Theobroma - Dogfish Head Brewery

TheobromaTheobroma

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Chile Beer |  9.00% ABV

Theobroma is a celebration of chocolate, the food of the gods.

This Ancient Ale is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras that revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions.

The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1,200 B.C. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head's Theobroma (translated into "food of the gods") is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).

It's light in color, not what you expect from your typical chocolate beer (not that you'd be surpised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!).

(Beer added by: slvrmon82 on 03-21-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Theobroma Alström Bros
4.35/5  rDev +13%

Purchased at Giant Eagle Hermitage last week. Split with my husband and poured into my FFF fancy glass.

A- Body is a very hazy light copper color. Pours with a 1 finger or so soapy white head that quickly fades to a thin collar. Very little lacing is left behind in the glass. Translucency is not uniform and very much alive with some bubbles floating to the top. Some sediment and swirling yeast as well.

S- Nose is faint and offers some orange and honey. I'm really not picking up with the nose. Its nice and soft.

T- Flavor is much more complex than what I pick up in the nose. Orange rind and honey flavors come in up front with chile overtones. Some more chile comes in for the finish but is balanced by more honey, orange, and spices. What lingers is a faint alcohol heat, some chile, a hint of honey and orange, and dark chocolate. Yes...where the chocolate/cocoa comes in here is in the lingering flavor. Rich, dark chocolate.

M- Medium to high tingly carbonation and a medium to heavy weight body with a good smooth body. Just a hint of astringency comes through.

O- Overall- this reminds me most of a wheatwine or braggot. The nose and palate are somewhat soft- but wow the palate is so softly complex. I am a big fan of brews that use chilies peppers-espicially porters/stouts- but this one takes the complexity to a whole new level.

PittBeerGirl, Nov 12, 2014
4.27/5  rDev +10.9%

Date: 8/31/2014
Other notes: Bottling date looks to be Jan 2014

Appearance - 4.25/5
Pours a light orange color. The beer would be fairly clear, but there are tons and tons of particles in the beer. But I assume this is part of the style, and actually adds to the beers appeal IMO. After settling in the glass after a minute, there is no head to be seen at all. Lots of carbonation bubbles can be seen rising through the beer. I'd say what I like about the look of this beer is the color, and the intrigue. Perhaps the intrigue though is less of from the look, and more of just from really being curious about what this 'Ancient Ale' tastes like.

Smell - 4.25/5
Smells of orange, honey, alcohol, a little bit of (chile?) spice and chocolate. Also some other hard to describe smells which I assume are some of the unique ingrediants which I am not familiar with. Overall, I really like the smell. It is very intriguing and makes me want to drink

Taste - 4.5/5
The main taste I get is the honey-orange taste. The spice is not nearly as strong as I was expecting. Although I found that after drinking more, you can soon feel the spice (very mildly) burn a little bit in the back of your throat. I know this is supposed to be a chocolate beverage, but I am having difficulty detecting that. I think perhaps it's because it's not the chocolately taste which I am used to, but rather more of an ancient chocolate taste, that is to say--cocoa/cacao. After thinking about what I think cocoa would taste like, I think I can detect it. And I think the sweet honey flavor I was describing which went along with the orange flavor, is really a combination of the honey and the cocoa. I really like the complexities of the taste, and there is a lot going on in this beer. Overall, the taste of the beer is hard for me to explain, since I have never tasted anything like this before, but I really like the taste and think it is delicious. Not something I would have all the time--but I don't think that's the point of this beer. The point is to create an experience. To taste what this ancient beverage of the Americas would mostly likely have tasted like. And given that purpose, I think it succeeds well (of course, not being 3000 years old, I have no way of actually knowing how close to the taste of the original beverage this is).

Mouthfeel - 4/5
The beer is fairly light in body. The carbonation is light. the feel is in between crisp and creamy. I like the tingling spicy sensation which occurs in my mouth and throat. The spice is very low (for my palate, at least), and so it's not at all overpowering, but rather really enhances the taste and the mouthfeel.

Overall - 4.6/5
Overall, this beer was not exactly what I was expecting. Yet at the same time I really had no idea what to expect. I thought this was a great beer, and definitely something I would get again in the future, or would recommend to others. I totally love the idea of the 'Ancient Ale' series which Dogfish Head has been doing. I have not had any of the other ancient ales yet, but this beer really makes me want to try and find others (I know I saw another one at the local beer store which I will probably pick up soon)

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%

brungl, Oct 29, 2014
3.85/5  rDev 0%

chewymangos, Oct 28, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

jessealmlie, Oct 28, 2014