ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

ApriHopApriHop

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

This is a pretty average beer. An average amber color, less than average head, and a pretty non-descript scent of maybe some hops and yeasty malt. Tastes like your standard run of the mill American pale ale to me. I can barely note the apircots, and what I can detect isn't really that appealing. This reminds me of Burton Baton in a way... very different beers, but they both share this odd taste, sort of like carborad? that I don't like at all. Don't know what it is, but it's in both beers. Don't bother with this one unless you are destined to try every Dogfish beer known to man...

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Clear copper fused strawberry color with a slight white ehad that was nothing more than slick on top within seconds of pour. The nose was dominated by the apricot as well as other fruity smells i.e. passion fruit, strawberry. The taste was more of the apricot with just a hint of the hops that the purported IPA possesed. There was a nice finish that was clean, fruity and refreshing. Very decent fruit beer, but nothing more. Something of a hopped up version of #9.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Lovely amber with a slight reddish hue, topped with a dense half-inch taupe head. Head subsides fairly quickly with no lacing. Aroma of sweetness, more of apricot than malt, dominating over a faint floral hop and yeast. Slight carbonation, medium-full body tastes of sweet apricots and butter malt. Hops emerge only when going down as mostly piney notes, riding with apricot. Alcohol is masked well.

Apricot dominates just a bit too much, making it more of a fruit beer and not enough of an IPA. An interesting offering, though the least compelling of Dogfish Head's, as adventurous as it is. Good thing it's just a 4-pack, since I don't think I could enjoy more than that in a season.

Presentation: Poured a dark amber color, and a pretty thick head blossomed, showing off a moderate amount of carbonation. Retention was very good. The scent had a distinct hop aroma, as well as slight estery notes. It was rather pleasant.

Tasting: A slight hop bite came across on the front of the tongue, followed by the taste of apricot on the middle and back. Both flavors were mixed together in the aftertaste, making this enjoyable to drink. I'm detecting more of a hop character in the bottle than I did when I drank this on tap. It's a medium-bodied beer with decent carbonation and a smooth mouthfeel, tempered with bitterness. I would certainly have another one of these, but the higher alcohol content might deter some.

Overall, this is a solid beer. I would recommend this as a fine example of the Fruit / Vegetable Beer style, though it slightly crosses over into IPA territory.

When I drink this, I think about some of the remarks about beer reviews being heavily slanted towards slightly better than avg that I have seen recently. Guess what fools? Its cuz we are always seeking beers that are better than avg and sometimes they dont stack up but we dont want to trash them because we know its a decent beer.

My numerical scores should speak for themselves.Whatever adjectival words the Bros choose to describe the number is totally cool with me. But if its a 5, it means exceptional not perfect and the world would be ruined if there could only be one exceptional beer.

So I have to say that I think DFH has been expanding a tad too quickly before I go on..Very amber with cherry hints in the color. No head, carbonation, or lace but its not needed here.

This is tough to review cuz it tastes like a nice hoppy IPA and yet I cant really taste any apricot other than sugarry texture on the mouthfeel. It does have a fabulous smell which I am now giving a 5 . It is so delicously malty in an ice cream sundae type of way. Malted milkshake--next to the banana split--one of the finest deserts ever created.

At 7%, it is way too strong to be considered a Summer seasonal which any apricot beer would have to be. Seems like it would be a great one for the peanut butter combo that is so good with hoppy IPAs

4.28/5  rDev +11.7%

Who would've ever thought apricots and an IPA could work together? But they do! The Aprihop pours a clear orange-copper body beneath a frothy head of off-white foam that holds quite well and leaves thin craggy rings about the glass. The nose is lightly malty with a delicate touch of pine and some unclear fruitiness (guess that's from the apricots, huh?). It's slightly elevated carbonation bristles the tongue at first, but it becomes much more airy as it warms and its dextrinous medium body becomes clear. The flavor is a bit sweeter than the maltiness found in the nose might suggest, and it actually does have an apricot flavor to it! It's not as bitter as might be expected, but it's absolutely balanced; and the hop flavors blend in quite well with their leafy, woody, citrusy (? - and that might just be from the apricots as well), and mildly pine-like flavors. It finishes dry with a kick of bitterness and some residual dried-apricot flavor that sticks in the mouth. It's surprisingly good; well-balanced; not overly fruity; very enjoyable; and drinkable to boot (except that it's 7%abv.)!

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at Max's, poured as a slightly large taster into a small white wine glass.
Poured the color of apricots with a light white head. Didn't get much head on the pour, so I couldn't discern much about the retention, but it did have some excellent lacing throughout.
Aroma was faint, but there was a definite tartness from the apricots mixing with citrus hops.

Mmm, you have tart apricot, caramel malt and a smattering of citrusy and slightly bitter hops in a wonderful complex mix of drink here. Body was light to medium and finished with a clean mix of flavors.

Drinkable, definitely. You have a delicate blended IPA on your hands here that would go excellently with fish, or served to some non beer geek ladies who usually go for Chardonney.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours a clear copper with a creamy white head that goes to a thin film that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is bready malts, apricots, and some peppery hops.

The flavor is sweet and sugary apricots (almost pixie stick like) initially and a little pepper and caramel malt leading to a decent bitter hoppiness. I really like the balance between the fruits and the hops. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth.

Overall, an intriguing IPA. I like it, but it's probably a bit too expensive for me to get too often ($8 a 4 pack).

3.35/5  rDev -12.5%

The label reads "An India Pale Ale brewed with real apricots"... knowing Dogfish Head's IPA's (60, 90 and 120 minute), I had a feeling I was in for more hops than your usual fruit-beer...

Sure enough, I could smell those hops when I poured it... those citrus & pine notes coming through, as well as a sweet fruit aroma from the apricots. The hue of the brew was an orangey-amber, crystal clear, with a thin off-white head.

Now for the taste... oh yeah, there's hops in there! Those grapefruit and peppery flavors come on strong, and there's a real bitter finish... nothing very sweet in this fruit beer. You can taste the mild apricot through all those hops, but it's not what dominates here. Actually, initially it's a bit too bitter and hoppy for my taste.

That said, the more I drink, the more the flavors balance out. The apricot flavor becomes more pronounced, and helps to mellow out those bitter hops. In fact, the grapefruit notes from the hops blend nicely with the apricot.

All in all, an interesting brew that comes on a bit too strong, but gets more drinkable as you go on. Definitely a different twist on a fruit beer, and it has grown on me. But between the assertive hops and the 7% ABV, it's not one I'd keep drinking all night long.

Clear, coppery-gold in hue with a bronzy influence that creates an attractive looking beer. The off-white head at its apex was one finger in height. Head retention was poor; it faded to a skimpy, soapy cap. Disappointing. The subsequent lacing was very sporadic, webby but unimpressive. On the whole, the appearance is slightly above average.

The nose is plenty hoppy. Throughout the bouquet are pungent, piney-marijuana qualities with a very hot finish. There is fruitiness and it comes across candied (oranges and apricots mainly). At the back is a hint or two of malt, it is lightly toasty and kind of caramely but it is uneventful. The potency is moderate but the nose is plenty heavy handed. I do like what I smell even though there isn’t much complexity here. Inviting nevertheless.

The palate is much more mild in taste then the nose indicated. However it is also much more developed then the nose indicated. This makes me sad on one hand, but it works out wonderfully when everything is compiled. First of all, where is the 7% abv? I sure couldn’t taste it. I’m impressed. Where is the hoppiness? Oh, it is present and accounted for. Oddly, there isn’t much straight bitterness but there is enough to balance the malt and the apricots (which I can taste cleanly). The hops offer flavors of pine, citrus, and marijuana. Malty? Yes, but it is largely clean and American. This was expected. The flavors offered were sweetness in the form of caramel. The yeast supplies some fruity notes (hints of cherry and oranges). All in all, this IPA (of sorts) is very well balanced. Tasty.

Medium/medium-full, the carbonation was low but natural. The mouthfeel is relaxing without being lazy. Impressive.

This beer is plenty drinkable and I really do like it but there isn’t much that stands out about it. Odd, I know. The aftertaste is long and I could really see this beer going great with cheddar cheese or some kind of fruit-butter on toast. Damn that sounds great! This beer was very tasty. I really liked it. Thank you shippos! This 12-ounce bottle was a great addition to the Secret Bunny Exchange!

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Popping out of a 12 oz'er Aprihop pours a dark amber topped off with a foamy thick tan bubbly headcap full of zesty carbonation.

Husky aroma of grains and quintessential honey suckle derived from the apricot content. Sweet and flowery.

First swigs: Woody minerally grainy ale. Hops and malts are quite balanced. Frity flavors are subdued yet detectable. Oatmeal cereal grainyness with an almost kiss of pumpkin.

Light to medium feel with cushy carbonation. Becomes sticky due to hops addition.

More of a treat than a drinker.

Last swigs: Tastes a bit like a dehydrated apricot. Not really like an IPA at all. Just ale and a curious beer for the not so curious. 7 % ABV is hidden, kinda like apricot hard candy with a husky grain.

