Festina Pêche - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Berliner Weissbier |  4.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: dherling on 02-26-2007

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Festina Pêche Alström Bros
3.47/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled from a 12oz bottle in a DFH shaped pint glass.

A - Yellow in color with a haze and very little head. What head there is disappears quickly.

S - Fruity with peach and lemon.

T - Very, very tart and a bit fruity. A lot like a Flemish Red but different as well. Not much actual peach flavor to it. Definitely some wheat flavors coming through.

M - The flavor affects all parts of the mouth from the lips all the way to the throat.

D - This beer is very different but I find it interesting and a worthwhile project. It's not for everyone but my love of Flemish Reds makes me appreciate it a bit. Not sure I could make it a regular though.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

12 oz bottle: Aroma is sour lemon and peach off the first sniff. A subtle wheat texture with a more lemon than anything into the scent. Pours a cloudy light yellow with a huge white head that lingers around forever it seems. Taste has a sour acidic taste to it. Definitely similar to the other Berliner Weisse that I've tried. Some wheat characteristics intermingled with an, oh so, light peach texture. Overall, I thought peach was going to be a more substantial contributed to this brew. As a Berliner it lives up to expectations, but I wish there was more of a peach flavor in this brew.

4.6/5  rDev +26%

Straw, wheaty gold. Very pale. Initially pours with a full two fingers of head, fizzing like soda and dying out to nothing. Completely hazy.
Smells sour and fruity. Green apple and under-ripe peach, fresh off the tree you pick yourself at the orchard.
The flavor opens up light and airy, with a purely summertime feel. If this isn't refreshing, I don't know what is. The carbonation is effervescent, yet mellow and finely bubbled. Lightly flavored green apple tartness with the essence of peach. The flavors intermingle effortlessly, finishing off with barely a trace of floral hops and refreshing fruity sourness. Excellent, interesting and unusual. Who makes a berliner weisse in regular production? I could drink the four pack on the back stoop in one sitting, easy.

A - Hazy gold color... Head is gone as quick as it came leaving no lace... Lively carbonation continually dances to the top... Lots of fizz...

S - Complex... Wheat... Tart Fruit (peach,apple, lemon)... Citrus hops???

T - Tart peach... Sour apple... Wheat... Lemon... Grain... Salt...

M - Dry, crisp, and tart...

D - Many many great qualities... Unique and and a true gem in the otherwise predictable realm of summer seasonals... This is my favorite summer beer hands down...

2.64/5  rDev -27.7%

Had this on tap at the Moan and Dove. The head of this drink diminished almost immediately when it was handed to me. Pale, murky and dull yellow were the main attributes in the drinks appearance. The aromas had a slight spice to them; an almost herby flavoring. The taste was very sour in a fruity way. Strong lemon flavors. Practically no body or carbonation; I felt I was drinking lemonade. Overall, I liked its lemon flavoring potential, but its lightness made me feel I was not drinking any alcoholic beverage.

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

Pours a very light, cloudy yellow with hints of amber. Head is bubbly, white and dissipates almost as quickly as it forms leaving nothing left on top.

Smells light, fruity, peachy (of course). Smell reminds me a little of a dry cider.

Sharp and tart immediately up front with a quickly mellowing sweetness that rolls across the tongue. Eventually on the back end the tartness gives is present again after the beer finishes and a malty almost chewy tanginess is also prominent.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with a definite crisp snap to it. Drinkability is fairly good on this one. The sweetness is all that would keep me from having many over and over. The ABV is amazingly low for a DFH offering, and this is a great refreshing and drinkable summer beer.

3.28/5  rDev -10.1%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Initially, I wanted to rate this beer a few marks lower, but after reading up on the Berliner Weissbier style, it seems to match the guidelines fairly well.

Appearance is a pineapple-golden body -- slightly hazy with moderate carbonation. The white head is fleeting, as it should be, and absoultely nothing but liquid coats the top of the brew. Aroma is of rice and wheat, with some crystal malts and a slight kiss of fruit (mango, peach, and pineapple).

Flavor is quite unique. I can't say I truly enjoyed it, but the style is what it is, so I merit DFH for that. Shock-tart sourness hits the front of the palate while a champagne-like bubbliness envigorates the whole mouth. Pale malts and wheat form the base to this beer, whose body is quite thin and exceedingly well-carbonated. Finishes sour; not exactly refreshing, but it's kind of fun to drink. I probably wouldn't have Festina Peche again, but I'm glad I tried it.

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%

A - Very cloudy golden yellow color. Thick foamy white head with light lacing.

S - Very sweet smell, obviously with some peach aroma.

T - A very tart taste with a peach sweetness. Not too sweet but enough to give some balance to the tartness.

M/D - Very well carbonated with lots of energy in your mouth. A light, crisp mouthfeel. Just not a taste I like so I dont see myself drinking this one again.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Brilliant! to quote Guinness.. A real Berliner weisse is so tart, so mouth-puckering and light, you have to have had a few and understand the stly to like it. This is why younger Berlin generation drink it "mit schluss" or with a splash of fruit syrup, to cut the bitterness. Dogfish has created this mix in a bottle. Nice light peach aromas, light on the hops, some lemons, yeasty weiss. Good aromas for the type. Flavor is a tart peach sour-Jolly Rancher i the mouth. Peaches, light yeast, sour peaches, slight hops, peaches..see where Im going with this. Not peachy, but tart, crisp, biting with a peach effervescence. Mouthfeel is light crisp, highly enjoyable twist on a traditional brew

2.93/5  rDev -19.7%

I never have and never will read somebody else's review before doing my own. I don't want to have other things on my mind when reviewing a beer. I had read a write up while Festina Peche was still aging about it and I was intrigued. I have been let down.
This Nerliner Weissbier pours a cloudy pale gold with little to no visible head and lacing. There is no aroma of peaches as I'd presumed I'd smell. It does have a delightful mouthfeel tons of hidden carbonation. The taste, bland at best. The peach flavor is only at the very end as you swallow. There are none of the esters that other wheat beers usually have. I would gladly drink this as a session beer long before any BMC product, but thats out of respect for Dogfish Head and all that they represent and do for the craft beer industry, not so much for this particular beer. Overall, not impressed.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Let me start off this review by saying that I have no idea how to judge this beer. This was the first Berliner Weissebier I have ever had and I had no expectation for this beer. The label describes the beer as a "unique, tart, refreshing brew." That doesn't prepare the drinker at ALL. I may have to change my ratings later, since I am still not sure what to think. I poured a 12 oz. bottle into a wheat beer glass. Bottled on 05/05/08.

A: Very pale, hazy yellow body topped by a foamy white head with huge bubbles that disappeared to nothing almost instantly. There are consistent streams of carbonation present. According to the style guidelines, a quickly fading head is typical of the style, so I suppose I should give points for that trait and for the fact that it is light colored. It looked like lemonade sans pulp.

S: Very faint aromas. There was a vague smell of peach, which was covered up by a wheat smell and a strong acidic smell. I am not sure what to say here either. There was no indication of hops in the smell, which is in line with the style once again. However, the smell was too faint.

T: "SOUR! Something must be wrong...AWFUL taste, actually hardly any taste...cannot drink it." That is what I wrote after I had taken a few sips. Then after I had checked the style guidelines I realized that this was a "special" beer. So it was my tastebuds vs. style. Style always wins out with me however. I decided that I would not pour the beer down the drain and I would drink the entire bottle. After 1/2 the bottle was gone, the taste sort of warmed up to me, and I could taste the light peach flavor. It was not unpleasant. However, this beer should come with a warning label.

M: Light bodied beer accompanied by a sharp, crisp carbonation.

D: "UNDRINKABLE. I hate this beer." Again, that is what I wrote before knowing what a Berliner Weisse beer actually was. In a sense, there is much validity in our initial reactions. I was startled and shocked by this beer. I couldn't see this coming. However, I now must consider what the brewer intended for the beer. It is pretty good. I would have another, with maybe some of that syrup added, like it says on the style guidelines. However, this is my least favorite beer style out there so far.

2.8/5  rDev -23.3%

12 oz. undated bottle that has a recycled paper label of 2 peach trees growing in a field of grass. Besides the label having all the usual US information, there is a small and brief sentence off to the right that talks about the style of the beer and that it has peaches in it.

when poured into a Stoudt's standard pint glass, this DFH beer is a cream colored lemon yellow with a small and thin head of white bubbles. There really wasn't a head of foam on top, it was just a few small bubbles. These bubbles quickly popped away into a handful of white rings along the edge. It didn't bother to leave behind any lace behind.

I couldn't get much of an aroma out of this beer. I tried and tried and still couldn't get much out of this beer. All I got was malted wheat with some very tart lemons behind it. No peaches in here.

The taste was very tart and lightly sour with lemons, malted wheat, a hint of fresh baked bread, and the slightest touch of peach juice at the end. There was more lemon in here than peaches. After the taste and aroma, I thought they should have called this Festina Lêmon instead of "Festina Pêche."

The mouthfeel was light, tart, and dry with an aftertaste of malted wheat, lemons, and a hint of peach.

They were right when the label said that this beer was tart and unique. Unique is always good in my book when it comes to beers, but this one didn't do it for me. One is more than enough for me. If you like beers with the taste of lemons, then you should give this one a try.

2.95/5  rDev -19.2%

This is the first beer I have had from dogfish that I did not love. I'm not even sure i would call it a beer...poured with little to no head, seamed to be a bit over carbonated, and did not have the kind of beer taste that most fruit beers have. The taste was on the tart side and was almost sour. I was also expecting more on the nose...didn't really get the peach smell i thought would be there.

2.7/5  rDev -26%

This is one pale, headless brew. The color is actually not dark enough to be yellow and features lots of bubbles, but none at the top. The nose is tart with wheat malt and some faint peach and citrus notes.

I am surprised by the lack of sweetness here, it really is much closer to sour. I can see the hefeweissen comparisons but this is more like one of those "radler" half-lemonade half-beer combo jobs they sell in Germany. I like the texture and crispness, particularly in this ridiculous Carolina heat, but the taste is too sour and "un-beerlike" for me. I can't see a sixer of this in my future.

3.27/5  rDev -10.4%

Straight out of the bottle this beer had a huge pillowly head, almost too much foam. Top of the white mountain bubbles and fizzes as it slowly sinks back into the pint. Some sediment becomes visible on top.

Aroma is of strong kicking sweet and sour peach with bits of spice.

Flavor is predominately sour peaches. Very syrupy and tart. Lacks depth and complexity. Very crisp and fruity. The intense sourness leaves a heavy aftertaste.

Not a bad summer beer, however it's drinkability suffers due to it's overwhelming sourness.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured a bottle of this into a pint glass.

A: Pours a cloudy, straw-yellow body with no head or lacing to note.

S: A sweet, malty smell with some hints of peaches in the undertones.

T: A bittersweet, peach taste with a fairly bitter aftertaste. Some light banana ester evident in the aftertaste, but nothing of great significance.

M: A light and crisp mouthfeel that was very nice for a summer offering.

D: A fairly drinkable beer. Peach taste is evident, but it is not overbearing, so that makes this beer fairly easy to drink. Definitely a nice representation of this style.

4.21/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours an effervescent & semi-hazed straw color with minimal white head. Some lacing & no head retention

S: Cereal notes, some grassyness & tartness

T: Tartness in abundance, grassy hops, lemony fruittyness & some flinty dryness up front. Chalky dryness, puckery lemons, & a touch of sour cherry as this warms. Finishes tart with some fruittyness (peach or apricot)

MF: Light bodied, spritzy, dry

Drinks pretty easy, the tartness really quenches the old thirst. Not a style I'm crazy about, the German Berliners I could stand with out the syrup, so although not really feeling or tasting peaches, I do believe they help. If there's a tastier take on the style I haven't had it yet. I am sitting on 1809, so we shall see...

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

12oz bottle into a snifter

A - Hazy, light yellow orange color. Thin, white head that doesn't linger. A very few, tiny bubbles present. This is a very distinct looking beer - more similar to a hefe than anything else.

S - A lot of sourness right up front. I'm not getting a very complex nose here - very pronounced apricot/peach smell.

T - Very tart flavor. Malt and hops completely give way to the bright acidity of the peach. Totally different than your average beer. Light finish, especially with a beer that packs so much up front. Not for everyone, but I'm a big fan.

MF - Thin and lacy feel, not especially heavy. Very bitter and bubbly on the front of the tongue Move this one around on the palate a lot for the full effect.

D - Despite the very low alcohol content (4.5%), this is as far from a lawnmower beer as a DIPA or an Imperial Porter. Best enjoyed leisurely.

3.98/5  rDev +9%

This offering from DFH pours a murky pale orange with a light watery yellow bottom leaving a thick and strong white head. The aroma is tart peach, sour funk, lemon, strong tart acidicty, followed by a bit of hay and grass with a faint must.

The taste starts tart, unripened, fruit, peaches, sour grapes, lemon tart flavor abound with a bready malt sweetness of honey great play on the tartness actually pretty brisk highly carbonated refreshingly tart with a mild balanace making this a playful beer.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

a - pours a hazy bright yellowish color, almost like a lemon-lime Gatorade, one-finger head with no retention or lacing

s - lots of wheat and graininess on the nose with hints of the peach, pretty weak aroma

t - pretty tart and crisp up front with a bit of lemon flavor, midpalate has some light peach flavors along with some wheat, finish has a light lingering peach note with some light graininess and corn chip flavor, no alcohol noticeble really, pretty refreshing

m - light bodied with lots of carbonation, slightly drying finish, but not bad at all, easy on the palate

d - quite drinkable, a great beer for a hot summer day, easy on the palate and pretty refreshing with its moderate tartness

Not too bad of a beer overall, but nothing that blew me out of the water. My first experience with this style, to my knowledge. I'd love to try some more examples of the style.

3.55/5  rDev -2.7%

Pours a ridiculous pale yellow, and is incredibly cloudy. I watched a hunk of sediment fall into this one mid pour and was a little disappointed it fell in that early. A thin white head forms and quickly disappears.

Aroma is very weak. Some fruit notes with not much else.

Taste is ok. Actually a nice little peach profile with some bready malt and a tangy character too. It's more sour with every sip, and I'm really starting to dig it!

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability is moderate. Low alcohol and decent flavor makes for easy consumption. The flavor is so simple and beer is so light that I could easily drink several of these.

3.49/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pale yellow in color, mostly clear, with no real head or lacing.

S: Wheat, fresh yeast and light fruitiness, presumably peach but not all that distinctive.

T: Initially struck me as a dry country wine with light carbonation, but as it swirls around on the tongue it changed complexities just a bit. At the swallow there is an interesting bitterness that comes through and then a long wheat linger follows. This is relatively complex for such a light-weight ABV brew. This isn't what you might consider to be 'traditional' but if you are feeling a little adventurous and want to try something a little different, check this one out.

M: Light, dry, very light carbonation. Not really 'smooth' drinking, but with the wine-like texture, it wouldn't work well if it were too smooth.

D: I found this intriguing. It was quite dry but still had an interesting flavor profile. It was light yet still rather satisfying. This is one of those brews that is probably one of the more unique flavors I've had in beer but still enjoyed. Honestly, I don't think I would want to drink more than one at a time but it is good just the same.

3.97/5  rDev +8.8%

L: Pours a pale yellow color with a medium bodied short white head that left a decent amount of lacing down the glass.
S: Smells of peach really, nothing much else I could detect in the nose except a little bit of sweet malt.
T: A really big tart peach flavor with this one with a tiny bit of sweet malt mixed in.
M: Very fresh and smooth with a tartness that was left afterwards that was actually pretty nice.
D: Very drinkable as it is a nice summer beer.

4.09/5  rDev +12.1%

12 oz bottle, cool label. Tried this last year and didn't know what to think about it. I think it is time to give this one another go. Poured into a pint glass.

Murky straw colored beer with a fizzy white head, no retention or lacing. It actually kind of sounded like soda when I poured it.

Smell is tart, peachy, sour. Interesting. Taste is similar, acidic and sour, tart and a dose of peaches. This is good beer and well suited to summer weather--I would drink it all day if I could. Definately recommended.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

A- Nice pour, thin head about half a finger space.

S- The peachy smell is coming through as well as the acidic sour tart smell that is the beer to come.

T- What comes to mind is sweet tart! It is a sweet beer with a very tart and sour peach taste. Very acidic. I thought it was a tasty beer when it comes to this style.

M- My mouth was puckering at first, and then it watered for more.

D- I drank this beer a lot slower then that of other styles. It was a bit on the tart side for my taste. But as far as this style went it was good.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Brewery