ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

ApriHopApriHop

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
2.38/5  rDev -37.9%

Copper colored with a foamy white head. Decent retention and a few lace worms that hang around for awhile.

Smells of sour apricot with faint hop stank.

Tastes of sour apricot that becomes progressively sweeter. Wheres the hops?

Tastes like a Magic Hat #9 gone awry.

donkeyrunner, Apr 25, 2009
2.3/5  rDev -39.9%

I feel like these orchard fruit type flavors show up in the flavor of many dogfish beers, so this should be a natural fit, right?

orangish red clear colored liquid, good head initially, but leaves quick with a slight lacing.

very yeasty, watery smell. little substance, it seems. no real hop aspect to speak of.

wow. way too much fruit here. they weren't lying at all. the apricot just takes over the flavor, with only the slightest hop presence on the back end.

decent enough feel, a bit watery and unsubstantial.

uh, I understand the pitch here. they have succeeded in making a fruit beer. fruit first. but, as a beer, as an ipa as they say on the bottle, it fails. very little actual hop, malt, complexity etc. and that's okay if you are looking for a wine cooler. but I was looking for a beer.

cnally, Apr 25, 2009

This Dogfish beer in my Dogfish glass looks oh-so-good (particularly on this hot spring day). It's like the perfect translucent brown--not amber like a red or yellow like your traditional macro-brew, but dark enough to offer substance yet light enough to appear refreshing on a day like today. The full inch of head settles to a thin layer of foam that covers the top.

The smell is confusing. I don't know if it's the apricots or what, but the beer doesn't smell too good. Believe it or not, it reminds me of a warm, half-full Miller Lite. I've got to hold the glass up and look at it to convince myself that's not what it is. The bottom line is that I don't like the smell.

Well, the taste is better than the smell, but not as good as the look. It's kinda weird--the sweet apricots occasionally make me squint my eyes and pucker my mouth like I just bit into a lemon. I think of lemons, take another sip, and the beer's reminiscent of sweet tea. It's like the beer equivalent of sweet tea vodka. As I try to embrace the hop taste...I don't really taste any. I guess it's what makes this drink taste like a beer, but it's certainly not like most IPAs I've had. In my experience, adding fruit to an IPA (or even DIPA) really disguises the hops. This is no different.

Mouthfeel is average. It's not real hoppy so I miss the enamel-pulling characteristic of hop monsters, and the apricots offer a weird (but unique) sweetness. Oddly, though, the mouthfeel is thin and lacking significant substance. That seems unusual for a DFH production.

Drinkability is okay. The beer is fairly refreshing, but it yearns for identity--is it an IPA or a fruit beer? I've read about the recent recipe change (and talk of going back to the original), so this is literally a beverage without a definite identity. This one's fresh--bottled in 2/09--but I'd agree that this recipe needs some tweaking.

marvin213, Apr 25, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured a clear copper/amber color. Head was about a finger and a half, but quickly became just a thin covering over the brew. I got a scent of dried apricots covering citrusy hops. This was accompanied by a hint of sweet malts. The smells seemed pretty restrained. Apricot and hops are the first tastes, but I found them to be a little weaker than I was hoping for. I really dug the sour apricot taste that finished each drink. I've heard some people complain about this, but I actually found it to be a highlight. I can't comment on this season being different from that, as this is the first time I've had this beer. Overall, I thought found this to be a pretty solid beer.

alkemy, Apr 24, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of creamy head. I took a big whiff and got the floral aroma of hops with a hint of the apricot. The apricot taste is sneaky. I didn't get it at first but it slowly worked its way onto my tastebuds. It is subtle. It tastes a bit sour. Overall, not bad but I do not see myself sitting around drinking it all day. It's worth a try.

buschbeer, Apr 23, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Disclaimer: I have never had an apricot.

Poured bright red into a stein, the only glassware available during the kitchen renovation. Initially has a thick eggshell-colored head, but slowly dissipates to a thin cap, with wispy lacing throughout the drink. Aroma is... well I am not quite sure what apricot smells like, but if I had to guess this would be it. Fruit, some spiciness, and of course some citrusy hop aroma. Mouthfeel is standard, medium-light body with some refreshing carbonation. Taste took me aback, and initially I did not know what to think - not unlike my first tasting of Festina Peche. Sour, orangey, with what I perceive to be an unrecognizable fruit flavor which I will take as apricot. Whatever it is, I like it. I find it quite sour in the middle. Finish dry with a tinge of hop bitterness and lingering sourness. Drinkability is very high, as the 7% ABV is completely covered up by the sweet and sour flavor. Overall, this is a great brew, although unusual. I knew what I was getting in to.

ljbrisson, Apr 21, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

I could put these back all day. And did.

My friends and I had a BBQ recently and I put a four pack of these in my fridge. I opened one up and was immediately hit with the apricot smell. I was not sure what i was in for, but upon taking the first sip, I decided that this beer was great.

Apricot is a funny beer additive in the sense that there isn't much middle ground. Pyramid's apricot is weak, Magic Hat #9 is poorly balanced, but the Aprihop strikes it perfect. The taste is subdued by the alcohol content and the booze is masked by the apricot. You never realize you are drinking something pretty strong.

Until you're 3 in the hole of course.

gregmoscetti, Apr 21, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

A- Pours a dark ruby color with a nice off white head. Head has nice retention and leaves little lacing.

S- Smells of grain along with sweet malts and some apricots are there, but there's a definite lack of hops in the aroma for a beer called an IPA.

T- There really isn't much hop bitterness at all. Mild flavors of apricot and bready malts hang around towards the finish. The apricot flavor comes back again at the last second.

M- Medium in body and nice carbonation.

D- I think I could easily drink a few of these. The first thing I thought of after my first sip was Magic Hat #9 only bigger.

nrbw23, Apr 21, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Dark ruby red. Pencil thin head. No lace. Smells like beer. No apricots shine thru. Taste is really smooth. Too smooth. Neither hops or apricots are detectable. This is just a really drinkable ale that dosen't shine in any way except that the 7% seems more akin to a 3%.

Overall: A good beer for the girlfriend. I liked it but 10 bucks a four-pack is a rip-off.

ironlung, Apr 21, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

Beer pours a light caramel color with some orange highlights. Nice 1 finger head that dissipates quickly, minimal lacing in glass. Sweet apricot and hops dominate the smell. Taste is of citrus hops up front that follow with a bite of apricots, some sweet malt is present with help with the balance of the beer. Mouth feel is good, not too much carbonation.

Fruit beers are generally not my thing and this beer is no exception. However, this is still a well made beer.

rugerj, Apr 20, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

An IPA mashed up with a fruit (apricot) beer? It's a really inspired blend, something that immediately became a classic of both styles for me, and which I'm rating highly in large part just because it is so unique--I can't think of anything else quite like it.

The nose is full of apricots and spicy citrus hops, and the taste is even more of both, in a very very good way--moving from a little toasted malt through the apricot juice and finishing with the spicy hops. It's got a nice carbonation and tastes clean and crisp, and I thought it was highly drinkable--would absolutely buy again.

lstokes, Apr 19, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Reddish orange with a mousse like head of cream colored foam that leaves fine lace on the glass. Smells of apricot and steely hops and faintly of roasted malt. Much bigger flavors than the nose suggests, Bitter fruity hops with malt struggling to get through to balance. Definately apricot heavy. Medium slippery mouthfeel with crisp carbonation that adds to the drinkability.

biggred1, Apr 19, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle into a nonic. "BOTTLED ON 03/04/09"

A- Clear and copper. Pours with 3 fingers of light tan head, which fades slowly to a solid cap; excellent retention. Ample lacing.

S- Spicy apricot and citrus hoppiness. After the initial burst, the spicy essence becomes more prominent.

T- Wow, the apricot is really shining through big here. Sweet-and-sour fruitiness. Bitterness is moderately low.

M- Well carbonated and crisp.

D- Decent. Easy enough drink, and alcohol is blended well. Probably too fruity for me to want more than one at a time.

Future outlook: Interesting drink. I like apricots, and this captured their essence in beer form fairly well. I would think that if you don't care for apricots, don't bother. Not any sort of a craver or go-to seasonal, but I can see getting another single of this at some point, or looking to find some food pairings.

DoctorDog, Apr 17, 2009
3.18/5  rDev -17%

stop number two on my night. pours a muddled orange into my snifter with a one finger flash of white head off a very aggressive center pour. the head fades quickly and leaves a few random spots of lacing.

smell is not my favorite. pretty dominate apricot aroma. kinda smells like grandma. some hops but they are pretty well masked by the apricots.

taste is pretty much like the smell. it leaves me with a slight malt sweetness that i think is a partly because of the apricots.

not really huge on this. a very noble attempt with this but i dont think that my palate is ready for this. but definitely worth a try.

Mauerhan, Apr 16, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured In: Tulip Glass
Bought From: The Coffee Grounds (Eau Claire, WI)

Appearance: Amber. No lacing along the glass.

Smell: Light hop aroma.

Taste: One of the sweeter IPA's that I've had, which can be attributed to the apricots. Well carbonated, and perhaps a little too sweet. Everytime I take a sip I keep wondering where this dark malt flavor is coming from. The color of the beer isn't darker than your average IPA, but I keep tasting a dark malt.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. As said before, well carbonated so it goes down easy.

Drinkability: It's a beer worth trying, but I don't think I'd pick it up again unless I went to one of their ale houses on the east coast.

Ek0nomik, Apr 16, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Clear amber coloring. Very little head. Absolutely no lacing.

S: Hoppy, slightly spicy citrus smell. Subtle apricot as well. Not very overwhelming.

T: There is definitely the flavor of apricots. This is sweet at first until matched by a dry, hoppy bitterness. Leaves a subtle, dry aftertaste with bitter, woody notes.

M: Very light for an IPA. Overly carbonated.

D: For housing a 7%ABV this beer is extremely drinkable. The apricot might get old after a few, but otherwise this could definitely qualify as a session beer.

I have to say, compared to other Dogfishhead beers I was very underwhelmed. I was expecting more from this beer, especially in terms of body. Worth trying, but I won't be buying another for some time.

bluetravlr, Apr 16, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

First time with the fruit/IPA. Pours clear orange with a big foamy white head. Moderate lacing. Fresh apricots mixed with slightly piney hops and light caramel in the nose. Light, medium-carbonated mouthfeel. Fresh citrus and mild pine hops up front complimented nicely with the apricots which burst through in the middle. The malt is much lighter than expected, and lets the apricot taste come through without making it too sweet or sticky. Earthy, fruity finish that's not too long. Very refreshing.

magictrokini, Apr 16, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into a Dogfish Head shaped glass

A - nice copper hue, almost an apple cider just lighter, had some decent head build that was mounded in certain places, left a decent amount of lace

S - the apricot and citrus hops smell blend well together, i think the apricot hits first and meddles with the citrusy smell from the hops

T - tart apricot tastes leads off and is followed by the bitter/citrus of the hops, slight malt background

M - good carbonation, finish is very clean after the bombardment of flavor, lingering apricot taste felt on the sides of the tongue

D - alcohol is masked completely, as a beer with fruit additions it certainly stands out in having a good 2 or 3 abv more than the average fruit beer, however it is also multidimensional in its taste and therefore could be enjoyed one after another

wchesak, Apr 16, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

Dogfish hop's Aprihop, in bottle. A clear dark amber brew with a wispy head that managed to leave respectable lacing. Lots of fruit in the nose, apricots that is, along with some hops and caramel. Medium on the palate and bursting with apricot flavor. Toasted malt is discernible upfront. It is followed by a big juicy apricot flavor in the center. The hops see this thing out with a little spice. Not a bad brew....if you like apricots.

BeardedBoffin, Apr 15, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

A- Apricot colored? Light-copper color and very clear. The head is surprisingly impressive for a fruit beer. OK lacing and decent retention.

S- Caramel, apricots, bread, and a fruity blend of hops.

T- Very complex for a beer with fruit in it, but this is Dogfish Head. Starts off fruity/caramel sweet and cereal-like with tastes of fresh, warm apricot bread. Progresses into a floral, bitter, somewhat dry, almost tart feeling. Could be perfect with more of that second stage of bitter tartness.

M- Dry, slightly juicy and lightly carbonated

D- Very drinkable by itself or with a wide selection of food, like most pale ale

EnojysAnyBeer, Apr 14, 2009
3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

A - Pours a dark copper with a small head. The head hung around half the drink and had minimal lacing.

S - Apricots, Honey, nutmeg and...Hops! Believe it or not, the Apricots is the weakest smell here. Very bready malt too.

T - A little bit of sour fruit on the front, minimum hop bitterness though. Big apricot taste on the finish. Not what you would expect from an IPA.

M - Medium bodied with a good carbonation level.

D - So so, I guess if I had other bad things to choose from I'd go for this, but would rather have a 90minute.

surfer4life, Apr 14, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

12oz bottle poured into a shaker pint.

A - Warm copper hue with a short, creamy head that disappears quickly.

S - Bread, caramel, a subtle apricot aroma, and citrusy hops.

T - Malts produce a toffee and caramel backdrop for a sweet and tangy apricot flavors. Fruit and grain mesh pretty well with the citrusy hop flavors. Bitterness is moderate, but checks the sweetness of the apricots.

M - Medium body, smooth and creamy.

D - A tart and refreshing take on the American IPA. I wouldn't consider it a go-to beer, but it's very nice for a warm spring day.

trbergman, Apr 13, 2009
2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

drank @ Hopleaf

served in a "modified pint glass"

A: Light brown with a yellowish tint. Two fingers of very creamy head.

S: Apricots are the first thing you smell. Not overwhelming, but certainly make their presence known. Then lemons, alcohol, and sour wild yeasts.

T: Tart lemons with faint apricots. Virtually no malts, sweetness, or hop character. Reminds me of a sugarless radler, if there were such a thing to exist.

D: I don't get this beer. I just don't see it being considered a APA as it is noticeably devoid of hops, but, there is little in the way of malts either. Really just a lot of lemon essence and sour twanginess. If I wasn't in a bar and hadn't just paid $6 for it, I most likely would have been pouring this one down the drain. I wonder if this batch was bad, or the keg near empty or something, anything to explain this beer.

Florida9, Apr 13, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a New Belgium globe glass.

A: Pours a medium-amber color with a white head.

S: Mostly fresh fruit in the nose, a bit of sweet malt as well.

T: Decent balance between the malt and the fruit, but in the end the apricots win. Slightly sweet cake male base, similar to that of 90 minute IPA. The apricots add an interesting flavor to the beer. It's a little bit sweet and quite tart as well. Citrusy and woody hops in the finish.

M: Active carbonation, medium bodied.

D: A tasty and easy to drink brew. I would probably classify this one in the fruit beer category rather than IPA but we all know that DFH beers are impossible to place in a category.

willjschmidt, Apr 12, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

The beer is an apricotish orangish gold color, if you can picture that. The head is about one finger high and white with decent retention and a little lacing.

The aroma is of citrus hops with some subtle apricot. The malt is sweet and caramely. I don't
get a lot of hops or apricot here. No alcohol is detectable. The apricots are a bit more noticeable in the flavor, but they're rather dull. The caramel malt imparts some sweetness that add to that of the fruit, and the level of bitteress is low-medium.

Light bodied with good carbonation and a dry mouthfeel.

This beer isn't all that hoppy or apricoty.

HopHead84, Apr 12, 2009