Sah'tea - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Sahti |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarkerTheBetter on 09-28-2008

This Ancient Ale is a modern take on a 9th-century Finnish beer.

The wort for Sah'tea is caramelized over white-hot river rocks, and the beer is fermented with a German weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged from the Finnish countryside, Sah'tea is flavored with black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper.

The spicing is subtle and balanced, and Sah'tea is a highly-quaffable, truly unique brew with a full mouthfeel.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sah'tea Alström Bros
3.14/5  rDev -19.3%

3.25/5  rDev -16.5%

3.75/5  rDev -3.6%

4.04/5  rDev +3.9%

3.56/5  rDev -8.5%

Hazy straw color. The nose is sweet , much like a fruity herbal tea. The two dominant flavors are sweet maltiness and funkiness on the finish.

3.89/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev +9.3%

3.92/5  rDev +0.8%

3.83/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -10%

Sweet, smooth and very complex.

3.96/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.26/5  rDev -16.2%

Date: 9/4/2014
Other notes: Bottled 3/11/13. Just picked it up at the store a few days ago. So it's likely been sitting on the shelf at room temperature for 1.5 years. Hopefully this doesn't negatively impact the taste.

Appearance - 3/5
A fairly clear orange. A little bit hazy. You can see a LOT of large particles floating around in the beer. No head. Lots of medium-sized carbonation bubbles flowing up at average speed. The color is nice, but I wish there was more head, and the particles are kinda freaking me out. They are not like the particles I have seen in other beers. They make me wonder 'Is something wrong with this beer?'. It's probably fine, but the fact that I even have that worry is big negative points for me.

Smell - 3/5
CHAI CHAI CHAI. Maybe a little bit of breadiness, but mostly all I smell is Chai (which I don't like by the way). Even if I did like Chai, I don't think I'd want my beer to smell like it. But I guess since this is an Ancient Ale, they are just trying to faithfully replicate the spirit of this Ancient recipe

Taste - 3.5/5
Chai, sweet maltiness, maybe some honey and cinnamon. The chai is not totally overpowering in the taste, which is good. I'd still say it's the dominant flavor present. Maybe small hints of fruit and alcohol taste as well. Even though I don't like chai, I don't hate this beer. Given that I've never had nor even heard about any other beer having chai in it, this beer is definitely an experiment, which I think they pulled off fairly well. If you love chai, you will probably like this beer a lot. If you hate it, you probably won't.

Mouthfeel - 3/5
The carbonation is nice and light, and the beer is smooth (although the strong chai flavors dominate, so if you don't like chai, that makes it a little bit harder to get down). The beer is medium-ish in body. The feel is more on the creamy side.

Overall - 3.85/5
I gave the ratings a little boost for the overall, because I'm trying to give it a fair rating, given that I don't like chai a lot (I don't hate it though either). This was definitely an interesting brew, and I love the creativity which DFH is doing with their Ancient Ale series. Even if I don't love the beer, I enjoyed drinking it, knowing that I am imbibing something very similar to people in 9th century Finland.

Weighting: Appearance 15%, Smell 15%, Taste 35%, Mouthfeel 15%, Overall 20%