Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Dogfish Head Brewery

Miles Davis' Bitches BrewMiles Davis' Bitches Brew

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 06-13-2010

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

Reviews: 879 | Hads: 3,484
4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle from 8/14 poured into a tulip glass. Pours dark, dark brown with rich mocha head. Inviting look with some nice lacing. Smell is smoke, chocolate, malt, honey, touch of coffee and wood. Taste opens with smoke, char, coffee, and chocolate, but goes to malt, honey and a slightly bitter finish, which I assume is that gesho doin' its thing. The end is nice, because it doesn't feel overly sweet. Mouth is medium to heavy, a bit lighter than I anticipated, but certainly not thin. Probably easier to drink than it should be.

I think a year in the cellar did this right, as I had a more "fresh" bottle and want to say that I like this better (or is that me justifying my cellar?). Anyways, I'd grab another to stash away for a bit.

4.48/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What an outstanding beer. We served it in a 16oz snifter. It poured a nice thick densely black with a thick head. The beer was smooth to the taste with hints of cappachino and a lingering finish.

3.64/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2014, aged almost exactly one year. Could not get over the one dimensional smokey flavor. Maybe gesho root is smokey, but I was looking for honey, chocolate, roast, and other expected imperial stout flavors. Mouthfeel was thinner. I have a 2013 in the cellar and hopefully will be able to try it fresh sometime to see if the experience repeats itself.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Highly recommended for its flavor, effervescence and finesse.

Opened a 3 year old bottle, had never gotten around to try it. I inhale 15% ABV barrel aged beers far to easily. Yet, this grizzled palate immediately took notice at the first sip

This cracked with a pop and hit the palate with a background of persistent fizz, cocoa , char lightly , honey and delicious complexity . Best gesho beer I've ever had (ha! Only gesho beer). The mouthfeel equals beers of much higher ABV without the cloying sweetness

This is really very good. I'm sure it was helped by 3 years in my uber secret, climate controlled, subsurface vault. This was opened only after shuttering all the windows and dismissing the hired staff.

4.29/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Final NBS BIF#1 beer. A final thanks to larryi86. It was all enjoyed and appreciated.
Bottled 9/2013. Mmmmm nicely aged.
This is a nice stout without excess. Good looking black with brown head.
Nice rich malt, again without excess.
The malts in the aroma and taste are both strong toast to mild roast, Hints of fruit. Again, a strong beer without excess. Rich, but too much. Dry, but too much, Sweet, but not too much. Fruity, but not to much. The hopping is subdued (but not too much ;0)
Alcohol is well hidden and slow to show forth.
More than moderate in feel and lower carbonation smooths it out nicely.
This is working out well.

4.16/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured black as night. Thick brown head settling to a thin layer. Strong roasted malts. Little to no noticeable hop flavor. Bitterness at the end due to gesho root. Surprisingly thin for a stout.

I would drink it again. I would recommend it to friends and family

3.76/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

August 2013 bottle poured. I Think I may have sat on this and possibly not stored it in the best conditions. OR I just really didn't enjoy this as much as I was anticipating. A touch of "smokiness" though I think I've come to learn, as mentioned above, it's a flavor that comes with poor aging. Will try again down the road with a fresher bottle.

(Also, listening to the album didn't seem to help, though it was a fun night around a fire!)

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A strong and full bodied stout. Pours a thick and vinous black. Aroma of coffee, roasted malts and wood. Taste is consistent with the aroma along with bittering hops in the finish. A solid offering from dfh!

3.86/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Black in color and impenetrable to light. There's a fingernail of dark brown head on top. I smell the honey, and sweet, dark malt. The flavor is a blend of sweet dark malt and bitter gesho that are cut by the sweet honey. The mouth is thick and creamy.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Another "oh yeah" beer from Dogfish Head. Instead of complex, this beer is downright brilliant. I love Imperial Stout, but the addition of a honey element is brilliant. Again, one of the very best beers I've ever tasted.

4.04/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Pours a motor oil black with a one-finger dark brown head. The head fades very fast. Very minimal lacing.

S - Aromas of roasted malts and dark chocolate.

T - The flavor is strong roasted malts, dark chocolate, and some light espresso. The honey adds a nice sweetness to the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a dry sticky finish.

O - This is a nice take on an Imperial Stout. The honey adds some nice depth to the flavor. Very enjoyable.

4.86/5  rDev +17.7%

Holy shit. So dark. So robust. So… imperial. That big roasty stout flavor with those hints of honey; flirts with hop bitterness at the end like a finishing punch.

LOOK: So brown it's black. Totally opaque. Delicate brown head that settles quickly down into a thin ring around the glass.

SMELL: Low-key aroma that hints at the honey and roasted malt flavors ahead.

TASTE: Highly assertive. Big roast malt flavor like you'd expect from a stout, but then that sweetness from the honey. (Such a nice change from lactose or chocolate. Also: I don't know what flavor gesho is supposed to contribute but…)

FEEL: Thick, full, oily. Really coats the mouth and sticks around. And despite the serving temperature… warming.

P.S. After reading about gesho, I'm guessing that's the buttering agent here instead of hops. That must be the "finishing punch" I got.

4.21/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very unique "imperial" stout. Has a nice mead like finish. Very dark pour and head... Very smooth and sweet , thin body for how black it is. I like this a lot. I wonder if they ever barrel aged this?

2.75/5  rDev -33.4%

I'm not a fan of honey but I wanted to try this beer based off it's great reviews, but I was not able to really enjoy this beer. I'm also not a fan of stouts, so that was probably why I did not enjoy this one.

4.85/5  rDev +17.4%

22oz. bottle, split between two snifters.

L- Poured a thick, dark brown, very light head.

S- Very inviting aroma of chocolate, honey, and malt.

T- Very characteristic of an Imperial Stout - chocolatey, roasty, with a subdued but very welcome hop flavor. Lots of subtle and complex notes, with the honey pleasantly fading in on the back for a fantastic finish.

F- Just what you'd expect from an Imperial Stout - full-bodied and lingering on the palate, but certainly not syrupy.

As Bitches Brew is perhaps my favorite album of all time, I had to really press to set aside any pretensions regarding this drink, but the complexity and balance simply can't be ignored. Just as big, wandering, and wild as the album for which it was brewed.

4.8/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle. I really liked this stout. Poured dark brown and looked great. Smelled subtly wonderful and inviting. Packed lots of flavor; nice blend of coffee, chocolate and malts. Started it a little cold which caused a slight bitter finish, but it warmed up nice and smooth. I recommend this beer and look forward to another some day.

3.29/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark brown with khaki colored head. Roasted malt and dark chocolate notes on the nose; follows onto the palate. Finishes with sweetness. Not bad.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bomber into a snifter. Pours pitch black with a brown head. Smells of fruit, raisins, and coffee. Tastes of chocolate, coffee, and slight fruitiness. Beer is carbonated just perfectly with full body. Overall a very, very good beer.

4.34/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

this is sensational and something totally different. i cannot believe some of the negative write ups of this beer on here, totally unwarranted in my opinion, which is only as good as the next guys, but i honestly think this is pretty special beer. a nice gift from my girlfriend, who no longer really buys me beer, so i was feeling special myself when she did that for me. this is so sexy in appearance. inky shiny dark brown, plenty of viscosity, and a pillow soft mocha head with nice lace and stickiness as it slowly fades. aromas of tobacco and licorice along with the dark roasted malt. not too sure about gesho root, i have zero experience at all with it, but the beer does appear hoppy on the nose, so it could be contributing the bitterness and slight vegetal aromatic. the flavor is all about that honey with the dark malt richness. notes of jet puff marshmallow, espresso, and chicory are all here, earthy but really sweet too, molasses or some other raw sugar. it doesnt really come across like other stouts to me, there is more going on here, wonderful depth and complexity and nuance. a mild spice in the finish, could be the gesho but i just dont know it well enough to venture there. slight apple wine and marker finish, booze shows through a touch, but the more i sip the more i love this. a unique and wintery glass of ale, made all the better by sharing it with someone who i deeply admire. also, props for the miles davis tribute, his contribution to culture in this country is second to none.

3.19/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a pitch black with thin tan head a nice lacing. Smell is coffee and molasses. I get more honey in the taste. The mouth feel is medium bodied. Overall I'm getting a lot of sweet molasses in this one, and that's not my favorite flavor. This is a fine beer, just not what I am looking for. Don't think I will be seeking this one out again.

1.93/5  rDev -53.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

This beer is NOT worth the money in my opinion. There was absolutely nothing special about this beer, it drank more like a strong porter or a weak stout. Apart from a cool special edition label to add to your collection / graveyard, this brew is a total waste of money.

4.73/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Review of Sept 2010 release. Consumed 4 years later Sept 2014.

A: thick light brown head, light brown as it pours into the glass. More carbonation than expected after 4 years of cellaring.
S: Pleasant aroma of sour fruit, tart cherries, dark chocolate.
T: Starts with tart fruit & cherries, middle taste of smooth creamy dark chocolate, nice clean dry finish.
M: Medium to high carbonation, medium body.
O: Lighter body than expected for a dark ale. I was expecting a thick dark stout not a medium body fruity sour and I was pleasantly surprised. A very tasty and extremely smooth sour ale that grows on you as it warms up. An amazing beer and its possible its not at its peak. I'll cellar the next one 5 years (unfortunately the only one I have left is a 2014 so I've a ways to wait).

4.11/5  rDev -0.5%

Huge head, dark tan, with fantastic retention, and leaving tons of lacing behind. Beautiful black brew.

Sweet, roasty stout aroma with nice notes of molasses and liquorice. A bit of banana; just a bare hint of booze.

Flavor follows, with quite a bit of spice up front, nice roasty notes, molasses, a little slightly overripe dark fruit, and just a bit of dark chocolate lending to a bitter finish.

Fairly thick, extremely smooth feel. No real hint of alcohol; minor sting; silky smooth.

An excellent imperial stout. Just different enough to stand out, but not so different to taste odd or bad. Not quite incredible, but quite good.

3.82/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

750mL bottle into a snifter
no bottling dates but purchased within the last couple of months so presumably vintage 2014

A: Jet black, just over 1 fingers width of dense dark mocha colored head, which has decent retention before dissipating down. Leaves only a few very small patches of lacing. 4.25

S: Quite unique, theres an astringent characters thats almost tart and some herbaceous characters. These odditiess are coupled with traditional stout flavors including roasted malt, smokey char, and leather. Subtle sweetness, but no real indication that its brewed with honey. 4

T: Heavy roasted malt, cream, char, oaky herbaceous. Theres a sweetness to it, but I wouldn’t have guessed it was made with honey if I wouldn’t have read that on the label. The astringency from the nose persists in the taste, but to a lesser degree and certainly no tartness. Ok palate profile, but I’m a bit disappointed. 3.75

M/D: Lighter side of full bodied, could def stand to be thicker. Carbonation is on the higher end which adds to a lighter mouthfeel. ABV unnoticeable. Drinkability is average. 3.5

O: Its good, but nothing special. Didn’t really get any honey characters like I was hoping for. Worth checking out, but not something I would seek out. 3.75

3.16/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

There was an off flavor like burnt (not roasted) malt along with a strong vinegar flavor that threw me off a bit here, as well as a pretty watery mouthfeel that I was not expecting.

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head Brewery