Black Thai - Dogfish Head Brewery

No picture uploaded.

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Black Thai is an Imperial Stout brewed with edamame and Thai basil. It is then fermented with a lager yeast and 250 pounds of pureed Oregon blackberries.

(Beer added by: lackenhauser on 11-14-2009)

yourefragile, Apr 21, 2014

KAP1356, Feb 12, 2013

waiting4lunch, Nov 18, 2011

THECPJ, Nov 14, 2011
2.63/5  rDev -25.1%

The nose of this beer is so intense. It really smells of the basil. I kept taking sniffs of the stuff just so I would be ready for the first sip. And wow, what a first sip. Too much green for me. I can almost see this being a true exotic if the flavour of the basil was a little less intensive. The imperial stout base of the beer was definitely there and very nice. Good chew, good alcohol, and right where it needed to be.

I was glad I only got a sample. I don't think I could've downed a pint.

andymac360, Feb 21, 2010
3.68/5  rDev +4.8%

Served on cask at a special release at Churchkey in DC, 10 ounce pour into a snifter. Beer is dark black and forms a thick brown head of small bubbles that falls away leaving lacing on the glass. It was a really nice looking head for a cask ale but I did get one of the first glasses. According to Sam they used a lager yeast for this beer, that's interesting. Only 5 bbl were ever produced of this beer.

Beer smells like basil, and lots of it. There is some hop aroma but its all mixed up in the basil. I also detect a little roast. Not sure why they used a lager yeast, I detect no acyl or sweet character in the smell.

Beer tastes like a stout with basil in it. I'm not sure what the edamame are adding to this beer, there isn't any tartness that I would expect from the blackberries. Tastes a lot like chicory stout with basil. Drinkability is moderate, full bodied mouthfeel is good.

drabmuh, Nov 24, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +3.4%

a: nearly black in color, capped with a thin layer of carbonation, light lace

s: soy sauce - edamame influence? - over a dry roast body, only a nuance of basil, the blackberries, if that's what I'm smelling, add only a tart underripe fruity aroma rather than the sweet, juicy aroma one might expect, the use of lager yeast leaves this without much of an ester profile, interesting stuff

m: medium bodied with a moderate, delicate carbonation

t: starts with dry roast and soy sauce, fully fermented and free of any sweetness, then moving into a full tartness with accompanying roast, the basil escapes me for the most part, and the blackberry influence is unusual - dried and sour

d: reasonably drinkable, not a trace of alcohol evident

10 oz. pour at ChurchKey, DC

blackie, Nov 22, 2009
3.15/5  rDev -10.3%

I am trying not to be biased or search for flavors after having seen the short film clip of this on their web site. I listed it as a RIS though it uses lager yeast and beans along the lines of a Baltic Porter, as noted in the same clip.

Somewhat muddy looking. Jet black with a dark tan head. Aroma is somewhat earthy. Flavor is ok. Lacks the seriously deep roasted notes of a RIS. Slight lactic twang to it. Mildly earthy and somewhat nutty. Mild flavor resembling green peas. Moderate hop flavor. Has an overall fruitiness that is quite prominant. Body is full enough for the style. An ok beer overall. Just doesnt have the "umph" I was expecting. I tried 3 pints-drinkable enough but just doesnt work for me.

lackenhauser, Nov 14, 2009
Black Thai from Dogfish Head Brewery
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.