Sah'tea - Dogfish Head Brewery

Sah'teaSah'tea

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Sahti |  9.00% ABV

This Ancient Ale is a modern take on a 9th-century Finnish beer.

The wort for Sah'tea is caramelized over white-hot river rocks, and the beer is fermented with a German weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged from the Finnish countryside, Sah'tea is flavored with black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper.

The spicing is subtle and balanced, and Sah'tea is a highly-quaffable, truly unique brew with a full mouthfeel.

(Beer added by: DarkerTheBetter on 09-28-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by FernMaster:
FernMaster

Missouri

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from the bottle into a Tulip.

This seems fitting to drink after watching Dogfish Head the Show, or Brewmasters. I first heard of this beer when a buddy of mine, mmva321, sent me a text message from a bar in Springfield Illinois (I know crazy, imagine finding a bar there) telling me about a chai tea beer. I personally love Chai Tea, so this was some exciting news. He also seemed to enjoy it and the next day he bought himself a bottle and one for me.

Pouring this beer you get the carbonation and some very nice head. I have some moderate lacing on my glass and there's a constant ring around the top. The color is a nice orange color but there's a lot of floaters in the glass, in that regards it looks like a fish tank needing to be cleaned. However, I had to really look into the light to see that there was so much in the glass, so it really doesn't detract from the beer's look to much.

The smell is driving me insane. By that I mean, my mouth is watering and I'm wanting to drink this beer. I'm truly, truly fighting myself right now from just picking this up and drinking, I really want to get this part of the review down first. From the first moment I poured the beer I could smell Sah'tea, even from a couple feet away. I made my friend Reaper16 hover around and sniff before I poured his ass a drink. It has these floral qualities to it and you can smell the black chai tea. It's such an unique flavor with the beer and malts. I'm in love with the smell of this beer.

I've never had a Sahti so I can rate it more closely to the style, else wise I'm right now basing it off of my Starbucks tea experiences. I kid, I kid. This is pretty good. I'm liking this. My initial reaction is just, hot damn, this is good. As I sit and analyze the components, I'm not disagreeing with my initial reaction. There's floral components to it and I'm getting a bit of orange in the flavor as well. Maybe also a little bit of lemon or something else that adds a citrus quality. I just read the bottle, juniper is the taste. Duh. I knew that. The tea is very prevalent and it's a great addition to Sah'tea. You get the spice from this added to the citrus and floral notes and it just creates a very intriguing and awesome flavor.

This is a very frothy beer, like in the show, Dogfish He...er Brewmasters. I've always wanted to get a super frothy beer like they show, but I've never had a dogfish head beer do so, this does. God I want to stop writing and sit with this beer now. Am I going to say anything in this section that will deter you from drinking this beer or push you over on the edge of "okay, sure I guess I'll try it now." If you see this beer on the shelves, freaking buy a bottle. I live in Missouri and I can't get this very easily, by that I mean I can't get it. If you live in a place that can get it and you haven't tried it yet, quit being a jerk and buy a bottle.

01-04-2011 03:25:46 | More by FernMaster

alamb

07-21-2014 23:04:20 | More by alamb
1000lbgrizzly

4.09/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Slightly clouded yellow-orange, loose particles of sediment. Negligible head retention. Bright!

S: Vibrant spices, just like a chai tea- ginger, clove, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon (not at all subtle). Color me impressed!

T: Same as above, with the addition of some lightly bitter hops (or maybe juniper), black tea in the far back. A few sips verge on the downright heated spice. A considerable amount of sweetness.

M: Lightly syrupy, nothing cloying, and still fluid and light.

O: Damn good! Liberal in the additives, but carefully meted and balanced by one another. Surely not a typical style, but if you have an open mind you will at least be able to appreciate this one (and if not send it to me!)

07-21-2014 06:36:33 | More by 1000lbgrizzly

Tone

Missouri

3.91/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy, copper color. 2/3 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of strong juniper, sweet malt, hint of earthy malt, hint of alcohol, cream, hint of rye. Fits the style of a Sahti. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of juniper, sweet malt, grass, earthy malt, rye, biscuit, slight tea, and alcohol. Overall, an interesting brew, good appearance, aroma, body, and blend.

07-17-2014 13:35:47 | More by Tone