Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Dogfish Head Brewery

Miles Davis' Bitches BrewMiles Davis' Bitches Brew

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

(Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 06-13-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew Alström Bros

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

On draft at the Brick Store Pub on a fall afternoon

A - Completely black. Dark Chocolate. 2 finger of tan head, that sticks on top to the finish. Impressive appearance

S - Coffee beans and dark chocolate

T - Toasted dark malts and coffee beans. Sweet caramel undertone. Creamy and rich! A little bit boozy..

M - Full bodied and well carbonated

O - I am glad to get to try it, as I missed out last year. An excellent IS. Well done Dogfish Head

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing the Miles Davis Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery.
Score: 94

I was extremely excited to try this one. Dogfish Head stopped distributing to Wisconsin, and this is a beer that is only sold once a year and sold out within two hours of being put on the shelf at most stores. A hearty thank you to my Chicago friends for picking me up a couple of bottles!

2011 bottle (3rd batch) served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: Black as midnight and opaque. Pours two fingers of brown, bubbly head that takes a long time to settle. As you drink it, the beer leaves a nice brown lacing on the side of the glass. 5/5

Smell: Sweet honey and molasses with toasted malt aromas. Silky milk chocolate as well. Slightly minty, berry-like and subtle hop aromas. Creamy milk chocolate becomes more apparent as the beer warms. 4.5/5

Taste: Very sweet, silky and complex. There are some flavors I cannot put my finger on because they all work so well together and are more subtle than pronounced. Honey, silky chocolate and slightly piney hops are most apparent. The finish is smooth, roasted coffee. None of the flavors are individually too aggressive or strong, and they all mix with a good synergy that keeps the beer incredibly balanced. 9.0% ABV completely hidden. My only criticism of this beer is that I wish the finish would linger longer, though I hardly consider that much of a criticism at all. 4.5/5

Mouthfeel: Thick and viscous; about as full bodied as a stout gets. Minimal carbonation. I wonder if I could chew this beer. This one's a filling dessert. 4.5/5

Overall: I never thought I would ever find a Russian Imperial Stout that I enjoyed as much as Barrel Aged Old Rasputin, but this brew gives North Coast a run for its money! The alcohol in this beer is completely hidden behind a wall of berry-mint, honey and roasted malt sweetness. I was fortunate enough to get a couple of bottles of this, so I can't wait to revisit this one after some aging. This will be my reward for passing the bar exam.

Recommendation: This is one of the best beers that I have ever tasted. Miles Davis Bitches Brew is incredibly complex, flavorful, and balanced. I would absolutely recommend this beer to anyone who can get their hands on it.

Pairings: Dogfish Head recommends chili or curry, but I could see this going great with chocolate ganache/mousse or warm chocolate cake. I drank this while eating some milk chocolate, and that paired wonderfully. Graham crackers might make an interesting pairing as well. Then again, Bitches Brew could be enjoyed as a dessert in its own right. Should certainly be enjoyed with the eponymous album playing in the background!

Cost: $10.99 for a 750 ml wine bottle.

Poured from a 2010 bomber

A- pours a jet black, red tints along the edges, khaki head is very small but still remains floating on the surface

S- big nose of roasted malt, dark chocolates, roasted black coffee, sweet smells are mixed in im assuming as a result of the honey, there is another interesting sharp herbal smell that i assume is a result of the gesho

T- the taste is somewhat similar to the smell, bitter chocolate, dark roasted malts, there is a mid sweetness mixed in with a herbal hoppy flavor as a result of the gesho

M- full body with a pretty good amount of carbonation, slight alochol burn, oily on the palate

O- pretty solid RIS, wished I would have seen a little more out of the signature ingredients

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

3.73/5  rDev -11%

bitches brew

A: Pours a dark black with a thick creamy head that is about a finger wide. The head is caramel around the edges, and remains on top of the beer for an extended period of time. Looks black as night.

S: Dark roasted malts are the heaviest smell on the beer on the first smell. Has a chocolaty, almost a dark cocoa kind of smell laced in there. Has a hint of sweetness, but you need to sniff hard for it. Has a bit of an alcohol smell to it as well.

T: Dark toasted malts again are on the pallet here, not overwhelming, but right on the point there. I'm reminded of Ol Rasputin from the taste, but not nearly as dark. After several sips of the beer, it does have a little bit of sweetness, but i'm not picking out the honey that is indicated on the bottle. It isn't overly sweet, but it mellows out the darkness of the stout. This is a slow drinker in my opinion, but I wouldn't recommend trying a tasting around this beer (or this style). This will completely bomb out your taste buds.

M: Medium body, light carbonation, and a creamy head. It has the toasted malt after taste that will stay with you for a good bit.

O: I'll admit that this isn't my favorite style, but I appreciate these beers. Comparing this with some others, Ol Rasputin and Ten Fidy, I'd have to say its a little behind Ten Fidy, but not far at all. Perhaps if it aged a little bit more some of the other flavors would come out. I wouldn't stay away from it as its good, but I think there are better things out there.

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head Brewery