Namaste - Dogfish Head Brewery

NamasteNamaste

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

A witbier bursting with good karma. Made with dried organic orange slices, fresh-cut lemongrass and a bit of coriander, this Belgian-style white beer is a great thirst quencher.

(Beer added by: jgasparine on 10-17-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Namaste Alström Bros

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

"Namaste, the word kinds sorta means the spirit in me recognizes and celebrates the spirit in you. Namaste the beer kinda sorta means white ale as in wheat and coriander but also means dried orange slices and lemongrass. A refreshing summer thing. Namaste."

Glug, glug, glug goes the beer out of the bottle and into the glass.

Light apricot, pale peach appearance, bountiful head on it, billowy snow drift holding fast atop, bubbly, lace leaving. Mostly clear, with small particles at the bottom, some twisting around throughout the glass. Is this typical of this one, or do I have an older bottle?

Aroma: ah! Zesty, airy, uplifting, sweet, and slightly tart, with the coriander very vivid, and the orange just a little behind. Lemongrass, I don't have a handle on, though I've had my share of Town Hall's various lemongrass brews. I lean into the glass further and plunge my nose straight in …lightly fruity and spicy, and very pretty.

Taste: soft on the palate, with a distinct grassiness. Light bodied, with a constant delivery of light fruit and spice. Slides down and back with minimal effort.

Soft, breezy, and beautiful. Mmmmm. Nice. Namaste.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's Namaste a couple days ago for $9.89 at The Lager Mill. I was looking for a new Witbier to try with some family members who like the style, so lets see how it goes. 2012 vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks nice and it's pretty eye catching, it poured a nice hazy straw color that took on a slight gold color when held to the light and it had three fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left come nice rings of lacing. This was a very nice looking Witbier,.

S- The aroma starts off with a little bit of grainy wheat that doesn't smell that sweet and is followed by a nice earthy and grassy aroma. Next comes citrus aromas like oranges and lemons with the lemons seeming to stick out the most with a lemongrass like aroma and there was also a really slight banana aroma. Towards the end comes the spices which are mainly clove but there was also some peppery, herbal and coriander like aromas. I liked the aroma of this beer, it was nice and pretty complex.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts of with some slightly sweet malted wheat flavors followed by some bread like flavors that quickly give way to a good amount of citrus flavors like lemon rind, orange zest, lemon grass, and a very slight bit of banana. After that comes a slight earthy and grassy flavors that's followed by a good amount of spice that aren't overpowering and impart all those nice spices that I picked up in the aroma. There's hardly any bitterness on the finish, with some nice citrus, wheat, and spices on the aftertaste. I liked the flavor of this beer, it was good and it had some nice complexity to it.

M- Very smooth, crisp, refreshing, on the light side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was good and the slightly higher carbonation worked well with this beer, it was pretty refreshing.

Overall I liked this beer and I thought that it was a good and true example of the style, it pretty much had everything that I look for in the style so I wasn't left wanting more, everyone I shared it with liked it. This beer had great drinkability, it was really smooth and refreshing, I could see myself having no problem drinking the whole bottle, a great choice for a warm summer afternoon. What I liked most about this beer was how true to style and complex it was, it wasn't overdone by any means and it had great balance. What I liked least about this beer is that Dogfish Head doesn't put this in 12oz bottles, it seems like the perfect beer for that format, almost $10 dollars for 750ml of a 5% Witbier isn't a great deal. I don't think I would buy this beer again, maybe for a special occasion, but for the price I couldn't justify buying it often. All in all I was impressed with this beer, I was expecting something a little odd and different with this beer, instead I just got a really good tasting Witbier and that's just what I needed, good work guys, this is one solid and good tasting Witbier.

750ml bottle poured into tulip. 2012.

A - Light hazy golden yellow with a large creamy head.

S - Very earthy and grassy with lemon, herbal spice, and oranges.

T - Subtle but pleasant flavor of sweet bready malt, lemon citrus, orange peel, and Belgian yeast. Slight hints of clove, coriander, and pepper.

M - Extremely light bodied, crisp, and refreshing. Silky with lots of carbonation.

O - One of the most sessionable witbiers I've had. Taste is subtle and delicate but enjoyable. Just a touch of Belgian yeast. Decent brew.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%