ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

ApriHopApriHop

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -6.5%

I had this beer for the second time at the Pay N Take in Flagstaff. Split a four pack with my mom who is new to the beer world but willing to try lots of different beers. I thought maybe this would be a good intrduction to an IPA without overpowering her with hops.

nice hop bitterness. would be a solid IPA on its own, but then has the added flavor of the apricots which is nice and dry. if you have stayed away from fruit beers because they are too sweet, then this is a good one to try. I really like the fact that this fruit beer is very understated and you arent blown away by apricots.

BeerAmbassador, Jul 07, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +22.7%

A very drinkable but complex brew. Has a faint but noticeable nose of apricots and hops. Pours golden with a nice but not overwhelming head. Has an intriguing taste of Apricot fruit followed by bitter almond/apricot pit that immediately transitions into a medium hop bitterness. The transition from fruit to the melded bitterness of pit and hops is what makes this beer sublime.

Georgiabeer, Jul 05, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

I had debated whether to try this beer for some time, and when I found it in my local store this past weekend, I finally decided to pick up a 4 pack. Now I only wish that I had tried it sooner.

A - Dogfish Head's Aprihop poured a medium amber with only minor head development. Lacing is non-existent and carbonation appears fairly mild.

S - Very nice bouquet of hop bitterness with a very faint, fruity aroma. Slight citrus, but difficult to pinpoint any distinct apricot aroma.

T - Definite fruitiness on the first sip followed by a dry, bitter finish. Again, I was unable to pinpoint any distinct apricot flavor, but the fruity quality of this beer is muted. I actually expected a burst of apricot flavor, but I'm quite pleased that the result is not overpowering. Second and third quaffs reveal increased hop bitterness.

M - Although bitter from the hops, this IPA is very smooth, yet dry. Carbonation is typical of other IPAs.

D - Surpassing my expectations, this is a very drinkable brew.

For anyone who has thought about trying this, don't be put off by the idea of apricots in this beer. If you like a good IPA and don't mind a mild (make that very mild) fruitiness to your beer, then pick one up when you have a chance. By way of comparison, I'd love to try one of these on draft.

hammer09, Jul 04, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

This beer poured a dark gold color with a 1 finger head that left good lacing on the side of the glass. Aroma was flowery and hoppy with a faint whiff of peaches/apricots in the nose. Taste was a good blending of maltiness and spicy hops with the fruitiness of apricots. As the beer warmed the taste of apricot became more evident. For a medium bodied beer, the mouthfeel was pretty smooth. This is a nice beer for summertime drinking, not too extreme and not boring at the same time. Less of an IPA(as the label states)and more of a fruit beer. Could be a session beer except for the fairly high ABV.

rodrot, Jul 02, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +11%

Pours a clear amber with no head. Slight, sugary apricot aroma in the nose, but nothing as fruit forward as I expected. The nose gives off an expectation of creaminess. On the palate, hop bitterness crops up first, followed by fruity smoothness and a mild flavor. The finish is a bit apricoty and sticky, but overall this beer does not have a very big apricot component -- it's much less than the fruit component in some other DFH beers. I was surprised by this one -- it's less a fruit beer than a fruity IPA. Very flavorful, very smooth and creamy a la the DFH house style, and pretty well balanced.

geexploitation, Jun 29, 2006
3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

Bottled on 3/28/06

A: Copper with light amberish glow, no head, subtle carbonation throughout.

S: Faint, sugary malt nose with hint of fruit, not much hop intensity for what they label an "IPA"

T: Mild sugary malt taste, hint of fruit although no distinct apricot flavor, light floral hop notes but not much bitterness. Just a little weak all around.

MF: Adequate carbonation, slightly thin in body.

D: Very average beer, I don't think the brewer really accomplished what they were aiming for in this brew. I might try it again, but don't count on it...

bennetj17, Jun 28, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -19.1%

Clear copper with slow, steady carbonation rising up to a fluffy, peach-tinged off-white head. Somewhat weak aromas: apricot, of course, with some subdued floral/piney hops, and something sort of phenolic as well. The taste only barely hints at the presence of apricots. Overall, it's something of a clash of flavors: assertive pine-flavored hops are being smothered by some tart fruit flavors that, finally in the aftertaste, reveal themselves to be apricot. There's also a damn near cloying sweetness that seems to be coming from a heavy malt presence, not the fruit. The mouthfeel is likewise heavier than I'd prefer -- there doesn't seem to be much reason for this beer to be boozed up to 7% abv, but I'm not a brewer, so what do I know. Anyway, happy I tried it, but I think I'll pass next time.

orfeu, Jun 21, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Appearance- Pours a mix between hazy peach/amber and clear Wonderbread crust. Small amount of bubbles making their way to the surface as well as hardly any head after an aggressive pour.

Smell- You can tell there are whole leaf hops put into this brew. But lets forget an mix bewteen light and dark malt aroma mixed with IPA style hops and apricots.

Taste- Starts out with a whole leaf hop and fruity malt mix. I was surprised at how well these two flavors mixed with one another. The lightly tart but mostly pleasant sweetness of the apricot plays weel with the whole-leaf hops.

Mouthfeel- A good mix between fruity sweet and bitter.

scruffwhor, Jun 19, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +25.3%

A decent head on deep amber body.
The smell is of apricots, pine-like hops.
The tase is surprising. Don't go in expecting a fruit beer. This beer benefits from the slight apricot flavors and the goodness of a dogfish ipa. Taste of fruit, sweet malt, and hops. As with all other dogfish brews, this one is well balanced. A step above the 30-minute and better in my opion. If you like the 90 minute, you'll probably enjoy this one as well.

rtratzlaff, Jun 17, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours a crystal clear amber color with a bubbly head, good retention and nice lacing. Aroma is biscuity, hoppy, spicy and a hint of dried apricots. Flavor is like a fruit sweetened Fat Tire with the biscuit malt predominating. Hops provide a nice bitterness, though nothing like an IPA. Fruit is subdued, and finishes sweet. This is a very complex beer, enjoyable, easy to drink. Carbonation is appropriate, mouthfeel is smooth. I would like to see a bit more sweetness for a fruit beer, but otherwise it's quite nice.

dreadnatty08, Jun 16, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -11.7%

12oz bottle, bought as a single to try.

Appearance - Orangish/copper in color with an off white head that didn't stick around too long.

Smell - Hops and apricots, much like you would assume. I have had beers similar to this and always found them to have similar smells.

Taste - Apricots first and foremost followed by the hops. Really I would have liked to have had much more hops than apricot, but then again I guess it wouldn't be the same beer if I made it.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium in body.

Drinkability - It goes down easily but for me just too fruity too drink more than one.

Overall, not my style, but I knew that going into it, which is why I only bought one. As far as apricot beers are concerned, this one was the best I have had. To me these types of beers remind me of, you guessed it, Magic Hat #9, even though recently I was told by some dudes form Magic Hat that they do not use apricots in #9, or any fruit at all, hard to believe.

tattooedtolley, Jun 16, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -28.7%

Well, my first no-go for a DFH. This blend of apricots and IPA just didn’t match or balance worth a damn.

Right from the start, a nice well carbed and clear amber pour – but a meaky little white head that died like a candle in the wind.

A citrusy and of course, apricot aroma. Tastes of apricots, obviously. Smooth and a bit oily, just way to soda pop sweet for any real drinkablity. Seems to be too much of a gimic brew. I wouldn’t turn one down if offered for free, but I’m not buying anymore, either.

Vancer, Jun 14, 2006

Aprihop pours a copper color with a fluffy white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is very hoppy, I'm not sure I can pick up any apricot in the smell. Not exactly what I was expecting taste wise. The hops seem tamer than I expected. You can taste the apricot in the finish, but it does not overwhelm. Actually quite good, but I was expecting hoppier. This is a nicely balanced beer, which I find very appealing. Recommended.

Drew966, Jun 13, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +16.7%

A - this fruit beer pours a dark orange coppery color, with a half finger of a beige head with a few bubbles, very light carbonation

S - wow, how blended this is, the hops and apricots aromas have been melded very nicely, cant wait to try it, so sweet smelling

T - and the flavor is just as balanced, the bitterness of the hops and the sweetness of apricots, this is definitely the most well balanced fruit beer i have ever had, very impressed

M - smooth, the citrus flavors of the apricots make this very smooth, and a great bitterness, again very impressed

D - high, again the best fruit beer i have ever had, very drinkable and very easy down, a non-craft drinker would love this as well

sinstaineddemon, Jun 11, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

The Aprihop pours a copper color, very clear with about a 1/2 inch off-white head. A decent amount of lace remains on the glass after drinking it. The smell is mainly of apricots, with some bread, malt and hops in there too. A lot of flavor hit me at once with this beer. There was the initial apricot taste, then a sour/bitter grapefruit hoppy taste soon after, with a bit of sweetness after the bitterness. Very surprising, in a good way. The mouthfeel is creamy, light/medium and slightly oily. It goes down relatively easy, it's a well balanced beer. In my opinion it's another good beer from DFH. I'd recommend it to others, and I would drink it again.

bluejacket74, Jun 11, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz. served in a mug after a run.

Totally awesome post-run reward beer. Not overly bitter, but very well balanced and nice.

Orange color, with moderate white head and good lace.

Smell is initially the apricots with a nice malty presence and a hop hit that's not overwhelming, but still very sufficient.

Taste is similar. Bready and sweetly fruity, but with a nice hop presence to balance everything out and make this a really easy drinking beer for warm evenings. Not the most interesting beer, but very good and extremely well-balanced for the style.

Mouthfeel is nice, medium body, but well carbonated and crisp.

I could stand to have a few of these, but I don't think I could spend an evening with a few of these like I could with a hellesbock or pilsner.

veggiemafia, Jun 07, 2006
3.4/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

The bottle states; "A serious India Pale Ale brewed with real apricots."

I love DFH beers. I had also heard quite alot about this beer prior to tasting. Not sure if it was due to the hype or due another factor but I couldn't get into this beer.

Poured a deep orange color, I thought I could detect hints of red/pink in the glass. Minimal foam, very light lacing.

Smells like...roses...very little hop aroma (I was expecting more). Aroma of bread and fruit.

Tastes...fairly smooth. A small grapefruit bitterness hits the palate on first taste which is quickly overpowered by the sweet flavor (you have to really search your tastebuds for the apricot). It does tend to get better as it warms.

I could drink a few of these, but will be spending my $$$ on other DFH offerings (60,90,120-yum!) instead.

MeLikeBeer, Jun 07, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: Pours a bronzed deep orange color with a huge frothy head magnificent heavy sheets of frothy lacing and very active carbonation. A fantastic clarity through the body showcases extremely active carbonation bubbles rising furiously to feed the frothy cap the lasted the duration of the beer.
NOTES:
I had heard so much about this beer, and anticipated it for a long time. I had built an image in my mind of what I expected and the smell and taste were not what I was expecting. I think I was expecting something bigger. This was aver nice easy approachable beer but a bit muted in the smell and taste.
---

Smell: Yeast and bread aromas register immediately in the nose. Very subtle hints of fruit (apricot) and juice, lie beneath the multigrainy bread aroma.

Taste: Week malts and a lightly sour hop character hit the palate first. The flavor seems to me somewhat missing on the front end and only shows up in the middle as a bit of a sharp yeasty taste. Simply not very interesting until the finish when it all of the sudden has a surge of thick malts and a tart hop smack and the alcohol stings along with the hops leaving the aftertaste a bit astringent and lip smacking. The aftertaste almost seemed to be salty. ‘?’ odd. Not bad but certainly not balanced. There was barely an undertone of juicyness through the middle. If it hadn’t suggested it was apricot I wouldn’t have gotten that specific fruit until I had a flavorful burp (yummy;) which yelled ‘apricot’.
NOTES:
The people I have talked to who had this beer in previous years indicated that this beer was more fruity and more balanced in previous years. Whether this is a dicrepency of my personal tastes, this particular bottle or this years batch of ApriHop is unclear.

---
Mouthfeel: Very smooth, juicy malty body that seemed a bit oily at times and yet had great carbonation.

Drinkability: Other than being a bit boring and the strange aftertaste it left me with, this beer would be pretty easy drinking.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Jun 06, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -20.9%

A: Burnt orange amber in color with a big fluffy slightly tan head that dissipates slowly, but sticks around at about 3/8 of an inch. Impressive lacing.
S: Sweet baked apricots and a sort of orange and peach smell in there slightly. Most likely just complimentary apricot smells. Some hops, but not as much as I expected. A slightly musty smell too.
T: Overly sweet baked apricots and apricot syrup. It displayed flavors of a late harvest Reisling. If you've ever had a good Late Harvest Reisling (like Hogue) that isn't decanted enough, that's what this reminded me of. Some noted hops, but the overly sweet apricot flavors over take them.
MF: Creamy and medium light.
Overall: Kudos for effort, but for me this one falls really short. The baked apricot flavors are too over the top and over take the hop bitterness too much. A fruit IPA? I'd like a little more IPA and this would be good.

Illinick, Jun 04, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

a - burnt orange/rust color, small head that leaves a nice lace

s - wow, you really can smell the apricot, nice fruitiness to go along with the hops and bitterness, pretty sweet smelling

t - once again, the fruitiness of the apricot is dominant up front, but you soon after know this is a DFH IPA when the hoppy bitterness hits and gives you a nice lingering bitterness on the finish, the sweetness is a nice complement to the hops, the alcohol is really not that evident

m - pretty light feeling in the mouth, but there is some oiliness on the finish from the hops

d - very drinkable, but some palates might be pressed hard with the sweetness and bitterness, I, for one, could drink at least a couple pretty easily

I was a little skeptical of an apricot beer because of my past disappointments with fruit beers, but DFH has a winner here, the combination of sweetness from the apricots and the bitterness of the hops is very nicely balanced. This is a great beer for mixing things up every once in a while.

WeisGuy, Jun 03, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance: Reddish Gold.

Smell: Apricots, and lots of them.

Taste: A unique mix of piney hops and apricots throughout. As the beer gets warmer the hops seem to disappear and it's like biting into an apricot.

Mouthfeel: Typical for an IPA.

Drinkability: I could have a couple of these in a night, but would prefer them to stay a little more to the cool side.

I think this is one of the better fruit beers I've had. I think it's because it has more hop flavor than the others I've tried. I'd have it again, it's a pretty good beer.

Mdog, Jun 03, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a very thin head atop a radiant rust colored body. No lace anywhere.

I can definitely smell the apricot here, riding on top of a well-balanced hops/malt foundation.

At the beginning of the sip, an immediate succulence hits that, yeah, reminds of apricot, followed by a grapefruit sourness brought on by the hops. This beer seems to achieve a better balance and more agreeable flavor profile as it warms...the needed maltiness comes through much better. Apricot flavor lingers long after the sip, which is really nice.

A creamy mouthfeel helps bring this sweet, fruity, unsual IPA on home. It's not the kind of left-of-center I usually appreciate from DFH, but it's different enough to drink when the regular IPAs, no matter how good, start tasting the same.

Metalmonk, Jun 01, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours amber. One finger head,with very good retention,and lacing.Smell is of hops and fruit. Very nice. Body is fairly light,with some carbionation.Taste is unique. Smooth,with a hops start,and a fruit finish.Very intresting little bottle. Recommended!

riversider76, Jun 01, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured into a Schlafly pub pint glass, thick, sticky head atop solid, dead-on amber shoulders. Laces well.

Smells like a straight IPA. Hops first on a malt base.

Hmmm, tastes eerily like, let me think, DFH 90 minute! In fact, to confirm this I cracked open my last 90 min. to check, and it's darn near identical. A litte sweeter, a little less malt and acohol, but overall, very, very close.

Nicley balanced, strong start with mild finish. Drinkability good.

Weird. This is what I'd expect the 75 min. to taste like. Less malt and alcohol than the 90 min.; more than the 60 min. And the apricots? Couldn't tell they were ever there..

Bottom line: looking for a 90 Minute that you can have more than one of? This is your brew.

rabsten, May 26, 2006

The label described this as an IPA with apricots and this is exactly what it smelled and tasted like. Crisp, clean with nice apricot flavors not hidden or sublte but not over the top like a New Glarus. Long dry, almost oakey, aftertaste. As it warmed the flavors came together very well which speaks to the quality of this beer. Yum. Part of my XBIF box of goodies.

lou91, May 26, 2006