Follow our progress ...

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Berliner Weissbier

Availability: Summer

In Festina Peche, since the natural peach sugars are eaten by the yeast, the fruit complexity is woven into both the aroma and the taste of the beer so there is no need to doctor it with woodruff or raspberry syrup. Just open and enjoy!

Added by dherling on 02-26-2007

Reviews: 1,333 | Ratings: 4,204
3.63/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Good flavor, but there was two issues I took with this beer. First being the watery consistency. It was just a tad thin, even for such a light beer. Second was the flavor, also just a tad light. Overall, it's not bad, but it could be better.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle. Bottled 5/23/15. Appearance: Pale yellow, cloudy, no head. Aroma: Funky, sour, acidic. Nothing strong. Taste: Light crackery malt, light lactic tartness, with the slightest touch of peach. Mouthfeel: Light body, low carbonation Finish: Light lingering peach and lactic sourness. Very subtle. Overall: Decent Berliner Weisse. Clean, well balanced with no off flavor a. Flavor and lactic tartness is mild and subtle.

4.29/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours a hazy golden yellow with a very thin white head. The nose is the best part of this beer. Peach, unripe apricot, sour lemon. Delicious. The flavor is really good too. It's sweet and sour upfront paired with plenty of acidity, anymore acid would be too much, and it finishes off with the sweetness of the peach. This is one of the best Dogfish head beers I've tried.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Quite thin with sweet tart peach and light grain flavors. The tartness just doesn't deliver enough lasting flavor. Good but gets tiresome before you hit the bottom of the glass.

4.17/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm not an expert on Berliner Weisses but I liked this. Nice and refreshing. Could taste peach but it wasn't over the top. Will def get again. Dunno what the neg reviews are all about.

2.96/5  rDev -18.9%

Bottled 2105A 1901

Pours a clear light-yellow/light-golden. No head retention. Head dissipates quickly.

Smells of sour bacteria with a hint of sulfur.

Tastes like sour lemon and spoiled wheat grain. If you imagine peaches, you might get a small hint behind all the lemon though it certainly isn't obvious.

Mouthfeel is tart, and nothing but; so much bitter lemon just ruins this. Feel is also light/thin.

This might be a good example of the style, but I'd imagine the reason the imbibing populous aren't as thrilled with this style, as it has been historically celebrated, is that it's fucking trash compared to other options. This barely deserves to be called beer; where are the hops!? You could mix up some lemon juice and sulfur and have the same taste experience — or lick a 9v battery while inhaling farts.

4.42/5  rDev +21.1%

Festina Peche pours a clean looking pale straw color, with a salt-white head of fizzy suds. The aroma is a graceful blend of flowery scents, citrus and peach, as well as a pleasant funkiness from the yeast. The flavor is an ideal summer treat, with a crisp, slightly mineral, mellow tartness that's just right. The lemony finish with a dash of apple cider vinegar seals the deal with your tastebuds perfectly. Slightly effervescent mouth feel. This is one beer this season you don't want to skip for something far more boring. For sour vets and initiates alike.

1.43/5  rDev -60.8%

Never hit a woman, Never "sink" a beer...not this time (I HAD to break one of the rules) Way to sour, to the point of undrinkability. I'm not a fan of sours but this one is a special in my books. Meh.

4.44/5  rDev +21.6%

This beer is fantastic—it tastes just like it's advertised to taste, but it's slightly on the sweet side to the point of being too sweet. It's not overwhelming if you're only drinking one or two at a time, but beyond that, its sweetness can become too much.

3.58/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lots of complexity of flavor, especially for the ABV, trouble is, I just don't particularly like it. Very peachy, light sour, wheat profile. I think it is successful but won't get again.

3.21/5  rDev -12.1%

Straw color with a quickly fading white foam. Smells of peaches and wheat. The taste is just okay. I was hoping for a bit more peach flavor but you do taste subtle fruitiness upfront. Very well carbonated but the mouthfeel is lacking. I liked the second beer more than the first but I wouldn't buy this beer again.

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

A: Hazy peach tinted straw color under a pure white frothy foam collar that quickly dissipates.
S: Peach nose, some tartness and wheat.
T: Has a crisp Berliner Weiss tartness with just enough peach to tame the acidity.
M: Crisp, light, big sharp carbonation, refreshing.
O: the peche in the name had me expecting a lambic but this is Berliner all the way – should have named it pfirsich. A great beer for a summer afternoon sitting in a garden.

3.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pale straw color, lots of bubbles and a massive white head. A little barnyard funk, cut grass and a hint of peach on the nose. Nice, mouth-puckering tartness, slight creaminess and, again, just a touch of peach in the flavor. Not my favorite Berliner Weisse, but not bad. This one's pretty easy to find and still scratches that itch.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

4.5% ABV
12oz Brown Bottle $2.34 State Street Northampton MA
Appearance: Honey gold, lots of bubbles decent head sticks around

Smell: sweet and a bit fresh peachy, not much aroma, a bit metallic

Flavor: soda style carbonation, tart but not tangy no bitter at all

tastes like a dry cider - not getting any "Beery" flavor at all.

Overall: 3.5/5 Pretty good - a little bland, but would be a good choice in a bar

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Due to the fizziness and foaminess of the pour, I opted to drink this from the bottle instead. The peach flavor and foaminess come together as a a good substitute for sparkling wine. Otherwise, definitely a summer time/BBQ beer.

1.63/5  rDev -55.3%

A - Pours an almost water clear with a faint hint of yellow. Small quickly dissipating white head. Little to no lacing left on the walls of the glass.
S - Belgian sour smell upfront with a bit of peach in the back.
T - Disappointing. Tastes like a slightly sour Corona upfront with the absolute mildest touch of faint peach in the back you can imagine. Very basic and boring beer. Could pair well with certain foods, but is not a very good stand alone beer by any means.
O - It isn't disgusting or anything, just severely lacking and extremely boring.
V - Not really worth purchasing.

4.4/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A weisse beer that is absolutely reminiscent of a white wine. Effervescent fizzy carbonation, with a light sourness. Was expecting a puckering of the lips but found this to be softened out by the addition of the peach. Would absolutely go well with most food items, especially meats or seafood. Very enjoyable

4.02/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I love this brew. Perfect for a hot day. This is one of the few Berliner style brews available to me in a 4 pack. All other options are expensive bombers.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Lots more peach and tartness than I was expecting. After many Berliners, I guess I wasn't expecting too much from DFH, they don't do a lot of low ABV beers. However, this one is really refreshing and balanced while still hitting the style somewhat.

Will drink again.

4.28/5  rDev +17.3%

Tap to tulip

Nice brew.

Slightly sour, tart, fruity, overwhelmingly peach/stone fruit (in a good way).
Reminiscint of a fuzzy navel wine cooler (my teenage years, I know fuzzy navel). Thin bodies. Nice clean lager-like finish. At 4.5%, very drinkable. Refreshing. Prickly. Appetizing. Definitely worth a try.

2.25/5  rDev -38.4%

Very tardy and almost explodes when it hits your mouth so it does have a nice fizz to it. Also very light, reminds me of a peach cider with a dry finish. Flavor wise, it's sweet and very tardy and I don't pick up too much of the aroma. Not crazy about it but I am glad I tried it.

4.6/5  rDev +26%

I would rate this beer higher if it didn't make me look crazy.
But honestly, what is wrong with this beer?
The answer is nothing. It is exactly what it was intended to be.

Super clean malts. Super clean taste. Bitterness does not exist with this baby.
However, tartness does. And that's what it excels at.
Few beers can I drink as quickly as I can down one of these. Especially in the summer.

All tart peach with no syrup like, garbage sweetness. Just enough sweet to keep you drinking, but the star here is the tart peach flavor.

Does it need to be anything else? No, absolutely not. Insanely addictive. I remember when DFH first came out with this beer, I was worried about how much I would see it on the shelves. Luckily it has become a staple, I see it all the time now, and deservedly so. As I am writing this review I haven't had this beer in over a month, but as soon as I feel consecutive 90+degree days again, I'll be going to it....

4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

Appearance - 4/5
A light yellow color. Not golden or any hints or orange, but truly very yellow. Fairly clear, only a little bit hazy. In some ways it kind of looks like pee (that might be a turn off to some people), but clearly it's not because of the carbonation and head, A little less than medium head rentention. Can see many carbonation bubbles floating to the top. Overall a unique and nice appearance.

Smell - 4/5
Smells like a fruity lager. I think the fruity smell is more peachy, but also that might just be my brain psychologically fooling myself because I know the beer has peach juice it in. Regardless, the smell is nice. I don't think I've smelled a beer quite like this before (and I love novelty).

Taste - 4.5/5
Quite sweet, a definite peach taste to the beer. I really do feel like I am biting into a peach. The beer is quite delicious, if you like fruity beers. At first I was hesitant about the peach, because while I do like the fruit, I typically don't like peach-flavored things. And especially a peach beer, I was skeptical that it would taste good. But I think DFH really pulled this off well. The beer is sweet, but not too sweet. The peach is clearly present, but not overpowering. One complaint I might have is that there is not really a lot of beer taste to this brew. I like fruit beers, but I still like them to taste like beer. This brew is pretty close to the line. Overall great taste though.

Mouthfeel - 3.75/5
Very light in body, although the peach juice adds a bit of syrupyness and this heaviness to the beer. Overall, very smooth. The carbonation is light and subtle, which goes well with the light body and helps make the beer even more smooth. The main complaint I have is that the peachiness make the beer a little syrupy and leaves a bit of syrupy residue in your mouth after drinking.

Overall - 4/5
Overall, I love the taste of this beer. I love how light it is, making it perfect for a summer day. The main complaint I have would be the syrupyness which detracts from the drinking experience, both while drinking, and after drinking, due to the residue. Still, an overall good fruit beer from DFH.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a hazy light yellow with a two-finger foamy white head. The head fades quickly leaving some very light lacing.

S- Faint aroma of wheat, lemon, and peach.

T - The taste starts with a sharp tartness. The tartness rounded out by some lemon and peach. The is some bready malts in the finish.

M - Light bodied with high carbonation. Very crisp and refreshing with a dry finish.

O - A decent Berliner Weiss. I don't pick up much peach in the flavor, but still very refreshing.

3.47/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

355ml Bottle as a gift from Virginia, USA:
I quite enjoyed this one from Dogfish Head, it definitely wasn't the classic that I was hoping for but it had enough going for it to keep things interesting and enjoyable, particularly because I've frequently found Berliner Weisse beers a little too strong and overpowering at times. The beer had a pleasant citrus and peach taste to it that went down relatively easily, particularly after it settled down and opened up some; it's one well worth trying but I'd probably opt for something else over this one if I ever came across it in future.

Festina Pêche from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery