ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,610 | Reviews: 1,693
3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle from Tully’s

Appearance: a beautiful rich copper color, with two finger cream colored head, with good lacing.

Aroma: not surprisingly, apricots and hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel: a very smooth IPA. I don’t really taste the apricots, but there is definitely a bit of a fruity presence. It has aood mouthfeel and carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a very pleasant IPA with a twist. I really admire Dogfish Head for their innovation, even if I don’t always like the results. However, this one I can definitely see drinking again.

3.79/5  rDev -1%

12oz. bottle poured into special DFH pint glass on 12/2/07. Bottled on date: 3/2/07.

A - Hard pour yielded hazy, deep amber/orange, almost copper colored body with mammoth three-finger soapy off-white head and lots of bubbly particles. Small head stuck with me until the very end, and left some fantastic lacing all over the glass.

S - Obvious ripe apricot aroma with some fruity esters and light flowery hops. Very mild sweet malt in the nose reminiscent of caramel and light bread.

T - Sweet fruity apricot flavor up front with a lightly bitter finish that ends quite malty for an IPA, with hints of caramel and biscuits. Hops are predominantly citrus and floral.

M - Medium bodied with oily texture and lively carbonation. Mild bitter burn in the finish. Overall, very pleasant mouthfeel for an IPA.

D - The apricot flavor works quite well with the fruity/flowery hops and sweet, bready malts. Looked great in the glass. Nose was a little lacking, but still some nice, fruity aroma was present. Very tasty with a good balance of hops, malts and the apricots. I think beer drinkers who are typically not into IPAs can even appreciate this brew.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Presentation: 12oz bottle (bottled date of 3/14/07) in a Shaker pint

Poured thick, almost a little syrupy. Initially the nose is torn between soft hop bitterness and very faint, overly ripe, starting to go bad apricots. A distant and light caramel quality from the malt adds a touch of sweetness. I was hoping for more on the nose.

Head was a pencil's worth of thin, softly cracklin', winter white foam, the lightest cream hue imaginable, which faded rather quickly to a see-through sheen and a delicate edge ring which laced "dalmatian" ....in small spots. I'd be terribly disappointed if it wasn't apricot in hue - I'm not disappointed. Slightly hazy, its a warm, welcoming hue with a soft radiance with some sporadic bubbles rising slowly thru it.

Mmm...what the nose was lacking the initial taste makes up for. A very nice balanced between mild, yet semi-sharp hop bitterness and round, full, yet subdued apricot sweetness. Add in that caramelized, just barely burnt yet still sweet malt and its very balanced with a decent amount of structure and complexity. Furthering this is a cider-like crispness. All in all a very nice taste & pleasing mouth-feel that is most enjoyable. I can immediately see this being a great paring with some zesty fare like Thai or Pacific Rim, or chicken, pork, or fish prepared with some mild ooomph and citrus. Some dry cheddar would be nice as well.

The malts grow a little breadier with some biscuit/cracker aspects on the palate, it evens out, growing lighter & drier in feel yet much softer & cohesive in taste. It finishes clean, a wee bit bittersweet, leaving a faint hop bitterness and a thin painting of the mouth in apricot sweetness as the 2 "colors" it painted with.

While bummed on the nose, the taste and mouth-feel came thru. It was surprisingly complex and very well balanced with mouth-feel an important factor. I enjoyed this very much and would definitely recommend making a point of annually enjoying this release. I know I will.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

The beer poured with a nice, red brown color with a brownish-white head. It's smell is really strong: heavy citrus. It tastes like a strange combo of a fruit menagerie with tons of hops. This actually makes it very balanced: nothing so overpowering you want to turn it away. But at the same time it is not light either. Overall, this can be a hard beer to get into at first. But it definitely grows on you after the first few strange sips.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

This is a Dogfish Head seasonal beer (7 abv/ 55 IBU) that I had been reluctant to try simply because I despise apricots and because "fruit" beers were never my thing. But this brewer is amazing in that they always have a few surprises - and that they have an international reputation for experimentation - some work, some do not.

This does: topped off with a thick slabby foam that slooowly fades into a thin lacing Aprihop settles into a coppery elixir with a sweetish mouthfeel that seems to avoid being overwhelmed by the primary ingredient (did I mention that I "despise" apricots?).

This one, like most DFH beers, has a fine structured body, and while I would not drink too many of these, I could certainly recommend it to anyone seeking proof as to this brewer's ability.

Note: My tasting took place at the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Gaithersburg, which is not a brewery, so the freshness may have a little off - have been here many times and the issue never arose, anyway. A wonderful if not unique quaff.

4.09/5  rDev +6.8%

Dogfish Head Aprihop pours a good two fingers of foam over a clear
amber brew. Carbonation is slow but steady, and the nose is fresh
apricot and hop. The flavor is sweet apricots and malt up front with a nice
long bracing citrusy hop finish. The mouthfeel is round, crisp and juicy.
The aftertaste is a pleasantly of apricots- just as if you've been eating
fruit. This is not the hoppiest IPA I've had, but it is one that strikes a nice
balance between rich malt and sharp hops. A flaw I've seen in a lot of
American IPAs is an overemphasis on hops combined with a thin malt
profile- there's none of that hop juice thing here. I also like the fact that
it doesn't have that long grassy hop burn of an aftertaste- for me, a good
sign that this would be great with food as well. They've got the rep for a
reason. Awesome.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A fine red copper color with swirling dust-clouds of carbonation. A nice looking beer. White, fluffy head.

Smell is that of apricot, alcohol, and hops...in that order. Alcohol is medicinal in aroma and the apricot is blandly sweet, like a real apricot so no complaints there. Not as hoppy as one would expect a 'serious india pale ale' to have.

Tastes a lot like it smells except that the hops are an improvement. More hoppy and less alcohol, but only slightly. High point for me is that the apricots don't taste like there is any sugar added, regardless if there is or not which I am not sure of.

Mouthfel is pretty typical. Not watery, but a good refreshing taste with a pleasantly thin carbonation.

Not a bad ale. Lack of any type of noticeable malt is personaly hampering for this brew to me, but I also get that that's not the point of this beer. Decent brew worthy of respect.

3.39/5  rDev -11.5%

Serving type was a standard 12fl.oz bottle

Appearance: Orange w/ some red dashed in, but still pretty clear. Some slight head at the beginning but it fades quickly

Smell: Has a fruity smell, but the apricots are definitely the main focus during the smelling. You can get a touch of the other fruits in the background but they don't really come to the front

Taste: Very interesting taste. Malty toward the end but fruity at first taste. The apricot taste is there and overpowers most of the other flavours at first.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and sweet

Drinkability: A tasty beer that works well at the end of a hot summer day. Wouldn't really drink this during the winter or colder season...but good for a desert like beer. Basically I couldn't see myself having more than 1 a night

Poured a clear orange amber. Nice sized head, but little lacing

Smell is malty with citrus hops and apricot

Taste is sweet with apricot flavor backed up with some hop bitterness. Pretty well-balanced.

Very enjoyable and quite drinkable. I would not have guessed that this was 7%.

Interesting beer from DFH. IPA and apricots. I will be likely to grab an IPA before another aprihop, but given that this is seasonal I think it is a nice change of pace during the year. A beer you should definitely try.

3.87/5  rDev +1%

12 ounce bottle- had in fridge since mid April. Figured good time to quaff last one. Nice looking beer- orange/red amber and good clarity. No head to speak of and minimal lacing. The apricots really show up in the nose of the beer. Taste- the fruit is well blended with the IPA. Very balanced and quite tasty. I think the fruit is showing up more now than when I first purchased it. Nice level of hops, and not too much that could interfere with the apricot flavour. Malts are well done here as well. Drinkability suffers some due to it being 7%. Its a dangerous 7% beer- comes off more like a session ale. One of the better DFH offerings I've tried to date.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

I poured this into a standard pint glass.

A - A coppery orange color with no head and light lacing.

S - Some hops, but nothing really jumped out for me.

T - I definitely tasted an apricot or peach fruity flavor with a decent amount of hops. It was nicely balanced though. I had this once in the past in the bottle, and it definitely tastes much better poured into a glass.

M - Nothing exceptional, a good balance all around.

D - I could drink two or three of these. I think it's a little too hoppy for me to drink several, but I was actually surprised how good it was after remembering how it tasted straight from the bottle.

4.44/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, procured at the Walnut Liquorette, in Walnut, CA, update 4/8/09,

A: Deep, dark amber, with a thick, white head, almost orange in appearance.

S: Fragrant fruit salad, with grapefruit, mangoes, tangerines, tropical fruits, like papaya and guava, and of course, the requisite apricots.

T: Very interesting, very sweet, the apricots are there in form, its IPA character is also prevalent, with lots of grapefruit, really no pine in this one, with lots of tropical fruit character, including some pineapple; some faint malts as well, at the end. Big apricot notes which I really like and complemented the hops well. (+.5)

M: Smooth, sweet, resiny, brisk carbonation.

D: A smooth, tasty beer, would be an excellent summer quencher, even with the high ABV, another tasty and great beer from Dogfish Head.

3.6/5  rDev -6%

After reading about this on another site and remembering that I had seen it for sale I decided to pick this up.

I'm a huge IPA fan and the only other Apricot beer I had tried that I can remember was MacAuslan Apricot Wheat. This was very different than that.

Appearance was a very solid copper colour. I had a small lingering head that lasted about half way into my glass.

Smell was slightly hoppy and earthy with a hint of apricot...

Initial taste was very smooth but It was hard to taste the apricot. The sweetness and apricot taste of this beer started to come out after it had warmed up slightly. The apricot taste was slightly present at first but became more prevalent the further into the glass I got.

Mouthfeel was solid but not too heavy given it's higher alc content. I was still able to enjoy this as a refreshing drink.

Drinkability was kind of diminished I think due to the everstrengthening apricot taste. I would probably not go past 2 or 3 of these in a session before moving onto something different.

3.43/5  rDev -10.4%

Let me preface this review by stating that I felt this to be a very strange beer. It poured up very nicely, with a copper bronze coloured body and a big, thick, fluffly white head that lasted several minutes. Smell was rather perfumey with a moderate level of hop aroma and a subtle, but noticeable level of apricot. Taste was very "busy" with quite alot going on simultaneously. First, comes the hop bitterness, which is pleasant. The, before the hops subside, comes the sweetness and tartness of the apricot. It almost tastes like what I would imagine eating grapefruit and apricot together would taste like. It's rather bizarre, indeed. Then during and after the finish, there is a sensation that almost reminds me of spraying cologne and getting some mist in my mouth. Strangely, inspite of my description, it isn't really unpleasant, just odd. I didn't find this beer offensive, but it certainly is novel to say the least. I'm still trying to decide exactly how I stand with it...

I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t believe I’ve ever actually eaten an apricot. This counts as a daily serving of fruit, right?
A: Pours a beautiful ambery/orange color. The head is quite fizzy, almost too much so, and it bubbles away quickly with a little bit clinging to the glass.
S: An overall fruity scent, with powerful apricots (duh) and some sugars. Rather earthy and subdued as far as “serious IPAs” go, but still quite nice.
T: Sweet and fruity throughout. The hops do kick in towards the end, along with the tiniest trace of bitterness.
M: Somewhat calm and smooth. Not overpoweringly heavy or dry. The beer looks quite carbonated, but I can’t feel it that much, which is a good thing, I think.
D: I could have a couple of these beers. They’re fruity, but they don’t leave a sicky-sweet fruit flavoring in the mouth afterwards.

4.35/5  rDev +13.6%

not a huge apricot fan but my only other experience comes from magic hat #9 so not a whole lot to go from. i do however love ipa's. looks really nice with great head retention. smells slightly sweet, definitly hop prescence, not overloaded but typicaly dogfish head. very well rounded taste, quite smooth. caramel notes were suprising to me. the apricot flavor wasn't intense but complemented the flavors well. not my favorite ipa but better than quite a few others. i'd pick up a sixer of this.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

The DFH ApriHop is overall a solid, drinkable beer. Solid hops presence, with a slight amount of malt behind. The apricot is present, though not dominant. As with many DFH products, the hops remain the dominant taste. However, it's fairly well-balanced, so it's something even a non-hophead would appreciate. The alcohol is definitely present, but covered up by the hops and apricot.

It drinks similar to a Magic Hat #9, though I find the ApriHop to be tastier. Much better mouthfeel and body. Despite the 7% ABV, it drinks easy, and you could definitely enjoy a few of these in a night.

3.82/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Poured dark orange color with little-to-no head.

S: Liked the smell. Very fruity(obviously) and sweet.

T: My first sip was strong and powerful, from the hops, I expect. From then on as it warmed the fruity apricot notes began to rise and merged with the hoppy notes quite nicely.

M: Given the strong hops, which it should. At first it seemed almost abrasive, but given some time to rise to a slightly warmer temperature it smoothed out and was quite enjoyable.

D: I could go through a few and be quite happy.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Picked up a 4 pack...

Poured from a 12 oz.bottle into my yankee standard pint glass.

A- A nice orange, glowing amber color. Some lacing, not much, and hardly any head.

S- Smelled of fruits (apricot) and malts- not much hop scent.

T- The malt presence was felt in my first sip. The apricot flavor was not as sweet as expected- perhaps the hops overpowered the flavor. But nonetheless, the apricot flavor was there and it was just the right amount.

M- Mouthfeel was creamy and smooth

D- At a decent abv of 7% the 4 pack could be finished in one sitting- highly recommended as a great alternative to those light fruit beers for the hopheads such as myself.

Not bad!

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

appearance - Nice amber copper color, small head, not much lace.

smell - Fruity aprocots, hops and malt.

taste - Has a hop taste to it, I was thinking it would be like a lambic type. You can taste, the apricots, fruit, hops and malt.

mouthfeel - Medium body, with carbination.

drinkability - Interesting beer, not bad.If you like hoppy bears and not to crazy about the fruit stuff. This is for you.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Lexx for the pickup.

Pours a clear brown/red, thick white head, nice lacing, good retention, settles to a nice layer. Smell is sweet, very malty, caramel, lots of apricots, citrus and floral hops, some alcohol, nice integration with the fruit and hops. Taste is similar, very malty up front, bit of sour apricot, floral, some alcohol, caramel, tart finish, quite bitter. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. High bitterness doesn't work so well with the apricots for me, but still a nice drink.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

A- has a great orangy amber color with white head that didnt get to big, but stayed pretty well
S- has a nice big hop smell, slight malt, barely see the apricot
T- this is great has a nice big hop flavor that builds big, then gets really well balanced out by the apricot flavor that rolls in after the hops
M- has a good body with good carbonation that fits well
D- very high, the clean finish with the apricots lends it a high drinkability

3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

Pours an orangy amber color with a thinnish off-white head. Nose is hoppy, with some sweet malt thrown in. Slightly floral. Where is the apricot? Palate is less of an American style IPA base and more of an English style. Quite sweet up front, then yielding to a nice hop bitterness, Again, am I missing something? Where is the apricot? There is a slight fruitiness here, but I couldn't identify it as apricot if I had to. Mouthfeel is the strongest aspect of this beer - rich, smooth and pleasingly acidic. Very full mouthfeel for an IPA, regardless of what it's infused with. Let me say I really dig what the boys at Dogfish Head do - I love the "risky" beers. Sometimes it's a roaring success (90 & 120 Minute IPAs) and sometimes it's just ... well ... interesting. This one didn't quite live up to expectations for me, but it's a damn decent English style IPA none the less.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

A - Nice crisp ruby amber body with silky-threads of carbonation and little lacing

S - Fruity esters hit you in the face here, lots of pears, apple, apricot and even pineapples

M - Surprisingly creamy body surrounded by a tangy carbonation and slight alcohol burn

T - Apricots, spicy hops, faint caramel / toffee malt

D - This is one of my favorites; a delicious IPA with just enough apricot and fruit flavors to give you a nice spring refresher

4.02/5  rDev +5%

Eye: Clear tangerine orange in color with light yellow/orange highlights. Head retention and lacing are great, head looks creamy and is a tea stained white color. Looks great, makes up for what it lacks in aroma.

Nose: Very surprised with this one. Its hard to get any aroma off this brew. There is a faint apricot aroma but it is only just slightly detectable, and that's because I'm looking for it. Overall weak aroma, was expecting something much better from Dogfish Head....As it warms aromas become a bit more potent, but not by much, apricot becomes more apparent, but not so much so with the hops.

Tongue: Nice interesting flavor on this brew. Malt flavors are caramel like with subtle apricot fruit flavors. However, this is all behind a delicate hop flavor and bitterness. I'm led to believe hop flavors are more citrus than floral because they meld so well with the malt flavor of this brew. This is a finely crafted brew, the flavors meld together so well that it is hard to individually distinguish what flavor is coming from what element of the recipe....As it warms apricot flavors tend to come out a bit more.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Fairly light bodied in the mouth with just the right levels of carbonation. In my opinion the mouthfeel compliments the rest of the brew quite nicely. This is a brew I'll definitely buy again, a very unique IPA, nicely crafted and easy to drink.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery