Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Theobroma - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: slvrmon82 on 03-21-2008

Theobroma is a celebration of chocolate, the food of the gods.

This Ancient Ale is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras that revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions.

The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1,200 B.C. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head's Theobroma (translated into "food of the gods") is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).

It's light in color, not what you expect from your typical chocolate beer (not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!).

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Theobroma Alström Bros
Reviews: 770 | Hads: 2,172

Appears an apricot sunshine copper hue with a large quickly dwindling off white head. There goes the end of my positive attributes, no lacing here. WTF, did I buy this beer?

Horrible beer experience, why would this beer bring the hype I thought I was excited about this but little did I realize that most of the new DFH beers in recent past besides Palo Santo Marron have sucked balls. I like extreme and big but between this and a beer like Sah'tea, wtf is Sam and company thinking. I do think outside the box when it comes to booze and flavor, recently Bocktown in the Burgh had Woodchuck cider on tap with chai tea that worked so well even after multiple beer heads hated on the creation. I was able to enjoy it, I love chai tea but this tastes like a continuous burn of chili powder cloying honey with bittering spices that should induce a coma. The other ingredients named on the label include honey, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ancho chilies and ground annatto. I've drank Midas Touch since the days of clear 750ml bottles, I love chateau however the fuck you pronounce that beer along with a tolerable admiration for Black and Blue and Red and White, but this is an abomination and I've heard to steer clear of the Sah'tea along with the recent big bottled Squall IPA. Pretty bad when your ex brewer who works at Otter Creek is brewing better Mud Bock than your current specialties. I must say I never thought I would taste a beer this bad from DFH, I loved the initial bottling of 90 Min with the guy hammering a nail into one of his nares. This brew opened up my eyes like never before, I can't believe it this beer sucks I can't put it into beautiful or poetic words, please never brew this rainforest creation ever again. BTW, is your palate dead how has this beer remained up in the ratings as a better brew from DFH. Believe me I vacationed at Rehoboth when I graduated school just to get closer to the source this is not the typical brew, but I don't feel I should water down their shortcomings. A cloying mess of a beer with sweet honey and burning chilies fuck that, I want good beer. I like Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili beer more than this pure shite. Not overly spicy just a powdered offness from all of the spice additions coming to the party. Hand me a Natty Ice to wipe this flavor out of my mouth!!!

1.45/5  rDev -61.6%

I bought this 750ml for 14 bucks in hopes to try another delicious Dogfish Head brew...Well this is the worst DFH beer I have had and I absolutely love almost every single DFH beer I have tried to date, but this was more than disappointing.

A - It looked like flat orange soda, no head, no lacing. It was a 2010 batch as stamped on the bottle.

S - Very light nose, pepper and honey is all I got.

T - It had nothing but a very light honey taste upfront, and A peppery aftertaste. Thats it. Nothing more. Not a hint of any type of chocolate. Very disappointing.

M - Light carbonation, drank like a white wine.

D - I would tell anyone if you see this bottle in passing at the liquor store, let it pass. Awful.

Dogfish Head is still my favourite brewery for now, but I hope this is not the direction new brews from DFH take.

1.8/5  rDev -52.4%

**** Please read note at bottom (revision)

I have enjoyed most other offerings by Dogfish and respect their willingness to push the envelope, but this one was as undrinkable as any beer I have had. I had a hard time finishing a single glass, and only managed that because I wanted to review it.

A: Honey colored, almost no head, fairly clear.
S: A little funky nose, dominated by wet wool, but with faint a floral hint and even fainter chili-flavored gummi bear note.
T: Yuck! Honeysuckle quickly overwhelmed by a bail of wet hay pissed on by a cat who just ate a box of Hot Tomales candy. I did taste the pepper, never really got the cocoa except for a slight chalky texture. Honey was all eaten by the yeast.
M: This was one of the only pluses here, despite the lack of carbonation there was a lively mouthfeel with a chalkiness following.
D: Barely finished a glass. Would only try again if someone I respected convinced me that I must have had a bottle that went off for some reason.

This really takes Dogfish down a notch in my book. What I was expecting compared to what I got was night and day. I like the fact that they experiment, but they should know better than to release crap like this. Keep this kind of stuff in house and release only drinkable stuff please!

Please note: I had this on tap subsequently at Church Key in San Francisco, at the suggestion of the barmaid. Well, I have to concede that, while the aromas were basically the same, the taste was far superior to the example I had in the bottle. So I would revise to a c+, except the bottle really did suck, and BA does not provide a way to do 2 reviews of the same beer with different delivery methods. Until they do that, I leave it as is.

1.84/5  rDev -51.3%

A: Golden colored pour with a massive head. Somewhat suprising as I was thinking, based on the describtion of cocoa and chocolate, that this would be a much darker beer.

S: All I could pick up was the sweet smell of honey and yeast.

T: Very disappointing. Like the nose, all I could pick up was the honey. Zero cocoa, chocolate or chillies. How does this happen? I was hoping it would get better as it warmed up, but still nothing.

Other than the honey, it could have been a BMC. If BMC could put out a "honey beer", this is what it would taste like.

M: The honey seems to add a little body to this, but other than that, just average.

D: It's drinkable, you could probably put down quite a few as the ABV doesn't come out at all on this one. It's get a low score though since I feel like I spent $12 on a hyped up BMC.

I was really excited to try this based on the describtion. By far the least flavorful beer from DFH I've had. Unless the recipe changes to add a lot more flavor, I would never drop $12 on this again.

1.9/5  rDev -49.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

Poured into a tulip, little to no head, lighter in color than i expected, like a golden yellow.
Smells faintly of the cocoa, and maybe a bit of chili in the back.
The taste is as bad as any beer as i have had, and that include triple bock. Horrible disjointed mess of a beer. Way too much dry cocoa powder flavor, and cloying honey. and the chili makes it worse. I really don't like this beer, in any shape or form. I managed to finish my glass, but the rest of the bottle was a drain pour.

1.93/5  rDev -48.9%

What the heck happened DF? I bought two of these and they were absolutely ruined and undrinkable.

The third while it didn't appear compromised, just had NOTHING to write about based on the description of the beer.

nose... Pure apple cider.. and sour tinges. HUh??? Is this beer having an identity crisis??

Taste... watery no body at all, barely a faint cacao on the finish, honey taste was there somewhat, but the biggest disappointment is the fact they mention chilies. Where? There are NONE on this beer.

Inconsistent product. This was a beer I wanted to like but just couldn't.

I do not recommend this beer at all, and I am a HUGE fan of this brewery so take that in to consideration, but as someone mentioned and I may have to agree with them... This is the WORST product they have ever made that I have ever had by DF.

1.95/5  rDev -48.4%

"Bottled in 2009"

Pours a nice red in color, a hue I haven't seen in beer before, with no head, though it is carbonated.

A light aroma of spices and cocoa.

The cocoa is detectible in the flavor, along with a mild amount of chile heat and flavor. There are also weird vegetable flavors that are not that pleasant. Noticeable alcohol flavors and dryness. The more I drink of this the worse it tastes, actually.

This beer just doesn't do it for me, and it hurts me to give a bad review to a beer from such a great brewery.

This is the least distinguished (a polite way to say "worst") Dogfish Head beer. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

After drinking more of this (perhaps eight ounces total) I was getting a bad feeling in my stomach and did something I've never done before: I poured the rest of the glass down the drain.

Avoid this beer.

1.96/5  rDev -48.1%

What in the world is this foul thing? Dogfish Head does some weird stuff sometimes, and sometimes it works... but this is an abomination.

Appearance takes me by surprise. And not in a good way. Pour is a slightly murky golden yellow color. A fizzy off-white head that recedes almost immediately to nothing. No lacing. Very nondescript so far, right? Surely not worth much, but not enough to be horrible. Except for one thing. Even in the first pour, there were tons of yellowish chunks floating around. These do not look like yeast chunks - yeast, I can deal with. These things look like boogers picked from a sick nose. Or maybe... yes!... they look like the shit that you wipe out of your eyes when you wake up in the morning. When you have pinkeye. Absolutely wretched. I almost don't even want to drink this thing.

Smell is nondescript and underwhelming. I get a hint of cocoa powder, an overripe vegetable component, maybe some yeasty notes? I dunno, it's somewhat difficult to pick stuff out of this. I'm still grossed out by the appearance.

Taste. Meh. DFH so routinely puts out massively flavored brews that I didn't expect this to be so weak. It's boring. A little hint of the chiles, a little hint of the cocoa, a little bit of a weird herbal twang... and a long finish that highlights the chili component. Not good. Not the worst part of this brew... but not good.

Mouthfeel. Tell me, good reader... how do you think a thin, fizzy beer that has weird chunks floating around in it would feel in YOUR mouth?

Drinkability is awful. I do not like to drainpour beers. I have probably averaged 1-2 beers a day for the last 3 years, and my best guess is that I have poured about three of them out. I drank about 4 oz. of this monstrosity and that was enough.

Perhaps I got a bad bottle. If I ever try this again, and it turned out that this bottle was bad, then I will revise my scores here. But I don't see a scenario in which I try this beer again. Absolutely horrid.

2.05/5  rDev -45.8%

A - An orange with a tint of brown.

S - Similar to the taste, vinegar and a touch of chili.

T - Wow, total disappointment, just shocked. Can't believe I disliked it so much. This is my first review just because I generally agree with BA averages and feel I have nothing major to add if a beer has many reviews. I've tried about ~60 beers. This one I felt completely opposite on. The taste really is the most important thing in a beer for me with drinkability probably coming second. It tasted like some nasty vinegar with jalapeno juice squeezed in it. The worst beer I've ever had, easily besting BMC beers. I tried taking small sips to pick up on other flavors but it still punished me. It is extreme but in a terrible way! 2008 bottle.

M - Just an average beer, fairly light.

D - For 9% ABV it is easy enough to drink without much hint of alcohol, assuming you like the taste! This is probably the only respectable aspect of the beer for me. I managed to choke down the whole bottle but just because I paid almost $12 for it. Took me all night...

I hope I just got a bad one since everything else I've had from Dogfish is kick ass. I know it is unlikely I'll ever get another chance to taste this a second time as I'd never make the mistake of buying it again.

2.22/5  rDev -41.3%

Pours a mediun yellow/orange with a white head that disapates very quickly.
Aroma of honey and very faint pepper and wet straw, not really appealing.
Mouthfeel was average with no alcohol.
Taste was surprisingly mild,no big chili,no big cocoa flavor.
Really, not much flavor period.
Not impressed, and won't be back for another one.

2.29/5  rDev -39.4%

Cloudy peach fuzz color. Thin white head that is quick to skim and vanish. Looks heavy and lifeless. Honey, nectarine and mild boozey aroma. Pretty bland for such a grocery list of special ingredients.

Orange flavor ice with a chilis for balance. Pulpy mouthfeel. Again, really bland for such a shopping list of special ingredients.

Where are all these special ingredients? I get the honey, I get the chilis, but where's everything else? For a beer that claims to be "a recreation of the premier chocolate beverage of the Americas" this beer has as much chocolate as a pickle.

Pricey drainpour.

2.33/5  rDev -38.4%

I had long awaited the arrival of this beer in my neck of the woods. The concept of Chili Peppers and Chocolate (not to mention the reviews I had seen of it) sounded AMAZING. I am sad to say that I was not impressed by the balance of the flavors at all. I didn't find that there was any flavor of the Chili Peppers in the beer at all (ideally I would have liked a little spice or something to be there) I wasn't expecting much from the chocolate going in, but I got nothing. Although I am glad to have tried it and learned from the experience, I felt a bit let down by it.

2.35/5  rDev -37.8%

Poured into a snifter. Shared with Cavery.

A: Pours a brownish orange with a very small had that dies off extremely quickly and leaves no lacing. The body looks placid and carbonationless as could be with the exception of a very small swirl of clear bubbles laying on top in the middle. Looks, honestly, like a dark lager left in a glass for a day.

S: Definitely a lager base to the smell with most of the ingredients mixing together and coming off more as a mound of burnt grain than individual notes. A little bit of chocolate sweetness, which doesn't mix well with the lager background, and a kind of chili sweetness, which also doesn't mix well. I don't want to drink this.

T: Actually hits with a very mild spiciness that spreads to the roof of the mouth on swallow. Cocoa nib sweetness in the middle taste and roasted grain throughout the rest. This all sounds okay, but would you want cocoa nib bud light? Spicy coors? Lager is not the platform for these flavors.

M: Carbonation is more present than the look would have you think, and the body is more thick than the lagerish feel would make you believe. Honey comes out more in the smoothness of the mouthfeel than it does the taste of the beer.

O: The ingredients used in this are some of the best I've heard of for a beer. I was expecting something dark, creamy, spicy with a paired cocoa kick that mellowed into a honey finish. Instead I feel like I got pranked by having such good ingredients tossed into what to me is basically a lager. Really terrible match, really difficult to drink and enjoy. This was very close to a drainpour but I managed to finish my glass. I gave this a small score bump because of the originality.

2.35/5  rDev -37.8%

A-Pours an yellow/gold color with a nice head that fades quickly and left little lacing.

S-Fruity. I can't smell any of the chilies, honey or chocolate. Maybe its my sinuses. But what I can smells smells good.

T-I can't smell the chilies, but I can taste them big time. Its not working real well for me. A sweet honey/malty taste as well, but the most prominent taste for me is definitely the chilies. The combination of the sweetness and the chilies is not working for me.

M-Medium body, spicy finish. But there is a horrendous aftertaste that I can't get rid of.

D-I can't see myself drinking this one again.

Others may like this, but for me, DFH missed the boat on this one.

2.36/5  rDev -37.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle to a freshly washed goblet. Golden honey in color with a slightly off-white head one inch sustaining with moderate "leggy" lacing. *I am thrown off considering this is suposed to be a cocoa nib/chile beer. I was expecting something darker respectively.

Smell is sweet honey biscuit. Slightly buttery and a hint of anise, nutty almond is present. I cannot detect any chocolate or raosted malt characteristics at all; which was anticipated.

Taste is that of cloying honey. Holy honey batman! A hint of anise and buttery almond is present in the finish. Very heavy sweetness. Almost too sweet to detect anything else but the sweetness of cloying honey.

Very full bodied and almost undrinkable for me. I finished my sampling respecting that this was a collaborative effort to recreate a style of beer native to the respective culture of the time. Dogfish is an excellent brewery with BIG bold tasting brews. I love Dogfish.... However I am dissapointed that this offering is lacking characteristics that are marketed by Dogfish. Coacoa nibs, chilies and anatto seems to be mising from the beer/mead. I would like to see another attempt at this brewing with more emphisis on respecting culture but yet also staying true to todays standard. Perhaps some raosted malts and new hop variety could be added. I would have rather experienced a brew with too much to offer than this dissapointing one demensional experience.

2.42/5  rDev -36%

A: Pours a slightly hazy orange body. Head was small, white, & fizzy. By the time I walked from my kitchen to my living room, you would never have guess there was a head.

S: A stong honey & malt aroma that's slightly boozy. Reminds me of a mead.

T: Overwhelming honey flavor with some spices. Very syrupy sweet. Not getting any chile or chocolate flavor as described on the label.

M: Slick syrupy mouthfeel; medium body; no carbonation.

O: Did not enjoy this one. Felt like I needed to drink it with a straw to get it done and over with. Husband drank mine and he enjoyed it, but the honey flavor was way too strong for me. I would never get this again. It did not taste like it said on the label.

2.45/5  rDev -35.2%

Another complete waste of money on over hyped Dogfish beer.
Terrible- no chile or cocoa/chocolate. Tasted like a cross between a hefeweizen and Budweiser. Save your money for something else. Every Dogfish beer I continue to try I get more disappointed each time.

2.48/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at the Petrol Station. I enjoyed this on tap with armock. More for his company than the actual qualities of the beer.

A: Pours a dull hazy golden/orange color. A minimal white head forms, but recedes to nothing in a second. Not much lace to speak of. Almost macro like, which is not a good start to a beer IMO.
S: Some sweet malt up front, light spice and soapy hops. Grainy malt. Kind of adjunct like. Not much else. Really bland and very disappointing overall.
T: Sweet malt, light chocolate, and very light spice. Some light soapy hops. Nothing else. Completely bland and generic.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Fairly creamy and smooth. Not a lot of alcohol noticeable, but just really bland and uninteresting. Glad I only got a pint instead of a bomber (this time anyway). It has been drained poured at other times.

I have had this many times, and it is not something I would recommend at all. Very bland and generic. Dogfish Head does some interesting stuff from time to time. Sometimes it is really good, sometimes it is average, and sometimes it is just bad. This is just bad IMO.

2.52/5  rDev -33.3%

Got a 750ml of this anticipated beer at Dutch's in Hyde Park. Jay, the owner said he just got this off the truck yesterday. Shared with pwoods at my place.

A: Pours a slightly cloudy, rust yellow with a nice creamy off-white head that disappears quickly.

S: After a good roll in my glass, I smell a murky, earthy, musty blend of undefinable scents. Smells also included cinnamon and a strange lingering spiciness, almost like pepper.

T/M: Surprisingly light-bodied with a fair variety of flavors including mild cinnamon, muted anise, earthy hops, mildly toasted malts. The finish was warm (almost spicy). As the beer warmed, the alcohol became more prevalent. This reminds me of the 2006 vintage of Three Floyd's Munsterfest - lots of earthiness.

Overall, this was unique beer and I am glad I had the opportunity to try. Would I buy it again? Probably not, no thanks - too light bodied and strange for me...

2.53/5  rDev -33.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a light golden color ale with a medium pure white foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of Chiles and staled grain is not as interesting as I had expected. Taste is more geared toward Chiles then anything else and chocolate notes are very hard to distinguish. Body is about average with OK carbonation and no sign of alcohol. I kind of understand the experience but I am not sure why someone would want to drink this more then once.

2.54/5  rDev -32.8%

A: OK, I thought this was a chocolate beer - so not at all what I was expecting. It's very cloudy, dark orange, a lot of carbonation and fading fast. I don't really like the appearance of this at all.
S: What the heck is this beer? It smells orange, slightly Belgian, fairly papery. A bit peppery. There is no hint on the bottle as to what this is supposed to be, except some bullshit about Aztecs. OK I guess.
T: OK, this beer is terrible. One of the worst I have ever had. It's kind of Belgian, very oxidized I think, no spicy peppers I don't think, no chocolate. Nothing definitive, all over the place.

I guess this is an interesting historical creation. But I doubt Aztecs were brewing 9% beers. And it just is not good. As it warms up, I get the burnt chocolate a bit in the aroma. Undescribed fruitness, like wild berries or something. All over the place. Very earthy, almost like dirt.

M: Dry, carbonated, almost saison like. I could almost deal with this beer if it was supposed to be a saison, but I just don't know.

O: Nothing redeemable about this beer, unless you are looking for a historical recreation you'd be willing to throw away.

2.54/5  rDev -32.8%

What? What is this? I was totally expectingthis to pour black or at least dark brown, what with all the talk of chocolate and cocoa on the label! Poured light golden with a fluffy white head-looks just like a lager--O.K. if they can get this to taste like the cocoa/chile beer that I'm hoping to tasteI'll be really impressed! My taste buds hit the brakes and nearly go off the road-Honey, honey, honey!! This beer is cloyingly sweet--I wait for the cocoa nibs, chiles and anatto to come around. And wait, and wait. Something touches the back of my tounge and then quickly departs-I am left baffled- something must counteract all this sweetness-My kingdom for a hop!!
I suppose that for this very unusual style of beer that the flavor is close to the mark. But for a brewer like Dogfish Head (of whose beers I usually really enjoy) this offering seemed to fall short of my expectations of their normally big, bold-flavored brews. But hey, keep makin' 'em and I'll keep tryin' 'em!

2.55/5  rDev -32.5%

As I poured this Aztec influenced ale, I was quiet surprised to find a golden and crisp liquid, instead of the jet black behemoth I expected.

Head is firm and sticky, if slight, and carbonation is lively. I'm reminded of a Helles or American Adjunct Lager, which is an odd look for a beer that supposedly tastes like cocoa and chili peppers.

Smell is a bit sweaty, featuring mild chocolate aroma, a hint of honey and some ground pepper. It's not necessarily unpleasant, but the onion notes are off-putting.

Flavor is rather one-dimensional, focusing all of its attention on the sweetness of the honey. It reminds me of a mead, carrying on that beverage's warming characteristics and alcoholic back end. I'm really struggling to locate any spice and I was hoping for a big blast of chili goodness to scorch my palate. Cocoa peaks out subtly at the conclusion, but the honey's cloying sweetness dominates the flavor profile.

Liquid is smooth initially, but the medicinal quality of the honey and the utter lack of balance make this stand out in a negative way.

I'd say that the untraditional aspects of this beer will be hard to take for most. I understand brewer intention and innovation, but I still think this is too focused on one ingredient to truly reflect the original nature of this beer. It would be much easier to take in a 12 oz. bottle, but, at 750 ml., it's hard to choke down.

2.56/5  rDev -32.3%

Served from a wine-like bottle into a pils glass. Cool.

A-strawberry roan, gold, with an off white head.

S-candy, m+m's

T-candy, milk chocolate, corn chip, boozy finish

D-I tried this beer all sorts of ways. Cool, warm, cold and none of them gave me much in the area of flavors advertised. Maybe the annatto more than any of the advertised additions. It doesn't taste bad, just not as advertised.

2.58/5  rDev -31.7%

Draft, City Beer Store. The second of a pair of way too sweet DFH beers from tonight's stop at CBS. The beer looks thick and odd, mustily golden in color with no head to speak of. The aroma is oddly light and off. The malt smells musty with, maybe, an aluminum touch. There's a light chili pepper note and an extremely faint shade of cocoa that I might be projecting given expectations. The flavor is unapologetically sweet. There's a blandly sweet honey note, a bit of chili pepper in the finish and not much else besides so-so malt. Mouthfeel is unfortunately oily and thick. There isn't much alcohol, for what it's worth. I had trouble getting through a 5 ounce pour and can only imagine that a solo attempt on a full bottle would have ended with a trip to the sink. Sorry, Dogfish. I really wanted to like this one.

Theobroma from Dogfish Head Brewery