ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

ApriHopApriHop

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
MeLikeBeer

3.4/5  rDev -11.5%

The bottle states; "A serious India Pale Ale brewed with real apricots."

I love DFH beers. I had also heard quite alot about this beer prior to tasting. Not sure if it was due to the hype or due another factor but I couldn't get into this beer.

Poured a deep orange color, I thought I could detect hints of red/pink in the glass. Minimal foam, very light lacing.

Smells like...roses...very little hop aroma (I was expecting more). Aroma of bread and fruit.

Tastes...fairly smooth. A small grapefruit bitterness hits the palate on first taste which is quickly overpowered by the sweet flavor (you have to really search your tastebuds for the apricot). It does tend to get better as it warms.

I could drink a few of these, but will be spending my $$$ on other DFH offerings (60,90,120-yum!) instead.

06-07-2006 01:34:01 | More by MeLikeBeer
Phatz

3.38/5  rDev -12%

Appearance: Pours a bronzed deep orange color with a huge frothy head magnificent heavy sheets of frothy lacing and very active carbonation. A fantastic clarity through the body showcases extremely active carbonation bubbles rising furiously to feed the frothy cap the lasted the duration of the beer.
NOTES:
I had heard so much about this beer, and anticipated it for a long time. I had built an image in my mind of what I expected and the smell and taste were not what I was expecting. I think I was expecting something bigger. This was aver nice easy approachable beer but a bit muted in the smell and taste.
---

Smell: Yeast and bread aromas register immediately in the nose. Very subtle hints of fruit (apricot) and juice, lie beneath the multigrainy bread aroma.

Taste: Week malts and a lightly sour hop character hit the palate first. The flavor seems to me somewhat missing on the front end and only shows up in the middle as a bit of a sharp yeasty taste. Simply not very interesting until the finish when it all of the sudden has a surge of thick malts and a tart hop smack and the alcohol stings along with the hops leaving the aftertaste a bit astringent and lip smacking. The aftertaste almost seemed to be salty. ‘?’ odd. Not bad but certainly not balanced. There was barely an undertone of juicyness through the middle. If it hadn’t suggested it was apricot I wouldn’t have gotten that specific fruit until I had a flavorful burp (yummy;) which yelled ‘apricot’.
NOTES:
The people I have talked to who had this beer in previous years indicated that this beer was more fruity and more balanced in previous years. Whether this is a dicrepency of my personal tastes, this particular bottle or this years batch of ApriHop is unclear.

---
Mouthfeel: Very smooth, juicy malty body that seemed a bit oily at times and yet had great carbonation.

Drinkability: Other than being a bit boring and the strange aftertaste it left me with, this beer would be pretty easy drinking.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

06-06-2006 05:56:47 | More by Phatz
Illinick

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

A: Burnt orange amber in color with a big fluffy slightly tan head that dissipates slowly, but sticks around at about 3/8 of an inch. Impressive lacing.
S: Sweet baked apricots and a sort of orange and peach smell in there slightly. Most likely just complimentary apricot smells. Some hops, but not as much as I expected. A slightly musty smell too.
T: Overly sweet baked apricots and apricot syrup. It displayed flavors of a late harvest Reisling. If you've ever had a good Late Harvest Reisling (like Hogue) that isn't decanted enough, that's what this reminded me of. Some noted hops, but the overly sweet apricot flavors over take them.
MF: Creamy and medium light.
Overall: Kudos for effort, but for me this one falls really short. The baked apricot flavors are too over the top and over take the hop bitterness too much. A fruit IPA? I'd like a little more IPA and this would be good.

06-04-2006 19:25:07 | More by Illinick
WeisGuy

3.9/5  rDev +1.6%

a - burnt orange/rust color, small head that leaves a nice lace

s - wow, you really can smell the apricot, nice fruitiness to go along with the hops and bitterness, pretty sweet smelling

t - once again, the fruitiness of the apricot is dominant up front, but you soon after know this is a DFH IPA when the hoppy bitterness hits and gives you a nice lingering bitterness on the finish, the sweetness is a nice complement to the hops, the alcohol is really not that evident

m - pretty light feeling in the mouth, but there is some oiliness on the finish from the hops

d - very drinkable, but some palates might be pressed hard with the sweetness and bitterness, I, for one, could drink at least a couple pretty easily

I was a little skeptical of an apricot beer because of my past disappointments with fruit beers, but DFH has a winner here, the combination of sweetness from the apricots and the bitterness of the hops is very nicely balanced. This is a great beer for mixing things up every once in a while.

06-03-2006 18:43:39 | More by WeisGuy
Mdog

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

Appearance: Reddish Gold.

Smell: Apricots, and lots of them.

Taste: A unique mix of piney hops and apricots throughout. As the beer gets warmer the hops seem to disappear and it's like biting into an apricot.

Mouthfeel: Typical for an IPA.

Drinkability: I could have a couple of these in a night, but would prefer them to stay a little more to the cool side.

I think this is one of the better fruit beers I've had. I think it's because it has more hop flavor than the others I've tried. I'd have it again, it's a pretty good beer.

06-03-2006 02:48:22 | More by Mdog
Metalmonk

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

Pours a very thin head atop a radiant rust colored body. No lace anywhere.

I can definitely smell the apricot here, riding on top of a well-balanced hops/malt foundation.

At the beginning of the sip, an immediate succulence hits that, yeah, reminds of apricot, followed by a grapefruit sourness brought on by the hops. This beer seems to achieve a better balance and more agreeable flavor profile as it warms...the needed maltiness comes through much better. Apricot flavor lingers long after the sip, which is really nice.

A creamy mouthfeel helps bring this sweet, fruity, unsual IPA on home. It's not the kind of left-of-center I usually appreciate from DFH, but it's different enough to drink when the regular IPAs, no matter how good, start tasting the same.

06-01-2006 02:55:23 | More by Metalmonk
riversider76

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours amber. One finger head,with very good retention,and lacing.Smell is of hops and fruit. Very nice. Body is fairly light,with some carbionation.Taste is unique. Smooth,with a hops start,and a fruit finish.Very intresting little bottle. Recommended!

05-31-2006 23:49:30 | More by riversider76
rabsten

West Virginia

4.22/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a Schlafly pub pint glass, thick, sticky head atop solid, dead-on amber shoulders. Laces well.

Smells like a straight IPA. Hops first on a malt base.

Hmmm, tastes eerily like, let me think, DFH 90 minute! In fact, to confirm this I cracked open my last 90 min. to check, and it's darn near identical. A litte sweeter, a little less malt and acohol, but overall, very, very close.

Nicley balanced, strong start with mild finish. Drinkability good.

Weird. This is what I'd expect the 75 min. to taste like. Less malt and alcohol than the 90 min.; more than the 60 min. And the apricots? Couldn't tell they were ever there..

Bottom line: looking for a 90 Minute that you can have more than one of? This is your brew.

05-26-2006 22:28:45 | More by rabsten
lou91

The label described this as an IPA with apricots and this is exactly what it smelled and tasted like. Crisp, clean with nice apricot flavors not hidden or sublte but not over the top like a New Glarus. Long dry, almost oakey, aftertaste. As it warmed the flavors came together very well which speaks to the quality of this beer. Yum. Part of my XBIF box of goodies.

05-26-2006 06:04:22 | More by lou91
WonderWoman

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours an apricot color…go figure…with a lovely cream colored head that leaves nice lacing.
Smells of apricots, brown sugar, and slight hops.
When sipped it is very smooth with tickles of carbonation. Once it hit’s the back of your throat it opens up with an inviting alcohol blast.
Tastes of hops and dry apricots skin that pair nicely.
Over all, I enjoyed this beer. I had it after a long day of work on a warm spring day, and it was the way to end the night!!

05-26-2006 02:40:51 | More by WonderWoman
DarkerTheBetter

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

This beer poured an appropriate dark apricot color. What really caught my attention was the storm of sluggish little bubbles working themselves up from the bottom of my pint. This sustained the thickest, creamiest head I’ve ever seen out of a bottled beer (not including Duvel). Wow! This just helped pile on sheets of pale yellow lace.

Smells of super dry and piney hops with a little metallic hint to it. There’s also a slight white flour doughiness to this as well with some subtle fruity sweetness.

Tastes of the same light pale malt with a slight fruity and dry sweetness. Then came some dry, woody hops that bring with them some oaky, grassy notes that suggest apricot.

This beer feels really big in my mouth, but its glassy smooth that’s thickened into a creamy foam after is sits for a second.

The apricot is really understated considering the beer’s name, but it is tasty none the less. Also, the dryness of this beer was prominent, but it didn’t get carried away. Over all, this was just really easy to drink.

05-26-2006 01:42:23 | More by DarkerTheBetter
brushpig

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%

Had a couple of these at a dinner party and I found them very enjoyable.

The color was orange, redish like copper, with a very small white head that diminished quickly.

Not a very strong smell, I was expecting a strong apricot smell, but
only smelled a malty fruit aroma.

The taste on the other hand was more potent, a nice hoppy fruity
taste, well balenced with a smooth finish. Syrupy, but not too thick on the palate. The flavor duration lasted a long time.

A very nice and drinkable beer. Good with a light meal.

05-25-2006 15:15:29 | More by brushpig
doppelmeup

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured a dark copper color into a tulip glass. A vigourous pour only resulted in a half inch head, which dissipated fairly quickly, leaving a ring of foam around the outside edge. Slight lacing on the glass.

The aroma was not nearly as strong as I was expected. I was expecting a stronger apricot smell, but it was barely there. I did smell some grassy hops, but not a very strong aroma.

Taste was similar to the smell. Grassy hops, very slight, subtle apricot flavor. An India Pale ale taste is the primary flavor.

Kind of a thick mouthfeel. Almost syrupy. Not much carbonation.
Slight lingering malt flavor, but not really pronounced.

Overall, I wasn't that impressed with this beer. I was expecting more of an apricot flavor, and a bit sweeter beer. I wasn't bad, but it was disappointing. I'll pass on this the next time.

05-25-2006 00:16:33 | More by doppelmeup
BeerRun13

4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a super clear deep copper. A small head fades to a ring and laces nicely.
Smells like the label says... an apricot IPA. Toasty malts, hops, and apricot. Not a super strong smell.
Taste mirrors the aroma. Very good!
Light to medium bodied. Maybe just a little slick, but still good.
I'm impressed all the way around with this one. Good beer and very drinkable. I'm really starting to love this beer you call DFH.

05-24-2006 23:04:58 | More by BeerRun13
orsulacp

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer poured a clear copper with a 1/2" white head and very active carbonation. The smell has apricots, some other citrus hops and a nice malty background. The taste is dominated by the biscuity malt with a good hop bite and not as much of the apricots as the smell would indicate. It has a medium light mouthfeel, and is refreshing. Not one flavor stands out they all work together, I think I would like a bit more apricot in the taste.

05-22-2006 14:49:00 | More by orsulacp
scooter231

2.93/5  rDev -23.7%

Randallized, this was not my favorite beer ever. It was a pretty rusty color with nice head and lacing, reminding me of the bottled version. However, the nose and taste were... bland. Now, I know there were apricots in with the beer, so maybe they sucked in all the flavor and left the beer kind of boring? I don't know, but it was definitely lacking, and not that apricot-y! There was a bit of a biscuity thing and fruity thing going on, but it was dull. Mouthfeel was watery and felt pretty flat. All that being said, I could have a couple of these, but not too many- it's just not what the bottle is.

05-18-2006 07:55:49 | More by scooter231
beermanbrian

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Nice copper color with a steady stream of carb. Head drops to a thin film quickly. No lacing. Smell of appricot but I think that is only due to anticipating it due to the name. Really very subtle. Taste is sweet malt up front followed by the appricot. After that a nice hops bite comes through. Just a hint of alcohol comes though in the finish. This is a nice beer and better than I was expecting.

05-17-2006 00:49:10 | More by beermanbrian
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

A: Clear copper, off-white head, very little retention and lace.

S: Malty, slightly fruity (apricot).

T: The flavour isn't over-powering, yet somehow it hides the alcohol content. There's a really nice bready malt flavour, some apricot, with a hint of hops. It has a clean, crisp bitterness.

M: Moderate to full body, moderate carbonation. Very nice.

D: Very drinkable.

05-16-2006 22:10:17 | More by Derek
Brian700

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

I just got a few of these in the mail today from AKSmokedPorter. Thanks a bunch. It pours a reddish amber color with an off-white head that fizzled down to a ring around my glass. There is a little lacing going on.

The aroma is slightly fruity with some hop and juniper notes.

The flavor is got plenty of hop presence and there is an underlying fruitiness that is somewhat subtle. When I really focus on it I can recognize that apricot flavor but it is pretty subtle. I think of juniper at first when I sip it. The fruit is in the middle and then finally you are left with some hop flavor in the finish.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

I think this is a pretty drinkable beer.

05-14-2006 06:00:57 | More by Brian700
sinistrsam

Maryland

This poured a pink-gold with a large white foamy head. It left good lacing and had good retention. The aroma was unmistakable; apricot, obviously. But other sweet fruits were present, maybe strawberry? Malts and mild hop presence. Much of the same in the taste. Apricot and sweet fruits, citrus, malts and alcohol follow. Maybe some wheat, biscuit and caramel. It had an overall mouthfeel that I enjoyed, and I'm not a big fruit beer kinda guy. It was sweet but not syrupy, hoppy but not bitter. Almost buttery aftertaste, lingering on the tongue. Very well balanced which I think is key in making this style. Too often a mild inbalance in flavor and feel makes the difference between a drinkable fruit beer and one you toss out. Very drinkable.

05-13-2006 20:31:09 | More by sinistrsam
MuenchenerKindl

Germany

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured into a std. pt glass. This beer has a very sup prizing crimson hue. the head billows high of bone white cottony fluff goodness. Great job guys!

The smell is not apprizings of apricot and slight peach, Underneath an amply supply of hops.

Taste is above ave. for the style. Fruits and lightly roasted malt giving way to great hopy excellence.

Drinkability is way above the competition. Thumbs up! MK

05-08-2006 04:39:51 | More by MuenchenerKindl
silver0rlead

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Bottled on 2/22/06:Pours a slightly cloudy orangish-amber, with thin beige head that dissapates quickly (i messed up the pour so ill give this beer the benefit of the doubt. The aroma is initially very fruity with a freshly picked apricot nose, as well as some citrus and piney hops, caramel sweetness, fruity esters and a touch of alcohol. The flavor also starts out with a fresh apricot note, along with some orange and lemon, citrusy and piney hops, honey, toasted bread and alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium and not too thick like some IPAs, and drinkability is very good. A good beer, unfortunately it's been sitting in my cellar a couple months and the hops have diminished and this beer has lost some of it's character.

05-07-2006 06:08:29 | More by silver0rlead
Padron4KM

Arizona

3.83/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz bottle, no freshness date.

orangy-amber, with a tight, creamy tan head. Spotty lacing.

Aroma is fruity, more peach than apricot, overripe melon, a little floral, a little pine.

Sweet, fuzzy peach flavor really shines in the flavor, backed up by some grapefruit, and nice acidity. Not overly complex but it works.

I generaly don’t like fruit beers, but i dug this one. definitely will buy again.

05-04-2006 06:40:24 | More by Padron4KM
ommegangpbr

"A glorious India Pale Ale brewed with real apricots" says the bottle.
That sums it up quite well.
This is an IPA of quality between their 60 and 90 minute IPAs with apricot flavor. Frankly, I'd like to taste the IPA this would be without the apricots... but it works out well.
Because of the hops bitterness, the flavor reminds me more of nectarines than of apricots, but they are similar enough flavors.
Pretty, fragrant, quite tasty... over priced, though. I paid $8.99 plus tax and deposit for a four pack. A six pack of this at that price is something I wouldn't object to, but not for a 4 pack.
If you don't like apricots, peaches or nectarines then don't bother with this.
Otherwise, belly up!

05-03-2006 09:42:26 | More by ommegangpbr
SwillBilly

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

12 oz bottle from Rick's Wine and Gourmet

Appearance: Pours a golden, amber hue with a minimal white head. Ample rings of wispy lacing are left on the glass as I drink the beer.

Smell: Initial hints of, what else, apricots hit the nose with an underlying aroma of citrus and pine. A big and fruity fragrant beer.

Taste: The beginning is all about the hops. Initially, piney hops blast the palette with a fantastic bitterness. The middle transitions to a big fruity finish, with plenty of apricots in the flavor profile. Those piney hops make their presence known again as they linger on the tongue long after the initial fruity, apricot finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with ample carbonation, somewhat slick and oily.

Drinkability: DFH never ceases to amaze me. I'm usually not a big fan of fruity beers, but Aprihop is the exception. A big, hoppy and fruity ale. Plenty of hop bitterness that is offset with the big apricot sweetness. An easy drinker, with well hidden alcohol, howeve, not a session type beer. Seek out and enjoy another fine beer from DFH.

04-29-2006 18:43:13 | More by SwillBilly