Theobroma - Dogfish Head Brewery

TheobromaTheobroma

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Theobroma is a celebration of chocolate, the food of the gods.

This Ancient Ale is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras that revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions.

The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1,200 B.C. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head's Theobroma (translated into "food of the gods") is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).

It's light in color, not what you expect from your typical chocolate beer (not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!).

(Beer added by: slvrmon82 on 03-21-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Theobroma Alström Bros
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

Appears an apricot sunshine copper hue with a large quickly dwindling off white head. There goes the end of my positive attributes, no lacing here. WTF, did I buy this beer?

Horrible beer experience, why would this beer bring the hype I thought I was excited about this but little did I realize that most of the new DFH beers in recent past besides Palo Santo Marron have sucked balls. I like extreme and big but between this and a beer like Sah'tea, wtf is Sam and company thinking. I do think outside the box when it comes to booze and flavor, recently Bocktown in the Burgh had Woodchuck cider on tap with chai tea that worked so well even after multiple beer heads hated on the creation. I was able to enjoy it, I love chai tea but this tastes like a continuous burn of chili powder cloying honey with bittering spices that should induce a coma. The other ingredients named on the label include honey, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ancho chilies and ground annatto. I've drank Midas Touch since the days of clear 750ml bottles, I love chateau however the fuck you pronounce that beer along with a tolerable admiration for Black and Blue and Red and White, but this is an abomination and I've heard to steer clear of the Sah'tea along with the recent big bottled Squall IPA. Pretty bad when your ex brewer who works at Otter Creek is brewing better Mud Bock than your current specialties. I must say I never thought I would taste a beer this bad from DFH, I loved the initial bottling of 90 Min with the guy hammering a nail into one of his nares. This brew opened up my eyes like never before, I can't believe it this beer sucks I can't put it into beautiful or poetic words, please never brew this rainforest creation ever again. BTW, is your palate dead how has this beer remained up in the ratings as a better brew from DFH. Believe me I vacationed at Rehoboth when I graduated school just to get closer to the source this is not the typical brew, but I don't feel I should water down their shortcomings. A cloying mess of a beer with sweet honey and burning chilies fuck that, I want good beer. I like Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili beer more than this pure shite. Not overly spicy just a powdered offness from all of the spice additions coming to the party. Hand me a Natty Ice to wipe this flavor out of my mouth!!!

08-28-2009 06:00:52 | More by WVbeergeek

01-15-2012 04:24:40 | More by bkbergen
tmars13

08-21-2012 03:22:44 | More by tmars13
Photo of

You rated this beer. Add a review.

04-30-2012 19:16:33 | More by
Rickythejeweler

Maryland

1.4/5  rDev -63.6%

I bought this 750ml for 14 bucks in hopes to try another delicious Dogfish Head brew...Well this is the worst DFH beer I have had and I absolutely love almost every single DFH beer I have tried to date, but this was more than disappointing.

A - It looked like flat orange soda, no head, no lacing. It was a 2010 batch as stamped on the bottle.

S - Very light nose, pepper and honey is all I got.

T - It had nothing but a very light honey taste upfront, and A peppery aftertaste. Thats it. Nothing more. Not a hint of any type of chocolate. Very disappointing.

M - Light carbonation, drank like a white wine.

D - I would tell anyone if you see this bottle in passing at the liquor store, let it pass. Awful.

Dogfish Head is still my favourite brewery for now, but I hope this is not the direction new brews from DFH take.

09-07-2010 23:54:51 | More by Rickythejeweler
jacobdensford

1.5/5  rDev -61%

09-15-2012 05:23:19 | More by jacobdensford
carpezytha

1.7/5  rDev -55.8%

**** Please read note at bottom (revision)

I have enjoyed most other offerings by Dogfish and respect their willingness to push the envelope, but this one was as undrinkable as any beer I have had. I had a hard time finishing a single glass, and only managed that because I wanted to review it.

A: Honey colored, almost no head, fairly clear.
S: A little funky nose, dominated by wet wool, but with faint a floral hint and even fainter chili-flavored gummi bear note.
T: Yuck! Honeysuckle quickly overwhelmed by a bail of wet hay pissed on by a cat who just ate a box of Hot Tomales candy. I did taste the pepper, never really got the cocoa except for a slight chalky texture. Honey was all eaten by the yeast.
M: This was one of the only pluses here, despite the lack of carbonation there was a lively mouthfeel with a chalkiness following.
D: Barely finished a glass. Would only try again if someone I respected convinced me that I must have had a bottle that went off for some reason.

This really takes Dogfish down a notch in my book. What I was expecting compared to what I got was night and day. I like the fact that they experiment, but they should know better than to release crap like this. Keep this kind of stuff in house and release only drinkable stuff please!

***
Please note: I had this on tap subsequently at Church Key in San Francisco, at the suggestion of the barmaid. Well, I have to concede that, while the aromas were basically the same, the taste was far superior to the example I had in the bottle. So I would revise to a c+, except the bottle really did suck, and BA does not provide a way to do 2 reviews of the same beer with different delivery methods. Until they do that, I leave it as is.

08-19-2010 06:40:45 | More by carpezytha

10-24-2013 12:21:46 | More by brandonld23
Shaw

1.83/5  rDev -52.5%

"Bottled in 2009"

Pours a nice red in color, a hue I haven't seen in beer before, with no head, though it is carbonated.

A light aroma of spices and cocoa.

The cocoa is detectible in the flavor, along with a mild amount of chile heat and flavor. There are also weird vegetable flavors that are not that pleasant. Noticeable alcohol flavors and dryness. The more I drink of this the worse it tastes, actually.

This beer just doesn't do it for me, and it hurts me to give a bad review to a beer from such a great brewery.

This is the least distinguished (a polite way to say "worst") Dogfish Head beer. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

After drinking more of this (perhaps eight ounces total) I was getting a bad feeling in my stomach and did something I've never done before: I poured the rest of the glass down the drain.

Avoid this beer.

08-16-2009 04:17:23 | More by Shaw
sugit

1.83/5  rDev -52.5%

A: Golden colored pour with a massive head. Somewhat suprising as I was thinking, based on the describtion of cocoa and chocolate, that this would be a much darker beer.

S: All I could pick up was the sweet smell of honey and yeast.

T: Very disappointing. Like the nose, all I could pick up was the honey. Zero cocoa, chocolate or chillies. How does this happen? I was hoping it would get better as it warmed up, but still nothing.

Other than the honey, it could have been a BMC. If BMC could put out a "honey beer", this is what it would taste like.

M: The honey seems to add a little body to this, but other than that, just average.

D: It's drinkable, you could probably put down quite a few as the ABV doesn't come out at all on this one. It's get a low score though since I feel like I spent $12 on a hyped up BMC.

I was really excited to try this based on the describtion. By far the least flavorful beer from DFH I've had. Unless the recipe changes to add a lot more flavor, I would never drop $12 on this again.

12-12-2010 17:50:22 | More by sugit
redneckchugger

1.85/5  rDev -51.9%

Poured into a tulip, little to no head, lighter in color than i expected, like a golden yellow.
Smells faintly of the cocoa, and maybe a bit of chili in the back.
The taste is as bad as any beer as i have had, and that include triple bock. Horrible disjointed mess of a beer. Way too much dry cocoa powder flavor, and cloying honey. and the chili makes it worse. I really don't like this beer, in any shape or form. I managed to finish my glass, but the rest of the bottle was a drain pour.

08-06-2009 13:09:33 | More by redneckchugger
smakawhat

Maryland

1.95/5  rDev -49.4%

What the heck happened DF? I bought two of these and they were absolutely ruined and undrinkable.

The third while it didn't appear compromised, just had NOTHING to write about based on the description of the beer.

nose... Pure apple cider.. and sour tinges. HUh??? Is this beer having an identity crisis??

Taste... watery no body at all, barely a faint cacao on the finish, honey taste was there somewhat, but the biggest disappointment is the fact they mention chilies. Where? There are NONE on this beer.

Inconsistent product. This was a beer I wanted to like but just couldn't.

I do not recommend this beer at all, and I am a HUGE fan of this brewery so take that in to consideration, but as someone mentioned and I may have to agree with them... This is the WORST product they have ever made that I have ever had by DF.

09-30-2010 05:28:34 | More by smakawhat
davod23

1.98/5  rDev -48.6%

What in the world is this foul thing? Dogfish Head does some weird stuff sometimes, and sometimes it works... but this is an abomination.

Appearance takes me by surprise. And not in a good way. Pour is a slightly murky golden yellow color. A fizzy off-white head that recedes almost immediately to nothing. No lacing. Very nondescript so far, right? Surely not worth much, but not enough to be horrible. Except for one thing. Even in the first pour, there were tons of yellowish chunks floating around. These do not look like yeast chunks - yeast, I can deal with. These things look like boogers picked from a sick nose. Or maybe... yes!... they look like the shit that you wipe out of your eyes when you wake up in the morning. When you have pinkeye. Absolutely wretched. I almost don't even want to drink this thing.

Smell is nondescript and underwhelming. I get a hint of cocoa powder, an overripe vegetable component, maybe some yeasty notes? I dunno, it's somewhat difficult to pick stuff out of this. I'm still grossed out by the appearance.

Taste. Meh. DFH so routinely puts out massively flavored brews that I didn't expect this to be so weak. It's boring. A little hint of the chiles, a little hint of the cocoa, a little bit of a weird herbal twang... and a long finish that highlights the chili component. Not good. Not the worst part of this brew... but not good.

Mouthfeel. Tell me, good reader... how do you think a thin, fizzy beer that has weird chunks floating around in it would feel in YOUR mouth?

Drinkability is awful. I do not like to drainpour beers. I have probably averaged 1-2 beers a day for the last 3 years, and my best guess is that I have poured about three of them out. I drank about 4 oz. of this monstrosity and that was enough.

Perhaps I got a bad bottle. If I ever try this again, and it turned out that this bottle was bad, then I will revise my scores here. But I don't see a scenario in which I try this beer again. Absolutely horrid.

11-16-2009 07:26:18 | More by davod23
Antp

10-22-2012 18:58:43 | More by Antp
ThatsThatDude

01-06-2014 15:56:54 | More by ThatsThatDude
KevMo84

05-27-2014 06:45:51 | More by KevMo84
Fastidious

A - An orange with a tint of brown.

S - Similar to the taste, vinegar and a touch of chili.

T - Wow, total disappointment, just shocked. Can't believe I disliked it so much. This is my first review just because I generally agree with BA averages and feel I have nothing major to add if a beer has many reviews. I've tried about ~60 beers. This one I felt completely opposite on. The taste really is the most important thing in a beer for me with drinkability probably coming second. It tasted like some nasty vinegar with jalapeno juice squeezed in it. The worst beer I've ever had, easily besting BMC beers. I tried taking small sips to pick up on other flavors but it still punished me. It is extreme but in a terrible way! 2008 bottle.

M - Just an average beer, fairly light.

D - For 9% ABV it is easy enough to drink without much hint of alcohol, assuming you like the taste! This is probably the only respectable aspect of the beer for me. I managed to choke down the whole bottle but just because I paid almost $12 for it. Took me all night...

I hope I just got a bad one since everything else I've had from Dogfish is kick ass. I know it is unlikely I'll ever get another chance to taste this a second time as I'd never make the mistake of buying it again.

10-30-2009 03:12:45 | More by Fastidious