Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Dogfish Head Brewery

Miles Davis' Bitches BrewMiles Davis' Bitches Brew

pDev: 9%
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 06-13-2010

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

Reviews: 878 | Hads: 3,478
1.93/5  rDev -53%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

This beer is NOT worth the money in my opinion. There was absolutely nothing special about this beer, it drank more like a strong porter or a weak stout. Apart from a cool special edition label to add to your collection / graveyard, this brew is a total waste of money. (269 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -40.1%

Batch one generously shaed by Bendurgin. Poured into a tulip. The head is tan and leaves some nice sticky lacing. The body is black.

The aroma is sweet, with leather and char smells.

The taste is bitter char with a long tannIc malty finish. This is a bit of a letdown.

The body is full and the carbonation average.

I'm not keen on this considering the myriad other options out there. (387 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -35.8%

Stouts are not my type of beer. But I figured I'm brewing beer I should be open to trying different styles. I was really lucky to find a 750ml bottle from the second batch that was released along with Dogfish Head's TV series Brew Masters.

It poured dark brown almost black with a tiny creamy white head that disapated quickly but did leave a lacing as I drank it. It to me had a smokey quality that I have to like in a beer. Again, this it not my first preference in style. Would I try it again? ABsolutely as I am refining and defining my beer tastes.. (556 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle split with the classic and steepH20 on the continuation of lazy dog danglin afternoon.

Pours dark brown with red highlights while a few smatterings of bubbles along the surface.

Smells very sweet and the honey is evident, though I'm not sure if it's the power of suggestion. Some smokey char battles the sweetness, but cannot overcome the near cloying base.

Too sweet and thin. Honey sweetness and perhaps the Gesho root don't allow the best qualities of a stout to shine. Hops don't seem to register and the body doesn't provide the necessary structure. Some acrid coffee and smoke on the back end provide the evidence of what this beer may have been trying to be.

Overall, this just do it for me. Thankful I split this bottle. (739 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%

I'm not a fan of honey but I wanted to try this beer based off it's great reviews, but I was not able to really enjoy this beer. I'm also not a fan of stouts, so that was probably why I did not enjoy this one. (210 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured into a tulip. This one is from the first batch. This one pours oily looking black with about an inch of creamy light tan head. Good retention here, this one keeps a solid cap throughout with sticky lace.

Light aromas of milk chocolate come through right away with an acidic coffee aroma. A little bit of a smokey character to this with big roasted barely aromas. Certainly earthy flavors here, lots of char and smoke. Roasty flavors with a bit of fresh roasted coffee and a little bit of cocoa. A little bit of sweetness, pressumably from the honey, rounds out the flavor. I'd love a little bit more of a roasty flavor here. I think this is alittle bit too acidic.

Medium to light feel on this one, decent carbonation. Overall, with everything Dogfish Head put into this beer I'd love to see a little more complexity. (827 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured from a bomber to a sam adams cup

A- black, 1 1/2" muddy brown head

S- copper, dark fruit, leather, roasted malts, smokey, booze

T- dark fruit, black licorice, bitter dark chocolate, copper

M- silky, low carbonation

O- not too much to say. It's super boozy and tastes more of dark fruit then dark chocolate. I have sniffed and sipped over and over, from fridge to room temp, trying hard to find something good about this beer... Then poured it down the drain. (470 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -29.4%

The best part is the label, already accomplished when the record was released.

Poured heavy and thick with a lovely light brown head. The malts come through in good viciousness but the taste is overpowered by the sweet honey which is cloying at the least. Hops are unmemorable and mild - another kitschy and high abv product from dogfish. (339 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -28.5%

750ml 2011 vintage into a snifter

A- Pitch black w/ mocha colored head and large bubbles along the edge of glass.

S- Not getting much in the nose at all. Some roasted malts, coffee and molasses. May be I'm getting sick or somethings wrong with this bottle. Not impressed with the smell at all.

T- Getting roasted malts and quite a bit of bitterness up front. Coffee and then what I'm assumming is the gesho root with some more biterness. Flavor complexity is not there for me either.

M- pretty carbonated for an Imperial stout but still has a decent mouthfeel.

O- Not really sure if i got a bad bottle or starting to get a cold but this one didnt impress me. I have another bottle cellaring and will give this another go in a few weeks. Hopefully then I can see what all these great reviews are all about. (811 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -26%

Bottle poured into Duvel tulip.

A- Pours a good looking deep brown with a little light let in around the edges. A big 1.5 fingered mocha colored head leaves some good lacing on the side of the glass all the way down.

S- Roasted malts, seems to me like some wheat and honey. There is a little bit of graininess to go along with some black licorice.

T- The roasted malts are a little more mellow and the bready, grainy taste is a little more prevalent. There is a touch of honey to round out the taste.

M- Medium bodied and feels a bit thin for the style. Good carbonation and just a tad dry on the finish.

D- An interesting beer but nothing really stand out about it. I didn't buy the beer for the hype, heck I didn't buy this beer at all, the lady did, but it was alright at best. (786 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from Bomber into Snifter.

A: Pours black, with minimal head. Can't see through it, minimal carbonation and moderate lacing on the glass.

S: Get a strong chocolate and honey scent. Sweetness on the nose with some roasted malt.

T: Getting the sweet honey flavor, with some roastyness to help balance it. Still pretty sweet for me. Strong chocolate finish.

M: Pretty thin for an imperial stout. Flat on the palate.

O: Worth a shot, its decent but not worth the $13 price tag I paid. I tend to like thicker stouts, but solid in its own right. (555 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -25.1%

750mL, bottled 2011.

Thick and black, with a dense mocha head. Decent retention and lacing.

Interesting nose, medicinal and herbal in a way, with lots of roast. Smells somewhat oxidized.

Flavor definitely screams stout, but I don't find it to be terribly complex. There are interesting notes of spices and herbs, perhaps licorice and ginger. Sweetness comes from the honey beer element, not so much from straight malt. Roasty and chocolatey, with a surprisingly dry finish. It's fine, but I don't think it fits together that well. And to top it off, the mouthfeel is thin (for an Imperial) and the carbonation is flaccid.

Not really impressed here. Seems thin and weak in the flavor department for an Imperial Stout. Drinkable, but not great. (747 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -24.6%

According to the stamp, bottled in 2010, but that goes without saying since it was only made once. Really wanted to drink this while watching an episode of Brewmasters, but I guess I cellared this beyond the show's shelf life.

After a hard pour from the big bottle, it looks obviously like a stout - jet black - and the color of the head is a dark tan. At first glance it looks like a Guinness, but the head doesn't have the same staying power. It doesn't stick around like a Guinness draft, just a soapy trail on the glass.

Aroma is overwhelmingly chocolately, and it reminds me a lot of Rogue Chocolate Stout. Taste is similar except there's a little funky fruitiiness added. Maybe that's the gesho; I can't say that's a flavor that I can readily identify. It's certainly a different take, and on the plus side I can say that the ABV is hidden, but I'm not crazy about the taste. It wears me out pretty quickly. (915 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -24.1%

A: "Motor oil", aggressive pour revealing a half finger khaki head. Not much activity, just globby black stuff.

S: Syrupy milk chocolate. Sweet, but no sign of honey. Some roasted coffee beans.

T: Bitter coffee, roasted malts, suggestion of chocolate. The honey and the uh, gesho root, are totally lost on me here. I think something was lost in translation with beer, I guess I'm not sure what I was expecting, just something a little different. A decent stout as it stands, though.

M/D: Carbonation was right on, body was a little thin. Drinkability is average. (567 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -24.1%

750ml bottle drank into a tulip...Black and oily pour with only a little medium tan head. Poor retention and lacing. Not appealing...Aroma is light, mostly malty, lots of molasses, honey, a little spice and coffee on the back. Decent, not getting me too excited...A so-so taste that is pretty hot, especially on the feel a warm harsh burn. Taste is alcohol, bitter dark chocolate. Not appetizing in taste or feel...This is a tough one to drink.

Not understanding all the hype here, another dfh let down, at least its only gimmicky in name and not as much in ingredients. (571 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -23.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

There was an off flavor like burnt (not roasted) malt along with a strong vinegar flavor that threw me off a bit here, as well as a pretty watery mouthfeel that I was not expecting. (181 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Pours solid black with 1 finger of fluffy, brown head.

S: Roasted malts, chocolate syrup and a bit of booze, although seems subdued for an imperial stout.

T: Similar to the nose, lost of roasted flavors, chocolate syrup, a bit of molasses on the back end. This is brewed with gesho, but I'm not sure if I can taste it, then again, I'm not sure what I'm looking for either.

M: Seems thin for the style, but this is most likely due to the use of honey.

D: It's an Imperial Stout, a bomber is plenty. I'll probably be sipping on this over the course of the next few hours. (580 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Free pour yields a one inch tan head that dissipates steadily leaving a tight lacing ring. Looks viscous and engine-oil-thick leaving the bottle, though ultimately it's translucent brown around the edges (black everywhere else). Leaves small islands of lacing and a walls of legs.

Smell: Coffee, roasted malt. Smells like many other stouts and porters I've had. It's a little smoky. Some booziness if you sniff hard enough.

Taste: First sip: coffee and chocolate up front, light and well balanced. Transitions to a nice honey note, then a weird cooked veggie taste (DMS?) that puts me off. The chocolate and coffee flavors are interesting, and more delicate than you'd expect. The honey in the middle stays thick and is sort of weird, but actually works pretty well. There's a nice bitterness in the end as well. Veggie aftertaste is bad.

Like a lot of jazz, the overall flavor of this beer is kind of "challenging," but unlike good jazz, it's neither complex nor particularly palatable behind the confusion. It seems to be like the worst kind of fusion music; a standard, boring pop song underneath some unhelpful, superfluous and distracting affectation. If that's too pompous for you, another way to phrase it would be: this doesn't taste that great. Some beers are hard to get into, but reward your attention. This is an unremarkable stout with a weird mouthfeel and an odd aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. A bit slick and watery. The bitterness helps a little.

Drinkability: Tastes like a simple porter with honey and some random off flavors. Its high ABV guarantees that I'll get buzzed and be able to finish the bottle, but I won't rush out to buy another. Speaking of high ABV, while it's relatively well hidden, I generally like to get a lot of flavor out of a beer if it's so alcoholic that I'm going to be one-and-done for the night. This one falls way short on that front.

Bitches Brew is a good idea on many levels, but ultimately the beer is pretty unimpressive. (2,035 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a pitch black with thin tan head a nice lacing. Smell is coffee and molasses. I get more honey in the taste. The mouth feel is medium bodied. Overall I'm getting a lot of sweet molasses in this one, and that's not my favorite flavor. This is a fine beer, just not what I am looking for. Don't think I will be seeking this one out again. (342 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

A: The pour is nearly black with a huge tan colored head that eventually settles down to a thin layer.

S: The nose is quite roasty with lots of sweet caramel, honey, and chocolate notes. A bit of a rubber aroma too, which is not too pleasing.

T: A very, very sweet flavor with tons of caramel and chocolate. There is a some mild roast, but definitely overwhelmed by the sweetness. Somewhat alcoholic with a solvent flavor that is all too "popular" in DFH beers.

M: The body is medium, nothing special, with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: Pretty underwhelming, I must say, and nowhere near as great as the Miles Davis album for which this was named. (657 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours solid black, allowing zero light to come through the edging. There is over an inch of mocha colored head that sits for a while and leaves webby lacing behind.

The nose is unique and unusual of course - DFH's calling card. There is some sweet honey and a strange medicinal scent. A bit of licorice. Where's the roast?

The flavor is similar but holds more stout-like characteristics than the nose suggests. There is some of the same notes noticed in the nose which must be the gesho or whatever the hell it is. It is unusual and strange as always. I get a strange Robutussin flavor within that is anything but appealing. Damn it Dogfish Head! Can't you just release a brew that has some traditional (non-werird-as-fuck) flavors to it!!

The mouthfeel is nice a creamy with a medium body and a suiting amount of carbonation. Possibly the best characteristic of the brew.

Overall, this is NOT your average stout and has some unusual and unpleasant flavors that I do not enjoy so much, not because of their unfamiliarity, but rather how they were placed within a category which should be made traditionally. Where's the roast? (1,132 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -20.7%

750ml bottle poured into my snifter

Opaque black with a two inch mocha colored head. Good head retention with decent amount of lacing sticking to the sides of my glass.

Good dose of dark chocolate, cinnamon, honey, roasted malts and an herbal tea like aroma. Lavender type smell with some black licorice.

Taste is a bit subdued and one dimensional. Upfront taste of roasted malts with a touch of chocolate and finishing off is a bit of bitterness. Honey is a bit noticeable at the beginning.

Full bodied with average carbonation. Bitter aftertaste

Flavor wise, I was expecting a little more and it was a decent stout but nothing impressing. (645 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

750ml bottle - $13.99 at Bullock's Wine & Spirits in Marietta, Georgia.

Bottled on: 09/16/2013.

Appearance: Pours a charcoal black body with a firm, creamyish, dark tan-hued head. Near nil lacing.

Smell: Ground up roast, predominately, with supporting notes of aromatic anise, a middling fruitiness, and unsweetened cocoa, tied up with a ribbon of alcohol.

Taste: Deep roast maltiness interplayed with a trace of warm alcohol. Faint, ineffusive baker's chocolate. Light honey taste. Anise. Understated, subtle fruitiness. Roasty, spicy, with an encroaching warming alcohol presence until the drying, smooth finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium, fluffed carbonation.

Overall: It was fine, that was about it. (719 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -20.2%

Gorgeous jet black color with a very nice, tight looking tan head on top. Roasted and somewhat sweetish aroma. Very honey like. Ok roasted flavors dominate but the sweetness becomes a bit much. I understand the blend of flavors they might be looking for but it doesnt really work for me. Somewhat of a licorice flavor in the backround. No hint of alcohol. Nice, solid and full mouthfeel. Overall an ok beer for me. I have had this several times on draft and wanted a bottle to really form an opinion. Just doesnt fall into place as a great beer. Love the concept-just not the beer. (581 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -20.2%

Served from the tap into a 4 ounce taster.

Appears a super dark brown... Maybe even black.

Smells smokey and a bit on the boozey side.

Tastes of smokey bacon with a touch of sour mingled in.

Mouhthfeel is flat and a bit sour.

Overall not too impressed. I'm wondering if there's an effervescence issue with the beer I was served. (337 characters)

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head Brewery