Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle courtesy of SS: Poured a cloudy bright yellow color beer with a big huge pure white foamy head with good retention. Aroma of tart malt with a hint of fruit sweetness. Taste is quite tart but not up to a lambic level with some light fruit sweetness. Body is about average with some great carbonation. I’m not sure what to make of this one or really to expect since I know so very little of the style. I sure couldn’t have tell there was peach in there and would have loved more tartness but that just me.

Phyl21ca, Sep 07, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

My first time trying this style, and I admit peach is a bit of a gamble. This beer pours a very cloudy pale yellow, spicy esters in the aroma reminds you immediately of a wheat ale and lots of lemons. Taste is extremely tart with lots of fruit, mostly citrus, showing through, but not much in the way of peach. Mouthfeel is a bit spicy with a nice acidic kick before the beer finishes very dry.

I was pleased with this beer, a very nice changeup to the hoppier IPAs I usually frequent, and even a nice turn from my hefe's. I wish the peach were a little more assertive, but a very nice beer.

saintwarrick, Sep 06, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a murky pineapple juice color with no head or lacing. Smells a little funky with some citrus. Taste is very tart. Sour, some citrus and a bit of peach. Thin in the mouth with little carbonation. Good drinkability but I wouldnt be able to do more than one of these as a tart treat.

franksnbeans, Sep 05, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

I think this is my first beer of this style, and I really enjoyed it. A perfect mix of tartness, fruitiness, and wheat elements for a summer brew. I didn't find it particularly peachy, though - more sort of generic fruit flavours on top of gueuze-like sourness. Good colour - looks like a wheat beer but slightly orange or pink. Short-lived, dry aftertaste.

Wish I'd had more of this back in June and July!

crwills, Sep 04, 2007
1.95/5  rDev -46.6%

Pours a cloudy golden straw color with an average pure white head. The smell is of rust, concentrated lemon juice. green apples, not all that appealing. The taste is of concentrated lemon juice and soda water, extremely unripe peach, though not positive as I never had what I assume might be a green peach. Just an overall puckering taste with no relief. I really don't taste any peach, just an overpowering lemon flavor. The feel is light and very fizzy. The sourness drys the mouth and is cloying. I actually contemplated drinking a Bud to offset these flavors. This is my first try at this style but I don't enjoy it.

Gmann, Sep 01, 2007
3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

A: Opaque pale/straw yellow with a decent size head that retains as a 1/4 inch layer. Average lacing, but better than most fruit infused brews.
S: Tartish and earthy up front with some apple and peach scents ruling the nose. Some yeasty scents as well.
T: TART green apple up front giving way to TART peach flavors in there. I didn't expect this level of tartness, most likely due to my inexperience with the style. Once I got over the tartness some nice apple and peach flavors come through melding with some yeasty and slight earthy flavors. A somewhat wheat-ish flavor ends the sip. The peach wasn't overbearing, but damn was the tartness.
MF: Light and semi dry.
Overall: Interesting to say the least, this is a unique summertime brew. Can I say TART again?

Illinick, Aug 31, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

12oz single from Rileys

appearance: pours into la chouffe tulip glass....pale straw-golden body with a light beige froth...very light and cloudy appearance

smell: grainy, tart peach, lemon juice, malt dominated, tart and sugary

taste: yikes - this is not what i thought this beer was going to be...this is a straight injection of sweet tarts and smarties - as candie-like as any beer i have had....tart and sour peach covered in sugar, lemon, light malt body, grain, vinegar traits...interesting

mouthfeel: tart and light bodied

drinkability: meh

dirtylou, Aug 31, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

thanks to franksnbeans for this treat.

Pours a pale yellow color, like pineapple juice and slightly opaque. Little bit of foam on this one but retains a nice ring. The aroma is of malt, and tart, citrus fruits. I get lemon, pineapple, apple, peaches, a little spice and a funkiness. The taste is quite interesting to say the least. It has a tart start but a sweet peach finish. The mouthfeel is thin but that makes this refreshing. I’m glad I got to try this one. I like it, I’m just not sure if I would seek this out again.

seaoflament, Aug 30, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

Poured from 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Rough pour. Doesn't have a lot of head to it, rolled this bottle before the pour to rouse the yeast, and judging from the bottle, it worked well. Cloudy, minimal head, no lacing.

Smell- Wheaty, a hint of brett, and of course, Peaches, and lots of them. This has to be about the peachiest drink I've smelled. The berliner weiss sourness comes thru as well though.

Taste- Lactic acid, peaches, and wheat. While that may not sound appetizing, this is a great easy summer drinker. I love a good sour, and there are not enough of this style. The fruit addition would seem untrue to style, but in Germany, I hear they do this with Berliner Weiss all the time.

Mouthfeel- Somewhat sticky sweet, but not too much so. After some time has passed I feel like I've been eating Sweet tarts.

Drinkability- Even after all that sweet and sourness, I still hold the claim that this is a very easy drinker that gets better as it warms up. Finally I shy away from the hard strong brews I usually drink and have something smooth that I can enjoy in a session if necessary.

blakesell, Aug 28, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

This poured a hazy white yellow with a moderate head. The smell is of lemon and of course, the peaches. The lemon dominates in the flavor giving it a light and sweetness that finishes with noted sours hints. Original, and interesting but nothing mind-boggling here either. It's greatest feature is certainly its originality.

Neehan, Aug 27, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -6%

Had this on draft at the Dogfish Head brewery tour. It poured a light straw color with a small off white head.
The aroma was much more subdued than I expected; I guess subconsciously I was thinking I would be tasting a similar brew to the Aprihop, and obviously I was wrong. The smell has very mild yeast and peach, but almost no hop presence or alcohol.
Very tart peach dominates the taste, but even this is subtle and somewhat masked by more earthy tastes like wheat and grass.
The feel was rather refreshing and clean, with a light body and mild carbonation. I'm going to go out on a limb and say I was unprepared to taste this, simply because I am really a rookie to this style. I did enjoy it and hopefully will grow to appreciate it and the style more. Another impressive brew from DH.

sinistrsam, Aug 26, 2007

Pours a lightly turbid pale yellow with a thinnish white head. Aromas are all pretty subtle and are that of unmalted wheat, limestone, traces of pitted fruit and a light barnyard yeast funk. Flavors of underripe peach skin with the appropriate tartness, a light mineral background, tart wheat and a faint grass-like hop. I can certainly see how this is classified as a Berliner Weiss. Tart peach flavors are a nice complement. Light bodied, clean and zesty; a good palate cleanser. It takes me back quite a few years when Nodding Head's Berliner Weiss was flowing at the brew festivals, yet with a nice, tart addition of underripe peach. This has got to be Dogfish's lowest ABV beer, but it reads Sam all over. Good stuff.

crookedhalo, Aug 25, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +20.5%

Pours a very light hazy straw yellow with a frothy white head and soapy lacing.
The nose is of peaches and blue cheese.
The flavor has a subtle amount of peach balanced with a tart cheesiness that is very pleasing.
Very drinkable beer and well made beer.

HumuloneRed, Aug 24, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a cloudy golden orange with little initial head. This fades to nothing very quickly and leaves no lacing. Still, a pretty beer. Smell is all peach nectar with a background of Berliner Weisse sour. Taste is similar, but a bit more sour comes through on the beginning as well as some floral bitterness. After that it is all peach nectar and some slight saltiness. Mouthfeel is a little heavier than I usually like my Berliners, and not quite sour enough either. Still, quite a refreshing and an interesting summertime quaffer

Georgiabeer, Aug 24, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. A clear, pale straw colored beer is poured from the bottle and is topped with a stark white, thin and wispy head of about half finger in size. Disappears at a leisurely pace and forms a level of "smudge" on top of the beer.

Aroma is sour and grainy with some sour diaper, musty, and barn like aromas. This is my first berliner but I dont think it is supposed to smell like a Farmhouse beer.

Pleasantly tart and quite refreshing. Sour lemon rinds and overall sour. Not bad. It is quite tart and sour but that can be a good thing. Absolutely NO peach flavor; concentrate or fresh. That was disappointing.

Lots of carbonation, too much for my liking. This is definitely a summer time beer with the light abv, tart mouthfeel, and refreshing qualities. I don think I will try this again but I am glad I did try this the one time.

SaCkErZ9, Aug 23, 2007
3.08/5  rDev -15.6%

Interesting summer beer from DFH.

Pour was light and straw colored, almost clear with some slight haze. Fluffy white head and nice, steady carbonation.

Smell was some good, some bad. Tart and sour scents and also some wheaty banana. Kind of a rotten peach scent that doesn't appeal to me and lingers throughout.

Taste was also tart. A little banana and spice tie in with typical wheat flavors. Hints of peach sneak through, though barely noticeable.

Mouthfeel is actually somewhat creamy with the high carbonation and remains tart. Light and pretty refreshing.

The flavors are light in this beer so it's also very easy to drink. Not the worst and not the best. At least it's creative.

ncvbc, Aug 21, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +17.8%

had this one tap @ the belgium comes to cooperstown fest not too long ago... and it was fantastic on a hot day, here is my bottle review as I wasn't taking notes (besides mental) that day...

eyes...
straw/lemony hazy yellow, murky-ish (ie not that murky), fizzy white head dissipates quickly, lacing is decent, this is on par for the style.

nose...
slight funk, lemon zest, dry and seltzery, the peach is very hard to detect, like the look this is good for the style

taste etc...
peach comes first for me, then the lemony zeel with a zip of carbonation, finishes dry with a combination of tart and sweet flavors, refreshing ! like fizzy lemonade with a hint of funk and sweetness. simple and to the point, just what tis style calls for.

verdict:
wonderful summer beer, tart and refreshing and without a huge ABV. Beers like this make DFH great. I hope it is made every year, much more enjoyable than their other seasonals imo.

