ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

ApriHopApriHop

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

Fell into the glass with a mighty reddish-amber color and a quickly thinning head that spreads itself over the glass, more lace than a Victorian whorehouse.

Mellow fruity aroma of apricots and lemons, mild mix of hops and - surprise - apricots, with a fleeting undercurrent of caramel maltiness and a tiny hint of oranges. Pretty good, but not anything really special.

Tantalizing crisp IPA mouthfeel though, I'm not usually one for ApricotPeach beers but this one was muted enough that I have to admit that despite the above-average taste it was still surprisingly drinkable.

PopeJonPaul, May 26, 2004
4.03/5  rDev +5.2%

Good looking amber brew with off white head that falls to 1/3 inch cap that lasts as long as the beer with great lacing all the way down the glass, looks wonderful. Smells mostly of citrus hops, some carmelized malt and a light fruit smell but overall aroma is subdued. Taste like a good IPA, starts with slight sweetness to start followed by grapefruit flavored hops with bitterness but not overly so good tasting. Didn't notice much in way of apricots in this brew at all wouldn't really classify as fruit beer more like a good IPA. Mouthfeel is medium well balanced and extremely drinkable brew. Will be buying more of these.

mntlover, May 24, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Dogfish head is my wife's favorite brewery. We were anxious to try this one!

Poured a beautiful amber color, with a nice tan head. This beer smelled sweet and hoppy- much like many of the other Dogfish beers. When I tasted this beer, I was anticipating a load of apricots to meet my tastebuds. Not the case. Sure, I could taste the fruit, but it wasn't overly fruity, just very well balanced with a nice, subtle, sweet flavor. The malts and the hops were well balanced. Not overly hoppy (thank God), yet not dull either- just a nice; even brew.

They could have left the "aprihop" off of the label, and I would have been fooled into thinking this was just another great Dogfish head IPA. Good stuff!

Side Note: The lacing of this beer is encredible. As I write this review, I've been done for 20 minutes, and my glass is still covered from top to bottom with a beautiful, sticky white lacing.

andyo, May 22, 2004

A slightly golden amber pour with a decent head that breaks down into a nice layer of clingy lace. Very slight haze and some active carbonation. Smell is characterized by a nice balance between hops and sweetness. If I didn't know there was apricot, I wouldn't have detected it by smell--pineapple perhaps, but not apricot. The taste, however, is distinctly hoppy--very appropriate for the style. Nevertheless, sweet malts and warmth are present as well, balancing the taste much like the smell. Not as astringent as many IPAs but also not unduly clingy--a pleasant softness in the mouthfeel before the warmth shows up. While I would be hard pressed to identify the apricot in a blind taste test, this is a good beer by any measure and an uncommonly good fruit beer.

BitteBier, May 19, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Clear amber in color with a thin sticky head.

S: Absolute beauty. The citrusy hop aromas match up nearly perfectly with an apricot smell that is powerful and fresh without being cloyingly sweet.

T: Hoppy flavors are bold and floral without being overly bitter. Fruity apricot flavor is just subdued enough to taste real, not like some artificially supersweet additive, and makes a superb match to the hop flavors.

M: Full bodied with a nice sharp feel on the tongue. Sweet but not a syrupy sweet that overwhelms the tastebuds. Carbonation is very nice, and the alcohol gives a very mellowing warm.

D&N: Is this a far-out fruit beer or an awesomely done freaky IPA? I don't know but this brewery did it just right. I don't know how Dogfish Head makes their hops taste the way they do, but I'm now a big fan of theirs. If you haven't tried this one yet, what are you waiting for?

JackTheRipper, May 16, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

12 oz bottle.
Pours a nice pale orange color with a fine slightly off-white head. Lacing is very nice on this brew.
Aromas are hops, apricot (which is a fine addition in my opinion), and a malty sweetness.
Flavor is outstanding. While this is not really the best example of an IPA, I would have to say that, as far as experimentation goes, this is such a great combination of flavors, I don't really care, I just call it "good." Very dry overall, while there is a lot of sweetness to this brew, it is very well balanced with the hop bitterness that is also very prevalent.
I found this one at my local bottle store and was a little skeptical at first. Nevertheless, I bit the bullet, and tried it. I was not disappointed in any way. This is a fine brew and will stock it as part of my regular selection in my fridge (for as long as I can find it anyways).

LuckySevens82, May 15, 2004
4.4/5  rDev +14.9%

This pours out with a clear amber body with a big fluffy one and a half finger head that dissipates to very nice all-covering blanket of foam. Nice sporadic spots and steaks of lace down the edges of the glass. The aroma is sweet with a somewhat earthy undertone, perhaps clay. Also a little grassy and faint hint of cloche. The taste has a slight bitterness from the Warrior hops and a great hops presence that makes this ale. The sweetness from the apricot there, but in the background, which in my opinion is a good thing. It also has a peculiar woodiness to it, almost like it was aged in wood, but it's not. This ends very dry on the tongue, bitter, and a little oily. Great IPA, very fresh and very crisp...

irishmoss, May 14, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

I ponied up and got a four pack of the Apri-Hop figuring that it would just make me mad to see Dogfish Head IPA be abused by addition of apricots; however, this beer is really a well-crafted piece of work. It pours slightly lighter in color than the other dogfish head ipa's and immediately smells both of hops and of apricots. There is a small, lightly colored head at the top of each glass but the taste is what sells me on the beer (as it should). IPA hop-style beer apparently just blends perfectly with the apricot taste, this beers is very light on the tounge and is exceptionally smooth (with a strong hop flavor). The apricot taste doesn't overpower the beer and it seems that a balance is found between the two tastes. I love this and will get some more before it goes out of season to keep around for the fall harvest season.

chugamugofsud, May 13, 2004
3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

On tap, AOBF 2004...

Medium amber, slightly cloudy look. Glistening, almost greasy, head -- sticks in big circles on a festival glass. Hops give a citrus tang to a fruity aroma. Confusing flavor in many ways -- without a lot of malt or a heavier mouthfeel to anchor the beer in a fixed place, it strays into astringency and then seems more about apple peel and grape skins. To me, this wasn't a bad beer but it was overly thin and without a backbone other than wandering bitters. Just didn't strike me as a very well-composed experiment.

ADR, May 11, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

appearance: copper colored with a light tan head that disipates quickly.

smell: tangy apricots and sweet alcohol dominate, caramel malts and faint piney hops are present too. it smells really good i just wish a little stronger.

taste: apricots and hops are the most noticable things. caramel balances out the hops. the alcohol is far more noticable than it seems like it should be, but this doesn't really detract. apple flavors are also present in small amounts. this takes on dry cider qualities as it warms.

mouthfeel: a full medium bodied beer with a good amount of carbonation.

one gets the feeling that this is what magic hat's # 9 should be. a very good beer, but i think it may be better suited as an autumn seasonal rather than spring/summer. it's not heavy but a bit on the heavy side for the season.

kmo1030, May 10, 2004
2.53/5  rDev -33.9%

If this site allowed such a short review, I could review ApriHop with a single sentence: I really wanted to like this beer and I really didn't.

It started off nicely enough with a very clear caramel-orange body and a clumpy, bone-colored head. Aroma was a faint mix of fruit and spice.

Taste is very fruity and sweet at first, light, and almost frothy, but then it faded quickly and left me. Serious apricot aftertaste turns slightly sour. Mouthfeel is slightly juicy and so very slick it is almost greasy.

The fruity taste does not last and leaves behind a find of flat, soda-pop sweetness. Why would anyone want to do this to an otherwise excellent IPA?

Darkale, May 10, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

In my mind, Dogfish Head beers are much like Bell's. They are all part of a family of beers that have batting averages like big sluggers in baseball. While they hit astronomically well some of the time, on a day to day basis you find yourself watching a slump. I am also under the impression that DFH brews simply do not travel well, a major quality control issue shared by my local favorite, Bell's. ApriHop is like one of those unknown Baseball players you used to see on baseball cards and not give a shit about, but they helped the team nonetheless.

ApriHop's appearance is very much like a juiced apricot: enchantingly ruby. There was high carbonation as reflected in my glass' huge head of 1" as well as a sticky lace.

For a beer in the dynasty of 60, 90, and 120 minute IPAs, the nose on ApriHop is quite damned bland. It is a amazingly meager merger of estery hop character and major apricotiness. Its truly hard to determine where one ends and the other begins.

The taste also suffers from a blandness. The fruitiness seems more like old fruit juice or dehyrated juice than a complement and syngeristic add to the hops. The beer's nose and taste are vacuumed into a weird pear-world.

While this beer is not one I am a huge fan of, its a sturdy clutch-hitter for the home team. Like those fruit-wheat beers you loathe but secretly have a heart for, ApriHop isn't designed for beer geeks per se, but the pure ability for this beer to enchance laypersons' appreciation for beer deserves a place in any batting order.

GreenWBush, May 09, 2004
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

I shared this beer with my Hungarian mother. She loves apricots. Her mother (my grandmother) made pastries filled with apricots and every time I eat them I think of them both.

This beer poured an apricot color. The lace on the side of the glass made this beautiful arching pattern. The aroma is subtle. It has a little apricot and a good amount of hops. The taste is more like a bitter IPA and the apricot is so subtle in its influence I thought it disappeared. This beer is bitter. Apricots are bitter and married with hops they put this beer almost into the "too much" category.
The mouthfeel is medium with a prickly carbonation which feels like it's injected, not naturally occuring. It's carbonated almost like a coke or pepsi. It's not that bubbly but it's noticably bubbly. I'd drink more but I'm looking for a good food to pair with it. The bitterness is nearly a distraction. This beer might taste better with a year of bottle age.

faernt, May 08, 2004
3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a hazed, bright orange body with a very minimal offwhite head that leaves sparse patchy lace on the glass.

Hops greet the nose first, with a powerful aroma of pine resin and citrus. The citrus is grapefruit, and the apricot aroma is remotely in the background.

Mouthfeel reveals prickly carbonation and a moderate hops bite.

The taste is aggressively hopped, as with other Dogfish Head IPAs, with a pine sap dominance and citrusy grapefruit just underneath. Apricots are barely picked up, regardless of the sampling temperature. Alcohol is hidden very well in this one.

I have a blossoming love affair with the occasionally rough hops used in Dogfish Head IPA's, and this ale is another fine example of their well constructed IPA's. For some reason, my bottle simply was lacking the apricot presence, in taste and aroma, that I was expecting.

merlin48, May 05, 2004
4.15/5  rDev +8.4%

Floral hop and apricot aroma. Orange hued cream colored head was thick and solid leaving a bit of scattered lace. Slightly hazy orangish amber colored beer. Body is on the light side of moderate. Smooth mouthfeel, a bit cream and bubbly, very nice. Lightly bitter IPA with a very mellow apricot flavor, a bit of light cereal malt, with a citrus punch at the end. A nice refreshing fruit beer.

HappyHourHero, May 04, 2004
3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

very nice brew.
poored out a true amber color with a decent fizzy head that dwindled quite fast.
The smell scared me a bit because the first scent was that of the 60 minute(i havent reviewed it yet but will). I got a hint of the apricot but it seemed i got mostly grassy hops, not pleasing to me. then i tasted it, wow. great balance, the apricots hit with a nice sticky sweetness and it goes down with a well balanced hoppiness that I coud enjoy, the mouthfeel is a bit sticky but also a littel fizzy at the same time. I found it to be a very refreshing brew and it was just what i was looking for on the 80 degree day that I drank it on...

kegerator, May 04, 2004
3.3/5  rDev -13.8%

A somewhat cloudy apricot/amber with a thin white head, this brew has a nicely balanced apricot/hop aroma -- just as the name implies. Unfortunately, as well as these two blend in the aroma, they don't compliment each other as nicely in the taste. It's not that its bad, its just that if I wanted the hop flavor, there are about a hundred brews I'd pick over this -- and if its apricots I'm looking for, give me a Pyramid Apricot Ale. The mouth feel was full and syrupy -- nice for a fruit beer -- but I gave it a lower drinkablity because, why have another?

jtfest, May 04, 2004
2.73/5  rDev -28.7%

Tried this because, uh, my wife wanted to know what it was like... yeah....

Attractive labeling and cap like most Dogfish stuff, and poured like a beer should. The body is a gorgeous amber, a moderate amount of small bubbles accumulated for a head, and the body is active with carbonation - possibly due to the cleanliness of my glasses, but I give the points to the beer.

The aroma is stiff with malt, surprising from an beer selling with hops and fruit. The fruit and hops are noticeable, but not as I would expect. Lacking a style standard, it is really the beer that has to leave the impression. Which brings me to the taste.

There is too much dried apricot flavor to this beer. The maltiness is pretty good, and would make for a rich IPA, or a great ESB, but it definitely takes over any flavor that should exist with the word "hop" in the name.

As such, its somewhat syrupy, which doesn't lead to drinking much. I split the 12oz with my wife (really), and that was an appropriate serving. Despite the beauty of the pour, it didn't stack up to what I'd hoped.

freed, May 03, 2004

I'm generally not a huge fan of beers with fruit, so I was a little apprehensive going in. The smell was just like the name - intensely fantastic piney hops & loads of apricot. OK I'll admit it, the flavor was excellent...loads of citrus & hops balanced beautifully with sweet apricot which unfortunately got a touch syrupy at times. Never had anything like this before, but would definitely drink it again (and again).

garthwaite, May 02, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +20.1%

I had the privelage of having this beer on tap at Dogfish Head recently. When the beer first arrived it had a very nice presentation, light copper color with a wonderful head. It was great beer, a light citrisy flavor, the hops and the apricots complimented each other wonderfully. Nice fruity aroma, very refreshing aftertaste and left you wanting more. It makes me almost want to drive 4 hours to have a few more on tap.

StrangerBrew, Apr 26, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

DogFish Head Aprihop: Reddish amber color, beautiful thick and creamy head, very dense. Leaves very nice rings down the side of the glass. Mild sweet aroma, equal parts apricots and hops, nicely balanced. The taste is terrific, the apricot flavor is present, but nowhere near overwhelming, as I had feared, in fact the taste is really exceptional. Nicely hopped, nicely malt base, and the fruit flavors adding an accent, rather than providing the dominant flavor of this brew. Light mouthfeel. Easily the best fruit beer I’ve ever had.

jackndan, Apr 25, 2004
3.33/5  rDev -13.1%

a deep copper/amber color with very little head and no lacing. the aroma is nice with hints of apricots and hops. The aroma also has a nice underlying malty smell. The taste is sweet with a lot of apricot flavor that takes over from the start. it does finish with a slightly bitter hop profile. the aftertaste left in the mouth has a good bitterness to it. Lots of contrast troughout the drink from sweet to bitter. Overall and ok beer to be injoyed during the summer months. Can't drink to many cause of the sweetness.

Elemental, Apr 25, 2004
3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

A rich copper color. A small unsustained head: I poured for maximum head affect and there wasn't much there, and what was there didn't last long. Smells nice and fruity, which is to be expected. Taste was alright but not impressive: starts out sweet and ends up bitter on the tongue. Nothing spectacular here. Worth maybe picking up a single bottle. I am stuck with the remaining three bottles of the 4 pack, which I am not really looking forward to drinking. To many other fine beers out there.

BadBadger, Apr 24, 2004
3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle, into a pint glass. The color was copper, with a bubbly white head. The smell was dominated by the apricots, with just a bit of the hops. The taste started off with the apricot sweetness and then the nice 60 Min-ish hops took over in the taste. Mouthfeel was average. As for drinkability, this wasn't bad, but may have been a bit muddled for sustained drinkability.

Well, I've always been a fan of DFH and their mad genius, and this is an example. Though I couldn't drink this one all day, for one beer or two this was an interesting experiment, to mix fruit beer and IPA, and I'm sure I'll have this one again.

beergeek279, Apr 24, 2004
4.83/5  rDev +26.1%

I loved it! DFH never ceases to amaze, do they? To start off, it is a golden amber colour, clear with a white fluffy head. Smells maybe a bit apricoty, a bit citrusy, I guess from the hops, but mostly malty actually. I had a few bottles of it and I still am not getting the apricots, and there's not any extreme hoppiness that would warrant a name with HOP in it. Besides all that though, I truly enjoyed this beer and if I could I'd make it my 'regular.' Mouthfeel is very smooth and just the right thickness. Not very thick but I couldn't call it thin. Basically it's not extreme in any way,. but it is so well blended that I think I'll be buying bottles for as long as supplies last!

erica, Apr 22, 2004