ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

Well this one called to me at the store this week, beckoning me with the tag line "A serious India Pale Ale brewed with real apricots."
Pours a clear deep golden color reddish/orange hues, with a thinnish off white head that dissipates quickly. Smells of apricots, sulfur, hay or grass, not very remarkable. Taste is a little sweet, tart and fruity, but not much IPA here. Leaves a tart fruity almost caramel taste on my tongue. Medium high level of carbonation, slick/sticky mouthfeel, medium body. 7% alcohol is well hidden. Nothing offensive here, but it doesn't work for me. Maybe apricots aren't my favorite fruit, but I was reeled in with the serious IPA pitch, and IPA this ain't.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured a nice golden orange color from the bottle into a pint glass which produced very little head.

Has a sweet apricot smell.

Tastes a little sour, bitter, and of course like apricots!

Is light with a bitter sour aftertaste.

Would definitely drink again, but will not hoard it or go out of my way to find it.

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%

Poured from a bottle (bottled on 3/4/09) into a tumbler glass.

A: Pours a clear caramel color with a thin white head. Lace sticks to the glass after each sip.

S: Cut hay, faint apricot aroma, not a whole lot going on here surprisingly.

T: Tartness on the front. I suppose that's the apricot, but if it is, it's very subdued. Turns to a quick blast of bitterness that disappears completely in a second. Finish is a little sour.

M: A tad slick, but relatively light in body.

D: Not too impressed with this one. The tartness of the apricot seemingly kills any hop flavor or aroma. Disappointing since it is advertised as a serious IPA. Glad that I tried it, but now I have 3 more to give away...

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours a clear bronze with two fingers of off white foam. Fizzy head drops quickly to a thin sheet. Nose has some apricot and metal, hints of earthiness and and grassy hop. Very acidic up front, middle is chalky and quite dry, and finished with a mild bitterness. Apricot flavour is subdued and the hops are overwhelmed by the tartness. This one isn't working for me.

3.07/5  rDev -19.8%

A- Small off white head with okay retention and weak lacing.

S- Mild malt aroma, caramel and bread. Some nice hop and fruity aromas I am guessing apricot.

T- Sweet fruity flavors with mild tartness. Light malt and dry bitterness in th end.

M- Nice light oily feeling. With a wave of tart and dryness in the end.

Yet another beer with fruit added to it that I do not enjoy.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Pours a delicious burnished amber colour, looks very thick in the body, lots of languous large-bubbled carbonation feeding a lightly filmy head of off-white foam. Lacing is good. Looks pretty tasty overall.

Oh man... There's something so classic about the American IPA that we just can't get in Australia. This aroma, full of sweet fruit and pepper, takes me right back to my last trip to the US. It's not as full on as some IPA aromas, a bit sweeter, and less of the pungent potency, but still very tasty.

On the palate lie those hidden apricots. Initial robust IPA character is then leavened by a sweet-sour dried apricot flavour, that adds a little bit of quirky fun. In all honesty, it fits rather nicely with the sharp hop characters. There is, however, not the level of back palate bitterness I would have expected. But again, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

A very drinkable brew. Undoubtedly odd, but assuredly enjoyable.

4.37/5  rDev +14.1%

This is what I think Magic Hat #9 should have been. As a Vermonter (I've lived within 20 mins from the Magic Hat factory as long as they've been around) #9 is kind of a standard for me (A "Not Quite Pale Ale" with Apricots in it as well). But this really just brought the nice hit of apricots with the hop profile of a nice IPA.

Something very different and quite refreshing, if you see this around, pick up a 4-pack on a nice hot day.

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this in 2012, and while I think it's better than what I rated it in back in 2009, it's a bit TOO apricot for my likes. As an example, a No. 9 by Magic Hat tones it down just a bit to make the fruit not over bearing.

My rating is based off personal preference. If you like sweet, really sweet, beers, this seems high quality. I, personally, am not a fan of overly sweet brews.

Dark red, orange in color. Clear, slightly bubbly with limited head and lace. Very fruity scent.

Extremely carbonated. Apricots really come through. Too fruity for my taste. Kind of upset my stomach.

3.87/5  rDev +1%

The beer is somewhat of a copper / amber color and smells fantastic. Unlike magic hat #9 which seems like the most obvious comparison, the sweet apricot smell really sticks with the beer and is awesome. The apricot flavor really sticks out alot, but subsides and allows the subtle hop flavor to come out, leaving you with a slight bitterness reminiscent of an actual apricot.

I have always been a big #9 fan, as I like beers with interesting flavors and twists on more common styles, but in all honestly, this blows it out of the water. Compared to #9, this is a heavier, more substantive beer (aprihop is truer to the IPA style). Highly recommended.

2.47/5  rDev -35.5%

Half growler from New Beer. Poured into a squared off pint glass.

Filtered copper body, gooey inch of off-white froth.

Smell is a mute IPA. A squirt of tangerine & peach at the end. Very ho-hum.

Taste again, is a very paltry pale. Very little malt, faded earthy hops, with more flavor & bitterness coming from the rindy, soured fruit itself. A weak, almost stale base beer. Lemongrass, peaches, half-ripe apricots(skins, pits & all), the fruit is what's interesting here. Bittersweet, it saves this "beer" from being absolute junk. The noticeable alcohol doesn't seem to mingle with the rest of the beer. A little feel of graininess on the finish keeps gives the actual base beer at least one positive aspect.

Feel is average to strong in carbonation, with a good froth always getting on your lips. It feels a little stiffer on tap, but don't ask me to put down $6 for another glass. Beer is very light-bodied for 7%.

The base beer needs some real work. :|

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

P- Brass Rail

A- a gorgeous amber orange pour that is somehwhat clear but has some carbonation rising throughout. A half finger head that quickly dissipates though.

S- huge on the aprioct (obviously). a nice citrus mixed with a well balance malt and floral aroma.

T- a sour and acidic apricot flavor splashed with a lemon type of malt. Not as hoppy as one would think for an IPA. Very tasty on the backend with apricot and floral buds.

M- somewhat dry yet quite refeshingly smooth. The acidity in the beer tricks the mouth into thinking its more citrusy like lemon.

D- Overall a good beer to have but more than 2 and the sourness would get to a person and it might hinder from drinking a sixer on the weekend.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. The neck had a lasered bottled on date of 2/12/09. It was a clear bronze color with a few carb streams but no lacing. It had a very small head that quickly dissipated into a thin collar.

The aroma was surprisingly well balanced. You can smell the apricots but instead of dominating they blend in with the citrus hops and caramel malt. The taste however is pure sweet apricot. Eye puckering sweet with pretty just apricot showing thru. The hop and malt in the nose just disappear in the taste. The taste is OK for a few drinks but then I'm dreading the rest of the glass. Kinda a struggle to finish it but I did. Light to medium body with the aforementioned pucker factor.

Overall, an interesting beer that I wanted to like but just missed the mark for me. Mild recommend but one and done for me. I really respect what Dogfish is doing with their beers but they are still hit or miss for me unfortunately.

[1x]

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

A- nice deep amber/reddish hue, good head
S- Sour apricots, a little acetic, slight hint of malt
T- Sour apricots with slight malt. Even a little hint of peach, but thats from the apricots
M- good mothfeel, very carbonated and a little 'juicy'
D- Its drinkable, but what is it??

I am very confused by this beer. Is it an IPA with apricots, like the bottle says, or an apricot pale ale?
This just came to California and I was very excited to try this. Once I drank the first one, I was confused. I then drank a bottle each night for the next four days before this review, and alas, Im still confused.
Is it a good beer? Yes I think it is, but for a supposed 'serious' IPA, there is virtually no hop aroma or flavor to this beer . All I get when I drink this is a juicy sour apricot flavor that kind of dominates the flavor profile of the beer. And I think what throws me off is the label. When DFH says 'serious' IPA, I have visions of their 90 Minute, and this beer doesnt come close.
With that said, I would drink it again, but i wount go out of my way for it, and 'it' being this years batch. I keep reading that the flavor profile of this beer has been changing from year to year and I look forward to next years batch to see if there are any changes.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

A: I was surprised by the color when this was served to me. Deep amber, not much head but this is how the bar tender poured it, very little lacing.
S: Light and fruity, sweet, citrus, floral.
T: First thought was that this was some type of IPA. Fruity, sweet, citrus, lemon, grapefruit, definitely apricot, a little hoppy, light bitterness. I didn't notice the tartness other reviewers are reporting.
M: Smooth, light.
D: I was surprised by this and rathe enjoyed it. I don't usually like fruity beers, but for some reason I enjoy ones with apricot flavor. Good refreshing beer.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

looks like - something from the medieval times, amber red with rich tan frothy foamy head (almost like a cappuccino)

smells like - sour grapefruit with a tinge of alcohol lingering

tastes like - wow, very progressive, first is the bitter grapefruit taste
expected from the aroma but moves very quickly to a mild sweet nectar taste of apricots. So in the end it balances out to not be too bitter and not too sweet.

feels like - summer at the pool in your mouth

drinks like - if it weren't for the medium carbonation it would drink like sweet tea in the summer, the carbonation fills the stomach easily.

This IPA is very impressive and i am astounded that the bitterness is so apparent but then so immediately diffused. Truly a medium between bitter and sweet for beer drinkers to embark on into the journey of IPA world. Thank you dogfish head.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from Bottle into Pint glass.

Pours a light copper color that has a light orange glow towards the bottom of the glass with a one inch white head. The beer has an obvious apricot aroma with some other citrus flavors and just a hint of caramel malt. Apricots dominate the flavor as well. Its soft upfront and leaves a bitterness in the end. I noticed some lemon zest bitterness in the middle as well. Its a light-medium bodied beer that is a bit slick but definitely easy to drink. I actually found this beer to be pretty enjoyable. Its not overly fruity which I was worried about.

4.17/5  rDev +8.9%

Served: In a bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A: The body was a penny-colored brown. Little to no head formed on the top, lasted only a few seconds. The body is also transparent.

S: Smells like any other IPA, but it has the unique mild fruitiness to it. The name of the beer probably held me to a bias on that one.

T: Apricots and an IPA this beer is indeed. It's almost like the IPA makes the apricots seem like they aren't ripe. It's a weird taste, but somehow enjoyable.

M: It's crisp, moderately carbonated, leaves an apricot aftertaste.

D: It's a decent and unique IPA. I would pass this on to my roommate who is obsessed with them. He wouldn't be disappointed with this. I would only have a couple because I'm sure the 7.00% ABV would catch up to me eventually.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Wow, this is my first review in a long time, even though I have had a ton of beers in between. I was excited to try this beer, an IPA with a twist.
Pour a clear amber/red color with a thin layer of head. Very little-no lacing and disappearing head.
Smell of hops, cant really smell an apricot.
Tastes like a lighter ipa overall with a juicy apricot after taste. Very light apricot, but not too sweet.
Nothing too different in way of mouthfeel, with a light juice feel later on.
Easy to drink, but wouldnt want too too many. Although this is not a sweet beer, the slight apricot taste may wear on me.

3.26/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottled on 2/12/09.

Pours a crystal clear orange hued amber, definitely looks like apricots. A moderate white head is almost fizzy but still holds onto frothy. It falls fairly quickly, no lace.

Aroma is... not really apricots. Sweet caramel, a little honey. There is a vague light orchard fruit presence... but not specific enough to be apricot.

Flavor starts smooth and lightly sweet. Then a solid tartness defines the finish. I may be getting a bit more apricot character here, or I may be reaching. No IPA bitterness at all, but I enjoy the tartness.

The finish is slightly puckering, dry and refreshing.

This isn't an IPA, unless tart is the "new" bitter. I like it as it is... but it ain't an IPA. If I rated completely to style this beer would bomb... but I still think it's interesting and worth a go so I didn't rate any category lower than 3. It would do better as a fruit beer. And then it would do even better if the apricot was more obvious.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

I've heard this years bottling isn't the best. I'll give it a review anyhow and update it next year if I can get my hands on this again.

A: Clear orange-amber. Soft, crisp white head atop that dies down quickly. Just enough carbonation.

S: Sweet fruitiness with a hint of apricot. Faint citrus notes from the hops. You do get a slight toasty aroma from the malts.

T: First I get the fruity sweetness and some apricot flavors. This then goes to an earthy, slightly citrus hoppy flavor and bitterness. The beer finishes slightly tart and sour. There is a component of malty sweetness, maybe caramel, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Not quite enough hops for me.

M: Light bodied. Maybe a little too light. Finishes dry and clean.

D: This was a solid beer. Nothing really jumped out at me, but at the same time it wasn't bad. I really would have liked a bit more hop character and maybe a tad more apricot. Also the beer was a little too light bodied for me. I understand that this year wasn't represenative for this beer. I'll definitely try it again, but I'm waiting until next year.

2.28/5  rDev -40.5%

I was really excited to try this when I saw at my local liq store.
Cracked open the bottle and it poured okay, has a good dark amber color but with almost no head.
The smell made me question my decision to buy this right away. It smells like an adjunct with some soured apricots just lightly coming through.
The taste is pretty much bad. There is weird sourness and a cloying metal taste. There is practically no hop presence at all. Also there is absolutely no lacing and no hops! What kind of an ipa is this supposed to be. A bad excuse for a beer.

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Medium orange-tinged amber has a half inch head that quickly recedes, no lace.

Aroma is a very pleasant hoppy ale smell, citrus and pine hop notes, with a strong dose of apricot. Nice smell. Reading older reviews of this beer I wonder if they have ramped up the apricot over the years...this is a very pleasant IPA but I think the sour apricot is just a touch too much, tipping the balance towards a fruit-gimmick at the expense of the solidly good beer at the base. I like it, but would choose a 60-minute IPA rather than goback to this. Mouthfeel is good, drinkability OK.

3.36/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a really nice copper color with a one finger head that quickly goes away. Surprisingly some lacing but not much. The smell is citrus and fruity, not very hoppy. The taste is sour, citrusy, and fruity. Once again not very hoppy which is strange for an IPA. I'm not huge on the taste but appreciating the style and what they're trying to accomplish it's good, apricot just isn't my thing I guess. I shared this with a few other people and they seemed to like it so I guess it's not for me. Overall it's not bad, I can drink it no problem and it actually goes down pretty smooth. But as an IPA fan I'll be sticking to Dogfish Head's other IPAs.

2.55/5  rDev -33.4%

poured into a pint glass,pours a brownish greenish looking color but settles in the glass brown with a white heading that dispates to thin lacing that sticks around.

Smell is of sweet malts,caramel,slight aroma of citrus,along with apricot.

Taste for me just went wrong it was very sweet and sour I couldn't really match-up what was going on,but it had some apricot but mostly overrun in the beginning with a sourness that just tasted funky,and an aftertaste that was kind of sweet.

Mouthfeel was clean,crisp and bubbly medium bodied.

Drink is not to good for me,a little overdone for my tastes,I almost pulled a drainpour with this one.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

GLASS: Dogfish Head Shaped Pint Glass (Yay!)
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BOTTLED ON 02/03/09

Pours a crysyal clear, medium brown color, with golden orange highlights. Two-finger head of loose, white foam with slight orange tint. Retention is good. Lacing is good, but slightly slick.

The nose is fairly mild, but I do get the apricot scent coming through. Nice citrus hops presence, also. Faint scent of caramel malts.

Good citrus hops taste. Good apricot flavors, both fresh and dried, at the same time. Hints of orange and lemon zest. Good balance between sweet and tart and spicey. Very well-blended.

Light to almost medium bodied. Very smooth with a touch of creaminess. Slight carbonation sharpness. Mild acidity.

What a great beer this would be for a summer afternoon. Light, crisp and refreshing. This is what I would like to be stocked up on for my 'lawnmower beer'.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery