. I am not typically into sour beers, but I could see myself buying this again. I'd like to check out a few more of this style first though.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

This is ok, very dry and lemony-fruity with little else.

Pale, bright but slightly hazy straw yellow, it has a medium, fiarly frothy-creamy white head that slowly shrinks and leaves a lasting thin top with frothy ring and some lace.

The aroma is light, perfumy but thin, lemony with peach fruitiness and underlying hints of grain and general dry, vague fruitiness.

The taste is somewhat similar, perfumy, light, thin, and dry, lemony with hints of peach and grapes. It has a light cracker-grain element that takes over in the aftertaste. Overall, it is too fruity, dry, and thin and does very little for me.

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into a pint glass

Pours a light yellow color with plenty of bubbles. A half inch head was there but dissipated within a minute of pouring, but with a tad bit left around the edges of the liquid.

Smells pretty good. Tart and I can definitely smell the peaches but they aren't very sweet. It's more of an unripe peach smell but more intense than the fruit would give off. Pretty nice smelling, really.

On the first sip the first thing I can taste is the tartness. It is not puckering but is definitely the most forward flavor. The peach is there too but is definitely a less dominant flavor. I do like the flavor, it's pretty refreshing with it's tartness but not overly tart. This will help with it's drinkability for sure.

The mouthfeel is pretty good. Lots of dancing bubbles on the tongue and pretty light.

Drinkability is real good since the alcohol content is low, the body of the beer is light and the flavor isn't overpowering. You could drink this all night and not get too tired of it or too drunk.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

First off, how many American breweries are making the Berliner-Weiss style? I'm having a hard time coming up with any. Very cool in my opinion that DFH would even try to attempt a beer like this. In the glass this bee is a hazey dul hay color with some chunks of yeast in the bottom. Massive foamy head rise quick and falls fast signalling high carbonation. The smell is yeasty with a little bit of spice and some tropical fruit. The flavor is mostly tart, slightly lactic, and nicely flavored by the peaches. Most fruit beers I find are very sweet and fruity, but this one is fairly dry and very well done. I could not put this beer down after the first sip. Quenching and quite addictive.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

This beer was ordered at the local Old Chicago. When it first came to the table the roasted golden beer had a good deal of head and reduced to wisps of lacing. The aroma of peaches, and citrus hits the nose. The taste is a surprise as it is a tarter beer then what I thought that they peach sugars would give. Overall a good change within the summer months.

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

For a weissbier, not traditionally my cupotea, this is really quite a good brew by sam and the good folks at DFH.

A real great coloration to this beer, light and hazy, shades of light orange and deep golds circle together with a thin, pale head.

Smells like champagne and summer, there's little if any direct "peach" aroma but there's definately citrus, grapefruit and apricots off the top of my head.

The mouthfeel is a bit coarse because of the carbonation but it's really enjoyable overall. The peaches hit your tongue just as you get the beer down your throat, initial bitterness and an afterbite are both present to bring the beer home.

A real great summer beer that goes down easy and has a light alcohol content make this one of my favorites for an afternoon barbeque or just if you're lookin' for something light.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

A: Murky pale wheat/orange body with little head.
S: Mainly like a wheat beer like Blue Moon--heavy on sweet malts and wheat, but also with a tang to it.
T: First taste coming through is a mixture of the tart peach and wheat. The peach dies out and it finishes a bit bitter with the wheat.
M: A bit heavy and syrupy, but given the style, might be what they were going for.
D: Haven't had this style before. For that reason, a bit hard to judge it properly. Don't have something to compare it against and not entirely sure what I was looking for in the taste. Though given what I've read about the style it seems pretty close to what the style ought to be.

3.99/5  rDev +9.3%

12oz. bottle served cold in a chalice.

Pours a pale cloudy yellow-white color like white wine. It has a thin layer of white head that wanes immediately leaving a ring around the outside.

Aroma is sweet and tart like peaches, green grapes, and honey.

Flavor is sweet and slightly tart up front with a nice sour kick towards the middle. It finishes pretty dry almost like a brut champagne. The peaches and tart green apple add a really interesting character to the beer.

Mouthfeel is light in body but heavy in carbonation. I prefer the opposite but it works for this type of beer. Drinkability is going to be limited by the sourness, carbonation, and dry finish.

Overall it's better than I expected. More sour too. In a day when sours are all the rage, I would expect this one to do better on BA. It's underrated if you ask me.

3.87/5  rDev +6%

On tap Baileys Taproom, 20 oz Nonic Stout glass.

Light yellow color, slightly cloudy but still transparent, 2 thumb head.

Strong lemon zest scent, a bit of a bitterness and light scents of grain

Citrus beginning, tart and sour, fruits flavors; apple, lemon, peach, then ends with a nice fresh taste of grain.

Thin mouthfeel and with high carbonation

Great beer for the summer, I enjoyed it on a gray Portland OR afternoon, but I'll remember to have one next time it is hot. "A tart Hefeweizen" Steffie Cheldelin

4.27/5  rDev +17%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy straw. Thin head with fast dissipation. Decent lacing.

Smell: Sweet apple, lemon and fruit with hints of grain.

Taste: Medium tart with sweet apple and lemon with a slight corn grain finish.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation with a nice dry bite.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable.

I love this beer for summer. It strikes a good balance between sweet, tart and drinkablility.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery