Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
2.48/5  rDev -32.1%

left in my friend evil jay's fridge for me by his father in law

very sour with the peach kiss at the end. extreamley dry, not the best product from dogfish head. i dont ever want anouther one of these, this is by far the most sour beer i have ever had. the mouthfeal is like sucking on a lemon, your mouth instently puckers.

Cloudy yellow with initial carbonation that dissipates quickly. Lemon juice aroma with peach, obvious by reading the bottle. Get ready for the peach attack, it latches on the tongue and doesn't let go. A beautifully experimental beer that seems more like a fruit juice than an alcoholic drink. Wonderful for afternoon drinking in the summer time, a real treat. Light bodied, ultra sweet, and zest make for a truly original beer.

4.28/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

had on tap at winking lizard canton, OH in its own very attractive signature glass.

A- hazy unfiltered light dusty golden lemon yellow with a small short lived soapy white head.

S- wheaty light aroma with peaches n cream, canned peach syrup. all about the peach.

T- very tart yeast flavors combined with a supernatural peach taste. nice fresh under ripe peach taste, meaty wheat and pale barley flavors as well. excellent combination of flavors with the lactobac and the peach.

MF- fizzy, menthol cool, refreshing, light body with a powdery wheat feel and a criso clean finish.

D- supreme drinkability, the best fruit flavored beer i've ever tasted, minus 1/2 point cuz its a real heart-burner.

4.28/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I guarantee half the folks rating this beer probably have no freakin' clue what a berliner weiss is supposed to taste like and are not prepared for the level of tartness. Like them, I too hated this brew the first time I tasted it. Was totally "expecting" something else. Handed the rest off to my gf. Then, it suddenly began to grow on me and I was craving a second taste. It's now one of my go-to beers on hot days because it's so damn refreshing and light.

A: pours like champagne, cloudy straw color with off white head that peaces out rather quickly.

S: tangy lemon sweetness, I never get much of the peach, but a presume it accounts for some of the sweetness.'

T: seriously tart and tangy, citrus lemon, slightly wheaty.

M: effervescent (high carbonation), tingly, but very light

D: I could prolly drink a sixtel of this sh*t on a hot summer day. abv is low. refreshing as all hell.

People, understand what a berliner weiss is before you start knocking down the rating of this otherwise quality beer.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

12oz Bottle
$9.99 4-Pack
Route 6 Liquors

Festina Peche is a straw golden beer with a slight haze. This beer has an incredibly light golden body. A fizzy dishwater head grew quickly to one finger on the pour and fell even faster down to absolutely nothing. There is not even a hint of head on this beer. A lot of tiny carbonation bubbles burst to the surface and the only thing I see where the head should be is bursting bubbles. The look of this beer is disappointing to say the least. Once the carbonation settles down this beer looks like white grape juice.

The lack of head detracts from the aroma but overall this does smell like a refreshing beer. Peach is right upfront and dominates throughout. There's a slight mustiness that goes along with that peach that I enjoy. The peach is mildly sweet at first before sliding into a tart note. A solid wheaty twang pops up here and there. I like the aroma of this beer but there's just far too much peach involved. The more I smell the more I'm reminded of those jelly peach ring candies.

Everything comes together much better in the flavor then what I've come across so far. The tartness hits right up front and continues through mid palate. Wheat twang and slightly sweeter peach qualities come about when the tartness begins to fade. The sweet and sour play off each other nicely and combine for a refreshing drink.

I really enjoyed the mouthfeel right off the bat but when I got about half my through the glass the aggressive carbonation became a little too much and I could feel it giving my tongue a lashing. The tartness is mild leaves some pucker on the tongue.

Drinkability is what makes this beer. Each sip leaves me wanting another on hot nights like tonight. The tartness is refreshing and enjoyable.

I really enjoy some of Dogfish Head's beer and some of them I feel are overdone, Festina Peche, being an example of the latter. I think there's just too much peach in this beer. In smaller amounts it would be very enjoyable but as is it tastes like peach juice at certain times.

1.48/5  rDev -59.5%

I am slightly addicted to Dogfish Head, so I even had to try this one.

The beer pours out with a color of orange, very cloudy and swampy. No head at all, obviously.

Yeasty peach scent rises up really strong. Hints of corn and wheat.

The taste was not good at all. I took a sip and immediately wanted to spit it out. This is a watery carbonated peach juice that is sitting in the pantry until three days after its expiration date. This is like mixing cheap champagne with peach juice.

The feel is like flat soda, lightly carbonated. Faygo that has been sitting in the fridge, opened for the last two months.

Obviously, I didn't like it. I can drink some of these fringe malt beverages and not hate them, but this was just sour.

2.33/5  rDev -36.2%

Pours a murky yellow color with a quick fading white head. Aroma is malty and grassy with just a faint hint of citrus fruit. The beer tastes very tart and tangy with lemons and peaches and a touch of wheaty malt. Very acidic and tart which masks anything else the beer may have going for it. Nice attempt at something different but this just isn't good.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours an oddly fizzy pale yellow, with slight cloudiness and a decent fizzy white head that dissipates very quickly. Nose is some peach and some slight wheat. Taste is suprisingly tart with some peach juiciness and some very slight wheat. Mouthfeel is tart and very dry. Drinkability is good for the tartness, but not what it should be for a summer slammer. An ok brew, but nothing really incredible. Interesting thats for sure, reminds me a bit of calabaza blanca, with the whole tart yet refreshing kind of spritzery feel. Try some, it might be your bag, baby, yeah!

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a pale lemon color with a small 1 finger head.

Smells tart with a nice peach aroma. Smells nice.

Mouth puckering, sour, tart, refreshing, like a peach champagne.

Feels effervescent, dry, & cloying.

Don't really enjoy the style, although I'm glad I tried this. One bottle was enough for me.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Very pale, cloudy, straw color with fizzy head that quickly dissipates leaving no lace.

S: Sour, tart, lactic acid, peaches, pale malt, no discernible hop presence.

T: Every time I get this beer I forget how delicious it is, but also how sour it really is. This hits you with an instant puckered, mouth watering, sourness., but beautifully balanced with a sweet peach presence at the end. I really like this beer and drink it often (when I can find it) in the summer time.

M: Pretty thin, highly carbed, makes your mouth water.

D: High on a hot day.

Some people like it, others don't, but give this one a try.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Moderately cloudy, yellowish champagne color... a little darker than. What little head there was quickly dissipated. Moderate carbonation. Not to prettiest beer I've seen, but here we go.

There's a tangy and sweet; champagne-like smell. A little syrupy. Nice, but not a strong smell overall. Fruity, peach taste; again, tangy, but not too sour. It's really almost like I'm drinking champagne at this point. There's a very slight saltiness on the back and sides of the tongue as it goes down. Unexpected but pleasant. Nothing new comes out as it warms a bit.

This beer is dry and light, but far from watery. Tingly carbonation. Very refreshing. Not my favorite, overall, but a great summer beer. Could be enjoyed in the blistering noon heat, or in cooler summer nights. I hope to see this beer next year.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Had this on-tap at Frisco Grille in Columbia, MD.

The beer poured a hazy straw-yellow with a thin white head into a pint glass. I detected a slight peach aroma. The taste was very tart and fizzy, with peach/lemon flavors at the forefront. All together a light and refreshing weissbier, great for a hot summer's day.

This is a curious one, a beer 'brewed with peach concentrate', a Berliner Weisse style. This is a very rare style (only two breweries in all of Berlin still produce it!) characterized bi intense tartness and it can be compared to a Flemish Sour. Poured off the tap at American Flatbread (thanks Diora!) a hazy golden yellow. Aromas are wheat, lemon and some peach notes underneath. Flavors burst forth, very crisp and tart, lemons, green grasses, lemon basil, semi-sweet, notably sour but not overly so as some Flemish are. Reminds me of sour, green apples. Light body and fairly easy to drink. Sharp but on the money. Unique summer offering in a nearly saturated market, bravo!

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

12oz single bottle purchased for $2.20 from Wine Emporium in Boston. Bottled in May 2008, consumed in July 2008. Pours a very pale colour, virtually white when held up to light - more white than a typical Belgian wit. Zero head - virtually flat. Weak aroma with a hint of peach - which I doubt I'd place if not for the name. First taste is sour initially, quickly giving way to not much of anything. Not complex nor enjoyable.

3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer pours a cloudy pale orange color. The head is small and recedes quickly into nothing. The aroma is of peach with a hint of sourness. The taste is more balance than the aroma. It is quite sour, but mellowed out by the peach. The aftertaste vanishes quickly which is unlike any other Berliner Weiss I have had. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this is a decent beer. As far as Berliner Weiss go there are better ones out there, but this is still drinkable.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Pale golden yellow pour with a thin head.

Smells like a combination of tart citrus fruits. Mainly peach and green apple....a real sweet and sour delight.

Carbonation is fairly high and the refreshing factor is incredible. I'm a big Rodenbach Grand Cru fan so sour doesn't overwhelm me at all. Its just nice to enjoy the sourness in a light Berliner Weiss style instead of a Belgian Sour.

I keep coming back to this seasonal from Dogfish Head and believe I will continue to do so.

2.2/5  rDev -39.7%

No head, cloudy grapefruit color. Looks kinda cool.

No smell for me, hope it tastes better than it smells.

Like drinking rotten peaches. Drain pour

Bitter peach concentrate.

I was wrong about this beer, just as obi wan was wrong about anakin. Move along

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours cloudy pale straw yellow with absolutely no head whatsoever, and only the slightest carbonation.

Aroma is pale malt, honey and lemon, along with grassy citrus fruit with hints of peach.

Taste is incredibly tart then sour green apple and lemon. Wow. This is something different, no doubt about it. Upon further inspection it is wheaty and grainy with no hop presence whatsoever. Sugary sweetness becomes apparent after the initial shock wears off.

Mouthfeel is light bodied.

A peach beer that doesn't taste like peach. I've never heard of this style, but from what I read it appears to be spot on. However, this style appears to be an acquired taste as I don't find myself wanting to pick this up again in the near future. Go get this if you are a fan of the style, or enjoy sour beers in general.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance- It is a super cloudy beer that looks yellow in some light and more orange in others. The head was thin but still pulled off a nice lace. Lots of little carbonation bubbles adding to the haziness.

Smell- Super fruity and a little wine like.

Taste- It was complex it wasn't like it was just peach there were some nice citrus tones and the peach flavor was not over sweet.

Mouthfeel. Somewhat thin but easy to drink.

Drinkability- It is nice a change up and very refreshing.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured a cloudy and dirty yellow with hints of orange, no head to speak of.

The smell has a light bit of yeast and citrusy fruit with a touch of pepper.

Flavor is very tart and citrusy with hints of peach and lime and a bit wheat and yeast.

Mouthfeel is light and farily carbonated with a bit of a dry finish.

Not a style I'm familiar with, but it fits the description of the style dead on, so I have to assume its a good example of the style. Light and refreshing a decent drink for summer.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

poured 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass
a-pors a hazy tranlucent yellow with a thin head that dissipates quickly, no lacing.
s-fruity sweet with peach accents
t-the peach comes through clearly, but not overly sweet. There is a peachy aftertaste.
m&d-a thin, heavily carbonated brew. I drank this on a hot summer day and it went down easily
overall-An interesting beer that I did not like at first but it did grow on me. I give DFH credit for trying something different, but I do not think I will purchase this again.

2.75/5  rDev -24.7%

Poured cloudy pale gold with 1/2" head that quickly dissipated as dictated by style. No lacing to speak of. Smells of fruit--more citrus than peach--, some light spice as well. Sour strong fruit taste, more citrus-orange, lemon, grapefruit--than peach. I got a bit of very sour peach a couple of times. Nothing else that I could taste. Mouthfeel was pretty dry with fizzy carbonation, and left me with a bit of a pucker.

Not much to look at, no great taste, and too sweet to be refreshing. If this is a top example of this style I'll be steering clear in the future. I did try to adjust my score as the description of this style lines up pretty well with this beer.

3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Pours a hazy light goldenrod yellow, fizzy head that goes away completly within 30 seconds. Effervescent, think alka-seltzer, bubbling from the center of the glass.

Smells of sour peach cobbler, not so much sweet as the baked grain that is part of it. Get that co2 tingle in my nose when I bury it in there. Very minimally scented.

Tastes sour right off the bat, not unpleasent actually in a slightly refreshing sort of way, granny smith. Baked grain flavor is on its tail, no hopping detected.

Mouthfeel is kind of minimal but does have some body to it, fizzy carbonation is definately a put off. Glad it was only a four pack.

Pale and hazy lemon yellow tone. Thick white head. Lace is moderate. Nose has got a little peach and some sour apple on it as well. Tart and acidic from the start. Sour green apples come to mind. Some lemon drop nuances come and go. Sparkling carbonation. Medium body. Really not overly acidic or mouthpuckering. This is a pretty good drinker. Not much peach in the flavor, but good nonetheless. Not a style I'm very familiar with, but I like this one pretty good.

2.42/5  rDev -33.7%

12oz poured into Duvel glass. Soda-like heads dissapears before it starts. The color was a murky off-brown, kind of like turbid water with rust deposits.

Peach smell? Nowhere to be found but the tartness does go to the nose

Again was looking for peaches but it was more absent in the taste than in the nose. Tartness hits upfront and was very abrasive. Compared to other Berliner-wiess's this part was a let-down. Dry with a husk-like taste in the end.

An subpar sour beer with a low drinkability. There are better sours/summer wheats to be had than this one. Not accustomed to this coming from DFH.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery