Squall IPA - Dogfish Head Brewery

Squall IPASquall IPA

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

An unfiltered and 100% bottle-conditioned version of 90 Minute IPA that's dry-hopped with Palisade, Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, CTZ, and Willamette hops. Brewed to honor the Rogue Gallery in Portland, Maine, who will also be releasing a DFH designed clothing line in the summer of '09.

(Beer added by: mday on 05-17-2009)
4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured a dark golden color, clear, with a very lively head. I couldn't even pour 12 ounces in to a 16 oz. glass before waiting for the head to subside a little. Some lacing on the glass.
Smelled to me of hops; grassy and floral. Taste was similar, grapefruit, grass and pine, but balanced to some degree so not overly bitter (not that there's anything wrong with that). Very pleasant to drink. Mouthfeel was good. Drinkability was excellent, as the taste was very smooth, mild aftertaste.

BeTheBall, Jul 06, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1%

Pours a medium-copper color with a thick and frothy head into my fluted tulip.

Aroma is full of floral, grassy hops with a hint of mint and citrus in the nose. A small hint of bready malt as well.

Taste is full of grassy, citrusy hops that pack a wallop upfront. It's followed by sweet, bready malt underneath that is just enough to offer balance.

Lingering citrusy hops and sweet bready malt stick around in the mouth for an encore. Nice and balanced.

Not bad for what is a variant of 90 Minute IPA. Highly drinkable and the alcohol is well-hidden. Another quality product from Dogfish Head.

Brad007, Jul 05, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

The beer pours a dark gold/amber color with a thick frothy offwhite head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great! It has a rich malty scent that boasts of pale and Carapils malts that have been involved in an extended boil. It also has a really nice hop nose. The taste is good. It has a very bitter hop taste that's a bit much for me. The malts add adequate balance and a heavy alcohol character. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a tastey brew. I like the filtered 90 minute better. This one is a bit hop heavy for me and I love hops.

WesWes, Jul 04, 2009
3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

Served from the Rogue's Gallery designed 750 ml bottle split into two standard pint glasses. Pours a translucent, partly cloudy amber. The cloudiness is due to us pouring out the bottle and mixing in the sediment. There is a thin white head of large bubbles. Some lacing, but nothing too impressive. Hoppy aroma, with some grassy scents and some pine. Hops up front in the taste, which last through until the bitter hop finish that lingers. There is a sweetness at first, but not a malty sweetness, more like a natural sweetness, such as honey or a simple syrup. There is a healthy amount of carbonation that tickles your tongue while you drink. It has a medium body; it goes from feeling thin to syrupy as you move the beer around your mouth. All in all, I find the Squall to be an enjoyable beer. I don't think I would buy it over the 60 or 90 minute if all I wanted was an IPA, but if your a fan of Dogfish Head's IPAs, I recommend you try it at least once, especially if you live in one of the lucky areas where it is sold. If I somehow had access to a number of bottles of it, I would certainly be able to drink it all night.

ToasterChef, Jul 02, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Special thanks to Martin and Paul.
As always reviewed with the help of Wheatman106 and Speedwayjim, served out of a snifter glass.

Appearance: 2 1/2 fingers of striped, sparkling ivory and creamed colored head, a deep amber with hints of orange and brown. A color I like to describe as mahogundy (mahogany and burgundy).

Smell: "Hopalicious" "hoptastic", I smell so many profiles of hop but the most apparent and easily recognizable is the grapefruit flesh and rind.

Taste: Opens with hops and malt, and these two flavor profiles fluctuate in intensity from the middle to end. This brew finishes very much like the regular 90 minute does but the hoppy finish is not overwhelming and is quite pleasant.

Mouthfeel: This brew is light to meduim bodied. Thin with the right amount of carbonation in the opening and leaves no coating on my palate.

Drinkability- This is definitely a brew I would have again, the trifecta approves of this brew and surprisingly as we generally do not prefer IPA's. Dogfish head really did something special with this one.

capra12, Jul 02, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +15.6%

Out of a 750. This is the DFH 90 min IPA, unfiltered and bottle conditioned.

A- Looks very nice. Dark gold, caramel. Beautiful two finger head that looks aesthetically pleasing, if you can dig it. Frothy, ivory white, sits on the beer all the way down without being in the way. Textbook lacing, very well done.

S- Piny spicy hops. Smell is reserved, actually. Still, smells good. Note- as I got really close, the smell of new growth pine suddenly sprang to life. Very intense.

T- Amazing. I think I have a new favorite DFH IPA, and that's saying a LOT. I swear by the 90 min and love the 120 and 60 min. I haven't gotten the 75 min IPA, but that's neither here nor there..

Anyways, back to taste. Pine, hop resin, sugar. Malt is there, but this beer is all about the hops, and it's fantastic. Really an amazing beer. Stays true to the unique IPA flavor that DFH has been able to carve out. The dry-hopping did this beer a mighty fine service. Simcoe stands out, but what do I know, they all taste great.

M- Crisp, healthy carbonation. Better aftertaste than most DIPAs. Good, nay, amazing balance. Drinks like a pale ale, with the flavor and body of a DIPA. Wow.

D- Drank a 750 with.. myself! And it was glorious. This is why I love beer. Honestly, I want to buy cases upon cases of this stuff. DFH, if you read this, please put this beer into full-time production! This beer is great.

ShogoKawada, Jul 02, 2009
4.72/5  rDev +12.9%

750mL brown glass capped bottle. Bottled on date is smudged, but just arrive in VT yesterday.

Appearance: Poured into a tulip. Off-white frothy head, about .5 inches, atop a clear brownish amber body. Lots more color than I expect from an IPA.

Nose: Rich and malty with lots of toffee and "hop candy" notes. Plenty of citrus, and some wet pine bud, sappy wood notes.

Palate: Not as sweet as most DFH IPA's. There's still some sugar there, but it's more caramelized or burnt. Lots of burnt toffee, roasted coffee like malt notes. A fair amount of earthy tree bark-like flavors. Finish is roasted and drying. Bitterness is "moderate" (for the style), but flavor is huge.

Notes: Another truly *unique* and interesting IPA from the IPA-innovators at DFH. Might go as far as saying this is my favorite one yet from them. The thing I like the most is how the sweetness quickly switches over to a roasted/caramlized/burnt sweetness.

SFLpunk, Jul 01, 2009
3.35/5  rDev -19.9%

Bottle poured into a pint glass produced a two finger off white head that transformed to a thick lace that stayed for the entire time I drank the brew. The body of the brew was a clear copper in color.

Aromas of pine and citrus filled my head from the brew. The flavor reminded me of the DFH 90 min but with this one being a lot hotter in the alcohol department. There was a medium feel in my mouth with ample carbonation for your tongue.

I finished the 750, but I think it is not as drinkable as the regular 90 min because of the alcohol. I'll stick with the original; the unfiltered part wasn't any big change to me.

joepais, Jul 01, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle Pours a good clear copper with a big off white head. The head is frothy and lasting. Has real good lacing. Aroma is good with plenty of piney hops and some sweet caramel. Has a good carbonation and a nice mouthfeel. Has a good bitterness hidden under its overtones if that makes sense. Not overly hoppy or bitter but real good. Has a medium body. A real good finish with a wonderful aftertaste. The texture is oily. This is a real good beer. I love DFH's IPA and this one does not disappoint.

Birdiebeagle, Jun 30, 2009
3.53/5  rDev -15.6%

750 mL bottle poured into a tulip. High expectations for this from regular 90 min and weyerbacher's unfiltered DS.

Frothy, long lasting off-white/khaki head sits on a clear, dark amber body with some streaks and dots of lacing. Pungent, fresh aroma of citrus hops and a strong sweet smell of rubbing alcohol. Taste has strong citrus hops from the nose all throughout and lingering in the finish. Body has strong biscuit-y/caramel presence and finish also has a strong alcohol kick, slightly off putting. Body is a little thin for iipa, though very active carbonation covers up for that a bit. Overall this beer is a little too sweet and boozy for me, something just seems out of line and I prefer the balance of 90 min over this.

yourefragile, Jun 30, 2009
4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Picked up a bottle today on my way home from Rhode Island, since this beer is unavailible in NJ for some reason.

After being poured it into an oversized wine glass it left a thick creamy head ontop of an autumn leaf orange beer. Lots of bubble could be seen rising from the bottom of the beer to the top.

While I was pouring, I could smell the citrus hops more than a foot away from the glass. Upon closer inspection, I could smell some alcohol spice, clean piney hops, and a touch of malty goodness.

The first sip was pleasantly sweet followed by a very crisp hoppy finish. Mild alcohol spice in the taste, and some spiciness in the hops. What was most surprising was the creaminess of this beer.

In terms of drinkability, it goes down way to easy. I could definately have too many pints of this and really regret it the next day.

In all honesty, I wasn't super amped to try this beer, but it exceeded my expectations and left me wanting more.

mikey711, Jun 29, 2009
3.78/5  rDev -9.6%

Picked this up at Carls in Kittery, poured into my smuttynose tulip.

The beer pours a dark copper with a golden orange hue around the edges. There's a two finger soapy white head that leaves minimal oily lacing on the sides of the glass.

The smell is piney hops with a little hint of maltiness, pretty similar to the regular 90 minute IPA.

The taste is a very bitter piney hop blast that is resinous and sharp. The malt is much less present in the taste, but is definitely there. This is not as balanced as the 90 minute IPA, much more of a hop-forward IPA.

The mouthfeel is crisp and dry, very well carbonated and the 9% abv is barely noticeable, a very good IPA that I could drink a lot of.

rpstevens, Jun 29, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Pours a golden amber color with a big fluffy off white head that recedes to a thin film.

S: Big pungeant piney hops. Soap like. That's really about it there.

T: Big hop bitterness. Piney and very oily and resinous. Not as soapy in the taste as the nose.

M: Medium body with moderate carbonation ample hoppiness.

D: Good. I could definitely enjoy a few glasses of these in a row. Good for those Piney hop flavor lovers.

drgonzo3705, Jun 29, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Served in my New Belgium Globe glass at 50 degrees. Bottled on 04/16/09 indicated on the bottle. Poured a translucent amber with a two inch creamy/frothy bright white head. Head settled into a consistent quarter inch cap with generous swaths of lacing coating the glass during the tasting. Resinous piney hops dominates the nose on this one - that's pretty much all I get. Taste consistent with nose. A subtle sweetness comes out in the middle, but not the grapefruit sweetness you find in 90 Minute. Some resinous residual lingers between quaffs, but it's not really manifested as bitterness; more of a piny/floral character. Mouthfeel was medium-bodied, slightly oily and lightly carbonated. Good DIPA - balance was shifted slightly more to the bitter than the sweet; however, abv was very well-hidden and I found it pleasantly quaffable.

Jwale73, Jun 28, 2009
3.85/5  rDev -7.9%

I was pretty excited to try this "unfiltered" IPA after recently trying the Unfiltered Weyerbacher Double Sicmoe which I absolutely loved. As you'll see, this didn't come close.

About a 2 finger head covered a totally clear (??) amber beer. How is this unfiltered? Mostly orange highlights. Some sticky lacing.

Aroma is mostly pine and some alcohol. A bit of sweetness as well. Touch floral

Booze, pepper, pine tones and bitterness I've heard this compared to 90 Minute and that seems about right. Mile sweetness, but not too much.

Mouth feel is fairly thick and shy of syrup like. Frankly does not "feel" unfiltered like some of the others I've had.

Was a bit disappointed here. It's an o.k. beer but not one to seek out again.

Reagan1984, Jun 27, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -6.7%

I picked up a bottle (shoulda picked up 2) for $8 at the brewpub in Rehoboth Beach this past week...very limited release in a champagne bottle.

Poured chilled at 45-50 degrees (F) into a pint glass, it pours a beautiful amber color with a slight haze through the bottle and a finger-thick of bone-white dense head. The head, eroding slowly, leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

Cascade hops hit my nose for the most part. Somewhat weak presentation on the nose. Was hoping for more. Maybe a bit of cane sugar comes through as well.

Sipping, a sharp bit of floral & pine hops hits the tip of my tongue followed by a sweetening sugar flavor through the swallow. The swallow leads to a bit of drying with a slight biscuit flavor to go along with the overwhelming hops flavor. The alcohol is definitely present here and it reminds me of a less-"steroided" 120 minute IPA...it really resembles the 90 minute, and it is hard to distinguish from the 90 minute for the most part.

Mouthfeel is wonderful. Solid carbonation up front on the tip of my tongue to start and follows and becomes smooth then drying through the swallow. Very standard, but above what I expected.

Very drinkable in that it is a lot like 90-minute, which is the best IPA on the planet in my opinion with a bit of subtle changes I do not have the palate to distinguish from. I'll enjoy the bottle though for sure!!!

Fish113d, Jun 27, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

Picked up a champagne bottle at the brewpub for $8 - totally worth it. Why is it DFH's best IPA's (or at least my favorites) are the least available. This and 75 Min are damn tasty and drinkable. And while this clocks in at 9%, it holds none of the cloying sweetness that drives me away from the 90 Minute. The appearance, despite being unfiltered, is a clear red amber with a gentle white head. The aroma has a nice bouquet of smooth citrus punch with notes of pine and grass. The same delicious hops return in the flavor along with a dry biscuit undertone. The bitterness isn't over the top, but it overpowers the malts enough that you know this beer is a douple IPA. Heck of a beer Sam, please brew it again.

tempest, Jun 26, 2009
4.53/5  rDev +8.4%

I guess this is the new trend, bottle conditioned kickass Double IPAs, first UF Double Simcoe now this, please let this be the new trend. It pours a light burnt umber body with a small white head in my brandy snifter, really tight small bubble coming up from the bottom of the glass. Piney, a little orange, a little biscuit in the nose, more rounded than the regular 90min which is more piney and grapefriuty. The flavor is up there with the smell, the caramel sweetness hits first with the sweet orange peel coming next then a bracing piney bitterness finishes it off. The mouthfeel reminds me of something that is cask conditioned with a bit more carbonation, the tight carbonation really drives the piney tooth eating hoppiness, with just enough sweetness to hold it all in check. The drinkability is way up there for me, I don't notice the 9% alcohol like I do in the regular 90min.

orsulacp, Jun 25, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +1%

750ml bottle

Pours a mostly clear, orange brown color with a medium sized peachy head that has great retention. A good balance to the nose, bitter hops, lots of pine and caramel malt. Creamy texture, bright and fun but with bitter and mature notes of sweet malt and a strong biscuit like yeast characteristic. A very well made beer, the 9% is there but not in your face, very drinkable for the ABV. I'm glad we got to try this bottle and im really glad i have another to take home...just wish this sucker came in to Jersey...why Dogfish why?

ATPete, Jun 24, 2009
3.43/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750mL bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Aggressive pour yields an inch of rocky white head atop a copper body. Plenty of lacing.

S - Not very enticing on the nose. Sweet caramel and toffee malts with harsh hop aroma of grapefruit pith and cat pee. (Ah: a visit to the DFH website confirms the use of Simcoe hops.)

T/M - Well-balanced IPA with lush, juicy malt backbone and an assertive bitterness that arrives in the middle and lasts through a long finish. Plenty of fine carbonation with a smooth and creamy body.

D - Sweet malt and hop bitterness can't hide the 9% abv. I wouldn't go out of my way to find this, but it's worth checking out.

trbergman, Jun 24, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -3.1%

Medium amber color with a golden hint. Medium sized head and lace.
The aroma floral hops,pine,malts and fruit notes.

The taste is slightly bitter with a caramel sweetness accompanied by sharp hops and pine notes. A good amount of fruit flavors and a solid malt back up.

The feel is medium to full body with a smooth carbonation and a hint of bitterness.

Notes: The alcohol was well hidden,but while it lingered a bit in the finish it was not harsh. A good DIPA. A really nice looking bottle. I really liked the way the taste lingered on my tongue. A solid beer.

Lexluthor33, Jun 23, 2009
3.65/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle date 4/16/2009. So why the fuck is this just showing up now in early-mid June? I've only been sitting on this for a week or 2. Matters...pours into the Duvel tulip

OK, this may be unfiltered...but the first pour is crystal-clear bourbon. Carbonation is still but a true full-finger of white bread/eggshell head is prolific and robust...and what little goes away leaves solid lacing.

Well this has a huge solid flora hop profile on the first nose but it diffuses in-air very quickly. Decent mild citrus here...and the caramel malt backbone is huge...leaving a little bit of booze on the back end.

Hmmm...looks like the Ringwood earth and grass rears its ugly head. There is stewy caramel malt and a little nice bourbon booze...and some smidge of pepper even. Hops are muted with a little grass and earth but lingering citrus. On the back end as it warms there's even a bit of astringency.

I usually like my DIPAs a little warm - not this one. This reminds me of the early BrewDog IPA entries that were all over the place. No synergy here - sure, there's a big hop quotient - at first a nice floral one - but the Ringwood earth beats it into submission. There's nice caramel malt but a boozy, astringent, acidic tinge swallows it up - maybe a little more from more citric, C hops. It's not a mess, but it's a bit much to deal with.

This is one worth trying - it's definitely interesting. Sort of like Martha Stewart's "Kitchen Sink" cookies - a whole $#!+load of great ingredients, but they don't necessarily jive together. Don't wanna hate on Sammy C. or Martha - Raison d'Etre is very good and Martha's devilish eggnog recipe is positively insane. Devilish - there's the tie-in I was looking for. After all, it's review 666! Big shout-out to Tacos Lupita...look up their phone # and you'll know what I mean...

IBUnit63, Jun 23, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

Frothy, long-lasting head; leaves good ring lace. The liquid is golden amber and is clear.

Very strong pine/grapefruit hop bitter nose. Little else for the smell.

Surprisingly strong malt base on the initial sip. The swallow is where the bittering hop shows up. Unlike some DIPA's, this one has balance. Creamy body with a fine-bubbled level of carbonation. The aftertaste is long-lasting hop pellet-like bitterness.

smcolw, Jun 21, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

750ml bottle poured into a snifter. The beer was a clear, dark golden color with a thick ecru head that left a lot of lacing. A sweet malt aroma, along with citrus and pineapple. Taste followed form, with notes of grapefruit, pineapple, and biscuit all there. A well-balanced beer. The alcohol was subtle, but present.

lordofthewiens, Jun 21, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +3.6%

Print on the bottle neck says it was bottled on 4/16/09.

A: Decanted with a moderate pour from the 750 ml into a Duvel tulip. Body is clear orangey-amber with a 2-finger ivory head that retains well. Some sheets of lace. Last pour adds floaty sediment to the mix.

S: Nice nose. Big on citrus and tropical fruits -- think grapefruit pith and pineapple, especially pineapple. There's also caramel malt sweetness evident, however, so it's not all hops.

T: Balanced here too: sweet caramel malt sets the foundation for citrus and tropical fruits. Lingering dry bitterness cuts the sweetness a little. At times that dry bitterness seems almost wood-like in its astringency. Alcohol is not noted on the palate, but heat is felt in belly and there's a quick buzz; so it's there.

M: Slightly resiny, though not as much as the 90 Minute (at least from memory). Fairly smooth, though there's a carbonation "bite" to the finish.

D: Very good for a beer of this strength.

Kendo, Jun 21, 2009