Theobroma - Dogfish Head Brewery

TheobromaTheobroma

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Theobroma is a celebration of chocolate, the food of the gods.

This Ancient Ale is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras that revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions.

The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1,200 B.C. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head's Theobroma (translated into "food of the gods") is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).

It's light in color, not what you expect from your typical chocolate beer (not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!).

(Beer added by: slvrmon82 on 03-21-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Theobroma Alström Bros
thekevlarkid

Maryland

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Out of a magnum bottle this beer was a slightly hazy amber color with good rising carbonation and one finger of beige head. The retention was so-so and the lacing no better. The aroma was of pale malt, honey, lots of spices, a hint of chocolate, some fruity esters and floral hops in the background. The flavors were unusual indeed. I tasted the ancho chilies and cocoa powder quite clearly along with the spices and some doughy pale malt. The finish did have enough leafy hops in it to be crisp and a touch bitter. None of the flavors really seemed well-defined however and they all seemed to be competing with rather than complimenting each other. Semi-sweet and rather acidic. The mouthfeel was smooth, the body medium and the carbonation good. Interesting, but not one I'd quickly recommend.

03-16-2009 17:20:54 | More by thekevlarkid
hwwty4

Missouri

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to Popkas for this bottle.

Poured a 750ml into my Tripel Karmeliet tulip. This beer pours a fairly still hazy amber with just an inkling of a white fish-eyed head. The aroma is odd. Powdered bakers chocolate, with biscuity yeast, and a bit of honey. No really noticeable aroma of ancho chilies. The flavor is quite chocolaty. Not sweet chocolate, but more like a 85% pure cocoa bar. Just a hint of delectable sweetness from the honey comes through. A bit of clove. The tail is pure Ancho, with just a slight burn as it turns down your throat and warms your belly. This is some of the best chile presence I've found in a beer. The mouthfeel leaves great chile burn on the inside of your lips but unfortunately is a little less then carbonated and finishes just a bit to dry. I really wish there was a bit more carbonation to this beer. I give DFH huge props for attempting this recipe and hope the give it a couple more tweaks and turn this into the best Chile beer on the market.

03-11-2009 02:51:02 | More by hwwty4
schroederm

In a goblet:

Surpisingly light golden color. Good lacing. Can't tell how big the head was as I got an overpour, but looks like it would have been thick from what was left. Smells fantastic very nice hints strawberry and rock candy. Not strong. Very sweet start and aftertaste. Good balance of bitter for the style. Strawberry all through the taste. I was expecting some cocoa, but didn't find any. Excellent, full body. Carb is a little biting. The alcohol is hidden very, very well, and the beer tastes fantastic, making this quite drinkable and a solid win.

Overall: A little expensive, but worth a try. I love how creative Dogfish Head is, and this is a prime example of their innovation.

03-06-2009 20:14:33 | More by schroederm
alovesupreme

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Served in a goblet at Roadhouse in Brookline.
Not to much head but looked good with a dark yellow color with very small particles.
Strawberry with a hint of citrus.
Lots of strawberry, with a bready yeast character. Alcohol was very well hidden almost undetectable.
Nice mouthfeel, with carbonation in just the right place.
A very solid beer, that is worth seeking out.

02-27-2009 02:17:50 | More by alovesupreme
tmoneyba

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottle from Rivers Bend.

Poured a clear copper color with an average off-white head that mostly lasted with good lacing. Good aroma of spice and dark fruit and cocoa. Medium to full body with sticky texture. Medium to heavy bittersweet flavor with a medium to heavy spicy complex finish of moderate to long duration.

Interesting complex good brew.

02-21-2009 23:04:41 | More by tmoneyba
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Appearance: Clear, hazy amber with an off-white head.

Smell: Chili peppers, honey, nuts, pecans.

Taste: Very light and delicate. Some honey, chili peppers, light malt, corn, bread, and toasted/roasted nuts. There is no real heat or spice to it, the pepper is actually hard to detect (and I am sensitive to hot foods). Actually somewhat bland

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is a little on the high end. A little sticky.

Drinkability: I found it boring, the chilies are not that present and otherwise there is not much too it. A little expensive for what it is. I basically had to chug it to get the chili flavor out, and then poured the rest. Never picked up any cocoa.

02-16-2009 22:49:48 | More by craytonic
kkosmoski

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Chilled in the fridge for about an hour and poured into an oversized Dogfish snifter. Pours bright orange with some very fine white bubbles that cover the top minimally. Fine particles dispersed through the beer. Herbal aroma, not sure exactly what, but kind of perfumy. Some honey, chile, corn, and a bit of a cardboard aroma (weird, I know). Aroma is not coming off to pleasant to me right now. Flavor starts with a honey sweetness, then moves into a bit of a chili bite. Light caramel flavor and some spices precede a finish of cocoa and cereal grain. Mouthfeel is pretty thin with a fairly high level of carbonation. The unconventional flavors in this beer and the high alcohol content do not make this very drinkable for me.

This beer was, lets just say, different. The aroma was very strange to me. I'm not sure if it was the spicing, or the chilies, but I did not find it very appealing. The flavor was much better than the aroma, but it was overly sweet, like many of the Dogfish beers. The aftertaste did have a very pleasant, grainy, almost cream ale flavor to it. I'm glad I tried it, but I will not be buying it again if it makes a return.

02-13-2009 02:48:18 | More by kkosmoski
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

So many people have likened this beer to Midas Touch but I think that is because this beer also has a ton of honey sweetness - much like a mead. I think the similarities end there.

This beer was bought in Cincinnati from a good friend Neslon. He said this one was "over the top." He was definately right.

I poured this one into a Duvel glass. WOW how can a beer made with cocoa be this light in color. As it poured out it looked straw colored and in my glass it has a burnt amber look to it. This beer has amazing clarity and absolutely no head retention. By the way, the head on this beer while it existed was pure white and about 1 inch thick.

The aroma is much like mead but with some other quality - (this turns out to be Ancho chillies). There is definately some spice in this beer.

The first taste was extremely unique. The flavors are so complex but yet so familiar. I first taste the light flavors of a mead then sweetness followed by sharp bitter chilli and a taste I've never had - this must be that Anatto (whatever that is). I saw the travel channel's show where they went to Dogfish Head and showed them making Theobroma. They discussed the history of this brew. I really wanted to pull mine out but I knew it wouldn't be cold before the show was over. Funny there it looked blood red. I think they said the Anatto was some sort of tree bark.

The mouthfeel is extremely light. There is a lot of carbonation. The alcohol makes this slick but not overly viscous.

At 9% alcohol this beer has some definate kick so watch out. I would not, under any circumstances, open more than one of these at a time. It's tasty but I feel like I've been there and done that. I won't seach this out again but if it's on the menu at a beer bar down the road who knows - I might feel like one.

02-01-2009 02:29:23 | More by PerzentRizen
Thefinerthings

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Saved this one for a rainy day.

A:Very unique color, orange and very bright. Great white head, very clean for this type of brew.

S: Very complex aroma. Fruity with a distinct chile sweetness. User BMONEY575 hit is right on the head with "peanut butter and jelly sandwich.Veyr impressed thus far.

T:Light and fruity upfront, which was surprising. A little sweetness and coco follows as it finishes. No alcohol taste and lighter than expected for the ingredient list.

M: Good, but light. Almost has more of a fruit juice feel to it than beer.

D: Very good drinkability, smooth and light. I will be honest though I split the bottle with a friend so I did nt drink a whole lot.

Overall I was very happy with this choice. I would purchase it again if the price would go down a little.

01-26-2009 05:11:09 | More by Thefinerthings
kasper

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

A: Cloudy from the side; transparent from top down after the fluffy off-white head quickly recedes, leaving dotted lacing around the glass.

S: Sweet and spicy. Honey accented malt. Some yeast. And some sharp spice. Underlying hints of velvety cocoa throughout. Powdery cocoa aromas.

T: Sweet and malty, flavors of honey followed by a powdery cocoa that fades into a spicy finish that catches you by surprise a few seconds after the swallow. You can feel a bit of a burn it in the nose and on the tongue from the chili peppers.

M: Low carbonation and smooth like DFH Midas Touch.

D: Drinkability is OK, as the spice hides the alcohol well though I'd be hard pressed to do more than split a bottle with someone.

01-25-2009 18:34:03 | More by kasper
Beertracker

Oklahoma

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Dogfish Head Theobroma pours up slightly heavy with a wispy thin creamish-white head that barely rings the slightly hazy deep golden-sunset body. The honeyish nose is very pleasant with a ripe fruitiness (apricot preserves, golden raisins, honeydew melon, etc...) followed by some floral (annatto, hibiscus, geranium) notes & spices (cassia, cumin, nutmeg). Just a hint cocoa, coffee, vanilla which all add to the overall complexity. I'm not really picking up any chilies? The flavor is characterized by a toasted biscuit maltiness that fully supports the underlying honey-chocolate tinged sweetness which is marked by a perfect amount of spicy bitterness. The annatto & chilies combine to create a unique, warming finish. The heat from the chilies actually warms the throat & excites the taste buds! This medium-full bodied SHV beer has a moderate carbonation, creamy & smooth. Good texture/mouthfeel. Theobroma is surprisingly drinkable for its strength, but disappears altogether too quickly. Here's to the "food of the Gods!"

CHEERS! Beertracker

Trader's Note: Thanks goes out to CrellMoset for the opportunity!

01-24-2009 05:56:10 | More by Beertracker
caminiti

4.97/5  rDev +29.1%

best beer ever.
Pretty much, in my opinion.
Poured a crisp gold or honey color, not at all what I expected, which was somewhat darker. Slight head that almost immediately vanished. The smell was crisp cocoa, not chocolate, and not soon forgotten. Taste was a crisp very lightly sweet, a little honey, then cocoa, again, not the sweet cocoa, though. Crisp on the tongue, and real easy to drink, disquises the alcohol content. If it wasnt so damn expensive (about $13 at Westmere Bev in Albany) I would drink it every night, and now I cant even find it.
In a word, bestbeerever.

01-22-2009 22:29:15 | More by caminiti
treehugger02010

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

My friend got a bottle of this and we split is, pouring it into pint glasses.
Appearance: The body is a light brown, cloudy, color that is topped with a very small head that left no lacing.
Smell: The aroma is very sweet, I smelt mostly fruits like figs.
Taste: The flavor was again very sweet, but a more honey focused taste. I felt like this was very meady.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very crisp.
Drinkability: This is certainly a great beer. I was expecting chocolate and didn't get any, and I was expecting more roast and didn't get any.
Don't drink and review.

01-20-2009 01:17:54 | More by treehugger02010
midaszero

Washington

A - Cloudy orange amber body with one finger of white head that leaves good lacing

S - Chocolate, random fruits, and honey

T - mix of honey and chocolate and some fruity notes that are a little musky. Little chili burn in the back

M - Medium body with light carbonation

D - Expected more chocolate. Interesting but not sure I would buy it again

01-18-2009 22:50:06 | More by midaszero
BMoney575

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sampled on 1-2-09
Reviewed from notes.

A: Very cool neon orange color with a big white head and a few little yeast floaties.

S: Complex, lots of light fruit, the distinct aroma of a peanut-butter and jelly sandwich, and chile sweetness in the back.

T: A huge light grape flavor hits at first, followed by the same chile sweetness as the smell. No alcohol is perceptible at all, which is strange for what seems to be a thinner, lighter beer.

M: Thin, but right for the flavors. Becomes slightly acidic the more you drink.

D: Good, the flavor is so different it's a refreshing change.

01-18-2009 20:56:05 | More by BMoney575
Reagan1984

4.38/5  rDev +13.8%

First big thanks to Channon for providing this in a recent trade. Thanks man!!

I have no idea what to expect, yet I have a complete image in my head. Does that make sense?

Bang, the beer is lighter in color than I had imagined.. A honey gold color with nice clarity and virtually no carbonation. The head was really spot on with about 2 fingers of off white foam... Actually an interesting color head. Not brown, not beige.... But something more than off white.. Some spotty lacing... Not much.

I get three things in the aroma... Earth, cocoa powder and some spice that I can't pinpoint.. Not so sweet... But something.... A sense of pepper spice.... But very subtle. Nice aroma.

Wow, very nice....Cocoa powder....cocoa powder....cocoa powder.... Just enough sweetness to make it work... I think it's the honey that provides the right balance... Lighter in flavor than I imagined.... There is the lightest touch of spice... This is what I would describe as white pepper despite knowing that there are real ancho chiles in here.. Just a touch of heat in the background. What great balance.

Mouthfeel is actually bright and body is fairly light.... Very drinkable... I will look for another bottle of this... Very interesting...

Cheers to DFH on this one...

01-17-2009 21:44:45 | More by Reagan1984
dancinwillie

Wisconsin

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My 100th review. Picked at random out of my dedicated beer refrigerator.

Big bottle. Going to review the first glass, and enjoy the second with homemade soup that I made with NG Fat Squirrel.

Wow! Surprised at the light color. From the ingredients listed on the bottle, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ancho chilies, etc., I thought this was going to be a dark concoction. No matter. A light to medium amber, with a a fluffy, soft white head. Big bubbles are bursting every second or so. Head has dropped to a scant covering. No lacing to speak of. A very small, almost invisible, amount of particles are suspended within.

Aroma is mainly a rich malt scent. Might be getting some soft chocolate notes. Other than that, smells a bit foreign to me.

Sweet up front. Really sweet. Honey forward, some chocolate. On second thought, yes, honey is prominent, but the chocolate really comes through too. I have no idea what cocoa nibs are, but cocoa powder fits the taste. Getting a lot of a cocoa taste, and it does in fact seem "powdery." Of course ancho chiles are somewhat chocolate like in flavor as well, some very mild spiciness here too. All in all, a very interesting beer. Some strong bitterness up front is detected as well, in retrospect. I'm not tasting the alcohol, but am getting some warming in my chest. As I continue with mouthfeel, and drinkability, I find myself coming back to taste, as the heat comes forward a little as the beer warms. Not really "extreme," yet still a bit startling in flavor.

Slightly thin mouthfeel, which seems appropriate. I say "seems" because there is really nothing I have to go on here. This is a different beer, to be sure. The honey helps give this beer a dry finish.

I can't see myself drinking too much of this beer. It's not bad, but it's very different than I'm used to. Maybe that's not such a bad thing, but only time will tell. Original, and that counts for quite a bit in my book. Dogfish Head isn't scared of taking chances. You can't say that about many breweries, can you?

01-16-2009 00:53:30 | More by dancinwillie
ckeegan04

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

A - Rather clear golden honey color with a very big off-white head. Decent retention but very little lacing.

S - Sweet aroma of honey dominates with hints of chocolate. Also has a very subtle green chile aroma. Very interesting smelling brew.

T - Rather sweet initially with lots of honey and a little candy sugar. A light spice lingers underneath but is not very strong at all. The chocolate comes through with a silky smooth milk chocolate taste. Also a nice taste of nutmeg and/or allspice is present.

M/D - Medium bodied and very crisp and clean. Goes down very easy and alcohol is well masked. A very interesting brew once again from DFH. Certianl worth a try at least once.

01-12-2009 21:52:19 | More by ckeegan04
BretSikkink

Mexico

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Golden-amber color, tiny bubbles moving upwards through a light haze. Not much head, just a little white collar. Not much lacing. (The bottle cap came off too easily, I'm afriad I lost some carbonation on this one.)

The nose is fruity, a bit like grape juice. Other notes include pepper, honey, and, with warmth, a little cocoa powder.

The honey is quite clear in the flavor as well - a bit like a mead. Lots of fruit, and a little malty. Slightly nutty, with nutmeg, spicy, and a lightly sweet, white chocolate-like finish.

The mouthfeel is smooth, a little slick. Medium mouthfeel, although once again I'm thinking it's a little slicker than it ought to be. The carbonation just isn't quite there.

Very unusual, and with the power of suggestion and a little warming, each of the disparate ingredients can definitely be tasted. I don't love it, but I'm always glad to try what Dogfish Head has up its sleeve.

01-12-2009 04:13:40 | More by BretSikkink
abfraser

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Honey amber like color. No real head to speak of.

S: This smells very similar to their Midas Touch brew, which isn't a bad thing in my book. Dominant honey and floral notes

T/M: Again, I get Midas Touch. Lots of honey and floral notets. I really don't get any of the advertised chocolate or chili, which is disappointing. Has a nice balance and goes down pretty good.

D: Went down pretty easily.

I was a little disappointed with this one. If you're expecting a unique Dogfish beer, different from anything you've had, you'll probably be so too. It's a very tasty beer, but given the buzz around it, I was expecting more.

01-12-2009 01:57:37 | More by abfraser
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%

GLASS: Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

Clear, amber tinted, Golden honey colored liquid. Two-finger head of loose, off-white colored foam. Not much retention quality. Lacing is spotty, at best.

Sweet pears and tropical fruits covered in honey, then dusted with cocoa powder. Sweet almond-like smell. I can smell the chile peppers, but they are mostly buried. If I didn't know to look for them, I probably would have missed them. Swirling lightly brings out a nice bready yeast quality.

Honey covered pears and peaches. Very light hints of sweet cherries and nectarines. Nice butterey/yeasty flavors. Light almond flavor. The cocoa is so slight, it's almost not there, at all. Light spicey kick, from the chiles, at the end.

Very nice and creamy textured brew. Carbonation level is just right. Smooth.

Special occasion beer, here. Would be a great dessert beer. Too sweet and cloying to drink in quantity or frequency.

01-08-2009 20:11:50 | More by coldmeat23
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear, lightly effervescent, golden-orange body with a smallish, white head.

Smell: Coarsely chopped chile peppers smothered in an overkill amount of honey. Other notes of fragrant, over-toasted seeds, a winelike fruitiness, and last (as well as regrettably least) is cocoa. I'm sure the chocolate will wholly redeem itself in the flavor.

Taste: Spicy, heat-bringing chilies mixed with with a large enough jug of honey to make even Pooh-bear blush. Sip after sip it's never more than slightly sweet. Sadly, there's only a distant, vague, possibly even imagined hint of cocoa. The vaguely nutty annatto is, at times, slight or effusive. I'm over here biting my lip in anticipation of a cocoa return, but it's looking bleak. Meager amount of bitterness. Splash of white wine. Fleeting hint of undercooked waffles and fruit just before hitting the semi-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. Slightly sticky mouthfeel.

Drinkability: These droll historical renditions peak my interest every time and always make for a ripping good time. Chateau Jiahu was mighty fun. Didn't we have one hell of a time with Midas Touch? Though, it is true I was ready to behave like a petulant child for want of more chocolate.

01-07-2009 21:16:08 | More by ChainGangGuy
GordonQuid

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle to a freshly washed goblet. Golden honey in color with a slightly off-white head one inch sustaining with moderate "leggy" lacing. *I am thrown off considering this is suposed to be a cocoa nib/chile beer. I was expecting something darker respectively.

Smell is sweet honey biscuit. Slightly buttery and a hint of anise, nutty almond is present. I cannot detect any chocolate or raosted malt characteristics at all; which was anticipated.

Taste is that of cloying honey. Holy honey batman! A hint of anise and buttery almond is present in the finish. Very heavy sweetness. Almost too sweet to detect anything else but the sweetness of cloying honey.

Very full bodied and almost undrinkable for me. I finished my sampling respecting that this was a collaborative effort to recreate a style of beer native to the respective culture of the time. Dogfish is an excellent brewery with BIG bold tasting brews. I love Dogfish.... However I am dissapointed that this offering is lacking characteristics that are marketed by Dogfish. Coacoa nibs, chilies and anatto seems to be mising from the beer/mead. I would like to see another attempt at this brewing with more emphisis on respecting culture but yet also staying true to todays standard. Perhaps some raosted malts and new hop variety could be added. I would have rather experienced a brew with too much to offer than this dissapointing one demensional experience.

Respectfully,
-Gordon

01-05-2009 16:07:42 | More by GordonQuid
hosehead83

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

What? What is this? I was totally expectingthis to pour black or at least dark brown, what with all the talk of chocolate and cocoa on the label! Poured light golden with a fluffy white head-looks just like a lager--O.K. if they can get this to taste like the cocoa/chile beer that I'm hoping to tasteI'll be really impressed! My taste buds hit the brakes and nearly go off the road-Honey, honey, honey!! This beer is cloyingly sweet--I wait for the cocoa nibs, chiles and anatto to come around. And wait, and wait. Something touches the back of my tounge and then quickly departs-I am left baffled- something must counteract all this sweetness-My kingdom for a hop!!
I suppose that for this very unusual style of beer that the flavor is close to the mark. But for a brewer like Dogfish Head (of whose beers I usually really enjoy) this offering seemed to fall short of my expectations of their normally big, bold-flavored brews. But hey, keep makin' 'em and I'll keep tryin' 'em!

01-05-2009 01:58:47 | More by hosehead83
everetends

Alabama

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

750 ml bottle I picked up at Arbor Place Beverage in Douglassville, GA. Served up in a snifter. Lets do this.

A: With all this talk of chocolate I was expecting a black or at least rich brown color, so I was a bit thrown when I got this glowing honey colored brew pourin forth. Poured about a half finger of white head that went as quickly as it appeared. Just a slight ring of foam that sits on top and always rests on the top. The neat thing about this look is the carbonation. There must me be a ton of it because the look has the appearance of water just before it boils, with small bubbles continuously disturbing the top of this brew, making it bounce. Really neat.

S: A bit faint in this department. At first inhale you get a lot of floral scents (hops?) and a whole lot of sweet honey. There is a touch of caramel and some light fruits that I can't distinguish. There is just a faint amount of chocolate in the nose, which is dissapointing for a so called chocolate drink. No hint of chiles in the nose.

T: Taste yet again is big time honey. A lot of nice, smooth, sweet honey. Yet again, a lot of floral flavors as well. Chocolate is light, but distinguishable. Chocolate is very mild with just a tinge of flavor. Minimal chile bite on the back end but nothing crazy but that was expected when I read ancho chiles. Has a nice balance as far as flavors but is not as complex as I expected after reading the bottle.

M: Medium in body, a little lighter than expected. The crazy thing is that the 9% ABV is not at all noticable. I mean no traceof alcohol in this puppy. Carbonation is high and crisp. This beer goes down easy with a pretty clean finish for such a big beer. Aftertaste is just a touch of chile and sweet honey left on the palate.

D: Well for such a big beer, I have to give it props for going down so easily. The taste and aroma leave a little to be desired but not bad, just not that complex. Still has some decent flavor and is enjoyable. I will have zero problem finishing this 750 and that was a worry of mine. Not bad, and solid as most DFH usually is.

01-05-2009 01:41:09 | More by everetends