Theobroma - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: slvrmon82 on 03-21-2008

Theobroma is a celebration of chocolate, the food of the gods.

This Ancient Ale is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras that revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions.

The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1,200 B.C. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head's Theobroma (translated into "food of the gods") is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).

It's light in color, not what you expect from your typical chocolate beer (not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!).

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Theobroma Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev +7%

I had this on tap at Trappeze in Athens,Ga.
The color was a vibrant orange -red with a modest
head retention. The nose had fresh coco and a spicy note. The taste was very well balanced the hops and coco work well together and the malt backbone was there as a perfect suppporting actor. The finish creeps up on you the spicy pepper hits slowly then get hotter the longer you wait for the next sip!! This brew would match well with spicy Asian food.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

750ml bottle split between three pint glasses

bright clear golden in color, very carbonated. Smells sweet and malty.

Taste is mildly sweet, big round and malty, slightly lagery.

Mouthfeel is very light and pleasant, making for a very drinkable brew.

2.35/5  rDev -39%

A-Pours an yellow/gold color with a nice head that fades quickly and left little lacing.

S-Fruity. I can't smell any of the chilies, honey or chocolate. Maybe its my sinuses. But what I can smells smells good.

T-I can't smell the chilies, but I can taste them big time. Its not working real well for me. A sweet honey/malty taste as well, but the most prominent taste for me is definitely the chilies. The combination of the sweetness and the chilies is not working for me.

M-Medium body, spicy finish. But there is a horrendous aftertaste that I can't get rid of.

D-I can't see myself drinking this one again.

Others may like this, but for me, DFH missed the boat on this one.

3.02/5  rDev -21.6%

750ml bottled poured into a pint glass - fridge temp - 2009

Appearance: Pours a copper color with yellow highlights. A 1/2' off-white head forms and disappears quickly. Not much carbonation activity.

Smell: A sweet, fruity aroma mixes with honey, cocoa and underlying malts. Not much more than that.

Taste: Peppery cocoa is the main flavor component of this beer. Other flavors include malt, almond and some honey. Interesting, but not mind-blowing.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, spicy, a bit of carbonation and a bit of alcohol. The finish is warming with alcohol and chiles. Fun.

Drinkability: I'm not sure what to think of this beer. It is adventurous and probably adheres to the age-old recipe. It lacks in complexity and reminds me of a dull Belgian Strong Ale. I think the mouthfeel needs work to make it a more lively brew.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

On-tap at The Pit served in a Chimay chalice a crisp pale orange with a thin diminishing head. Aroma is an interesting blend of caramel malts, cocoa, and slight chili peppers. The taste is a nice balance of chilies and cocoa that shows the cocoa more as it warms. The beer is on the heavy side of medium and is certainly a sipper. This is a very enjoyable beer on-tap!

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%

Reviewed with the help of Speedwayjim and Steph on 8/7/09.

Appearance: Amber orange, with little head retention.

Smell: Sweet and definitely malty.

Taste: Opens mellow with malts which carry throughout the sip. There are hints of green fruits in the middle and on the end there is a sweet nutiness which leaves a pleasant and malty aftertaste. I personally didn't get any of the heat from the chiles, may have been partly due to the crafts I had at Gingerman earlier. Ha

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and slightly silky.

Drinkability: Overall I'd have another, but just another.

This is a sippin brew that hit me much harder than the 9% ABV advertised. The pour was rich thick and dark. The head was soapy in appearance but left quickly. The fragrance of malts and fruit abound along with the alcohol. The brew is very nice with fruit overtones and just a lining of chile. The mouthfeel is rich and decadent. I liked the brew a lot with bread and mild asiago. All in all I would suggest that this brew is most positivelly experienced with food but I could definately see my self sippin' on an eight ouncer solo.

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

I love Dogfish Head's specialty craft beers. I picked up this 25+ oz. bottle at a specialty store in Michigan, and it waited a remarkable 6 days before I cracked it open.

According to Dogfish Head, the Theobroma is based on a chemical analysis of ancient Mexican pots. It's brewed with Aztec cocoa, honey, chilies, and annatto (fragrant tree seeds). I recently was turned on to the chocolate/cayenne combination, so I was looking forward to the combination of cocoa and chilies.

This beer poured a little flat for my liking. It was much lighter than I had expected for a beer brewed with cocoa. It's pretty foggy...not as clear as other reviews might suggest. If I can't see through it, it's foggy. The head was flimsy at best and dissipated pretty quickly. It's now a very thin broken film with a bit of lacing after about 3 minutes of sitting.

I can smell that this beer is not hopped out too heavily. That is probably to ensure the subtle flavors of the ingredients are not masked with the potent bitterness that comes from hops. It definitely has a sweet malt aroma, and I can detect a hint of the honey, but none of the 9% ABV this brew is sporting. It reminds me of the nutmeggy nose of pumpkin ales.

Upon first sip, none of the ingredients really stood out. If I search for cocoa I can find it, but not as much as the beer's name, Theobroma, meaning "food of the gods", would indicate. The spice stands out, and I assume that to be the annatto. I have never tasted it, so I'm not sure, but I can only assume. It's decently malty with low hops, and a great bite from the chilies on the back end. The chilies were what I was excited for, and they are there.

The texture is typical for a Dogfish Head brew. It's carbonation is very well integrated, and it's not too thick. Dogfish Head does but out some very thick beers, but this one, being not too rich, sits just righ and goes down smoothly.

Overall, the chilies in this beer make it enjoyable to me. It may be my current taste, but I could drinkone after another. It's not too rich and not too spicy to make it very enjoyable. Perfect for fall evenings or a compliment to Mexican food.

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours perfectly clear, with a slightly offwhite head that dissipates quickly. The color is golden, with a slightly copper hue. This is much lighter in appearance than I had anticipated. When you hear "chocolate" you automatically think stout or porter. This is as light as a pale ale! The aroma is earthy and full, notes of spice, floral honey, with a little tinge of alcohol and malt sweetness. The mouthfeel is full, as one might expect (can you really expect anything going into a beer like this?) with a crisp carbonation that lends it's much needed acidity. The finish is semi dry, with just a bit lingering on the back of the palate. After a few sips, there is a lingering heat on the tongue, could it be the ancho chiles? The flavors are very well integrated here, nothing is standing up and screaming "hey, I'm cocoa powder!" It is mildly sweet, with some of that spice and earthy character making it's way in. The honey is there in the front of the palate, and the spice comes in after, playing off one another nicely. The ancho chiles are actually noticable if you know what to look for, and they add a nice floral element. I hesitate to use the word "vegital" here, given that it normally is a negative descriptor. However the chiles are flavorful and delicious, lending an almost fruit-like element. The cocoa seems to be lingering somewhere in the background. Where it's most noticable is in the aftertaste, a lingering bitterness that doesn't come from hops, but from very dark chocolate. Overall I'd say the earthy character I was detecting before may be due to this very dark, bitter chocolate.

I have to say, it's a rare thing for me to say I like a Dogfish Head beer, but this one is certainly an exception. From the moment I poured it, my pre-conceived notions were thrown out the window. I think one of the best elements of this beer is that it challenges the consumer to think differently. A veteran beer snob, knowing nothing about this beer except what the label says, an "ale brewed with honey, cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ancho chiles, and ground annatto" might think as I did: this is a dark beer, a stout or a porter, with crystal and dark roasted malts. To then pour it and see that it is as light as a pale ale makes you stop and think.

2.79/5  rDev -27.5%

Live review. Poured from a 1 pint, 9.4 oz. bottle into my DFH pint glass. Purchased at Warehouse Beverage on Mayfield in Cleveland for $11.99 about two weeks ago. No "freshness" date or :"best by" date as was on the Sah'tea bottle that I purchased at the same time which stated it was bottled in 2009.

A Initially there was a nice head but this quickly dissipated and I do not see significant lacing over a rather pedestrian light brown/orange translucent body without significant carbonation rising up. 3.0

S Malt sweetness with some alcohol. I do not smell the chocolate that is mentioned in the brewing process on the label. This remains an inviting smell to me as I enjoy malt prominent beers. 4.0

T Now THIS is an odd beer. There is the malt sweetness and the alcohol kick but there is, in my opinion, a third unwelcome and seemingly out of place taste that I did not expect. I am not sure how to describe it. I will sip a few more times and try to formulate a description...I think that it might be some type of a barley or maybe a spice or pepper of some kind but it is something that I do not like. I just read the label and I think that I found what it is...the ancho chilies... Anyway I do not like this taste as it is harsh. I have to say that I am dissapointed that I do not taste much of any of the Soconusco Cocoa nibs or the cocoa powder. 2.5

M Well, a big beer for sure due to many factors: 1. big malt presence 2. big ABV 3. Ancho Chilies. The alcohol and the chilies provide a bite that is almost too much. 2.5

D Not that good. I will finish at least one pint but I am not sure that I will drink another. Several minutes after I wrote that I drain poured the rest of the bottle. 2.0

Notes: Ambitious DFH have went for it with this beer and I love that enthusiasm but this was a difficult beer for me to drink. The craft beer community is richer for DFH, though.

3.72/5  rDev -3.4%

Bought a 750 mL from down at Dogfish's brew pub last month. Read some reviews and greatly anticipated opening the bottle. Even did a little research into Patrick McGovern's scientific research paper that helped formulate the recipe.

Good carbonation, nice head retention. A golden amber in color. Tasted a little yeasty at first, then a tang spicy, then followed with a mellowing smoothness of chocolate. Smells of a slight hint of honey, then the abruptness of the 9% ABV. Medium-bodied and a bit sweet to the palate. Leaves a pleasant aftertaste from the lingering cacao flavor. Overall, a very smooth beer to drink with a nice mellow flavor. I like this much better than Dogfish's Sahtea. I give an A+ for effort and B/B+ for drinkability (was expecting to have my socks blown off with the buildup of cocoa & chocolate flavors).

3.14/5  rDev -18.4%

I missed this one last year so I had to make sure I got it this time around.

Pours with a one inch head that doesn't last too long. Smells very good. I get a lot of cocoa and interesting spice notes. The taste is okay. If I forget what I'm drinking I can kind of pretend it's a golden ale but the cocoa bitterness lingers a little too long for my liking. About two-thirds through the bottle though, I was interested in the spiciness brought out by the ancho chilies. That was a high point if only for it's uniqueness. If not for the strange cocoa aftertaste this would be much more drinkable. Definitely very different.

1.9/5  rDev -50.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1

Poured into a tulip, little to no head, lighter in color than i expected, like a golden yellow.
Smells faintly of the cocoa, and maybe a bit of chili in the back.
The taste is as bad as any beer as i have had, and that include triple bock. Horrible disjointed mess of a beer. Way too much dry cocoa powder flavor, and cloying honey. and the chili makes it worse. I really don't like this beer, in any shape or form. I managed to finish my glass, but the rest of the bottle was a drain pour.

4.35/5  rDev +13%

Poured into a snifter on 7/9/09

Poured half the bottle - split with a fellow drinker

Bottled in 2009

A - Robust copper color. ½ in head dissipates quickly. Hardly any lacing & it doesn't last.

S - Notes of honey & a dry spiciness from the chilies. Interestingly enough, the nose was not as potent as I would expect.

T - The ancho chilies mostly show themselves with the finish. They offer a dry & lingering spiciness. The heat isn't particularly strong, but it does build on itself. Cocoa is certainly present, but it comes across as kind of tame. I also noticed hints of cinnamon; after investigation, I found that annatto can have a "nutmeg-like quality," which may account for this.

M - Light & crisp mouthfeel which struck me as odd given the ingredients & abv. Carbonation works nicely with the spices. There is an overall dryness that well suits the beer.

D - This is one of the most interesting beers I have had from DFH, if not in general. I could easily drink more. It is kind of expensive, but well worth the price of admission.

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a surprising orange-copper color with a quickly dissipating head that leaves nothing on top. Nose is nice - light honey and spice in there, along with some fairly prominent caramel maltiness. Flavor is consistent - honey, pepper and other spices (straight up chili spiciness shows up as it warms), and chocolate. Feel is a touch thin for the size of the flavor. Overall, a good but not great beer.

Birreria Paradiso/10 oz/$4.25 (HH)

3.42/5  rDev -11.2%

750 ml bottle poured into a Dogfish Head tumbler.

Pours a very light copper color with a strong head that quickly disappears into, well, nothing. The initial pour reminded me of something like Coke or Soda water...heave carbonation during the pour, but the foam disappears quickly, leaving only carbonated bubbles floating up toward the top of the glass...This is not what I expected at all...but then again, this is Dogfish Head, right?

Smell is unique...honey, malts, kind of a cidery aroma here. Some pepper spice maybe, very earthy.

Taste is light, caramel, bitter-sweet. There is a slight pop on the tongue, most likely from the chilies included in the brew...and I like it. It's warming up as I drink, providing a very unique, interested flavor. Not really getting any Cocoa nib flavor here...but maybe those were ever-so-slightly used to balance out the chilies...and, if so, it is a good balance.

Man, it's really warming up...my tongue is alive, and I can feel this settling down in my stomach, like a nice spicy dish.

Overall, this beer is definitely unique. It isn't one that is incredibly drinkable, but, for the experience, and just to sample something experimental like this, it's a good one-timer.

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

A - Orange Pekoe, murky, .25 inch off white head reduces quickly to ring. Bubbly lacing does not stick really.

S - Citrus and spice, with malt all around it. My kid Jacob says berries and hops.

T - Cocoa very apparent, coating my whole tongue. Spices evident, malt predominant. Interesting, but not a big wow for me.

M - Medium body, good carb. Balance good.

D - Fine. Interesting enough and regular beer enough to drink more than a glass.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

I had Theobroma once before this. It was on tap at the DFH brewpub in Rehoboth and the keg was over a year old, from what the barkeep told me. In bottle its not too different but does have some noticeable difference. Pours a hazy copper-orange with white head that foams a bit then settles quickly. Aroma has some hints of the cocoa and is a bit fruity. The chile heat is in there too, seeming spicey especially when sniffed with on open mouth (as opposed to smelling with your mouth closed, look for the difference if you've never done it before). Flavor is quite complex with spice and a little bit of heat from the chilies, a small chocolate essence, some honey sweetness and a fruity body. All of the flavors are reserved, which allows all of them to be present though I can't help wonder what it would be like if any one were a bit stronger. This is, in a way, respectable as DFH often maintains an organic feel to their flavors. The mouthfeel is quite interesting as the slightest bit of heat lingers after each sip. Other than that its got what is sort of a typical dogfish body, mouthfeel, and drinkability. Certainly complex and interesting, though I think some (SOME) may be a bit disappointed to find that with all the crazy anticipation one may build upon reading the ingredient list and the beer's background, it doesn't taste THAT crazy or out there. Its still a beer, not chocolate milk or pepper drink.

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

On-tap 8/3/09 at Julian's in Providence, RI, served in a small wine glass.

A: The beer is a dark gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of spices, fruit, caramelized malts, some hops and a hint of smoke.

T: The taste starts out much sweeter than I expected with flavors of citrus, caramel and spices. Then a hearty malt character comes in and is followed by a good hops presence. I didn't get much honey or chocolate out of it, but there was just a subtle amount of smoke and heat in the background. There's a mild alcohol sting. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, nice representation of style without over-powering you with the chili pepper heat, it's not a beer I could drink consistently but it's a good diversion from your typical beer.

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Had last years batch on tap at Dirty Truth, this years batch was fortunate enough to make it to CT. I Picked up a 750ml bottle from Manchester Wine & Liquors @$10.99 ++.

Pours a bright golden orange with a thick foamy head that disappears a second longer than instantly. Sparse, large bubbles of carbonation rocket to the surface.

Nose is full of honey, some of that described ancho chili detected in the back as well as a possible amount of bittersweet chocolate.

Full-bodied with a slick, creamy texture.

Honey sweet upfront with some fruity character and a hint of vanilla extract. The brew is pretty light in terms of flavor so it drink very quickly for a 9% beer. A bit refreshing with subtle cocao nib bitterness in the end. The chilies come out more in the aroma and in the flavor as it warms. Cocao is more detectable as well. There is some spiciness that numbs the palate a little. I'm not sure if that is from the chilies or the abv but there's a little hum. The beer drinks more like a liqueur than a beer.

The ingredients were used subtly in the brew. There is much less chocolate than I expected, however this is a very interesting beer

Cheers!

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

750 mL bottle

A: Slightly hazy golden amber under a small and short lived white head. No lace, no retention.

S: Sweet malt, a bit toasted, a certain spicey chile character, not vegetable like just a little heat, a bit of herbal quality to it as well. Aroma is a little like a marzen.

T: Sweet again up front. Earthy in the middle, again the spice kicks in and is never vegetable like. Malt backbone is pretty strong as it last until the end. Chile heat remains in pokes its head in at the very very end and is very welcome. It's actually a little remarkable the heat. It seems to first and a little harder between on the way to stomach. The heat that pops up on the tongue is very mild. I think that if the two were reversed (big heat on tongue, milder heat on the way down) it would be a little off putting. Alcohol character is fairly big. There is a certain flavor there that is hovering between fruity and slightly off.

M/D: Medium body, medium carbonation. I would say the drinkability is pretty good based on the uniqueness of the taste alone.

A very interesting beer. Where the aroma and taste seem to lack, they more than make up for in uniqueness. You get something new nearly every sip (which may or may not be a good thing at that particular sip), but will be intriguing none the less.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a DFH Pint Glass:

Appearance: Pours a murky light gold in color, small size head builds and dissapates fairly quickly. Lacing and retention look great all around, soapy and thick on the glass. Didn't expect this color for Theo but nice all around.

Smell: First aromas that hit the nose is a strong amount of malt spice, yet a nice boquet of fruit florals, light and pronounced. Some banana, mango, ginger and a nice dose of honey as well. No chile like aromas in the nose to be found but I'm sure like any DFH brew I'm gonna get blasted in the taste category. Very inviting in the nose.

Taste: Lightly spiced in the malt reigon, I get a nice sense of chile peppers here up front, small bits of cocoa can be found up front as well but not as pronounced as I depicted, this has more of a pronounced fruit profile if anything. I get more banana here, some lightly spiced esters, and a nice dose of alcohol. A very interesting taste to say the least. The finish consists of a blast of honey, some saffron, a little burn from the chile's (I can feel my stomach and throat starting to heat up as I get towards the end of my glass), and a nice consistent dose of some bready malts. Very tasty!

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, stiff maltiness keeps this brew in check from getting too wet on the tongue, bitterness is here but not overly exuberant. Very light and refreshing for a 9% brew!

Drinkability: I can see this as being one of DFH's stabs at a Hefe, as it has alot of light, banana like properties infused here, more so then I get any cocoa or chile properties (although the chiles really hit the palete hard after a couple good gulps). This brew is overly sessionable, very easy to get down and has the right stuff to keep me wondering throughout the whole beer. If this wasn't $12.99 I would make this a regular in my rotation of brews to pick up, but either or, I was very happy I tried this and it confirms my conclusion that Dogfish Head is definetley my favorite brewery. If you see this one the shelf this summer, pick it up and try it. This one will go excellent with some spicy seafood (crab meat with Old Bay seasoning) or even a light pasta dish. Overall another weird, yet perfect effort from Sam and the Dogfish boys.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

On tap @ the Copper Mine Pub (North Arlington, NJ) on 7/24/09. 8 oz pour served in a Chimay glass.

Pours a slightly hazy coppery amber, with a big foamy finger off-white head. Retains around the edges, with some thin wisps in the center, leaving some solid spotty lacing back. The aroma is sweetly spicy in the nose, with notes of cocoa, honey, citrus, and finally, a tickle of chile powder. There is a certains denseness to the nose here, but it is in no way indicitive of the higher ABV that is present.

The taste is cocoa and honey that combine to give this a sticky sweet base, with some additional fruity esters mixing in. The chiles catch fire in the finish, really putting a fairly intense dry lingering spiciness on the palate. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a slick and relatively lower feeling carbonation in the mouth, which compliments the bulk of the sweetness in this. Also, the ABV is extremely well hid in this. There a bit of heft but this is definitely a steady sipper.

I always find it interesting that Dogfish comes up with these wacky extreme beers that always (for good or bad) seem to end up tasting just the way they were shooting for. This is no different, with honey, cocoa, and chile all prominently being on display. Tasty stuff!

3.66/5  rDev -4.9%

This poured a clear dark gold with lots of quickly dying off-white head. It smelled like mild copper hops and dirty barley malt, with a bit of earthy chile peppers. It tasted like earthy caramel malt with rusty copper hops and sweet creamy yeast and cocoa powder, with a bit of chile peppers and must. It was slightly thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a mild aftertaste. Overall this beer definitely tasted like it was brewed from an ancient recipe. It was very interesting to try once, with nice cocoa subtleties. It had solid body and hid the alcohol well. But the flavor wasn't the cleanest or as succulent as I hoped, instead becoming pretty dull after about half the glass. So finishing the bottle was actually somewhat tedious. Novelty more than quality or drinkability.

3.47/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Much lighter in appearance than one might expect. A crisp amber-gold that is slightly cloudy. A lively foam head forms but disappears entirely almost immediately.

A complex, sweet smell with notes of chocolate, honey, bananas and a slight spicy note hiding beneath. Not overpowering at all.

There are so many layers to the taste of this beer it is not even funny. The first impression is a very sweet, almost candy-like cocoa and grape flavor. This fades quickly into an extremely sweet and warming rush of alcohol, which slowly fades into a pleasant, spicy herbal aftertaste. Lots of different tastes to pick up on here, and I've never tasted a beer that changes in taste so dramatically as it goes down. It's interesting, but I'm not sure if I like it or not.

The carbonation goes away so quickly it is almost like drinking a very heavy, flat beer. Certainly a thick feel to it.

To be honest, I will probably have trouble finishing the bottle. The alcohol and the chiles combined make it an EXTREMELY warming brew, and I can already feel it filling my stomach. Not that drinkable. To be enjoyed in moderation.

I was so intrigued by this supposedly ancient recipe that I had to try it out. I'm not sure I would buy it again. Between the high price tag, and the extremity of its flavors, it definitely strikes me as a novelty brew as opposed to something one would regularly drink.

Theobroma from Dogfish Head Brewery