ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

Ratings: 4,870 | Reviews: 1,751
Reviews by BilbosNuts:
4.02/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a clear copper color with a high amount of carbonation. It has a creamy, two finger, off white colored head that sticks around for a few minutes and leaves behind nearly solid rings of lacing.

S: Nice hop profile that includes slight pine and citrus aromatics. A moderate toasted malt presence provides a solid backbone. The addition of the apricots complements the hops and malts perfectly.

T: The taste is much more malty than hoppy and isn't as well balanced as the aroma. The apricots have a moderate presence towards the finish and a slight bitterness from a hoppy bite finishes it off.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. The bitterness at the end creates a refreshingly crisp finish.

O: I enjoyed this IPA quite a bit. The addition of apricots provided a refreshing new spin on a style that has been beaten into the ground. I'll continue to pick this up seasonally.

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

Had this last night at Bukowski's. Very intersting stuff. Kind of like Magic Hat # 9, but doubled and with much more hops. It had a huge apricot and hop nose, very light & creamy on the palate, very falvourful and very drinkable. An IPA that meets a fruit beer. Hmm? I like it.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Tasted like a big fat Magic Hat #9 (Magic Hat Brewing, Vermont). IPA … ? Huh? This is an experimental beer regardless of what the brewery says. An IPA with fruit added is experimental, flowing smoothness and almost reminiscent of some new Belgian upstarts that throw fruit and excessive hops into a delicate brew. Madness that I like.

2.16/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The Pour:
Not alot of head. Dissipated almost immediately. It just, sort of, beaded up in the middle.

The Look:
Light ruby color. The head is white. Go figure, red beer and white head.
There was minimal carbonation. Just a small stream coming from the bottom. Although, as the beer warms up, the carbonation does become more pronounced.

Aroma:
It wasn't really what I was expecting. I don't smell any apricot. The aroma was very similar to the 60 minute IPA. Light malt, light hop, just light everything.
The crystal malts were probably the most prominent aroma.

Taste:
I was pleasantly surprised because there was no apricot/peachy flavors to speak of. Only an astringent peachy aftertaste. The Hops and Malt are definitely the prominent taste in this beer.
The apricot definitely doesn't do anything for this beer. It's almost as if it was an unwanted accident. And DFH said, let's just go ahead and bottle this beer anyway.

Verdict:
It's very astringent, it's not very hoppy. I can drink it without cringing (I guess). This is just... It's not that good. Definitely not as good as what they are charging for it. I would give this a 'C'.

I'm never gonna buy this again. I'm never gonna look for this. I'm gonna get through this glass but... It's nothing special. I'm definitely not going to waste my money buying another one of these.

I don't really care for the astringent aftertaste that the apricots provide. The plus is that it's NOT a fruit beer, as the name would suggest. But on the down side, It's certainly NOT an IPA either. I've had weak American Ales with more hop presence than this. The hops are VERY subdued. The DFH websites describes it as being... "continuously hopped with irresponsible amounts of amarillo hops."

Irresponsible? I don't think so. Maybe in the brewery, but it doesn't come through in the smell or taste.

Worth the Money:
So based on all of that, is it worth the money?
$2.99 per single bottle == .25 cents per oz
$10.99 per 4 pack. == .23 cents per oz
$9.99 per 1/2gal growler. == .16 cents per oz.

I don't believe in 4 packs. Especially not for a beer with such low quality (compared to the style it is classified under). If this were about $9 for a 6 pack, I can see myself paying that for this particular beer. But it's not worth more than that. And I am stretching here to find some positive aspects.

Most people like this beer. I don't know why. But you make your own decision. Maybe this beer's for you and maybe it isn't.

1.7/5  rDev -55.7%

Apricots? Sure! IPA? Sure! Together? Hell no.

I really wanted to like this. Apricots are one of my favorite fruits, and IPAs make me happy. Why cant this bee good? It lacks any of the nuanced silkyness that an apricot has, and simply assaults your mouth with a silly sweetness, a dimensionless bitter, and a dirty after taste.

Dogfish head, this is very borderline.

2.5/5  rDev -34.9%

Poured out nice into a tall glass with good color. Little foam head that didn't stay long.
Smell was good but didn't taste at all like it smelled.
I bought this on recommendations but I'm sorry to say.
Didn't like this beer couldn't even finish it.
I will pass on it if I see it agin.

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

Pours a deep orange with a nice big fluffy head that leaves a nice amount of lace behind,aromas of sweet apricot and zesty,piney hop very nice mingling of aromas.Apricot notes hit the taste buds up front but a dry,piney hop presence makes it self known pretty quickly but once again stays well balanced with apricot flavor.I really like the concept and flavors of this beer and its dangerously drinkable at 7% I will get again for sure sometime.

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Courtesy of Malto....thanks again!

Appearance: very nice amber pour with a generous frothy head

Smell: nice blend of hoppiness with some malty sweetness. not too much apricot in the nose but fruity nonetheless.

Taste/Mouthfeel: again, malty up front followed by good hoppiness mid sip. the apricot fruitiness peeks out late in the sip and meshes together with the hop bitterness. a medium bodied beer with some richness to it. bitter on the finish but pleasant. apricot notes linger long afterwards although subtle.

Drinkability: the apricot here seems toned down making this, for the most part, an IPA. not sure if the combo is doing it for me. i'd rather have an IPA or an Apricot Wheat. having said that, it's an above average brew of solid quality.

4.05/5  rDev +5.5%

Appearance – This nice-looking darkish-orange beer sported a good, retentive, orangish-white head.

Smell – The light, ripe apricots were intermixed with some sharp piney notes and a good, balancing malt base.

Taste – The toasted malts and complex hops (mostly pine and citrus) were evenly mixed and went well with the light apricot flavor. There’s also a small nutty character that adds to the natural apricot character.

Mouthfeel – This beefy Fruit Beer is a bit bigger than medium-bodied. It is very hoppy with a strong malt base infused with luscious apricots.

Drinkability – This is a great beer from a great brewery. The beer came across very strong and fibrous.

Lovely clear orange body with a thick, lasting, creamy, and luscious talcum head. Strong almost juniper like pine sap aroma. Apricot is light and subtle in the nose. Taste is quite neat. This beer manages to be extremely hoppy without being bitter in any way. The apricot is hardly noticeable for me. I almost don’t consider this a fruit beer. Finish is acidic and spicy but hardly bitter. Could be a touch more dry. Overall I find this very reminiscent of a good English India Pale Ale.

3.06/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

Pours a deep and rustic copper color with some glaring ruby hints when held up to the light. Exceptional clarity, especially considering the relatively dark hue of the beer. A somewhat soapy looking, beige-tinted head is quick to settle to a skin no more than an eighth-inch high, not much lacing left behind on the glass. I really do love the color and clarity of this beer.

Too bad the aroma isn't as wonderful as the color. Sure, there's some apricot here. A little bit. Kind of a "sweet" apricot flavor. I'd like to open up and enjoy this fruity goodness a bit more, but unfortunately I keep getting distracted by the heavy weediness of the hop bill. Extremely grassy, weedy, and dirt-laden hop notes jump in and take away from the beauty of the apricots. The caramel malt is barely detectable in the finish - again, thanks to the overbearing and mildly unpleasant hop abrasion.

Fortunately the taste is a bit better and doesn't contain quite so much of that weed-like character (and I mean "weed" as in "garden weeds" not "dank nugs"). Apricot hits up front with a very small rush of tartness that quickly forms into a softer sweetness. Something goes a little awry during the transition, however, as the aftertaste contains a slightly medicinal and chalky vibe with the leftover apricot flavor - think similar to a chewed up Flintstones vitamin.

The hops are a little more leafy and vibrant as the beer warms up - anything to take away from the hops' first impression is a plus (well, except for maybe the chewed up vitamin flavors). Not too bitter considering it's an IPA, and the 7% ABV goes completely unnoticed, which is also a plus. Sweet malts account for much of the finish, as well as some of the fading, medicinal apricot. Thin-medium bodied with a hefty dose of carbonation giving a slick and somewhat crisp mouth feel.

I was expecting a little more from this, although in the past, I've been kind of let down by DFH's fruit-infused beers. Apricots must hard to pull off in beers of the "non-sour" variety, as many of them contain that same medicinal, chalky flavor in the finish. Surprisingly enough, that wasn't my biggest complain here. What was up with that dirty aroma? All in all, something I put down quite easily, but probably wouldn't have again.

4.17/5  rDev +8.6%

A: Poured into a medium sized wine glass, this beer is a hearty copper color that carries a 1/2 inch khaki head. The head retention is quite good and the lacing starts frothy and thick on the sides of the glasses and becomes spindly as the foam creeps back into the glass.

S: Very intriguing. The aroma of uber-fresh apricots collides with a fairly tame hop profile to create a sweet, fruity, and slightly piney scent. I can also detect a pretty sweet and full malt bill that complements the namesakes of the beer. This is one of the freshest smelling brews to which I have put my nose.

T: There is a lot more earthy hop flavor than I expected after smelling so much sweetness in the nose. This is a pleasant surprise, I would say. The balance between the apricot and hop tastes is just about right. I was worried that this beer would be too fruity, but after an initial blast of sweet apricot, the hops become the dominant force in my mouth. This is appropriate and makes me happy.

M: Aprihop leaves a pretty thin feel on my palate, but I do like how the sweetness of the apricots and the bitterness of the hops collide and play on my tongue.

D: My brain is telling me that this would be a phenomenal summer IPA. The choice of fruit works quite well with the hop dosage of an IPA, and I will be having this again on a hot summer day. This is a crisp and refreshing American IPA.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

Dogfish Head Aprihop. Ipa brewed with real apricots... 7% alcohol.

A- Pours a flawless crystal clear amber fluid with very light head that falls to a small rim around the glass. Light lacing falls back into the brew very slick.

S- Light scents of abricots and dull hoppy notes as well. Almost a fruity sweet essense. Simple nothing special.

T-M- Taste is much different than any other IPA I've ever tasted... First is a sweet apricot flavor also a tangy sweetness like sour patch kids.(candy) In the backbone is a slight hop bitterness that adds a tart but not a bad flavor. Rolls over the tongue like juice leaving mild carbonation to allow a good overall experience as flavors dance over the taste buds. (Note) As beer warms up malts are noticed.

D- A fruity spritzer of a beer. Not bad but not something I could drink a whole lot of. More of a fruit beer not ipa, but by all means worth a try.

3.39/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Poured crystal clear, looking a lot like apple juice. There was a thin white soap-bubble head at the pour that very quickly diminished to a very thin layer of white bubbles at the edge of the glass. No lacing.

S: Fruity apricot aromas mixed with light malts makes for an intriguing first whiff. With some agitation and a deep inhale, you can also make out some sort of faint light hops.

T: Interesting. Apricot fruit flavors are prominent but with a complicated mix of malt overtones. There really isn't much of a sweetness to this despite the fruit, but rather a relatively dry experience. The finish is mostly clean with a dry linger of apricot.

M&D: Very light, almost water in texture but this isn't necessarily bad as it goes pretty well with the fruit. The carbonation is very light but seemed persistent throughout the experience. The first few pulls seem relatively smooth but it seems to gather on the tongue over the course of the drink. It's interesting, even tastes refreshing at first, but I really did get sort of tired of it quickly. Definitely worth a try as it isn't bad. But one was enough for me.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

On draft: Malty, little bitterness, no apricot flavor, thick mouthfeel, delicious. 4.25
Bottled: apricot-forward flavor that dissipates quickly. 3.25

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%

I've been waiting to try this one and finally found a single....here goes. Pours a nice deep amber orange with a huge fluffy white head...and I mean huge. Duvel style...and I didn't even pour agressively..some crazy lacing to boot. Flowery, fresh cut grass hops swirl into my nose along with citrus and hints of apricots. Nice.

First sip is a nice warm hop kick...floral and citrusy with a nice sweet caramel malt and just enough fruity apricot flavor to tie it all together. Good biterness here...mmm...fruity hop burps. A nice twist on an IPA.

Mouthfeel is good, a tad bit thin but that just makes it go down that much easier. Drinkability is very good here to....forget the 4 pack..put this in sixers! A tasty treat anytime...but I think this would be even better on a nice summer day.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

This is one of my favorite seasonal offers form DFH. I poured the bottle into my DFH snifter. It is a very nice dark amber color with an off white head. Not a huge head and it disappears quickly.

Smell is more of a floral hops not smelling much of the fruit. Very nice smell

Taste is wonderful mix between a good IPA with a little fruit and sweet finish

Mouthfeel is nice a little thin but nice

overall- I enjoy this brew it reminds me that spring is on it's way. I purchase a fair amount of it every year and am never dissapointed

4.85/5  rDev +26.3%

I really loved this take on an IPA. It's about perfect balance. It's hoppier than an average IPA, not as hoppy as 90 minute IPA, but the (sweetness?) of the apricots balances the harshness of the hops and makes for a crisp but very smooth glass of beer and the fullest flavor and highest ABV of anything I can honestly say was "gone in 60 seconds". It went down like a light pisner or lager on a 90 degree day but felt like a full bodied beer in my mouth. I really can't imagine changing a thing.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

Hadn'een this before, so I guess it's a seasonal release. I guess it's worth a try if you've never had it, but not a beer I'd take seriously. It's an orange color with a small head. It has a sweet, fruity (yes, apricot) odor, and a fruity (apricot again) taste. There's also a fair amount of hoppiness. It's somewhat robust, although not in a pleasant way. Try it, but don't make it a steady date.

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%

I could put these back all day. And did.

My friends and I had a BBQ recently and I put a four pack of these in my fridge. I opened one up and was immediately hit with the apricot smell. I was not sure what i was in for, but upon taking the first sip, I decided that this beer was great.

Apricot is a funny beer additive in the sense that there isn't much middle ground. Pyramid's apricot is weak, Magic Hat #9 is poorly balanced, but the Aprihop strikes it perfect. The taste is subdued by the alcohol content and the booze is masked by the apricot. You never realize you are drinking something pretty strong.

Until you're 3 in the hole of course.

2.93/5  rDev -23.7%

This Dogfish beer in my Dogfish glass looks oh-so-good (particularly on this hot spring day). It's like the perfect translucent brown--not amber like a red or yellow like your traditional macro-brew, but dark enough to offer substance yet light enough to appear refreshing on a day like today. The full inch of head settles to a thin layer of foam that covers the top.

The smell is confusing. I don't know if it's the apricots or what, but the beer doesn't smell too good. Believe it or not, it reminds me of a warm, half-full Miller Lite. I've got to hold the glass up and look at it to convince myself that's not what it is. The bottom line is that I don't like the smell.

Well, the taste is better than the smell, but not as good as the look. It's kinda weird--the sweet apricots occasionally make me squint my eyes and pucker my mouth like I just bit into a lemon. I think of lemons, take another sip, and the beer's reminiscent of sweet tea. It's like the beer equivalent of sweet tea vodka. As I try to embrace the hop taste...I don't really taste any. I guess it's what makes this drink taste like a beer, but it's certainly not like most IPAs I've had. In my experience, adding fruit to an IPA (or even DIPA) really disguises the hops. This is no different.

Mouthfeel is average. It's not real hoppy so I miss the enamel-pulling characteristic of hop monsters, and the apricots offer a weird (but unique) sweetness. Oddly, though, the mouthfeel is thin and lacking significant substance. That seems unusual for a DFH production.

Drinkability is okay. The beer is fairly refreshing, but it yearns for identity--is it an IPA or a fruit beer? I've read about the recent recipe change (and talk of going back to the original), so this is literally a beverage without a definite identity. This one's fresh--bottled in 2/09--but I'd agree that this recipe needs some tweaking.

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with a creamy white head that goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is bready malts, apricots, and some peppery hops.

The flavor is sweet and sugary apricots (almost pixie stick like) initially and a little pepper and caramel malt leading to a decent bitter hoppiness. I really like the balance between the fruits and the hops. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth.

Overall, an intriguing IPA. I like it, but it's probably a bit too expensive for me to get too often ($8 a 4 pack).

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer pours a golden amber with a big big head. The head forms the glass with a delicate lace

The aroma is sweet and fruity. The mix of fruity hips and the apricots mixes very well. This is perhaps the best smelling "fruit beer" but we'll see how it tastes.

The taste is good an ipa but perhaps a little more sweet up front. The flavor is sweet malt to start it quickly becomes fruity and citrus. the taste lingers and finishes leaving nearly no taste at the end very interesting.

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours amber with decent head and sticky lacing. Aroma is typical IPA with a citrusy kick. Taste is bready malt followed by a sweet hops kick. Very interesting -- reminds me of DFH 90 minute with less alcohol bite. Apricots sweeten the mix but are subtle considering the name. Mouthfeel is excellent. Not syrupy, but very full bodied. Very drinkable; each sip invites another and it goes down fast. Perfect spring seasonal.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazed, bright orange body with a very minimal offwhite head that leaves sparse patchy lace on the glass.

Hops greet the nose first, with a powerful aroma of pine resin and citrus. The citrus is grapefruit, and the apricot aroma is remotely in the background.

Mouthfeel reveals prickly carbonation and a moderate hops bite.

The taste is aggressively hopped, as with other Dogfish Head IPAs, with a pine sap dominance and citrusy grapefruit just underneath. Apricots are barely picked up, regardless of the sampling temperature. Alcohol is hidden very well in this one.

I have a blossoming love affair with the occasionally rough hops used in Dogfish Head IPA's, and this ale is another fine example of their well constructed IPA's. For some reason, my bottle simply was lacking the apricot presence, in taste and aroma, that I was expecting.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery