ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
3.92/5  rDev +2.3%

12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Pours out a nice hazy amber hue. The head is off white and soapy.

S - A nice scent of fresh apricot back by some other fruity scents with nice noble hops giving it a flowery scent. Malt is sweet and noticable with a mild caramel scent.

T - Apricot naturally is the first flavor but the hops give this beer a nice flowery hoppy backbone. A malty finish offers of falvors of sweet caramel.

M - Smooth and oily with a tangy carbonation coates your mouth. A little bitter in the back of your mouth in the finish.

D - A nice balance of flavors add to the beers drinkability. Overall this beer is enjoyable and a great spring offering.

3.95/5  rDev +3.1%

A- 1 1/2" yellow/tan head on a clear amber and orange body.
S- Apricots and citrus hops fill the nose. Sweet caramel body underneath it all.
T- Follows the aroma to the tee. Apricots come through pretty big with grass hops and some citrus comes through all on a malt body.
M-Full chewy body with medium carbonation.
D- It is good just not really my thing. Glad I got to try it and will probably leave it at that.

3.72/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a clear but darker amber with a half inch white head that falls fast. Nose is apricot yes, but not powerfully so. It is rather gentle but firm. Flavor is hoppy, but seems interfered with by something. I have to wonder if hops and apricots make a viable chemical mix. Feel is nice. When it first hit my tongue I thought...this one feels good. Nice level of bubble. I have to say I was a bit let down on trying this one. I don’t think I had any over the top expectations for this one, but I don’t feel like it really delivered anything serious. Nice to try, but never again.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

I got this bottle also as an extra in a trade with JDV. Thanks again, Deniz!

This pours from 12oz bottle a cloudy rusty brown with a small but stubborn head of foam.

The smell is of apricots, caramel malt, and a touch of hops in the background. Smells nice.

The taste is well, tasty. Apricots are the first thing I noticed followed by some caramel malt and a nice big heaping helping of hops. Wow. I didn't think the different flavours would work all that well together but hey, they do!

The mouthfeel is medium, the carbonation is fairly low, and it finishes with a good mix of bitter hops and apricot tartness. Very nice indeed!

Thanks again, Deniz, for throwing this one in. DFH has again defied the odds. ;^)

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

12 oz. bottle with a label that feels like it was made with recycled paper. On this recycled paper label is just the name of the beer, their symbol of a dogfish, a small paragraph describing the beer, address of the brewery, refund values, barcode, and the Government warning. There is a "bottled on" date stamped onto the bottle that's just below the neck label. My bottle was bottled on 2/28/07.

Appearance: When poured into a standard American pint glass, Aprihop has a nice dark amber hue with a few yellow highlights. I was kind of expecting an apricot color, but it's nice to see this color instead. It didn't have a decent head of foam when I started pouring and it still didn't have a decent head of foam after the last drop was poured. This beer had a head of foam that if you blink, you're going to miss the entire show. From what I could see, this head of foam was white in color. After quickly vanishing into oblivion, it only left a few white foamy rings and a streak of white lace around the glass.

Smell: It had a mild aroma of burnt hops, caramel malts, a tiny dash of freshly ground coffee beans, and some ripe apricots to round off the aroma. I was hoping there was going to be more apricots in the aroma, but those freshly ground coffee beans were quite a nice surprise.

Taste: It started off relativity strong with plenty of burnt hops, but then every other taste after that tasted like it was beaten down by the burnt hops. Those flavors that were beaten down, were the ripe apricots, sweet caramel malts, and a drop of alcohol. Just to make sure all of those flavors were kept in line, more burnt hops showed up at the end. Actually, if it wasn't for those burnt hops, there would have been very little this beer could offer for the consumer's taste buds.

Mouthfeel: It was another one of those beers that masked it's alcohol content. There was no way I could tell it had a 7% ABV. It had an aftertaste to it, but it wasn't all that good. There was only burnt hops with a pinch of caramel malts behind it.

Drinkability: I like the color, the smell was pretty good, but I just didn't care for it. I didn't care to drink this during the winter season and I still wouldn't care to drink this fresh during the spring season. One was more than enough for me.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle from Tully’s

Appearance: a beautiful rich copper color, with two finger cream colored head, with good lacing.

Aroma: not surprisingly, apricots and hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel: a very smooth IPA. I don’t really taste the apricots, but there is definitely a bit of a fruity presence. It has aood mouthfeel and carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a very pleasant IPA with a twist. I really admire Dogfish Head for their innovation, even if I don’t always like the results. However, this one I can definitely see drinking again.

3.79/5  rDev -1%

12oz. bottle poured into special DFH pint glass on 12/2/07. Bottled on date: 3/2/07.

A - Hard pour yielded hazy, deep amber/orange, almost copper colored body with mammoth three-finger soapy off-white head and lots of bubbly particles. Small head stuck with me until the very end, and left some fantastic lacing all over the glass.

S - Obvious ripe apricot aroma with some fruity esters and light flowery hops. Very mild sweet malt in the nose reminiscent of caramel and light bread.

T - Sweet fruity apricot flavor up front with a lightly bitter finish that ends quite malty for an IPA, with hints of caramel and biscuits. Hops are predominantly citrus and floral.

M - Medium bodied with oily texture and lively carbonation. Mild bitter burn in the finish. Overall, very pleasant mouthfeel for an IPA.

D - The apricot flavor works quite well with the fruity/flowery hops and sweet, bready malts. Looked great in the glass. Nose was a little lacking, but still some nice, fruity aroma was present. Very tasty with a good balance of hops, malts and the apricots. I think beer drinkers who are typically not into IPAs can even appreciate this brew.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Presentation: 12oz bottle (bottled date of 3/14/07) in a Shaker pint

Poured thick, almost a little syrupy. Initially the nose is torn between soft hop bitterness and very faint, overly ripe, starting to go bad apricots. A distant and light caramel quality from the malt adds a touch of sweetness. I was hoping for more on the nose.

Head was a pencil's worth of thin, softly cracklin', winter white foam, the lightest cream hue imaginable, which faded rather quickly to a see-through sheen and a delicate edge ring which laced "dalmatian" ....in small spots. I'd be terribly disappointed if it wasn't apricot in hue - I'm not disappointed. Slightly hazy, its a warm, welcoming hue with a soft radiance with some sporadic bubbles rising slowly thru it.

Mmm...what the nose was lacking the initial taste makes up for. A very nice balanced between mild, yet semi-sharp hop bitterness and round, full, yet subdued apricot sweetness. Add in that caramelized, just barely burnt yet still sweet malt and its very balanced with a decent amount of structure and complexity. Furthering this is a cider-like crispness. All in all a very nice taste & pleasing mouth-feel that is most enjoyable. I can immediately see this being a great paring with some zesty fare like Thai or Pacific Rim, or chicken, pork, or fish prepared with some mild ooomph and citrus. Some dry cheddar would be nice as well.

The malts grow a little breadier with some biscuit/cracker aspects on the palate, it evens out, growing lighter & drier in feel yet much softer & cohesive in taste. It finishes clean, a wee bit bittersweet, leaving a faint hop bitterness and a thin painting of the mouth in apricot sweetness as the 2 "colors" it painted with.

While bummed on the nose, the taste and mouth-feel came thru. It was surprisingly complex and very well balanced with mouth-feel an important factor. I enjoyed this very much and would definitely recommend making a point of annually enjoying this release. I know I will.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

The beer poured with a nice, red brown color with a brownish-white head. It's smell is really strong: heavy citrus. It tastes like a strange combo of a fruit menagerie with tons of hops. This actually makes it very balanced: nothing so overpowering you want to turn it away. But at the same time it is not light either. Overall, this can be a hard beer to get into at first. But it definitely grows on you after the first few strange sips.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a Dogfish Head seasonal beer (7 abv/ 55 IBU) that I had been reluctant to try simply because I despise apricots and because "fruit" beers were never my thing. But this brewer is amazing in that they always have a few surprises - and that they have an international reputation for experimentation - some work, some do not.

This does: topped off with a thick slabby foam that slooowly fades into a thin lacing Aprihop settles into a coppery elixir with a sweetish mouthfeel that seems to avoid being overwhelmed by the primary ingredient (did I mention that I "despise" apricots?).

This one, like most DFH beers, has a fine structured body, and while I would not drink too many of these, I could certainly recommend it to anyone seeking proof as to this brewer's ability.

Note: My tasting took place at the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Gaithersburg, which is not a brewery, so the freshness may have a little off - have been here many times and the issue never arose, anyway. A wonderful if not unique quaff.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

Dogfish Head Aprihop pours a good two fingers of foam over a clear
amber brew. Carbonation is slow but steady, and the nose is fresh
apricot and hop. The flavor is sweet apricots and malt up front with a nice
long bracing citrusy hop finish. The mouthfeel is round, crisp and juicy.
The aftertaste is a pleasantly of apricots- just as if you've been eating
fruit. This is not the hoppiest IPA I've had, but it is one that strikes a nice
balance between rich malt and sharp hops. A flaw I've seen in a lot of
American IPAs is an overemphasis on hops combined with a thin malt
profile- there's none of that hop juice thing here. I also like the fact that
it doesn't have that long grassy hop burn of an aftertaste- for me, a good
sign that this would be great with food as well. They've got the rep for a
reason. Awesome.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A fine red copper color with swirling dust-clouds of carbonation. A nice looking beer. White, fluffy head.

Smell is that of apricot, alcohol, and hops...in that order. Alcohol is medicinal in aroma and the apricot is blandly sweet, like a real apricot so no complaints there. Not as hoppy as one would expect a 'serious india pale ale' to have.

Tastes a lot like it smells except that the hops are an improvement. More hoppy and less alcohol, but only slightly. High point for me is that the apricots don't taste like there is any sugar added, regardless if there is or not which I am not sure of.

Mouthfel is pretty typical. Not watery, but a good refreshing taste with a pleasantly thin carbonation.

Not a bad ale. Lack of any type of noticeable malt is personaly hampering for this brew to me, but I also get that that's not the point of this beer. Decent brew worthy of respect.

3.39/5  rDev -11.5%

Serving type was a standard 12fl.oz bottle

Appearance: Orange w/ some red dashed in, but still pretty clear. Some slight head at the beginning but it fades quickly

Smell: Has a fruity smell, but the apricots are definitely the main focus during the smelling. You can get a touch of the other fruits in the background but they don't really come to the front

Taste: Very interesting taste. Malty toward the end but fruity at first taste. The apricot taste is there and overpowers most of the other flavours at first.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and sweet

Drinkability: A tasty beer that works well at the end of a hot summer day. Wouldn't really drink this during the winter or colder season...but good for a desert like beer. Basically I couldn't see myself having more than 1 a night

Poured a clear orange amber. Nice sized head, but little lacing

Smell is malty with citrus hops and apricot

Taste is sweet with apricot flavor backed up with some hop bitterness. Pretty well-balanced.

Very enjoyable and quite drinkable. I would not have guessed that this was 7%.

Interesting beer from DFH. IPA and apricots. I will be likely to grab an IPA before another aprihop, but given that this is seasonal I think it is a nice change of pace during the year. A beer you should definitely try.

3.87/5  rDev +1%

12 ounce bottle- had in fridge since mid April. Figured good time to quaff last one. Nice looking beer- orange/red amber and good clarity. No head to speak of and minimal lacing. The apricots really show up in the nose of the beer. Taste- the fruit is well blended with the IPA. Very balanced and quite tasty. I think the fruit is showing up more now than when I first purchased it. Nice level of hops, and not too much that could interfere with the apricot flavour. Malts are well done here as well. Drinkability suffers some due to it being 7%. Its a dangerous 7% beer- comes off more like a session ale. One of the better DFH offerings I've tried to date.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

I poured this into a standard pint glass.

A - A coppery orange color with no head and light lacing.

S - Some hops, but nothing really jumped out for me.

T - I definitely tasted an apricot or peach fruity flavor with a decent amount of hops. It was nicely balanced though. I had this once in the past in the bottle, and it definitely tastes much better poured into a glass.

M - Nothing exceptional, a good balance all around.

D - I could drink two or three of these. I think it's a little too hoppy for me to drink several, but I was actually surprised how good it was after remembering how it tasted straight from the bottle.

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, procured at the Walnut Liquorette, in Walnut, CA, update 4/8/09,

A: Deep, dark amber, with a thick, white head, almost orange in appearance.

S: Fragrant fruit salad, with grapefruit, mangoes, tangerines, tropical fruits, like papaya and guava, and of course, the requisite apricots.

T: Very interesting, very sweet, the apricots are there in form, its IPA character is also prevalent, with lots of grapefruit, really no pine in this one, with lots of tropical fruit character, including some pineapple; some faint malts as well, at the end. Big apricot notes which I really like and complemented the hops well. (+.5)

M: Smooth, sweet, resiny, brisk carbonation.

D: A smooth, tasty beer, would be an excellent summer quencher, even with the high ABV, another tasty and great beer from Dogfish Head.

3.6/5  rDev -6%

After reading about this on another site and remembering that I had seen it for sale I decided to pick this up.

I'm a huge IPA fan and the only other Apricot beer I had tried that I can remember was MacAuslan Apricot Wheat. This was very different than that.

Appearance was a very solid copper colour. I had a small lingering head that lasted about half way into my glass.

Smell was slightly hoppy and earthy with a hint of apricot...

Initial taste was very smooth but It was hard to taste the apricot. The sweetness and apricot taste of this beer started to come out after it had warmed up slightly. The apricot taste was slightly present at first but became more prevalent the further into the glass I got.

Mouthfeel was solid but not too heavy given it's higher alc content. I was still able to enjoy this as a refreshing drink.

Drinkability was kind of diminished I think due to the everstrengthening apricot taste. I would probably not go past 2 or 3 of these in a session before moving onto something different.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Let me preface this review by stating that I felt this to be a very strange beer. It poured up very nicely, with a copper bronze coloured body and a big, thick, fluffly white head that lasted several minutes. Smell was rather perfumey with a moderate level of hop aroma and a subtle, but noticeable level of apricot. Taste was very "busy" with quite alot going on simultaneously. First, comes the hop bitterness, which is pleasant. The, before the hops subside, comes the sweetness and tartness of the apricot. It almost tastes like what I would imagine eating grapefruit and apricot together would taste like. It's rather bizarre, indeed. Then during and after the finish, there is a sensation that almost reminds me of spraying cologne and getting some mist in my mouth. Strangely, inspite of my description, it isn't really unpleasant, just odd. I didn't find this beer offensive, but it certainly is novel to say the least. I'm still trying to decide exactly how I stand with it...

I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t believe I’ve ever actually eaten an apricot. This counts as a daily serving of fruit, right?
A: Pours a beautiful ambery/orange color. The head is quite fizzy, almost too much so, and it bubbles away quickly with a little bit clinging to the glass.
S: An overall fruity scent, with powerful apricots (duh) and some sugars. Rather earthy and subdued as far as “serious IPAs” go, but still quite nice.
T: Sweet and fruity throughout. The hops do kick in towards the end, along with the tiniest trace of bitterness.
M: Somewhat calm and smooth. Not overpoweringly heavy or dry. The beer looks quite carbonated, but I can’t feel it that much, which is a good thing, I think.
D: I could have a couple of these beers. They’re fruity, but they don’t leave a sicky-sweet fruit flavoring in the mouth afterwards.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

not a huge apricot fan but my only other experience comes from magic hat #9 so not a whole lot to go from. i do however love ipa's. looks really nice with great head retention. smells slightly sweet, definitly hop prescence, not overloaded but typicaly dogfish head. very well rounded taste, quite smooth. caramel notes were suprising to me. the apricot flavor wasn't intense but complemented the flavors well. not my favorite ipa but better than quite a few others. i'd pick up a sixer of this.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

The DFH ApriHop is overall a solid, drinkable beer. Solid hops presence, with a slight amount of malt behind. The apricot is present, though not dominant. As with many DFH products, the hops remain the dominant taste. However, it's fairly well-balanced, so it's something even a non-hophead would appreciate. The alcohol is definitely present, but covered up by the hops and apricot.

It drinks similar to a Magic Hat #9, though I find the ApriHop to be tastier. Much better mouthfeel and body. Despite the 7% ABV, it drinks easy, and you could definitely enjoy a few of these in a night.

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Poured dark orange color with little-to-no head.

S: Liked the smell. Very fruity(obviously) and sweet.

T: My first sip was strong and powerful, from the hops, I expect. From then on as it warmed the fruity apricot notes began to rise and merged with the hoppy notes quite nicely.

M: Given the strong hops, which it should. At first it seemed almost abrasive, but given some time to rise to a slightly warmer temperature it smoothed out and was quite enjoyable.

D: I could go through a few and be quite happy.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Picked up a 4 pack...

Poured from a 12 oz.bottle into my yankee standard pint glass.

A- A nice orange, glowing amber color. Some lacing, not much, and hardly any head.

S- Smelled of fruits (apricot) and malts- not much hop scent.

T- The malt presence was felt in my first sip. The apricot flavor was not as sweet as expected- perhaps the hops overpowered the flavor. But nonetheless, the apricot flavor was there and it was just the right amount.

M- Mouthfeel was creamy and smooth

D- At a decent abv of 7% the 4 pack could be finished in one sitting- highly recommended as a great alternative to those light fruit beers for the hopheads such as myself.

Not bad!

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

appearance - Nice amber copper color, small head, not much lace.

smell - Fruity aprocots, hops and malt.

taste - Has a hop taste to it, I was thinking it would be like a lambic type. You can taste, the apricots, fruit, hops and malt.

mouthfeel - Medium body, with carbination.

drinkability - Interesting beer, not bad.If you like hoppy bears and not to crazy about the fruit stuff. This is for you.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery