Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 06-13-2010

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew Alström Bros

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a black black no light getting through this one. Sports a big coca colored two finger head that falls slow and laces well. Nice looking stout.

Aroma is sweet and malty roasted malts good chocolate notes and honey sweetness. Some lighter coffee hints and a herbal dark fruit like notes. Overall smell is good but little subdued for a big stout.

Taste is spot on the nose smooth sweet honey lots of roasted malts big chocolate notes. Good coffee and anise with dark fruit hints all mingled on top of the sweet chocolaty malt base. Some nice alcohol notes that blend right in with the flavors.

Mouthfeel seems little light for a big stout the carbonation level doesn't help with lightness either.

Overall pretty good brew finally got to try it after that show made it a big seller. One Sam got right for the most part.

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

What a way to start out Thanksgiving! Been saving this one for the right occasion and that is now.
Pulled from the beer fridge yesterday and allowed to rise to pantry temperature - about 55 degrees. Served in a brandy snifter.
Aroma fills the glass. Smooth for a RIS. Must be the honey.
Mouthfeel is pleasantly sweet. Not at all too much so. Just a great experience.

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Batch 1 which had been purchased at Julio's. Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a deep, dark oily black with a nice two finger deep, dark chestnut brown head that fades to leave nice clouding and a good halo.

S - Nice roasted malts, dark chocolate, some light honey sweetness, and booze. There is a slight floral aspect as well.

T - Drinks like a damn good RIS. Good on the roast malts, chocolate, coffee, with some nice honey sweetness. There is more of that herbal/floralness that I assume is the gesho. Pretty damn tasty.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit too thin and watery for my liking. Nice higher carbonation though.

O - Overall this is a tasty beer by DFH, much better than the Pearl Jam one they did. Glad I have another bottle of batch 1 of this.

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

Well after being the first to review this on-tap I figured lets try the bottle.

Poured into a snifter. Pours an opague black with a lighter brown heading. Some lacing left behind.

Nose has a mixture of sweet honey,dirt,and choclate malts and a touch of roastiness in the finish.

Taste starts out with a big sweet smack of honey, a touch of hot alcohol flashes across the palate and matches with a gritty like chocolatiness.

Full bodied,great carbonation and decent balance leaning towards the watery side.

For me this is the second time I've had this and still the same results. A bit too sweet for my liking.

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

1 pt 9.4 fl oz

Note: I drank this while listening to the album, as it seemed like the right thing to do

A- Dark, pours jet black, with a two finger head that is also dark, the head sticks around for a while at about a half finger, then disappearing once you start drinking it. Back in the 70's, I am sure many people though that Miles was giving the full finger to the jazz establishment.

S - Roasted malt, honey, spices of some type, maybe some chicory.

T - Heavy is an understatement here. Smoke, honey, malt, dark fruit, coffee, alcohol (yep, it's there). I read up on gesho, but honestly couldn't tell you what part of the taste was coming from that, unless its causing the odd citrus overtones that occasionally hit the middle of the tongue.

M - The mouthfeel is interesting. It's thick, but not overly thick. There is some back end carbonation to balance out the initial creaminess. Later on, things get sticky.

O - Mixing brew and music just makes sense. Bold move by Dogfish to try to blend the two together (and getting the rights to do it), and I think they were successful. The music and the beer both are an interesting mix, heavy but loose, dark and sticky, with something always lurking and bubbling below the surface.

4.27/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Black as night with a very thin tan head. Pours thick, lloks great.
S: all kinds of coffee, chocolate, roasted malts and a bit of hops. I believe the sweetness I am getting is the honey, but its not too prominent. As for gesho, you got me.
T: tastes like one helluva RIS. Great coffee flavor, some dark chocolate bitterness, a tad of honey. Again, not sure what to look for in terms of the gesho. A nice, slighty boozy flavor accompanies the main flavor profile.
M: a bit watery for my liking and the only poor marks I can give this brew. Medium to full bodied, but real smooth and a pleasant aftertaste.
O: a delicious brew and one to savor. I took the entire bomber out myself wothout problems which surprised me at 9%. I will be getting this again.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

3.6/5  rDev -14.1%

Poured into a snifter. I had a few ounces of the first release and didn't really care for it, but not I have a full bottle to myself and a reasonably clean palate.

4.0 A: About as black as it can get. Three fingers of medium brown, creamy/frothy hybrid head. Retenetion is good with moderate amounts of semi-regular lacing.

4.0 S: Smells quite nice. Rich roastiness without any burntness and plenty of chocolate. Big sweetness featuring plenty of dark crystal malts and touches of toffee and molasses. The honey adds a pleasant complexity. I'd glad it wasn't overused since I don't like the way strong honey meshes with roasted flavors.

3.5 T: The taste isn't bad, but I like the nose more. Moderate roastiness. A bit too sweet and too bitter at the same time. Waves of caramel and to a lesser extent molasses are met by waves of boiled coffee-like burntness and astringency. The honey seems a bit out of place. I'm not sure what the hell gesho is, but I'm sure it's doing it's thing. Still, in the grand scheme of things, not too bad.

3.0 M: This is the part I remembered hating the first time I tried it. Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. The problem is that this feels watery from lack of creaminess. Damn you gesho, I blame you. Also, the residual sweetness causes some amylase ball formation in my mouth.

3.5 D: Respectable, but as far as DFH stouts go, I'd much rather spend my money on WWS and forget about it for several years.

3.76/5  rDev -10.3%

2011 batch 1 - 750ml bottle poured into a CBS snifter

A: Black as night. Gorgeous finger-and-a-half dark brown head that leaves a nice full cap throughout consumption.

S: Roasted barley, earthy tabacco and root beer. Faint root beer...thankfully not very strong.

T: A good dose of dark chocolate nicely balanced with the gesho root. Alcohol is pretty well hidden. Toffee/caramel quickly pops in to say hello. The finish has a somewhat acrid bitterness.

M: Carbonation is right where I like it for my stouts...very creamy. The beer finishes quite dry and astringent. The dryness combined with the ashy bitterness concerns me a bit in terms of overall drinkability.

O: I have been wanting to try this since I saw it on the first episode of Brewmasters. Overall I thought it was good and I’ll refill my glass again, but I don’t know if I’ll seek more of these bottles out. Maybe it's more enjoyable paired with the right food.

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head Brewery