Namaste - Dogfish Head Brewery

NamasteNamaste

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

A witbier bursting with good karma. Made with dried organic orange slices, fresh-cut lemongrass and a bit of coriander, this Belgian-style white beer is a great thirst quencher.

(Beer added by: jgasparine on 10-17-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Namaste Alström Bros
2.79/5  rDev -26%

I had this out of a bottle I was given for my birthday, and for the most part I am glad I got it as a gift (you will hear why in a minute.) This is the Namaste "white ale", a product of the Dogfish Head Craft Brewery in Milton, Delaware. Using MY HOLY CRYSTAL MUG +5, I submit my reivew.

It's an average beer in general--easy to drink, not the most flavorful in the world, but good enough that you won't be disappointed.

Color: Very pretty honey-gold with enough haze to let you know there's some wheat in it. It pours a nice head. Doesn't leave a lattice on the glass.

Nose: I got mostly the lemongrass and a slight hint of the orange peel, which is nice for a springtime brew. It is a bit hard to pick up anything else.

Taste: A lot like the nose, you get the lemongrass and a little bit of orange peel behind it, but the coriander is barely there UNLESS you roll it around the tongue, and it doesn't have the texture that wheat beers usually have aka it is a little too watery for my taste. Very drinkable, I think this would have been better on a very hot day. At 5% ABV there is not real kick to it. Sometimes I felt like I was drinking a lager rather than an ale. There is a enough carbonation for it not to be flat.

Finish: It goes down well, but there's nothing special about the aftertaste beyond the lemongrass. If I could sum this beer up in one word, that would be it: LEMONGRASS.

I am pretty happy I got this for my birthday, as I did like it. It came nowhere close to wowing me, but sometimes that is okay. At the price point I am pretty sure I won't purchase another, but I am glad I got to try it. Gorgeous packaging, but that is Dogfish Head for you.

JayReq, Apr 06, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

A - Cloudy white with a little bit of white head. Some thin lacing lingers on the side of the glass.

S - Virtually no smell, at least not of the aromatic ingredients (i.e. lemongrass, orange peel, coriander). The damp grain smell is certainly there but very faint.

T - Taste is very mild wheatiness. I looked really hard for the brew-with ingredients in the taste but I wasn't able to discern anything except for a very mild citrus taste.

M - I like the balance of the gravity and carbonation. High drinkability and refreshing.

O - I can describe this best as a disappointment. It's presented in the special 22 oz bottle and with decent packaging. The perceived concept ('something special') was certainly underwhelmed by utter absence of flavor.

sayyad, Mar 04, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -25.7%

TDwyer223, Aug 18, 2014
2.84/5  rDev -24.7%

Copperdog, Sep 07, 2014
2.86/5  rDev -24.1%

Poured in to a Hefe glass...beer was slightly hazy with a huge thick white head.
Smelled of lemon with a hint of Belgian Spiciness.
Taste was watery and light. Extremely faint orange reminded me of bighting into an under-ripe Clementine ( is there anything more disappointing?)
Did have the pleasant body and spritzy carbonation of a Hefe
Over all, I'm super disappointed! The beer looked amazing in the glass but failed to live up to those expectations! Would recommend as a small step up for
a light beer

jwps214, Jan 25, 2014
2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

A: Pale, golden, with a slight opacity. Nicely carbonated - almost perfect. Good head retention in my Witbier glass.

S: You can easily smell the spicy notes, coriander, and lemon - A reviving scent.

T: Lemon and spicy/peppery at the start, but the lemon dominates the aftertaste.

M: Dry finish and decent carbonation. The mouthfeel is very light and would be refreshing if not for the dominant lemons.

D: This *should* be refreshing but the lemon notes just overpower. Sadly, it reminds me too much of furniture polish right now.

Note: I've been a HUGE fan of DFH since 2000 when I lived in DE - back in the "old" brewery where 120 min was offered in bottles of this size. They make supurb beers!

This is just one beer that doesn't quite suit my tastes right now. I would certainly recommend a bottle to try, though. I think I'll give this one another go after a round of golf in hot/humid July afternoon.

BlitzShadow, Mar 23, 2011
2.92/5  rDev -22.5%

jpolet, Aug 14, 2014
2.92/5  rDev -22.5%

mattday25, Aug 25, 2014
2.94/5  rDev -22%

Interesting beer with some unique qualities and a hefty price tag. Namaste has most notably a lot of Belgian flavors and influences. Banana, clove, spice, coriander, citrus, bread, yeast fill the nose and palate. Coriander is a bit overwhelming for me. Flavor dies off very quickly leaving only some yeasty funk for an after taste. Mild orange sweetness. Body is light and carbonated, helping some of the brighter flavors flourish. Overall, certainly not a bad beer, but it was a little heavy on some of the spices for me, especially for what i was expecting to be an easy drinker. I couldn't drink more than one in a row.

The only other thing I have to add is that the price was RIDICULOUS. I don't know if it was just the store that I go to but I paid almost $16 for a sixer. Pretty hefty for a low ABV beer.

Samuel906, Apr 13, 2014
2.98/5  rDev -21%

750ml into pint. From notes

A: a light straw yellow hue, with thick white head and spotty lacing. There is a good amount of protien floating around in the glass and bottle, even with a careful pour.

S: The aroma shows dominate wheat notes, with a hint of lemon. Medium intensity.

T/M: the body is clean with a light spice, showing a good use of American wheat yeast. The hops are projecting a very grassy, earthy note. A bit of a lacking lingering taste and mouthfeel, as the brew does not have a great depth.

O: overall a good brew, but not impressed, as DFH has set the bar for many unique styles, this one falls a bit short.

GDBEERMAN, Jul 20, 2011
2.98/5  rDev -21%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy yellow color. The head is one finger high, with a creamy white shade. Retention isn't much, but man does this leave behind a lot of lacing behind.

S: This is extremely doughy to me. The yeast is quite prevalent on the nose, and frankly a bit stinky. Still, I do pick up much of the advertised ingredients (coriander, lemongrass, orange, and peppercorns), if only subtly. There's just something about a lot of wits that make me think 'manure' (sadly, so does this), but it's a subjective thing not worth giving a low score to.

T: Follows the nose to an extent...except the manure, thankfully. The opening flavors are extremely yeasty: this is kind of like chewing on bread straight-up. Its finish is slightly citrusy, with only soft herbal hints. I'm really on the fence whether I like its doughy character or not.

M: Feels heavier than it should. The carbonation is solid and it finishes dryly, so at least it's not undrinkable. Still, it should have been effortless.

O: I usually never have a strong opinion on most of the DFH regulars, good or bad, and guess what? This is another DFH regular that's only okay to me. I would have felt royally gypped paying +$10 for a 750 of this, so thanks to its 6-pack availability, I can merely give it a nonchalant shrug.

ThisWangsChung, Jan 03, 2014