Theobroma - Dogfish Head Brewery

TheobromaTheobroma

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Theobroma is a celebration of chocolate, the food of the gods.

This Ancient Ale is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras that revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions.

The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1,200 B.C. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head's Theobroma (translated into "food of the gods") is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).

It's light in color, not what you expect from your typical chocolate beer (not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!).

(Beer added by: slvrmon82 on 03-21-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Theobroma Alström Bros

Golden and bubbly, with a quickly dissipating white head. Soft aroma, sweet like a Belgian golden ale.

Flavor is very, very faint. Sweet honey and the faintest -- FAINTEST -- hint of chile. Can't really taste the other ingredients, though I can sense the warmth of the chile, annato, and cocoa in the back of my throat.

Delicious and drinkable, though. I'm torn on this one -- if I didn't know what it was supposed to taste like, I'd like it a lot regardless. But I do wish the ancient ingredients were more prominent.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

"Ale brewed with honey, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ancho chilies & ground annatto."

1 pint 9.4 oz bottle poured into a snifter. pours a rich orangish-amber with a half finger of white head that dissipates quickly and leaves a soapy rim and moderate lacings.

aroma is lightly spicy, with a unique mix of caramel malts, some honey-like sweetness and a distinct herbal note that gets more complex while warming. not much chocolate in the nose, even though it is mentioned most on the bottle.

taste is lightly sweet up front with an amber-like quality and an herbal note looming in the background. the back end does carry a bit of spice from the addition of chile, gradually growing with time. the first couple sips are somewhat odd, but as the palate gets used to the flavors, the complexity opens up.

mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with a slick and silky texture and a finish of residual sticky malts and light spice from chilies.

drinkability is good. quite unique, this brew is one of the better offerings from Dogfish Head. no alcohol is present other than on the label, and the chilies impart a steady spicy note on the back end that imparts a great character to it overall. cheers!

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

P: Served out of a 750ml bottle poured into a Captain Lawrence tumbler.

A: Hazy, cloudy blood orange with plenty of carbonation and a foamy, fine, 1 finger cream head.

S: Spices and citrus freshness. Nothing much else to say here.

T: Opens very spicy and tart transitioning into a citrus taste that lingers and sweetens towards the end, at which point there is a spike in the chile taste and there is a distinct fiery sensation that is unrelated to alcohol. The taste lingers in the mouth beyond the finish.

M: Relatively coarse and very light bodied. it almost stings the inside of your cheeks and your tongue.

D: An enjoyable beer that is of a very unique style. I'm not quite sure how to rate drinkability here because I've never had anything else like it. But I'd definitely try Theobroma again.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into snifter - an inviting amber-gold with moderate carbonation, 1/4" head. This is one of the better looking beers I've had in a long time. Aroma produces strong honey overtones, floral sweetness, reminiscent of ice wine. Also getting faint traces of cocoa.

Taste is not as honeyed/sweet as the aroma lets on, but it's not dry by any means. Cocoa & chile are scarcely noticeable until the finish, where a nice subtle bitterness comes out. From taste alone I'm not sure I'd categorize this as a chile beer; it's just not really in the same vein as some of the more spice-centric brews out there. But if that is the appropriate categorization, I can't imagine a more approachable yet interesting variant out there.

I still don't understand the controversy around DFH. They are, to my mind, deservedly praised for branching out and making interesting/unusual offerings. This is one of their best.

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Can't go wrong with a Dogfish brew, can you? Served this chilled, in a pint glass ( yes a regular old pint glass, from a brown 750ml bottle.

Appearance: Theobroma pours out a bright golden like color with some copper highlights. I honestly thought this was going to be a darker colored beer. A somewhat hard pour resulted in about a finger of loose, soapy, off-white head that was very short lived. Head faded into a thin skim coat of foam that left behind almost no lace. Noticing some active carbonation bubbles rising to the top of the glass.

Smell: Not a very strong nose in my opinion. Picking up an almost flowery aroma, and plenty of honey. Not getting a bit of chocolate. Smells sweet and bready.

Taste: Not the real huge flavor I was expecting from a Dogfish Head beer. Sweet and spicey is what comes to mind. Nice bready malt. The honey is definitely noticed. Also getting a slightly spicey note that I am assuming is the Ancho Chilies and ground annatto. Just the slightest bit of warmth in the finish from the well hidden nine percent ABV. Not too bad.

Mouthfeel: A somewhat thin, medium bodied mouthfeel. Carbonation is on the lighter side.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink brew in my opinion. Again not exactly the beer I was expecting, but I applaud DFH for a beer that isn't over the top.

Appears an apricot sunshine copper hue with a large quickly dwindling off white head. There goes the end of my positive attributes, no lacing here. WTF, did I buy this beer?

Horrible beer experience, why would this beer bring the hype I thought I was excited about this but little did I realize that most of the new DFH beers in recent past besides Palo Santo Marron have sucked balls. I like extreme and big but between this and a beer like Sah'tea, wtf is Sam and company thinking. I do think outside the box when it comes to booze and flavor, recently Bocktown in the Burgh had Woodchuck cider on tap with chai tea that worked so well even after multiple beer heads hated on the creation. I was able to enjoy it, I love chai tea but this tastes like a continuous burn of chili powder cloying honey with bittering spices that should induce a coma. The other ingredients named on the label include honey, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ancho chilies and ground annatto. I've drank Midas Touch since the days of clear 750ml bottles, I love chateau however the fuck you pronounce that beer along with a tolerable admiration for Black and Blue and Red and White, but this is an abomination and I've heard to steer clear of the Sah'tea along with the recent big bottled Squall IPA. Pretty bad when your ex brewer who works at Otter Creek is brewing better Mud Bock than your current specialties. I must say I never thought I would taste a beer this bad from DFH, I loved the initial bottling of 90 Min with the guy hammering a nail into one of his nares. This brew opened up my eyes like never before, I can't believe it this beer sucks I can't put it into beautiful or poetic words, please never brew this rainforest creation ever again. BTW, is your palate dead how has this beer remained up in the ratings as a better brew from DFH. Believe me I vacationed at Rehoboth when I graduated school just to get closer to the source this is not the typical brew, but I don't feel I should water down their shortcomings. A cloying mess of a beer with sweet honey and burning chilies fuck that, I want good beer. I like Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili beer more than this pure shite. Not overly spicy just a powdered offness from all of the spice additions coming to the party. Hand me a Natty Ice to wipe this flavor out of my mouth!!!

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

Got this in a trade with chefmikeanderson, cheers mike!

09 Vintage pours an effervescent apricot with 1+ finger of cream colored head, dropping away quickly...

S: Apricot & banana??, plus a bit of white pepper once warm. Average head retention 7 lacing

T: Fruittyness, bananas, a touch of chile powder, plus dryness up front. More banana, plus a bit of chile powder warmth, once warm, hints of candi sugar & a touch of toffee. Finishes fruitty, doughy, with red pepper sting on the top & tip of the tongue, dry with hits of lemon & more banana. Complexity helps this pull a 4.0

MF: Medium bodied, smooth carbonation & somewhat chewy

Drinks alright for the ABV, I appreciate what DFH was shooting for here, but this isn't a great chile beer by today's standards. Got better it warmed way up, but still not great...I'm sure this would've been in my top 3 beers list 3000+ years ago...

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

750ml bottle poured into goblet.

a- Somewhat hazy golden-orange with a thin white head that quickly diminishes. Left some lacing around the glass.

s- Smells primarily of honey. Some light spice (nutmeg like). No detection of chocolate or chili.

t- Several layers of flavor. Honey first, followed by a slight cocoa favor at the finish. The chili/pepper flavor comes through a few seconds later in your throat and on the back of the tongue. At first this was difficult to differentiate from the 9% alcohol. Cocoa flavors come through more as the beer warms up a bit. However, based on the description of this beer, I expected the cocoa flavor to be stronger.

m- Medium bodied. Little carbonation, prickliness comes from spice. Peppery spice lingers.

d- This was another unique offering from Dogfish Head. I found it to be a sipper. Liked it, but probably would not immediately seek it out again.

4.3/5  rDev +11.4%

Opened with enough "ziss" to convince, but then there's hardly any head and despite all the bubbles rushing to the top, there's still zero head. Looks a bit dead, although the color itself is lovely: orange-blossom honey and peachy/rust in hue(s).

The aroma is easily one of the Top 10 most unique I've ever smelled on a beer. A faintly medicinal edge gives way to honey and, from what I've read of annatto, I can isolate that as well ("slightly peppery with a hint of nutmeg" sayeth Wiki). Not really getting the chocolate/cocoa, and instead there's a rush of alcohol-soaked pear/peach. A tough aroma to summarize, but certainly one that is pleasurable, sensual and exotic.

The flavor is absolutely wonderful. I've been turned off by every chile beer I've ever had, but the use of chile pepper here is kept to a subtle layer, permeating the also subtle cocoa elements and the more prominent honey sweetness. The alcohol aids in the delivery of the spicy element, and that does a lot also for the unbelievably well-incorporated and milky sweet cocoa flavor, which opens up and almost becomes the feature of the beer after several sips and some warming. A chile pepper heat lays on the tongue in the finish, just enough heat to feel it yet it overpowers nothing, thankfully. All these factors--honey, chile and cocoa--are balanced and synchronized about as well as can be expected from such an unusual recipe.

With the lack of any head or foam, it's no surprise the texture of Theobroma is mostly smooth and slick. There's a little bit of carbonation, and it seems slightly sticky, but ultimately it's a politely slick texture that glides right off the tongue and down the throat.

It can't really even be called a chile beer. Theobroma is...Theobroma. I would think any progressive beer drinker who appreciates wild creativity that deftly balances craft and respect for beer would thoroughly enjoy this. And that pretty much describes the whole Dogfish Head ethic, too. Long may they stretch and redefine beer paradigms.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 24 oz bottle into a goblet. Appears a sickly yellowish brown. Little bone white head is gone in no time.
Smell is very light, has an odd well-water smell to it.
The beer had a unique taste to it, a light maltyness, hints of cocoa powder. Sweet but not cloying. At the very end there is an ever so slight lingering spicey pepper finish.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and has that hot pepper burn like after eating buffalo wings.
I found this one highly drinkable, especially for a Chile Beer. Unique and definately worth trying.

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours with a golden amber color and very little head. Not a very strong aroma, with a tiny bit of sweetness to it. The taste, however, is very complex and strongly spiced. First comes a sweetness of honey with a strong hint of the cocoa flavor near the end of the drink. The chile hotness lingers a bit in the throat after each drink and confuses the alcohol bite. The beer has a full, solid body that is easy to drink with just the right amount of carbonation: excellent mouthfeel and great drinkability. A very different brew and quite tasty as well.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Not much head or lacing. Lighter than expected with the cocoa, but it was a dark orange.

S - Smelled the chilli spiciness.

T - Less cocoa flavor than expected which was quite pleasant. The description and other reviews scared me but this actually tasted like a good brew with just some additives. The spiciness wasn't overwhelming but definitely dominated my taste buds. The maltiness was a good heavy amount here.

M - Could have used a high carbonation to bring out all of those interesting flavors, but it was still good.

D - Just the once was good with me. I split this 3 ways and that was just about right.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Very nice heavy bottle, over 25oz and at 9% it's the only beer I needed this evening.

Poured an Orange/Amber with a small head that dissapeared very quickly.

Smelled of honey and spices. Since it is brewed with ancho chillies and annatto, a slightly peppery nutmeg kind of spice. It also gives the beer it's red/orange tinge.

The taste was mainly honey at first finishing with the nutmegy annatto, I enjoyed every drop. As it warmed the flavours became more pronounced as well as the aromas.

Light sweet mouthfeel with some syrupiness feel on the tongue when it warmed more.

A very good sipping beer that I have had before but am glad I tried again.

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a smallish white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is some sweet malts, and spices - spicy cinnamon and tea.

The flavor is sweet malts with a little fruit and honey leading to a spicy (hot) cinnamon finish (red hots). It is a bit plasticy in the aftertaste, but warming from the spices and alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation.

Overall, one of the more interesting spicy/chile beers I've had. I really love the background on these Dogfish beers - it brings out the geek in me.

2.9/5  rDev -24.9%

2009 release; Sampled August 2009
A vigorous pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a four-finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer is a rich copper color that shows a brilliantly clear, copper-gold color when held up to the light. The aroma has such a clean malt character to it that it smells like candied maltose; fairly sweet and a bit cloying in its simplicity, I seem to get this in a lot of Dogfish Heads stronger beers, a sort of house character. This has quite a bit of fruitiness to it, it reminds me of concentrated pears, green apple, a touch of honeydew melon and some green raisin notes. There is a touch of an artificial smell to the nose, not quite chemical like, but it is something that I can't quite place; perhaps it is a touch of herbal honey character mixed with some phenolic fermentation character. Despite the complex promise of the ingredients, the nose ends up being fairly simplistic and completely lacking in the interesting ingredient list.

Soft and creamy feeling up front, the beer picks up a light prickle of carbonation as it moves across the tongue. The cocoa nibs / powder are non-existent at first, but then a faint, white-chocolate like note starts to creep in towards the finish. The finish has that sort of phenolic, chemical like note to it that I noticed in the nose. A touch of bitterness is barely noticeable and doesn't do much to balance the sweetness. There is perhaps a hint of spice / chile heat to the finish; it isn't noticeable until a couple seconds after the beer has left my mouth, and it is incredibly subtle (though it might be more noticeable to someone that doesn't enjoy spicy food as much as I do). The sweetness reminds me of honey with an herbal bite, bad apple juice with a chemical aftertaste, and some sulfurous green raisins. While the sweetness isn't overly excessive here, the lack of balancing bitterness or spice in this beer tends to make this beer lean towards the cloying side of the spectrum.

I was really excited to try this beer as the promise of a mix of cocoa, ancho chiles and ground annatto sounds really exciting, unfortunately both the aroma and flavor are almost devoid of these. The flavor does have the cocoa, and there is a touch of spice in the finish, but both are pretty tame. My expectations of this beer were a bit too much I think, I still think these ingredients could come up with a much more interesting beer. Unfortunately I didn't really enjoy this beer all that much.

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

Pours a pretty orange gold with a medium head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is sweet honey with undertones of dark chocolate. Subtle chile and fruit notes. Taste is slightly sweet at first. Honey again. Chiles in the middle add just a slight amount of heat. Dark chocolate in the finish. Finishes dry with a bit of noticeable alcohol. Very tasty. Complex but everything blends together nicely and no single flavor dominates. Full bodied and pretty drinkable especially considering its strength and uniqueness. A very good and very interesting beer.

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Pours an interesting burnt orange color with fizzy white head that dissipates pretty quickly. Not a whole lot of lacing on the glass.

The scent is spicy, with a bit of tart fruitiness to the smell. Some pear to it, not really picking up on any of the listed ingredients other than the honey. Hope this changes as it warms up. It does smell really freaking good though.

The words that came out of my mouth after the first were "HOLY CRAP!" This beer is as complex as they come. Cocoa, honey, chile, all of it, combine to form this insane flavor profile. The pear/apple from the nose comes in and blends perfectly but the cocoa steals the show from start to finish.

The beer is medium bodied, with thin but very present carbonation. Very easy to drink, I want to buy another bottle for the winter however.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

As a student of archaeology I love that DFH does these "historical" interpretation of ancient ales that I have only studied in an Academic setting.
Color: A cloudy beer with a strong blonde color with almost a hint of red in the right light. While not bubbly in the glass, it is very effervescent on the tongue.
Smell: I really get a strong hint of honey and spice on the nose. It reminds me of almost of a Belgian style.
Taste: Wow! This beer is really spicy. I get little hints of bananas and chocolate in the beginning but all I taste at the end is the chilies. It really lingers in the mouth and on the next sip I only get the chilies. Maybe because I do not eat a lot of spicy food I really get that spice, but I think I like it.
Mouthfeel: All I feel in the mouth is the heat of the chilies. This beer feels like it is a lightly burning in the back of my throat. Have never had anything like this in a beer it reminded me of a chocolate dipped chili or even mole sauce.
Drinkability: Like I said before I love these historical beers. I really enjoyed trying this beer but I do not think I will go out of my way to drink it again. It reminded me very much of a Belgian style while I am more of a bitter hoppy kinda gal.
Keep making these windows into history DFH. They are weird but a lot of fun.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

I have been looking forward to trying this beer since I first heard about it. It finally arrived here in Gainesville,FL.

Poured into a small tulip glass lighter in color than I expected. Given the chocolate nibs & peppers I thought it would be darker.

I couldnt reallly taste much of the pepper however my wife could right away. She didnt drink it straight from the bottle though. The more I had the more I could taste the heat of the pepper & the chocolate.But neither were overpowering. Honestly it reminded me of the Midas Touch only a little stronger. I enjoyed it & would buy it again.

2.6/5  rDev -32.6%

From Notes nearly 6 weeks old. Man have I been busy...

Had on tap at the Shep.

When I saw this classified as a chile beer my stomach sort of retracted. I've never ventured into such unfamiliar territory. The beer that founds its way to me on the bar wasn't frightening, though.

Pour is a nice light amber with a small foamy white head capping the brew. This beer smells and tastes very interesting...

It's sweet and spicy all at once. Smells of honey and spices come through. The taste, while interesting, wasn't enjoyable for me. I struggled to finish my glass. The cocoa makes its presence known, as does a little bit of a kick from the chile. There's a sweet honey presence as well.

I guess this is simply a case of "one mans trash is..." I'm a big DFH fan but this one won't be passing my lips again anytime soon.

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%

The beer is a pretty, tawny-copper color, and cloudy, with a barely existent head of small white foam bottles. It smells sharp, reminding me of a citrusy wheat beer, and JD thinks that it smells a little like fresh mowed grass, too.

It tastes both sweet and sour in the mouth, with the chocolate coming in as an aftertaste. Its mouthfeel is fairly thin and light. I'll admit, there's more going on than I can really get at, but I can taste a bit of a ginger flavor, . The warming flavor from the chilies adds a nice kick that balances out the sourness, and I'm guessing the sweetness is from the honey. After a bit, the chile starts to crowd the other flavors out.

The chili leaves a warm burn in the back of the throat that I like--a nice kick since, at 9%ABV it's got alcohol but not enough to be reaaaallly warming. Overall, I like it! But I don't love it. For the price, would not buy again--but it's definitely interesting enough that I'd recommend picking it up at least once.

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Appearance- Nice amber color with a whitish head.

Smell- Definite spice aromas and a strong scent of honey.

Taste- This is where I started to falter. The honey, I felt, was overpowering. While the spices and, to a lesser extent, the cocoa were pleasant in and of themselves I didn't feel that there was enough of a balance. Not exactly what I was expecting after reading the description on the label. I expected a lot more chocolate flavors.

Mouthfeel- Not bad overall but the honey gave it a sticky, cloying quality in my opinion.

Drinkability- Could be good in small doses. I don't recommend drinking the whole think on your own. I found the honey to be a bit too much.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

Very unique. I was definitely more interested in trying Theobroma because of the history behind it, rather than the actual beverage.

A) Pretty peach-colored. No foam or lacing. Hazy; kind of an orange-ish apple juice.

S) Mild. I was getting over a cold, which may have affected this. The chile was the most prominent smell, but not at all overbearing. Mild cocoa.

T) Very interesting. Like nothing else I've tried. Starts sweet - malty, honey, cocoa but the spices (chile and annatto) come out. As it warms the spices become more prominant. I feel the hot chile in my stomach, not in an unpleasant way. Reminiscent of cinnamon. Not as chocolatey as one might think - this was actually bitter and subtle.

MF) Medium to full. Fairly carbonated despite the lack of foam.

D) Good for a sipping beverage. I enjoyed one wine-glass full for an hour and a half. And that was enough. 9%ABV.

Truly "off-centered" - I am happy I got to try this, but do not feel the need to go out of my way to try it again.

1.83/5  rDev -52.6%

"Bottled in 2009"

Pours a nice red in color, a hue I haven't seen in beer before, with no head, though it is carbonated.

A light aroma of spices and cocoa.

The cocoa is detectible in the flavor, along with a mild amount of chile heat and flavor. There are also weird vegetable flavors that are not that pleasant. Noticeable alcohol flavors and dryness. The more I drink of this the worse it tastes, actually.

This beer just doesn't do it for me, and it hurts me to give a bad review to a beer from such a great brewery.

This is the least distinguished (a polite way to say "worst") Dogfish Head beer. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

After drinking more of this (perhaps eight ounces total) I was getting a bad feeling in my stomach and did something I've never done before: I poured the rest of the glass down the drain.

Avoid this beer.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

I had this on tap at Trappeze in Athens,Ga.
The color was a vibrant orange -red with a modest
head retention. The nose had fresh coco and a spicy note. The taste was very well balanced the hops and coco work well together and the malt backbone was there as a perfect suppporting actor. The finish creeps up on you the spicy pepper hits slowly then get hotter the longer you wait for the next sip!! This brew would match well with spicy Asian food.

Theobroma from Dogfish Head Brewery