Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
2.83/5  rDev -22.5%

4-pack from the Wine Emporium in Shelton, CT - $6.99. Was very much looking forward to this.

A - Pours a hazy light gold w/ 1/2 finger of white head that goes away in a split second.

S - Um, peaches. Not much else.

T - Very mellow peach flavor with a sour tart that comes through pretty strong. Tastes too much like white wine for me.

M - Very dry and watery.

D - I guess if I enjoyed it more, it would be good on a hot summer day. Very light and watery.

Armstrongm, Jul 17, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow color. Reminds me of a unfiltered macro beer. 1 finger off white head that dies down almost instantly. No real lacing to speak off just slides down the sides of the glass.

S- Big peach smell right off the bat in the nose. This beer isn't as sour smelling as I expected. The peach smell is more sweet like a candy than anything else. Has a underlying vinegar smell to it almost like a cheaper wine. No real hop presence in this beer to speak of. I don't know maybe I was expecting it.

T- Nice suprising sour peach overtone to this beer. There is still a wine type of taste to this that I can't deny as much as I want too. It's not a bad thing but maybe it could use a little less wine tinge and a little more peach to it.

M- Light mouthfeel to this beer. The carbonation is a little off with mine and lets the beer fizzle in the mouth. I don't mind it though..it makes for something different. Leaves a sourish peach taste in the mouth with slight acidic vinegar taste in some wines like merlots and cab sauvs.

D- This is in it's own way a summer refresher. It would be good to have on a warm summer day or when just hanging out with friends. I don't mind it but would pick something else if I had the chance.

alleykatking, Jul 17, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Its pretty cool that DFH makes a beer in the Berliner Weisse style and add a little something to make it more drinkable( the peach juice)/ Poure kinda hazy and orange with sediment floating in the bottom with almost no head. The nose is sour yet fruity with is very right for the style. I liked the dry tartness that follows each sip. The peaches are really only there to balance the acidity but in no way could you call this a sweet fruit beer. Very refreshing and with a low ABV very much the apertif for the patio party

canucklehead, Jul 17, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

Hazy and lazy beer, pale color, cloudy, and not much foam. Acceptable for the style but not the best sales pitch for appearance.

Tartness battles it out with the sticky sweetness. Both are rather mild, letting all the simple flavors come into light. Definite lacto sourness and aroma, lending a rather tame and round acidity. I'm not noticing much in the peach department.

Mouthfeel is a tiny bit heavy for the style I'd say. But still quite good. I'd prefer a thinner, more carbonated beer.

Drinkability is high, can't have too much. Recommended.

rayjay, Jul 16, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a cloudy yellow, honey color. Little head without much retention or carbonation. True to the style.

Smells very fruity but I'm not sure exactly what fruit they are that I am picking up. Perhaps lemon zest and (of course) peach.

The taste is very interesting! Very carbonated (unlike the appearance) and acidic with a wallop of peach flavor and sour sweetness. You may think its almost too sweet until the bready, doughy finish of this beer. It lingers long after your last sip.

Pretty impressive!

A very complex and interesting beer. I'm not much of a fan of this style beer but it doesnt mean I don't appriciate it. It was very much enjoyed.

jhammel01, Jul 16, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

A very interesting beer. Pours like a macro - big and bubbly, pee-golden color, big foamy head without much retention. Like a champagne macro almost, no insult to the high life :p Smells like tart peach, like a jolly rancher. That's what the flavor is, too. A slightly sweet peach-flavored jolly rancher. The tartness isn't too extreme, and coats the mouth nicely. Very light and airy, very drinkable for the summer. I think this is actually spoiled a bit for me, as at ACBF I tried Haverhill's Berliner Weisse, and it just blew the pants off of this one. Though especially for an underrepresented style, it is quite nice.

damienblack, Jul 13, 2009
3.38/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Update 7/14/09:

Poured another 12oz bottle tonight. Poured into my SA perfect pint glass.

Appearance-wise, this one poured a bit clearer until the bottom of the bottle when I got some yeast sediment that swirled down into the bottom of my glass, clouding things up along the way. Wondering if my bottles are just that old? Otherwise, everything else remains the same. Still interestingly refreshing, although I can't say that I would reach for this beer on a regular basis.

12oz bottle poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

A: Pour produces quite the hazy golden/straw colored body. I think this is one of the cloudiest beers I have come across, which, interestingly enough, the style guideline indicates the body should be quite clear and sparkling. Hmmm. There is no head to speak of and just minimal lacing. Some interesting swirling within the cloudy body. Chill haze? Not sure.

S: The nose is more tart than I expected knowing this beer is brewed with peach concentrate. Obviously picking up big notes from the peach, but it isn't as sweet as I expected. There is also this wine-like aroma that is zesty, souring and prickly on the nose; quite pungent really.

T: Remarkably like a white wine or a bitter cider - I can see why people in Berlin order these beers with flavored syrups. First part of each sip is sour but it is slowly overcome by a touch of fruity peach sweetness. Mid sip reminds me of wine (maybe a White Zinfandel) that has a hint of fruity sweetness but enough pop and spritz to make you pucker up a bit. Aftertaste on this beer returns to a lingering, mild peach flavor.

M: Huge carbonation; very spritzy and champagne like. Finish is drying, encouraging another sip.

D: If you can overcome the initial sour/tart punch, there is a refreshing quality to this beer. Would make for a good summertime thirst quencher.

This is an interesting, head-turning beer from DFH (would you expect less?). It definitely isn't for everyone. I'm not a huge fan of peaches, but I'm glad for their presence in this beer because they added some sweetness to cut through the decidedly tart edge of this berliner weiss. Worth trying, but it is not a beer that I think I would reach for first (or purchase regularly). Don't get me wrong, it wasn't a bad, it just isn't something I would drink regularly - maybe have one occasionally just to shake things up, which is exactly what DFH did.

Buschyfor3, Jul 13, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -34.2%

Pours a pale yellow, very carbonated. I'm just not sure what they were going for here?? The label says malt beverage with peach flavors. So is it suppose to be like a Smirnoff Ice?? Or more like a fruit beer? To me its neither. Has a very watery feel. Taste of a bad sour candy. Not really any Peach flavor. Every sip is very mouth puckering. I suppose some may like this flavor, it could be ok on a real hot day. But overall this was a drainpour for me.

Liverpool08, Jul 12, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

A- Golden Hay color with bubby carbonation and thick, but quickly thinning head.

S- Faint peach and hay scent, could have packed more peach

T- Tart and Sour Peach tastes with a straw like wheat feel.

M- Light and refreshing with a slight tart, acidic pucker effect.

D- the tart and sour pucker effect made it difficult to finnish this lighet

Notes: Having this aged is an experience of its own. The tartness and acidity thin out over time and produce a much more complex and enjoyable beer. Also, i prefer the bottle to the tap.

rfgetz, Jul 08, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

Very disappointed in DFH.

My mouth was watering over this beer, it sounded like the perfect brew for a nice hot day and relaxing after some yard work. I picked it up for 4th of July Weekend. Let's just say it was one of the low lights of my week.

The smell is a bit pugent at first, piercing even, but not horrible.

However, AS SOON, as the beer hit my tongue, I was just hit by an obnoxious sour note, that made my face cringe. Had flavorings likened to a sour warhead candy. There was very little peach evident to me.

It felt very light, and watery in the mouth, but I suppose if you can get over the taste some may find it refreshing.

patmcd, Jul 06, 2009

Tulip. Pours slightly hazy and the color of straw, with a small fizzy white head that quickly recedes.

The aroma is sour with faint peach notes and some acidic character. As the beer warms, a swirl of the glass brings out floral notes. Alcohol isn't present in the nose, and no hop character is detectable. The beer has a nice light and fruity sour aroma.

Lactic sourness is strongest up front, with some acidity. Light fruit notes are present, in the form of peaches, apricots, and some lemon. The finish is dry and fruity with a lingering tartness and acidity. The alcohol is completely hidden and no bitterness or hop flavor is detectable.

As far as mouthfeel goes, the beer is pretty consistent with the style. It's light bodied with a high level of carbonation and a dry mouthfeel. It seems just a tad thin, but I can't fault it much for that. Overall, this beer is an enjoyable Berliner Weiss. I love this style and I wish that more breweries would produce it.

HopHead84, Jul 06, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Bone white in color, irregular, pockmarked head of mixed bubble sizes, dissipates down to a thin layer across the surface with virtually no lacing. Prodigiously cloudy flat yellow color, fully opaque. The nose is comprised of bitter grass, wheat germ, white mineral dust, super-sour white grapefruit to lemon pith, barely a suggestion of peach, or any other fruit for that matter, where's Waldo, where's the malts too? Light to medium-bodied, however, so sour that it hardens in the mouth halfway through the sip. Close to bone dry, as a result retains an emphasis on the desiccated white grapefruit, lemon citrus. The carbonation is finely bubbled and has a mostly upfront prickle. Once more, have to ask where the peach flavor is, at best it's like sucking on a peach pit from yesterday. Stony, pebbly, not earthy nor minerally, just sucking on stones. Lots of wheat, raw grains and grass. It is indeed refreshing but if served blindly you would not come close to guessing what it is labeled as.

farrago, Jul 05, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a lemon yellow color with barely a rimming of bubbled head.
Smells very tart with some notes of peaches throughout.
Taste has a tarty/sweetness to it with some wheat notes blended with hints of peach juice sweet.
Finish is crisp with a light tart, but inoffensive after-taste.
Body is light and this is very drinkable.

ThaBobfather, Jul 04, 2009
3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

While pouring this beer on a hot, sunny day in Alaska, I could tell that I had picked the perfect day to enjoy this light, effervescent, and tart beer.

Upon pouring, a sweet, tart aroma wafts up from the glass. No prominent peach aromas, but more a gently fermented fruitiness with some low malt character. The sour armoas are restrained and in check with the lightness of the beer.

The color is a rich straw to gold with very good clarity. The head is white and large while pouring. However, the head disappates rapidly to leave no lace or head.

The first sip invoked a very strong "Oooh" response as the effervescent texture and (finally) peach flavors floated across my tongue. The peach flavors blend into the sour, dry finish. Low malt character that just balances the fruit/sour notes. No appreciable hop character.

The mouthfeel of this beer is everything you could want in a perfect summer beer. An incredibly crisp and dry finish enhances the sourness. This beer is light bodied and evaporates clean off the palate. It is intensely carbonated and effervescnet.

I feel as though this beer is really holding back on the sourness for the style. The peach is also not as prominent as I would have suspected it to be - particularly in the aroma. Overall, a very refreshing beer and a pleasant low-gravity surprise from Dogfish Head.

coastie04, Jul 04, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Bought a 12 ounce bottle as part of a mix-a-six. Poured the bottle into a pint glass. The color is a light straw body with minimal head to it. Festina Peche smells tart, sweet, and a combination of apple and peach in my opinion. Upon taking a sip, the first word that comes to my mind is... sour. I do enjoy sour beers from time to time, so this one works. I also taste some of that peach mentioned in the beers name. Carbonation is there as well. Mouthfeel is tart, good idea to have a glass of water after this. Drinkability is decent, could have another one. This is a good beer and would most certainly be a big step in the right direction if you were trying to ween someone off drinking a " hard ___" or whatever those folks at BMC put out with some sweetness to it.

mltobin, Jul 04, 2009
3.65/5  rDev 0%

A dark yellow body that becomes slightly orange in the middle. The head is large and very airy at first, but fades very rapidly, without leaving anything at all behind.

The smell is pretty interesting. A good scent of peach is in there, with a lot of wheat behind it. Sourness is also apparent. In the aroma, the peach is probably the dominant characteristic.

The flavor is made up of the same components as the aroma, but in different magnitudes. The strongest flavors are probably the standard-berliner weiss sourness and then a good wheat backbone. Beneath the sourness, and somewhat blending with it, is the peach concentrate flavor. I swear there is a touch of banana flavor in there from the yeast, but that could just be my imagination. Overall, a decent punch of wild yeast sourness mixed with a good wheat base and a splash of peach concentrate.

The mouthfeel is just a touch puckering and very highly carbonated. It still retains a moderate body.

This isn't anything amazing, but it is a pretty solid, drinkable beer.

Hojaminbag, Jul 03, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Four pack purchased and shared with friends over dinner this week. Also had a chance to sample this beer at the ACBF and needless to say it stood out as one of the few examples of its style. Thought I'd give it another try.

Appearance-An aggressive pour into my New Belgium snifter yields minimal bleached white head, 1/4 finger or so maximum. The head almost immediately fades to a minimal ring around the edges of the glass with almost no lacing present as I drink the beer. The color is about what I would expect for the style, a pale haystack yellow that retains a slight bit of cloudiness as well. Not an overly impressive look but, on the whole, appropriate for the style.

Smell-I was expecting a much more assertive smell from a full glass of this beer, but am surprised by a fairly muted whiff that contains a fair amount of lactic tartness. Following the tartness, I catch the scent of grains and, unsurprisingly, peaches on the back. Not a bad small, but I guess I was expecting more in the peaches and citrus department.

Taste-Initially greeted by by a fairly strong tartness that overpowers some of the other flavors of the beer. Not nearly as tart as some of the examples I've had in the gueuze department, but fairly dominant nonetheless, though it faded somewhat as the beer warmed and my tongue adjusted. Following the intial tartness, many of the fruitier notes come into play. I first of course catch the taste of fresh peaches, followed closely thereafter by lemony/citrusy notes and mild hints of grain. Closed out with some slight saltiness that caught me a bit offguard on the way out.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability-Recognizing again that this is a neo-berliner weiss, the mouthfeel is fairly thin as consistent with the style though the beer was not as heavily carbonated as I was expecting. A touch on the watery side for my taste, but again fairly in line with the style. Drinkability was very good for this beer, with the tartness/fruitness and slight saltiness keeping me coming back for more. Certainly a nice thirst quencher on a summer evening.

Overall, if you're looking for an interesting take on a fairly difficult to find style, I'd say go for it. I enjoyed this beer for what it was but think that on the whole I'll stick with the gueuze when looking for a tart thirst quencher.

boatshoes, Jul 01, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Bottle Pours a clear straw color with a small white head. The head fades fairly quickly. Produces decent lacing. Has a sour fruity aroma. Has a decent carbonation. The flavor is on the sour side. Has a decent lemon, peach taste to it. Has a dry texture like a tart lemonade. A light body. The finish is strong and tart. Lingering aftertaste is not bad.

Birdiebeagle, Jul 01, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

If there is a fault to this beer, it's that it doesn't come standard in six ounce flutes. Both hard to take down and a total delight, this is a cerebral beer that lights an MRI orange and green. It's a thoughtful and thought-inducing beer that tastes like decent Champagne and over-marinated ceviche. Tart as all get out with the taste of granny smith apples, a hint of coconut, and yeah peach, it finishes grainy like any good weiss should. Truth is it's likely too sour for most anyone, reminiscent of tame Lambic. But what I love is the interaction of wheaty malt, citrusy hops, and dry white peaches. You don't drink a lot of this, but what you do is more than beer. It's a message, maybe even propaganda. One you learn from, accept, but don't have the freedom to question.

ngandhi, Jul 01, 2009
3.65/5  rDev 0%

Pours like a dark lemonade or very light straw with an ever so slight peach tinge and general mild cloudiness. Pours with a spritzy white head that dissipates quickly, but generally normal for a Berliner.

Aromas of lemon, peaches, and a hint of musty hops. The peach adds a bit of complexity to the aroma, but obviously anything would stick out like a sore thumb in this style. Flavor is tart and lemony with a growing peach goodness as I drink it. Barely detectable level of Euro hops and a very dry finish. The peach is a nice touch though this is pretty close to a straight Berliner Weissbier... it does not add as much as might be expected in the style, as it is traditional to sometimes add a sweet fruit syrup to take the lactic bite down a notch. Nice flavor with a subtle peach twist. Light body with prickly carbonation.

I love a nice Berliner Weiss straight or with syrup, and this one is pretty good. It is quite dry, and not as crisp or balanced as I would want for such a low ABV session beer. This should scream out "drink another!" but it doesn't.

vacax, Jun 30, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +20%

Bought a 4 pack of bottles. Poured into a Dogfishhead pint glass, and sat upon a Dogfishhead coaster. (Yes, I am that corny.)

Appearance: Very light, clear. Looks like a pinot grigio, but with carbonation and a delicate, white head.

Taste: Awesome. Not as peachy as I was expecting, but it made for a more enjoyable beer. You can sort of taste the peach, but really more of a sour apple. This does not taste like beer, or any beer i've had before.

Mouthfeel: This is what makes this beer. It is so tart it's actually sour, and makes your lips pucker as if you're suking on a sour candy. Which brings me to:

Drinkability: Because of the sour apple/ candy taste of this beer, each sip demands another. I finish my first beer before I realize it, and the other 3 soon after. I have never had a beer that intrigued me so much after each sip. To further elaborate, each sip made me smile!

I was not expecting to enjoy this beer as much as I did. I am a really big fan of Dogfish Head's brewery, and (most of) their beers, but generally I am not into really fruit-forward beers. For example, DFH's Black and Blue is a truly wonderful beer, but not my cup of tea because it is just too fruity. This beer is not a one-dimensional peach beer, it is instead it's own truly complex style of beer. I am not reviewing this beer while I drink it unfortunately, but I have purchased a 4 pack of these 3 of the past 4 nights (Working at the liquor store has it's benefits.) I will be back for more, and I hope that no one else gets to them before I do.

drinkHoppy, Jun 28, 2009
3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

A) Pours with a one finger head. Active, visible carbonation. Color is similar to a white wine with some haze.
S) Peach notes but not robust. Wheaty.
T) Sour. Peach tones. Nutty finish with caramel popcorn.
M) Zesty. Puckering. Light to medium body.
D) Good brew. I would drink another. Just hoped for more peach.

u2carew, Jun 24, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -6%

Bought at Total Wine & More in Glendale AZ. Appearance - liked fizz and fuzz when initially poured into hotel water glass, but head died too quickly. Two minutes later completely flat. Nice summery straw color. Smell - I'm getting playdough...or rice crispies and corn flakes mixed in the same cereal bowl. Slight lemon/lime at the finish of smell. Taste - huge lemon blast on the tongue, like somebody took my weiss beer and dunked a half lemon in it...pucker! Light-bodied, easy drinker. Should have had at lunch when was 106 degrees. Definitely refreshing, possibly a bit too tart. Drinkability - poolside in summer sun, yeah sure, why not. Do it again, maybe, but have others that prefer in similar style.

lynchmob9, Jun 23, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

12 oz. bottle, finally arrived in CA,

A: Pours a hazy yellow, finger and a half head, great retention considering the style.

S: Lemon zest, peach, and an interesting note of peanut butter.

T: Major lemon and lactic acid, the peach is not as evident as I thought it would be, it's a really minor note. Nuts and mild funk on the back end. A complex, tasty brew.

M: Great acidity with perfect balance - not too much or too little acid. Light-bodied and spritzy, very refreshing.

D: This is a very easy beer to drink and to get into. Light in body, but complex in flavour it would make a great summer refresher. Reminds me a bit of kombucha, except there's booze in it.

Halcyondays, Jun 20, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +9%

Overall I solid sour beer and one of the best wheat based I have had to date.

appearance: golden and not fruit beer looking. I was suprised.

smell: very subtle tart fruit peach smell, not much

taste: very sour and plesant. The sourness dominates that subtle peach flavor

mouthfeel: high carbonation and drinks thin

drinkability: a nice easy drinking sour. never had this style so it;s hard to compare. Liked it though

CampusCrew, Jun 20, 2009