Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

12oz. bottle served cold in a chalice.

Pours a pale cloudy yellow-white color like white wine. It has a thin layer of white head that wanes immediately leaving a ring around the outside.

Aroma is sweet and tart like peaches, green grapes, and honey.

Flavor is sweet and slightly tart up front with a nice sour kick towards the middle. It finishes pretty dry almost like a brut champagne. The peaches and tart green apple add a really interesting character to the beer.

Mouthfeel is light in body but heavy in carbonation. I prefer the opposite but it works for this type of beer. Drinkability is going to be limited by the sourness, carbonation, and dry finish.

Overall it's better than I expected. More sour too. In a day when sours are all the rage, I would expect this one to do better on BA. It's underrated if you ask me.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

On tap Baileys Taproom, 20 oz Nonic Stout glass.

Light yellow color, slightly cloudy but still transparent, 2 thumb head.

Strong lemon zest scent, a bit of a bitterness and light scents of grain

Citrus beginning, tart and sour, fruits flavors; apple, lemon, peach, then ends with a nice fresh taste of grain.

Thin mouthfeel and with high carbonation

Great beer for the summer, I enjoyed it on a gray Portland OR afternoon, but I'll remember to have one next time it is hot. "A tart Hefeweizen" Steffie Cheldelin

4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy straw. Thin head with fast dissipation. Decent lacing.

Smell: Sweet apple, lemon and fruit with hints of grain.

Taste: Medium tart with sweet apple and lemon with a slight corn grain finish.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation with a nice dry bite.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable.

I love this beer for summer. It strikes a good balance between sweet, tart and drinkablility.

4.38/5  rDev +20%

This is one of my favorite hot weather beers. Crisp and easy drinking, just enough tartness/sourness and a lovely touch of peach. This finishes clean, I could drink this all day long. I wish this was available all year long.

Between festina and aprihop, i'm a happy clam.

3.38/5  rDev -7.4%

A- Poured into a 16oz tumbler... Light yellowish color with about a 1/4 inch of white bubbly head that recedes somewhat quickly

S- Nothing overpowering. Some fruity citrus aroma

T- Interesting. Not a lot of beer flavor. Very sour tasting with a hint of peach. Unlike any other beer I've ever had

M- Very light bodied. The sour flavor makes your mouth pucker

D- Once you get used to the sour flavor, it's pretty refreshing and easy to drink

CHEERS!

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

12 ounce bottle poured into a Piraat glass.

Pours a very light, cloudy faded yellow with very little head.

Smell is very bitter. Smells like cider, bitter apple, some funk here...yeasty, bready.

Man, that is bitter...and pretty darn good. This beer tastes of bitter apple, sour grapes, tart peaches...like a very refreshing jolly rancher. Malts come through strong, and the flavor is so bitter-sweet...a great sipper, and excellent summer beer.

Overall, this beer is drinkable, and the quality is up there with the best sour beers. I like the light body presented here, as well as the playful mouthfeel and bitter fruitiness.

2.5/5  rDev -31.5%

What started as a potentially bright lemon and peach-infused summer brew turned into a tart, unpleasant experience with Dogfish Head's Festina Pêche. Served in a tall glass from a 12oz bottle, a single item purchase from Greene's on Ponce in Atlanta.

Appearance is very attractive, a bright and cloudy yellow with very little head. As it pours, the aroma of the tart citrus flavors rise from the glass -- promising something of a bubbly, vibrant experience. A very mild barley / wheat note comes from it, but the acidic aromatics dominate.

Once the first sip had been taken, it went downhill. Mouthfeel is syrupy and lightly carbonated, somewhat watery but with a bit of bubble later on. It does have a velvety feel that's not entirely unpleasant when sipped on a deeper level, but mixing the lemon / peach concentrate with any form of quaff against the brew results in an off-putting backwash of biting citrus potency.

Flavor, however, is this brew's major bane. Combined with the syrupy texture and the light carbonation, the overall sensation with Festina Pêche feels like drinking a very poor infusion of fruit concentrate and dusty, flat light beer that's been haphazardly stirred together. It has a pungent shot after each taste, leaning so hard on the tartness that it almost rustles up the urge to pucker lips. After three or four sips and trying to "adjust" to the overly sour bite, it was time to surrender.

Dogfish Head's brews are among my favorites, especially their crowd-pleaser Indian Brown. However, the Festina Pêche, though creative and quite different, is a face-scrunching, tart experience that won't be revisited.

4.88/5  rDev +33.7%

This is one of my favorite beers of all time.

Pours a murky yellow with a white head.

Acidic like lemonade with unripe peaches and a certain creaminess that's wonderful. Try it on a hot day and you'll never go back.

I wish this were available in my state, it is the ultimate summer beer. I'm not sure why this doesn't get higher reviews.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Very interesting. I want to give DFH lots of creativity points for doing this, although admittedly this is my first Berliner Weissbier. Much different than anything I've ever had from an American brewery.

The description of a tart wheat beer is spot on. The appearance is a hazy golden color, and the beer is interestingly carbonated. I got almost no head or lacing. The beer seemed highly carbonated, though, and this mostly came through in the flavor and mouthfeel. There is a mellow taste of peach there but for me the more dominant flavors were the tartness and the wheat.

This is something I'm very glad to have tried and would have again, but not sure how soon. The ABV makes it drinkable, but I haven't had any experience with tart beers at all, so I'm not sure I could drink multiple. Initially I didn't like the beer, but after I took a few more sips and got used to the flavor profiles, I became more intrigued and kept drinking. It definitely has a pretty refreshing aftertaste and feel to it. If and probably when I try some again, I would like to do so in the middle of a hot afternoon.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a strange lemonade color with a peachy tinge to it. Appears hazy and has a very small, quickly receding head.

Smells like a peach Jolly Rancher with some hints of fresh hay in a barn. I get the impression from the smell that this might be pretty tart.

Yep. This is definitely a tart brew, tastes just like fresh squeezed lemonade with out any lemon taste. Weird. The lemon just never shows up. There is however, a nice mellowed peach flavor that subs in nicely. Tart without being really sweet and insanely dry on the finish.

I don't really know what to think here. I believe that this may be my first Berliner Weiss, I like it and I am enjoying it. I would like it again, I just don't know how often. Mmmmm. Gets a solid 3.5

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

Had on tap at the Shep.

My first pint of this was a real kick in the teeth! I'd never had a beer so cloyinly tart--I really warmed up to it, though.

Pours a totally transparent light yellow color with a small white head. Lacing was nice. Smells tart and heavily of citrus and lemon with a bit of peach that you've got to search out.

On the tongue, the same flavors are prevalent: except, of course, the peach notes finish off beautifully and stick around...

Drinkable!

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy lemon-yellow color with orange hints in the center of the glass. Head is a half-finger of white foam that recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of tart citrus - lemon and orange - with peach undertones that gain steam as the beer warms.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Tart fruit flavors up front with a hint of wheat. The peach flavors really don't come in until near the end of the sip and linger for a bit after a tart ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's a bit on the light side with active carbonation.

Drinkability is very good. Ifinished my glass quickly and could drink this for quite a while on a hot day.

Overall the tartness and peach flavors are done very well. This beer manages to avoid overdoing the fruit additions which cannot be said for many. Worth a shot.

3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

Drank this out of the bottle but shared this with a friend who poured it into a glass. Appearance was a white almost pale yellow. Smell was a burst of peach/apple with a hint of watermelon. Nothing faint about the power of the smell... Almost a little to dominating. The initial first taste of this beer is a trip if you have never tried it before. It reminds me of some type of a sour fruit juice. You get a sweet sugar peach taste mixed with a sour apple backbone... quite odd. You cant taste the alcohol at any point from start to finish. Aftertaste is a sour tart malt that doesnt seem to linger and fades quickly. Mouthful is ok if your into sour taste but may not be enjoyable for those who arent. For me, drinkability would be ok but I wouldnt drink more than a 4 pack in a session though... Overall I could see where alot of people would think this to be way to sour or tart. However, being that you cant taste the alcohol, the rating goes up higher. The taste vs price ratio was a little too much for me on this and I dont think I will be buying another 4 pack anytime soon. This is best to drink when really cold... Seems a little funky once it warms up.

3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a very cloudly, light pee colored yellow with a two finger head that is very fizzy, not very creamy and disappears rather quickly. No head or lacing is left after a minute, just some fizz around the very outside of the top of the beer. Small carbonation can be seen slowly rising up the beer in the glass. Smells of malts and fruits, very acidic, sour fruits. Peach can be found in the scent too. The taste is very sour of fruits, acidic ones. Some peach can be found once the sour leaves the tongue. Malty aftertaste on this one, definately reminds me of some malt liquor I have had in the past. Kind of tastes like a sour kids drink or something. Mouthfeel is a little bit heavier than water with good carbonation that helps balance out the flavor a bit, still can't get over this candy sour taste. Drinkability is not very high for me on this one due to the taste, the sourness tires me out and I would not wanna experience it too often. No other tastes in the beer make up for it.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

12 ounce bottle poured into a tulip. Bottled on 3/24/09 and comes in at 4.5%.

A-Pours a semi-clear watered down yellow with a one finger white head that reduces to a small filmy layer. It has lots of bubbles. It looks like it was brewed with grapes, not grain.

S-It smells a little dusty. It has lots of lagerish qualities with a little bit of acidic fruit. As it wamrs the peach gets bigger, but it is still quite subdued.

T-It is very tart upfront. It is reminiscent of a sweet tart. The peach concentrate is picked up in the back of my mouth, but the tart flavor dominates. It finishes very dry. After a few sips a grainy lager taste becomes more apparent and becomes part of the aftertaste. The aftertaste also starts tasting like a fruity Sauvignon Blanc. The peach flavor only stands out after my tongue has gotten used to all of the tart notes.

M-Lighter bodied, but not too watery. It is tart, dry, and crisp.

D-I found it worked fairly good as a palate cleanser after a few IPAs, but I would not want more than one.

Not bad, not great. I would rather spend the cash on a bottle of 1809.

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

Almost white, this one looks like a traditional macro beer the way it fizzes. It definitely looks watery and--appropriately for the style--it doesn't appear to pack a punch. Difficult to judge relative to its style counterparts (because I'm unfamiliar with any other beers of this style), it really doesn't look like much of a beer.

The smells is quite good--definitely a strong whiff of peach concentrate. The acidic odor is unbecoming, largely because it truly tastes so chemical. It's the closest a beer can come to a chemical storage shed. The carbonation helps carry the odor and, again, it's unmistakably peach. Were it not for the synthetic sense of the odor, I'd deem it outright good.

It's a pungent taste, and true to its smell. My rationale for judgement in taste aligns directly with that previously used for smell. It's good, but like a sweet tart...and I don't eat a lot of sweet tarts. Like such a candy, the neatest and most worthy quality about it is the feel in your mouth. The excellent carbonation nicely contributes to the tang. Now that I think about it, this is Beer Tang.

This beverage really does have its place and time. Summer, for example, sharing novel beers with friends might be an ideal such setting. It's too tart to pound, or even enjoy regularly, but it's such a unique production that you really want to have it in any versatile collection...typical Dogfish excellence...this time on the weak and kinda girly side of the spectrum.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Presentation: Nice 12oz brown pop top bottle with typical DFH label

Appearance: Hazy light golden beer with a medium white cap which soon fades to a thin, soapy film

Smell: TART fresh peach juice, light sugar notes...very natural, not at all "fake" like many fruit beers are

Taste: Tart white wine (citrus fruit) flavors with a nice tart peach flavor (almost like a good Washington state riesling) on the finish

Mouthfeel: Light and refreshing

Drinkability: Very high

Conclusion: Beautiful...fruit...beer...

2.48/5  rDev -32.1%

pours cloudy yellowish gold with no head and left no lacing

smells very fruity reminds me of some wine

taste is where this one lost me - way to sour imo
thats all i get sour fruit no wheat?

mouthfeel was light and with little carbonation

drinkability is not good - i will have to push these onto someone else - not my cup of tea

3.03/5  rDev -17%

Appearance: Very light yellow with a foamy white head.

Smell: Lemon rind, white peach, sourness.

Taste: Tart white peach with a light wheat finish. If there were a peach sour patch kid gummy, this is what it would taste like. Pretty nice for the berliner-weiss style.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied and refreshing. Semi tart and sour.

Drinkability: I'd have to be in the mood for a beer like this, but I could only have 1 or 2 at the most.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Review on tap in Philly.

Here is the thing with this beer. I have bought 4 packs before where two bottles are great and two awful. I think this is DF last great quality control problem.

A: Very clear looking golden color with a touch of haze. A half finger of white head that lasts a fairly long time.

S: A little bit of adjuncty peach with just a touch of tartness. Overall I think the style lacks on nose though.

T: Again with a bad bottle there is no tartness which is the key to this beer. On tap I got quite a bit but not as much as some bottles. Were not talking Cantillon tart but nice enough for something you can pick up on the reg. The peaches are there but working in the background.

M: Very nice and light as it should be.

D: While the ABV is higher than it should be for the style I can still drink a ton of this and have at certain places. The inconsistency in the bottles really hurts this beers average IMO. Which is really a shame since this is probably most peoples first taste of the style. Nothing beats this beer on a hot day though.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A- Very pale yellow. Also cloudy, minimal head.

S- Nothing distinct at all.

T- Interesting. I never had a Berliner Weisse before. Tart like unsweetened lemonade. The peach flavor is barely noticeable. This is a great summer beer thirst quenching.

M- Light and refreshing.

D- Very drinkable, a great beer for a hot summer day.

1.88/5  rDev -48.5%

I had this once in bottles and figured it might have just been an out of date bottle. I decided to give it a go on tap at a respectable beer bar. I ordered it and it poured a very clear light yellow (reminded me a bid of budweiser in color/clarity) with a fluffy white head.

The smell was like peach boone's farm, only possibly slightly more acidic/tart on the nose. No beer smell whatsoever.

Taste: Hits the tongue like a bulldozer with the biting tartness. The only noticable flavor is the overwhelming tart peachness. There's no balance whatsoever. Again this is like some more sour verson of a boone's farm or something. There's almost no wheat flavor or aroma here. The only thing that keeps this from getting a 1 is that I know it is supposed to taste this way in some madman at DFH's mind.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: I almost drain poured this and ordered something else. It almost tasted like an infected saison or something. I choked it down, but this is going to keep me from being adventurous with DFH beers for at least 6 months. It hit the tongue, throat and stomach with all the finesse of a piano falling off the roof. While it did pass my gulp test for drinkability it was only because I was gulping it as fast as I could to finish it and move onto something better.

Side rant: If Sam Adams is going to catch hate for using extracts in their beer instead of real fruit, I have to heap some on DFH as well. A little bit of peach in a wheat beer could have been refreshing and enjoyable. Instead this is a peach bomb that I can't believe made it out of the brewpub.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

A great attempt at the style, even if it isn't a classic. But then, Dogfish always has to put their spin on things, don't they?

Poured a rich, creamy, very white head which retained fairly long. The beer itself was quite flat, but that was to be expected. The nose is very easy going and is mostly of the slightly tart flavor you will find in the beer, with the peach laying in the background.

The taste is even, and the sour is prevalent. Mouthfeel is very light, as I assume it was intended to be. It almost tastes as a "real beer" should, but then has this slightly "off" flavor to it. Don't get me wrong, its very pleasant, and exceedingly drinkable. Great summer BBQ beer when it is like 100 degrees out, not to mention I could throw back about ten of these and still have my senses about me.

The peach is neither sweet, not overbearing, and I like that. Just rides along in the backseat occasionally reminding you that its there.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

This one has been aged 1 year. Pours a hazy medium yellow color with a rapidly diminishing white head. Leaves only a thin collar upon settling.

Nose is pretty simplistic. It's lemony, tart and acidic with bit of peaches. The peach aroma seems to be more faint after aging.

Taste is peachy and acidicly sour. Wonderful tasting beverage, I think the year in the cellar did this beer quite well. Refreshingly tart, I wish there were more berliner-weiss beers to compare to, but it compares favorably to 1809, although Weihenstephaner's version is better. I am enjoying this much more than I remember last year when I had it fresh. If you like sours without much sweetness, give this one a try.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a cloudy ginger ale looking color. Poured a very fizzy white heading but ended up looking flater than flat.

Smell is yeasty but yet somewhat sour. A very subtle aroma of pale and wheat malts and the slightest aroma of peach.

Taste is ridiculously sour but I managed. A wheat malt is present but it is killed by the tartness of this beer.

Mouth is lightly bodied with good carbonation but a massive lingering tartness stays very long after this is finished.

Drink a bit too sour for a good session beer hell even for a tasting but I guess it is worth a try.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery