ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,606 | Reviews: 1,692
3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

Dogfishhead Aprihop pours a very slightly hazy light amber with a nice small but thick head. The aroma is dominated by apricots, sweet and fragrant. There is some hint of hop aroma as well. Bitterness from the hops comes through first in the flavor, followed by apricot flavor that kind of masks the hops. The apricot flavor makes the beer seem dryer with no sweetness to back it up. This is defintely better than your average fruit beer, but I'll take 60/90/120 min any day.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

12-ounce bottle poured into my DFH shaped pint glass yields a bright, clear amber body capped with two fingers of bright, fine-grained white foam that recedes to a thin ring and leaves a little lacing.

Smell is dry and citrusy with a zesty sting of apricot.

Taste is like a tart apricot and pale ale soda pop; deeply malty with plenty of tangy fruit and a nice sizzle of carbonation that helps to keep the drink from getting too sticky or too sweet. Tart, crisp, astringent finish.

Though terrific as a change of pace, I likely wouldn't want more than one of these fruity little gems in a sitting. Fruity, crisp and refreshing, but did I say, "fruity"?

2.9/5  rDev -24.5%

12 oz bottle (bottled on 3/18/08) poured into my meantime snifter, Aprihop is a clear copper with a small white head that quickly settles, leaving light lace. Served at fridge temp.

Smell is apricot syrup and crystal malt, fairly soft at first, with the fruit gaining prominence as it warms, as do the boozy vapors. While alluring for a fruit beer, the label might have one expecting complimentary hop aroma, which I cannot for the life of me find. It smells like a cheap fruit wine.

Taste is grassy hops, light apricot and grainy, with a bitter finish. Alcohol is prevalent, at first it seemed fairly clean but not to well hidden, but as I worked my way through it, the fusels dominated the aftertaste in an distasteful manner.

Mouthfeel is sharp and crisp, drier, but with a thicker, viscous body.

Drinkability is OK, more bad then good, definitely not as exciting as the fruited IPA experiment sounds, though not a total dud either. It goes down pretty easily at first, but the booze tires, and by the end, I'm pretty much sick of it. I've only had this once before, and it's been at least 2-3 years...I liked it more then, although at the time I was expecting it to be overly fruity, which it's not. I recall more hops though...perhaps my tastes have changed living on the west coast, perhaps it's just a function of this bottle being 3 months old. Either way, I don't see myself ever buying another one of these.

3.06/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mug. The beer poured a clear copper, with hints of orange, color with a thick white head that dissolved slowly. The aroma was pretty true to an IPA, some hops with a slight touch of sweetness. The taste was not particularly appealing to me. The sweetness of the fruit was the first thing that I tasted and I could not really get past it. I tasted the fruit at the beginning, got the hops in the middle and then back with the fruit. Overall, this was not what I was expecting at all. I expected more IPA with a hint of the apricot, but it seemed for me to be the other way around. The carbonation was right for the beer, but I could not drink more than one. I will probably not buy/order again.

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle in a DFH shaped pint glass.

A - Copper in color with good clarity and a thick head.

S - Sweet malt and floral hops.

T - Sweet malt with a mild fruit flavor and a slightly bitter finish. I was surprised by the flavor. This is a good and legitimate beer. The name had me expecting a fruity girl's drink suitable for a mini umbrella but that wasn't the case.

M - Good consistency. It coats the mouth nicely.

D - This is a good beer and nice for the warm weather. It's not my style but I would certainly have it again.

3.38/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled in 03/08.

Pours a clear light golden orange, fluffy white head builds up on it. The smell is pretty grainy... somewhat like a mild pale ale. There is some fruit in the aroma but it's nonspecific. The taste is like dry fruit, apricot is apparent here. Pale malt body contributes some grain flavor to it. Not a lot of hops that stand out in this the way you normally find them in an IPA. Nice beer overall, if a little underwhelming.
___

4-4-08
On tap at Toronado SD. Still the same, grainy pale ale. Not my favorite, ratings adjusted.

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

An orange body with a two-finger, frothy head that receeded slowly and left some head. A hop, citrus smell that is pretty basic. A little too sour on terms of the fruit part, but still a good beer with the hops and dryness of an IPA prevelant. It is just that the normal citric fruit taste from an IPA is replaced by some other fruits (apricots, cherries) and it seemed a little too much as it passed over my tongue.
Could've just been the glass I had, which was a temporary on-tap at a local beer bar. Still, a medium-bodied beer that went down smooth and I'll have another.

4.23/5  rDev +10.2%

A: A nice amber clear rusty pour with small head and little lacing. However, i didn't really give it a great pour.
S: Nice IPA, hops up front with some malts, then a nice fruity apricot aroma. You can get small scent of alcohol, but it's hidden nicely.
T: Pleasantly supprised by the nice mix of hops, malt, and fruit. It's not over whelming and as stated, the alcohol is nicely hidden.
M:Nice mouthfeel, hops and malts stick around. Fruit lingers to give a sweet lingering taste.
D: Nicely done my Dogfish, as usual, and is very drinkable. I would limit it to two or three per sitting. Nice fathers day present from Jess.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

12 oz bottle acquired at Arbor Place Beverages in Douglassville, GA. Poured into a pint.

A: Poured a coppery orange with a nice frothy head. Created some sticky lacing. Good beer that looks like an IPA as well it should.

S: Smell is of citrus and floral hops, malt and ripe apricots. Smells great.

T: This beer has a bit of sweet and sour going on here. Has the bitterness of some citrus hops combined with the sweetness of the apricot. The normal heavy bitterness of an IPA is very well balanced with the sweetness of the apricots and malt.

M: A light to medium bodied experience that leaves some coating of the mouth. This beer finishes pretty clean and is very refreshing.

D: For an IPA this is very accessible. My girlfriend can't stomach IPAs but she drank a whole bottle of this. The bitterness is very well balanced with the perfect fruit to do the job in my opinion. Great brew.

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a clear amber/orange with little head that dissipates quickly. A very transparent beer that I thought would have been a little cloudy being an IPA. The smellleave a little to be desired but a nice, subtle hop presence is there with an ever-so-slight whiff of fruit. Taste is pretty good. Hop spiciness up front and the apricot is a little more pronounced than the aroma letson. A little pine/citrus is there from the IPA portion. Mouthfeel is a light smooth one. This is a very easily drinkable beer on a hot summer night.

Pours a clear coppery amber with a very creamy one finger off white head and nice slightly oily lacing.

The nose is quite good, somewhat grassy with fresh hops, citrus and the scent of apricot.

The taste is what you'd expect from a crisp full bodied IPA with the added apricot character. Somewhat sweet but also somewhat sour in the back of the mouth (in a pleasant way) with a muted bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, somewhat slick and is very smooth and quite carbonated. Seems right though.

This is one I think I could easily get used too, smooth, goes down easily and has a taste you remember. I can see looking forward to having this seasonal every year when it rolls around.

3.36/5  rDev -12.5%

12 oz bottle - undated

A - Nothing particular special about this one - except that it isn't anything unusual, which when considering an alternative style beer is worth noting. Darker golden color with a light amount of haze. Light head that disappears quickly.

S - A combination of malt sweetness and citrus hops on the nose. Those hops notes seem fruity, but my impression is that they aren't from apricots.

T - At first it rolls with a light amount of sweetness with an appropriate balance of bitterness. The middle flair is more sweet. Finishes with a an extremely strong mix of sweet with apricots.

M - Seems a bit watery - like the body just isn't what I would expect. Nothing wrong with it per say, it just doesn't feel right considering its heavy contents.

D - The late taste + after taste might wear on me a bit. The apricots may be an interesting attempt to pull your taste buds another direction, but at the end it does become a bit boring.

I love DFH - and I'm glad I tried this one, regardless of any criticisms.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Beautiful clear copper with two fingers of fluffy white foam. Carbonation is very active making for some excellent head retention.

Smell: Strangely, not a lot of hop aroma; instead, it's all apricot, juicy and slightly tart, with a hint of citrus beneath it.

Taste/mouthfeel: This is my first fruit-infused IPA, and I wasn't entirely sure if it would work or not. I'm happy to say that it does, and it's even quite good. Thankfully this beer is still pretty dry, even with the addition of fruit. The apricots lend a lot of flavor, but don't overwhelm the base beer, which is actually quite mild despite the label proclaiming something about a "serious IPA" (though I should know by now that DFH doesn't truly make aggressively hoppy beers). Grassy, citric hop flavors blend nicely with the apricot, which is pleasantly fruity without being particularly sweet, and even provides a hint of tartness, while the finish is clean, dry and crisp.

Drinkability: I drank this one in no time at all and I'd gladly have another.

Notes: Thanks dyan, this one is the first of many.

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

12oz bottle served in a pint glass
In the glass aprihop looks very nice, bright coppery orange, slightly hazy with a thick tight white head that dissipates to a ring of bubbles. The smell is of subtle IPA you still get the caramel malt and buttery grain with citrus/pine hops but everything is subdued a bit and rounded by a bit of sweet apricot. The taste is again a decent IPA, nothing over the top by any means, but the IPA base is there with sweet apricot layered on top. The hoppiness is cut a bit so as not to fight with the fruit while the fruit isn't cloyingly sweet or way overdone, overall the balance spot on. The finish is sweet and dry and well it tastes like apricots quite pleasant actually. Drinkability too is good the beer has enough balance to make it quite quaffable despite weighing in at 7%, the alcohol is really well hidden. I was skeptical of this pairing and admittedly slow to give this beer a try but I have to say that I'm pleasantly surprised. DFH did a really good job of pairing the right fruit with this style, very enjoyable.

3.82/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Clear, light amber with one finger head. Retention is short, leaving a thin film.

S - Very solid "beer" aroma, light malts, some cereal grain, with a touch of citrus hops. Faint, sourish apricot rides over the hops.

T - Not what I though, average in some ways, but quite good. The apricot is very subdued, and the hop character isn't terribly pronounced. Light malts stand out the most, and the hops really begin to come out as the beer warms, ranging from citrus to floral. The apricot is a faint haze that hangs around throughout the malt and then hop character of the beer. Finishes clean.

M - Light and refreshing, moderate to high carbonation. Worked well with the flavor.

D - One of the better summer brews I've had. Could have a few if not for price, and the sourness start showing after a bit.

4.02/5  rDev +4.7%

Poured from a 12-ounce bottle into a Widmer's Hefeweizen pint glass.

A: Poured a very clean and clear looking copper-amber color with decent floating carbonation and a thin layer of creamy white foam. The lacing was okay.

S: Smells of buttery malts, some floral, resinous hop leaves, and a dose of that distinct apricot aroma, which is muted, blunt, and slightly buttery in its own right.

T: The taste is on track with the smell; bittersweet malt and hop balance noticeable right away, with a mild slick coating of hop son the tongue and in the finish. The X factor here is the apricot. It is noticeable, with a musty, fruity taste. However, the IPA cuts it and makes for a maddeningly addictive combo.

M: Mouthfeel is medium bodied and a tad oily.

D: If the ABV weren't all jacked up and this came in a 6-pack, this brew would dominate my fridge in the late spring and summer months. Very interesting, yet familiar where it needs to be. A nice session.

True, the comparisons to Magic Hat #9 would hold strong, but this brew has that patented Dogfish Head IPA flavor behind it. The lavish hop aroma and resinous flavor break the mold of other apricot fruit beers, making this one quite unique and one to seek out.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

Average orange color with a good sticky head.

Aroma is grassy, resiny hops with a bit of apricot flavor.

Taste: Hops are subdued enough to consider this a pale and not a true IPA. Clean malt sets up a slightly sour and tart apricot flavor which mingles with light piney hops and a hint of earth.

Apricot isn't overdone and tastes "real" -- hops could be a bit stronger. Fairly tasty and easy to drink.

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

a: frothy off-white head, clear golden body, little lacing.

s: perfumey hops and, surprise, surprise: apricots.

t: a light ipa, especially for dfh. pale malt, crisp, light, perfumey hops and a finish of apricots.

m: light, refreshing, very smooth.
From the label: "over-the-top smoothness." -playboy magazine

d: I wouldn't call it an ipa (which dfh does), wouldn't buy it again at $9.99 per 4-pack, but...
This is an excellent fruit beer. Not too sweet, the apricot flavor doesn't taste artificial as many fruit beers do. My only complaint is the lack of hops, I expect more from dfh.

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%

Hops, a little malt, and some Apricot!

Rusty gold color, good clarity, a smallish head.

Tart and bitter apricot main tones. Fruity hop sensation with a little bit of bitterness. Dry, caramel-flavored malt sweetness.

Very apricot, very refreshing. It's more like a beer flavored apricot than vice versa. Quite tasty.

3.18/5  rDev -17.2%

I've loved this beer from previous batches - but this year I didnt think as much of it. I'm normally a fan of "hoppy" Dogfish Head beers, but this batch seemed to have less of a hop flavor than I remembered of years past. Still not bad and worth a try.

3.99/5  rDev +3.9%

poured 12 ounce bottle into SA pint glass
A-deep orange color with thick head, lots of carbonation
s-hops meet apricot, with the apricots getting more pronounced over time
T-very pronounced apricot with some hops thrown in
m&d-nice medium body and lots of carbonation, it can be easilly quaffed. The 7% ABV is well hidden
Overall-Magic Hat's #9 with more hops. I like this beer better, but not by alot. If you are in the mood for an apricot beer either is a good choice with #9 being more economical

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Tried a sample of this at Villa Macri.

Served on draft into a traditional pint glass.

Poured a cloudy light amber. Smells of hops and apricots, exactly what you would expect from Dogfish.

Tasted pretty similar to magic hat #9, but hoppier. The more I drank, the less I noticed the apricots.

All in all its a solid brew. Not my favorite Dogfish Head offering, but it seemed that everyone around me that had it liked it alot.

Good beer, did not dissapoint.

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

12 oz bottle dated 3/13/08 poured into a nonic

A - One finger head, rapidly dissipates, sorta has that real ale type head thing going as it thins out. Pours just a hair darker than your standard amber colored pour. Some carbonation going on. Constant carbonation going on as I drink this, staring at the top of my glass. Those bubbles may just have more fight in them than when I first poured this thing.

S - Well, apricot. More skin than fruit smell, like when you're smelling one before biting into it. They've captured the essence of the fruit fairly well in the aroma, not just its sugary sweetness. If you dig a medium but not overpowering hit of fruity aroma I can see someone giving this a 4.0 or 4.5. I tend to love a good whack on the head type aroma, so this is probably more in the 3.5 to 4.0 range for me.

T - First hit, they've dressed down the India Pale Ale in here (surprising for Dogfish!), really let the apricot take center stage. I think this is a good thing as much as I love me an IPA. I sort of expected the apricot dominance to fade after some sips and some warming and that's precisely happening. The IPA is coming through a bit more. Two drinks (er, three? apricot ale, apricot IPA, IPA in various permutations) in one, which is fun. No, no, just as I write it off the apricot rallies on that last swig.

M/D - Well carbonated, perhaps a touch too much but I'm willing to reconsider. If you're not paying attention to each sip, just sort of casually drinking this is a little metallic/harsh and puckery. Perhaps that dissipates as it warms up a bit. Ok it does, if just a touch. It's the one disconcerting aspect of this beer so far.

A fun beer to sit down and ponder. This is part of what makes craft beer so fun. I'm not enamored with the overall flavor but as is usually the case with Dogfish Head, this is superbly crafted and a professional brew by all measures. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and in doing so delivers above expectation.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Pours a clear, amber color with a large off white head sitting on top. The head has good retention.

The aroma is interesting. Definitely some fruitiness, apricots are definitely there. It blends well with the hop profile, which has a bit of a piney feel.

The taste is ok, but I'm not terribly impressed. The apricot flavor definitely comes through. Also a bitter hop profile with a subtle characteristic.

Mouthfeel is Medium bodied, and rather creamy. The carbonation is a bit low and makes for a very smooth drink.

Drinkability is moderate. Alcohol isn't too terribly high, and flavor is ok but more than a bottle in a sitting is just annoying.

4.01/5  rDev +4.4%

I'm noticing a trend with these Dogfish Head fruit flavored beers; they're far more balanced then I expect going in.

Pours a light amber with a two inch white head. Very nice color and light diffraction (most DFH beers look great, this is no exception). Smells faintly of apricots, with some pine hops and a bit of yeastiness.

Tastes like it has apricots, but again; it's not an overwhelming flavor. Some pine hops, some yeast, and more than a bit of sweet ... honey?

A very good, balanced beer. If available locally, I'd try all the time. Thanks Bgramer!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery