Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Dogfish Head Brewery

Miles Davis' Bitches BrewMiles Davis' Bitches Brew

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

(Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 06-13-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew Alström Bros

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

@ Busy Bee

Black with a small head that drops to a thin covering. Webby lace. French roast coffee, dark chocolate, caramel, and nuts in the nose. Dark, bitter chocolate, some earthiness, berries, and charred wood. Faint licorice. Not as sweet as expected. Medium-plus body, drying, and a bit tart. Pretty good overall.

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a tulip, this is from the 3rd batch in fall of 2011.

A: Almost completely opaque, only the slightest amount of light pushes through. Thick caramel colored head.

S: Very sweet with honey and fruity aromas. Neither me nor 8 other people smelled anything hinting at chocolate or coffee. We all loved the smell though.

T: Not indicative of the smell for us. Very roasty with a chocolate overtone and a sweeter slightly fruity and honey undertone. Left a very long aftertaste of alcohol and roast on the palate.

M: Very thick, almost chocolate syrup like with almost no carbonation. Left a slightly slimey coating on the tongue.

O: This was an okay beer, but it could never live up to the hype. I would buy it again, but only to age and see what happened.

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

A: Pours an opaque black (tested with pocket flashlight) with one finger of deep tan head (in a 14-oz snifter). The head quickly fades to virtually nothing and leaves no lacing.

S: Chocolate malt, cocoa, and light roast coffee.

T: Imagine a cannoli made of a thin layer of extra-dark (80% cocoa) chocolate, filled with a velvety-smooth chocolate mousse, and served on a plate drizzled with prune-raisin puree. Now, imagine that as a beer, and that's what you have here.

M: Smooth and rich, but without any hint of ethanol.

O: My reaction to DFH beers is that they are either a complete home-run, or they miss by a mile (120 Minute, I'm looking at you). Fortunately for me, this one was a base-clearing home run. I would love to have been able to try this side-by-side with Brooklyn Chocolate Stout, because I do find similarities. Well done Sam!

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

750 ml bottle from the late 2011 batch. Shared with my girlfriend and served into two snifters glasses.

A: Pours with a motor oil look and consistency. Deep black body with a deep tan colored fluffy, bubbly head. The retention was really nice leaving a full cap and some initial sticky lacing. As it dissipated and worked towards the bottom, the bubbles were tight and small, falling right off the glass.

S: Dry bakers dark chocolate, roasted coffee beans, chocolate and caramel malts. Touches of sweet honey and a floral note come out, but this is definitely all about the dark rich profile.

T: Coffee beans immediately coat the palate, along with bitter dark chocolate and a touch of booze. The back end has some very faint sweet notes, perhaps honey but it's not entirely discernible. Finishes with dry cocoa powder and leaves a fresh brewed bitter coffee flavor in the linger.

M: Bubbly, perhaps a bit too much carbonation for the style. The body could use a thicker feel but aside from that it's fairly nice. Room for improvement in this area.

I've had the first installment of Bitches Brew, though I can't recall specifics. In fact, I still have a bottle from then and will compare that soon to a fresh one. Overall, this is a really nice beer but to add that additional layer of dimension and complexity; I wish the gesho root and honey would come out a lot more in the aroma and flavor.

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

This is the (second?) batch that was released in Nov. 2011. Served cool, not cold, which somewhere I read to do by DFH.

Great looking beer. Pours jet black with a thick toffee colored head and good lacing. Smell is molasses, dark malt, chocolate and alcohol. I expected some honey on the nose based on the writeup on the side of the bottle but didn't pick it up.

Taste is two phases for me: toasted dark malts and chocolate first, with maybe a hint of honey followed by a dry, bitter finish. The second phase is interesting because it's both the hops and the gesho root, which--I'm speculating here because I've never actually tasted it outside this beer--has a very bitter, earthy and almost licorice-like flavor.

Mouthfeel is pretty good too. Smooth, light carbonation but a tad thin. Still, very drinkable and not much trace of the 9%.

Overall, a solid beer. Interesting take on a RIS. I'd like to try this after it's aged for a while to see how the flavors blend and mellow.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours oily jet black with a foamy brown head. Great retention of the ring of foam, and it sloshes foamy lace up on every sip.

Dark roasted malt nose, alcohol, molasses, and a woody note.

Charred malt has a rich sweetness initially, which is replaced by a dried and bitter note. A little tart (again bounced by the bitter) in the end. Long bitter coffee/charred finish with a hint of vanilla. Well made, rich, and drinakable. Alcohol is present, as is a wood-like note.

Full bodied, but very clean.

Great RIS. Very drinkable. Glad they did another incarnation of this. A very clean, well balanced version of the style.

3.64/5  rDev -13.1%

Disclaimer for myself: Hype you got too much of it on this 1.

notes: missed this in bottle, due to my not paying attention to Total wine having it behind the counter so to speak. Anyway I read on beerjunto about a bar having this on draft, I had to have it, so we made a special trip.

the review.

A: Since is draft and 9% its going to be served in a .3L sniffer. Its a RIS in theory so guess what it is nearly black! Surprise NOT. No head as well its too cold and its in a fucking sniffer glass, god how I hate this half pour BS. So really no way to "judge" this aspect of this beer. Many be unfair but hey bars doing this hurt the brewers.

S: Some Honey comes out as it warmed, smells very sweet heavy malt wise to me, not much hops, some alcohol. No bad, waited 20 minutes for it to get above 45F! heavy earthy yeast comes out near 50F.

T: First sip was very sweet flavor with tons of caramel and roast dark semi sweet chocolate. There is a some mild roast malt flavors. Its not as boozy at 50F as it is early in the pour so to speak. Somewhat oily and has that medicine taste, not sure how to describe it. Still its comes together was its near room temp. Not a bad beer, one can not rate this one off to style of course. Or at least I cannot. Lots of chalky bitterness. for a RIS I thought it was too weak in malt backbone and alcohol level.
No hops detected but one assumes they are there. ;.)

M: The body is medium rich, with a moderate level of carbonation. Semi thick in viscosity.

O: I wish I had asked for a extra tumbler or shaker glass to pour this in. Ok I tasted it and while I hate to rate on .3L of beer, (over the line filled sniffer glass). I will anyway as I see no need to get another one. its decent beer, but nothing world class about it. I not compare Jazz to beer as that is well stupid, it does not live up to the name.

more notes for me: the rates system is well too far apart, I wanted to rate taste near a 4, but to round up would leave me to think it was better than it was. While I did not rate it to RIS style one cannot help but think it fell short of the RIS mark.

Poured from a bomber bottle into a tulip glass

A - black vivaciously carbonated body with a small medium brown head (about the color of milk at the bottom of a bowl of coco krispies). fades quickly with decent lacing streaking the glass

S - rich roasted malts with bits of chocolate, but a fruitiness toward the end.

T/M - the taste and mouth-feel is sticky sweet with the honey sweetness lasting from start to long lasting aftertaste. roast malts are masked for most of the draft except for the very end. bits of sweetened coffee toward the middle.

O - a little too sweet for my taste, but a nice beer, more of an after dinner beer.

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 25.4 ounce bottle into my Great Divide tulip glass.

I was happy to get my hands on Bitches Brew this time around. It sold out so quickly in the post-Brewmasters frenzy.

Dark as night with a finger of thick, dense, khaki colored head. Totally opaque even when held up to the light. Strong head retention and lacing.

Smell - Coffee, lots of dark, roasted malts, some bittersweet chocolate. Also picking up some piney hops and a touch of sweetness, probably from the honey beer.

Taste - Delicious. Big, roast, full-bodied Imperial Stout. The roasted malt is the star. Tastes really great. There's just a hint of hops bitterness and the sweetness from the honey beer creeps in at the end of each sip providing an interesting foil to power of the imperial stout.

This is a thick, heavy beer. It poured with a decided glug. It drinks thick and heavy, but I like it. The 9.0% abv is totally hidden which makes this a dangerous beer.

Overall, I'm really digging Bitches Brew. It's a tasty RIS, for certain. The honey beer side of the equation could perhaps be a little more pronounced, but I can't really complain. A tasty sipper. I should have picked up more bottles.

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Beer poured from the bottle a dark brownish black with a slight reddish hue, very soft dark brown/tan head lingered for just a bit before receding into tan lacing. Smell was hard to pin down, roast and coffee with an odd spiciness and sweetness. Taste was similar to the nose, roast and chocolate up front with an odd spicy smooth finish atypical of stouts ESP ris. Mouthfeel was smooth and silky with just the right carbonation. Overall a very solid beer one I look forward to again!

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head Brewery