Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 06-13-2010

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 3,401 | Reviews: 884

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle (2011)

Liquor Stop
San Marcos, CA

Thick, black, shiny, and substantial appearance, with very minimal head but substantial lacing left down the glass. Thick, black, and gorgeous.

Rich, complex aroma of roasted malts, roasted coffee beans, a mild chocolate presence, and a bit of honey-like sweetness.

Rich flavor combining roasted malt, mild coffee, and some sweet chocolate and honey flavors. There's also a bit of alcohol presence. While there's nothing at all detracting from this beer's flavor, I don't think the sweet honey-like flavors play very well with the coffee ones. I've put honey in my coffee before, and it's an awful combination. This beer's flavor reminds me of that concoction. That being said, it's only a minor fault.

Medium to full bodied with low carbonation.

A very good RIS, but I think there's a bit too much sweetness to truly be great.

4.07/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

What the hell just happened? This beer is kinda stanky and my heavens, it's thick black. Even the head is darker than the liquid of most "dark" beers and the foam appears to grow downward instead of up.

I had my first 4-pack Old Rasputin excatly a year ago. It was borderline traumatizing and I didn't have another one until three days ago, which was now a seemingly mellow beer. I am experiencing again what happened a year ago.

Besides the unfamiliar stankiness, there's just a ton of everything that is burnt, bitter, and detestable in every lovely way. Really, I can't believe I am saying that it tastes very well balanced and is great to savor. Booze is pretty noticeable at first.

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a almost oil like black with an ever present one finger tan head on top of a strong, sturdy roasted malt aroma as well as some coffee and chocolate and a thick breadiness to it as well. On first sip I get a smooth, creamy yet thick dry coating over my tongue. The roasted/coffee malts are dominant at first but are mild and then balance w/ some chocolate and sweet malts (guess that's the honey) and there's a touch of "woodiness" in the beer that always it to remain smooth and not dry out my tastebuds/throat. Has this somewhat prickly, spicy and crisp finish that is decent and I swear I get a hint of vanilla and/or black cherry. A quality stout that I enjoyed sipping on.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Miles Davis' Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head Brewery