Sah'tea - Dogfish Head Brewery

Sah'teaSah'tea

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Sahti |  9.00% ABV

This Ancient Ale is a modern take on a 9th-century Finnish beer.

The wort for Sah'tea is caramelized over white-hot river rocks, and the beer is fermented with a German weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged from the Finnish countryside, Sah'tea is flavored with black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper.

The spicing is subtle and balanced, and Sah'tea is a highly-quaffable, truly unique brew with a full mouthfeel.

(Beer added by: DarkerTheBetter on 09-28-2008)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

05-28-2013 04:47:15 | More by Tiernan
wesbrownyeah

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

x2 Dogfish Head Sah'tea... 9% alcohol.

A- Pours a crisp golden fluid with a spritzed clarity that is flawless in constancy. Beautiful active ring remains around glass with massive lacing sticking to walls.

S- Sweet like cider. Also scents of fresh honey and chai tea. Very strong presence of all spice... nutmeg, clove, and cinnimon.

T-M- Metallic front with massive tart sweetness. Fresh taste of juniper berries, chai tea, cinnimon, ginger and cloves upfront. Light but present hop bitterness with small malt backbone. Mouthfeel is great with mild carbonation that tingle the tongue making the tart of the beer smoothly fall back. Leaves a lasting fruity presence on the mouth... almost like wild berries.

D- Very drinkable beer that has a complex flavor to think about as you drink. I'm still thinking... Will buy again...

10-23-2009 02:32:43 | More by wesbrownyeah
weatherdog

3.45/5  rDev -11.3%

Thanks to Evan1023 for this one.

75cL bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottle date read 'Bottled in 2009'

It pours a hazy golden orange with a 3 finger pillowy frothy head. Minimal lacing ran down the glass as it emptied.

At first whiff I'm getting some nutmeg and clove smells but when I stick my whole nose in I'm getting a distinct chai tea smell. It seems like a great marriage of malty sweet beer and black tea.

Taste is just like someone mixed in some chai tea with a light crystal malt heavy base beer. I'm also picking up some orange taste. I'm not sure if this is from any citrus hops or if they used orange peel in the process. It finishes a little too sweet.

It is very full bodied malty spicy beer. The drinkability suffers from how spiced and heavy it is. I drank the whole 75cL but was rather tired after the first half.

I am a chai tea lover and average about one a day so I really was looking forward to trying this beer. It does satisfy me in that the flavor components are there but I was kind of wishing for a more bold tea flavor from something coming from DFH. I am glad I tried it and enjoyed it but would recommend having no more than about 8oz. at a time. After that it becomes too filling and kind of a chore to drink.

01-07-2010 05:18:42 | More by weatherdog
SkiBum22

10-23-2013 00:33:59 | More by SkiBum22
Firefox13

02-06-2013 14:55:20 | More by Firefox13
newk340

Wisconsin

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

A: a hazy burnt gold, thin foam ring coats the surface.

S: a wicked explosion of various flavors, a stew of hops, malts, berries, chai teas, and a plethora of other flavors that defy description.

T: what doesnt this beer have? hops, malts, cloves, coriander, berries, chai tea, spices, citrus... and the list goes on. what in the world just happened to my tastebuds?

MF/D: epic. smooth, bitter, carbonated, dry, sweet... all at once. a symphony on the senses. thank you sir, may i have another?

09-22-2010 17:52:53 | More by newk340
Kjanisch7

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

07-15-2013 18:12:28 | More by Kjanisch7
lordofthewiens

Maine

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%

Nice attempt, could have been better. In a mug the beer was an orange color with a small white head. Sweet malt aroma, tea, juniper. The taste was lacking, all I could get was sweet tea. Where's the rye and juniper? On the bland side. I really like DFH and applaud their outside the box thinking, but this was a miss for me.

07-28-2009 20:59:32 | More by lordofthewiens
gregmoscetti

4.2/5  rDev +8%

This beer was yet another surprise from the good guys over at DFH. When i hear the run down on these big beers of theirs, I never even know what to expect out of the bottle let alone from the beer. I split a bottle into two New Belgium Worthy's and watched the show as the carbonation created a sort of spring in the middle of the beer.

Upon tasting, I decided that this was an awesome Biere de garde/mars. The spice character gave it a perfect play of pumpkin pie spice that I associate with NB's biere de mars and LA's Avante Garde. The juniper berry added a pleasant but not over powering sweetness. The mouth feel was light and airy. I could have drank the whole bottle over a lunch of fresh bread, sopressata and tallegio... or maybe just with some homemade vanilla ice cream?

12-16-2009 07:45:07 | More by gregmoscetti
csmartin6

07-21-2012 18:31:15 | More by csmartin6
heddar33

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

09-16-2012 20:57:32 | More by heddar33
marvin213

3.53/5  rDev -9.3%

An aggressive pour from the big bottle leaves me 3/4 full of beer with 4" of foam. By the time I can write this sentence, however, the foam dissipates to a thin layer. The liquid looks light in color, but opaque nonetheless. I always think minimal light passage adds an appealing dimension of mystery to beers like this.

The smell is kinda weird. I definitely smell the rye and, honestly, that's not one of my favorites. I can't identify the juniper berries, and that's disappointing. I do smell what must be the hot rock smokiness. Still, it smells more like a tea than a beer.

