Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On-tap at Tally Ho in Bethlehem, PA

A: Extremely hazy, yellow, lemonade like color with a thin white head. Looks sort of wit like, but thicker.
S: Very strong aroma of tart, but more sour body of peach and some lemon.
T: This is only beer I have had of this style, so I don't have a basis to compare this to. However, this beer has always struck me being very refreshing and enjoyable, though not necessarily a great "beer". Flavor is dominated by sour/acidic peach flavor on top of a wheat/wit like body with some lemon and earthy flavors. Finish is slightly bitter. Active carbonation over a medium body results in a very clean refreshing beer. Obviously not for everyone, but not necessarily as bad as some make it out to be

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Pours a hazy lemonade-like color. Reminds me of a wit. Cerainly interesting looking.

Aroma of sour peach.

Taste of tart peaches dominate. Not much else to say about this one.

Mouthfeel is light bodied, dry and crisp.

Overall, it is a decent beer. Certainly interesting. Not great, but refreshing on a hot day. If you like something "different"...sort of like a Saison...then it is worth a go.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Cloudy, straw colored body with lots of bubbles but absolutely no head or lacing.

Very tart aroma, citric fruit. A nice amount of yeast comes through but not enough to fully balance the citrus.

The taste is extremely tart, it runs rampant to the point of making you pucker. Not for the faint of heart.

Crisp and very drying mouthfeel.

To style, but not for me. The tartness makes it really hard to get through the pint, but I'm sure some love it.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Pour a lemonade yellow, minimal head or atleast disappears quick.

Tart almost sour smell. Not the sweetness one would expect with this beer's name. Sour apple and sour citrus.

Taste is more tart than sweet. Sweet fruit flavor not noticed up front but detected slightly on the back end. Again tart somewhat sour fruit flavor. Slight malt back.

Lively carbonation, crisp and definitely refreshing.

Very good summer brew. Not my favorite, but on a hot day this may be a darn good choice.

4.93/5  rDev +35.1%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass on a very hot and humid July day in Chicago.

Slightly musty aroma.

Quite tart, "gleeky". Lemonadey, almost astringent. Very refreshing. I wouldn't have guessed that there was peach in it if the label hadn't told me. Tiny bit of fruity sweetness. Bit of horsey funk in nose and mouth --- this beer used some wild yeasts and/or souring bacteria. No hops bitterness. A slightly dry, very pleasant, Germanic hops aftertaste.

I don't seek out light beers or weissbiers, but this is the most enjoyable example that I have encountered. 5 out of 5.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

A. Served on tap into a glass. A nice head appears and disapears slowly. Hazy sickly yellow looking, yet looks appetizing at the same time.

S. Sweet fruits.

T. Unmistakably sour with a bit of a sweet fruit finish. The sour funk is what gets me, I like it, but the fruit flavor seems almost synthetic and is dominated by the sour.

M. Takes a few sips to enjoy this one, a bit light.

D. Good on a hot summer day, but one is enough for me.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

12-ounce bottle poured into my DFH shaped pint glass yields a pale pear juice-colored drink briefly topped by a fizzy shot of white head that starts at a finger and vanishes to zip as I watch, faster than I can type about it. Holy cow! That was impressive! No head. No lace.

Smell is a bit fruity, perhaps with a note of peach.

Wow! Taste is a tart, crisp explosion of fruit that delves into the land of sourness. Tooth-squeaking tart, in need of only a bit more carbonation to be the citrusiest (sic) soda pop ever. Tangy, to say the least, but in a way that would make it just perfect, somewhere, sometime... I just can't imagine when, or where. Bone dry finish.

2.88/5  rDev -21.1%

Yellow color with a well developing, but then quickly diminishing foam. Nose shows some light malts, some funky character and lemon and peach aromas. Flavor is well balanced between the sourness and peach character. Goes down easy. I could see myself craving this once in awhile.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

12 oz bottle poured into traditional pint glass

A - Pours a very cloudy pale banana yellowish-orange color that looks very much like grapefruit juice. Relatively no head and certainly no lacing. Not too attractive.

S - Soft peach accents compliment a spicy coriander and banana scent. Very fruity and attractive to the nose.

T - Starts sweet with plenty of tingly carbonation. Tartness is strong. Coriander spice and tartness combine well. Good banana and peach flavors make up much of the sweetness. Gets more sour as it warms.

M - High carbonation (or is it just really spicy?) with a fairly light body. Still a little tingly at the finish and after.

D - Easy drinking, but maybe a little too tart to consider tipping several back on a hot summer day. Low alcohol, good and unique flavor. Despite its lackluster appearance, I would recommend trying at least one bottle of this.

2.45/5  rDev -32.9%

Festina Peche pours a very pale, lightly hazed, lemon color with a slim head of fizzy white.

Nose is lightly sweet lemon and peachy fruit with a tinge of flowery and earthy musk.

Zing!! Woah, sour, tart lemon peachiness. Light and spritzy with minimal fizzy carbonation.

Not my thing here. Maybe I just wasn't ready for something like this, but it doesn't even taste like beer to me. I may consider trying again, but not for a while.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

On-tap at Raleigh's Flying Saucer in a DFH off-centered pint glass for me to keep. Served a hazy pale orange with a thin head that quickly diminished to nothing. Aroma was some peach and slight pale malts. The taste was an extremely sweet abundance of peach and sweet malt, almost reminiscent of over-sweetened lemonaid. A rush of sourness follows in the finish. The beer is very light and crisp with a bit of carbonation. While this beer may be decent on the back porch on a hot Summer day, it doesn't seem to do as well in a well air-conditioned bar.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

Festina Peche is one of my favorite summer beers. It is great on a hot summer afternoon. The bartender (a newer one ) didn't pour it prefectly, it had almost no head. It's color is almost light straw with a slight hue of orange. The tart aroma welcomes you before your first sip. Low carbonation but astringintly sour and tart, with a slight hint of peachy sweetness. There no hop presence but who need it with it being this tart. The tartness is reminisant of granny smith apples and grapefriut, with a big wheat base. I love this beer but I cant have more than two, because it will upset my stomach.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

On-tap at Tria in Philadelphia

Ordered a pint while taking a break from the summer heat. The body is a hazy yellow and there's a short, white head. The aroma is musty at first, with wine-like sweet peach and bread. The peach is only a slight taste on the palate, with sharp, acidic lemon and sour bread with a touch of white pepper and spice. This is a great

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled from a 12oz bottle in a DFH shaped pint glass.

A - Yellow in color with a haze and very little head. What head there is disappears quickly.

S - Fruity with peach and lemon.

T - Very, very tart and a bit fruity. A lot like a Flemish Red but different as well. Not much actual peach flavor to it. Definitely some wheat flavors coming through.

M - The flavor affects all parts of the mouth from the lips all the way to the throat.

D - This beer is very different but I find it interesting and a worthwhile project. It's not for everyone but my love of Flemish Reds makes me appreciate it a bit. Not sure I could make it a regular though.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle: Aroma is sour lemon and peach off the first sniff. A subtle wheat texture with a more lemon than anything into the scent. Pours a cloudy light yellow with a huge white head that lingers around forever it seems. Taste has a sour acidic taste to it. Definitely similar to the other Berliner Weisse that I've tried. Some wheat characteristics intermingled with an, oh so, light peach texture. Overall, I thought peach was going to be a more substantial contributed to this brew. As a Berliner it lives up to expectations, but I wish there was more of a peach flavor in this brew.

4.65/5  rDev +27.4%

Straw, wheaty gold. Very pale. Initially pours with a full two fingers of head, fizzing like soda and dying out to nothing. Completely hazy.
Smells sour and fruity. Green apple and under-ripe peach, fresh off the tree you pick yourself at the orchard.
The flavor opens up light and airy, with a purely summertime feel. If this isn't refreshing, I don't know what is. The carbonation is effervescent, yet mellow and finely bubbled. Lightly flavored green apple tartness with the essence of peach. The flavors intermingle effortlessly, finishing off with barely a trace of floral hops and refreshing fruity sourness. Excellent, interesting and unusual. Who makes a berliner weisse in regular production? I could drink the four pack on the back stoop in one sitting, easy.

A - Hazy gold color... Head is gone as quick as it came leaving no lace... Lively carbonation continually dances to the top... Lots of fizz...

S - Complex... Wheat... Tart Fruit (peach,apple, lemon)... Citrus hops???

T - Tart peach... Sour apple... Wheat... Lemon... Grain... Salt...

M - Dry, crisp, and tart...

D - Many many great qualities... Unique and and a true gem in the otherwise predictable realm of summer seasonals... This is my favorite summer beer hands down...

2.65/5  rDev -27.4%

Had this on tap at the Moan and Dove. The head of this drink diminished almost immediately when it was handed to me. Pale, murky and dull yellow were the main attributes in the drinks appearance. The aromas had a slight spice to them; an almost herby flavoring. The taste was very sour in a fruity way. Strong lemon flavors. Practically no body or carbonation; I felt I was drinking lemonade. Overall, I liked its lemon flavoring potential, but its lightness made me feel I was not drinking any alcoholic beverage.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a very light, cloudy yellow with hints of amber. Head is bubbly, white and dissipates almost as quickly as it forms leaving nothing left on top.

Smells light, fruity, peachy (of course). Smell reminds me a little of a dry cider.

Sharp and tart immediately up front with a quickly mellowing sweetness that rolls across the tongue. Eventually on the back end the tartness gives is present again after the beer finishes and a malty almost chewy tanginess is also prominent.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with a definite crisp snap to it. Drinkability is fairly good on this one. The sweetness is all that would keep me from having many over and over. The ABV is amazingly low for a DFH offering, and this is a great refreshing and drinkable summer beer.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Initially, I wanted to rate this beer a few marks lower, but after reading up on the Berliner Weissbier style, it seems to match the guidelines fairly well.

Appearance is a pineapple-golden body -- slightly hazy with moderate carbonation. The white head is fleeting, as it should be, and absoultely nothing but liquid coats the top of the brew. Aroma is of rice and wheat, with some crystal malts and a slight kiss of fruit (mango, peach, and pineapple).

Flavor is quite unique. I can't say I truly enjoyed it, but the style is what it is, so I merit DFH for that. Shock-tart sourness hits the front of the palate while a champagne-like bubbliness envigorates the whole mouth. Pale malts and wheat form the base to this beer, whose body is quite thin and exceedingly well-carbonated. Finishes sour; not exactly refreshing, but it's kind of fun to drink. I probably wouldn't have Festina Peche again, but I'm glad I tried it.

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

A - Very cloudy golden yellow color. Thick foamy white head with light lacing.

S - Very sweet smell, obviously with some peach aroma.

T - A very tart taste with a peach sweetness. Not too sweet but enough to give some balance to the tartness.

M/D - Very well carbonated with lots of energy in your mouth. A light, crisp mouthfeel. Just not a taste I like so I dont see myself drinking this one again.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

Brilliant! to quote Guinness.. A real Berliner weisse is so tart, so mouth-puckering and light, you have to have had a few and understand the stly to like it. This is why younger Berlin generation drink it "mit schluss" or with a splash of fruit syrup, to cut the bitterness. Dogfish has created this mix in a bottle. Nice light peach aromas, light on the hops, some lemons, yeasty weiss. Good aromas for the type. Flavor is a tart peach sour-Jolly Rancher i the mouth. Peaches, light yeast, sour peaches, slight hops, peaches..see where Im going with this. Not peachy, but tart, crisp, biting with a peach effervescence. Mouthfeel is light crisp, highly enjoyable twist on a traditional brew

2.9/5  rDev -20.5%

I never have and never will read somebody else's review before doing my own. I don't want to have other things on my mind when reviewing a beer. I had read a write up while Festina Peche was still aging about it and I was intrigued. I have been let down.
This Nerliner Weissbier pours a cloudy pale gold with little to no visible head and lacing. There is no aroma of peaches as I'd presumed I'd smell. It does have a delightful mouthfeel tons of hidden carbonation. The taste, bland at best. The peach flavor is only at the very end as you swallow. There are none of the esters that other wheat beers usually have. I would gladly drink this as a session beer long before any BMC product, but thats out of respect for Dogfish Head and all that they represent and do for the craft beer industry, not so much for this particular beer. Overall, not impressed.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

Let me start off this review by saying that I have no idea how to judge this beer. This was the first Berliner Weissebier I have ever had and I had no expectation for this beer. The label describes the beer as a "unique, tart, refreshing brew." That doesn't prepare the drinker at ALL. I may have to change my ratings later, since I am still not sure what to think. I poured a 12 oz. bottle into a wheat beer glass. Bottled on 05/05/08.

A: Very pale, hazy yellow body topped by a foamy white head with huge bubbles that disappeared to nothing almost instantly. There are consistent streams of carbonation present. According to the style guidelines, a quickly fading head is typical of the style, so I suppose I should give points for that trait and for the fact that it is light colored. It looked like lemonade sans pulp.

S: Very faint aromas. There was a vague smell of peach, which was covered up by a wheat smell and a strong acidic smell. I am not sure what to say here either. There was no indication of hops in the smell, which is in line with the style once again. However, the smell was too faint.

T: "SOUR! Something must be wrong...AWFUL taste, actually hardly any taste...cannot drink it." That is what I wrote after I had taken a few sips. Then after I had checked the style guidelines I realized that this was a "special" beer. So it was my tastebuds vs. style. Style always wins out with me however. I decided that I would not pour the beer down the drain and I would drink the entire bottle. After 1/2 the bottle was gone, the taste sort of warmed up to me, and I could taste the light peach flavor. It was not unpleasant. However, this beer should come with a warning label.

M: Light bodied beer accompanied by a sharp, crisp carbonation.

D: "UNDRINKABLE. I hate this beer." Again, that is what I wrote before knowing what a Berliner Weisse beer actually was. In a sense, there is much validity in our initial reactions. I was startled and shocked by this beer. I couldn't see this coming. However, I now must consider what the brewer intended for the beer. It is pretty good. I would have another, with maybe some of that syrup added, like it says on the style guidelines. However, this is my least favorite beer style out there so far.

2.83/5  rDev -22.5%

12 oz. undated bottle that has a recycled paper label of 2 peach trees growing in a field of grass. Besides the label having all the usual US information, there is a small and brief sentence off to the right that talks about the style of the beer and that it has peaches in it.

when poured into a Stoudt's standard pint glass, this DFH beer is a cream colored lemon yellow with a small and thin head of white bubbles. There really wasn't a head of foam on top, it was just a few small bubbles. These bubbles quickly popped away into a handful of white rings along the edge. It didn't bother to leave behind any lace behind.

I couldn't get much of an aroma out of this beer. I tried and tried and still couldn't get much out of this beer. All I got was malted wheat with some very tart lemons behind it. No peaches in here.

The taste was very tart and lightly sour with lemons, malted wheat, a hint of fresh baked bread, and the slightest touch of peach juice at the end. There was more lemon in here than peaches. After the taste and aroma, I thought they should have called this Festina Lêmon instead of "Festina Pêche."

The mouthfeel was light, tart, and dry with an aftertaste of malted wheat, lemons, and a hint of peach.

They were right when the label said that this beer was tart and unique. Unique is always good in my book when it comes to beers, but this one didn't do it for me. One is more than enough for me. If you like beers with the taste of lemons, then you should give this one a try.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery