Sah'tea - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Sahti |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarkerTheBetter on 09-28-2008

This Ancient Ale is a modern take on a 9th-century Finnish beer.

The wort for Sah'tea is caramelized over white-hot river rocks, and the beer is fermented with a German weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged from the Finnish countryside, Sah'tea is flavored with black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper.

The spicing is subtle and balanced, and Sah'tea is a highly-quaffable, truly unique brew with a full mouthfeel.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sah'tea Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +2.3%

Pours a hazy dark yellow colour with a bubbly white head that didn't want to stick around for the party. The colour is good, bit this beer certainly won't win a beauty contest anytime soon. The aroma picks it up, though, and there's some really strong juniper notes that put me in mind of the best gins. Sage, honey and botanicals join the mix to help create a pleasantly sweet herbal nose.

Juniper is the overwhelming driver of the flavour, and its herbal, almost mint presence, can be found in every part of the sip. Its joined by tannic black tea in a marriage that works well, with mixed herbs and botanicals in the wedding party. A honey sweetness provides balance and prevents things from tasting like an apothecary, maybe even tipping the scales too far. The alcohol is expertly hidden, which at 9% scores some good points. The mouthfeel is slightly syrupy - a fact not alleviated by the relatively light carbonation.

This is an interesting take on the style for DFH (isn't it always?), and I think it actually worked. Not your regular beer, but a damn fine beverage. Cheers to Eric for sharing!

4.2/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle, brought back from Buffalo and shared with friends. Pours a murky murky fruit juice (pureed apple, pear, orange perhaps?), not much head. Not overly inviting.

My nose pulls out ginger, honey, a sort of herbal licorice and a hint of juniper.

Really interesting beer and actually pretty drinkable for a DFH experiment. Honeysuckle, fruity esters, ginger, anise, honey, a slightly metallic herbal quality. The juniper is actually fairly easy to pick out, reminds me of my grandparents house where they had lots of juniper bushes. Faint tea notes, expected a bit more but it's biggest contribution is some nice dryness in the finish to balance what would otherwise be quite a sweet/honey beer.

Not much carb, pretty thick and silky. Hides the booze well, as I said earlier quite drinkable for what it is. I actually kinda dig it, would get it again.

4.1/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured a cloudy orange/gold body with minimal head and lacing around the glass. A citric/clovey type aroma with some spiciness and herbal hoppy bitterness. Some sour/tart fruit notes mixed in as well as some sweetness but I can only really pick out some honey although I know there is more. A complex medium-bodied beer that has a tart, sharp citric and spicy flavor up front mixed with some sweetness like cherries, berries, ginger, nutmeg, honey along with some other fruitiness. Finishes crisp and clean and the ABV complements this beer and I find that it leaves a nice mellow aftertase. I enjoyed this bottle very much.

2.75/5  rDev -29.3%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle on 12/4/09

A - pours a hazy yellow orange with a bit of foam that quickly disappeared

S - a hint of tea leaves, some licorice and berries

T - all i can say was it was like drinking a minty tea with some licorice. just not appealing at all to me

M - mostly flat, creamy, medium bodied,

D - i could barely finish the bottle much less ever want another one.

3.45/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Evan1023 for this one.

75cL bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Bottle date read 'Bottled in 2009'

It pours a hazy golden orange with a 3 finger pillowy frothy head. Minimal lacing ran down the glass as it emptied.

At first whiff I'm getting some nutmeg and clove smells but when I stick my whole nose in I'm getting a distinct chai tea smell. It seems like a great marriage of malty sweet beer and black tea.

Taste is just like someone mixed in some chai tea with a light crystal malt heavy base beer. I'm also picking up some orange taste. I'm not sure if this is from any citrus hops or if they used orange peel in the process. It finishes a little too sweet.

It is very full bodied malty spicy beer. The drinkability suffers from how spiced and heavy it is. I drank the whole 75cL but was rather tired after the first half.

I am a chai tea lover and average about one a day so I really was looking forward to trying this beer. It does satisfy me in that the flavor components are there but I was kind of wishing for a more bold tea flavor from something coming from DFH. I am glad I tried it and enjoyed it but would recommend having no more than about 8oz. at a time. After that it becomes too filling and kind of a chore to drink.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a chalice. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As poured the beer is a slightly hazy rich golden color with a light orange tinge and a 1/8" white head that disappears quickly, leaving little lacing. Throughout the beer sipping leaves little or no lacing or even speckles of lace.

Smell: The aroma of juniper, tea and spice (coriander, cardamom, and ginger I think) gently fill the nose. There also seems to be some light brown sugar in the background.

Taste: The flavors of this beer are complex and subtle. The beer is slightly sweet with a light caramel flavor and what seems to be a rye backbone that has a honey character and supports and reinforces the chai spices and the juniper. There are no hops detectable and the alcohol is quite well concealed, showing up in its effects rather than in the flavor.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium bodied and a bit slippery, with very modest prickly carbonation. The finish is medium length and consists pretty much of the chai spices, the lemon grass and the juniper just fading away.

Drinkability: I enjoyed trying this beer but half the bottle was enough for me at one sitting. While I'll not be buying and drinking this on a regular basis, I enjoyed it and I can see serving it at a party to introduce people to the idea that not all beers taste alike. It should be a great conversation starter since it involves a modern twist on an ancient style. Verdict: tasty and drinkable but I'm glad brewing has come a long way since the days when something like this beer would have been the available beverage.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Sah'tea pours a bright gold color. There's a little haze clouding the scene. Backlighting gives it an orange tint. A modest one finger head sits on top. It's cream colored and dissipates very quickly. Lacing was sticky, but on the light side of the spectrum.

The nose is good. Initially it has a somewhat strong spicy presence. Perhaps that's attributable to the juniper berries or rye. Smells like there's some ginger and nutmeg backing it up. There's a distinct honey scent that smells sweet. It smells surprisingly malty and a little sugary. Alcohol is very well hidden for a 9% beer. This is an interesting smelling beer. Of course, Sahti's an interesting style. Overall, I like it. It smells good.

The flavor tracks the nose pretty well. It is sweet up front and has a strong honey flavor. An array of spices follow. Rye is certainly more prominent in flavor and that's a good thing. It adds quite a bit of pizzazz. Ginger, cinnamon, and even a little clove are noted. The use of juniper berries lends an interesting spicy flavor to the mix. I'm not picking up much in the chai department. I know it's here, but my palate isn't telling me that. Alcohol is blended very well. I'd never guess this is 9%. It finishes sweet and a little spicy. Overall, this is good stuff. Far better than I expected. All of the interesting components work in tandem to produce a really nice overall flavor.

Sah'tea has a medium body that leans thick with a little warming. It's very smooth and creamy. Carbonation is dialed down to just the right level. Dogfish nailed this one. Drinkability is good, bordering on very good. I'm tempted to pull the trigger on the next highest score. It goes down so easy for a big beer and has a lot of flavor. But, it is a unique flavor that I'm not sure I could drink all night. A 750 is just about right.

Dogfish Head really did an impressive job with Sah'tea. This is a very unique style and DFH really got a nice end result with this one. I haven't had many Sahtis, so this is easily the best one I've tried. I really can't complain about much here. Maybe the look's just okay? Bottom line - this is an enjoyable beer. Pick up a bottle if you have the opportunity.

3.9/5  rDev +0.3%

Got this thanks to Sr. Paco.

This is my second Sahti to date. I thought it was a pretty good one. The appearance was a very cloudy straw, with little to no head. Smell was predominately of Chai tea, so I can see where it's used in the brewing. Taste was similar, but also some piney hints on juniper. With a 9% alcohol level, I was expecting some hints of alcohol, but there wasn't any. Def my top Sahti now.

4.05/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks again to BA lacqueredmouse for this one.

Pours a yellow-tinged (as in, bright) orange colour, opaque really, with large cloud, some light coming through the bottom. Head is modest but retains well, leaving a thin wispy cloud, and some nice trails of sticky cream-coloured lace. Pretty darn good.

Nose is quite funky with a lot of spice on there. Hints of banana cake are very prominent - sweet, slightly tart, but a really big whiff of nutmeg, ginger and clove. In fact, nutmeg is all over this. It smells like my mother's delicious spice biscuits. Slight capsicain aroma, like really hot chilli funk, at the back. I fucking love this nose. It's full of divergent, complex aromas, all of which I love, and it just makes me want to sit here and sniff all night.

Taste is also very nutmeggy - lots of pleasant, sweet spice, mixed with pleasant banana esters, some light leather, five spice, some clove, anise and maybe some citrus as well lingering behind. But ultimately a big mélange of spice. Lots of sweetness as well, with a slight bite at the back - more tart than bitter - but yeah, it starts sweet and the spice just comes along to complement it. I think it could use more funk, because the sweetness becomes a bit overpowering the more you drink, and makes it a little bit insipid. Fairly good texture in the mouth, although it feels too thin for what it's trying to do.

Very pleasant, but it's too sweet basically, and makes you wish it were more wild and gruff, because that would make it magnificently sexy. It's like making love to Anne Baxter while fantasising about Bette Davis.

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottle purchased from New Beer Distributors, New York.

Pours a turbid, deep cloudy gold colour, with a filmy head of white foam, that only survives as a thin collar around the edges. Lacing is pretty nice, but I kind of expected an odd brew. The cloudiness is quite extreme, and the body looks pleasantly thick and heavy. Overall, a very pleasant looking brew.

Oh yeah, very odd nose, but I do remember similar spicy notes on the only other Sahti I've had the privilege to taste. Lots of vanilla flower, honey, slight spice of crushed undergrowth, big banana phenols and crushed marrowbone characters, mingling with sweet notes of spiced tea - notes of cardamom and fresh cut fennel. Such a wonderful melange of odd flavours. I love it.

Taste is quite similar, extremely smooth, with the sweet notes of vanilla and banana/clove present on the fore, followed by a striking phenolic bitterness rising out of the back, possibly the juniper, or perhaps the tannic notes of the tea making themselves felt. Overall, it's extremely fresh and clean, smooth and buttery in places, and exceptionally drinkable - rather reminiscent of a good hefe, in fact. Really extremely tasty.

It's hard to rate a style of beer of which I've had (now) a total of two examples. It's exceptionally drinkable and really very, very unique, and I find it hard to separate this from the Nogne O/Dugges collaboration. I think this is probably slightly lighter on the juniper bite.

Otherwise, this is a really drinkable and extremely enjoyable brew, cementing Sahti as a style for me to seek out and enjoy. I only hope the style enjoys more of a revival - it really is a tasty and unique category of beer, and this one is a lovely example.

3.55/5  rDev -8.7%

The beer poured from a 750ml into my pint glass displayed a semi-clear orange color with an average white head. It had a sweet, cider-like aroma with spicy hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. No hops were present in the aroma and the malt was light. The flavor of the beer was not unlike a pumpkin-style beer with a body and slickness somewhere in the medium range. Overall, the beer had a spicy/complex characteristic while still remaining approachable. My only disappointment was the beers lack of a spruce/pine note. It could have been more present without being over assertive.

4.2/5  rDev +8%

This beer was yet another surprise from the good guys over at DFH. When i hear the run down on these big beers of theirs, I never even know what to expect out of the bottle let alone from the beer. I split a bottle into two New Belgium Worthy's and watched the show as the carbonation created a sort of spring in the middle of the beer.

Upon tasting, I decided that this was an awesome Biere de garde/mars. The spice character gave it a perfect play of pumpkin pie spice that I associate with NB's biere de mars and LA's Avante Garde. The juniper berry added a pleasant but not over powering sweetness. The mouth feel was light and airy. I could have drank the whole bottle over a lunch of fresh bread, sopressata and tallegio... or maybe just with some homemade vanilla ice cream?

4.08/5  rDev +4.9%

A: Poured from a bomber to a pint glass. Had an amber color and a cloudy, hazy consistency. There was a half inch of creamy, long-lasting head and some good lacing.

S: Smelled of spices, a little fruit, hops and a trace of the tea.

T: An interesting flavor. Spices (cinammon, nutmeg, etc.), hops, an odd fruity quality and a pleasant bitterness. Sweet up front, with the tea making an appearance in the finish. Unusual, but eay to drink.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a dry finish. Medium-bodied.

D: This is only the second Sahti I've tried, but I'm getting used to them. The Sah'Tea is another drinkable beer from Dogfish Head.

3.68/5  rDev -5.4%

Unique brew I had to try. In bottle form.

A: Pours a cloudy gold with minimal head and some scant lacing. Considering that this brew was made with black chai tea, I was anticipating that this one would be black or a darker brew. Still, a nice looking beer, anyhow.

S: Scent of chai tea and vanilla. Dogfish Head was right on point with their description of this brew; it smells exactly how it is described on the bottle.

T: Taste follows the scent. Tastes like a cold, carbonated vanilla chai latte. (without the latte part). The black chai tea aspect might be a bit on the strong side, however.

M: Slightly creamy with a mild bitter aftertaste, due to the tea aspect. If this brew was made with natural tea, perhaps they should scale back a bit on that part of it. It seems to dominate the beer.

D: Between both the high ABV and robust tea flavor, this is a sipper for sure. Nonetheless, a good, unique brew that I would probably have again.

4.03/5  rDev +3.6%

Well, this seems to be a polarizing brew, not surprising for DFH. I'd had this a couple times but in too much of a fleeting sense to give it a proper review.

Poured into a large wine glass, it shows a tawny gold with minor but present foam.

If you drink chai, you have to love the aroma, as earthy, lightly roasted tea comes through clearly on an assorted wave of spices and flavorings....cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla.

I loved the taste of this immediately when I first had it, and I still do now that I have a bottle to leisurely sip on. The chai doesn't seem to show up quite as much on the palate as it did in the nose. Instead, there seems to be quite the cornucopia of pumpkin pie spices....cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, along with some pumpkin itself. A little sweet, but not overly so as some DFH beers can be. Seriously, I think this might be the best pumpkin ale I've ever had. There's also an earth-like flavor that I'd really love to attribute to the hot river rocks with which this was boiled. I don't actually know what effect those rocks had on the taste, if any, but I'd like to imagine that the unique process by which this was brewed is reflected in its unique taste.

The one complaint I have is that I'm not crazy about the aftertaste this leaves, it's kinda sour and rotten. However, this can be remedied by taking another sip.

More full-bodied and not as crisp as the Nogne O Sahti.

Well, I can tell that no matter how it is interpreted, Sahti is a style that I really dig. I shared this bottle with another, but I could put one away on my own without much trouble. Ultimately, I think I prefer the more crisp, herbal Nogne O Sahti, but not entirely to the exclusion of this. I will drink it again.

3.4/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle courtesy of TATTORSO. Thanks Jeff!

A light hazy orange golden colour, it gives about an inch of foam and has some nice sticky lacing.

Ok, the smell really is different. I'm getting some spice like cinnamon and nutmeg, grain and what must be the Chai that they speak of, juniper...weird smelling and I'm not sure how to react. If this nose is to the style, I can't knock it. Actually, the more whiffs I take, the more it grows on me.

The taste is honey sweet with a graininess, chai(?), strong spiciness(see smell), some banana flavour....as weird a taste as the smell.

Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Plenty of warming is now sneaking up on me.

Drinkability? I'm totally mixed in my feelings about the smell and taste but one thing is clear to me. This is a unique brew and in its uniqueness, I can't see myself having this one again but I thank Jeff for giving me a chance to try it.

4.58/5  rDev +17.7%

I absolutley loved this beer. Had a wheat beer appearence and a amazing taste. I thought at first it may be too sweet of a beer, but it was balanced perfectly and the Juniper Berries also added a great twist. Not as off center as you normally would come to think of a Dogfish Head. Nevertheless the 9.0% abv got the job done.

4.22/5  rDev +8.5%

Pour - golden orange almost peachy in color with a third of an inch of wispy, stark-white foam on top. This is a very clear and clean pour, reminds me of a golden ale.

Aroma - mashed bananas, cloves, ginger, rock candy and some of the warm smell of the chai tea. Its a great mix of sweetness along with some very delicate spiciness.

Taste - sweet, warming and subtle. At first it reminds me of banana bread but then the spices like cloves and allspice come out and as it warms you do get a taste of the tea that is involved. It has some slight fruit flavors and finishes dry and crisp but leaves some sweetness behind.

Overall - The flavors in this beer are really interesting and its definitely one of the more unique offerings from Dogfish Head (of which there are many). Very reminiscent of a Belgian-style Tripel in both appearance and flavor but with some spiciness that is altogether delicious. Definitely one to let warm in your hands as the delicate flavors are amplified with time and temperature.

Would I buy more of it? - I'd like to have another bottle sometime, hopefully they'll brew it again.

4.18/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: Finger of white head with a very hazy copper/honey color.

Smell: You could smell the tea and juniper berries, especially as the beer warmed up. There was a clove smell as well and malt sweetness rounded it all out.

Taste: There were spices and a taste of clove that was reminiscent of a hefe. The tea really comes out and the sweet malt that backs it up opens up into a little bit of dark fruit. You can tell the use of juniper and there is a bit of crisp, slightly bitter finish. Pretty complex.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a great deal of carbonation that seemed to work perfectly.

Drinkability: This beer is insanely drinkable with no evidence of the 9% alcohol. I really wish this beer was a great deal cheaper and in 12 oz bottles, because this beer is just too refreshing not to be drunk often. This seems like an imperial hefeweizen with a big infusion of tea and using juniper berries. It turns out to be a very nice combination.

2.78/5  rDev -28.5%

I usually love DFH's funky brews but this one was an epic failure for me.

Spicy aroma, with juniper standing out and a little bit of yeast similar to a hefeweizen. The chai tea stands out in the flavor. Reminds me of a chai latte or smoothie. Deffinatly has a malty backbone as well that's almost enjoyable. It's complex, and yet also awkward. Not my cup of teas at all.

An introduction into Sahti beers gives me the impression of a heavy Hefeweizen but with acidic tartness and chewy texture. This from Dogfish Head seems spiced with a lot of tea-like herbs along with a minty-piney juniper quality.

The beer opens with a hazy canary color, carrying a large protein-rich head that shows great staying power and lacing.

Honey is woven into the sharp aroma of cinnamon, chamomile, corriander, pepper, nutmeg and a lot of other chai/christmas notes. Zesty lemon pepper rides deep in the background.

Flavors of the sweetness and spice swirl about in other flavors of English shortbread cookies and fruity yeast tastes. Pineapples, mangos, lemons, green apples, papayas, and pawpaws make the beer very fruity as well as spicy.

Very heavy and viscous from sip to finish from unresolved proteins and sugars. Finishes with a creamy gulp and long spicy linger of spruce tips and mint. Light acidity plays on the tongue but not enough for complete balance. Gin/juniper flavors return in the aftertaste.

Overall a good beer that is hard to see folling up with another, but with little Sahti experience on which to fall back, I take the juniper/gin-like finish along with protien rich body as givens. But it seems like more tartness (lambic) and less forced spice would have made all the difference between great Sahti's and this.

4.15/5  rDev +6.7%

A very unique beer. The brewing process is extremely interesting. Check it out - http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/the-brews/occassional-rarities/sahtea-0.htm

You can definitely smell and taste the rocks. I was lucky enough to find a bottle at spinnerstown hotel. http://www.spinnerstownhotel.com/cwo.php?id=4&id2=&type_id=1

If you are from the Lehigh Valley or Quakertown Area this is a place you must check out.

If you can find a bottle of this beer you must try it.

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

Out of a 750ml capped bottle. Pours a thick honey color with a small wispy white head that settled into a very light ring. The aroma is of a light grainy malt, chai, allspice, pepper and honey. Spicy indeed. The taste starts off with a sweet honey flavor, fruity, and a touch of lemon. The spices are more subtle than the aroma. The chai and pepper are there, the allspice seems to fade. Towards the end you can pick up some of the juniper berry. The feel is a bit thick in a syrupy sort of way. There is some tingly carbonation; finishes spicy, sweet, and sticky. I feel that this beer is trying to find its identity. I like most of the spice and herbal notes but the seems to get squashed by the very sweet honey malt. I'd probably prefer to see more of a juniper presence to offset the sweet and spicy.

1.45/5  rDev -62.7%

Thanks beerloco! Sometimes, it's delightful to be able to rip into something. I've been too kind of late.

Pours a beautiful orange amber, with a thin white crust that clings to the glass. The attractive appears belies the fact that it is a loathsome substance not fit for a beer lover's consumption.

Smells like rotting medicinal tea, a sickly sweet honeysuckle-ish aroma. Smells like corpses dipped in some sort of treacle substance.

Taste is even worse. Like some sort of witch's herb concoction. Why was this even made? I'd tried to see if I could pick out the various flavors, but it's just an abhorrent, sweet, medicine-chest pile of offal.

Dogfishhead can push the envelope. Sometimes it really works out great, sometimes ... not so much.

Nice mouthfeel though!

4.13/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours with a one finger white head that fades slowly and leaves some lace. Almost clear pale amber color. Medium carbonation and medium body. Sweet spicy nose. Flavor is a sweet spices, almost like a pumpkin mousse, but if you focus the juniper comes through. Pricey but worth trying even at $13.00 for a 750ml bottle from Tully's Beer and Wine Wells, Me

Sah'tea from Dogfish Head Brewery