ApriHop - Dogfish Head Brewery

ApriHopApriHop

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Availability: Spring

Aprihop is an American IPA brewed with Pilsner and Crystal malts. It's massively hopped -- in the continuous fashion, of course! -- and the flavor is complemented by the addition of apricots.

After fermentation, the beer is dry hopped with irresponsible amounts of Amarillo hops. The beer has a hoppy aroma, with the apricots playing a supporting role.

The flavor is rich with late hop flavors, and its bitterness is tempered by just the right amount of malt sweetness and fruity undertones from the apricots.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of ApriHop Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev -7.8%

Sampled at the Southside Beer Expo, Frankfort, IL. Hmmm, yes. Hoppy, hoppy, hoppy! Apricot taste is evident, indeed, but it's not overpowering as in other fruit beers. Here, the fruit just supports the citrusy IPA hop chracter. The DFH take on a fruit beer.

4.13/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a deep orange with a nice big fluffy head that leaves a nice amount of lace behind,aromas of sweet apricot and zesty,piney hop very nice mingling of aromas.Apricot notes hit the taste buds up front but a dry,piney hop presence makes it self known pretty quickly but once again stays well balanced with apricot flavor.I really like the concept and flavors of this beer and its dangerously drinkable at 7% I will get again for sure sometime.

4.2/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got a 4 Pack of this for seven bucks. Has some quote on it from Playboy maganize about "incredible smoothness" Let's see if the dudes at Playboy got it right.

Appearance: Dark orange, almost an amber red. After I poured it, I got a head that was a bit smaller than one finger. After the head subsided, there was a thin layer of froth on the top, I love seeing that. Beer seems to be a bit more carbonated than average. Beer gets bonus points for having some awesome foam cling-age as I drank the beer.

Smell: Whaaa? The smell threw me for a loop, here's why: no apricots! I fully expected to get a whiff of fresh apricots. Instead it smells like an American IPA. A variety of fresh hops, delicate chamomille tea, floral accents

Taste: Once again, I was suprised. Expected alot of apricot flavors, instead, it was was subtle...which is to my liking. I should have figured that it would be subtle, since the last DFH flavored beer was subtle (punkin ale). I have to say, this is a fabulous IPA. I'm suprised this webiste has it labeled it as a fruit/vegetable beer, because it tastes nothing like a fruit beer. This beer is strongly hopped, with some understated fruit flavors...namely apricots.

Mouthfeel. Nice and frothy, which is appropriate for a beer of 7% alcohol. Hop flavor is beautifully bitter and lingers for a long time. Alcohol is prevelant, which I also love.

Drinkability: I love IPA's and this one is top notch. I could drink a million of these. So top notch and satisfying.

3.68/5  rDev -3.9%

12 oz. bottle

This one just showed up recently in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and I'll try anything that Dogfish puts out.

I was not sure what to expect out of an apricot brewed IPA, I like IPAs and I like apricots, so the logical thing is that I stand to like this beer. The pour is dark for an IPA, with a medium white head. Significant lacing all the way through the beer. Smell was mostly hops, it wasn't until I let it warm up quite a bit before the fruit showed up. Taste was a similar story, above average IPA when cool, then an additional element of fruit as I got to room temp. This is pleasing though, I don't really like fruit beers to be over the top just a hint here and there.

Good show from the fellas at Dogfish.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

Copper color with a light head on it that drops fast.
Smells like an IPA mostly. I think I was expecting more fruit; surprisingly I had to look for the apricot aroma.
Taste - Kind of like drinking an IPA while eating a PB&J sandwich. Good bitter, very smooth though. Not that this is a big abv or anything but really no taste of alcohol at all, you feel it after a couple though.
Mouth is medium to heavy with a little bit of a harshness that I quite like. Finishes sweet.
Strange... somehow this balances out well.

3.15/5  rDev -17.8%

First one I've seen this season- no year is punched on the label... I'm guessing it's an '05??

Served in a Samuel Smith nonic.

Appearance- Pours a glowing orange with incredible clarity. Head dissipates to a foam ring shortly afterwards.

Smell- hmmmm.... Apricot? Hops? Almost cloying nose. Overwhelming after over-analysis. I'll keep my head out of my glass for now.

Taste/Mouthfeel/Drinkability- A bit rough in the mouth, the carbonation is sensational. Not my favorite fruit beer; I would choose Abita's Purple Haze or Magic Hat #9 for a more drinkable example of this style, however I commend DFH for a good beer nonetheless. I am looking forward to sampling this on-tap at Brewtopia in NY on April 16.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Appearance - Light amber, clear. What was once a good head subsides, but there is some beer lace.

Smell - Floral hops tend to dominate the smell at first, then the apricot smell comes through. Awesome.

Taste - Is it an IPA, or a fruit beer? Well, it's bitter as hell, which is nice. FLoral hoppiness comes though well in the taste. Apricots take a second seat. The beer does not taste as sweet as it smells. This beer is a little confusing to the palate, or perhaps challenging is a better word.

Mouthfeel - Thick, a step up from the body of a standard IPA. Also a little sticky.

Drinkability - Easier to consume than most double IPAs, but a touch rougher than a standard IPA. While it tastes great, it is filling. Still, I think I would gladly finish off more than one of these. Quite a treat. Share it with friends!

Comments - As others have observed, this beer is sort of like the 90 Minute IPA on low volume. I think the apicot flavor could be ramped up a little without making the beer too similar to a malternative.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a crystal clear light orange-amber with an inch-thick foamy head. Aroma is strange -- familiar cheesy hops DFH uses everywhere with a touch of fruity astringency. Not much sweetness, as one would expect with a fruit blend.

Taste is lightly malted with bitter hops, a lighter version of their 90 Minute. Same faint and indistinct fruity astringency as in the aroma, just barely an apricot flavor, maybe even a sawdust flavor. Apricot elements take more of a role towards the end of the glass, stays dry through the end. A little reserved and passive for an IPA, even a fruit-doctored one.

Mouthfeel is medium, crisp and clean. If you imagine the familiar grapefruity taste of a traditional IPA as turning to the right, this IPA turns just to the left. An interesting curiosity but I'm ambivalent about the hybridized style.

4.22/5  rDev +10.2%

I've had this on-tap, but failed to review it in that serving style. So, when the four packs hit the shelves, I picked one up. What a great spring beer. This pours a clear ruddy orange, small head that falls quickly. Smell is mellow fruity and hoppy. The taste starts out as a rather weak IPA because the fruit immediately follows. They blend together so that neither overpowers, the definition of balance. This is an excellent fruit beer. The mouthfeel was medium with the fruitiness adding some depth. Finish is hoppy and crisp. At 7% ABV this is so simple to drink that I recommend it for home consumption only. It is sessionable. I can see me having this with a stack of grilled beef and pineapple kabobs. Hey, the wife likes it too. The best thing for IPA lovers out there is to treat this for the fruit beer that it is, otherwise you'll be somewhat disappointed. Another winner from DFH.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Nutty brown color, with nice foaming head. Fruity, citrus hop aroma. Quick bitterness of hops which fades away into a pleasant floral ness and leaves a lingering grassy to pine taste. The hops are balanced out perfectly with a heavy malt mouthfeel.
12oz brown bottle-2004 btl date, tasted 9/14/04

4.55/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Peach colored with a full light tan/beige head, lots of suspended particles, and very active carbonation that leaves lots of lace and thick lace rings. Very nice balanced fruit and hop aromas and flavors; amazing considering the very strange mix but it melds well. Starts on the fruity side with a nice hoppy finish coming in the middle thru the end. Medium-full (leans full) bodied and smooth but just a tad too bitter on the finish for my tastes.

Label States: "An IPA Brewed with Real Apricots"

Packaged in: '04 (notched on side - 03 embossed on bottom)
Tasted: 03/10/05

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

on the dark end for an IPA. thin head that never really goes away, though it doesn't leave much lacing
not a strong nose, but full of malt sweetness and piney hop, which actually seemed a little understated

i wouldn't have picked out apricots at first, but they made themselves apparent with time. definitely fruity, though not excessively, with a nice layer of simple maltiness. best fruit beer i've ever tasted
mouthfeel seemed about par for the course

reasonable session IPA and a pretty good brew. am i likely to buy a sixer of it over the other DFH IPAs? probably not, but i did like being able to buy a single

4.33/5  rDev +13.1%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle. Spot to notch the year produced, but it isn't there.

Appearance: Pours a nice deep amber color with an average sized off-white head. Decent retention.

Smell: Aroma is malty, with hints of hops showing through. They are mixed in with some pine aroma and a subtle apricot flavor.

Taste: Very nicely balanced with a good malt base, a healty dose of hops, and some apricot thrown in. Starts malty and slightly sweet, with citrus and pine hop flavors in the middle. Fades to a dry apricot flavor as it finishes.

Overall Impression: This is one of the best fruit beers I have tried - the apricot actually compliments the beer instead of taking it over. A nice twist on an IPA.

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%

Its good to revisit this beer. Thanks to Chris for this one. The beer pours a nice golden color with a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose is really nice, with a sweet apircot that is rather prevalent, but also with a nice citrusy hop in the background. Woo, this smells nice. The flavor is upfront with the grapefruity hop, with the sweetness from the apircot dancing in the background. Nice sweet and hoppy combination. I like it. The feel is moderate, with a light to moderate carbonation. Overall, this beer is very refreshing and crisp. I'm really looking forward to seeing this on tap around here in early april.

4.1/5  rDev +7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, burnt orange color. The head is ridiculously big & frothy..almost too much...even with a gentle pour. It doesn't dissapate either. Retention is incredible..probably has the longest staying power of any beer I've sampled to date. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass as well.. Impressive from a so-called fruit beer.

Smell: Light fruity aroma of apricot (believe it or not). Citrus hops in the background blend well with the tart apricot smell.

Taste: Apricots are noticed much more in the taste. Not very hoppy for an IPA..pretty mild in the hops department, actually. Buttery diacetyl is apparent as well. Not bitter at all, especially for a supposed IPA, but it's pretty damn tasty. The apricot/orange taste is a nice combination with the light hoppy taste, and there is a malt sweetness that backs it all up as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a really smooth, slick mouthfeel. Carbonation is big and bubbly at first but dies fairly soon and leaves it lacking a bit.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, especially for a fruit beer...even though this is kind of in limbo between a fruit beer and an IPA. Would make a good conversion beer for people on the lunatic fringe.. Several non-craft-beer drinkers that have sampled this have really liked it. A little mild for me, but a solid beer from DFH nonetheless.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

The pour was a standard IPA medium copper red with a one finger frothy head that was very slow to dissapate.

The smell was very strong in hops, just behind the hops was sweet malt and apricots. Hidden in the back of the nose was a noticable citrus attribute.

The drink started with a quick hit of malt sweetness followed by an overpowering hop bite. The finish was slight hops mixed with fruity apricot sweetness. Lingering behind the apricots was a strange smokey metallic aftertaste that held on for 20 - 30 seconds.

All and all a very good, but strange offering from DFH. I still enjoy their creativity and uniqueness. This was well worth a try and I'd love to have it again.

3.9/5  rDev +1.8%

12oz. bottle – packed in 5-2004
Simple label typical of DFH

This beer poured an orange/golden color that was crystal clear and well carbonated even after the time sitting around in the bottle since May. The head that was produced was off white in color, not very dense, fairly thin after a decent foam after the pour, after settling down it fell to just a simple ring on the edges, but it created a lace that was fairly sheety in nature. The aromas that came from the glass were of piney/fruity hops (not over-powering) some light malt tones, fresh herbs, and some light fruits all throughout (apples and apricots). The flavors were dominated with a nice smooth and creamy hop flavor (citrus and pine), not overpowering, but always present, caramels and malts were present in the beginning and in the middle along with herb and spice tones along with mild apricot flavors, as the swallow was nearing the end there was mostly pine trees, fruit and alcohol esters. There was a cocoa powder that hit the back of the throat as it slid down, but giving way to hops as an aftertaste. The body was light to medium, but the aftertaste was kind of thick. Smooth and creamy and seemed to hold up well over the months. A decent IPA, not overly hopped but it may have mellowed over time. My opinion it needs a tad more apricots in the aroma and taste, but not much or it will become overpowering. I did notice that afterwards I did burp hops – which are a good sign. I liked it.

12oz bottle

Pours an even copper tone with a light white head and leaves a thick lacing down my glass. Aromatics are sweet barley malt, caramel, tons of hops and some fruity apricot esters. Flavor carries mild bitterness, sweet caramel, citrus hop flavors and an even apricot coating from start to finish. Medium bodied palate with a light syrupy finish. Experimental for the style and quite good, shame that I cannot have access to more of this in my area.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

poured a copper color with nice foamy head. aroma hops . citrus like not so sweet oranges hints of apricots. flavor weak grapefruit, green apples and after letting it warm up in my mouth the apricot came out a nice bitterness bite to it. not to bad will drink again

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured up a huge rocky head. The beer is a bit more carbonated that most and that only plays to its advantage. The color was a golden orange, almost like a bright new penny. Aroma wise, I have to admit, I had a hard time picking up the apricot. That is where I was expecting it the most. I got definite fruity notes and hoppy notes with some pine and of course citrus but it kind of all blended together. If I hadn't known about the apricot I don't think I would have found it. That said, the beer was great, very well made and a nice blend of hop bitterness, flavor and malt. Alcohol strength was not evident so it could sneak up on you. As far as the apricot goes, when I had a Magic Hat #9 several years ago I didn't pick up on the apricot immediately either - I thought it was more like a strange hop. This was similar, thus this may be the most appropriately named beer I've ever had. Recommended.

2.83/5  rDev -26.1%

Poured a nice golden color with decent, lasting head. Smell is fruity. Taste - where's the apricot? I expected a much stronger flavor to this beer; in fact I couldn't taste the apricot at all. Just a bland, generic-tasting IPA. Dogfish Head has many offerings that are much better than this.

3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle (Obtained from my Knoxville SS December 2004): Poured an amber color ale with a huge thick bubbly head with better then average retention. Aroma is quite hoppy with some subtle traces of sweetness. Taste is very similar to an IPA but with added sweetness which really balanced the whole thing out. I wonder if my bottle was aged a bit since the apricot taste was quite subtle as opposed to some description of past rating. Anyway, I still very much enjoyed this beer and very much appreciate all the beers that I’m discovering from this fine brewery.

4.43/5  rDev +15.7%

On draft at Delaneys (New haven, CT), leftover from a DFH dinner. Pours hazy straw yellow with dense white head. Magnificent juicy apricot aromas mingled with soft malts, and a distinctly clean floral/pine hop note. Tastes MUCH better than its bottled counterpart. Fuzzy apricot, bready malt, and a crisp, piney, well-hopped finish. Perfect mouthfeel, too easy to drink. Someone said it reminded them of Magic Hat#9. I bitchslapped him back into the corner where he belonged!!!

4.53/5  rDev +18.3%

Great beer, best "Apricot" flavored beer I have ever had. Blow #9 away and shames Pryamid. With its amberish body and light white head it looks good. It smells of juiced-up hops, but the taste is truly great. It blends the malt into the big hops that give it a citrus tart taste underlined with the tang of Apricots. Unlike some fruit tainted beers this is easy drinking for an IPA lover.

4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Im not a big fan of fruit beers, they tend to be too sweet. The only apricot beer Ive had (St Ambroise Apricot Wheat) tasted awful, so my expectations with this beer werent that high. I was surprised. This beer is incredible.

It pours a burnished orange color with a big chunky off white head. Retention and lacing were excellent. The aroma of this beer is equal parts hop bitterness, apricots, and malt. Its actually pretty hop heavy on the nose. The taste starts out with a big hop bite which leads into an array of different hop flavors (grapefruit, earthy). In the middle subtle apricot and biscuity malt notes make themselves apparent. The finish is very bitter and lingers on the palate.

The apricot flavor in this beer is understated, which I wasnt expecting. Hops and malt are definitely the dominant flavors. This is one hoppy beer, I also found it much drier than the 90 minute. The mouthfeel is thick and textured, very nice. This is one hell of an IPA, apricots or not.

ApriHop from Dogfish Head Brewery