Theobroma - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: slvrmon82 on 03-21-2008

Theobroma is a celebration of chocolate, the food of the gods.

This Ancient Ale is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras that revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions.

The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1,200 B.C. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head's Theobroma (translated into "food of the gods") is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).

It's light in color, not what you expect from your typical chocolate beer (not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!).

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Theobroma Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured from a 24 oz bottle into a goblet. Appears a sickly yellowish brown. Little bone white head is gone in no time.
Smell is very light, has an odd well-water smell to it.
The beer had a unique taste to it, a light maltyness, hints of cocoa powder. Sweet but not cloying. At the very end there is an ever so slight lingering spicey pepper finish.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and has that hot pepper burn like after eating buffalo wings.
I found this one highly drinkable, especially for a Chile Beer. Unique and definately worth trying.

4.11/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours with a golden amber color and very little head. Not a very strong aroma, with a tiny bit of sweetness to it. The taste, however, is very complex and strongly spiced. First comes a sweetness of honey with a strong hint of the cocoa flavor near the end of the drink. The chile hotness lingers a bit in the throat after each drink and confuses the alcohol bite. The beer has a full, solid body that is easy to drink with just the right amount of carbonation: excellent mouthfeel and great drinkability. A very different brew and quite tasty as well.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

A - Not much head or lacing. Lighter than expected with the cocoa, but it was a dark orange.

S - Smelled the chilli spiciness.

T - Less cocoa flavor than expected which was quite pleasant. The description and other reviews scared me but this actually tasted like a good brew with just some additives. The spiciness wasn't overwhelming but definitely dominated my taste buds. The maltiness was a good heavy amount here.

M - Could have used a high carbonation to bring out all of those interesting flavors, but it was still good.

D - Just the once was good with me. I split this 3 ways and that was just about right.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Very nice heavy bottle, over 25oz and at 9% it's the only beer I needed this evening.

Poured an Orange/Amber with a small head that dissapeared very quickly.

Smelled of honey and spices. Since it is brewed with ancho chillies and annatto, a slightly peppery nutmeg kind of spice. It also gives the beer it's red/orange tinge.

The taste was mainly honey at first finishing with the nutmegy annatto, I enjoyed every drop. As it warmed the flavours became more pronounced as well as the aromas.

Light sweet mouthfeel with some syrupiness feel on the tongue when it warmed more.

A very good sipping beer that I have had before but am glad I tried again.

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a smallish white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is some sweet malts, and spices - spicy cinnamon and tea.

The flavor is sweet malts with a little fruit and honey leading to a spicy (hot) cinnamon finish (red hots). It is a bit plasticy in the aftertaste, but warming from the spices and alcohol. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with average carbonation.

Overall, one of the more interesting spicy/chile beers I've had. I really love the background on these Dogfish beers - it brings out the geek in me.

2.9/5  rDev -24.9%

2009 release; Sampled August 2009
A vigorous pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a four-finger thick, pale tan colored head. The beer is a rich copper color that shows a brilliantly clear, copper-gold color when held up to the light. The aroma has such a clean malt character to it that it smells like candied maltose; fairly sweet and a bit cloying in its simplicity, I seem to get this in a lot of Dogfish Heads stronger beers, a sort of house character. This has quite a bit of fruitiness to it, it reminds me of concentrated pears, green apple, a touch of honeydew melon and some green raisin notes. There is a touch of an artificial smell to the nose, not quite chemical like, but it is something that I can't quite place; perhaps it is a touch of herbal honey character mixed with some phenolic fermentation character. Despite the complex promise of the ingredients, the nose ends up being fairly simplistic and completely lacking in the interesting ingredient list.

Soft and creamy feeling up front, the beer picks up a light prickle of carbonation as it moves across the tongue. The cocoa nibs / powder are non-existent at first, but then a faint, white-chocolate like note starts to creep in towards the finish. The finish has that sort of phenolic, chemical like note to it that I noticed in the nose. A touch of bitterness is barely noticeable and doesn't do much to balance the sweetness. There is perhaps a hint of spice / chile heat to the finish; it isn't noticeable until a couple seconds after the beer has left my mouth, and it is incredibly subtle (though it might be more noticeable to someone that doesn't enjoy spicy food as much as I do). The sweetness reminds me of honey with an herbal bite, bad apple juice with a chemical aftertaste, and some sulfurous green raisins. While the sweetness isn't overly excessive here, the lack of balancing bitterness or spice in this beer tends to make this beer lean towards the cloying side of the spectrum.

I was really excited to try this beer as the promise of a mix of cocoa, ancho chiles and ground annatto sounds really exciting, unfortunately both the aroma and flavor are almost devoid of these. The flavor does have the cocoa, and there is a touch of spice in the finish, but both are pretty tame. My expectations of this beer were a bit too much I think, I still think these ingredients could come up with a much more interesting beer. Unfortunately I didn't really enjoy this beer all that much.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a pretty orange gold with a medium head that dissipates quickly. Aroma is sweet honey with undertones of dark chocolate. Subtle chile and fruit notes. Taste is slightly sweet at first. Honey again. Chiles in the middle add just a slight amount of heat. Dark chocolate in the finish. Finishes dry with a bit of noticeable alcohol. Very tasty. Complex but everything blends together nicely and no single flavor dominates. Full bodied and pretty drinkable especially considering its strength and uniqueness. A very good and very interesting beer.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

Pours an interesting burnt orange color with fizzy white head that dissipates pretty quickly. Not a whole lot of lacing on the glass.

The scent is spicy, with a bit of tart fruitiness to the smell. Some pear to it, not really picking up on any of the listed ingredients other than the honey. Hope this changes as it warms up. It does smell really freaking good though.

The words that came out of my mouth after the first were "HOLY CRAP!" This beer is as complex as they come. Cocoa, honey, chile, all of it, combine to form this insane flavor profile. The pear/apple from the nose comes in and blends perfectly but the cocoa steals the show from start to finish.

The beer is medium bodied, with thin but very present carbonation. Very easy to drink, I want to buy another bottle for the winter however.

3.86/5  rDev 0%

As a student of archaeology I love that DFH does these "historical" interpretation of ancient ales that I have only studied in an Academic setting.
Color: A cloudy beer with a strong blonde color with almost a hint of red in the right light. While not bubbly in the glass, it is very effervescent on the tongue.
Smell: I really get a strong hint of honey and spice on the nose. It reminds me of almost of a Belgian style.
Taste: Wow! This beer is really spicy. I get little hints of bananas and chocolate in the beginning but all I taste at the end is the chilies. It really lingers in the mouth and on the next sip I only get the chilies. Maybe because I do not eat a lot of spicy food I really get that spice, but I think I like it.
Mouthfeel: All I feel in the mouth is the heat of the chilies. This beer feels like it is a lightly burning in the back of my throat. Have never had anything like this in a beer it reminded me of a chocolate dipped chili or even mole sauce.
Drinkability: Like I said before I love these historical beers. I really enjoyed trying this beer but I do not think I will go out of my way to drink it again. It reminded me very much of a Belgian style while I am more of a bitter hoppy kinda gal.
Keep making these windows into history DFH. They are weird but a lot of fun.

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

I have been looking forward to trying this beer since I first heard about it. It finally arrived here in Gainesville,FL.

Poured into a small tulip glass lighter in color than I expected. Given the chocolate nibs & peppers I thought it would be darker.

I couldnt reallly taste much of the pepper however my wife could right away. She didnt drink it straight from the bottle though. The more I had the more I could taste the heat of the pepper & the chocolate.But neither were overpowering. Honestly it reminded me of the Midas Touch only a little stronger. I enjoyed it & would buy it again.

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%

From Notes nearly 6 weeks old. Man have I been busy...

Had on tap at the Shep.

When I saw this classified as a chile beer my stomach sort of retracted. I've never ventured into such unfamiliar territory. The beer that founds its way to me on the bar wasn't frightening, though.

Pour is a nice light amber with a small foamy white head capping the brew. This beer smells and tastes very interesting...

It's sweet and spicy all at once. Smells of honey and spices come through. The taste, while interesting, wasn't enjoyable for me. I struggled to finish my glass. The cocoa makes its presence known, as does a little bit of a kick from the chile. There's a sweet honey presence as well.

I guess this is simply a case of "one mans trash is..." I'm a big DFH fan but this one won't be passing my lips again anytime soon.

3.39/5  rDev -12.2%

The beer is a pretty, tawny-copper color, and cloudy, with a barely existent head of small white foam bottles. It smells sharp, reminding me of a citrusy wheat beer, and JD thinks that it smells a little like fresh mowed grass, too.

It tastes both sweet and sour in the mouth, with the chocolate coming in as an aftertaste. Its mouthfeel is fairly thin and light. I'll admit, there's more going on than I can really get at, but I can taste a bit of a ginger flavor, . The warming flavor from the chilies adds a nice kick that balances out the sourness, and I'm guessing the sweetness is from the honey. After a bit, the chile starts to crowd the other flavors out.

The chili leaves a warm burn in the back of the throat that I like--a nice kick since, at 9%ABV it's got alcohol but not enough to be reaaaallly warming. Overall, I like it! But I don't love it. For the price, would not buy again--but it's definitely interesting enough that I'd recommend picking it up at least once.

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Appearance- Nice amber color with a whitish head.

Smell- Definite spice aromas and a strong scent of honey.

Taste- This is where I started to falter. The honey, I felt, was overpowering. While the spices and, to a lesser extent, the cocoa were pleasant in and of themselves I didn't feel that there was enough of a balance. Not exactly what I was expecting after reading the description on the label. I expected a lot more chocolate flavors.

Mouthfeel- Not bad overall but the honey gave it a sticky, cloying quality in my opinion.

Drinkability- Could be good in small doses. I don't recommend drinking the whole think on your own. I found the honey to be a bit too much.

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Very unique. I was definitely more interested in trying Theobroma because of the history behind it, rather than the actual beverage.

A) Pretty peach-colored. No foam or lacing. Hazy; kind of an orange-ish apple juice.

S) Mild. I was getting over a cold, which may have affected this. The chile was the most prominent smell, but not at all overbearing. Mild cocoa.

T) Very interesting. Like nothing else I've tried. Starts sweet - malty, honey, cocoa but the spices (chile and annatto) come out. As it warms the spices become more prominant. I feel the hot chile in my stomach, not in an unpleasant way. Reminiscent of cinnamon. Not as chocolatey as one might think - this was actually bitter and subtle.

MF) Medium to full. Fairly carbonated despite the lack of foam.

D) Good for a sipping beverage. I enjoyed one wine-glass full for an hour and a half. And that was enough. 9%ABV.

Truly "off-centered" - I am happy I got to try this, but do not feel the need to go out of my way to try it again.

1.95/5  rDev -49.5%

"Bottled in 2009"

Pours a nice red in color, a hue I haven't seen in beer before, with no head, though it is carbonated.

A light aroma of spices and cocoa.

The cocoa is detectible in the flavor, along with a mild amount of chile heat and flavor. There are also weird vegetable flavors that are not that pleasant. Noticeable alcohol flavors and dryness. The more I drink of this the worse it tastes, actually.

This beer just doesn't do it for me, and it hurts me to give a bad review to a beer from such a great brewery.

This is the least distinguished (a polite way to say "worst") Dogfish Head beer. Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

After drinking more of this (perhaps eight ounces total) I was getting a bad feeling in my stomach and did something I've never done before: I poured the rest of the glass down the drain.

Avoid this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +6.7%

I had this on tap at Trappeze in Athens,Ga.
The color was a vibrant orange -red with a modest
head retention. The nose had fresh coco and a spicy note. The taste was very well balanced the hops and coco work well together and the malt backbone was there as a perfect suppporting actor. The finish creeps up on you the spicy pepper hits slowly then get hotter the longer you wait for the next sip!! This brew would match well with spicy Asian food.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

750ml bottle split between three pint glasses

bright clear golden in color, very carbonated. Smells sweet and malty.

Taste is mildly sweet, big round and malty, slightly lagery.

Mouthfeel is very light and pleasant, making for a very drinkable brew.

2.35/5  rDev -39.1%

A-Pours an yellow/gold color with a nice head that fades quickly and left little lacing.

S-Fruity. I can't smell any of the chilies, honey or chocolate. Maybe its my sinuses. But what I can smells smells good.

T-I can't smell the chilies, but I can taste them big time. Its not working real well for me. A sweet honey/malty taste as well, but the most prominent taste for me is definitely the chilies. The combination of the sweetness and the chilies is not working for me.

M-Medium body, spicy finish. But there is a horrendous aftertaste that I can't get rid of.

D-I can't see myself drinking this one again.

Others may like this, but for me, DFH missed the boat on this one.

3.02/5  rDev -21.8%

750ml bottled poured into a pint glass - fridge temp - 2009

Appearance: Pours a copper color with yellow highlights. A 1/2' off-white head forms and disappears quickly. Not much carbonation activity.

Smell: A sweet, fruity aroma mixes with honey, cocoa and underlying malts. Not much more than that.

Taste: Peppery cocoa is the main flavor component of this beer. Other flavors include malt, almond and some honey. Interesting, but not mind-blowing.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, spicy, a bit of carbonation and a bit of alcohol. The finish is warming with alcohol and chiles. Fun.

Drinkability: I'm not sure what to think of this beer. It is adventurous and probably adheres to the age-old recipe. It lacks in complexity and reminds me of a dull Belgian Strong Ale. I think the mouthfeel needs work to make it a more lively brew.

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

On-tap at The Pit served in a Chimay chalice a crisp pale orange with a thin diminishing head. Aroma is an interesting blend of caramel malts, cocoa, and slight chili peppers. The taste is a nice balance of chilies and cocoa that shows the cocoa more as it warms. The beer is on the heavy side of medium and is certainly a sipper. This is a very enjoyable beer on-tap!

4.23/5  rDev +9.6%

Reviewed with the help of Speedwayjim and Steph on 8/7/09.

Appearance: Amber orange, with little head retention.

Smell: Sweet and definitely malty.

Taste: Opens mellow with malts which carry throughout the sip. There are hints of green fruits in the middle and on the end there is a sweet nutiness which leaves a pleasant and malty aftertaste. I personally didn't get any of the heat from the chiles, may have been partly due to the crafts I had at Gingerman earlier. Ha

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and slightly silky.

Drinkability: Overall I'd have another, but just another.

This is a sippin brew that hit me much harder than the 9% ABV advertised. The pour was rich thick and dark. The head was soapy in appearance but left quickly. The fragrance of malts and fruit abound along with the alcohol. The brew is very nice with fruit overtones and just a lining of chile. The mouthfeel is rich and decadent. I liked the brew a lot with bread and mild asiago. All in all I would suggest that this brew is most positivelly experienced with food but I could definately see my self sippin' on an eight ouncer solo.

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

I love Dogfish Head's specialty craft beers. I picked up this 25+ oz. bottle at a specialty store in Michigan, and it waited a remarkable 6 days before I cracked it open.

According to Dogfish Head, the Theobroma is based on a chemical analysis of ancient Mexican pots. It's brewed with Aztec cocoa, honey, chilies, and annatto (fragrant tree seeds). I recently was turned on to the chocolate/cayenne combination, so I was looking forward to the combination of cocoa and chilies.

This beer poured a little flat for my liking. It was much lighter than I had expected for a beer brewed with cocoa. It's pretty foggy...not as clear as other reviews might suggest. If I can't see through it, it's foggy. The head was flimsy at best and dissipated pretty quickly. It's now a very thin broken film with a bit of lacing after about 3 minutes of sitting.

I can smell that this beer is not hopped out too heavily. That is probably to ensure the subtle flavors of the ingredients are not masked with the potent bitterness that comes from hops. It definitely has a sweet malt aroma, and I can detect a hint of the honey, but none of the 9% ABV this brew is sporting. It reminds me of the nutmeggy nose of pumpkin ales.

Upon first sip, none of the ingredients really stood out. If I search for cocoa I can find it, but not as much as the beer's name, Theobroma, meaning "food of the gods", would indicate. The spice stands out, and I assume that to be the annatto. I have never tasted it, so I'm not sure, but I can only assume. It's decently malty with low hops, and a great bite from the chilies on the back end. The chilies were what I was excited for, and they are there.

The texture is typical for a Dogfish Head brew. It's carbonation is very well integrated, and it's not too thick. Dogfish Head does but out some very thick beers, but this one, being not too rich, sits just righ and goes down smoothly.

Overall, the chilies in this beer make it enjoyable to me. It may be my current taste, but I could drinkone after another. It's not too rich and not too spicy to make it very enjoyable. Perfect for fall evenings or a compliment to Mexican food.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours perfectly clear, with a slightly offwhite head that dissipates quickly. The color is golden, with a slightly copper hue. This is much lighter in appearance than I had anticipated. When you hear "chocolate" you automatically think stout or porter. This is as light as a pale ale! The aroma is earthy and full, notes of spice, floral honey, with a little tinge of alcohol and malt sweetness. The mouthfeel is full, as one might expect (can you really expect anything going into a beer like this?) with a crisp carbonation that lends it's much needed acidity. The finish is semi dry, with just a bit lingering on the back of the palate. After a few sips, there is a lingering heat on the tongue, could it be the ancho chiles? The flavors are very well integrated here, nothing is standing up and screaming "hey, I'm cocoa powder!" It is mildly sweet, with some of that spice and earthy character making it's way in. The honey is there in the front of the palate, and the spice comes in after, playing off one another nicely. The ancho chiles are actually noticable if you know what to look for, and they add a nice floral element. I hesitate to use the word "vegital" here, given that it normally is a negative descriptor. However the chiles are flavorful and delicious, lending an almost fruit-like element. The cocoa seems to be lingering somewhere in the background. Where it's most noticable is in the aftertaste, a lingering bitterness that doesn't come from hops, but from very dark chocolate. Overall I'd say the earthy character I was detecting before may be due to this very dark, bitter chocolate.

I have to say, it's a rare thing for me to say I like a Dogfish Head beer, but this one is certainly an exception. From the moment I poured it, my pre-conceived notions were thrown out the window. I think one of the best elements of this beer is that it challenges the consumer to think differently. A veteran beer snob, knowing nothing about this beer except what the label says, an "ale brewed with honey, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ancho chiles, and ground annatto" might think as I did: this is a dark beer, a stout or a porter, with crystal and dark roasted malts. To then pour it and see that it is as light as a pale ale makes you stop and think.

2.79/5  rDev -27.7%

Live review. Poured from a 1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle into my DFH pint glass. Purchased at Warehouse Beverage on Mayfield in Cleveland for $11.99 about two weeks ago. No "freshness" date or :"best by" date as was on the Sah'tea bottle that I purchased at the same time which stated it was bottled in 2009.

A Initially there was a nice head but this quickly dissipated and I do not see significant lacing over a rather pedestrian light brown/orange translucent body without significant carbonation rising up. 3.0

S Malt sweetness with some alcohol. I do not smell the chocolate that is mentioned in the brewing process on the label. This remains an inviting smell to me as I enjoy malt prominent beers. 4.0

T Now THIS is an odd beer. There is the malt sweetness and the alcohol kick but there is, in my opinion, a third unwelcome and seemingly out of place taste that I did not expect. I am not sure how to describe it. I will sip a few more times and try to formulate a description...I think that it might be some type of a barley or maybe a spice or pepper of some kind but it is something that I do not like. I just read the label and I think that I found what it is...the ancho chilies... Anyway I do not like this taste as it is harsh. I have to say that I am dissapointed that I do not taste much of any of the Soconusco Cocoa nibs or the cocoa powder. 2.5

M Well, a big beer for sure due to many factors: 1. big malt presence 2. big ABV 3. Ancho Chilies. The alcohol and the chilies provide a bite that is almost too much. 2.5

D Not that good. I will finish at least one pint but I am not sure that I will drink another. Several minutes after I wrote that I drain poured the rest of the bottle. 2.0

Notes: Ambitious DFH have went for it with this beer and I love that enthusiasm but this was a difficult beer for me to drink. The craft beer community is richer for DFH, though.

Theobroma from Dogfish Head Brewery