Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

ApriHopApriHop

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,721 | Hads: 4,927
1.7/5  rDev -55.5%

Apricots? Sure! IPA? Sure! Together? Hell no.

I really wanted to like this. Apricots are one of my favorite fruits, and IPAs make me happy. Why cant this bee good? It lacks any of the nuanced silkyness that an apricot has, and simply assaults your mouth with a silly sweetness, a dimensionless bitter, and a dirty after taste.

Dogfish head, this is very borderline. (369 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -52.4%

bottled 2/3/08

poured a clear golden copper with a 1 finger white head which left minimal lacing

smell is tart(apricots) and bready malts no hops i can detect and i swear i can smell bottled water if thats possible

taste is tart apricots and a little malt - this is an IPA???? need to change this one of course i was expecting 60min with apricots. this beer is too tart. this beer would be much improved with some more malts and hops. this is water with unripe apricots. Complete Rubbish

mouthfeel was medium and overcarbonated imo. it was like drinking apricot soda.

not drinkable imo - but i bought a four pack and the 1st to the last now it has not changed - glad i tried it but never again (698 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -50%

*Updated review on 4-6-08*

Pours out an orange copper with a whipped egg white head and great, busy lacing. Has a nice touch of apricot underneath an overwhelming aroma of a perm. This is like walking by a hair salon. Taste is just like a vague sweet simple syrup with some vague hops and decent apricot flavor underneath. Can't help but taste some perm as the aroma is permeating the taste. Mouthfeel is soft in carbonation but really sticky. This is pretty bad. I don't know if my tastes have changed a lot in the past years or if this year's batch ('08) is just shit. I would assume that my tastes have changed as this beer pretty much falls in line with DFH beers being overly sweet and uninteresting (to me).

9-24-05
Appearance (4.0): Deep copper body; OK sized head; good bit of lacing all the way down

Smell (3.0): I honestly didn't get much from the smell. Weak hop aroma and not much more.

Taste (4.5): Whoa! Even without the apricot background this would be a fantastic IPA, but the apricot goes extremely well w/ the malts and hops. Big hop character like a boot to the gooch. Where's that ABV at?

Mouthfeel (4.5): Near perfect. Not too bubbly, flat, or slick for my tastes.

Drinkability (4.5): I could drink this all night and then have one for breakfast.

Fantastic beer and one I'll surely recommend to others. I was reluctant going in as I'm not one to actively seek out IPAs and I've been disappointed in the past by another apricot beer (by Pyramid). I sure was scared for nothing because this is, even w/out the novelty of the apricot, a beastly IPA. 7% ABV not such a bad bonus. If the price tag wasn't so high, I'd buy it more often. This went very well with a big bowl of red beans, rice and sausage. (1,728 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -49.2%

This beer completely lacks any body at all and comes across as a malt beverage with apricot flavor. (The apricot flavor isn't even that good, to tart and "lonely". The fruit characteristic doesn't come across as integrated into the beer but rather added.#9 had a great marriage of beer and fruit before they changed the recipe. (327 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -49.2%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter, bottled 2011 2C.

A: Hazy reddish-amber-light brown color with one finger of frothy white head which dissipates somewhat quickly, though leaving decent lacing behind.

S: Musty caramel malts and a light, indiscriminate hop bitterness; not picking up any of the purported apricot flavor at all.

T: No apricots once again? Somewhat surprised by this; a bland, slightly metallic, slightly hop bitter flavor is all I'm picking up.

M: Light-bodied with moderate carbonation, with little discernible characteristics. Feels a lot like soda water.

D: Won't be picking this one back up; offers little in comparison to the wealth of other IPAs out there. (683 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -48.4%

12 oz bottled 02/03/09.

Orange body, big initial head, moderate longevity. Clear, some consistent light bubbling.

Pale malt? That is the main small of a quote "serious India Pale Ale"? Smells like noble hops a little, kinda musty but no apricots to be found.

Taste is sour apricot, dramatically underhopped for the style. The apricot taste is nuanced and genuine, tough to pull off and impressive. Covers up the hops. A little yeasty. Seemed sweet initially when it was actually just acid continuing to dominate a beer that struck a balance between sweet and dry. Faintly bitter hops peek through on the finish.

Vigorous carbonation, perhaps designed to mesh with or mask a light body. Finish is prolonged but overly acidic.

While I reviewed against a cross of American IPA X Fruit Beer, an apricot beer can't help but invite comparisons with Magic Hat #9... my $.02 is that #9 blows the doors off of Aprihop. The genuine apricot taste here is nailed, no doubt, but is that a good thing? Do I want to keep drinking it? It's sour, a little sweet, not really so good, definitely not so good at $9.99 a four pack. At least there is no hint of the 7% ABV.

Do better. (1,168 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -46.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a nonic. Bottled 12/08.

Pours a pretty clear golden-amber with some hints of red in the middle. Off-white head that disappears before you know it, leaving behind only a faint ring of bubbles.

This smells, to me, like a Bud/Bud Light. Sweet from the fruit (wouldn't have known it was apricot if this had been a blind tasting). There's a metallic sourness in the end that isn't at all appetizing.

Hugely sour. Sour mouth-puckering aftertaste. Again, not appealing. I wondered if I got a bad 4 pack, but two of the bottles so far have tasted the same way.

I've heard from other people that this year's batch isn't as good as past years. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. But I have a feeling the high marks that have already been given for the current batch and the high marks that will surely follow are just because of the Dogfish Head name and the respect/love they have for the brewery. I have a feeling that if most people had to rate this blind, it would be no better than a C. If this were a BMC, it would have an F with reviews of "tastes like crap." But it's not, and I think people will describe it's uniqueness and inventiveness when they really don't like it. But, those are just my 2 cents. I've had some beers from Dogfish Head that I really enjoyed (60 Minute, Palo Santo), but this one just doesn't do it for me. (1,371 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -44.8%

A--Crystal clear amber with 1 1/2 fingers of white head that recedes at a moderately slow pace leaving decent lacing

S--Bread crust, grass, light hints of fruit

T--Where are the apricots? Maybe this is too cold, but all I get now is a dry maltiness with a bit of a metallic zing that is not appealing. Ok, now there is a bit of a very fake tasting unidentifiable fruit creeping up. Wow, this is really bad, I hope I have a bad bottle because I can barely drink this.

M--Very wierd oily nature that leaves a bad aftertaste

D--This is terrible, I'm going to drain pour the last half of the glass. I have never had this before this year and I can't believe that it has always tasted like this otherwise the rating should be much lower. Gross. (743 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -44.8%

Hops and apricots...those folks at DFH know how to draw out some crazy ideas. On to the beer:

The filtered orange color in this beer shows an array of carbonation bubbles sticking to the glass, the head is fuzzy and drops to a thin lace. There's little firepower in the nose. There's a faint sweetness that reminds me of fruit juice, and a stale grain note. Time to panic?

This is hard to rate. Sharp alcohol, bitter hops, and fruit concentrate-like sweetness. Do I like it or hate it? Eh...that alcohol sting is not pleasant, and the apricot and hop flavors don't meld well. I want to chew on the apricot flavor, it's so gummy. Mouthfeel is light and flimsy.

Take a cheap, oversweetened fruit juice concentrate, then add it to a dull, hoppy beer with an annoying alcoholic bite. A bland, poorly balanced beer. (815 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -44.5%

Bottled 2011

After an aggressive pour into my Founders snifter, 3 fingers of white bubbles on an amber color body.

The most prominent aroma in the nose is ethanol. It seems to have a similar aroma to the 90 min ipa. I also smell pine and fresh cut grass.

The flavor follows the aroma: mostly ethanol, pine, grass, and some citrus. I also taste a plenty of malt and caramel. I do not like the balance of flavors.

Mouthfeel is kind of thick and syrupy. Light carbonation.

Overall, I did not like this beer. This reminds me a lot of the 90 min which I did not like at all. The alcohol is not well integrated-the ethanol aroma and flavor is way too strong.It feels a lot like I am drinking a stronger beer. There is also way too much malt sweetness for me and I dont like the mouthfeel. (788 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

The Pour:
Not alot of head. Dissipated almost immediately. It just, sort of, beaded up in the middle.

The Look:
Light ruby color. The head is white. Go figure, red beer and white head.
There was minimal carbonation. Just a small stream coming from the bottom. Although, as the beer warms up, the carbonation does become more pronounced.

Aroma:
It wasn't really what I was expecting. I don't smell any apricot. The aroma was very similar to the 60 minute IPA. Light malt, light hop, just light everything.
The crystal malts were probably the most prominent aroma.

Taste:
I was pleasantly surprised because there was no apricot/peachy flavors to speak of. Only an astringent peachy aftertaste. The Hops and Malt are definitely the prominent taste in this beer.
The apricot definitely doesn't do anything for this beer. It's almost as if it was an unwanted accident. And DFH said, let's just go ahead and bottle this beer anyway.

Verdict:
It's very astringent, it's not very hoppy. I can drink it without cringing (I guess). This is just... It's not that good. Definitely not as good as what they are charging for it. I would give this a 'C'.

I'm never gonna buy this again. I'm never gonna look for this. I'm gonna get through this glass but... It's nothing special. I'm definitely not going to waste my money buying another one of these.

I don't really care for the astringent aftertaste that the apricots provide. The plus is that it's NOT a fruit beer, as the name would suggest. But on the down side, It's certainly NOT an IPA either. I've had weak American Ales with more hop presence than this. The hops are VERY subdued. The DFH websites describes it as being... "continuously hopped with irresponsible amounts of amarillo hops."

Irresponsible? I don't think so. Maybe in the brewery, but it doesn't come through in the smell or taste.

Worth the Money:
So based on all of that, is it worth the money?
$2.99 per single bottle == .25 cents per oz
$10.99 per 4 pack. == .23 cents per oz
$9.99 per 1/2gal growler. == .16 cents per oz.

I don't believe in 4 packs. Especially not for a beer with such low quality (compared to the style it is classified under). If this were about $9 for a 6 pack, I can see myself paying that for this particular beer. But it's not worth more than that. And I am stretching here to find some positive aspects.

Most people like this beer. I don't know why. But you make your own decision. Maybe this beer's for you and maybe it isn't. (2,475 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -43.5%

This beer is pretty blah, weird at best. Don't know what to really make of it. No characteristics and tastes like a good beer gone bad. I love Dogfish beers, but this one didn't do it for me or my friends. We really just expected more from this beer. (250 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -43.5%

Aprihop pours a sort of boring orange color, with a decent enough white head. Smell showed signs of oxidation in its sort of stale, peppery, almost carbonated smell. Whatever apricot that was in this beer seems to have completely vanished. All that is left are some weak hops, and a bit of grain. Body was medium, perhaps bordering on light. One was way more then enough for me. Im cursing the fact that I spent eight bucks for four of these. Sorry, but for dfh, this beer is sort of a disaster. Maybe I got a poor sample. (522 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -43.2%

Had to try this one because Apricot and IPA aren't two things I'd normally expect to find together in a beer.

This one poured with a low head and a copper color. I cupped my hands over the glass to get my first introduction to the apricots and....where are they? None were detectable in the aroma, and hop aroma was rather low too. Hmmm...

Tasting presents a clean, sharp bitterness, rather one dimensional but clean and pleasant. Of the 4 people we had tasting this, two could taste no apricots at all; the other two picked up a faint bit of fruit in the aftertaste. We all agreed that if we had not read the label to expect apricot, we would not have guessed there was any in there.

Body is rather thin; weak malt profile does not back up the bitterness sufficiently.

Overall, a rather one dimensional beer lacking in even the gimmicky fruit addition. Not recommended. (882 characters)

2.19/5  rDev -42.7%

I did not enjoy this beer. I'm not against adding fruit to beers, but this doesn't work for me. The blend of hops and apricot smells and flavors is off-putting. I don't want to rag on this beer, but the flavor is almost a yogurty, lactic sour, and there just isn't a nice way to say that. I dearly love DFH's IPAs, but this one is just wrong. For my money, these are not complementary flavors and really shouldn't be used together. I don't get some fruit beers. DFH clearly knows how to make good beer, but making a good fruit beer is a tall order for anyone. The fruit flavors aren't bad, per se. It doesn't taste artificial. My problem solely lies in the combination of these particular hop and apricot flavors. I appreciate the experimentation. It tempts me to give the beer a higher score, but I just don't enjoy it. (820 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -40.3%

I was really excited to try this when I saw at my local liq store.
Cracked open the bottle and it poured okay, has a good dark amber color but with almost no head.
The smell made me question my decision to buy this right away. It smells like an adjunct with some soured apricots just lightly coming through.
The taste is pretty much bad. There is weird sourness and a cloying metal taste. There is practically no hop presence at all. Also there is absolutely no lacing and no hops! What kind of an ipa is this supposed to be. A bad excuse for a beer. (551 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -39.8%

At my local and just tapped.

Wow! What a disapointment. Having this last year and really liking it, I was looking forward to this years Aprihop.

Appearance: Pretty good with 1 inch head, nice lacing.

Smell: not much there, can't even get a whiff of Apricots or Hops.

Mouthfeel: average.

Taste was just plain uninspiring. Left a metallic aftertaste that I just couldn't put my finger on.

Maybe tap lines need a cleaning?? I will have to give another try again just to be sure. If it wasn't the tap lines, this is a disappointment from DFH. (546 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -38.7%

I feel like these orchard fruit type flavors show up in the flavor of many dogfish beers, so this should be a natural fit, right?

orangish red clear colored liquid, good head initially, but leaves quick with a slight lacing.

very yeasty, watery smell. little substance, it seems. no real hop aspect to speak of.

wow. way too much fruit here. they weren't lying at all. the apricot just takes over the flavor, with only the slightest hop presence on the back end.

decent enough feel, a bit watery and unsubstantial.

uh, I understand the pitch here. they have succeeded in making a fruit beer. fruit first. but, as a beer, as an ipa as they say on the bottle, it fails. very little actual hop, malt, complexity etc. and that's okay if you are looking for a wine cooler. but I was looking for a beer. (802 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -38.2%

Thank you to akeeper for providing this beer for rating this evening (despite my overall flogging).

Served from a 12oz. bottle in a pint glass at just below cellar temperature.

A - Pours a bright copper amber color with an audible fizziness as if I were pouring a soda. There is a ton of carbon dioxide action in the glass. The rough, tan head rises to about an inch and falls to a thin mat in but a matter of seconds. No lacing whatsoever. The only thing about the look of this beer that's appealing is the bright, truly metallic copper coloring.

S - Metallic yeastiness and bright, almost artificial fruitiness -- only vaguely apricot. A decent hit of spicy hops, but not enough to make it smell good... Something about the smell of this makes me think "macro".

T - A decent maltiness off the bat with a Cheerio like cereal graininess that's not very pleasing. In the middle comes the apricot fruitiness, but it's eclipsed by too much alcohol. Also noticed is a phenolic character that doesn't sit right. Still the odd oat graininess persists. The finish brings a decent smattering of European hops, but once it goes down, it's the wacky Cheerio aftertaste that haunts.

M - Very aggressive on the way into the mouth, but it surprisingly does not blow up as much as I would have thought. Becomes frothy and tingly, but subsides just enough in the finish to make it fairly smooth.

D - Disappointing. One of the few Dogfish Head products that completely misses the mark. Far too much alcohol for what should be a light fruit beer. Completely lacking what all fruit beers should have - a good scent! Overcarbonated. And an overall taste that doesn't know where it's headed. Not something that I would drink again. (1,730 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -38%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Smelled ok I guess, but was REALLY turned off by the tart apricot taste. Was bitter (not in a good way) and dank tasting. Aftertaste like rancid fruit. I only bought two thankfully and ended up giving the other one away to a buddy who didn't like it either. Not sure where they went wrong with this one really. Just a really bad taste combination with too much hops to go well with the bitter apricots. Nearly a drainpour, and the most disappointing beer I've ever had from DFH. (479 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -37.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12oz bottle served in chalice, bottled on 2/3/09 so very fresh.

A: poured with a very very thin to almost no head. color was a nice copper.

S: cider like and very vegatal earthy smell, not appealing, no malt or hops or apricot in the nose

T: tart and thin flavor with just a very slight hint of fruit in the background, couldn't really pull out the apricot specifically. has a very quick finish with little aftertaste. Musty earthiness is present in the flavor as well, like rotting fruit.

M: thin bodied with little mouthfeel, high CO2 content

D: Drinkable if you can get it past your nose

Not impressed at all, especially from such an esteemed brewer. (659 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -36.9%

Beer pours a copper color with an almost pinkish hue when held up to the light. A nice thick head slowly disappears.

The apricot really dominates the nose. It smells more like a jammy, sweet, preserved apricot than fresh apricot. Some hops in the nose, but not much. Get a fair amount of malt aroma as well. Unexpected in an IPA, but this one really isnt an IPA.

Taste is hugely disappointing. It is almost like two flavors that don't work together. The bitterness of the hops of an IPA meet with the sweetness of apricot to create...a very bland, unsatisfying beer. There is a touch of hop spiciness initially on the tongue, before giving way to a very cloying, frustratingly sweet and artificial apricot flavor. Again, it seems like apricot syrup more than fresh apricot. It just aint good.

The mouthfeel is good at least. Thankfully I only bought a single of this. No way I could make it through a fourpack. (914 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -36.9%

Copper colored with a foamy white head. Decent retention and a few lace worms that hang around for awhile.

Smells of sour apricot with faint hop stank.

Tastes of sour apricot that becomes progressively sweeter. Wheres the hops?

Tastes like a Magic Hat #9 gone awry. (268 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -36.1%

Poured is a clear amber color with a slight fluffy, slightly off-white head. Seems a little thick, but that is typical of DFH beers.
The nose is not as sweet as I was expecting, very inviting. There is a nice amount of citrus, but the apricots are definitely there but not too much by any means.
Here's where the beer loses for me. Bitterness is way out of wack and not from the hops where it should come from, but from what tastes like a sour funk from wild yeast; and a lot of it. The apricots are there but offer no balance to the overall beer.
The body is medium, a little under carbonated for the style and given the sweetness, it's a bit dry. Just wierd.
Just no balance in this beer for me. If it was free, I don't think I would partake. Maybe better on tap, who knows... (779 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -35.6%

Dogfish Aprihop poured a amber color, witht he perfect head, an absoulte picture perfect looking beer, it had a strong hoppy and apricot smell to it, however the taste was horrible, the apricot was just wayyy too overpowerfully, and it just did not mix in well with the hops, and it is a hoppy beer, I found it really hard to drink one, a rare disapointment from Dogfish Head. (376 characters)

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery