1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

ApriHopApriHop

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

12 oz bottle purchased at the Beer Stop for $1.75. Poured into my shaker glass and appears a clear bright amber color with about a finger of cream colored foam. Very fresh aroma with notes of fruity apricots, faint grassy hops, and bread. Tastes of tart dried apricots, sourdough bread, toasted, sweet malt, mild bitter hops. The hops seem rather subdued for an IPA and the apricot flavor is not at all overpowering. Medium in both body and carbonation. This beer does not drink like it is 7%, so a few of them could sneak up on you.

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into Globe glass.

A. 1 finger head. Left very little lacing on glass. Orange/Amber color.

S. Citrus hops. Apricots.

T. Sweet, tart. Apricots toward the end. No bitterness from the hops. More of a apricot Lambic, then IPA.

M. Dry finish

D. Interesting beer. Not what I was expecting. Bares little resemblance to any kind of IPA. Not the best or worst fruit beer I have had.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

A - This beer poured a golden orange color that produced a fluffy white head taht hod decent retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were a sweet, fruity scent, cannot say for sure, but surely a light fruit, some hoppiness

T - The taste of this beer had some sweet malts, I got a bunch of apricots on the taste, and a good bit of hoppiness that one would expect from an IPA, but it is a little muted from the fruit

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body on it with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - I really liked this beer, very drinkable and refreshing, something different in the world of highly hopped IPAs, which are good, but a different take on the style, for me, is always welcome

2.8/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured into a Snifter

Nice crisp clear bronzr with about a 1 finger head that goes away quickly

Aprocot notes with just the slightest hop note, not alot going on here

Fruit with just barely a bitter hop note right in the middle, like the nose it desn't have alot going on. Honestly its almost like there is a sligh rush of flavor in the front then nothing.

Light to medium body and kind of overcarbonated, very straightforward and I woudl say very far from an IPA

I would love to have had this in previous years cause it seems like it has done very well in them. I noticed the grades are way down this year.

2.75/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

poured into a tulip with a deep entrancing copper color with a one finger head.

smell is... sour fruit. I guess that is apricot but really not much.

Tastes of sour fruits and some light malt. no hops to speak of but just a little bitterness on the tongue.

Mouth is medium and slightly oily. I really don't see myself getting anymore. just a sub-par beer.

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

12oz. Poured a tangerine orange color with a thin off-white head that left a slight lacing on the glass. Aroma was mainly apricot with trace floral hops - I expected more. Taste was odd at first - apricot, alcohol, sour notes, slight malt character, slight hop bitterness. I am still not too sure what to think of this one. Maybe it needed to age a little bit - too fresh? It seemed like something was off and the flavors were lacking. I expected better from Dogfish Head.

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Okay so I am a little taken aback here. I love DFH and I have thoroughly enjoyed every beer I've tried from them. That being said I'm not loving this beer. It has a tart flavor that doesn't lead to taste or drinkability. This beer goes exceptionally well with hot spicy food and lends itself a great intro to an evening of drinking sours; other than that this beer is not on my "good beer" list. Everything below was written well before the foreward...

Poured into a Duvel glass this beer is a dark amber color with a frothy white head. It looks amazing and I'm damn excited to try my first sip - I will be patient!

The smell is of very tart and dried appricots, sweet malt, and the "funny" smell must be all of that mixed with the hops. This has a little brett or other funky smell to it...strange.

The first taste is exceptionally tart. My first thought is that this is an appricot lambic, but it's classified as an IPA. Is there any wild yeast here? If not I think it's about time Sam! This beer would improve from a little wild yeast.

Mouthfeel seems thin but that may be in part to the high carbonation from the fruit. When I homebrew my fruit beers have always been overcarbonated and I think that's what happened here. I think if I let this sit for 10-20 minutes I would like it better. ***Note to future partakers - warm this to cellar temp before consuming and decant for 5-10 minutes to allow the excess carbonation to vent off.

Overally drinkability is unhindered by everything. Is this my favorite fruit beer? Hell no but it's not bad. I would drink another if it were offered which is more than I can say for any Sam Adam's fruit beer.

Final Note: Let me finish by saying that I really want to love this beer. I truly respect Sam and his crew and I will continue to buy up their great beers but I can't say I truly love this one. I know some people will love this beer, but I'll stick to 90 minute, 120 minute, and Black and Blue!

2.53/5  rDev -33.9%

I got the last third of the bottle that the Mrs had opened in my absence. I told her that I'd have to drive to Wisconsin to get more. I don't think she knows what these cost either.

Looks a beautiful dark amber tone that has a light lace. No foam as my wife had been drinking this out of the bottle and put it back on the fridge door.

Sweet smelling and fruity. Apricots.

Oh dear. A sour lambic like issue. Flat syrup tasting sour. Not at all IPA like the label told me. Off tasting bottle that makes me think this one's had some MAJOR storage issues.

I need another one that's fresher to fairly evaluate this one.

4.18/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours a nice bronze color. Somewhat thin head surprisingly leaves some nice lacing. Smells slightly of apricots, with a sweet malty aroma that is sort of unusual but nice. I thought it tasted delicious. Had a hint of apricots in every sip but never overdid it. The balance of the hops found in just about every Dogfish Head beer worked very well with the apricots. Has a bit more carbonation than I would prefer, but not so much that it put me off. I had one of these and would probably drink one or two more before I would rather move on to something else. If you're having just one, this is one I'll choose fairly often.

2.88/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

on tap poured into pint glass

a: clear redish color, slight head that reuces to lacing rings

s: strong fruitiness, followed by citrusy hops

t: carmelized fruit/apricot. hops are clean and balance well. Finishes slightly tart

m&d: this is were the beer loses me, I find it to be a bit syrupy/medicinal. Ok drinkablility, but not my cup of tea.

Cheers!!!

1.75/5  rDev -54.3%

bottled 2/3/08

poured a clear golden copper with a 1 finger white head which left minimal lacing

smell is tart(apricots) and bready malts no hops i can detect and i swear i can smell bottled water if thats possible

taste is tart apricots and a little malt - this is an IPA???? need to change this one of course i was expecting 60min with apricots. this beer is too tart. this beer would be much improved with some more malts and hops. this is water with unripe apricots. Complete Rubbish

mouthfeel was medium and overcarbonated imo. it was like drinking apricot soda.

not drinkable imo - but i bought a four pack and the 1st to the last now it has not changed - glad i tried it but never again

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a deep clear copper color with an off white head that lingers pretty well leaving nice lacing.

Nose has very minimal apricot, but it is there (barely). Not a terrible amount of hoppiness in the nose either, but there is some rock candy like malt sweetness, tiny touch of apricot, a bit of fructose.

Wow. Taste is suprising sublime. A nice but not overwhelming apricot presence. Sort of accentuated by the dryness of this beer. The IPA part of the equation works well with this providing slight bitterness and some citrus flavor to match the softness of apricot. A very well blended flavor profile. The malt profile and slight sweetness works with the apricot as well. Defenitely an interesting beer. A crisp dry finish is essential here with the fruitlike profile, and this one delivers that.

Mouthfeel is pretty much right where it should be here. Carbonation is fine. Love the dryness here, really makes the beer.

Drinkability is alot more solid than i expected for an "apricot brew". I was expecting it to be a bit more cloying and was pleasantly suprised.

Overall, I like it for what it is. Will i buy a half rack tomorrow? no. Would i drink six of them if asked to? yes. Not my favorite beer ever, but ive got to respect how well they've balanced the IPA and fruit profiles of this beer. Not an easy task and it is pretty well done with this one. If "melding" were a category, this one would get a 4.5 in said category. Give it a shot, a unique and interesing beer.

2.73/5  rDev -28.7%

A: Pours a light amber with a fizzy white head that leaves decent lacing.

S: I didn't really get too much hop aroma with this one. Some apricot, but mostly a musty malt aroma. I wasn't really impressed at all.

T: Malty & fruity sweetness with an aftertaste that just didn't do it for me. Metallic aftertaste.

M: Average mouthfeel.

D: The 7% alcohol is hidden very well, but I just didn't like the taste. I'm happy that I only bought a single 12 oz. because I doubt I will ever buy this again.

2.85/5  rDev -25.6%

Got the day off due too supposed bad weather, smokin the pineapple, chillin with my lady, a good day....

call me crazy, but I've never had an apricot. So I'm trusting my girl's taste notes on this one....

this brew pours up a clear copper color with a decent off white head. the nose is slight sour light fruits (im guessing apricots), subtle hop bitterness. the taste is apricots (im guessing), they are very strong in this brew, lots of hop bittering but is totally cut with the sourness of this brew. Reminds me of an American Flemish Red...minus the red. medium bodied, medium carbo, a weird bugger

EDIT: Is this brew supposed to be sour???

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%

A- golden/red, white, sudsy head that sticks to the sides of the glass.

S- dark fruity sweetness and citrusy hop aroma.

T- mild sweetness followed by a bitterness from apricots mixed right in with the bitterness and citrus of the hops.

M- A bit flat upfront with a very bubbly carbonation coming in later. Medium body.

D- An interesting brew that goes down easy and really refreshing.

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%

A deep sunset orange-reddish color with a slightly frothy white head. A nice deep color--looks like more than just an IPA. No cling or lacing, just a thin white foam layer on the surface.

Creamy, malty aroma with hints of peaches and apricots. A smell that strikingly reminds me of peaches and cream instant oatmeal.

Hop in the up front, then it disappears to a watered down fruit taste, some staleness in the finish. The apricot does not come through as fruit, more like a spice or herb. It's not sweet, it is just there. The taste is very mild, expecting more hops and a different fruit flavor. Similar apricot flavor to a Magic Hat #9, just more of it. Apricot must dull the taste of beer. The alcohol is in there--it tastes more like a 5% ABV rather than a 7%. It sneaks up on you, like a ninja! This is one of those ninja beer. Clean finish.

Average to medium body, on the creamy side. Very drinkable, just an odd flavor. I would wish for more hops if it's an IPA, as it says it is. I don't think I'd want more, however, it might be good ice cold on a hot day.

Overall very unimpressed. It may be just that it's old-bottled 2/27/08, a year ago. I'll have to give a fresh one a go.

3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

A - pours a orangish copper color with just a bit of foam that quickly disappeared

S - aroma of slight hops, slight apricots and sweet malt. Nothing too overpowering either way, just a blend.

T - slight apricot flavor, more like dried apricots along with the hop presence. I remember this one being better, but maybe i'm not remembering correctly. I don't think its bad, I guess I just remember something more fruity, there is almost a metallic smell and taste

M/D - decent carbonation and mouthfeel, it goes down pretty smoothly and quickly, but the taste is leaving me not wanting another for awhile.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

A- Clear red copper color. Not the greatest head retention.

S- Fruity, sweet carmel with a hint of apricots, mixed in with a pleasant hop aroma. Malty undertones are also present. overall there is nice balance.

T- Carmel fruitiness mixed with a nice hoppiness. The hops are grassy. Aprihop has a mild acidity to it. At the end there is a nice tartness at the end. The beer ends up with a clean, dry finish.

M- Medium body that has lively carbonation that cleans the tongue.

D- I only bought a single bottle, however I could see myself drinking many of these beers. Its not too strong and has good taste.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

12oz bottle poured into a shaped DFH pint glass.

DFH Aprihop poured an orangey copper with a fleeting one-finger head. As it disappeared from the glass, it left a moderate amount of lace behind. The smell was subtle fruity/hoppy--pleasant, but not remarkable.

The taste was like dried fruit. I'd like to say it tasted like dried apricot; however, if I didn't know it was apricot, I might not have called it. Aprihop has the taste and feel of a good IPA with a hint of fruit that compliments, but doesn't over-power the flavor. It improved as it warmed, and the last sip, at room temperature, was very nice. The feel suffers from a bit too much carbonation; however, the bitterness perfectly balances the fruitiness, making my tongue very happy.

DFH is a wonderful brewery, because although they sometimes swing and miss, they are constantly taking creative chances. Aprihop is the one-and-only fruit beer I've enjoyed, and that's because at its heart, it's an IPA. I drank this beer at one of my favorite places and it ensured that there was nowhere else I would rather have been.

2.95/5  rDev -23%

The aroma on this one is a slight stank from the hops and the fruityness of apricots. The flavor is not very bitter, but bitter enough to be an IPA. The mouthfeel is nice and creamy. The finish is clean. Very carbonated, very foamy. But not horrible.

2.38/5  rDev -37.9%

Copper colored with a foamy white head. Decent retention and a few lace worms that hang around for awhile.

Smells of sour apricot with faint hop stank.

Tastes of sour apricot that becomes progressively sweeter. Wheres the hops?

Tastes like a Magic Hat #9 gone awry.

2.3/5  rDev -39.9%

I feel like these orchard fruit type flavors show up in the flavor of many dogfish beers, so this should be a natural fit, right?

orangish red clear colored liquid, good head initially, but leaves quick with a slight lacing.

very yeasty, watery smell. little substance, it seems. no real hop aspect to speak of.

wow. way too much fruit here. they weren't lying at all. the apricot just takes over the flavor, with only the slightest hop presence on the back end.

decent enough feel, a bit watery and unsubstantial.

uh, I understand the pitch here. they have succeeded in making a fruit beer. fruit first. but, as a beer, as an ipa as they say on the bottle, it fails. very little actual hop, malt, complexity etc. and that's okay if you are looking for a wine cooler. but I was looking for a beer.

This Dogfish beer in my Dogfish glass looks oh-so-good (particularly on this hot spring day). It's like the perfect translucent brown--not amber like a red or yellow like your traditional macro-brew, but dark enough to offer substance yet light enough to appear refreshing on a day like today. The full inch of head settles to a thin layer of foam that covers the top.

The smell is confusing. I don't know if it's the apricots or what, but the beer doesn't smell too good. Believe it or not, it reminds me of a warm, half-full Miller Lite. I've got to hold the glass up and look at it to convince myself that's not what it is. The bottom line is that I don't like the smell.

Well, the taste is better than the smell, but not as good as the look. It's kinda weird--the sweet apricots occasionally make me squint my eyes and pucker my mouth like I just bit into a lemon. I think of lemons, take another sip, and the beer's reminiscent of sweet tea. It's like the beer equivalent of sweet tea vodka. As I try to embrace the hop taste...I don't really taste any. I guess it's what makes this drink taste like a beer, but it's certainly not like most IPAs I've had. In my experience, adding fruit to an IPA (or even DIPA) really disguises the hops. This is no different.

Mouthfeel is average. It's not real hoppy so I miss the enamel-pulling characteristic of hop monsters, and the apricots offer a weird (but unique) sweetness. Oddly, though, the mouthfeel is thin and lacking significant substance. That seems unusual for a DFH production.

Drinkability is okay. The beer is fairly refreshing, but it yearns for identity--is it an IPA or a fruit beer? I've read about the recent recipe change (and talk of going back to the original), so this is literally a beverage without a definite identity. This one's fresh--bottled in 2/09--but I'd agree that this recipe needs some tweaking.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured a clear copper/amber color. Head was about a finger and a half, but quickly became just a thin covering over the brew. I got a scent of dried apricots covering citrusy hops. This was accompanied by a hint of sweet malts. The smells seemed pretty restrained. Apricot and hops are the first tastes, but I found them to be a little weaker than I was hoping for. I really dug the sour apricot taste that finished each drink. I've heard some people complain about this, but I actually found it to be a highlight. I can't comment on this season being different from that, as this is the first time I've had this beer. Overall, I thought found this to be a pretty solid beer.

3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of creamy head. I took a big whiff and got the floral aroma of hops with a hint of the apricot. The apricot taste is sneaky. I didn't get it at first but it slowly worked its way onto my tastebuds. It is subtle. It tastes a bit sour. Overall, not bad but I do not see myself sitting around drinking it all day. It's worth a try.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery