ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,721 | Hads: 4,927

Great mix of Fruit in the a beer with lots of hops aroma and taste.I was not sure about even trying it. I thought it would be to sweet and have no hop taste, but it really surprised me. I love this stuff and am going to try and brew my own batch!

Cheers! (255 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +30.1%

Pours copper orange, with a somewhat poor white head. The head is a bit fizzy, which I know from experience is a problem with wheat beers.

Smell is a mix of rich toasted malt, resiny hops and juicy peaches.

Sweet toasted malts up front blend into a wonderfully peachy citrus hop experience. Ends with a measured bitterness accompanied by a fanastic bready flavor.

Very big mouthfeel, an absolutely fantastic beer, one of DFH's finest. (444 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +30.1%

wooowww. this beer is F@#$ing fantastic. pours a clear amber-copper color, the aroma of apricots and hops is fantasticly overwhelming. Not sure i'm going to find a beer i'll enjoy much more than this one. perfect for a sunny spring/summer day, but i could enjoy this beer year round no question about it. if you have never had the pleasure of enjoying this beer. i suggest you do so asap. (388 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +29.3%

a: light amber, clear, small white head
s: apricots, lemon, pine needles
t: tastes like DFH 60 min with a nice blend of citrus and apricots. the sweetness of the fruit smooths out the hops
m: really smooth. the hop bite is smoothed out by the sugars in the fruit.
d: this is like the 60 min but better. I want this all year round. can't wait for next spring! (358 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +28.8%

Beer pours a light copper color with a thick, frothy head. The aroma is hoppy and full of the apricot essence. The taste gives away a wonderful hoppiness balanced with some sweetness from the apricots. It leaves a smooth mouthfeel and does not come off as too bitter or too sweet. Well balanced beer and certainly a better example than the other beer of this style that I sampled. (380 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I usually don't like any extra ingredients in an IPA, but this is an exception. Shares a similar flavor profile with DFH 60 and 90 Minute IPA, but with enough sweetness to round the edges off and make it extremely drinkable. I wouldn't have probably called apricot if I hadn't known, but it's a good fit; there's a definite fruity hop flavor but its not overpowering. There are many IPAs where the hops alone are more citrus tasting than this, but this is a perfect balance. Looks and smells great as well. Another amazing beer from one of the truly best, most original breweries in a crowded field. (604 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +27.7%

Excellent looking deep golden clear brew, with a massive off white head that seems to stand still. Light bubbles rise up to the head. Good citrousy hop aroma, with a slight hint of the labelsake's apricots. Taste is hoppy , yet refined. Nice citrous flavors with the slight taste of apricot keeping things smooth. Grainy tastes and a decent maltiness hold it together nicely.Great hop flavor, with a mild bitterness finishing things. This beer tastes like the perfect summer IPA. Medium bodied, with a slick, starts wet/finishes dry mouthfeel.Dry aftertaste, but great lingering hop flavors. Drinkability is top notch, I could drink this to no end. Excellent. (659 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +27.7%

Appearance: Oh so pretty. Dark golden with a head that slowly subsides to lacing.

Smell: An ineluctably tempting combination of fruit and hops that wafted toward my nose as soon as I opened the bottle. Springlike but grownup.

Taste: This is the first fruit beer, beyond He'brew Rejewvenator (before they went from figs to dates), that I have ever enjoyed. The hops/apricot counterpoint is perfect: assertive hops paired with gentle apricot, grassy and sweet. Almost unworldly.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, round, caramel feeling, a wee syrupy but in a nice way. The mouthfeel is the most seductive part of this beer.

Drinkability: Dangerously so. At 7% ABV this is not beer for chugging, but it goes down very easily, . Made me sad I had no blue cheese in the house! (764 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +27.5%

Poued into a large flaired tulip glass from a 12oz brown long neck bottle with a crimped-on cap

Clear,viberant reddish/orange with a glowing red hue,beautiful color.
2" creamy white head with good retention leaving lace curtians on top of the glass lots of spotty lacing the rest of the way down.
Very lively looking beer many tiny bubbles stringing together very tightly knit together streaming from the sides and center of the glass.

Very clean pleasing aroma, nice blast of apricot just perfect,not overdone,but plenty of it with some slight carmell notes,no real hop aroma detected.

Clean taste the ipa malts tastes come through a bit a the start with a good carmell feel with some slight burnt notes. The apricot taste just blends in perfectly. Amazing balance of tastes. Just a very slight hint of alcohol with some slight hop bittering detected.
Finishes with a refeshing apricot blast with clean sharp mouthwatering bitterness. The taste doesn't get much better for a fruit beer.

Suprizingly light mouthfeel very creamy, juicy describes the mouthfeel best. Goes down so easy the light.creamy feel and the balance of tastes make this beer exceptionally drinkable and very enjoyable.
One of the best fruit beers i've ever tasted. A must try beer in my book. (1,279 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +27%

I really loved this take on an IPA. It's about perfect balance. It's hoppier than an average IPA, not as hoppy as 90 minute IPA, but the (sweetness?) of the apricots balances the harshness of the hops and makes for a crisp but very smooth glass of beer and the fullest flavor and highest ABV of anything I can honestly say was "gone in 60 seconds". It went down like a light pisner or lager on a 90 degree day but felt like a full bodied beer in my mouth. I really can't imagine changing a thing. (496 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +27%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: clear deep amber with a nice red hue, head light cream color that fades to thin layer of persistent bubbles

S: inviting apricot with floral tropical hop smell pineapple and mango have a light presence.

T: a rush of hoppy fruity wondefulness I hate living where I am now with no access tothis brew.

O: Awesome I love this beer so much I tried to replicate it as an extract. The IPA portion was tasty but it was ruined when I added the apricot. I need a new approach but back to the beer. I look forward to the release of this beer every year I was fortunate enough to have experienced this run with randall off the tap and it was phenomenal. Not too fruity an IPA lover wouldn't like it but not too hoppy a fruit beer lover wouldn't want it again. Quite a treat from dogfish. (780 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +26.7%

A: pours a lighter mahogany with ruby tinges. It starts with two fingers of dirty white head that slowly thins to about half a finger and leaves some nice lacing.

S: its floral but tart in the nose, blood orange and lemony hints with some mild fruits muddled in.

T: still floral but the apricots come in unlike the nose and take over. Fruity but tart, a nice hop profile keeps it from being cloyingly sweet and fruity.

MF: refreshing but not to light of a body. Good carbonation.

O: one of my favorite seasonal brews and my favorite overall to take on a hike. (567 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +26.4%

What a refreshing beer. I definitely know why this is their Spring seasonal because it is excellent to drink in this weather. You can smell sweet fruits with that apparent apricot and some pine and some fruitiness from the cascade hop. I can always tell if they use a cascade hop if I just think back on how Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale smells. The taste is very nicely balanced with a sweet caramel bread like malt with the sweetness from the apricot hop flavor and malt in the middle and the apricot in the back melding together with the hop bitter finish. The sweet and bitter tastes in this beer are perfectly combined.

I could tell they wanted to make this different than their 60 minute IPA so they used a completely different malt bill which is a rich sweet caramel and bread. I like that you can taste like you ate a fruit even minutes after your last sip. That is a sign of an amazing beer in my mind. They really used the right hops for this beer to meld with the apricots to make it seem like its not a fruit beer at all.... which is probably why they call it a fruit beer for hopheads. Not to mention the apricots taste REAL, they definitely don't use a cheap overly flavored extract.... which accounts for a better fruit balance with the hops.

Dogfish really nails the tastes of their beers and when they say thats how it will taste thats how it will definitely taste in a balanced manner. There are so many other flavors than just the apricot in this that it just makes it an awesome complex beer that anybody can enjoy. (1,541 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +26.2%

One of my favorite beers. If you want to try a hoppy beer but afraid of the aftertaste, this is for you. Very smooth from start to finish ending on the apricot taste. Pours an attractive rusty color with a hoppy yet fruity smell. A great you'll need to stock up on... (267 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +25.7%

God I love this beer. I love big hops and fruit beers, so this is a natural beauty for me. Knowing it was going out of season, I stocked up on this for the winter and am happy I did.

Neither the hops or the fruit is overbearing, and the mix is a perfect balance of hoppy, citrusy, fruity goodness.

Another Dogfish Head masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. This is truly one of my favorite beers. (397 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +25.7%

I loved it! DFH never ceases to amaze, do they? To start off, it is a golden amber colour, clear with a white fluffy head. Smells maybe a bit apricoty, a bit citrusy, I guess from the hops, but mostly malty actually. I had a few bottles of it and I still am not getting the apricots, and there's not any extreme hoppiness that would warrant a name with HOP in it. Besides all that though, I truly enjoyed this beer and if I could I'd make it my 'regular.' Mouthfeel is very smooth and just the right thickness. Not very thick but I couldn't call it thin. Basically it's not extreme in any way,. but it is so well blended that I think I'll be buying bottles for as long as supplies last! (686 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +25.4%

appearance: Amber with a creamy head

smell: Fruit up front and also flowers and hops. Spring is here.

taste: Starts with an intense taste of hops. I like how the hops are presented in this. The balance of them along with apricots and other fruit is what makes this brew interesting. There is a hoppy aftertaste as well.

mouthfeel: Light carbonation. Creamy and very smooth for a 7% IPA. Nectarish.

drinkability: I can easily drink this brew since it is a laid back IPA. Another Dogfish Head with a subtle 7%. My kind of IPA. I was glad to find this on draft and I will be grabbing 4 packs when I see them. (610 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +24.9%

A decent head on deep amber body.
The smell is of apricots, pine-like hops.
The tase is surprising. Don't go in expecting a fruit beer. This beer benefits from the slight apricot flavors and the goodness of a dogfish ipa. Taste of fruit, sweet malt, and hops. As with all other dogfish brews, this one is well balanced. A step above the 30-minute and better in my opion. If you like the 90 minute, you'll probably enjoy this one as well. (440 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

Dogfish Head is a brewery that is hit and miss for me. I either love their beer or I hate it. That is as much a comentary on the willingness of the Dogfish crew to try some funky things.

This beer is a hit for me. Some brewers add fruit to a beer almost for the interesting nature of adding it creating a "huh that's cool to get that kind of flavor as part of this beer." It is rare to have a beer where the fruit is more than a side note. With this beer, there isn't that "oh this is a cool additional note" with the fruit. Instead you think "oh this is a well balanced beer. Wait the balance to the hops is actually the fruit."

It is wonderful, and I am not a hop head. I wish this beer where available throughout the warmer months. (737 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a bottle.

A: Pours a rich golden, reddish, brown color with a white head.

S: Apricots and hoppy goodness.

T: Had some mild hoppiness to it with a strong taste of spring in the apricot flavor.

M: Medium body.

D: No surprises here in flavor. It tastes just like it smells with a mixture of classic Dogfish Head IPA hoppy kick. (340 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +23.8%

very nice amber color pours with a one inch head that does not last very long. nice mouthfeel slight hoppy taste but the apricot flavor comes right through. slightly sweet sugar taste. very enjoyable beer would definitely buy again and often even though the price is a little high. (281 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +23.8%

I'm excited to try this for the first time! Into a DFH glass this pours a clear and dark reddish-copper color under a sparse but thin well-sustained head. Aroma is an appealing nose of sweet syrup nectar citrus hops (perhaps Apricot noted...?) There's a smooth and delicious punch of hops here that's harmonized wonderfully with the toasted malt and complementary apricot. Cheers to an East Coast IPA Giant! (407 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +23.6%

Not a bad beer. Copperish color with a half finger head. Really not much of a smell. The taste more of the IPA than the apricots but thats ok. Great relaxing beer for a great relaxing day or a great relaxing beer after a major stressful day. Poured this beer into my trusty pint glass as usual (293 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours darkish amber with a decent off-white head. Some retention, slight amount of lacing.

Smells fruity with citrusy hops. Slight caramel malty aroma in the background.

Tastes better than I expected. Very hoppy with the slight flavor of apricots. Very nicely balanced.

Mouthfeel is good, drinkablility is outstanding. I could easily drink this all night.

Overall, a great springtime hoppy/fruity beer. Will be drinking this again for sure. (444 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +23.6%

This stuff is a great spring/summer beer. Swig it down on a hot day, goes down super smooth! This is a apricot beer for the conesiour or hop head. Anyone who thinks Magic Hat #9 is too sweet or wussy should give this a try. Appearance is very pretty, dark coppery color that is see through with a light head. Super smooth drinking. So sweet to drink, yet you get the wonderful hop finish (and a good hop belch if you drink it quick!) This beer is fantastic, look forward to it this time of year! (495 characters)

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery