Sah'tea - Dogfish Head Brewery

Sah'teaSah'tea

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Sahti |  9.00% ABV

This Ancient Ale is a modern take on a 9th-century Finnish beer.

The wort for Sah'tea is caramelized over white-hot river rocks, and the beer is fermented with a German weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged from the Finnish countryside, Sah'tea is flavored with black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper.

The spicing is subtle and balanced, and Sah'tea is a highly-quaffable, truly unique brew with a full mouthfeel.

(Beer added by: DarkerTheBetter on 09-28-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sah'tea Alström Bros
4.13/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is cloudy yellowish-orange in color and poured with a thin white head that quickly faded away leaving lacy patterns of bubbles on the surface. Some yeast particles are visible floating in suspension.
S: There are strong aromas of tea leaves and juniper berries in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste is filled with flavors of chai tea and juniper berries. There is a slight amount of sweetness in the finish, which has some hints of fruits and honey.
M: It feels medium-bodied on the palate and has a light amount of carbonation.
D: The beer is very drinkable because the alcohol content is well hidden. I would definitely try this beer again because it is very unique.

3.58/5  rDev -8%

Pours a hazy bright orange color with 1 finger of fluffy white head.

The scent was of berries, citrus, and tea.

The taste was of grapefruit and other citrus at first, then there was notes of berries, tea, wheat, and sweet malt.

Light bodied, very crisp at first then finishing somewhat creamy, high carbonation.

This beer had very complex flavor, I thought it was a bit out of balance, at times it was too sweet and others kind of sour. Though it was interesting I'm not sure I'd be interested in this again.

4.33/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Poured into a 16oz tulip. Hazed orange with a golden tint to it. Admittedly I had to practically force a head on it.

S - Huge berry and clove notes with orange hiding in there somewhere.

T - Orange and yeast up front that mingle with tea notes. Berries, clove, and a hint of booze follow.

M - Nice even medium body. Just enough carbonation to dance on the tongue.

D - High ABV hinders a bit. Good enough to keep going in my opinion.

I was really impressed with this. Spiced beer I'm sure is frowned upon by the purists, but not me. I'm a little surprised that I haven't read higher reviews. Thoroughly enjoyed.

Think I will pick up a bottle to put away.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

My first (and likely only) sahti beer. This breaks with tradition but who cares.

It pours a particle filled golden colour with a big white head. Some lacing is left behind as it settles to a cap of foam.

The smell is a complex mix. My first thought was - unibroue.. as their beers have big yeasty, clovey smells. This one is similar.. with yeast, clove, ginger and sweet malted honey.

The taste bumps it all up a notch. Big volume of sweet malts, combined with oodles of spice.. clove, cinnamon and other chai flavours come through in spades. Complex as hell and very well done. Its lacking some balance but I think that's true to style (no hops). Alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel is a touch thick but considering how big this beer is it's not much of a fault. Carbonation is good but could be bumped up a touch for my tastes.

Drinkability.. well done. For a beer of this strength and complexity you have done well!

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured out of a DFH Bomber into a tulip glass.
Not entirely sure how a Sa'hti is supposed to look , but it is pretty solid. Fills the glass a copper autumn color and left no real substantial white head.

Smelled of Cinnamon and ginger, basically chai tea spice, slight alcohol in the nose.

The flavor leads me to a confusing conclusion, why does this beer taste more like a pumpkin beer than any pumpkin beer I've ever had? Pumpkin and spice stand out with the cloves and ginger leading to a delicious flavor I was not expecting. Delicious yes. Unintended, maybe.

There is a medium body to it with semi heavy carbonation.

Quite drinkable for one. And thats the number I would recommend.

Not very affordable as this bomber puts you negative 15 bones

4.5/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A-gold, slightly hazy with thin white head

S-resembles a belgian pale ale, there's definitely a spice to it, juniper scent is slightly noticeable. cinnamon is there too.

T-wow this is one complex beer! taste is close to a very crisp, strong belgian pale ale. the chai and juniper tastes are there, but there are so many other yummy tastes i can't define/ the after-taste is so refreshing and long lasting!

M-medium to heavy carbonation with a very nice smooth creamy finish!

D-mmm i could drink a lot of this. is it really 9% abv?? it goes down so easily!! i love it! good thing it comes in a 750mL bottle!

3.6/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

BOTTLED IN 2010

Bomber from Beverage Mart, NY 66.

A very nice cloudy orange/amber. Thin head, very minimal lacing. Light carbonation. Smell is amazing. Sweet, citrus, spice, banana, grapefruit. Very, very complex aroma.

Taste is similar, what I would expect from a farmhouse ale, but still different. Very similar to the aroma, there is a spiciness start to finish, and a warming sensation -- not surprising considering the 9% abv. Almost has the viscosity of a stout or porter -- slightly syrupy.

This was definitely an interesting experience (I would expect nothing less from DFH) and I look forward to trying it again soon.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazed dulled gold with minimal to no head. Scent is very wheat beer like with underlying tones of berry and herbal ingredients. Taste brings the notes of berry, mild herbs to the front, while a wheat beer background is still present. A noticeable alcohol quality lingers in the rear. Medium bodied, maybe slightly undercarbonated. A very pleasent suprise of a beer.

Had a sample at the Blackback Pub and Flyshop.

A: Pours a nice golden amber color. Provides a nice off white foam head with ample lacing.

S: Lots of chai tea, citrus fruits, banana, spice and juniper. The juniper and chai tea are the most prevalent. Kind of reminds me of a Hefeweizen.

T: The wheat, chai tea and juniper are very apparent throughout the tasting. There is some banana and spice on the back end but the junper masks them for the most part.

M: A very light crisp flavor on the palate.

D: This was my first adventure with a Sahti and I enjoyed it. The alcohol is masked nicely which makes having one or two in a sitting feasible.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

A: The color was golden brown, actually it matched my cupboards exactly :) Decent head and lacing. There were a few little floaties inside of the beer, not sure where those came from.

S: At first the smell reminded me of an American wheat beer-- not appetizing in my opinion. However, there were also strong elements of chai spice. The spice and earth flavours came to the front after a few minutes.

T: The beer has the background of a wheat beer. The spice is delicate at first and becomes more prominent as you continue to drink. Very interesting combination of flavours. Despite having no hops, the spice of the beer gives it a good bite and freshness...

M/D: Mouthfeel was good, thats about all I can say about it. I did enjoy this beer, although I have no clue how I should rate such a strange beer. I would like it again, but I would need to wait several months. Perhaps it fills a strange niche in the beer world.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

Cloudy gold with a 2-finger white head, and bubbles rising gently. Good retention, with distinct rings of lacing. Thick body, quite viscous on the tongue.

Chai spices hit the nose, eventually discerning herbacious juniper and sweet banana notes not unlike a hefeweizen. Cardamon, cloves, sweet fruit, and juniper are surprisingly balanced without hop bitterness, though a bit on a sweet side. Just make sure to drink it cold to mute the sweetness, or it becomes too cloying. Interesting lingering yeast flavor in the finish, quite unlike anything I've had before in a beer, almost like a bread yeast (I bake bread regularly).

A refreshing and creative brew that jives with my worldly sensibilities. The hidden ABV is a nice bonus. I wish I encountered it earlier in the summer. DFH is brewing some really interesting stuff and this one will be a summer regular for me.

3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Review from notes taken on 8/18/10.

On tap at Als of Hampden served in a type of goblet and quite cold. It appears a hazed golden color with little to no lacing effect and very poor head retension. All that remains reminescent of a head is a bread of white bubbles around the glass.

The nose of this brew is very hefeweizen-like. It needs to really warm up before the sweet smelling scents of clove and other spices come out with a bit of herbal character. Some fruitiness is noted along with an eatery alcohol presence.

The taste again is very much like hefeweizen initially but with an exaggerated amount of clove and spices that have a bit of an herbal twang and increased dryness with the way the spices hang on the tongue. The warmth of the alcohol fills the back of the throat and the spices incorporate a mild bitterness that counters the sweetness and spiciness of this brew.

Lots of lingering spiced flavors left in the mouth that come across a bit peppery at times. This is a medium bodied brew and moderately carbonated. Fairly drinkable for 9% but gets more complex and enjoyable as it gets slightly warmer.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

750ml bottle into tulip pint.

The beer pours a cloudy golden yellow with chunks of yeast throughout, as well as a thick white head.

The aroma is strongly of herbs and spice, with some juniper notes.

The flavor also has notes of spice, though thankfully they are a bit more subdued then in the aroma. There is also a light citric touch, followed by very light tea notes. As the beer warms the tea flavors become quite a bit more prominent.

The mouthfeel suites the flavors well, with a medium body and light carbonation.

This is a very easy drinking and pleasant beer, with the tea characteristics probably better enjoyed on a warm summer day though. I really enjoyed the ability of the flavors to be very unique but still feel quite familiar and at home in a beer.

3.33/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Ap. Cloudy and hazy, kind of an orange/golden light brown color with a nice inch high head even though it was cold. Very pretty beer.
Sm. Spicy, citrisy, cloves? maybe. Not really very appetizing to me.
Ta. Spicy and orange zest at first followed by mild sweetness, a little funkyness. Finish is a little sticky without bitterness. Sort of reminds me of Constant Comment Tea from back in the 70's.
Mf. A little thick, smooth.
Dr. After a couple of tastes, I wasn't looking forward to finishing the bomber; however, the alcohol has worked its magic and it's gone and I feel fine.

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Just watched the video with Sam/Bryan Selders and their crew heating the rocks for the pilot batches. I've been nervous to try this creation because of the heavy chai tea infusion post boil. Pours a pale golden amber honey hue with a bright slightly off white head forming thick with fine lacing. I've only had one Sahti from Tom Baker's heavyweight, never had any of the bottled Finnish versions that make it stateside. Aroma is heavy with fruit and chai tea, really tropical fruit banana and pineapple heavy in the nose with hints of citrus fruits. Flavor, what can I say I had nothing to be scared about the Chai flavor is present but it doesn't overbear the palate it's continuous throughout each sip but not off putting. A caramelized dessert banana with earthy tones juniper/clove/chai tea additions makes for a happy palate. Mouthfeel is heavy with spice finish, carbonation is natural flowing evenly body is medium to full especially with residual spices left behind. Drinkability overall impressively better than I could have imagined go for this beer I guess I'm going for the Nemaste next time I see it, because honestly this is pretty good.

4.43/5  rDev +13.9%

A: Pours a hazy golden amber with very little head that dissipates almost immediately after the pour. Continues bubbling leaving a consistent ring of bubbles at the top.

S: Very aromatic with a lot of different aromas. There is a distinct scent of chai follow by a bit of banana (like a hefeweizen as other reviewers have noted) and a slight bit of juniper.

T: Very much like chai tea, with many other flavors involved. A little bit thicker than a traditional tea. Very complex flavors including a lot of malts and herbs.

M: Smooth feeling on the tongue with a little bit of viscosity to it. A full bodied beer with the right amount of carbonation.

D: Very very drinkable. I'll definitely have another, if I had one of course. Very very good.

3.78/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Poured out a cloudy, orange color with golden highlights. It had a small, white, bubbly head of foam that receded quickly and left little lace.

S - It smelled of chai tea and juniper berries. It had a woody aroma, too.

T - Lots of chai tea taste with a touch of sweetness from the juniper berry. There is a mild floral taste, too.

M - It was crisp, sharp and smooth. A medium bodied ale with a dry finish.

D - This is an interesting beer. I can't see myself having this very often though.

4.8/5  rDev +23.4%

A: a hazy burnt gold, thin foam ring coats the surface.

S: a wicked explosion of various flavors, a stew of hops, malts, berries, chai teas, and a plethora of other flavors that defy description.

T: what doesnt this beer have? hops, malts, cloves, coriander, berries, chai tea, spices, citrus... and the list goes on. what in the world just happened to my tastebuds?

MF/D: epic. smooth, bitter, carbonated, dry, sweet... all at once. a symphony on the senses. thank you sir, may i have another?

4.6/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from 25.6oz bottle into 16oz Samuel Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours slightly hazy golden in color with a medium sized white head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves behind no lace but does leave foam floating on top of the glass.

Smell: Smells of banana (similar to a hefeweizen) and a hint of chai tea (which also has a hefeweizen character).

Taste: Begins with a bubble-gum flavor, finishing with banana, clove, tea, and a note of bittersweet alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with balanced, natural carbonation and a slightly alcoholic finish.

Drinkability: This is easily one of the most unique beers I have ever tasted, quite possibly one of THE most unique. For 9% ABV, this is pretty damn drinkable. Maybe this isn't a true Sahti, but this has definitely made me more interested in a very rare style. Everybody should taste this at least once.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%

I opened a bottle dated April 2010. It poured a light pumpkin orange with moderate cloudiness. It kind of looks like a Belgian pale. It smells of spicy, almost minty and has a tea leaf smell to it. I want to say it smells like tannins. The taste is refreshing and crispy, again almost a little minty. The tea flavor does subtly come through. The mouthfeel is perfect. It's sat for almost six months and drinks very smoothly. It is crisp yet doesn't seem overly carbonated. I like it and it was worth trying. I'd been looking for it for awhile and I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm glad to say I finally got to try the style.

3.3/5  rDev -15.2%

Served at Durty Nellies.

A: appears a light hazy yellow. I was a little surprised, for some reason I was expecting this beer to be much darker. The beer is very bubbly and has no head to speak of. Looks more like a grapefruit soda than a beer.

S: huge notes of banana, mint, anise among other flavors. This features a huge variety of aromas that I don't particularly associate with beer... over all it smells very sweet and complex.

T: this beer is very sweet on the palate, almost reminds me of a sweet tea, again lots of banana and some licorice in there. Wish there was more bitterness to balance all of the sweetness.

MF: medium to high carbonation, sticky mouthfeel

D: This is certainly a unique beer from DFH with lots of interesting flavors going on. Ultimately, I don't think the ingredients translate to being a highly drinkable beer as the sweetness is just a little too overwhelming.

3.48/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This one is different!!! Not great...not bad...just different. Hard to do a review on this one. I have never had a Sahti before. I have no idea what Chai tea tastes like. I associate juniper berries with gin.

Appearance is very ordinary. Pours a cloudy dull gold/light orange color. No head...No lacing.

Aroma and taste are strong. I would describe this beer as a mixture of hefewizen (75%), tripel (10%), spicy winter warmer (10%) and Avinne Baltazaar (5%). The body is hefeweizen, tastes like cloves, Belgian yeast etc. On top of that is richer apples/pears and alcohol (like a Tripel). There are spices like a Winter Warmer and (thankfully) a VERY small amount of bitter medicine like taste like Baltazaar.

Mouthfeel is ok. Rich, flavors blend fairly well. Drinkability is fair. I wound up drinking the whole 750 ml. A sipper rather than a guzzler but I had no problem with these strong flavors in mass quantities.

DFH takes chances and that is a good thing. Black and Blue is horrible (IHMO), Palo Santos Marron is world class (also my opinion). This one is somewhere in the middle.

4.47/5  rDev +14.9%

Going on memory on this one but I remember it quite well. It had a very spicey nose on it with a huge smell of tea. It had some chunks of whatever in it I guess because I'm pretty sure that its unfiltered. Definitely didn't take away from the beer though just enhanced the taste. No hops to speak of but then again this is one of those ancient brews that Dogfish loves to brew. You can also taste hints of the hot rocks they threw in to boil the wort. Gives it a very smooth smokey like taste which adds to the overall body of the beer. Even though its a weird style I still have to say this is an awesome beer to drink despite its 9 percent alcohol which by the way is very well masked. A great quality to most of the Dogfish Head beers. Thank you Dogfish Head! When this comes around again next year I'll be sure to give it another taste. Biggest downfall is that its hard to find and when you do its in limited quantities. Then again most of their beers go pretty fast in the stores I buy from.

a- 750ml poured into a pint, hazy light gold coloring, minimal head and lacing.

s- aromatic, tea, herbal sweetness, maybe a bit cloying. very flowery, a touch of alcohol. so many smells.

t- very much tea like, slight hopping, flowery, hard to pinpoint all the flavors here, sweet though, i get alot of tea in the finish, spice, maybe a bit of cinnamon, clove. this is alot of different flavors and is a bit hard to take.

m- light to medium.

d- okay, this beer just has so many different things going on, it's just not my thing. it seems right on point with the style, just a bit too flowery for my taste.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

On-tap at Stella Blues in New Haven into a 9-oz pint-style glass.

A: Hazy pale orange body with half an inch of fine white foam on top. I don't know what this style is supposed to look like, exactly, but this seems fine to me.

S: Spicy, piney, sweet, crazy. Plenty of juniper, as well as lightly sweet malt and some herbal bitterness. A little underwhelming, but not bad.

T: Big, sweet malt balanced with equally big juniper and herbal notes. Very interesting, refreshing, and complex. I didn't think I'd like it, but I do.

M: An explosion of very smooth, creamy carbonation; it's lovely, but I'd kind of like to know what the beer feels like as a liquid.

D: Too intensely and uniquely flavored to go down terribly easily. Still, the 9% is well hidden.

Notes: I remember trying, and hating, a sample of this when it was on tap at Prime 16 a while back. I decided to get it at Stella Blues because it was the only interesting thing on, and because I wanted to tick the Sahti style. Maybe my palate has changed, maybe the beer has changed, but I liked this infinitely more this time. The herbal characteristics highlighted the malt instead of overwhelming it, and the total package was both striking and surprisingly drinkable. Good stuff, and well worth trying once.

Cheers!