Namaste - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: jgasparine on 10-17-2009

A witbier bursting with good karma. Made with dried organic orange slices, fresh-cut lemongrass and a bit of coriander, this Belgian-style white beer is a great thirst quencher.

Reviews: 543 | Hads: 2,775
3.48/5  rDev -10.1%

A- 4 What's lacking in color (almost clear but slightly hazy straw) is made up for in bubbly activity and a big white fluffy head. Very large bubbles, fairly smooth and slightly sticky lacing.

S- 3.5 The aroma of Namaste is of lemon and a bit of coriander spice. It's kind of earthy. It is sour primarily, though, and leaves much more desired from my sniffer.

T- 3.5 Unfortunately I wasn't treated to a pleasant surprise in the taste from what its aroma left me hoping for. It is predominantly lemon and thus sour. I get less spice here than from the aroma. It does have a hint of wheat, and as it warms I find it to sweeten up a little which slightly calms the sourness.

M- 3 This is over-carbonated for my liking. It would be light in body but the high carbonation makes it feel more like medium.

D- 3.5 Not well-enough balanced for me to enjoy much of this. I could split the 750mL but wouldn't want much more. It is a bit sour and over-carbonated. I can get some of the ingredients that were used and I appreciate that, but they just didn't work as well together as I had hoped they would. Worth a shot I suppose. (1,121 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +0.8%

Appearance
Lightly hazy yellow/lemon color. Only a slight head
Smell
Smells like a Belgian White, the coriander and spices are very present
Taste
Herbs, coriander and lemon weave in and out of this.
Overall
Again, another great beer, but not one that I’m a particular fan of, I’m not going to knock it just because it isn’t my thing though. It’s of course another wonderful offering from Dogfish and if you’re a fan of Belgian beers, get yourself some.

-BeerandWhiskeyHQ.com (485 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.1%

P: 750ml bottle into a DFH signature glass.

A: A really nice hazy gold color with a huge white head that you have to let settle before pouring the remainder of the glass. The head is really impressive, this is a fun one to pour as it gets reactions from those watching. The lacing is also nice and it sticks around.

S: Lots of wheat with a bit of a citrus finish. The Belgian yeast is also easy to pick up but not as pronounced as most true Belgian styles. A bit of spice as well, in the realm of clove.

T: Some spiciness up front, finishes bitter. Lots of citrus in this one, the lemon taste from the lemongrass adds a really nice refreshing quality to the oveall taste.

M: Light with lots of carbonation.

D: Very drinkable, very refreshing and a fun take on the traditional Witbier. I could easily keep drinking this beer on a nice summer afternoon. A little more citrus to this one than you'd be used to if you were into Wit's. I like it quite a bit but it won't dethrone some of the more faithful styles for me. (1,020 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Good solid wit. All the mentioned falvors pull through, lemograss adds extra complexity that is really enjoyable. Peppercorn doesn't come through as much as I'd have liked. This beer would be phenomenal with curry or any other Thai or Indian food. Must try. (257 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -10.9%

Shared this bomber with my girlfriend. Poured from a 750ml bottle into two tulips.

A - Pours cloudy gold in color with a super light and fluffy white head. Lots and lots of carbonation covers the glass.

S - Smells like wheat and lots of citrus. Tons of orange, a hint of grapefruit, some spice and maybe some lemon. Smells sharp and spicy.

T - Taste matches the nose. Lots of citrus up front and at the end. Kind of a alot of bittery citrus notes. Orange zest and peel? Wheat also comes through. This is a great summer beer but I'm dissapointed it didn't appear in my local store until after our first snow.

M - Mouthfeel is really light. The carbonation is high. Lots of little bitty bubbles. Once again a great summer beer.

D - If it wasn't 40 degrees out and was instead summer I'd be able to have a few of these and enjoy it. (836 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured into a wine glass and shared with my girlfriend.

Appearance: Pale hazy lemony yellow with a bone white cap of white head that recedes to a slick puddle on top. Some spotty lacing.

Aroma: Some hay like wheatyness with some corriander spice and citrus . A very slight yeast funk in the back.

Taste: Corriander is very strong up front with a bright lemon and herbal notes. The finish is strong peppery notes

Mouthfeel: Very prominant carboation. Very clean mouthfeel. Very light body with a refreshing quality. I am not a huge fan of Witbiers in general but this one is probably one of the better ones that I have had. But keep in mind I haven't had very many. (669 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

25oz poued into pint glass (2.5 times haha)

A-poures a pale yellow color with active head that stays with ya and laces down the glass. some yeast on the bottom, aw yea

S-smells like liquid bread. strong yeast smell and along with the lemongrass and orange vest in it. smells pretty damn good to me

T/M-mmm. tastes very good. fruit-esque with spices up front with yeast in the back. perfect harmony in the flavors, no one flavor is dominant in this guy.

O-reall great beer by Dogfish head. my girlfriend even likes it and shes not a beer person (547 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

You love it or hate it. Me, I love it. Great white beer pours cloudy mellow yellow hue. Fantastic head which disipates nicely and leave great lacing. Flavor is UNIQUE. Citrus mixed with a peppery bite...who'd a thunk. I lie the combo myself. A regular go to in my mix of brews. Average heaviness for similar whites and fells like drinking something stronger than what you are but ABV only 4.8%.
(406 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

Drinking in Jan brewed in 2010 prob a bit older

The appearance is a bright golden yellow beer with a fluffy head that quickly declines into a ring. Also lots of floating good stuff in this beer. This beer smells like summer for sure, I detect lemon, lime, an almost sour edge to the mild grass and clover essence. This bottle tasted very thin and bitter. I detected a strong lemon tartness and I detected the coriander in the background. This is a very refreshing and mild brew a good relaxer. (494 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've never been disappointed with a DFH beer, and I'm not here, but I don't have much to talk up about this beer either. It is a witbier, its made to style, its refreshing; however, I've come to expect a lot from DFH. I guess I was a little let down that it was just a witbier, there wasn't that layered complexity or interesting ingredient that shined through. Maybe I'm being too hard, it is beer and its very drinkable.

Poured a nice sunny hazy gold with a fizzy white head. There was fair head retention with lasting lacing around the glass. The aroma had lemongrass, citrus and yeast. The flavor was similar to aroma with lemon and yeast, some malt sweetness that complimented the creamy mouthfeel and slight alcohol presence. (733 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +18.3%

Not knowing anything about it other than it is yet another beer from Dogfish Head, I picked up a 750 ml bottle of Namaste to try from my local bottle shop. It sat untouched for quite some time, but now I regret not trying it sooner so that I can go and buy more (it is no longer available).

When I first poured it I was surprised not to see the all too typical dark-dark-dark, or at least very brown, beer I expect to see when I open something from DogFish Head, but this was a light and colorful pour that looked and smelled terrific.

All of the flavors they say are in there (orange slices, fresh cut lemongrass and coriander) are indeed there and in just the right amount for each. It was very good from first sip to last sip and overall loved the taste and want more! (773 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Duvel snifter.

Appearance: Pale straw yellow with about one finger's worth of head. Quickly dissipates. Not much lacing on the glass.

Smell: Grass, lemon peel, coriander, yeast.

Taste: Lemon peel and coriander up front. Yeast and some biscuity malt in the middle. A faint whiff of hops, and more citrus at the end. Some other spices round everything out: maybe white pepper and a bit of sea salt?

Mouthfeel: Very crisp with a medium to light body. Nicely carbonated, with a snappy finish.

Overall: A pretty nice brew. Not overly complex, but it paired well with dinner, and also seems decently sessionable. It's very well balanced. Would have again. Another nice beer from DFH. (698 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +14.2%

750 ML bottle

A - Pours a cloudy yellow with a hint of orange hue to it. The huge white bubbly head slowly fades away leaving a minmal lacing around the glass.

S - Yeasty, bready, sweet fruits, lemon zest aroma. A very simple smelling beer, not a whole lot going on.

T - I get a nice refreshing lemon and orange zest with a clove like presence in the middle and a faint lemon bread finish. The combination of flavors is so simple but woven togther to form a flavor profile that feels complex.

M - moderatly carbonated with a crisp clean finish that leaves a nice spicy citrus flavor on the palete.

O - I'm kicking myself for not having this beer sooner. In fact, I plan on buying about 10 more. At 5% ABV, this could be a great session beer for these above 90 degree days we have getting latley. (801 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +5.2%

Dogfish Head Namaste, like all their other brews, comes to us with a little hype and a little catch. Dogfish has had some trouble supplying all the markets lately, so quantities are again pretty limited. Described on the website as a Belgian-style White, made with orange slices, lemongrass, and coriander, the Namaste is sure to be interesting.

The Namaste pours into my Duvel glass a light yellow/golden color, and very hazy. It's not completely opaque, but about as opaque as I've seen an American made White. The head is nice and thick, lots of carbonation makes for a soft, fluffy, one-inch foam.

Aromas fill my nose with light citrus notes, the lemon and orange is fairly evident. It doesn't smell nearly as full or spicy as I expected though. I'm not really getting any coriander, but there is a distinct yeasty layer to it. Overall the aromas are very soft, but definitely a bit interesting.

Once I take a sip, wow is that tasty! Very smooth and refreshing, yet complex and interesting at the same time. Just a tiny bit of hops shows through the light citrus wheat beer. Very creamy mouth feel, very subtle nuance of the yeasty citrus beer.

I think many of the American imitations in the Belgian White style fall short of greatness. Several brand names come to mind, eh-hem Blue Moon, that are just mediocre representations of really great styles. The Dogfish Head Namaste doesn't fall into that category. Refreshing and smooth, yet fairly full and complex. This is one of the best American imitations I've seen. (1,528 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

A: A pleasant and clear golden color. Also collects a very nice frothy white head that lingers and laces the glass as it dissipates.

S: Really sweet smelling lemons, with a really subtle hint of honey, vanilla, and lavender on the nose.

Taste: A clove spiciness up front, followed by a very pleasant and sweet lemon finish. The lemon grass is really noticeable and lingers a bit on your tongue. There is a hint of citrusy Oranges but also huge bread finish.

M: Bubbly! This has a very high carbonation to it, and a smooth pillowy mouth feel. Reminds me of a champagne almost.

O: Overall I'm going to give this beer a A+ for what it is; an extremely refreshing summer witbier from Dogfish Head. I'm not a huge fan of the style, but this is a really tasty beer, and I'd drink this easily after a hot summer day being that it's only 5% abv. It's truly a pleasant experience to drink and won't get you too hammered. I recommend this beer! (944 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from 12-ounce bottle into tulip glass. Hazy, muted yellow with a substantial soapy white head that dissipated rather quickly. Aroma has all the elements of the typical witbier, coriander and citrus. The orange-y aroma carries over onto the palate, with a nice peppery bitter orange aftertaste. This is a fine offering from DFH. (334 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +1%

pours a nice light hay color typical of witbiers. nice pillowy head. dissipates quickly. some sediments on the bottom

aromas are faint even at near room temperature. nice spices.

feeling is light. nice malty sweetness, not overwhelming. citrusy, fruity, lots of spices (coriander? anise? definitely feel the orange peel). light carbonation. low alcohol.

this is great. a nice session-able beer for the summer time. (418 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -19.6%

Namaste pours a pale, barely cloudy light yellow body with 2 inch fluffy head. Lacing lingers all over the wheat beer glass. Smell is bananas and faint citrus, really only what I expect from a witbier here. Taste is initially zesty and bold coriander, but then balances out with the crisp and clean lemon flavor. Banana taste is dominant. There is moderate carbonation and this is a light weight brew. Dogfish Head pretty much playing it safe here with a solid, but kind of boring witbier. I was expecting something more funky even though it's a witbier and I noticed the regular ingredients were used for this style of brew. It's okay and I'll leave it at that. (662 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -37.7%

Poured from a bottle into a dogfish head IPA glass

A: Light yellow; reminiscent of bud light...

S: Smells like honey, urea, and cold chili / dare I say dog food in a can?? - tomatoes, legumes, and cumin- with the slightest bit of red chillies. Even the slightest hint of aluminum

T: Incredibly bland compared to the smell. Initial hops tongue-side burn quickly melts away to a quite sweet overall intake, with a mild spice that fades in as it sits on the tongue.

M: The beginning of the mouthfeel is adequately stimulating. Bitterness hits the center of the tongue and the roof of the mouth for a brief moment. Feels pretty light overall, with generous carbonation that adds to the rapidly passing simulation. Though if the liquid sits for more than 8 seconds in the mouth, it becomes a dull overly sweet Budweiser simulator.

O: All smell and no taste. Not high on the priority list to try again. A beer that seems mildly interesting with first gulp, but as you pay attention to the smell and continue to feel it in your mouth, it becomes less appealing. (1,062 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Nice hazy yellow, foamy white head is very nice and remains, also some lacing.

S: Citrus smell which is ok, some coriander.

T: Great spiced citrus, and coriander is present, very enjoyable,

M: Very easy drinking, smooth and leaves a tingle.

O: Not your typical Wit and thats kind of what I expected from Dogfish. I liked the complexity of it, and would def enjoy a few more. (381 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +4.4%

There was no head what-so-ever. The taste was great, and the look was pretty Adjunct Lager-esc, but I was pleasantly surprised on this one. Good beer from Dogfish Head, but not their best. (188 characters)

3.44/5  rDev -11.1%

Appearance is a nice foggy blonde color, with a pure white and thick and foamy head.

Smell is everything a wheat beer should smell like, oranges, a hint of spices, some lemon, and a hint of fresh baked bread.

The taste is a little weak. Coriander is the flavor that dominates, but besides that it is water, and weak. So lots of coriander, and a hint of lemon and orange juice, but besides that not a whole lot going on.

Mouthfeel though is decently thick and creamy, and seems to coat well.

Overall its an easy drinking beer, nothing to write home about though. (565 characters)

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color.

Overall: Light beer with a crisp taste. Light hints of wheat, coriander and citrus. A really good light beer very tasty. (162 characters)

Yuck! We purchased a six pack of this. And I know it wasn't a personal preference, this beer was repulsive. I had another person smell and taste my beer and they agreed there was something very wrong with it. To describe the smell and taste would make a sailor blush. The next day we opened two more bottles and one of them was exactly the same. It had a disgusting smell and taste. The other had a hint of the odor but was flat. I don't think I will try it again. (464 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured lemony yellow with not much head. Looks delicious. Grains with soft citrus and floral in the nose. Almost peppery taste with nice carbonation. Hoppy background with a great mouthfeel. Very nice refreshing beer. Never been disappointed by a dfh except for black and blue. (277 characters)

Namaste from Dogfish Head Brewery