Join our email list →

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Witbier | 4.80% ABV

Beer added by: jgasparine on 10-17-2009

A witbier bursting with good karma. Made with dried organic orange slices, fresh-cut lemongrass and a bit of coriander, this Belgian-style white beer is a great thirst quencher.

Reviews: 571 | Hads: 2,926

Yuck! We purchased a six pack of this. And I know it wasn't a personal preference, this beer was repulsive. I had another person smell and taste my beer and they agreed there was something very wrong with it. To describe the smell and taste would make a sailor blush. The next day we opened two more bottles and one of them was exactly the same. It had a disgusting smell and taste. The other had a hint of the odor but was flat. I don't think I will try it again.

1.1/5  rDev -71.4%

It looks nice, it feels smooth, however it sucks. I do not understand the appeal of this garbage. I drank a few of them at my ex-friend's party and the swill was trash. It tasted so bland I didn't even finish the pack. I left it there. Then I never spoke to my friend again because he was always touting this trash as the greatest ambrosia to touch his lips.

1.7/5  rDev -55.8%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass. Bottled in June 2015.

Pours a cloudy yellow like one might see produced by someone with a urinary tract infection. Robust head, about two fingers' width.

Smell - After the unsavory visual, the first effect is its sickly smell. I actually checked around the kitchen to see if there were dirty dishes or another source to account for the odor. Frankly, it had me recoiling as I got whiffs. Asked another person to smell, which resulted in a the face one makes when changing a baby's diaper.

Taste - Dominant notes of ass mellowing out to body odor after a long workout. Then overwhelming citrus characterized mainly by lemon and orange, flowing to the final and lingering note of coriander, a brief and sadly transient hit of clove, and then a rather disagreeable peppercorn.

Feel - No different than a Bud or Coors. Nothing remarkable.

Frail imitation of a wit.

1.77/5  rDev -54%

Wouldn't buy this beer again. Dogfish has some really good beers so I figured this would be great but it is very dull and light tasting. If I want a similar style I'll grab a Blue Moon or Allagash. I thought it would be much hoppier and stronger but it was dull, wouldn't get it again.

2.07/5  rDev -46.2%

I'm a big fan of Dogfish Head beers and I guess I was just expecting more out of this brew... It was a bit on the boring and plain side. The white wheat beer has a bit of a floral nose and very light citrusy flavor. I'm not a huge fan and it just doesn't seem to fit the mold of normal dogfish head brews.

2.18/5  rDev -43.4%

Brought a 750 ML bottle to a monthly brew club tasting.

A - Pours a cloudy yellow with a hint of orange, pretty typical appearance for a wit. Head seemed to fade pretty fast.

S - The aroma left a lot to be desired, and prestaged the beer itself.

T - I may have had high expectations for a DFH brew, but I was really disappointed. I was expecting a bit more for the money.

M - moderatly carbonated with a crisp finish that left me wanting more of something...anything.

O - I'm kicking myself for buying this beer. I was not alone, everyone who sampled it were not impressed. If it had been one of my homebrews, I would have been embarassed to serve it, much less charge $10 a bottle for it, charity contribution or no. The beer was thin, with the characteristics of a wit, but nothing to make it memorable or recommendable.

If you are a big, big trendy brewery fan, and wear logo jeans and drink with your pinkie finger extended, you might like this anemic brew.

2.34/5  rDev -39.2%

Props to the really cool artwork on the bottle.

A- Pale hazy yellow colored body, nice sized cushy head with some nice lacing.

S- Kinda like a watery Witbier, I keep getting this empty airy watery smell besides for the orange yeast and wheat smell.

T- Again tastes like diluted Witbier, I just cant seem to shake this from the brew no matter how many sips I take.

M- Lots of carbonation, watery.

O- A real disappointment from what I'm used to with this brewery. I would say this is the first time that Dogfish really totally flopped for me, I drain poured the last 10 ounces. Unless I've had a bad bottle which I dont think thats the case I would say to avoid this brew and try the many other fine Witbiers on the market.

2.4/5  rDev -37.7%

Appearance: Very very pale; no yeasty cloudiness, just a light haze. Almost green in color. Not much head retention, and little to no lacing.

Aroma: Not much to see here; a little lemon, a little funk, but not much else.

Taste: A shadow of a witbier. It has a light witbier nose and finish, but not much in between. A little tartness, a fair amount of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: light, not much here. A little bit more carbonation than I would have expected, but that didn't translate into head retention.

Overall: I guess this a "thirst quencher". I don't get much of a flavor from it; maybe the keg this growler was poured from was old. I definitely wouldn't want to pay the normal DFH price for this in a bomber. This is, to put it diplomatically, a lot more "delicately flavored" than most of the DFH offerings. I feel like I was let down; I expect DFH to push the envelope, to go into bold new directions. Instead, they've gone bland.

Again, it's possible I got a bad sample; but I live in Delaware and bought this at a decent store. I'm glad I didn't buy it in (more expensive) bomber format, or I would have been really disappointed.

2.41/5  rDev -37.4%

Poured from a bottle into a dogfish head IPA glass

A: Light yellow; reminiscent of bud light...

S: Smells like honey, urea, and cold chili / dare I say dog food in a can?? - tomatoes, legumes, and cumin- with the slightest bit of red chillies. Even the slightest hint of aluminum

T: Incredibly bland compared to the smell. Initial hops tongue-side burn quickly melts away to a quite sweet overall intake, with a mild spice that fades in as it sits on the tongue.

M: The beginning of the mouthfeel is adequately stimulating. Bitterness hits the center of the tongue and the roof of the mouth for a brief moment. Feels pretty light overall, with generous carbonation that adds to the rapidly passing simulation. Though if the liquid sits for more than 8 seconds in the mouth, it becomes a dull overly sweet Budweiser simulator.

O: All smell and no taste. Not high on the priority list to try again. A beer that seems mildly interesting with first gulp, but as you pay attention to the smell and continue to feel it in your mouth, it becomes less appealing.

2.48/5  rDev -35.6%

A: [2.50] The beer forms almost no head. Just a thin ring around the edge of the glass. Even that is gone instantly. The beer itself is a cloudy apricot color. Overall it is not that appealing to the eye. The bottle does list the ABV (4.8%) and there is a date code that says it was born (07/09/15)

S: [2.00] Smells like a Belgian yeast bomb. Belgian yeast is a scent/flavor that I avoid at all costs. This may not go well... I get nothing else on the nose.

T: [2.50] Belgian yeast up front. Trying to act like an adult and keep going to find other flavors. There is a hint of lemon rind. After a few sips the Belgian yeast flavor is subduing.

M: [3.00] This is really carbonated. I actually like the high carbonation it gives the beer a refreshing feeling to it.

O: [2.75] Belgian yeast is basically my kryptonite. I know "why get a Wit if you hate the yeast it is made from?" Well sometimes I buy a beer without knowing the style just to try it out and see what I can figure out without pre-reading reviews and descriptions. That being said. The mouthfeel is the highlight on this guy. Crisp and refreshing. That's it. I won't drink this again voluntarily.

2.53/5  rDev -34.3%

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's Beer Garden, Media, PA

Sorry Dogfish Head, but I found another brew of yours I don't care for. Pours a hazy yellow with a nice white head, with a light aroma of crisp, floral hops. It gets points for being very refreshing and easily drinkable. However...where was the taste? I can't believe I'd say such a thing about a DFH brew, but there was almost no flavor in this at all, which was disappointing after reading the ingredients. Bear in mind: refreshing? yes; quaffable? yes; flavorful? no.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks, Andrew. A cloudy straw body is topped by a small white head that drops to a thin collar. Smells like herbal tea and wheat bread. Lemongrass and coriander both come through very very strongly. The adjuncts are overpowering, as usual with DFH. Tastes of watery herbal tea, white bread, white pepper and strong coriander. Spices linger on the tongue in the finish. Not necessarily awful, but not good - it's over spiced yet somewhat watery.

2.56/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

There are some refreshing witbier's out there, but this wasn't one of them for me.

I didn't get much of what was advertised on this beer at all. The orange does not come through, and neither do the wheat nor the yeast.

It all gets drowned out by some kind of pungent herbal twang that's just odd.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle

A- Started off with a nice slightly hazy but mostly clear golden color. It gradually got hazier as I disturbed the yeast at the bottom. Ultimately it finished with a mostly cloudy body. It had a white head but it faded away quickly.

S- Mostly a lemongrass note. There was some nice wheat notes and a slight corriander presence at the end. Nice, but soft aromas

T- Somewhat two-dimensional I could get a good sense of the lemongrass and a decent pop from the coriander, but not much else. Wheat notes were very mild and the orange seemed almost non-existent.

M-Smooth and easy to drink. Liked the level of carbonation in it. Overall though it was very light.

O. Nice it had some interesting flavors to it. All of them were a little too mild and not much really stuck with me.

2.59/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

Hazy yellow in color. Pours a very large head that disappeared almost immediately.

Smell- Scents of Lemmon citrus and slight herbal notes.

Taste- taste was Just a weaker version of the smell, very crisp, highly carbonated, bits of Lemmon. Refreshing and very drinkable beer, but tastes like a light lager with Lemmon and herbal notes.

Overall- Refreshing and drinkable, perhaps a nice warmer seasonal, but there are far better and more enjoyable wit biers out there at a far better price. Disappointed.

2.71/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Appearance - Light, transparent yellow gold color. Pours with a light, foamy white head.
Smell - Very little smell, slight sent of coriander/peppercorns
Taste - Light and thin taste. It is slightly bitter, not very sweet at all, not very complex.
Mouthfeel - Light and thin, refreshing feel. The carbonation is perky but not sharp.
Overall - I might be a little harsh on this beer because it's far outside of the kind I normally like to drink. The taste is not very complex and there isn't a really any hops or malt taste. It doesn't feel very balanced to me; just a bit spicy.

2.72/5  rDev -29.4%

Poured cellar temperature in a chalice.

A - Yellow orange with a pure white head.

S - This beer shines here. Orange, lemon, coriander, and a slight barnyardy / earthiness at the end. Really nice smelling beer.

T - Orange and coriander again, but the wheat is really lacking.

M - Light, even for a white beer. A whole bottle (750 mL) is no problem to drink.

O - I am surprised at how little, if at all, this beer pushed the limits. There is really nothing "off-centered" about it. It is a good, not great, representation of the style. I feel it lacks the character of wheatiness that should be present in a wit. I will not be seeking this out again.

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A. It's completely opaque with a straw gold color. There's a big, foamy white head and a fair amount of lacing.

S. Minimal wheat scent.

T/M. Very mild wheat that has a poor kick. Smooth, but nondescript. There's a sour aftertaste.

O. Just kind of lacks character. Flat, nothing special.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This was okay, nothing special here. Had a decent smell and taste, but with some hints of staleness and the peppercorn just does not work for me. The mouth feel was disappointing as well, kinda watery and fizzy all at once. The color was a pale brownish yellow.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured with a huge head and high in carbonation. Very distinct wheat flavor. Didn't get much of the spices. I will have to come back to this one and give it another try.

Bottle.

Pale, hazy straw color. White head, a persistent lacing, looks nicely carbonated.

Light, lemon citrus zest aroma.

Taste is very dry, herbal, slightly of lemongrass but with an astringent finish.

Bright and heavily carbonated mouthfeel. Pleasing enough.

Overall really a miss for me.

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

I had this out of a bottle I was given for my birthday, and for the most part I am glad I got it as a gift (you will hear why in a minute.) This is the Namaste "white ale", a product of the Dogfish Head Craft Brewery in Milton, Delaware. Using MY HOLY CRYSTAL MUG +5, I submit my reivew.

It's an average beer in general--easy to drink, not the most flavorful in the world, but good enough that you won't be disappointed.

Color: Very pretty honey-gold with enough haze to let you know there's some wheat in it. It pours a nice head. Doesn't leave a lattice on the glass.

Nose: I got mostly the lemongrass and a slight hint of the orange peel, which is nice for a springtime brew. It is a bit hard to pick up anything else.

Taste: A lot like the nose, you get the lemongrass and a little bit of orange peel behind it, but the coriander is barely there UNLESS you roll it around the tongue, and it doesn't have the texture that wheat beers usually have aka it is a little too watery for my taste. Very drinkable, I think this would have been better on a very hot day. At 5% ABV there is not real kick to it. Sometimes I felt like I was drinking a lager rather than an ale. There is a enough carbonation for it not to be flat.

Finish: It goes down well, but there's nothing special about the aftertaste beyond the lemongrass. If I could sum this beer up in one word, that would be it: LEMONGRASS.

I am pretty happy I got this for my birthday, as I did like it. It came nowhere close to wowing me, but sometimes that is okay. At the price point I am pretty sure I won't purchase another, but I am glad I got to try it. Gorgeous packaging, but that is Dogfish Head for you.

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

C

750ml into a tulip. Pours a fully hazed pale milky yellow, minor head lasted briefly, little lacing.

Aroma is sharp, citrus although not obvious orange and a hint of something from the medicine cabinet.

The flavor is muted. Dominant taste spike is of potpourri. Zero bitter. The aftertaste of what there is flees the mouth leaving a nondescript sensation rather than a flavor. Thin watery mouthfeel.

my grandmother's house was large, many closets across many bedrooms, none were sliders. Hiding in some, in the dark, I could taste a smell. When I encounter this now, in a wit, it doesn't appeal although the memory is pleasant.
jd

2.81/5  rDev -27%

A - Cloudy white with a little bit of white head. Some thin lacing lingers on the side of the glass.

S - Virtually no smell, at least not of the aromatic ingredients (i.e. lemongrass, orange peel, coriander). The damp grain smell is certainly there but very faint.

T - Taste is very mild wheatiness. I looked really hard for the brew-with ingredients in the taste but I wasn't able to discern anything except for a very mild citrus taste.

M - I like the balance of the gravity and carbonation. High drinkability and refreshing.

O - I can describe this best as a disappointment. It's presented in the special 22 oz bottle and with decent packaging. The perceived concept ('something special') was certainly underwhelmed by utter absence of flavor.

2.85/5  rDev -26%

Arrives a cloudy straw yellow with a nicely sized white head. Great retention but no real lace.
Smell is malt, coriander and lemongrass. Well balanced.
Taste is malt, spices, lemongrass and an overarching artificial lemon cleaner note. The artificial note fades relatively quickly and almost completely to a good aftertaste.
Medium bodied with the carbonation sharp up front but it settles quickly. If you can get past the artificial lemon presence it's a pretty good beer. But it's not easy.

Namaste from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery