Microbrew Invitational

Miles Davis' Bitches BrewMiles Davis' Bitches Brew

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

Added by TheFightfan1 on 06-13-2010

Reviews: 915 | Ratings: 3,677
4.16/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from 750mL bottle into two Belgian glasses (snifter wannabes).

Having not read any of the reviews here, I was completely surprised by what came out of this bottle. As a lover of dark brews, I cannot fathom a better looking beer- almost entirely opaque with an extremely enticing, thick, creamy-looking mocha head which clung to the glass with perfect rings of lacing.

But I think the appearance of this beer set my expectations too high. The aroma didn't really let me down, with some nice notes of coffee and maybe a bit of spice. But I didn't feel like the taste followed-through with what my eyes and nose caught. It was a very well-balanced mix of interesting flavors for sure, and I definitely appreciate the craftsmanship involved in that. But ultimately I was left wanting more coffee flavor and a smoother texture, rather than the drier, more carbonated bite I received.

If Epic's Big Bad Baptist had a baby with this, it would probably be a near-perfect beer for me.

Note: I spend a lot of time drinking barrel-aged stouts that are all over 10%. If that's not what you're accustomed-to, you might feel this beer is thicker and more flavorful than I do.

4.32/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A burst of coffee....smooth rich flavor blankets your mouth....awsome beer. Complex in flavor toffee chocolate coffee and a nice rich maltiness. Drink it while you can.

4.37/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle served repeatedly in a Porter Bar goblet.

I'm glad to have been able to get a bottle of this for my cellar, especially after attending a release party where the keg was kicked in 15 minutes ... just before I arrived.

The beer looks thick and near black in the pour. There's a small, fairly weak, brown head.

Aroma: complex and very enticing.

Flavor: excellent, if not quite up with the aroma. Nicely complex and lightly spicy, with cinnamon most prominent among the spice(s?). Improved with warming. Particularly fine aftertaste. Flavor seems to vary with each sip, and certainly changes with warming.

Feel: thick... very thick; smooth and slick. My tongue feels coated for a while after each sip. Well chosen, light carbonation.

O: truly excellent; well hidden ABV, at least with some aging.

4.4/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A masterpiece. Maybe the best looking beer I've ever drank. Delicious, dry, bold, sweet, intense, interesting. A true masterpiece that needs to be appreciated!

3.67/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

After having world wide stout just before this beer, was serious let down, not fault of this beer just no where near as tasty as the WW stout. Decent beer but there are much better regular stouts in this range.

Poured from a bomber into a sniffer. Great color. The taste was very complex and betwithching! Hints of chocolate, hints of coffee, hints of honey. An excellent off-centered beer.

4.86/5  rDev +17.7%

Look:
This brew is so think when poured out of a 750ml bottle that is made a loud Glug-Glug-Glug sound! Other than being extra thick, this beer had a nice 2-3 finger head that never seems to totally disappear as it leaves a nice foam ring and a thin layer strewn across the surface. Foam is a dark tan color and the beer is as black as you can possibly get.

Smell:
Very chocolatey, caramelly, and coffee overtones. Quickly, powerful scents of smoky wood and tobacco take over. There is also tart fruit flavors that swirl around with the sweet malt flavors. There is a decent alcohol burn. After the sweet and tart flavors fade, smoky hints reside and the finish is partially sweet, but somewhat dry.

Feel:
Very full bodied and the mouthfeel is thick and creamy. This one is quite oily and slippery.

Overall:
I loved this one and had to try it as I remember seeing the making of it on their Brew Masters episode. Very good and highly recommend. I will be getting another one of these soon. It is not often that I repeat-buy a specialty beer like this one, but will (as I do with Dogfish brews). Huge fan.

I am an off-centered person and I love their off-centered beers!

4.03/5  rDev -2.4%

I am not a bug Dogfish fan, but this is a very solid stout. The honey plays nicely with the roasty elements of the stout. I don't know what Gesho is supposed to taste like, so I don't know how well that flavor came through.

4.15/5  rDev +0.5%

9/30...aged this bad boy a few years. Pours dark black tan foam, settling out completely. Hearty robust coffee expresso nose. Subtle honey sweetness pokes through. Tart taste open, some honey notes and wrapped in a fog of chocolate coffee malt. Root vegetables. One of the most interesting beers and blends I have come across.

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

bought with the intention of cellaring...that was this morning.

Bitches Brew inspired by the 40th anniversary of Miles Davis's first Gold Record. I think having a little bit of an appreciation for this record helps appreciate Sams inspiration. Off beat, unexpected, and rhythmic from when the top pops to the last drip.

Dark pour with a latte like head, smells of chocolate, coffee, tastes of more chocolate, roasted maltiness, vanilla bean.

mouthfeel is quick to take over the pallet, and much like Miles, changes pace to finish with deep clean notes. 9% ABV definitely becomes overpowering but in a nice way. another homer by the Dogfish crew.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle from 8/14 poured into a tulip glass. Pours dark, dark brown with rich mocha head. Inviting look with some nice lacing. Smell is smoke, chocolate, malt, honey, touch of coffee and wood. Taste opens with smoke, char, coffee, and chocolate, but goes to malt, honey and a slightly bitter finish, which I assume is that gesho doin' its thing. The end is nice, because it doesn't feel overly sweet. Mouth is medium to heavy, a bit lighter than I anticipated, but certainly not thin. Probably easier to drink than it should be.

