Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

(Beer added by: Todd on 03-05-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer poured a hazy straw color and formed a small foamy white head that left trace lace as it subsided. A medium amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of wheat malt and peach. The flavor is of peach and wheat with a lot of tartness to it. The finish is very tart, the body fairly light with some spritz quality to it. A good session beer.

Wildman, Aug 13, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

This is a very refreshing beer and very drinkable. It pours a very cloudy pale yellow with not much head, decent carbonation, no lacing or head retention to speak of. The smell is citrus, tangy, lemon, peach. The taste is clearly peach, but it is subdued, and there are plenty of other things going on in this beer to make it interesting. You have a very tangy citrus, orange, almost spritzer taste, with peach on the top. The mouthfeel is all fizz, and summer ade. This is a very nice, light, refreshing summer beer if there was one. It is light bodied, although not watery, and has little aftertaste once the fizz in the mouth wears away. I like it. L'Chaim.

albern, Aug 11, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -34.8%

Bottled on 06/01/2007. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a pale and cloudy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is a little faint with some malt and peach flavors. The flavor is very tart with bitter citrus flavors and not much in terms of peach. The mouthfeel is puckering because of the tart flavors. Overall, I am not much of a fan of this brew at all. I find the taste to be offensive and overly sour for what it is. I like sour beers (lambics and flanders red) but this one does not do anything for me.

cjgator3, Aug 11, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +4.9%

poors a hazy straw color with a finger and 1/2 of head that dosent stick around very long. The smell is an odd colection of straw and a bit of fruit. The taste Is allot like the smell at first, but goes into a good peache flavor, which is very tart. This is deffinatly an interesting brew, one sip i love it, next sip im not so sure. Overall a refreshing beer, and a good depature from the average summer seasonal

dickieb, Aug 11, 2007
3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy pale yellow with a medium, white head that vanished in the time it took me to shoo the roommate's cat out of the room. Way to go, Daphne the Cat!

Smell: Faint, slightly musty aroma of damp hay and Del Monte canned peaches with an underlying tartness.

Taste: Moderately tart flavors of wheat and peach juice. Slight saltiness along with a mild citrus taste on the crisp finish.

Mouthfeel: Extremely light-bodied. Light carbonation.

Drinkability: A peach of a thirst quencher!

ChainGangGuy, Aug 11, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a shaker. This beer poured a super cloudy golden color with a very fizzy white head that slowly faded away. The aroma was grass, lemon, white grapes, and some bready wheat notes. The flavor was made up of white wine, lemon, and some light peach flavors. The mouthfeel was light and crisp with solid carbonation. This would make for an excellent summer drink on a hot afternoon. Light and refreshing. Overall, I found this to be another interesting experiment from Dogfish Head. I’m not sure that I would go out of my way to find this beer again, but it was nice to get to try it.

mdm46410, Aug 11, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

Pours a cloudy Yellow color with a white frothy head.

Smell is of citrus and wheat.

The taste is of bitter citrus with the wheat flavor coming in on the finish. Not really tasting the peach in this one.

Carbonation is done well and is balanced.

This is a very refreshing brew and is perfect for a hot summer day. There is not much of an actual peach flavor, but I love the sour citrus flavor it has. I would get this again in a second, another great brew by Dogfish Head.

penguinjive7, Aug 10, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Appearance - Poured into my Sam Adams glass from a 12 oz bottle. Poured a hazy straw yellow color with a lively fine carbonation supporting a thin head that remained after the pour.

Smell - Grainy, wheat scent with a bit of a tart/sour nose as well. There was a faint bit of a peach presence but this is not a peche lambic.

Taste - Tart biting initial presentation with a quick resolve to a light wheat beer feel. The strong citrus flavor throughout with the peach presence sweeting up the sour.

Mouthfeel - Thin but lively on the tongue with a robust carbonation that assists in providing a lasting impression. Very much, as described elsewhere, a thirst-quencher.

Drinkability - This is my first in the Berliner Weissbier style. This came based upon my positive experiences with Dogfish Head products in general and the affinity I have to lambics and Flanders Red beers. Overall, this was a great experience and one that I would revisit.

Nesued, Aug 09, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -19.7%

A - Hazy, pasty gold brew with a two finger head that settles to a collar and haze. A decent amount of fluffy lace is left on the glass.

S - Grainy, macro-lagery funk. I don't really smell peach at all. Wheaty twangy aromas are nothing special.

T - Super-lactic lactic acid flavors are like a very subdued lambic or gueuze. Reminds me of banana-orange juice. Lots of yeasty flavors and wheat twang too. It's a little odd and off-kilter. Something about it just doesn't work for me.

M - Sharp acidic bite with some tingly carbonation ends with a yeasty gluey layer coating my mouth. Finishes really clean after that gluey feeling goes away. Very quenching, very unique.

D - Extremely thirst quenching and summery. A unique brew that is somewhere between a really mild lambic and a twangy American wheat beer.

pmcadamis, Aug 08, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -16.4%

I was excited to try this. I've recently found that I love sour beers.

I was hoping for something similar to Jolly Pumpkin's Calabaza Blanc but with peaches. Sadly what I got tasted more like sour apple juice with a touch of peaches.

It's a good beer, just not what I had hoped it would be. It's not overpoweringly sour, but there's not a whole lot going on besides that. The finish is dry as hoped, but it just reminds me of apple juice.

jmichaeldesign, Aug 07, 2007
3.23/5  rDev -11.5%

Pours a cloudy, almost neon yellow color. no head remains for more than a few seconds. Smell is a strong peach (big surprise right?), maybe a little grape. Taste is very tart, and heavy fruity. Limited carbonation on this one. However, it kind of reminds me of drinking a very bad bottle of champagne.

genog, Aug 07, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a simple 12oz bottle into the narrowest chalice I could find. Botte was dated in early June '07. Colour is very light, white-gold and is very protein hazy, though very evenly so. No chunks or floaters. Chamgagne-like fine and fast-falling carbonation typical of wits.

Smell is much more weizen than peach or fruit. Light wheat and yeast with undertones of a more traditional malt. Strong bitters that are almost herbal - if I didn't know that was peach in there, I might have guessed cilantro. Once you think about peach, it becomes almost floral.

Taste is very, very sour, a little sweet, and very lightly flavoured of peaches. Suspicions of orange peel and a dash of spice on the tip of the tongue. The yeast itself is somehow woody, maybe a little ashy. Nice effect of the front of the taste being blown away by the sour, probably.

Body isn't the first thing you notice, but once the distraction of the sour wears off, you realize this brew is very smooth, neither tacky nor sticky, nor drying. Carbonation can be swirled up, and compliments the feel of the sour in your cheeks quite well.

All in all, a crazy departure from the normal DFH offerings and dang fine weissen. Not as overdone as some of their other sour/fruit offerings, and more true to one of the old world beer styles.

ojiikun, Aug 06, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +24.1%

Cloudy pale straw color, reminded me of lemonade in appearance, with a small white foamy head to it.
Aroma is mainly of wheat, with some peachy overtones.
Surprisingly, the peach flavor doesn't overpower here. Instead, it's a more passive participant, allowing a good bit of tartness (which I suppose could be classified as peachy, but seemed more like lemon or grapefruit, or even green apples) to come through. After the sourness fades, there's a small bit of peachy sweetness lingering on the palate as well.
Thanks to the low ABV, I could definitely put away a few of these on a hot summer day like today.

weasbri, Aug 05, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Found a four pak of these at Jungle Jim's in Fairfield, Ohio. Yeah! Pours into a goblet a hazed pale yellow with a small white head that quickly vanishes without lacing. Aroma of fresh cut lemons and a basket of South Carolina peaches fifteen feet downwind. Light body with spritzy carbonation. Taste is citrusy sour in a fresh lemon sort of way. Faint wheat notes and some subtle peach pulp. Really nice on a hot summer day. Tempted to bring out the marmelade for this one. Nice rendition by DFH of this interesting style.

merlin48, Aug 05, 2007
1.55/5  rDev -57.5%

I am hesitant to review this beer, especially as its my first review here, because I had such a bad experience with the beer that I must have had a bad batch.

Beer was served on tap at the Brickstore.

I will start with the good news. The appearance of the beer was a fantastic straw wheat golden color that looked like the essence of sumer. With a warm, humid, southern evening being the setting, just looking at the beer quenched my thirst.

The mouthfeel was perfect for a summer beer. Smooth, soft and cascaded down my throat.

However...

The aroma was awful. Peach was nowhere to be found. What I could detect was a sort of peaty, rotten aroma typical of a Single Malt. With the carbonation, the smell became repulsive.

Flavor was equally bad. I could tell that there was a good base beer here and would drink that without the peach extract. Good spicy floral wheat beer characteristics that make a fantastic summer beer. But, the peach did not taste like peach and indeed, me, my dining partner, and waitress all commented that it tasted more like, well, certain bodily functions.

Reading other reviews, I am convinced that this had to be a bad keg. Reinforcing my belief is that my waitress told me that she has yet to find a customer who enjoyed the beer.

So, I would suggest that readers take this with a grain of salt.

Also, I am interested if anyone had a similar experience.

rugbyfan13, Aug 05, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Poured into a weizen glass, the result -- a cloudy light straw-colored body with a small white head that settles fast.

S: Wheat and peach skin, with something slightly funky that I can't quite put my finger on.

T: First impression is that it tastes slike a Sweettart -- in the front of the mouth it's sour and tart, and then there's a dry finish with absolutely no aftertaste whatsoever. As it warms it gets a little sweeter overall, including a lingering sweetness that wasn't noticeable earlier.

M: Light and airy. Good for a summer beer.

D: Pretty good if you want something different and can get past the sour/tart taste. Very low in ABV, light in heft and just about disappears on the finish.

Notes: At $9.99 a 4-pack, this is not one I'll be buying again, but I was glad to give it a try. Interesting and different.

Kendo, Aug 04, 2007
3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

A - this ale pours a pale, hazy yellow with at very thin white head that laces quickly, sounds like there must be a decent amount of carbonation

S - Holy Peach! the peach smell is delightful and refreshing, yet overpowering any other aromas that may be there

T - a surprising addition of wheat notes, the peach of course is the highlight though, a super tart, acidic peach flavor, bordering on citrus levels of acidity, kind of harsh after a few sips

M&D - smooth and crisp, yet after half a pint, the beer gets kind of harsh, the acidity is a bit much and makes the last few swigs hard to handle, but the flavor acuracy and beer quality itself is good, DFH walks that thin line betwixt genious and insanity like a Wallendo, great job

sinstaineddemon, Aug 04, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

Picked up a couple 4-packs at Jenny St. for $8.99 a piece. Pours into my Sam Adams glass a wit like bright white peach color with a thick and bubbly white head that rapidly dissipates. Aroma is wheat and peach with hints at tartness and the potential for aging. A sense of vinegar. Tastes clean, crisp, light, and tart in a purposeful and carefully crafted way. Hardly any peach flavor, more general tartness and lemon then anything else. Some wheaty cereal notes. Heavily carbonated and very drinkable. A great summer time beer. Refreshing.

DaPeculierDane, Aug 03, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

Hazy straw yellow with a fleeting smooth white head. Woody, musty aromas covering the lightly sweetened tartness of the peaches. Every time I take a whiff, I get vague memories of my childhood. It really reminds me of a place, possibly my old attic...I'm not sure, but I'm getting 80s flashbacks. Peachy sourness immediately washes over the tongue along with more wood and wheat. Funky lemon acidity. This is growing on me...I'm amazed DFH has the balls to do something like this. Dry, sour mouthfeel, relatively light in body making it easy to consume despite the funkiness of it all.

wedge, Aug 03, 2007
2.38/5  rDev -34.8%

The great thing about dogfish head is that they have a ton of creativity and courage. They creat many beers that might not have ever been made without their pioneering spirit. Their punkin ale and 120 minute IPA are amazing. Because of these kinds of triumphs one is compelled to try just about everything that they make. However in the case of festina peche I was not impressed.

smell/taste: Sort of like coors light with a little peach syrup on the side. The beer is very acidic, and this acidity overpowers any true peach flavor.

overall: I think it was a good idea, but they just missed the mark here.

drunkkelly, Aug 03, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance: Very light yellow, like watered down grapefruit juice. Slight layer of head disappating quickly. No lacing

Smell: Very fruity. Good fresh peach smell with no sense that it has been fermented but with a touch of sourness.

Taste: Very much like peach and apricot with a spoonful of vitamin C for a sour kick. Im a fan of sour ales so this is "all good" to my pallate. A little bit of wheat comes out in the after taste but the fruit dominates.

Drinkability: Very high. Low ABV, great taste while still cold, what more could you ask for on a hot summer day?

Overall I would buy a case for a summer cook out if it was easy enough to find. I drank mine last night while studying for a state exam and passed this morning with flying colors. Thanks DFH!

nriech, Aug 03, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From a 12 oz bottle marked “bottled on 6/7/07,” consumed on 7/28/07. Into my crystal mug, it’s a hazy faint yellowish peach color with no carbonation. No head at all, nor is any lacing in evidence. Nose of peach concentrate. Taste like a weak peach “cider” with no malt or hops character. Just kind of a watered-down peach juice. Some wheatiness at first but rapidly is lost in the off-peach, semi-sour clutter. Odd, sour, dry finish. Mouth is very flat, wet, and somewhat satisfying. Drinkability is OK; it’s pretty easygoing, but boring, too. Sessionable? I guess, at 4.3% . But with many much better and less expensive session beers out there, I really wouldn’t bother.

Overall: Take a can of peaches, drain off about 1 oz. of the syrup into a glass and add 11 oz. club soda. Allow to sit in refrigerator overnight. Enjoy. That about sums this beer up for me. I guess you will either rave over the “subtleties” of this beer or damn it as a weak, fruit-flavored disaster. To me, this is a kind of weird niche beer; an experiment into making a (rather flat) peach beer shandy or something. Not my cup of tea. Two macro drinkers who tasted it liked it, which to me speaks volumes. Obviously plenty of other Beer Advocates have enjoyed it, so test it yourself if you’re interested.

Gave this one a second try after a week or so. Still just weird. I’m going to see if I can pawn off the other two.

jettjon, Aug 02, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured up a pale yellow colour with a big, white, loosley knit head that faded away in about 45 seconds. The body of the liquid is rather cloudy with some very fine debris/particulates floating about. Smell reminded me a bit of BMC, but with a mild, but certainly noticeable fruit profile. Taste, too, was close to BMC, but again, there were other characteristics present to off-set this. I found this to be quite sour, actually, and somewhat pleasant. If you like gueuze, saison, and/or flemish sour ales, you'll probably enjoy this, as well. Not a whole lot of CO2 in this one. Body is quite and rather refreshing. Finish is sour and dry at the same time. Very drinkable.

SilentSabre, Aug 02, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance:
The beer pours the color of lemon juice with an equal haze to it, maybe a little bit more yellow. Initially there was a decent rocky white head to the beer but it quickly disappeared and didn't leave a trace of lacing.

Smell:
For a peach flavored berliner weiss this is incredibly dried apricot like in scent. It's like opening a bag of dried apricots and getting that first delicious whiff. There's an underlying candy sweetness and at the back there's a good and apparent sour edge. Good but dominated by fruit.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
I think if the good folks over at Sour Patch Kids wanted to turn a beer in to a limited release flavor this would be the one. Aside from lacking the sweetness of candy it tastes like a peach and apricot blended Sour Patch Kid. A good and even sourness throughout which refreshes more than it urges me to pucker up with an undertow of wheat. The beer drinks pretty light but there's a fullness on the palate that I didn't get from Weihenstephan's berliner weiss. The finish is a little lemon juicy with a silky wheat character in the aftertaste.

Drinkability:
As a summer release I'm really feeling this beer but I certainly couldn't drink it year round and I can't imagine this would be the beer I would grab at in the dead of winter. I really appreciate how refreshing the beer is.

Bottom Line:
Weihenstephan probably does a more true berliner weiss but I think the non citric spin on the fruit in this beer does a lot more for this beer's overall drinking experience. Another slam dunk by DFH IMO.

Grundle20, Aug 02, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12ozer bought as a single from Julio's, Westboro, MA. Bottled on 052307.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/4" bright white head over the slightly cloudy light golden (yellow?) brew. Head fades gradually, with average lacing. Aroma is moderate intensity peach with sedate wheat character. Taste starts lightly sweet, and then kicks in with the controlled tartness, which is quelled at the close cleanly. Mouthfeel is smooth, esp for the style, and drinkability is excellent, slaking the thirst nicely. Fruit here is understated and adds to, doesn't dominate, the experience, the way it should be.

ppoitras, Aug 02, 2007