It tastes like a hot tea served cold. It's got an herbal feel to it, and a sweetness I attribute to the juniper berries. It's also got a Belgian feel to it, in both the taste and smell--maybe that's the rye?. Oddly (because I hardly ever drink them), it reminds me of a Hoegarden. Like a tea (and perhaps a Hoegarden), you could serve it with a lemon. This is the Dogfish big bottle for girls. It's light and crisp, and almost tastes good for you. I really wonder what it'd be like served pipin' hot like hot tea. It's really difficult to judge because it's so in a class by itself (how many sahti-style beers are there, really), a characteristic of Dogfish Head I really appreciate. It's too weird, though, for me to call it a good beer, but I like it more than your average tea.

The Dogfish beers seem to always offer good mouthfeels. They're appropriately carbonated, and maybe the novelty of their ingredients makes them more fresh. It's a light, lemon-like, tea sort of effect. I call it a rye beer only after that. Its sweet juniper berries mesh with rye and chai tea. Where its weirdness might hurt it elsewhere, I think it really makes the mouthfeel. It's really neat to just sit and hold this one, furrowing your brows as it piques your curiosity.

Drinkability is good because it's so unique and light. It's not exceptionally good because the beer is so weird. Though you could certainly wonder about and enjoy this beer all the way thru a serving, I don't think this is one you pound in one sitting to discover (like you might an Abyss or some other complex RIS). It's no doubt another extraordinary DFH concoction worthy of any craft brew collection.

07-09-2009 22:33:17 | More by marvin213
dieBlume

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%

09-11-2013 22:59:17 | More by dieBlume
Beaver13

Colorado

3.55/5  rDev -8.7%

750ml bottle. Pours a hazy yellow orange with a small fizzy white head that quickly disappears.

The aroma is lots of spices - ginger, tea, a little fruitiness and some floral notes. Some yeast comes out as it warms.

The flavor is sweet melons and citric fruits with some tea spices (ginger), leading to a bit of bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and syrupy with light but sharp carbonation.

Overall, an interesting beer. It is a bit much on the sweet side.

08-25-2009 05:53:38 | More by Beaver13

02-02-2012 04:19:16 | More by psujorge
merlin48

Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

Never had this style so don't know what to expect, especially with a DFH version. The bottle pours a slightly hazed yellow golden body with a tall vanilla head. Good retention and some curtains of lace are left on the glass.

Perfumey aroma! Sandalwood incense, floral hops, juniper berries, and nutmeg are all I can hope to nail down. Lots going on with the bouquet but it is pleasantly floral and herbal.

Mouthfeel is light and airy, though the body is what I would call a light medium. Spritzy carbonation works well.

Taste has a prevailing astringent bitterness that may come from the chai tea but the juniper berries certainly contribute. A gin-like presence caught me off guard midway through, but the alcohol is not noticed even at the 9% abv. Lots of enigmatic herbal notes and a definite note of nutmeg add to the complexity. By the end of the bottle I really liked the odd flavors going on here.

Another adventurous beverage from Dogfish Head. I would definitely have another one of these.

07-18-2010 16:46:08 | More by merlin48
Perkyanda

4.4/5  rDev +13.1%

Smells JUST like chai tea, and tastes like a beer, but with a total hit of cardamom.

It's a gorgeous opaque tawny gold, orange where it's thick, yellow where the glass is thin.
The smell IS chai--its smell is both creamy and full of cardamom. The fist sip is refreshing, a hit of orange and clove. I can also taste the cream and the tea--the beer flavor is in the background, with the tea dominant. The mouthfeel is smooth and bubbly--there isn't much of a head, but the carbonation is definitely noticeable. The spice to it has a touch of a ginger flavour, but the most dominant flavour is cardamom, with a touch of clove.

I absolutely love this beer; it's probably my favorite from Dogfish Head. A touch pricey, but completely worth, and will keep buying as long as it's in stock.

08-18-2009 05:24:50 | More by Perkyanda
Homebrew35

Connecticut

3.85/5  rDev -1%

This is my first go with a Sahti. I drink quite a bit of Tea, and Chai is no exception. I was fortunate to have a new friend pop this one open for my wife and I.
A: Bright yellow with a hint of orange. A small half finger head quickly dissipated to nothing. It seemed a bit under carbonated.
S: Smells like a good strong spiced yet somehow mellow Chai. Cinnamon, clove, cardamom all come through nicely. A sweet honey and banana smell come out as well.
T: Tastes quite sweet with a bit of cinnamon spice aftertaste. I love this one especially for dessert with some flan or cheesecake.
B: Medium to full bodied, syrupy sweet rounded mouthiness. Low carbonation with I think could be a bit higher to spread out the sweetness.
D: I like this one quite a bit but need to share it with a few friends, so drink-ability is kind of average.

08-29-2010 04:06:02 | More by Homebrew35
mctizzz

3.5/5  rDev -10%

07-03-2013 19:28:10 | More by mctizzz
tigg924

3.38/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance: minimal head, orange/yellow in color, moderate carbonation, clear with sediment

Smell: honey, cloves, cinnamon, and chai tea

Taste: honey, cloves, cinnamon, toasted malt, herbs, and chai tea

Mouthfeel: very sweet with a small bit of bitterness at the end, minimal carbonation, medium body, sticky

Drinkability: Like drinking an alcoholic chai tea, it has got interesting spicing like their Midas Touch. I appreciate their creativity, but this is a bit too sweet for me. It was hard to finish this one.

02-01-2010 15:57:37 | More by tigg924