Ego, Aug 21, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +9%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic

Appearance: Cloudy yellowish and slightly brown beer is alive with carbonation. The head is white and full of champagne bubbles that rise up to 1" high. There is no remnant lacing, only a few stragling bubbles.

Smell: Not much peach smell here. I originally though of nectarines and maybe clementine. Sweetness and tartness in the nose. Smells refreshing.

Taste: Tart, and not a whole lot of peach. I guess I expected more of a lambic flavor profile. This is light and refreshing all the way through. Celery and citric acid are strong flavors. There ar no signs of hops and there is a little bit of malt.

Mouthfeel: Plenty of effervescance that makes you believe that you are drinking a Belini. Tangy and tart enough to make you drink on. No alcohol presence in this guy.

Drinkability: Superb. This beer is meant to be consumed en mass. Lots of flavor and easy drinking lead to happy times. Another great step in a new direction of beer by Dogfish Head. Crafting a session beer that is in the vain of the Belini, IMHO. Great job.

Risser09, Aug 21, 2007
3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Nice attempt from an American brewer. Its hard to classify this beer. A sour taste but easy drinking on a hot summer day. Above average but not by much. Then again, there is nothing to compare it to? I wonder if peach fruit would give it a less sour/acidic taste? Only Sam knows!

ImBOBtheBEERguy, Aug 21, 2007
1.95/5  rDev -46.6%

Is this someone’s idea of a joke? Rotten peaches with a kick of dirty feet is not something I prefer in my beer. Sour an nasty, she be.

I should have know by the pour, cider apple yellow fizzy white head.

Cripe, I’m glad I only got 2 bottles of this overpriced ($2.50 a pop) sour peach soda – geez, only 4.5%. I would have kicked myself in the sack for buying this, but I’m no longer that agile.

Vancer, Aug 20, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a light straw color with a bright white head that reduces to a fine layer in my tulip glass.

It smells lightly of banana and cloves, the phenols weissbier yeast create. There is also a slight sour aroma.

The taste is tart with notes of funk. I can't really taste any peach, though. The level of tart and acidity is lower than Belgian sour beers, for comparison. There is also the classic weissbier flavor of wheat malt.

The body is light and fizzy.

An interesting beer. Berliner Weiss is a strange style that takes some getting used to. I wish the peach flavors/aromas were just a touch higher, though, because I don't notice them at all.

Shaw, Aug 20, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Had this beer at the Gaithersburg brew pub about a month ago. Enjoyed it then, so when i got the chance i picked up a few of these.

Cloudy pale yellow color with some very thin head that leave minimal lacing. You get a nice mild peaces smell right off the bat with this one. This is followed by some faint barnyard odors that hint at the tartness that is to come. The taste hits with the tartness right away but it's not lip puckering. It's a nice blend of wheat malt and fruit tartness that makes for a nice drinking summer beer. The peach is always there but never overpowing. Also, can that be possible, DFH at only 4.5%. This just shows that they can brew a great beer without having to go over the top big. A one of a kind beer that is worth seeking out just for it's uniqueness. I enjoyed this one tremondously.

beermanbrian, Aug 19, 2007

Bottled May 24, 2007; Sampled August 2007
Pours with a hazy, yellowish, gold colored body and is topped by a frothy, meringue white head. The aroma is lightly tart, with a solid, wheat like, grainy aroma. The acidity leans towards / accentuates a nice fruitiness; notes of peaches, apricots and orange blossoms are noticeable as part of the fruit component.

Lightly tart, quite light bodied, actually the combination is really quite refreshing. The beer is very dry, yet the peach / fruit flavors are still noticeable. Almost more aromatic than fruit flavored. Lactic acid tasting, which at times is quite dry and bracing. At other times though, the nectar-like fruitiness adds a softness and a perceived sweetness which softens the total effect of this beer. Flavors of citrus-honey, orange blossoms, peaches & apricots all form layers of the tart fruit flavors found in this beer.

This is a really nice brew for the Summer season; light, refreshing, fruity, simplistic at times, it really captures the essence of a hot weather refresher. I could easily have drunk a couple pints of this on this 100°F + day.

Gueuzedude, Aug 18, 2007
4.13/5  rDev +13.2%

Draught @ DFH Rehoboth: This one pours a hazy, straw yellow color. Mine had pretty much no head on it at all. It has an interesting aroma. Sour peaches, some spice, grassiness and maybe a touch of a champagne aroma. You had better like tart offerings if you are going to drink this one. The taste is mainly tart peaches, but not overly puckering. Some spiciness along with it. A very interesting and good beer. It went well with my crabcake sandwich that I had for lunch.

Boto, Aug 18, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a hazy straw gold color with a light thin white head.

The smell is sharp and sour with little sweetness.

The taste is tart with sour apple notes and mild citrus. The finish is very smooth with only slight puckering as a drawback. Finally there is slight sweetness from the malt base.

The mouthfeel is light and smooth very refreshing.

Extremely drinkable but only the bitterness might build after more than two.

SSBrennan, Aug 17, 2007