Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 06-13-2010

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

3.5/5  rDev -16.5%

4.75/5  rDev +13.4%

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I first heard about this beer after seeing it highlighted in an episode of "Brew Masters" on the Discovery Channel. I am thankful to have finally found it and be able to enjoy it. Now for my FIRST review!

Poured from a pint bottle into a tall Weizen Glass... I know that this is NOT the appropriate glass, but the best I have at the moment... Bottle had some time to warm up a bit from the cooler at the store so not to be too cold.

Appearance- A gorgeous deep chocolate color that let no visible light through my tall Weizen. Left a tall deep brown head that slowly diminished to a delicate lacing that followed the head down.

Smell- The slightest hint of alcohol leads into a deep coffee and dark (think 80% cacao) chocolate aroma that I personally love.

Taste- For one who has not had many imperial stouts, (one or two in the past) this beer still had an unexpected bite for me, but not the same kind I would get from an IPA. First I get a bold coffee flavor followed closely by a deep dark chocolate that rolls into the honey smoothness. I found that as the beer temperature dropped towards more room temperature that the honey smoothness came out more and more.

Mouthfeel- Just the right blend of carbonation and "honey slick" smoothness that I found less frothy than the other few imperial stouts I have tried in the past. Again, the "honey slick/smoothness" increased as the beer warmed up that I thoroughly enjoyed.

Overall- This beer more than exceeded my expectations from the other descriptions I have read and seen on "Brew Masters." Looking forward to trying more imperial stouts and seeing how they compare with this one.

Thanks for reading!

Enjoyed this 22oz bomber out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a gorgeous pitch black hue with a thick, dark brown, frothy 2-finger head that lasts forever leaving a partial trail down the glass and ends in a wispy lace.

S: Toasted malts and chocolate aromas fill the nose. Slighlty sweet backbone with hints of caramel, cocoa powder and caramel.

T: Dark rich ale with a generous sweetness with a roasted malt bitterness. Strong chocolate and coffee overtones, with a nice malt background. Slightly hoppy and very smooth.

M: Very strong and boozy. Heavy body and medium-heavy carbonation

O: This is by far the best beer I’ve ever had. Nice and dark, great flavor and aroma, and nicely balanced. I’m a big fan of this brew! I’ve been waited to try this forever and it was well worth the wait!!!

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew from Dogfish Head Brewery