I think a year in the cellar did this right, as I had a more "fresh" bottle and want to say that I like this better (or is that me justifying my cellar?). Anyways, I'd grab another to stash away for a bit.

4.48/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What an outstanding beer. We served it in a 16oz snifter. It poured a nice thick densely black with a thick head. The beer was smooth to the taste with hints of cappachino and a lingering finish.

4.29/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2012 bottle stored in my dark basement. Put on some Miles and poured into a snifter. Surprisingly dark/black in color. Slight head. So nice and smooth. This certainly held up over the last few years. I'll hunt down some fresh bottles to try as well.
Updates:
3-3-16 - On tap at Jose Pistolas in Philadelphia during CBC week. Fresh keg with nice frothy tan head. Spectacular stout.

3.64/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2014, aged almost exactly one year. Could not get over the one dimensional smokey flavor. Maybe gesho root is smokey, but I was looking for honey, chocolate, roast, and other expected imperial stout flavors. Mouthfeel was thinner. I have a 2013 in the cellar and hopefully will be able to try it fresh sometime to see if the experience repeats itself.

4.5/5  rDev +9%

Highly recommended for its flavor, effervescence and finesse.

Opened a 3 year old bottle, had never gotten around to try it. I inhale 15% ABV barrel aged beers far to easily. Yet, this grizzled palate immediately took notice at the first sip

This cracked with a pop and hit the palate with a background of persistent fizz, cocoa , char lightly , honey and delicious complexity . Best gesho beer I've ever had (ha! Only gesho beer). The mouthfeel equals beers of much higher ABV without the cloying sweetness

This is really very good. I'm sure it was helped by 3 years in my uber secret, climate controlled, subsurface vault. This was opened only after shuttering all the windows and dismissing the hired staff.

4.29/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Final NBS BIF#1 beer. A final thanks to larryi86. It was all enjoyed and appreciated.
Bottled 9/2013. Mmmmm nicely aged.
This is a nice stout without excess. Good looking black with brown head.
Nice rich malt, again without excess.
The malts in the aroma and taste are both strong toast to mild roast, Hints of fruit. Again, a strong beer without excess. Rich, but too much. Dry, but too much, Sweet, but not too much. Fruity, but not to much. The hopping is subdued (but not too much ;0)
Alcohol is well hidden and slow to show forth.
More than moderate in feel and lower carbonation smooths it out nicely.
This is working out well.

4.16/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured black as night. Thick brown head settling to a thin layer. Strong roasted malts. Little to no noticeable hop flavor. Bitterness at the end due to gesho root. Surprisingly thin for a stout.

I would drink it again. I would recommend it to friends and family

3.76/5  rDev -9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

August 2013 bottle poured. I Think I may have sat on this and possibly not stored it in the best conditions. OR I just really didn't enjoy this as much as I was anticipating. A touch of "smokiness" though I think I've come to learn, as mentioned above, it's a flavor that comes with poor aging. Will try again down the road with a fresher bottle.

(Also, listening to the album didn't seem to help, though it was a fun night around a fire!)

4.14/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A strong and full bodied stout. Pours a thick and vinous black. Aroma of coffee, roasted malts and wood. Taste is consistent with the aroma along with bittering hops in the finish. A solid offering from dfh!

3.86/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Black in color and impenetrable to light. There's a fingernail of dark brown head on top. I smell the honey, and sweet, dark malt. The flavor is a blend of sweet dark malt and bitter gesho that are cut by the sweet honey. The mouth is thick and creamy.

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Another "oh yeah" beer from Dogfish Head. Instead of complex, this beer is downright brilliant. I love Imperial Stout, but the addition of a honey element is brilliant. Again, one of the very best beers I've ever tasted.

4.04/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Pours a motor oil black with a one-finger dark brown head. The head fades very fast. Very minimal lacing.

S - Aromas of roasted malts and dark chocolate.

T - The flavor is strong roasted malts, dark chocolate, and some light espresso. The honey adds a nice sweetness to the finish.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel with a dry sticky finish.

O - This is a nice take on an Imperial Stout. The honey adds some nice depth to the flavor. Very enjoyable.

4.86/5  rDev +17.7%

Holy shit. So dark. So robust. So… imperial. That big roasty stout flavor with those hints of honey; flirts with hop bitterness at the end like a finishing punch.

LOOK: So brown it's black. Totally opaque. Delicate brown head that settles quickly down into a thin ring around the glass.

SMELL: Low-key aroma that hints at the honey and roasted malt flavors ahead.

TASTE: Highly assertive. Big roast malt flavor like you'd expect from a stout, but then that sweetness from the honey. (Such a nice change from lactose or chocolate. Also: I don't know what flavor gesho is supposed to contribute but…)

FEEL: Thick, full, oily. Really coats the mouth and sticks around. And despite the serving temperature… warming.

P.S. After reading about gesho, I'm guessing that's the buttering agent here instead of hops. That must be the "finishing punch" I got.

4.21/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very unique "imperial" stout. Has a nice mead like finish. Very dark pour and head... Very smooth and sweet , thin body for how black it is. I like this a lot. I wonder if they ever barrel aged this?

2.75/5  rDev -33.4%

I'm not a fan of honey but I wanted to try this beer based off it's great reviews, but I was not able to really enjoy this beer. I'm also not a fan of stouts, so that was probably why I did not enjoy this one.

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery