Theobroma - Dogfish Head Brewery

TheobromaTheobroma

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Theobroma is a celebration of chocolate, the food of the gods.

This Ancient Ale is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras that revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions.

The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1,200 B.C. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head's Theobroma (translated into "food of the gods") is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).

It's light in color, not what you expect from your typical chocolate beer (not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!).

(Beer added by: slvrmon82 on 03-21-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Theobroma Alström Bros
4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

A: Honey amber like color. No real head to speak of.

S: This smells very similar to their Midas Touch brew, which isn't a bad thing in my book. Dominant honey and floral notes

T/M: Again, I get Midas Touch. Lots of honey and floral notets. I really don't get any of the advertised chocolate or chili, which is disappointing. Has a nice balance and goes down pretty good.

D: Went down pretty easily.

I was a little disappointed with this one. If you're expecting a unique Dogfish beer, different from anything you've had, you'll probably be so too. It's a very tasty beer, but given the buzz around it, I was expecting more.

abfraser, Jan 12, 2009

GLASS: Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 50 degrees

Clear, amber tinted, Golden honey colored liquid. Two-finger head of loose, off-white colored foam. Not much retention quality. Lacing is spotty, at best.

Sweet pears and tropical fruits covered in honey, then dusted with cocoa powder. Sweet almond-like smell. I can smell the chile peppers, but they are mostly buried. If I didn't know to look for them, I probably would have missed them. Swirling lightly brings out a nice bready yeast quality.

Honey covered pears and peaches. Very light hints of sweet cherries and nectarines. Nice butterey/yeasty flavors. Light almond flavor. The cocoa is so slight, it's almost not there, at all. Light spicey kick, from the chiles, at the end.

Very nice and creamy textured brew. Carbonation level is just right. Smooth.

Special occasion beer, here. Would be a great dessert beer. Too sweet and cloying to drink in quantity or frequency.

coldmeat23, Jan 08, 2009
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a clear, lightly effervescent, golden-orange body with a smallish, white head.

Smell: Coarsely chopped chile peppers smothered in an overkill amount of honey. Other notes of fragrant, over-toasted seeds, a winelike fruitiness, and last (as well as regrettably least) is cocoa. I'm sure the chocolate will wholly redeem itself in the flavor.

Taste: Spicy, heat-bringing chilies mixed with with a large enough jug of honey to make even Pooh-bear blush. Sip after sip it's never more than slightly sweet. Sadly, there's only a distant, vague, possibly even imagined hint of cocoa. The vaguely nutty annatto is, at times, slight or effusive. I'm over here biting my lip in anticipation of a cocoa return, but it's looking bleak. Meager amount of bitterness. Splash of white wine. Fleeting hint of undercooked waffles and fruit just before hitting the semi-dry finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. Slightly sticky mouthfeel.

Drinkability: These droll historical renditions peak my interest every time and always make for a ripping good time. Chateau Jiahu was mighty fun. Didn't we have one hell of a time with Midas Touch? Though, it is true I was ready to behave like a petulant child for want of more chocolate.

ChainGangGuy, Jan 07, 2009
2.38/5  rDev -38.2%

Poured from a 750ml bottle to a freshly washed goblet. Golden honey in color with a slightly off-white head one inch sustaining with moderate "leggy" lacing. *I am thrown off considering this is suposed to be a cocoa nib/chile beer. I was expecting something darker respectively.

Smell is sweet honey biscuit. Slightly buttery and a hint of anise, nutty almond is present. I cannot detect any chocolate or raosted malt characteristics at all; which was anticipated.

Taste is that of cloying honey. Holy honey batman! A hint of anise and buttery almond is present in the finish. Very heavy sweetness. Almost too sweet to detect anything else but the sweetness of cloying honey.

Very full bodied and almost undrinkable for me. I finished my sampling respecting that this was a collaborative effort to recreate a style of beer native to the respective culture of the time. Dogfish is an excellent brewery with BIG bold tasting brews. I love Dogfish.... However I am dissapointed that this offering is lacking characteristics that are marketed by Dogfish. Coacoa nibs, chilies and anatto seems to be mising from the beer/mead. I would like to see another attempt at this brewing with more emphisis on respecting culture but yet also staying true to todays standard. Perhaps some raosted malts and new hop variety could be added. I would have rather experienced a brew with too much to offer than this dissapointing one demensional experience.

Respectfully,
-Gordon

GordonQuid, Jan 05, 2009
2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

What? What is this? I was totally expectingthis to pour black or at least dark brown, what with all the talk of chocolate and cocoa on the label! Poured light golden with a fluffy white head-looks just like a lager--O.K. if they can get this to taste like the cocoa/chile beer that I'm hoping to tasteI'll be really impressed! My taste buds hit the brakes and nearly go off the road-Honey, honey, honey!! This beer is cloyingly sweet--I wait for the cocoa nibs, chiles and anatto to come around. And wait, and wait. Something touches the back of my tounge and then quickly departs-I am left baffled- something must counteract all this sweetness-My kingdom for a hop!!
I suppose that for this very unusual style of beer that the flavor is close to the mark. But for a brewer like Dogfish Head (of whose beers I usually really enjoy) this offering seemed to fall short of my expectations of their normally big, bold-flavored brews. But hey, keep makin' 'em and I'll keep tryin' 'em!

hosehead83, Jan 05, 2009
3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

750 ml bottle I picked up at Arbor Place Beverage in Douglassville, GA. Served up in a snifter. Lets do this.

A: With all this talk of chocolate I was expecting a black or at least rich brown color, so I was a bit thrown when I got this glowing honey colored brew pourin forth. Poured about a half finger of white head that went as quickly as it appeared. Just a slight ring of foam that sits on top and always rests on the top. The neat thing about this look is the carbonation. There must me be a ton of it because the look has the appearance of water just before it boils, with small bubbles continuously disturbing the top of this brew, making it bounce. Really neat.

S: A bit faint in this department. At first inhale you get a lot of floral scents (hops?) and a whole lot of sweet honey. There is a touch of caramel and some light fruits that I can't distinguish. There is just a faint amount of chocolate in the nose, which is dissapointing for a so called chocolate drink. No hint of chiles in the nose.

T: Taste yet again is big time honey. A lot of nice, smooth, sweet honey. Yet again, a lot of floral flavors as well. Chocolate is light, but distinguishable. Chocolate is very mild with just a tinge of flavor. Minimal chile bite on the back end but nothing crazy but that was expected when I read ancho chiles. Has a nice balance as far as flavors but is not as complex as I expected after reading the bottle.

M: Medium in body, a little lighter than expected. The crazy thing is that the 9% ABV is not at all noticable. I mean no traceof alcohol in this puppy. Carbonation is high and crisp. This beer goes down easy with a pretty clean finish for such a big beer. Aftertaste is just a touch of chile and sweet honey left on the palate.

D: Well for such a big beer, I have to give it props for going down so easily. The taste and aroma leave a little to be desired but not bad, just not that complex. Still has some decent flavor and is enjoyable. I will have zero problem finishing this 750 and that was a worry of mine. Not bad, and solid as most DFH usually is.

everetends, Jan 05, 2009
3.85/5  rDev 0%

A- Slightly hazy golden color with a nice crystal ball effect. The head is white and very creamy looking that leaves very nice lacing.

S- Very unique smelling. My first impression is peanut butter and grape jelly. But upon delving further into it, I get cocoa, chilies, white grape juice, honey, and more that I have trouble placing. Very complex and appealing.

T- Wow... this is really different. I had to shake my head upon my first taste of this. The more I got into this, the better it got. Has a huge white grape juice flavor to it, some earthiness, honey, and a slight spiciness from the chilies. This is one of the oddest beers I have ever drank, but it is pretty tasty. The alcohol is not apparent at all.

M- The carbonation is good, but it leaves a kind of odd aftertaste in the mouth.

D- A very unique beer that is worth a try. But find a friend to share this with, it is just a bit on the odd side.

david131, Jan 03, 2009
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 9/30/08. Rating #600!! Bottle. Pours a surprising light orange with a thick, foamy white head. Aroma of light fruit, honeysuckle, and a hint of cocoa. Quite sweet and inviting. Flavor is similar with lots of sweetness and honey and a spicy chile finish that leaves my mouth and throat feeling hot. Not much of a cocoa presence though, other than a slight tinge of cocoa powder. Very smooth. A unique beer for sure but the flavor is a little lacking. Quite a sweet beer and yeah, the alcohol does catch up to you!
7/4/7/4/15 (3.7/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 27, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a crystal clear deep golden amber color with a minimal head that dissipates quickly. Smells of chocolate and sweet malts. A bit of honey and the chile peppers come through as it warms. Tastes a bit vinous. I pick up chocolate and caramel, honey, a weird spice that I assume is annatto. The peppers come through a bit as it warms but they are really faint. Thick syrupy body and mouthfeel. Light carbonation. Very interesting brew that is quite complex. I expected more chocolate and peppers. This is a beer I'm glad I tried, but probably wouldn't seek out again.

johnnnniee, Dec 26, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours flat. A dark mead, crystal clear. Minimal carbonation accompanied by light scent. Aroma of honey covered apples. Initially hits honey, dry mead. A space is reserved for flowers with white petals. Then the chilies go, reminiscent of Mexican food, followed by a touch of cocoa. A special offering to be admired and a worthy contribution to the illumination of the sacred ales of the past. Can simplicity be confused for complexity? Of course, and in the simplicity a window of exceptional ale is revealed.

SeanRedd, Dec 26, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a dark honey hue with small fleeting white head. A very distinct aroma of honey, lemon zest, pomegranate and chilies. Light in body and flavorful until the end. Notes of spiced honey, floral, lemon zest, chilies toward the finish and a splash of chocolate syrup that hides behind the other ingredients like a shy child behind a parent. A great drink for any season and could accompany many desserts like a flan or even an apple pie. There's a great balance of sweets and sour in this brew that could confuse your head for a while but after indulging in this decadence it becomes clear that there is no beer like this in the world.

JRed, Dec 26, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

A very good experiment from dogfish head and one I wouldn't mind having regularly. Not nearly as outlandish as it's ingredients would have you believe with only a light hint of the chili peppers and chocolate. Tastes a little boozy a first but goes down easier as you go along. I only wish they had smaller bottles.

sonicdescent, Dec 25, 2008
3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle: Pours golden with small floaties suspended in the brew. The head dissipates fast and there is a little lacing left. Aroma is sweet, spice and a little fruity. Fairly dull on the palate, the carbonation is non existant, but still thick enough to not be watery. Flavor is different. I can taste chilis, honey, and spice. Not really hot but the flavor of chili is there. Not getting any cocoa though. I can drink this beer but I have no desire to get it again.

mbrasi, Dec 22, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +19%

Capped 750 mL bottle, awesome label, purchased from Abe's in Bethlehem for $10.50.

Pours a clear golden orange with a modest white head that sports moderate retention and lacing. I happened to drink this with a friend while watching the beer episode of HowStuffWorks that focused on DFH and Theobroma in particular. They explained that the reddish color was important to symbolize the blood of the human sacrifices that would be given an alcoholic chocolate beverage mixed with the blood of previous sacrifices to give them courage. The appearance, then, is very successful. It looks like a bit of blood mixed with honey. And it is not nearly as gross as that all sounds.

The nose definately sports the ingredients listed on the label. Honey sweetness, subtle cocoa powder, restrained hot pepper. I am not familiar with annatto seeds, so I can't really comment. This beer smells very good and isn't the bruiser that one would expect from a chocolate/chile/annatto/honey beer.

Taste follows the smell. The honey makes it taste sweet without being sweet. It is fairly dry, the chili isn't as forward as I would like--it could use a bit more but too little isn't as bad as too much. I really like this beer. The alcohol isn't noticeable at all.

The most noticeable thing about the mouthfeel is how clean the finish is. With all of those different ingredients I expected it to linger, burn, or something but it doesn't. The body is medium light, ample carbonation, no complaints.

The drinkability of this one is excellent. I could have easily and gladly finished a whole 750 by myself, which isn't something I would normally say about such a big beer. It shows both courage and restraint. A real work of genius from Sam and DFH brewery.

wheelinshirt, Dec 20, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -7%

Have to say, I was thoroughly interested before buying this. But would have passed knowing what really lied behind this brew. I had the option between this or DFHs World Wide Stout. Wish I would have bought the stout.

A: Expected brown (chocolate) but received a beautiful honey color. No other way to describe it. Nice head and lacing that fades after a bit.

S: Pilsner-like. Eh, lots of wheat overtones and hard to pick out anything it describes. Not much at all and what I do smell I dont like. Maybe some faint chile but that may be the imagination.

T: Smooth with a bite. The bite might very well be the chile peppers seeping through. White muscat grape, honey with just a pinch of spice. The chocolate is very light and the farthest thing from entertaining. As it is faint, the chocolate is an obvious dark bitter bakers chocolate flavor. Although the chile is nearly unnoticeable in the taste or smell it is most obvious in the ructus relieving itself through the nose and mouth. No real obvious hop or malt character to it. None the less unimpressed with the flavor administered by this beer.

M: The carbonation compliments all flavors but dont let it fool you into thinking there is more to it than what is there. Smooth and inviting but never pays up.

D: Not bad, just like the rest of the beer, just nothing special. Finishing the wine like bottle tonight (trying to) to erase the 15 bucks I spent on it and move forward. But would do that either way.

Overall: For Dogfish Head standards, and standards that Sam himself has set with other incredible beers, this ranks in the "probably wont buy again" category and one you wouldnt be bragging about to your buddies. If you are thinking about buying it and are in love with Sams other beauties like Indian Brown Ale, Palo Santo Marron, 90 Minute IPA, Punkin Ale, Midas Touch or Raison D'Extra, this might not be your brew. This doesnt explode, not to say explosion is always good, but doesnt even meet the silent killer category.

AMoceri7, Dec 20, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

pours a semi-hazy orange with a small egg-shell head, fizzy, some lacing.

smell is of white pepper, malt, some honey.

taste is creamy at first then becomes thin, spice, malt, honey, wood, and some cocoa.

overall i dont get the chili at all, but the cocoa is present in small quantities, the flavors do go well together one not overpowering the other.

froghop, Dec 17, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured a deep brown with very small. Smell was sweet with raison and maple syrup overtones. Taste was sweet and the hney flavor is most dominant did not detect any chile at all. After it warmed up a bit the spice came thru somewhat. OVerall a good brew and nice for sipping on a cold night

joeack, Dec 16, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +19%

Quite possibly the best tasting beer that I have ever had.

Appearance - A medium to light brown haze. It pours a two finger head but it didn't last long. The lacing remained on the glass throughout.

Smell - Hints of chili and chocolate.

Taste - At first I was overwhelmed by the chocolate taste which then changed to a sweet and spicy flavor. The aftertaste left you wanting another sip.

Mouthfeel - It was nicely carbonated and light in the mouth.

Drinkability - I could easily drink this all night. I had one then switched to another beer but found myself craving another and quickly switched back. Ended up having four by the end of the night. With the high abv I obviously was feeling good after four.

tsreynolds, Dec 11, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

I was very pleased to actually find this beer and moreover happy to have gotten to drink it.

A- Pours a golden brown with a nice amount of head that dissipates at an above average rate.

S- Has unique sweet smell of honey but it is not overwhelming, you can also smell the cocoa and chili pepper if you are careful.

T- This is truly unique I was able to taste the both the cocoa and the chili peppers. A slight bitterness at first but the flavors come out as soon as I began to swallow. All the flavors seem to balance with each other very well.

F- Smooth and creamy but don't be fooled, this beer is still 9% by volume and its above average body is quite noticeable. The light carbonation however makes those strong characteristics ever so right.

D- This beer is quite good but after all too much of a good thing can happen. I could see the unusual flavors and high alcohol becoming less and less favorable if you were to drink multiple bottles in one sitting.

DFH seems to have found a very unique style and I look forward to the next batch this summer.

Bigeter, Dec 10, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This is one of the reasons why we love Dogfish Head - high-concept beers like this one. I speak of beers that not only function as drinkable beers, but also as conversation pieces at the dinner table. There are several such examples, but few have engendered in me as much anticipation as Theobroma. I've been waiting. I finally found it, nestled scatter-shot amongst the other large bottles at my local liquor store.

I won't speak of the retail price. I'll just say that it wasn't at all cheap, even by Dogfish Head big beer standards.

Searching for an appropriate drinking vessel, I pulled out my Chimay chalice. A careful pour yielded about a thumbnail of thin, rapidly-dissipating foam that leaves behind little to no lacing. Held to the light, the body glows orange-red.

The nose is reminiscent of those Keebler chocolate-covered wafers I used to like as a kid. Another deep inhalation gives me some spice-bread Belgian-esque yeast aromas. As the beer warms, I begin to pick up some ancho chile pepper, slightly smoky and rustic. It's a strong, unique aroma. Is it a chocolate beer? A chile beer? Or perhaps some leftfield Fantome-type saison interpretation, with the kitchen sink thrown in for good measure?

Oddly enough, the first thing I notice about this beer upon my palate is some sort of tree nut, like a pine nut. That must be the annatto talking. It's quite nutty, upon first impression. If I didn't know it was annatto I'm tasting, I'd swear this was brewed with pine nuts. The beer warms, and the other flavors begin to reveal themselves. A strong cacao flavor asserts itself - I don't know that I've tasted such a raw, high-quality dark chocolate in a beer before. Warming further, the ancho chile contributes a little burn, while the not-overly-sweet honey helps tie these flavor components together. I almost forgot that this was 9% ABV, but the alcohol is there, buried way underneath, should you wish to go looking for it.

Have you ever had Dagoba organic chocolate bars? If not, search them out. They make one with a very high percentage cacao content from Mesoamerican beans, spiked with chile peppers. This beer reminds me a whole lot of that chocolate bar...and that is a good thing.

Feel-wise, there is a quick bite of carbonation that releases to a slightly viscous consistency. This seems appropriate - I don't think I'd want this to be a saison-like explosion of carbonation.

I didn't want to share this, and you won't, either....at least not your first bottle. More than likely, you'll want to pay attention and savor every drop of the unique contents within this 750ml bottle. In the sense that it has kept me interested, making me write this lengthy review, drinkability is good. In the sense that it is more expensive than most top-shelf Belgians, drinkability stinks. However, this "beer" is good enough that I will be buying another bottle, price be damned. You simply have to appreciate the quality ingredients, research, and execution that went into a drink like this.

Patrick999, Dec 09, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours an amber color with a reddish tint to it and two inches of dense light beige head. Head settles slowly but eventually leaves just a thin lace and not a whole lot of stick.

Smell is quite sweet, with lots of honey in particular. Other than that there is some smoky pepper and earthiness. Interesting woodsy aroma, as well. I can definitely tell there are peppers in this as they have a nice smokiness to them. I don't really get much cocoa that stands out on its own, but it's a nice complement to the peppers.

Taste is not as sweet as the smell, but still has a nice honey sweetness - it just never gets bothersome or even close to cloying. There's also a lot more depth of flavor than there was smell. The other main flavors are a sweet and smoky flavor that is also somewhat earthy and woodsy - products of both the peppers and the cocoa, which really complement each other nicely. There is really only a very subtle spice, and the peppers overall taste a bit like a mild version of a chipotle. Very interesting flavor.

This is a medium body, and the feel is very smooth. Carbonation is pretty light, and it finishes clean.

This is one of the most interesting brews I've had in a long time. I like it. It's very different, and a really cool idea by DFH. This is definitely something that every beer geek should try. Pick it up.

number1bum, Dec 05, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

(Finally entering this from notes taken at Sunset Grill on 10/5/08.)

Poured from 750mL bottle into tulip glass.

Appearance - Pours an amber color with fine bubbles and two fingers of dense, off-white foam.

Smell - Honey, sweet, floral.

Taste - Bitter hops at first, with a mead-like honey taste in the middle. The chili spice is evident in the finish, but very mild, building on the palate over time. Chocolate is hard to detect.

Mouthfeel - Round and medium-bodied.

Drinkability - Alcohol is well hidden in the taste, but one glass lends a healthy buzz. Flavorful, but a bit taxing to finish off a full bottle. (Having subsequently shared two other bottles, I can say that this is much better enjoyed one glass in a sitting.)

trbergman, Dec 02, 2008
3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. 12/01/08.

Pours a clear golden orange color with nearly three fingers of beige head. The head slowly dropped to a thin layer. Aroma is mostly chili pepper with cocoa and honey mixed in.

Taste has a lot of powdered cocoa and roasted chili pepper. Sweet malt, caramel, honey, and biscuit/bread are also present. The taste is fairly sweet but not cloying. Slight floral herbs and spices in the finish. There's a lingering tobacco aftertaste.

Feel is thick, smooth, and creamy. Carbonation is a bit low and it's a bit heavy. There's a bit of heat from it from the peppers, but it's not an alcohol type of heat. Drinkability is kinda low for me. It's too heavy for me to drink a lot of it. I think a 750ml bottle is a bit much for one person. I recommend splitting this with friends.

Overall, a very interesting beer. It tastes different from anything I've ever had. It's definitely worth a try, but it is a bit expensive (~$13 for 750ml).

bkilpatr, Dec 02, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

Clear light brown pour. White head with a minimal amount of lacing. Interesting aroma, sweet cocoa and honey. Rather lively in the mouth, but not over carbonated. Not as sweet as the nose would suggest, more like accents to standard roast malt and piney/citrus hops. Some roast nutty like spice in the finish. Reminds me a bit of a nut brown ale with some cocolate mixed in. Definetely very interesting and worth a try.

Bung, Nov 30, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

750 ml bottle bought at Toco Giant here in Atlanta, poured into a goblet. Pours a perfect , rich Amber color, lighter than expected (although not sure how I could have expected much given the style). Apparent carbonization led to a medium head, only slightly off-white. The smell is very faint, I can detect the cocoa, but nto nearly as much as you might expect reading the label, and considering DFH history of some overwhelmingly, sweet brews. The taste is solid, but once again, not too strong. The cocoa and honey hints are there, but do not take over the flavor of the ale. For the last time, I was surprised by the lack of overwhelming sweetness and chocolate. Pleasantly surprised though, as it led to a slightly more drinkable style that usual, in my opinion, for DFH. The relatively light carbonization also led to the muted mouthfeel. An interesting beer to try, but certainly not going into the rotation.

bhalter8, Nov 28, 2008