Namaste - Dogfish Head Brewery

NamasteNamaste

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

A witbier bursting with good karma. Made with dried organic orange slices, fresh-cut lemongrass and a bit of coriander, this Belgian-style white beer is a great thirst quencher.

(Beer added by: jgasparine on 10-17-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Namaste Alström Bros
2.15/5  rDev -43%

Brought a 750 ML bottle to a monthly brew club tasting.

A - Pours a cloudy yellow with a hint of orange, pretty typical appearance for a wit. Head seemed to fade pretty fast.

S - The aroma left a lot to be desired, and prestaged the beer itself.

T - I may have had high expectations for a DFH brew, but I was really disappointed. I was expecting a bit more for the money.

M - moderatly carbonated with a crisp finish that left me wanting more of something...anything.

O - I'm kicking myself for buying this beer. I was not alone, everyone who sampled it were not impressed. If it had been one of my homebrews, I would have been embarassed to serve it, much less charge $10 a bottle for it, charity contribution or no. The beer was thin, with the characteristics of a wit, but nothing to make it memorable or recommendable.

If you are a big, big trendy brewery fan, and wear logo jeans and drink with your pinkie finger extended, you might like this anemic brew.

2.2/5  rDev -41.6%

2.3/5  rDev -39%

Props to the really cool artwork on the bottle.

A- Pale hazy yellow colored body, nice sized cushy head with some nice lacing.

S- Kinda like a watery Witbier, I keep getting this empty airy watery smell besides for the orange yeast and wheat smell.

T- Again tastes like diluted Witbier, I just cant seem to shake this from the brew no matter how many sips I take.

M- Lots of carbonation, watery.

O- A real disappointment from what I'm used to with this brewery. I would say this is the first time that Dogfish really totally flopped for me, I drain poured the last 10 ounces. Unless I've had a bad bottle which I dont think thats the case I would say to avoid this brew and try the many other fine Witbiers on the market.

2.35/5  rDev -37.7%

Appearance: Very very pale; no yeasty cloudiness, just a light haze. Almost green in color. Not much head retention, and little to no lacing.

Aroma: Not much to see here; a little lemon, a little funk, but not much else.

Taste: A shadow of a witbier. It has a light witbier nose and finish, but not much in between. A little tartness, a fair amount of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: light, not much here. A little bit more carbonation than I would have expected, but that didn't translate into head retention.

Overall: I guess this a "thirst quencher". I don't get much of a flavor from it; maybe the keg this growler was poured from was old. I definitely wouldn't want to pay the normal DFH price for this in a bomber. This is, to put it diplomatically, a lot more "delicately flavored" than most of the DFH offerings. I feel like I was let down; I expect DFH to push the envelope, to go into bold new directions. Instead, they've gone bland.

Again, it's possible I got a bad sample; but I live in Delaware and bought this at a decent store. I'm glad I didn't buy it in (more expensive) bomber format, or I would have been really disappointed.

2.36/5  rDev -37.4%

2.48/5  rDev -34.2%

First had: bottle from Pinocchio's Beer Garden, Media, PA

Sorry Dogfish Head, but I found another brew of yours I don't care for. Pours a hazy yellow with a nice white head, with a light aroma of crisp, floral hops. It gets points for being very refreshing and easily drinkable. However...where was the taste? I can't believe I'd say such a thing about a DFH brew, but there was almost no flavor in this at all, which was disappointing after reading the ingredients. Bear in mind: refreshing? yes; quaffable? yes; flavorful? no.

2.48/5  rDev -34.2%

Poured from a bottle into a dogfish head IPA glass

A: Light yellow; reminiscent of bud light...

S: Smells like honey, urea, and cold chili / dare I say dog food in a can?? - tomatoes, legumes, and cumin- with the slightest bit of red chillies. Even the slightest hint of aluminum

T: Incredibly bland compared to the smell. Initial hops tongue-side burn quickly melts away to a quite sweet overall intake, with a mild spice that fades in as it sits on the tongue.

M: The beginning of the mouthfeel is adequately stimulating. Bitterness hits the center of the tongue and the roof of the mouth for a brief moment. Feels pretty light overall, with generous carbonation that adds to the rapidly passing simulation. Though if the liquid sits for more than 8 seconds in the mouth, it becomes a dull overly sweet Budweiser simulator.

O: All smell and no taste. Not high on the priority list to try again. A beer that seems mildly interesting with first gulp, but as you pay attention to the smell and continue to feel it in your mouth, it becomes less appealing.

Namaste from Dogfish Head Brewery