Namaste - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: jgasparine on 10-17-2009

A witbier bursting with good karma. Made with dried organic orange slices, fresh-cut lemongrass and a bit of coriander, this Belgian-style white beer is a great thirst quencher.

Reviews: 557 | Hads: 2,853
4.09/5  rDev +6%

Gift from a friend. Thanks Nic!
Pours pale golden even straw coloured. Hazy with some big floaters... Nice classic witbier look. Thin white head disapearing too quickly. Carbonnation seems low.
N: Very very nice! Coriander dominates strongly, wet grass, faint lemon. Something sweet in the scent that I have trouble sorting out, peach?
M: Carbonation is surprisingly high. Fizzy on tongue. Bitterness is very low, almost absent or counter balance with the malt. Light bodied.
T: Matches the nose. Strong coriander taste upfront. spices as in a classic witbier. Lemon notes and wheat.

Overall: A good brew from DFH, but a little bit highly priced (10$/750ml). Highly drinkable. Perfect for summer days.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

I have enjoyed many of what we call summer wheat styles of ale. And while these ales are refreshing, they do lack the ABV that I really look for in a beer. That being said, here is what I think.

Look and aroma were decent. Cloudy yellow with a little bit of head.

The taste is refreshing with lemongrass and the other spices listed on the label.

Overall, easy drinking and better than other commercial domestic summer wheat style ales. It is one of those beers you can drink all night, but not a beer you would drink every night.

Bottle from Lazy Dog Macon. Pours light gold color with fluffy white head. Aroma is citrus with hints of hay. Flavor is of wheat malt with coriander and citrus hops on the back end. Light carbonation and very refreshing.

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

Pours a clear golden color with a big white head that dissipates quickly. The smells is very sweet with lemon and grass. Also clove is detected. The Taste is mostly a combination of the grass and lemon. It is very interesting, I dont like it but I dont hate it. The beer is very drinkable and has a good mouthfeel. Overall decent but didnt win me over to buy it regularly. Its definitely more of a summer beer too.

3.89/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured from a bottle to an English pint glass. Hazy blonde with a thick frothy white head that recedes with nice lacing. Aroma is orange peel, lemon, coriander. Flavor is the same. There’s also pepper in the finish. Thin mouthfeel. Nice summer beer..

3.69/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a mild yellow, with a one finger white head, minimal lacing. The smell is of malt, corn, lemon, and old banana. Taste is of citrus at first with some undernotes of pepper and corn. Mouth feel is pretty thin, just enough carbonation. Overall decent beer, expect better from dogfish though, wouldn't seek it out again.

3.57/5  rDev -7.5%

A: Pours a nice hazy golden color with two thumbs of thick white head with excellent retention and god lacing.

S: This smell like a wit, with huge generous amounts of coriander and tangy orange. It leaves me thinking of Brussels.

T: The taste is very similar to the aroma with an extra yeasty flavor that mingles with the grainy wheat. You get all that zesty orange and deep coriander lingering.

M: Nice carbonation with a light body and dry finish.

D: Not my favorite Dogfish Head but one of the nicest wit's that I have had.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

A - Hazy goldenrod color with creamy white head that hangs around a while. Lots of sediment

S - Wet straw, lemongrass, touch of orange.

T - Slight hint of orange, lemon, and honey. Slightly spicey.

M - Good deal of carbonation, medium bodied for the style.

O - I love Dogfish Head brews and get to their brewpubs at the beach several times a summer at least, but this one doesn't blow me away as some of their others do. It's a perfectly pleasant brew, but nothing I'd rave about. Great summer selection though.

My friend and I, who enjoyed this with me at the brewpub, realized that Namaste is best when paired with food. It's a tasty summer brew then!

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Smells like lemons. What a refreshing delight, what with its super bubbly personality. Giant cumulus head magically parts at the command of my gob. High quench factor with little bitter in this spicy concoction. What a dry ride this one was. Get it. My gob commands it.

4.17/5  rDev +8%

750 ml bottle
2010 vinatge
poured into tulip

thanks to njbeernerd for this fine beer

Color: A hazy golden straw color. Big white head of at least 3 fingers. This beer is well carbonates and leaves behind minimal lacing.

Nose: Big on the orange... sweet juicy oranges. Also evident is lemon grass which is later complimented by the coriander. Traces of wheat as well

Palate: soft and gentle. A light bodied beer with plenty of character and presence. The lemon grass is big on the tongue and the the orange taste floats in the background.

Finish: Crisp and refreshing. Goes down smooth and with a nice body of flavors. Very well done

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured with a huge head and high in carbonation. Very distinct wheat flavor. Didn't get much of the spices. I will have to come back to this one and give it another try.

3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

A- 4 What's lacking in color (almost clear but slightly hazy straw) is made up for in bubbly activity and a big white fluffy head. Very large bubbles, fairly smooth and slightly sticky lacing.

S- 3.5 The aroma of Namaste is of lemon and a bit of coriander spice. It's kind of earthy. It is sour primarily, though, and leaves much more desired from my sniffer.

T- 3.5 Unfortunately I wasn't treated to a pleasant surprise in the taste from what its aroma left me hoping for. It is predominantly lemon and thus sour. I get less spice here than from the aroma. It does have a hint of wheat, and as it warms I find it to sweeten up a little which slightly calms the sourness.

M- 3 This is over-carbonated for my liking. It would be light in body but the high carbonation makes it feel more like medium.

D- 3.5 Not well-enough balanced for me to enjoy much of this. I could split the 750mL but wouldn't want much more. It is a bit sour and over-carbonated. I can get some of the ingredients that were used and I appreciate that, but they just didn't work as well together as I had hoped they would. Worth a shot I suppose.

3.9/5  rDev +1%

Lightly hazy yellow/lemon color. Only a slight head
Smells like a Belgian White, the coriander and spices are very present
Herbs, coriander and lemon weave in and out of this.
Again, another great beer, but not one that I’m a particular fan of, I’m not going to knock it just because it isn’t my thing though. It’s of course another wonderful offering from Dogfish and if you’re a fan of Belgian beers, get yourself some.

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

P: 750ml bottle into a DFH signature glass.

A: A really nice hazy gold color with a huge white head that you have to let settle before pouring the remainder of the glass. The head is really impressive, this is a fun one to pour as it gets reactions from those watching. The lacing is also nice and it sticks around.

S: Lots of wheat with a bit of a citrus finish. The Belgian yeast is also easy to pick up but not as pronounced as most true Belgian styles. A bit of spice as well, in the realm of clove.

T: Some spiciness up front, finishes bitter. Lots of citrus in this one, the lemon taste from the lemongrass adds a really nice refreshing quality to the oveall taste.

M: Light with lots of carbonation.

D: Very drinkable, very refreshing and a fun take on the traditional Witbier. I could easily keep drinking this beer on a nice summer afternoon. A little more citrus to this one than you'd be used to if you were into Wit's. I like it quite a bit but it won't dethrone some of the more faithful styles for me.

4.13/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Good solid wit. All the mentioned falvors pull through, lemograss adds extra complexity that is really enjoyable. Peppercorn doesn't come through as much as I'd have liked. This beer would be phenomenal with curry or any other Thai or Indian food. Must try.

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%

Shared this bomber with my girlfriend. Poured from a 750ml bottle into two tulips.

A - Pours cloudy gold in color with a super light and fluffy white head. Lots and lots of carbonation covers the glass.

S - Smells like wheat and lots of citrus. Tons of orange, a hint of grapefruit, some spice and maybe some lemon. Smells sharp and spicy.

T - Taste matches the nose. Lots of citrus up front and at the end. Kind of a alot of bittery citrus notes. Orange zest and peel? Wheat also comes through. This is a great summer beer but I'm dissapointed it didn't appear in my local store until after our first snow.

M - Mouthfeel is really light. The carbonation is high. Lots of little bitty bubbles. Once again a great summer beer.

D - If it wasn't 40 degrees out and was instead summer I'd be able to have a few of these and enjoy it.

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into a wine glass and shared with my girlfriend.

Appearance: Pale hazy lemony yellow with a bone white cap of white head that recedes to a slick puddle on top. Some spotty lacing.

Aroma: Some hay like wheatyness with some corriander spice and citrus . A very slight yeast funk in the back.

Taste: Corriander is very strong up front with a bright lemon and herbal notes. The finish is strong peppery notes

Mouthfeel: Very prominant carboation. Very clean mouthfeel. Very light body with a refreshing quality. I am not a huge fan of Witbiers in general but this one is probably one of the better ones that I have had. But keep in mind I haven't had very many.

4.7/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

25oz poued into pint glass (2.5 times haha)

A-poures a pale yellow color with active head that stays with ya and laces down the glass. some yeast on the bottom, aw yea

S-smells like liquid bread. strong yeast smell and along with the lemongrass and orange vest in it. smells pretty damn good to me

T/M-mmm. tastes very good. fruit-esque with spices up front with yeast in the back. perfect harmony in the flavors, no one flavor is dominant in this guy.

O-reall great beer by Dogfish head. my girlfriend even likes it and shes not a beer person

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Several 12 ounce bottles consumed over several days/nights. Poured into a Speigelau stemmed Pilsner glass. Thus far, I have only seen this beer sold by the individual bottle at my local Whole Foods. Was there this afternoon and there were none left. Too bad, as this is a wonderful Witbier and one that I'd drink happily again and again. The only two Witbiers I rate higher than this are Allagash White and St. Bernardus Witbier. My favorite offering so far from Dogfish Head.

4.07/5  rDev +5.4%

Drinking in Jan brewed in 2010 prob a bit older

The appearance is a bright golden yellow beer with a fluffy head that quickly declines into a ring. Also lots of floating good stuff in this beer. This beer smells like summer for sure, I detect lemon, lime, an almost sour edge to the mild grass and clover essence. This bottle tasted very thin and bitter. I detected a strong lemon tartness and I detected the coriander in the background. This is a very refreshing and mild brew a good relaxer.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color.

Overall: Light beer with a crisp taste. Light hints of wheat, coriander and citrus. A really good light beer very tasty.

4.58/5  rDev +18.7%

Not knowing anything about it other than it is yet another beer from Dogfish Head, I picked up a 750 ml bottle of Namaste to try from my local bottle shop. It sat untouched for quite some time, but now I regret not trying it sooner so that I can go and buy more (it is no longer available).

When I first poured it I was surprised not to see the all too typical dark-dark-dark, or at least very brown, beer I expect to see when I open something from DogFish Head, but this was a light and colorful pour that looked and smelled terrific.

All of the flavors they say are in there (orange slices, fresh cut lemongrass and coriander) are indeed there and in just the right amount for each. It was very good from first sip to last sip and overall loved the taste and want more!

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I've never been disappointed with a DFH beer, and I'm not here, but I don't have much to talk up about this beer either. It is a witbier, its made to style, its refreshing; however, I've come to expect a lot from DFH. I guess I was a little let down that it was just a witbier, there wasn't that layered complexity or interesting ingredient that shined through. Maybe I'm being too hard, it is beer and its very drinkable.

Poured a nice sunny hazy gold with a fizzy white head. There was fair head retention with lasting lacing around the glass. The aroma had lemongrass, citrus and yeast. The flavor was similar to aroma with lemon and yeast, some malt sweetness that complimented the creamy mouthfeel and slight alcohol presence.

3.86/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Duvel snifter.

Appearance: Pale straw yellow with about one finger's worth of head. Quickly dissipates. Not much lacing on the glass.

Smell: Grass, lemon peel, coriander, yeast.

Taste: Lemon peel and coriander up front. Yeast and some biscuity malt in the middle. A faint whiff of hops, and more citrus at the end. Some other spices round everything out: maybe white pepper and a bit of sea salt?

Mouthfeel: Very crisp with a medium to light body. Nicely carbonated, with a snappy finish.

Overall: A pretty nice brew. Not overly complex, but it paired well with dinner, and also seems decently sessionable. It's very well balanced. Would have again. Another nice beer from DFH.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

750 ML bottle

A - Pours a cloudy yellow with a hint of orange hue to it. The huge white bubbly head slowly fades away leaving a minmal lacing around the glass.

S - Yeasty, bready, sweet fruits, lemon zest aroma. A very simple smelling beer, not a whole lot going on.

T - I get a nice refreshing lemon and orange zest with a clove like presence in the middle and a faint lemon bread finish. The combination of flavors is so simple but woven togther to form a flavor profile that feels complex.

M - moderatly carbonated with a crisp clean finish that leaves a nice spicy citrus flavor on the palete.

O - I'm kicking myself for not having this beer sooner. In fact, I plan on buying about 10 more. At 5% ABV, this could be a great session beer for these above 90 degree days we have getting latley.

Namaste from Dogfish Head Brewery