Theobroma - Dogfish Head Brewery

TheobromaTheobroma

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Theobroma is a celebration of chocolate, the food of the gods.

This Ancient Ale is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras that revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions.

The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1,200 B.C. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head's Theobroma (translated into "food of the gods") is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).

It's light in color, not what you expect from your typical chocolate beer (not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!).

(Beer added by: slvrmon82 on 03-21-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Theobroma Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Super disappointed. I thought this was goign to be a dark. More chocolate and maybe a porter type beer. Not at all....

appearance: golden and lager like, fast bubbles rising from the bottom.

smell: slight chocolate cocoa. That all Im smelling

taste: Tad bit of sweetness from the honey and a slight taste or cocoa. I didnt taste the chiil but I can feel the heat going down a little bit. Kinda of interesting... Not overwheling at all and it's the major purpose of the beer.

mouthfeel: thin... high carbonation

drinkability: different from what I expected but this is a beer is different and a solid selection. This will not be a everyday beer.

CampusCrew, Jul 17, 2009

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a snifter.

A- Pours a vibrant, glowing amber/orange. Initially, there is a healthy two fingers width of white head, but this dissipates almost instantaneously.

S- Not terribly complex. Detecting some sweetness from the honey and a subtle hint of spices. Beneath it all you can also pull out a bit of the cocoa nibs.

T- A lot different than what I was expecting based on previous chile beers I have had. A combination of honey sweetness and bready caramel malts. The chile is really noticeable at the end of each sip with a bit of the cocoa nibs. In fact, the heat from the chile is mostly felt afterwards in the chest and throat. That being said, it was the perfect amount of chile without becoming offensive.

M- Medium body feel. Decent amount of carbonation.

D- As far a DFH specialty beers go (i.e. Pangaea, Sah'tea, etc.) this was one of the more drinkable offerings. I wouldn't want to drink a whole bottle by myself, but if I had to I could. I think this is mostly due to the fact that the amount of chile they put in was just right.

Overall, for being a chile beer I was pretty impressed. I have had the opportunity to have several offerings of various chile beers from other breweries and this was easily the best one.

rhinos00, Jul 17, 2009
3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

Been waiting almost 8 months for this, ever since I saw that I missed it last year. Is it worth the wait?

Appearance was lighter than I thought it would be, a medium yellow color, clear, with a half finger, fast and fizzy head that made quite a bit of noise. Wow, that was one sentence too.

Aroma had hints of cocoa, with some peppery spiciness (black pepper), honey, and lighter malts. Pretty good. I really don't smell chili peppers.

Taste was slightly sweet, with definite honey present. Very light hints of cocoa, and lightly smoky. Mild chili pepper notes, but very very light. I didn't really get any heat. All that being said about the taste, it really was not that impressive. It reminded me of Pangea. Kind of had a Belgian pale ale quality, and overall I wasn't impressed.

Mouthfeel was pretty good, well carbonated and light.

Drinkability... well, it was OK, but overall, I wouldn't seek it out again. It wasn't the most pleasant experience to finish the bottle. Better than Steel Reserve, but still I had to drink it rather quickly.

connecticutpoet, Jul 17, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle.

A- Pours a nice copper color, like a DIPA. Head is there, but gone in 10 seconds. Literally no head a minute after pouring.

S- Cocoa. I used to live in Hershey, PA, and recognize the smell of raw cocoa. Smell a spice, as well, though I doubt it's the chilies. Wikipedia describes annatto (an ingredient) as "slightly peppery with a hint of nutmeg", so perhaps that's it.

T- Very good. Chocolate is here, although not sweet chocolate. The honey's here for that, though. The cocoa leaves a malty character on the tongue. Didn't notice the chilies at first, but 4-5 sips in and they make themselves known on the back end. Very nice change from your usual coriander spice found in beers, and the PERFECT amount. Assertive without being pushy. This beer tastes great.

M- Good, not great. Not a ton of carbonation in this one. Still, a nice mouthfeel.

D- Good for what it is, but definitely not a sessionable beer. Still, a very refreshing change of pace from what you usually drink... this beer is nothing like you've tasted before, meethinks.

All in all, another great job by the pros at Dogfish Head. I'll be squirreling a few of these away, for sure. If you see this, grab it.. if just for the difference factor. Still, DFH has a good beer here, not just a gimmick.

Hope to see this come around every summer, Sam. Please?

ShogoKawada, Jul 16, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

a: piraat snifter, rich golden color and capped with a quickly receding white head, a thin ring is left behind

s: full aroma of sweet pale and lightly caramelized malts with an undertone of honey, something akin to a malty pale ale, underneath cocoa meshes seamlessly with dried and gently smoked peppers bringing to mind cocoa mole - moderate relative to the malt presence but pervasive nonetheless, gentle sweet alcohol evokes watered bourbon or dark rum, best after warming - I was totally underwhelmed at first, pretty tame taken piece by piece but impressive as a coherent whole

m: carbonation just above medium and a touch prickly, though smoothing out after sitting awhile, medium-full bodied and a touch slick, dries almost fully in the finish but the sugars build over the course to produce a nectar-like feel

t: heavier pale malt and light caramel body, peppers come in after the swallow both fresh and dried with a dusting of dry cocoa, a thick drizzle of honey soon follows, a bit of smoke in the finish and an almost imperceptible heat - mostly felt in the stomach (or is that the booze?)...nice, but a bit too sweet and without the nuanced complexities of the aroma

d: no problem at all, a bit heavy after warming but the alcohol is very well integrated

750 from Whole Foods, Vienna, VA, 2008 bottling

blackie, Jul 13, 2009
3.58/5  rDev -7%

Shared this beer with my friend Boo recently. It was suggested by our favorite local brew store as something "different and interesting." That it was! We're both huge DFH fans -- they really do make some of the finest and most unique beers around. This is a beer that I'm sure the good folks at DFH had fun making. Since trying it, I've read several reviews that essentially said "nothing like what I expected." That accurately sums up this beer in 5 words. It's a creative brew, but we both agreed that it's not one that we would shell out $15 for again.

As we poured it, we were quite surprised by the appearance. Based on the description, we had expected a darker appearance, but it's a deep golden, medium honey color. The fact that cocoa is a featured element of the beer had lead us to expect a darker color. There wasn't much of a head... similar to what a golden lager would typically produce.

The smell was yeasty and of honey, not the roasty, chocolate aroma that we expected. A slight hint of the cocoa was there, but very faint.

The appearance and smell weren't the last of our surprises. We expected much more of a cocoa flavor, but it just wasn't as noticeable as we thought it should be. The ancho chile was there in perfect amounts -- detectable but not overpowering. It left a slight but pleasing tingle on the tongue as it passed the taste buds. There's a nice honey flavor there and there's a real yeastiness to this beer. But again, we were mainly surprised by the underwhelming cocoa essence.

We both prefer more full-bodied ales such as DIPAs and stouts, and Theobroma probably won't get a lot of high marks from fans of beers like DFH's 90 Min or Southern Tier's Unearthly IPA (one of my all time fav beers), but it's definitely an interesting beer that I'm glad we sampled. It's one of those beers that beer geeks will enjoy sipping and discussing -- to be quickly followed up by an imperial IPA!

spwalshesq, Jul 11, 2009

2008 Edition

Been holding on to my few remaining 2008 Theo's until I was sure I could get my hands on more. Alas, the 2009 release has arrived! Poured slightly darker than upon release with tons of suspended yeast which have fallen out of solution. Kind of like staring into an amber colored snowglobe. The chocolate is much more pronounced after resting nearly a year, the minimal chili kick is still there, but even more subtle, and the honey sweetness is pulled back just a notch. It may be my imagination, but there also seems to be a bit more light smoke (alder wood is not quite appropriate, but more alder-like in lightness than oak) than as an infant. Otherwise, this is the same beauty I enjoyed last year, and I remember why I held on to it so closely. Expected yeast precipitation aside, I wasn't quite sure how it would stand up to time, but I'd say this has some life yet--much as one might assume a meadesque beverage should.

I'm glad DFH continued this in '09, and hope it hangs on for the long haul. World class? Yeah, I think so, but that's up for debate. One of my favs. Gotta add that I get that there is a lot going on in this beer, with no real standout of flavor. But that's what impresses me the most: the balance of the brew. No small feat, and Theo shouldn't be penalized for balance as seems to be the case in many reviews.

jwjon1, Jul 11, 2009
3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

I poured from a 25 ounce bottle into a snifter. The beer pours a light orange with a minimal head. The aroma is a bit faint, yet complex, alot going on and it all cancels each other out so I can not pick up much. A bit grassy a bit of chillies but not much. The chocolate is prominent in the taste and the chilies are there in a post quaffing burn. There is a bit of sweetness from the honey, but IMO too much going on. The beer is a medium bodied sipper, that is interesting. But for this BA, one Theobroma is enough for a lifetime.

bonkers, Jul 10, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance - A decent tan with a fizzly foamy head that dissipates within seconds with no retention. No lacing on the glass. Mediocre defined.

Smell - Mildly enticing, but I've smelled similar in beers where there are so many ingredients in the flavor that it ultimately suffers from haphazardry...which is a word now officially coined by me.

Taste - No matter how many beers I drink (copious), I'm always amazed by how much better they are warm than cold - this beer is obviously no different. Cold, this beer has very little discernable flavor, with some hints of chocolate. The finish is undeniably the chili, and I was impressed how smoothly the beer transitioned into the hot spice flavor in the finish. Once it warms the chocolate resides in the back of a more spicy up front flavor with a apricot-esque finish. As the flavor settles after swallowing, the hotness from the chili rises to remind you this beer is indeed brewed with chili peppers. Still I wish all of the present flavors were more pronounced.

Mouthfeel - Bizarrely light bodied, especially given its high ABV. The alcohol is masked/complemented by the chili.

Drinkability - Easy to drink, but the ABV makes one bomber enough, and the flavor isn't definitive enough to make me crave another.

A good beer, but to be honest, after months of trying to try this beer, I am a little disappointed - maybe the first time I ever have been with a Dogfish Head brew. In the end, I think it tries to incorporate too many flavors, and the sum of its parts don't contribute to the end product.

schinebd, Jul 09, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

A:Suprising bright, sunny orange and thin but fluffy head.

S: Both sweet and tart (though light) fruitiness with some earthyness and hints of roasted cocoa and roasted cereal to it.

T: A little sweetness and bitter dark cocoa finish. Very light

M: Very very light for the ingredients. Deceptive. Almost wanted more body.

D: Very good taste, smooth and drinkable feel.

rfgetz, Jul 08, 2009
3.4/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 vintage. 750 ml capped with a mild pffft before going into Duvel tulip.

Wow - I didn't expect the coloring to be so light. Matters not, but there's just about a full finger of head (eggshell color) that has mild retention powers. Seriously, it pours like an IPA. Color is more honey than the expected darker tone. It's pretty well-carbonated, too. Interesting. Second pour yields similar results - maybe a little less head.

I have no clue what this smells like. There's some honey, some booze...some chile on deep background. Hops? Sure, why not? I have no idea where the chocolate is at first blush. Some perfume in there. Could pass for hibiscus if I had to pull a name for a scent outta my ass.

Well, there's the chiles. Wow - a bit of an astringent, boozy, chile heat. I may get a bit of chocolate. Then again, I may not. Definitely some honey, but it's pretty dry. After quite a while...nope...no chocolate. And the chile fades a bit. Still, it tastes pretty nice with the honey backdrop. Again, perfumy hibiscus or maybe a tinge of gardenia.

This definitely delivers a nice subtle, honey-coated heat. It's lighter than expected with that astringent booziness. Finish has a decent kick and burn to it.

I didn't really know what to expect from this. Except honey, chocolate and chiles. 2 outta 3 ain't bad. That perfumy thing slows it up and mixes with the carbonation. Interesting stuff. Odd stuff. Not bad...not what I expected...but who cares what I expected? It's OK stuff. Kinda interesting. OK, very interesting to say the least.

IBUnit63, Jul 05, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottled 2008. Pulled out of thecellar for the 4th.
Poured into a red keg type cup. (Classy). Poured a dark, ruddy orange. Really no head to speak of. Looks kinda uneventful.
The nose is musty, a little bit of oxidation. Some cocoa in there as well. Don't smell any peppers.
The taste is really complex. The best of this style I've ever had. Sweet honey up front, which really intertwines with the cocoa wonderfully. The chocolate takes center stage in this one. The finish is composed of spiciness, and some alc heat. Wonderfully put together. Who wudda guessed choc and chilis would go so well together? Great offering!

mikecharley, Jul 05, 2009
4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

From a growler into a frosty mason-jar mug at Purv's Beer and More in Peckville, PA

Lighter in appearance than I had expected.
Smell was of straight cocoa powder and a little bit of spice from the chili pepper
Mouthfeel was very nice considering the light color. I was worried it would be much thinner than it actually was.
Taste was terrific. A great deal of chocolate throughout. I made the comment that this beer has a better chocolate flavor than most of the chocolate stouts/porters I have had.
While higher in ABV, the alcohol was well hidden and I'd rate drinkability quite good for this brew.

MeanGene, Jul 04, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Got a bottle of thsi from Oak Tree Discounts.

A: Pours a hazy, amber body with a small, white head with pretty poor retention but with some nice, decent lacing until the finish,

S: A sweet, malty smell with hints of alcohol and annatto.

T: A sweet, honey taste with some spicy, chile notes that are also slightly piney. Some annatto noted in the sweeter, malty backbone as well in the aftertaste. Despite a decent ABV level, the alcohol does not make itself too evident.

M: A pretty full-bodied mouthfeel that was pretty nice and pretty smooth.

D: A nice, mouthfeel and taste combination. The control of the alcohol made the beer pretty drinkable and warming as well. A nice drinking beer.

maddogruss, Jul 04, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

well, I've been hanging on to this one for 6 months of better and have finally built up the courage to open it up. Here we go:

Appearance- surprising golden-orange color that isn't completely clear. About a finger worth of head with little lacing observed.

Smell- Pretty much reads like the description: Honey, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ancho chilies, and ground annatto. Overall an "earthy" feel to the whole thing.

Taste- This is surprisingly good for such a weird combination of ingredients. Should I be surprised though? Probably not, as DFH seems to pull this sort of thing off time after time. The honey is the first thing that I taste, and the chilies the last. The cocoa flavors take up most of the middle. Very subtle spice in the finish from the chilies. The chocolate starts taking on a stronger presence the more sips you take as it tends to linger the longest.

Mouthfeel- Lightly carbonated, full of flavor, yet fairly light overall.

Drinkabililty- This is surprisingly good and drinkable. It's a crazy idea, but I think that DFH once again has pulled it off.

lpayette, Jun 25, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Well, this is interesting. I was expecting Theobroma to be a darker brown color. It's not at all. Rather, it's more of an amber color with nectarine highlights. What a surprise. There's a moderate amount of haze in there. The head is off-white and over two fingers deep. It was quick to dissipate and left light, sticky strands of lace on the glass. Very surprising, but not bad at all.

The nose is just a little underpowered. A chocolate or cocoa-like aroma is noted throughout, but it's far from strong. There's a bit of a sweet honey-like scent to it. Smells like there's a little caramel or toffee in there, as well. It has some earthy qualities. It doesn't quite smell grainy, but perhaps a little grassy. I'm not picking up anything to indicate a chile presence. There's a spicy quality to it, but it seems more herbal. Overall, it's alright. Easily above average, but not any better. It's just a tad weak and the elements don't seem to come together in perfect harmony. It smells more like a few individual components.

The flavor is easily better and is surprisingly good. The chocolate element is much more pronounced in flavor and is damn tasty. It's a little sweet, but has some cocoa-like qualities. Honey follows and is also prominent. Not quite as much as the chocolate, but it's here. I never anticipated that combo working well, but it does here. No question. A spicy flavor emerges about midway through. It's definitely the chile component. It's a complementary flavor and is relatively mild. Somehow, it's working. There's a faint grassy or earthy flavor. It's subtle and doesn't really add much, but doesn't offend me. Surprisingly, alcohol is not noticeable at all. I was expecting some, but it's not here. It finishes with a dose of cocoa and a spicy surge. I've gotta give it to DFH, this is pretty impressive stuff. Much better than I expected. There's nothing about it that's special, but it's more than solid and tasty.

Theobroma has a body that's on the lighter side of medium. It feels a tad thin. It's smooth, but could stand a little more body. Carbonation is light and helps smooth it out. Drinkability is good. The flavor is surprisingly good. It falls short of excellent, but it's good. It's a little strong at 9%, but I won't have too much trouble with the 750.

Wow. I wasn't expecting much from Theobroma. A chocolate/chile beer just didn't sound very enticing at all. I should've known that if anyone could pull it off and make it a success, it'd be DFH. Those folks do extreme beer as well as anyone and often succeed with experiments that have "fail" written all over them. Given that this is such a novelty, I don't really have any constructive criticism for it. I'll just take it for what it is. I doubt we'll see a host of chocolate/chile beers coming down the pipe. Overall, this is a success. It's not a world class beer by any means, but it is a surprisingly good novelty. Well worth checking out if you have the opportunity.

prototypic, May 25, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

A: Nice looking beer - orange, almost pink in color. Pours with a substantial head that recedes to a random assortment of bubbles ringing the glass.

S: Smells good, though I can't really say why. Just kind of sweet and malty to me. I don't detect chocolate or ancho chiles in the smell. Well, maybe just a hint of chocolate, but I'm only saying that because the label says this is brewed with it.

T: Semi-sweet. Took a few sips, but I can detect those chilis in here. Very cool idea to brew something with a little spice. It's very subtle. As are the chocolate flavors which, again, I don't really notice. I appreciate the subtlety, but think DFH could get away with pronouncing these flavors a bit more without the risk of going overboard.

M: Medium body, pretty high carbonation.

D: Pretty refreshing. I'm pairing this with some Mexican meatballs for dinner.

waltonc, May 22, 2009
3.85/5  rDev 0%

A 750ml capped bottle - Brewed in 2008 on the neck. Poured into my trusty Duvel tulip, this ale appears the color of a ripe nectarine with at least two fingers of pillowy bone white foam. The nose is filled with notes of honey, bakers chocolate, and fall fruits. Tastes of slightly sour grapes, grape skins, cocoa powder, honeyed pears, a sourness akin to grape lemonade that's lacking most of it's sugar. The ancho really comes through in the finish and aftertaste leaving the tongue tingling and a gentle burn in the back of the throat. Ample carbonation to match the flavors and aromas. Quite a unique ale, thanks to DFH for taking a chance on this one.

ClockworkOrange, May 20, 2009
4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Presentation: It was poured from a 1 pint 9.4oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: The body has a dark golden honey color with a slightly hazy appearance and some fine sediment floating in it. Its head is light tan in color, average in size and slowly fades down to just a small ring of slick lace.

Smell: The aroma has hints of light sweet honey and malts.

Taste/Mouth feel: Its flavor has a pleasant honey and malty sweetness with just a mellow hint of chocolate. There is also a hint of chili flavor with is very mild and complementary. Its texture is smooth and slick on the palate with light carbonation and a solid well rounded medium body.

Notes: I was looking for a bigger, bolder chocolate flavor with spicy kick of chili. I was surprised to find a very subtle mellow brew that still a pleasure to drink.

generallee, Apr 30, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Bought at Five Points Bottle in Athens, GA when it first came out - I tried to let it sit for a while but six months was the best I could do.

Pours a slightly hazy golden honey color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a thin ring around the glass leaving light lacing.

Smells of sweet malts with hints of honey and a very light spiciness.

Tastes more complex than it smells. Sweet malt and honey flavors kick things off, but midway through the sip an earthy heat comes in. Not nearly enough to make the tongue burn, but enough to know it's there. Right before the ending I get a very small amount of cocoa flavors, though it's faint enough that it may only be because I read the label.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a smooth thickness with solid carbonation.

Drinkability is alright. The sweetness gets to be a bit much after the first glass, though I still didn't have a huge problem finishing the bottle.

Overall this is a very nuanced beer as far as the chilies and cocoa are concerned. I could see this benefiting from a few more months on the shelf. Worth a shot.

glid02, Apr 09, 2009
3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

A friend watched a documentary several months ago that featured this beer prominently. He was intrigued by the back-story surrounding the recipe; he's also a beer fan and co-worker, so I promised to track down a bottle. Last night we split the bottle I acquired three ways, as dessert after a spicy bowl of jambalaya.

750 ml bottle, 2008 vintage - thanks to rgtravers for sending.

A: Slightly hazed amber/copper orange; tiny flecks of dirty sediment in all three glasses. Decent carbonation in fairly strong streams. Fluffy head of fizzy whiteness crests at an inch, drops quickly. No lace to speak of, just miniscule flecks.

S: Full-on cocoa aroma, quite surprising from such a relatively pale beer. A sort of dusty/grated spice and a herbal honey sweetness. Pretty interesting aroma.

T: Huh, curious flavor to match the aroma: definite honey and chocolate/cocoa flavors with an earthy bittering and slight pepper bite. The peppers aren't so much 'hot' as they are 'dry', like black pepper cracked into a honey-cocoa powder beverage. My wife had an odd observation: 'tastes like grape kool-aid'. I thought she was crazy initially but then began to see what she was getting at: a slight tang, an earthy/mineral finish, a hint of artificially-flavored fruit skin.

M: A little carbonation yields to an ultra-creamy and smooth feel. Medium body, lingering dry spices melded with honey sweetening.

D: Theobroma, 'food of the gods'. A worthy experiment by the DFH Masters of Experimentation. It's all very 'different' and is a hard beer both to judge and to pick apart. As such it's good and appropriate for sipping, contemplating. Don't know that I necessarily have to have it again but it's certainly worth a try.

Thanks again, Ryan, for sending and thanks to Barry for encouraging me to find one of these.

msubulldog25, Apr 05, 2009
3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Murky amber color, chill haze is evidient.
Aroma is cacao, chocolaty, and flowery.
Taste of sweet honey and cereal grains.
Phenolic and grainy tasting
Beer really changes character when it warms up. Let this one sit out for awhile, or just keep at room temp's. Avoid serving cold as the lower temperatures really seem to really mutes the flavors. Serve at room temp for the most desirable experience.

deanhead, Apr 02, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle from Knightly Spirits in Orlando, FL. Beautiful translucent shimmering orange. Thin off white head. I was looking for stronger aromas. Not much. Chiles, fruit. Good amount of malt flavor. Some cocoa and chile. Medium bodied, a bit zesty. Overall, very good. I would say a must try, different. Not sure if I would invest in another entire bottle, but a good experience. I am glad I was able to try it.

AChamberlain, Mar 31, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

inflatablechair brought this over for a tasting about a month ago.. I'm just finally getting round to entering my notes for the review.. Thanks Sam! I enjoyed this from my New Belgium snifter.

I took fairly good notes.. but I wish they were better....

Orange/honey brew with a light head... spots of lace....

Aroma is cocoa and light honey.... maybe smokey chili..

Flavor has alot more cocoa.. mild pepper.. a touch of heat.. medium body with good carbonation.. I expected more of the advertised flavors.

3.5/3.5/3.5/4/3.5

JohnGalt1, Mar 24, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance - Pours a deep, cloudy orange with a thick white head. The head completely dissipates and there is no lacing.
Smell - Cocoa and honey dominate the nose.
Taste - Starts with some cocoa and honey before a brief hint of chile heat. Finishes with some more cocoa. The flavors are not as intense or as prominent as they should be. The sweetness from the honey is the most lasting attribute of the beer.
Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with a moderate, scrubbing carbonation.
Drinkability - Quite drinkable, but not a beer I'd want to session. The sweetness does begin to detract from the experience.

This is an interesting beer to try and it is well-made, but the flavors are not as intense as I would like for a $17 beer. Although I won't purchase this beer again, it is worth a shot if you're interested in the concept and don't mind a semi-sweet beer. It was good with barbecued chicken.

Aenema, Mar 23, 2009