Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 06-13-2010

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew Alström Bros

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

A: Black as night with a very thin tan head. Pours thick, lloks great.
S: all kinds of coffee, chocolate, roasted malts and a bit of hops. I believe the sweetness I am getting is the honey, but its not too prominent. As for gesho, you got me.
T: tastes like one helluva RIS. Great coffee flavor, some dark chocolate bitterness, a tad of honey. Again, not sure what to look for in terms of the gesho. A nice, slighty boozy flavor accompanies the main flavor profile.
M: a bit watery for my liking and the only poor marks I can give this brew. Medium to full bodied, but real smooth and a pleasant aftertaste.
O: a delicious brew and one to savor. I took the entire bomber out myself wothout problems which surprised me at 9%. I will be getting this again.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured into a snifter. I had a few ounces of the first release and didn't really care for it, but not I have a full bottle to myself and a reasonably clean palate.

4.0 A: About as black as it can get. Three fingers of medium brown, creamy/frothy hybrid head. Retenetion is good with moderate amounts of semi-regular lacing.

4.0 S: Smells quite nice. Rich roastiness without any burntness and plenty of chocolate. Big sweetness featuring plenty of dark crystal malts and touches of toffee and molasses. The honey adds a pleasant complexity. I'd glad it wasn't overused since I don't like the way strong honey meshes with roasted flavors.

3.5 T: The taste isn't bad, but I like the nose more. Moderate roastiness. A bit too sweet and too bitter at the same time. Waves of caramel and to a lesser extent molasses are met by waves of boiled coffee-like burntness and astringency. The honey seems a bit out of place. I'm not sure what the hell gesho is, but I'm sure it's doing it's thing. Still, in the grand scheme of things, not too bad.

3.0 M: This is the part I remembered hating the first time I tried it. Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. The problem is that this feels watery from lack of creaminess. Damn you gesho, I blame you. Also, the residual sweetness causes some amylase ball formation in my mouth.

3.5 D: Respectable, but as far as DFH stouts go, I'd much rather spend my money on WWS and forget about it for several years.

3.73/5  rDev -11%

2011 batch 1 - 750ml bottle poured into a CBS snifter

A: Black as night. Gorgeous finger-and-a-half dark brown head that leaves a nice full cap throughout consumption.

S: Roasted barley, earthy tabacco and root beer. Faint root beer...thankfully not very strong.

T: A good dose of dark chocolate nicely balanced with the gesho root. Alcohol is pretty well hidden. Toffee/caramel quickly pops in to say hello. The finish has a somewhat acrid bitterness.

M: Carbonation is right where I like it for my stouts...very creamy. The beer finishes quite dry and astringent. The dryness combined with the ashy bitterness concerns me a bit in terms of overall drinkability.

O: I have been wanting to try this since I saw it on the first episode of Brewmasters. Overall I thought it was good and I’ll refill my glass again, but I don’t know if I’ll seek more of these bottles out. Maybe it's more enjoyable paired with the right food.

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours dark and rich with a great looking chocolate head. Opaque, but appears chocolate brown not black. Sticky lacing remains in gobs when the head recedes. This is a delicious looking beer.

Smell is chocolate, some cherries, roasted malts, some coffee.

Mouth is superb, creamy and thick. The kind of beer you find yourself swishing around in your mouth.

Taste is coffee, dark chocolate, roastiness. Some cherries and fruits are evident. A warm alcohol taste and some bitterness. Light caramel along for the ride. Think I taste some honey, but it might be just that I know its in there.

Thanks to DFH for doing a great job on this and successfully honoring a great album and legendary musician.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

Bomber bottle at around 6pm Saturday. 2011 Brew.

A - Super dark. Black. Even the head is a dark dark brown. This is right up there with the darkest looking beer/head combo I've seen. Looks like thick coffee. Lacing stays on the sides of glass forever. From above it looks like hot chocolate. Looking forward to trying this.

S - Some chocolate and maltiness. No alcohol. Nothing crazy special/intense. Pleasant.

T - Mouthfeel is amazing. Yum. Thick. Carbonation is heavy and awesome--I'm glad this is fresh! Chocolate is staying in my mouth forever... coating my mouth and I'm loving it. Aftertaste is great. The bitterness hits but goes away quickly and leaves a sweetness that is not overpowering.

O - This is not all that complex at all but what it does offer is fantastic. The balance is really really nice. I loved drinking this and look forward to the next time I get to try it!

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head Brewery