ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
4.17/5  rDev +8.9%

Served: In a bottle, poured into a pint glass.

A: The body was a penny-colored brown. Little to no head formed on the top, lasted only a few seconds. The body is also transparent.

S: Smells like any other IPA, but it has the unique mild fruitiness to it. The name of the beer probably held me to a bias on that one.

T: Apricots and an IPA this beer is indeed. It's almost like the IPA makes the apricots seem like they aren't ripe. It's a weird taste, but somehow enjoyable.

M: It's crisp, moderately carbonated, leaves an apricot aftertaste.

D: It's a decent and unique IPA. I would pass this on to my roommate who is obsessed with them. He wouldn't be disappointed with this. I would only have a couple because I'm sure the 7.00% ABV would catch up to me eventually.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

Wow, this is my first review in a long time, even though I have had a ton of beers in between. I was excited to try this beer, an IPA with a twist.
Pour a clear amber/red color with a thin layer of head. Very little-no lacing and disappearing head.
Smell of hops, cant really smell an apricot.
Tastes like a lighter ipa overall with a juicy apricot after taste. Very light apricot, but not too sweet.
Nothing too different in way of mouthfeel, with a light juice feel later on.
Easy to drink, but wouldnt want too too many. Although this is not a sweet beer, the slight apricot taste may wear on me.

3.26/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottled on 2/12/09.

Pours a crystal clear orange hued amber, definitely looks like apricots. A moderate white head is almost fizzy but still holds onto frothy. It falls fairly quickly, no lace.

Aroma is... not really apricots. Sweet caramel, a little honey. There is a vague light orchard fruit presence... but not specific enough to be apricot.

Flavor starts smooth and lightly sweet. Then a solid tartness defines the finish. I may be getting a bit more apricot character here, or I may be reaching. No IPA bitterness at all, but I enjoy the tartness.

The finish is slightly puckering, dry and refreshing.

This isn't an IPA, unless tart is the "new" bitter. I like it as it is... but it ain't an IPA. If I rated completely to style this beer would bomb... but I still think it's interesting and worth a go so I didn't rate any category lower than 3. It would do better as a fruit beer. And then it would do even better if the apricot was more obvious.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

I've heard this years bottling isn't the best. I'll give it a review anyhow and update it next year if I can get my hands on this again.

A: Clear orange-amber. Soft, crisp white head atop that dies down quickly. Just enough carbonation.

S: Sweet fruitiness with a hint of apricot. Faint citrus notes from the hops. You do get a slight toasty aroma from the malts.

T: First I get the fruity sweetness and some apricot flavors. This then goes to an earthy, slightly citrus hoppy flavor and bitterness. The beer finishes slightly tart and sour. There is a component of malty sweetness, maybe caramel, but I can't quite put my finger on it. Not quite enough hops for me.

M: Light bodied. Maybe a little too light. Finishes dry and clean.

D: This was a solid beer. Nothing really jumped out at me, but at the same time it wasn't bad. I really would have liked a bit more hop character and maybe a tad more apricot. Also the beer was a little too light bodied for me. I understand that this year wasn't represenative for this beer. I'll definitely try it again, but I'm waiting until next year.

2.28/5  rDev -40.5%

I was really excited to try this when I saw at my local liq store.
Cracked open the bottle and it poured okay, has a good dark amber color but with almost no head.
The smell made me question my decision to buy this right away. It smells like an adjunct with some soured apricots just lightly coming through.
The taste is pretty much bad. There is weird sourness and a cloying metal taste. There is practically no hop presence at all. Also there is absolutely no lacing and no hops! What kind of an ipa is this supposed to be. A bad excuse for a beer.

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Medium orange-tinged amber has a half inch head that quickly recedes, no lace.

Aroma is a very pleasant hoppy ale smell, citrus and pine hop notes, with a strong dose of apricot. Nice smell. Reading older reviews of this beer I wonder if they have ramped up the apricot over the years...this is a very pleasant IPA but I think the sour apricot is just a touch too much, tipping the balance towards a fruit-gimmick at the expense of the solidly good beer at the base. I like it, but would choose a 60-minute IPA rather than goback to this. Mouthfeel is good, drinkability OK.

3.36/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a really nice copper color with a one finger head that quickly goes away. Surprisingly some lacing but not much. The smell is citrus and fruity, not very hoppy. The taste is sour, citrusy, and fruity. Once again not very hoppy which is strange for an IPA. I'm not huge on the taste but appreciating the style and what they're trying to accomplish it's good, apricot just isn't my thing I guess. I shared this with a few other people and they seemed to like it so I guess it's not for me. Overall it's not bad, I can drink it no problem and it actually goes down pretty smooth. But as an IPA fan I'll be sticking to Dogfish Head's other IPAs.

2.55/5  rDev -33.4%

poured into a pint glass,pours a brownish greenish looking color but settles in the glass brown with a white heading that dispates to thin lacing that sticks around.

Smell is of sweet malts,caramel,slight aroma of citrus,along with apricot.

Taste for me just went wrong it was very sweet and sour I couldn't really match-up what was going on,but it had some apricot but mostly overrun in the beginning with a sourness that just tasted funky,and an aftertaste that was kind of sweet.

Mouthfeel was clean,crisp and bubbly medium bodied.

Drink is not to good for me,a little overdone for my tastes,I almost pulled a drainpour with this one.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

GLASS: Dogfish Head Shaped Pint Glass (Yay!)
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BOTTLED ON 02/03/09

Pours a crysyal clear, medium brown color, with golden orange highlights. Two-finger head of loose, white foam with slight orange tint. Retention is good. Lacing is good, but slightly slick.

The nose is fairly mild, but I do get the apricot scent coming through. Nice citrus hops presence, also. Faint scent of caramel malts.

Good citrus hops taste. Good apricot flavors, both fresh and dried, at the same time. Hints of orange and lemon zest. Good balance between sweet and tart and spicey. Very well-blended.

Light to almost medium bodied. Very smooth with a touch of creaminess. Slight carbonation sharpness. Mild acidity.

What a great beer this would be for a summer afternoon. Light, crisp and refreshing. This is what I would like to be stocked up on for my 'lawnmower beer'.

2.97/5  rDev -22.5%

A: looks like yuengling lager. toffee, not bad head that dissipates quickly. no lace.

S: apricot.. maybe a little grass.. hint of caramel malt

T: apricot overpowers for my taste. don't get much hop at all. just a touch sweet at the beginning, but mostly don't have much malt body nor hop to balance the apricot

M: pretty thin overall,

D: strong apricot takes away from drinkability.

2.47/5  rDev -35.5%

This beer was definately a letdown for me. I dont think I've ever graded down a Dogfish Head brew for being wholly uninteresting and pretty bad, so this is a first. Also, apricot has a nice tang, but the tanginess should really be balanced out with, say, some brown sugar or rich honey.

Appearance is an intriguing orangish hue, almost like a Caribbean sunset orange. Head doesnt hold well.

Smells sweet and sour, with a tart, candied apricot, grilled lemon, and sourdough bread smell.

Tastes a lot more tart and sour than it smells. Otherwise thin and boring. The focus on apricot infusion clearly fueled the lack of focus on the substance and complexity one would expect of Dogfish Head.

Tart again, but hides the 7% ABV pretty well for such a thin beer. Finish is weak and racing to be crisp.

4.07/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into pint glass
Big, two-inch head and amber color
Aroma- Fruity,herbal and grassy
Taste-Noticeable but subdued apricot and hops-very clean finish and very drinkable
Overall, a nice, subtle balance of fruit and hops, nothing overpowering just very drinkable.
Excellent on a hot summer day!

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz bottle purchased at the Beer Stop for $1.75. Poured into my shaker glass and appears a clear bright amber color with about a finger of cream colored foam. Very fresh aroma with notes of fruity apricots, faint grassy hops, and bread. Tastes of tart dried apricots, sourdough bread, toasted, sweet malt, mild bitter hops. The hops seem rather subdued for an IPA and the apricot flavor is not at all overpowering. Medium in both body and carbonation. This beer does not drink like it is 7%, so a few of them could sneak up on you.

3.62/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle into Globe glass.

A. 1 finger head. Left very little lacing on glass. Orange/Amber color.

S. Citrus hops. Apricots.

T. Sweet, tart. Apricots toward the end. No bitterness from the hops. More of a apricot Lambic, then IPA.

M. Dry finish

D. Interesting beer. Not what I was expecting. Bares little resemblance to any kind of IPA. Not the best or worst fruit beer I have had.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

A - This beer poured a golden orange color that produced a fluffy white head taht hod decent retention and laced the side of the glass nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer were a sweet, fruity scent, cannot say for sure, but surely a light fruit, some hoppiness

T - The taste of this beer had some sweet malts, I got a bunch of apricots on the taste, and a good bit of hoppiness that one would expect from an IPA, but it is a little muted from the fruit

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body on it with a moderate amount of carbonation

D - I really liked this beer, very drinkable and refreshing, something different in the world of highly hopped IPAs, which are good, but a different take on the style, for me, is always welcome

2.79/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into a Snifter

Nice crisp clear bronzr with about a 1 finger head that goes away quickly

Aprocot notes with just the slightest hop note, not alot going on here

Fruit with just barely a bitter hop note right in the middle, like the nose it desn't have alot going on. Honestly its almost like there is a sligh rush of flavor in the front then nothing.

Light to medium body and kind of overcarbonated, very straightforward and I woudl say very far from an IPA

I would love to have had this in previous years cause it seems like it has done very well in them. I noticed the grades are way down this year.

2.77/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

poured into a tulip with a deep entrancing copper color with a one finger head.

smell is... sour fruit. I guess that is apricot but really not much.

Tastes of sour fruits and some light malt. no hops to speak of but just a little bitterness on the tongue.

Mouth is medium and slightly oily. I really don't see myself getting anymore. just a sub-par beer.

3.08/5  rDev -19.6%

12oz. Poured a tangerine orange color with a thin off-white head that left a slight lacing on the glass. Aroma was mainly apricot with trace floral hops - I expected more. Taste was odd at first - apricot, alcohol, sour notes, slight malt character, slight hop bitterness. I am still not too sure what to think of this one. Maybe it needed to age a little bit - too fresh? It seemed like something was off and the flavors were lacking. I expected better from Dogfish Head.

2.87/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Okay so I am a little taken aback here. I love DFH and I have thoroughly enjoyed every beer I've tried from them. That being said I'm not loving this beer. It has a tart flavor that doesn't lead to taste or drinkability. This beer goes exceptionally well with hot spicy food and lends itself a great intro to an evening of drinking sours; other than that this beer is not on my "good beer" list. Everything below was written well before the foreward...

Poured into a Duvel glass this beer is a dark amber color with a frothy white head. It looks amazing and I'm damn excited to try my first sip - I will be patient!

The smell is of very tart and dried appricots, sweet malt, and the "funny" smell must be all of that mixed with the hops. This has a little brett or other funky smell to it...strange.

The first taste is exceptionally tart. My first thought is that this is an appricot lambic, but it's classified as an IPA. Is there any wild yeast here? If not I think it's about time Sam! This beer would improve from a little wild yeast.

Mouthfeel seems thin but that may be in part to the high carbonation from the fruit. When I homebrew my fruit beers have always been overcarbonated and I think that's what happened here. I think if I let this sit for 10-20 minutes I would like it better. ***Note to future partakers - warm this to cellar temp before consuming and decant for 5-10 minutes to allow the excess carbonation to vent off.

Overally drinkability is unhindered by everything. Is this my favorite fruit beer? Hell no but it's not bad. I would drink another if it were offered which is more than I can say for any Sam Adam's fruit beer.

Final Note: Let me finish by saying that I really want to love this beer. I truly respect Sam and his crew and I will continue to buy up their great beers but I can't say I truly love this one. I know some people will love this beer, but I'll stick to 90 minute, 120 minute, and Black and Blue!

2.63/5  rDev -31.3%

I got the last third of the bottle that the Mrs had opened in my absence. I told her that I'd have to drive to Wisconsin to get more. I don't think she knows what these cost either.

Looks a beautiful dark amber tone that has a light lace. No foam as my wife had been drinking this out of the bottle and put it back on the fridge door.

Sweet smelling and fruity. Apricots.

Oh dear. A sour lambic like issue. Flat syrup tasting sour. Not at all IPA like the label told me. Off tasting bottle that makes me think this one's had some MAJOR storage issues.

I need another one that's fresher to fairly evaluate this one.

4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a nice bronze color. Somewhat thin head surprisingly leaves some nice lacing. Smells slightly of apricots, with a sweet malty aroma that is sort of unusual but nice. I thought it tasted delicious. Had a hint of apricots in every sip but never overdid it. The balance of the hops found in just about every Dogfish Head beer worked very well with the apricots. Has a bit more carbonation than I would prefer, but not so much that it put me off. I had one of these and would probably drink one or two more before I would rather move on to something else. If you're having just one, this is one I'll choose fairly often.

2.9/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

on tap poured into pint glass

a: clear redish color, slight head that reuces to lacing rings

s: strong fruitiness, followed by citrusy hops

t: carmelized fruit/apricot. hops are clean and balance well. Finishes slightly tart

m&d: this is were the beer loses me, I find it to be a bit syrupy/medicinal. Ok drinkablility, but not my cup of tea.

Cheers!!!

1.82/5  rDev -52.5%

bottled 2/3/08

poured a clear golden copper with a 1 finger white head which left minimal lacing

smell is tart(apricots) and bready malts no hops i can detect and i swear i can smell bottled water if thats possible

taste is tart apricots and a little malt - this is an IPA???? need to change this one of course i was expecting 60min with apricots. this beer is too tart. this beer would be much improved with some more malts and hops. this is water with unripe apricots. Complete Rubbish

mouthfeel was medium and overcarbonated imo. it was like drinking apricot soda.

not drinkable imo - but i bought a four pack and the 1st to the last now it has not changed - glad i tried it but never again

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a deep clear copper color with an off white head that lingers pretty well leaving nice lacing.

Nose has very minimal apricot, but it is there (barely). Not a terrible amount of hoppiness in the nose either, but there is some rock candy like malt sweetness, tiny touch of apricot, a bit of fructose.

Wow. Taste is suprising sublime. A nice but not overwhelming apricot presence. Sort of accentuated by the dryness of this beer. The IPA part of the equation works well with this providing slight bitterness and some citrus flavor to match the softness of apricot. A very well blended flavor profile. The malt profile and slight sweetness works with the apricot as well. Defenitely an interesting beer. A crisp dry finish is essential here with the fruitlike profile, and this one delivers that.

Mouthfeel is pretty much right where it should be here. Carbonation is fine. Love the dryness here, really makes the beer.

Drinkability is alot more solid than i expected for an "apricot brew". I was expecting it to be a bit more cloying and was pleasantly suprised.

Overall, I like it for what it is. Will i buy a half rack tomorrow? no. Would i drink six of them if asked to? yes. Not my favorite beer ever, but ive got to respect how well they've balanced the IPA and fruit profiles of this beer. Not an easy task and it is pretty well done with this one. If "melding" were a category, this one would get a 4.5 in said category. Give it a shot, a unique and interesing beer.

2.74/5  rDev -28.5%

A: Pours a light amber with a fizzy white head that leaves decent lacing.

S: I didn't really get too much hop aroma with this one. Some apricot, but mostly a musty malt aroma. I wasn't really impressed at all.

T: Malty & fruity sweetness with an aftertaste that just didn't do it for me. Metallic aftertaste.

M: Average mouthfeel.

D: The 7% alcohol is hidden very well, but I just didn't like the taste. I'm happy that I only bought a single 12 oz. because I doubt I will ever buy this again.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery