ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros

Clear, coppery-gold in hue with a bronzy influence that creates an attractive looking beer. The off-white head at its apex was one finger in height. Head retention was poor; it faded to a skimpy, soapy cap. Disappointing. The subsequent lacing was very sporadic, webby but unimpressive. On the whole, the appearance is slightly above average.

The nose is plenty hoppy. Throughout the bouquet are pungent, piney-marijuana qualities with a very hot finish. There is fruitiness and it comes across candied (oranges and apricots mainly). At the back is a hint or two of malt, it is lightly toasty and kind of caramely but it is uneventful. The potency is moderate but the nose is plenty heavy handed. I do like what I smell even though there isn’t much complexity here. Inviting nevertheless.

The palate is much more mild in taste then the nose indicated. However it is also much more developed then the nose indicated. This makes me sad on one hand, but it works out wonderfully when everything is compiled. First of all, where is the 7% abv? I sure couldn’t taste it. I’m impressed. Where is the hoppiness? Oh, it is present and accounted for. Oddly, there isn’t much straight bitterness but there is enough to balance the malt and the apricots (which I can taste cleanly). The hops offer flavors of pine, citrus, and marijuana. Malty? Yes, but it is largely clean and American. This was expected. The flavors offered were sweetness in the form of caramel. The yeast supplies some fruity notes (hints of cherry and oranges). All in all, this IPA (of sorts) is very well balanced. Tasty.

Medium/medium-full, the carbonation was low but natural. The mouthfeel is relaxing without being lazy. Impressive.

This beer is plenty drinkable and I really do like it but there isn’t much that stands out about it. Odd, I know. The aftertaste is long and I could really see this beer going great with cheddar cheese or some kind of fruit-butter on toast. Damn that sounds great! This beer was very tasty. I really liked it. Thank you shippos! This 12-ounce bottle was a great addition to the Secret Bunny Exchange!

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

Popping out of a 12 oz'er Aprihop pours a dark amber topped off with a foamy thick tan bubbly headcap full of zesty carbonation.

Husky aroma of grains and quintessential honey suckle derived from the apricot content. Sweet and flowery.

First swigs: Woody minerally grainy ale. Hops and malts are quite balanced. Frity flavors are subdued yet detectable. Oatmeal cereal grainyness with an almost kiss of pumpkin.

Light to medium feel with cushy carbonation. Becomes sticky due to hops addition.

More of a treat than a drinker.

Last swigs: Tastes a bit like a dehydrated apricot. Not really like an IPA at all. Just ale and a curious beer for the not so curious. 7 % ABV is hidden, kinda like apricot hard candy with a husky grain.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Another treat from Dogfish Head. Out of a 12 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Hazy orange / yellow color. Frothy white head. Lace sticking to the glass as I drink. Slow gurgling bubbles up the glass from the bottom.

Smell: Oily citrus and hops. A sharp tinge of apricot, though very nice in its sweet and sour qualities. I wish it was more complex, but it's actually pretty nice, especially once it warms close to cellar temperature.

Taste: I personally think the apricots add a lot in a positive way. Rather than being pervasive or too slight, they're an addition that has a great twist on DFH's IPA style, as this is very different from the 60 minute for sure. Not as hoppy as I expected, as the malt and the apricots keep it pretty balanced. Some subtle grapefruit and citrus. Aftertaste is pretty awesome too, almost as if I just had a piece of candy that just had the right amount of sugar in it to keep the taste there, but not overbearing.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, medium to light carbonation. Lots of bubbles. Very nice.

Drinkability: As it comes in 4-packs, I could make this a session. Would like to see how it pairs with different foods for sure. 7% is a lot, but it doesn't taste like it's tha strong at all, which is another plus, as the alcohol is extremely hidden.

I'll definitely be buying this again. A great IPA experiment, and I would certainly like to see more, as I'm a huge fan of the 60 and 90 minute. They know their IPAs.

3.65/5  rDev -4.7%

On-tap @ Anam Cara in Brookline, MA.

Light orange color with a nice, fairly-carbonated head. The smell is rather subtle. Slight fruity aroma and slightly hoppy, but not a whole lot going on. The taste was more of the same. It is well-balanced, but I was expecting more fruit and more hops. Easy drinking and easy on the palate. I think the fact that I had this on-tap may have dulled it down a bit. I'd love to try it out of a bottle someday.

3.8/5  rDev -0.8%

1" of yellowy-tan, bumpy, dense head. Clear, copper-amber beer. Faint, sweet apricots in the nose. A little tangy. Nice. Light fruit up front. Slick, malty-caramel and quite full through the middle. Roasty, bitter and quite strong at last. It seems like a nice, darkish IPA with just a hint of fruit. I was expecting more fruit, but this is quite tasty. And I should be the last one to complain that there's not enough fruit in my beer, after complaining too often that there's too much.

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

04/22/05- Received via trade with Connecticuitpoet and Steinlifter.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with an drink by August 2005 notch on the label. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Orange-rust colored pour with a creamy 3/4 inch head and above average lacing.

Smell- Very sweet and fruity scent. Can't tell if it's apricot or not, but it is some kind of fruit. A bit of alcohol scent as well. Nice hops output in the aroma.

Taste- Bitter hop taste with a fruit flavor hint in the background. Apricot is very subdued, but you can detect it. Nice malty background as well. Dare I say a small nutty flavor in the aftertaste (walnut?)

Mouthfeel- Higher than avergae carbonation. Sugary sweet mouthfeel.

Drinkability- This one hit the spot on the hottest day of the yeart so far. My computer room is roasting and this does the trick to keep the sweat at bay. Good deal. Yummy brew.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Some idiot had picked out all the good stuff from the trail mix with this one on 4/28/2005. 16-oz. pour in a pint glass at the Publick House.

Pretty loose and light thin head, with some sand piles in spots, Rust brown hue, verging closer to red, with 100% clarity and some nice bubbling. More malt, and hop for that matter, than fruit on nose, along with a nice clover note. Fruit is light on mouth, and therefore welcoming, with some sprinkling of lemon zest and some gentle, green hop. Almost light bodied.

Considering I do not normally gravitate to this style, I found this to be quite good and it could easily be a go-to choice for me.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

A nice, clear off-orange color that glows in a pint glass. A head that retains wonderfully. Smells of fresh cut lawn, citrus and a mango/apricot crossing. There's a whiff of grain as well. Interesting and unique.

An even malty sweetness that has a touch of biscuity goodness layered into it envelopes a crisp, fresh hop flavor. Smooth and somewhat buttery. A slick, apricot syrup finish.

I like this and I'm enjoying it, but I'm not sure that I'd want to drink it for an extended period of time. It's a good taster and would do well with food; perhaps some hot n' spicy southern BBQ.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

Clear orange pour with a head that stuck around for quite a while. Smell is floral hops and apricot with a bit of grass as well. Taste is more hop than apricot, but the apricot fruitness and sweetness is there at the base. There's also a bit of a faint vanilla flavor that's very intriguing. I'm a big fan of Magic Hat #9 as an occasional brew, but this one is a lot better. It's less cloyingly sweet, and the apricot takes a back seat to the hop flavor, which is a good thing. It also has more of a medium-bodied mouthfeel compared to the #9, which I feel is a bit thin. Overally, quite a nice spring beer.

3.79/5  rDev -1%

Label lists 7% abv, and has a date (year) code to be notched on the side, but it’s not notched!
Aroma: Hops are floral and full, under there is a stewed fruit smell that I’ll call apricot just to be agreeable; Very mild smell, fairly sweet overall.
Appearance: Very clear glass of amber orange showing full carbonation streams that feed a creamy microscopic bubbled head that has started to lace before my first sip. Very bright and inviting.
Flavor: The stewed candied fruit taste is up front easing into a nice full malt middle that fades out to a slightly spicy hop finish. Very round taste profile with interesting stops along the way. The hops seem, not light but overpowered in the total beer which has me scratching my head for the IPA part. The taste is closer in to the 90 min IPA which I find sweeter and less hoppy than the 60 min. No trace of alcohol and the total package is very well blended and complete, if a bit sweet overall.
Mouthfeel: Heavy body calls for a good chew. Texture is very creamy and smooth as it coats my mouth with about 7 layers of malty goodness.
Overall Impression: Dangerous in its drinkability, this candied fruit just asking for a full chug. While the taste says “more, MORE” the heavy mouthfeel slows you down. The alcohol is felt about mid-glass but never tasted. Somehow I’m seeing this as more of a Christmas beer. Maybe it is and we just got it late. As fruit beers go, it is worth the price of admission. Recommended!
Thanks to Pegasus for the bottle.

2.99/5  rDev -21.9%

Appearence: Poured a crystal clear amber colloer with a large creamy off-white head.

Smell: The smell is an unimpressive mix of malts a slight fruitiness. The malts smell cheap and the fruits smell fake.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Tastes better than it smells. The apricots really aren't that noticable until about 10 seconds after the swallow. IPA? No. There are hardly any hops. The malts are the focus, and aren't that incredibly intruiging. It lacks carbonation as well. The alcohol is well hidden. The mouthfeel is rich and creamy.

Drinkability and Overall: Not bad, but not great. It's not an IPA, not really an apricot beer. But not bad. It's very creamy, but the malt and apricot aftertaste really starts to get old, which hurts the drinkability.

4.85/5  rDev +26.6%

I really loved this take on an IPA. It's about perfect balance. It's hoppier than an average IPA, not as hoppy as 90 minute IPA, but the (sweetness?) of the apricots balances the harshness of the hops and makes for a crisp but very smooth glass of beer and the fullest flavor and highest ABV of anything I can honestly say was "gone in 60 seconds". It went down like a light pisner or lager on a 90 degree day but felt like a full bodied beer in my mouth. I really can't imagine changing a thing.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

Very clear copper body. Head is big, tan and has great retention and lace. Low carbonation.
Nose is very fragrant, grass, hops, floral and musty scents with a hint of something sweet which must be the apricots.
Well balanced brew. Again floral and grassy flavors along with a long lasting hoppy/apricot sweet aftertaste which ends in a good bitter hop feel.
Slick and sharp on the palate. This is a crisp and refreshing brew just in time for spring. Watch the ABV though.

-Oelergud

4.45/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Apricot jam pale orange, with massive, massive meringue that took forever to settle down. The cling on the glass was so strong it almost took me an ice scraper to get it off.

Smell: A bouquet of flowers, freshly squeezed lemon juice and a cloying, fruity smell that may or may not be apricots.

Taste: Carbonation is quite vivacious, middle is fruity, but a sour, tart kind of fruity. Then blamo, that Dogfish head hop salvo finishes it off, but not before giving your tastebuds a good beating. Finishing off my 4 pack was no difficulty at all.

3.87/5  rDev +1%

Nice woody-amber color, very clear. Small white head. Aroma is fairly perfumy, a mix of apricot and grassy hops, with a touch of toasty malt. Taste has plenty of hop bitterness, along with a lot of fruitiness that, to me, is not completely identifiable as apricot. Solid malt background, somewhat bread-like. Finishes clean and dry, slightly bitter but not overwhelmingly so. Body is moderate to light, carbonation avg.

A good beer. I would have liked more apricot flavor.

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

I was a bit apprehensive about this one, but picked up a four-pack because the SO requested it. Surprisingly really good. Poured amber in color, without any head and only slight carbonation. The apricots are fairly strong in the aroma. So are the hops. The flavor is very much apricot. Very Magic Hat #9, but better overall. I think that is because the hop kick ad the subsequent bitterness is that much nicer. Very crisp finish.

3.52/5  rDev -8.1%

Sampled at the Southside Beer Expo, Frankfort, IL. Hmmm, yes. Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy! Apricot taste is evident, indeed, but it's not overpowering as in other fruit beers. Here, the fruit just supports the citrusy IPA hop chracter. The DFH take on a fruit beer.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a deep orange with a nice big fluffy head that leaves a nice amount of lace behind,aromas of sweet apricot and zesty,piney hop very nice mingling of aromas.Apricot notes hit the taste buds up front but a dry,piney hop presence makes it self known pretty quickly but once again stays well balanced with apricot flavor.I really like the concept and flavors of this beer and its dangerously drinkable at 7% I will get again for sure sometime.

4.16/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got a 4 Pack of this for seven bucks. Has some quote on it from Playboy maganize about "incredible smoothness" Let's see if the dudes at Playboy got it right.

Appearance: Dark orange, almost an amber red. After I poured it, I got a head that was a bit smaller than one finger. After the head subsided, there was a thin layer of froth on the top, I love seeing that. Beer seems to be a bit more carbonated than average. Beer gets bonus points for having some awesome foam cling-age as I drank the beer.

Smell: Whaaa? The smell threw me for a loop, here's why: no apricots! I fully expected to get a whiff of fresh apricots. Instead it smells like an American IPA. A variety of fresh hops, delicate chamomille tea, floral accents

Taste: Once again, I was suprised. Expected alot of apricot flavors, instead, it was was subtle...which is to my liking. I should have figured that it would be subtle, since the last DFH flavored beer was subtle (punkin ale). I have to say, this is a fabulous IPA. I'm suprised this webiste has it labeled it as a fruit/vegetable beer, because it tastes nothing like a fruit beer. This beer is strongly hopped, with some understated fruit flavors...namely apricots.

Mouthfeel. Nice and frothy, which is appropriate for a beer of 7% alcohol. Hop flavor is beautifully bitter and lingers for a long time. Alcohol is prevelant, which I also love.

Drinkability: I love IPA's and this one is top notch. I could drink a million of these. So top notch and satisfying.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz. bottle

This one just showed up recently in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and I'll try anything that Dogfish puts out.

I was not sure what to expect out of an apricot brewed IPA, I like IPAs and I like apricots, so the logical thing is that I stand to like this beer. The pour is dark for an IPA, with a medium white head. Significant lacing all the way through the beer. Smell was mostly hops, it wasn't until I let it warm up quite a bit before the fruit showed up. Taste was a similar story, above average IPA when cool, then an additional element of fruit as I got to room temp. This is pleasing though, I don't really like fruit beers to be over the top just a hint here and there.

Good show from the fellas at Dogfish.

4.27/5  rDev +11.5%

Copper color with a light head on it that drops fast.
Smells like an IPA mostly. I think I was expecting more fruit; surprisingly I had to look for the apricot aroma.
Taste - Kind of like drinking an IPA while eating a PB&J sandwich. Good bitter, very smooth though. Not that this is a big abv or anything but really no taste of alcohol at all, you feel it after a couple though.
Mouth is medium to heavy with a little bit of a harshness that I quite like. Finishes sweet.
Strange... somehow this balances out well.

3.18/5  rDev -17%

First one I've seen this season- no year is punched on the label... I'm guessing it's an '05??

Served in a Samuel Smith nonic.

Appearance- Pours a glowing orange with incredible clarity. Head dissipates to a foam ring shortly afterwards.

Smell- hmmmm.... Apricot? Hops? Almost cloying nose. Overwhelming after over-analysis. I'll keep my head out of my glass for now.

Taste/Mouthfeel/Drinkability- A bit rough in the mouth, the carbonation is sensational. Not my favorite fruit beer; I would choose Abita's Purple Haze or Magic Hat #9 for a more drinkable example of this style, however I commend DFH for a good beer nonetheless. I am looking forward to sampling this on-tap at Brewtopia in NY on April 16.

4.12/5  rDev +7.6%

Appearance - Light amber, clear. What was once a good head subsides, but there is some beer lace.

Smell - Floral hops tend to dominate the smell at first, then the apricot smell comes through. Awesome.

Taste - Is it an IPA, or a fruit beer? Well, it's bitter as hell, which is nice. FLoral hoppiness comes though well in the taste. Apricots take a second seat. The beer does not taste as sweet as it smells. This beer is a little confusing to the palate, or perhaps challenging is a better word.

Mouthfeel - Thick, a step up from the body of a standard IPA. Also a little sticky.

Drinkability - Easier to consume than most double IPAs, but a touch rougher than a standard IPA. While it tastes great, it is filling. Still, I think I would gladly finish off more than one of these. Quite a treat. Share it with friends!

Comments - As others have observed, this beer is sort of like the 90 Minute IPA on low volume. I think the apicot flavor could be ramped up a little without making the beer too similar to a malternative.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a crystal clear light orange-amber with an inch-thick foamy head. Aroma is strange -- familiar cheesy hops DFH uses everywhere with a touch of fruity astringency. Not much sweetness, as one would expect with a fruit blend.

Taste is lightly malted with bitter hops, a lighter version of their 90 Minute. Same faint and indistinct fruity astringency as in the aroma, just barely an apricot flavor, maybe even a sawdust flavor. Apricot elements take more of a role towards the end of the glass, stays dry through the end. A little reserved and passive for an IPA, even a fruit-doctored one.

Mouthfeel is medium, crisp and clean. If you imagine the familiar grapefruity taste of a traditional IPA as turning to the right, this IPA turns just to the left. An interesting curiosity but I'm ambivalent about the hybridized style.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%

I've had this on-tap, but failed to review it in that serving style. So, when the four packs hit the shelves, I picked one up. What a great spring beer. This pours a clear ruddy orange, small head that falls quickly. Smell is mellow fruity and hoppy. The taste starts out as a rather weak IPA because the fruit immediately follows. They blend together so that neither overpowers, the definition of balance. This is an excellent fruit beer. The mouthfeel was medium with the fruitiness adding some depth. Finish is hoppy and crisp. At 7% ABV this is so simple to drink that I recommend it for home consumption only. It is sessionable. I can see me having this with a stack of grilled beef and pineapple kabobs. Hey, the wife likes it too. The best thing for IPA lovers out there is to treat this for the fruit beer that it is, otherwise you'll be somewhat disappointed. Another winner from DFH.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery