Sah'tea - Dogfish Head Brewery

Sah'teaSah'tea

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Sahti |  9.00% ABV

This Ancient Ale is a modern take on a 9th-century Finnish beer.

The wort for Sah'tea is caramelized over white-hot river rocks, and the beer is fermented with a German weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged from the Finnish countryside, Sah'tea is flavored with black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper.

The spicing is subtle and balanced, and Sah'tea is a highly-quaffable, truly unique brew with a full mouthfeel.

(Beer added by: DarkerTheBetter on 09-28-2008)
Reviews by FernMaster:
4.35/5  rDev +11.8%

Poured from the bottle into a Tulip.

This seems fitting to drink after watching Dogfish Head the Show, or Brewmasters. I first heard of this beer when a buddy of mine, mmva321, sent me a text message from a bar in Springfield Illinois (I know crazy, imagine finding a bar there) telling me about a chai tea beer. I personally love Chai Tea, so this was some exciting news. He also seemed to enjoy it and the next day he bought himself a bottle and one for me.

Pouring this beer you get the carbonation and some very nice head. I have some moderate lacing on my glass and there's a constant ring around the top. The color is a nice orange color but there's a lot of floaters in the glass, in that regards it looks like a fish tank needing to be cleaned. However, I had to really look into the light to see that there was so much in the glass, so it really doesn't detract from the beer's look to much.

The smell is driving me insane. By that I mean, my mouth is watering and I'm wanting to drink this beer. I'm truly, truly fighting myself right now from just picking this up and drinking, I really want to get this part of the review down first. From the first moment I poured the beer I could smell Sah'tea, even from a couple feet away. I made my friend Reaper16 hover around and sniff before I poured his ass a drink. It has these floral qualities to it and you can smell the black chai tea. It's such an unique flavor with the beer and malts. I'm in love with the smell of this beer.

I've never had a Sahti so I can rate it more closely to the style, else wise I'm right now basing it off of my Starbucks tea experiences. I kid, I kid. This is pretty good. I'm liking this. My initial reaction is just, hot damn, this is good. As I sit and analyze the components, I'm not disagreeing with my initial reaction. There's floral components to it and I'm getting a bit of orange in the flavor as well. Maybe also a little bit of lemon or something else that adds a citrus quality. I just read the bottle, juniper is the taste. Duh. I knew that. The tea is very prevalent and it's a great addition to Sah'tea. You get the spice from this added to the citrus and floral notes and it just creates a very intriguing and awesome flavor.

This is a very frothy beer, like in the show, Dogfish He...er Brewmasters. I've always wanted to get a super frothy beer like they show, but I've never had a dogfish head beer do so, this does. God I want to stop writing and sit with this beer now. Am I going to say anything in this section that will deter you from drinking this beer or push you over on the edge of "okay, sure I guess I'll try it now." If you see this beer on the shelves, freaking buy a bottle. I live in Missouri and I can't get this very easily, by that I mean I can't get it. If you live in a place that can get it and you haven't tried it yet, quit being a jerk and buy a bottle.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

x2 Dogfish Head Sah'tea... 9% alcohol.

A- Pours a crisp golden fluid with a spritzed clarity that is flawless in constancy. Beautiful active ring remains around glass with massive lacing sticking to walls.

S- Sweet like cider. Also scents of fresh honey and chai tea. Very strong presence of all spice... nutmeg, clove, and cinnimon.

T-M- Metallic front with massive tart sweetness. Fresh taste of juniper berries, chai tea, cinnimon, ginger and cloves upfront. Light but present hop bitterness with small malt backbone. Mouthfeel is great with mild carbonation that tingle the tongue making the tart of the beer smoothly fall back. Leaves a lasting fruity presence on the mouth... almost like wild berries.

D- Very drinkable beer that has a complex flavor to think about as you drink. I'm still thinking... Will buy again...

3.45/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Evan1023 for this one.

75cL bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottle date read 'Bottled in 2009'

It pours a hazy golden orange with a 3 finger pillowy frothy head. Minimal lacing ran down the glass as it emptied.

At first whiff I'm getting some nutmeg and clove smells but when I stick my whole nose in I'm getting a distinct chai tea smell. It seems like a great marriage of malty sweet beer and black tea.

Taste is just like someone mixed in some chai tea with a light crystal malt heavy base beer. I'm also picking up some orange taste. I'm not sure if this is from any citrus hops or if they used orange peel in the process. It finishes a little too sweet.

It is very full bodied malty spicy beer. The drinkability suffers from how spiced and heavy it is. I drank the whole 75cL but was rather tired after the first half.

I am a chai tea lover and average about one a day so I really was looking forward to trying this beer. It does satisfy me in that the flavor components are there but I was kind of wishing for a more bold tea flavor from something coming from DFH. I am glad I tried it and enjoyed it but would recommend having no more than about 8oz. at a time. After that it becomes too filling and kind of a chore to drink.

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

A: a hazy burnt gold, thin foam ring coats the surface.

S: a wicked explosion of various flavors, a stew of hops, malts, berries, chai teas, and a plethora of other flavors that defy description.

T: what doesnt this beer have? hops, malts, cloves, coriander, berries, chai tea, spices, citrus... and the list goes on. what in the world just happened to my tastebuds?

MF/D: epic. smooth, bitter, carbonated, dry, sweet... all at once. a symphony on the senses. thank you sir, may i have another?

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice attempt, could have been better. In a mug the beer was an orange color with a small white head. Sweet malt aroma, tea, juniper. The taste was lacking, all I could get was sweet tea. Where's the rye and juniper? On the bland side. I really like DFH and applaud their outside the box thinking, but this was a miss for me.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

This beer was yet another surprise from the good guys over at DFH. When i hear the run down on these big beers of theirs, I never even know what to expect out of the bottle let alone from the beer. I split a bottle into two New Belgium Worthy's and watched the show as the carbonation created a sort of spring in the middle of the beer.

Upon tasting, I decided that this was an awesome Biere de garde/mars. The spice character gave it a perfect play of pumpkin pie spice that I associate with NB's biere de mars and LA's Avante Garde. The juniper berry added a pleasant but not over powering sweetness. The mouth feel was light and airy. I could have drank the whole bottle over a lunch of fresh bread, sopressata and tallegio... or maybe just with some homemade vanilla ice cream?

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%

An aggressive pour from the big bottle leaves me 3/4 full of beer with 4" of foam. By the time I can write this sentence, however, the foam dissipates to a thin layer. The liquid looks light in color, but opaque nonetheless. I always think minimal light passage adds an appealing dimension of mystery to beers like this.

The smell is kinda weird. I definitely smell the rye and, honestly, that's not one of my favorites. I can't identify the juniper berries, and that's disappointing. I do smell what must be the hot rock smokiness. Still, it smells more like a tea than a beer.

It tastes like a hot tea served cold. It's got an herbal feel to it, and a sweetness I attribute to the juniper berries. It's also got a Belgian feel to it, in both the taste and smell--maybe that's the rye?. Oddly (because I hardly ever drink them), it reminds me of a Hoegarden. Like a tea (and perhaps a Hoegarden), you could serve it with a lemon. This is the Dogfish big bottle for girls. It's light and crisp, and almost tastes good for you. I really wonder what it'd be like served pipin' hot like hot tea. It's really difficult to judge because it's so in a class by itself (how many sahti-style beers are there, really), a characteristic of Dogfish Head I really appreciate. It's too weird, though, for me to call it a good beer, but I like it more than your average tea.

The Dogfish beers seem to always offer good mouthfeels. They're appropriately carbonated, and maybe the novelty of their ingredients makes them more fresh. It's a light, lemon-like, tea sort of effect. I call it a rye beer only after that. Its sweet juniper berries mesh with rye and chai tea. Where its weirdness might hurt it elsewhere, I think it really makes the mouthfeel. It's really neat to just sit and hold this one, furrowing your brows as it piques your curiosity.

Drinkability is good because it's so unique and light. It's not exceptionally good because the beer is so weird. Though you could certainly wonder about and enjoy this beer all the way thru a serving, I don't think this is one you pound in one sitting to discover (like you might an Abyss or some other complex RIS). It's no doubt another extraordinary DFH concoction worthy of any craft brew collection.

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

3.55/5  rDev -8.7%

750ml bottle. Pours a hazy yellow orange with a small fizzy white head that quickly disappears.

The aroma is lots of spices - ginger, tea, a little fruitiness and some floral notes. Some yeast comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet melons and citric fruits with some tea spices (ginger), leading to a bit of bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and syrupy with light but sharp carbonation.

Overall, an interesting beer. It is a bit much on the sweet side.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Never had this style so don't know what to expect, especially with a DFH version. The bottle pours a slightly hazed yellow golden body with a tall vanilla head. Good retention and some curtains of lace are left on the glass.

Perfumey aroma! Sandalwood incense, floral hops, juniper berries, and nutmeg are all I can hope to nail down. Lots going on with the bouquet but it is pleasantly floral and herbal.

Mouthfeel is light and airy, though the body is what I would call a light medium. Spritzy carbonation works well.

Taste has a prevailing astringent bitterness that may come from the chai tea but the juniper berries certainly contribute. A gin-like presence caught me off guard midway through, but the alcohol is not noticed even at the 9% abv. Lots of enigmatic herbal notes and a definite note of nutmeg add to the complexity. By the end of the bottle I really liked the odd flavors going on here.

Another adventurous beverage from Dogfish Head. I would definitely have another one of these.

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

Smells JUST like chai tea, and tastes like a beer, but with a total hit of cardamom.

It's a gorgeous opaque tawny gold, orange where it's thick, yellow where the glass is thin.
The smell IS chai--its smell is both creamy and full of cardamom. The fist sip is refreshing, a hit of orange and clove. I can also taste the cream and the tea--the beer flavor is in the background, with the tea dominant. The mouthfeel is smooth and bubbly--there isn't much of a head, but the carbonation is definitely noticeable. The spice to it has a touch of a ginger flavour, but the most dominant flavour is cardamom, with a touch of clove.

I absolutely love this beer; it's probably my favorite from Dogfish Head. A touch pricey, but completely worth, and will keep buying as long as it's in stock.

3.85/5  rDev -1%

This is my first go with a Sahti. I drink quite a bit of Tea, and Chai is no exception. I was fortunate to have a new friend pop this one open for my wife and I.
A: Bright yellow with a hint of orange. A small half finger head quickly dissipated to nothing. It seemed a bit under carbonated.
S: Smells like a good strong spiced yet somehow mellow Chai. Cinnamon, clove, cardamom all come through nicely. A sweet honey and banana smell come out as well.
T: Tastes quite sweet with a bit of cinnamon spice aftertaste. I love this one especially for dessert with some flan or cheesecake.
B: Medium to full bodied, syrupy sweet rounded mouthiness. Low carbonation with I think could be a bit higher to spread out the sweetness.
D: I like this one quite a bit but need to share it with a few friends, so drink-ability is kind of average.

3.5/5  rDev -10%