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Another treat from Dogfish Head. Out of a 12 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Hazy orange / yellow color. Frothy white head. Lace sticking to the glass as I drink. Slow gurgling bubbles up the glass from the bottom.

Smell: Oily citrus and hops. A sharp tinge of apricot, though very nice in its sweet and sour qualities. I wish it was more complex, but it's actually pretty nice, especially once it warms close to cellar temperature.

Taste: I personally think the apricots add a lot in a positive way. Rather than being pervasive or too slight, they're an addition that has a great twist on DFH's IPA style, as this is very different from the 60 minute for sure. Not as hoppy as I expected, as the malt and the apricots keep it pretty balanced. Some subtle grapefruit and citrus. Aftertaste is pretty awesome too, almost as if I just had a piece of candy that just had the right amount of sugar in it to keep the taste there, but not overbearing.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium to light carbonation. Lots of bubbles. Very nice.

Drinkability: As it comes in 4-packs, I could make this a session. Would like to see how it pairs with different foods for sure. 7% is a lot, but it doesn't taste like it's tha strong at all, which is another plus, as the alcohol is extremely hidden.

I'll definitely be buying this again. A great IPA experiment, and I would certainly like to see more, as I'm a huge fan of the 60 and 90 minute. They know their IPAs.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

On-tap @ Anam Cara in Brookline, MA.

Light orange color with a nice, fairly-carbonated head. The smell is rather subtle. Slight fruity aroma and slightly hoppy, but not a whole lot going on. The taste was more of the same. It is well-balanced, but I was expecting more fruit and more hops. Easy drinking and easy on the palate. I think the fact that I had this on-tap may have dulled it down a bit. I'd love to try it out of a bottle someday.

3.78/5  rDev -1.3%

1" of yellowy-tan, bumpy, dense head. Clear, copper-amber beer. Faint, sweet apricots in the nose. A little tangy. Nice. Light fruit up front. Slick, malty-caramel and quite full through the middle. Roasty, bitter and quite strong at last. It seems like a nice, darkish IPA with just a hint of fruit. I was expecting more fruit, but this is quite tasty. And I should be the last one to complain that there's not enough fruit in my beer, after complaining too often that there's too much.

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

04/22/05- Received via trade with Connecticuitpoet and Steinlifter.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with an drink by August 2005 notch on the label. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Orange-rust colored pour with a creamy 3/4 inch head and above average lacing.

Smell- Very sweet and fruity scent. Can't tell if it's apricot or not, but it is some kind of fruit. A bit of alcohol scent as well. Nice hops output in the aroma.

Taste- Bitter hop taste with a fruit flavor hint in the background. Apricot is very subdued, but you can detect it. Nice malty background as well. Dare I say a small nutty flavor in the aftertaste (walnut?)

Mouthfeel- Higher than avergae carbonation. Sugary sweet mouthfeel.

Drinkability- This one hit the spot on the hottest day of the yeart so far. My computer room is roasting and this does the trick to keep the sweat at bay. Good deal. Yummy brew.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Some idiot had picked out all the good stuff from the trail mix with this one on 4/28/2005. 16-oz. pour in a pint glass at the Publick House.

Pretty loose and light thin head, with some sand piles in spots, Rust brown hue, verging closer to red, with 100% clarity and some nice bubbling. More malt, and hop for that matter, than fruit on nose, along with a nice clover note. Fruit is light on mouth, and therefore welcoming, with some sprinkling of lemon zest and some gentle, green hop. Almost light bodied.

Considering I do not normally gravitate to this style, I found this to be quite good and it could easily be a go-to choice for me.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

A nice, clear off-orange color that glows in a pint glass. A head that retains wonderfully. Smells of fresh cut lawn, citrus and a mango/apricot crossing. There's a whiff of grain as well. Interesting and unique.

An even malty sweetness that has a touch of biscuity goodness layered into it envelopes a crisp, fresh hop flavor. Smooth and somewhat buttery. A slick, apricot syrup finish.

I like this and I'm enjoying it, but I'm not sure that I'd want to drink it for an extended period of time. It's a good taster and would do well with food; perhaps some hot n' spicy southern BBQ.

Clear orange pour with a head that stuck around for quite a while. Smell is floral hops and apricot with a bit of grass as well. Taste is more hop than apricot, but the apricot fruitness and sweetness is there at the base. There's also a bit of a faint vanilla flavor that's very intriguing. I'm a big fan of Magic Hat #9 as an occasional brew, but this one is a lot better. It's less cloyingly sweet, and the apricot takes a back seat to the hop flavor, which is a good thing. It also has more of a medium-bodied mouthfeel compared to the #9, which I feel is a bit thin. Overally, quite a nice spring beer.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Label lists 7% abv, and has a date (year) code to be notched on the side, but it’s not notched!
Aroma: Hops are floral and full, under there is a stewed fruit smell that I’ll call apricot just to be agreeable; Very mild smell, fairly sweet overall.
Appearance: Very clear glass of amber orange showing full carbonation streams that feed a creamy microscopic bubbled head that has started to lace before my first sip. Very bright and inviting.
Flavor: The stewed candied fruit taste is up front easing into a nice full malt middle that fades out to a slightly spicy hop finish. Very round taste profile with interesting stops along the way. The hops seem, not light but overpowered in the total beer which has me scratching my head for the IPA part. The taste is closer in to the 90 min IPA which I find sweeter and less hoppy than the 60 min. No trace of alcohol and the total package is very well blended and complete, if a bit sweet overall.
Mouthfeel: Heavy body calls for a good chew. Texture is very creamy and smooth as it coats my mouth with about 7 layers of malty goodness.
Overall Impression: Dangerous in its drinkability, this candied fruit just asking for a full chug. While the taste says “more, MORE” the heavy mouthfeel slows you down. The alcohol is felt about mid-glass but never tasted. Somehow I’m seeing this as more of a Christmas beer. Maybe it is and we just got it late. As fruit beers go, it is worth the price of admission. Recommended!
Thanks to Pegasus for the bottle.

3.05/5  rDev -20.4%

Appearence: Poured a crystal clear amber colloer with a large creamy off-white head.

Smell: The smell is an unimpressive mix of malts a slight fruitiness. The malts smell cheap and the fruits smell fake.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Tastes better than it smells. The apricots really aren't that noticable until about 10 seconds after the swallow. IPA? No. There are hardly any hops. The malts are the focus, and aren't that incredibly intruiging. It lacks carbonation as well. The alcohol is well hidden. The mouthfeel is rich and creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: Not bad, but not great. It's not an IPA, not really an apricot beer. But not bad. It's very creamy, but the malt and apricot aftertaste really starts to get old, which hurts the drinkability.

4.88/5  rDev +27.4%

I really loved this take on an IPA. It's about perfect balance. It's hoppier than an average IPA, not as hoppy as 90 minute IPA, but the (sweetness?) of the apricots balances the harshness of the hops and makes for a crisp but very smooth glass of beer and the fullest flavor and highest ABV of anything I can honestly say was "gone in 60 seconds". It went down like a light pisner or lager on a 90 degree day but felt like a full bodied beer in my mouth. I really can't imagine changing a thing.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

Very clear copper body. Head is big, tan and has great retention and lace. Low carbonation.
Nose is very fragrant, grass, hops, floral and musty scents with a hint of something sweet which must be the apricots.
Well balanced brew. Again floral and grassy flavors along with a long lasting hoppy/apricot sweet aftertaste which ends in a good bitter hop feel.
Slick and sharp on the palate. This is a crisp and refreshing brew just in time for spring. Watch the ABV though.

-Oelergud

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Apricot jam pale orange, with massive, massive meringue that took forever to settle down. The cling on the glass was so strong it almost took me an ice scraper to get it off.

Smell: A bouquet of flowers, freshly squeezed lemon juice and a cloying, fruity smell that may or may not be apricots.

Taste: Carbonation is quite vivacious, middle is fruity, but a sour, tart kind of fruity. Then blamo, that Dogfish head hop salvo finishes it off, but not before giving your tastebuds a good beating. Finishing off my 4 pack was no difficulty at all.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Nice woody-amber color, very clear. Small white head. Aroma is fairly perfumy, a mix of apricot and grassy hops, with a touch of toasty malt. Taste has plenty of hop bitterness, along with a lot of fruitiness that, to me, is not completely identifiable as apricot. Solid malt background, somewhat bread-like. Finishes clean and dry, slightly bitter but not overwhelmingly so. Body is moderate to light, carbonation avg.

A good beer. I would have liked more apricot flavor.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

I was a bit apprehensive about this one, but picked up a four-pack because the SO requested it. Surprisingly really good. Poured amber in color, without any head and only slight carbonation. The apricots are fairly strong in the aroma. So are the hops. The flavor is very much apricot. Very Magic Hat #9, but better overall. I think that is because the hop kick ad the subsequent bitterness is that much nicer. Very crisp finish.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery