Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Dogfish Head Brewery

Miles Davis' Bitches BrewMiles Davis' Bitches Brew

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

(Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 06-13-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew Alström Bros
davednyc

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

This is one of the finest that I've had recently. This beer poured the darkest brown imaginable. Hints of chocolate and coffee pervade both the smell and the taste.

I had to do a double-take concerning the 9.0% ABV, since this has such a smooth taste. I believe that this is a limited edition, so I'm already planning on running back to the distributor to lay my hands on a few more bottles.

10-25-2010 00:31:59 | More by davednyc
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.75/5  rDev -10.5%

Served in my Old Stock snifter. Pours one shade shy of black with a quarter inch, mocha-colored head that disperses into a thin, consistent skim and a tight band around the edges of the bowl. Nose suggests dark, roasted malt, cocoa nibs and artificial sweetener. Taste follows nose, with the addition of a honey character, a hint of cardboard and a muted spicy/earthy quality that his hard to characterize but I would assume is attributable to the gesho root. Mouthfeel is medium-light with a mild, even carbonation, a trace of acidity and a pleasant, creamy texture. Definitely one of DFH's more drinkable experimental brews. That being said, share this beer with at least 2-3 other people. I did enjoy the opportunity to try this, but probably wouldn't seek it out again.

10-24-2010 15:14:56 | More by Jwale73
Chickenhawk9932

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

So I followed cooch69's advice and made a pot of chilli, put on the album, and cracked the seal on the bottle. I must say it is all a wonderful experience.

The brew is about as dark as they come with a dark coffe colored head.

In the nose is grape, followed by coffee and chocolate. Grape-chocolate - weird but it is nice and unique.

So in the mouth the grape hits but is dominated by coffee before it is too sweet, finnishing with a chocolate coating. Mouthfeel is real nice - well balanced and wicked smooth without scimping on flavor. There is a spice in the smell and taste that allude me. The beer pairs perfect with the chilli.

10-24-2010 00:36:06 | More by Chickenhawk9932
cooch69

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

I decided to go all out for this beer, so I had this commemorative ale with chili soup while bitches brew album was playing in the backround. If that's not a combo than I don't know what is...

This beer pours a very very dark brown with some mocha highlights when held up to the light. Without light it does appear almost black. There was only a tiny head which was cinnamon colored.

The nose on this was full of Espresso, 90% bittersweet chocolate, Alcohol, and a slight earthy/herbal character. I found the integration of the alcohol in this beer very well played. It blended in cohesively with the rest of the beer.

Upon drinking I got burnt mollases, dark roasty malts, espresso, and very dark chocolate. There was a sweetness and a mellow character to this beer that had to come from the honey beer blend.

Overall not much carbonation, but very much satisfaction. The body was full but not overpowering and the flavour profiles were complex and just enough to make you drink a lot, and than a lot more.

Also I thought that this beer was a Excellent match for Chili. I took Sam's advice and it worked wonders. One of my personal favorite pairings thus far.

10-22-2010 00:21:17 | More by cooch69
beerhan

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

This truly was a remarkable beer. It pours jet black into a snifter with a lovely milk chocolate head about half an inch. There are so many aromas present that I have never smelt before (gesha I presume). The taste is of course very roasty and pairs excellent with some chocolate to really enhance the flavor. Excellent going down and the alcohol is damn near hidden. A true treat that is incredibly drinkable, not to sweet or bitter, and minimally carbonated.

10-19-2010 15:04:05 | More by beerhan
Daniellobo

District of Columbia

Nice stout, subtle in its complexity, maybe too subtle, but with a pleasing drinking profile.

Presentation: 750 ml brow capped bottle. Label reproducing the album art of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew. Side note offers a small narrative about the commemorative nature of the brew, intent, main ingredients, and aging profile. Shows bottling date (2010 D), and Alc. by Vol. (9%)

A - Black pour with a good tan head, medium retention, thin but persistent surface memory, and minimal carbonation.

S - Soft stout nose, roasted malts, a bit of coffee, with a tiny sweet whiff in the finish.

T - Roasted notes, malty, with an emerging sweetness, very light honey sense, and a weak insinuation of an earthy touch over quite a competent stout profile, cocoa in the finish.

M - Medium/full body with medium carbonation, and slightly dry finish, alcohol well integrated, almost deceptively integrated.

D - All things considered this is quite drinkable and easy going. One maybe was hoping for something a tad bolder but all in all it is good brew.

Notes: For something built up on provocative fusion this feels a bit tamed, a bit of an exercise in composure, and it does it well. Wondering about the use of gesho as a substitute for the hop bill... In any case, it all comes together in nice sync and makes for a good brew, albeit one that I will probably not think much of after this tasting.

10-19-2010 03:19:32 | More by Daniellobo
rhoadsrage

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

(Served in a snifter) bottled in 2010F
A- This beer pours a jet black body wit a coco bubbly head that fizzes away after a bit. There are some microbubbles that slide up the side of the glass.
S- The light black roasted aroma has some earthy woody notes to it but is otherwise very clean.
T- The roasted black malt has a slight char coffee quality to it but it is not really bitter. There is a very slight tartness to it that grows just a bit as the beer warms. The finish is a light woody root roasted note that lingers for a second. As the beer warms there is a watery and mineral flavor that grows. M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a slight slippery texture and a tight fizzy finish and a bit of alcohol heat as the beer warms.
D- This beer has some nice roasted flavors with some very subtle support flavors and a possible gesho quality but it could just be my mind inventing it after reading the bottle. I didn't get any honey/mead qualities except for the thinned body perhaps and this beer is a bit one-dimensional, but it is a tasty dimension.

10-18-2010 20:28:58 | More by rhoadsrage
klewis

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

A: Black with a bubbly and frothy head. Good sustain with heavy lacing.

S: Strong chocolate smell with honey and a lighter aroma of anise.

T: Light sweetness up front followed by a soft astringency. A taste of coffee with an underlying herbal flavor. Complex and balanced.

M: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation. Silky and smooth.

D: This beer's merit rests on its quality alone, but its uniqueness earns it even more points. Highly recommended.

10-18-2010 12:24:23 | More by klewis
Tilley4

Tennessee

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Picked this bomber up a couple of weeks ago and cracked it this evening...

Poured into my CCB snifter an expected jet black with a thick tight creamy head.. Globs of lacing throughout...

Dark roasted malts dominate the aroma as I expected but I'm getting an awesome smoky almost rauchbier aspect here that's blowing me away... Its almost like a smoked chocolate aroma with a strong bacon influence... Not sure this is what they were going for but it works for me.. Awesome aroma to this one...

Dark bittersweet chocolate mixed with honey covered bacon? I get all of that from this... Lots of chocolate and coffee present but the honey leaves a lingering sticky sweetness here... The smoky bacon makes its presence known as well and lends an earthiness here... Its dark and delicious...

Way too thin to be classified as an RIS... Almost porter like really... Perhaps its the one part honey ale but it needs more body for sure...

I really enjoyed this one... Had it been more substantial and thicker, it would have been elite in my book due to the unusual smokiness mingled in here... As it, its still a damn terrific brew that I will pick up more of...

10-18-2010 04:06:48 | More by Tilley4
LiquidBread219

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev -5%

A= Dark black nice, nice coca head that hung around for awhile noticed a little bit of lacing.

S= To I smell licorice,coffee and chocolate. I also smell a little bit of spice.

T= I thought that the coffee and spice smell came out in the taste I also think that it hid the alcohol pretty good.

M= To me it was a little thin for a RIS. Good sipping beer though really thought the carbonation was done good.

D= The taste and smell did a good job hiding the alcohol pretty decent RIS need to get a couple for the cellar.

10-17-2010 01:13:51 | More by LiquidBread219
kels

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Fittingly drinking this one out of my DFH glass.

Pours like motor oil - very dark brown, practically black, with zero clarity. It even looks thick. A 1 finger cocoa-brown head floats atop the beer and retains very well, leaving washes of bubbly lace.

The nose isn't terribly bold, but it does possess hints of roasted chocolate malt, nutty honey and nickel-like metallic.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this beer, especially not knowing what gesho was. The taste is really complex. The roast of the malt borders on bitterness, and it is deep, dark chocolatey goodness. It is accompanied by a cherry-like tartness reminiscent of the undertones in a good bourbon. I'm looking for the honey, but I don't get it as much as I get the roast or as I got in the nose. There is a rich and earthy nuttiness that adds a nice dimension. The feel is moderate, but much lighter than expected - not thin, but smooth and clean. It's slightly sticky in the aftertaste with just a hint of film, and the aftertaste itself hangs around deliciously for quite some time.

Definitely great drinkability in this one. It goes down tremendously smooth, leaving only a bit of warming alcohol in the chest to enjoy.

10-16-2010 00:18:14 | More by kels
aerozeppl

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Pours a deep coal black with a quarter finger of coffee colored head. Great head retention but no lacing.

S: Complex nose.The sweetness from the honey and the roast from the malt really works well together. Little coffee beans. I keep coming back to how well the honey works with the usual imperial stout players.

T: Almost like an imperial milk stout. Almost get a lactose thing going on. Lots of sweetness but never cloying. Lots of roast and chocolate. Not the most broad range of flavors but damn this thing is balanced. Only a little bit of warming at the end.

M: Very dry for the style. Well attenuated. It really drinks like a dream and I keep reaching for my glass. This is the best new Dogfish beer I have had in a while. This should be a seasonal. Love the MD album too.

10-15-2010 22:00:20 | More by aerozeppl
TaekwonDylan

Connecticut

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

Wow! This craft is exceptional. I loved this one as soon as I poured it into my glass. The appearance is of rich dark chocolate, with a beautiful tan head to cap. A pleasant nose of chocolatey molasses and espresso with hints of crystalized brown sugar, make your eyes roll back into your head. The taste is perfectly balanced with roasted malts and an undertone of honey, but very silky and luscious on the palate-Not sticky sweet. The carbonation dances in the glass, and tickles the tongue- just enough. Extremely drinkable for a 9% ABV stout. Somewhere Miles Davis is grinning.Mmmm Yummy.

10-15-2010 15:42:14 | More by TaekwonDylan
Khazadum

3.45/5  rDev -17.7%

Thanks to whoever brought this particular bottle to the GI BA meet-up. This allowed me to review and keep my bottles capped :D

A- Darkness! No hues, pure darkness. Minor carbonation streams up the side of the glass, crayola brown cap, good collar and skin residue that never full left me. Looked amazing for what I was expecting. the lacing was intricate, and crystallized on my glass.

S- Iconic roasted and bu rnt grains, very alcoholic, plums, dark fruits faint, and a hint of musky sourness.

T- The dark fruits come forward on the opening, there are burnt grains that stomp out the sweet flavors, and this is overun by an overwhelming alcholic flavor. There is coffee, but I feel this actually detracts from the whole picture here. It is almost like someone threw instant coffee grounds into my beer.

M- Full bodied, distracting amount of carbonation, and the alcohol does not play well at all. Its a monster for being 9%.

D- Not hard to drink if you can get past the antisceptic qualities. It wasn't awful, but there was definitely something off about this offering. Very unfortunate for me to consume and would not drink again. Glad to tick it though!

10-14-2010 23:13:04 | More by Khazadum
Docer

Washington

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Grabbed a bottle of this some time ago at Belmont Station... sat on it maybe for a couple of months...

- Big thick 2 fingers of dark mocha head in my tulip... settled down to a nice ring, and bit in the center.. over a jet brown brew that can't be seen through.

- Sweet honey and mad grain... oats, high alpha bitter hops.. syrup... light maple...

- Roasty grain.... charred husks... honey sweet, oats, bitter hop.... very dry, balanced, and smooth. Not at all too sweet.

- Medium to creamy/hi bodied.... certainly drying... and really not too sticky from it's sweetness.

- Very nice brew, dry, not to sticky syrupy sweet at all... like a really well blended imperial stout. Certainly a must have. Wish I had another to sit on for about 8 years.

10-14-2010 07:11:02 | More by Docer
nickfl

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

A - Pours with a big, two and a half finger head of dark brown foam on top of an opaque, black body. The foam settles slowly and leaves thick lace in its wake.

S - A distinct aroma of molasses and caramel with notes of cola and spices. A hint of smoke and some earthy brown sugar.

T - Dark caramel malt with some mocha character up front. The sugary complexity continues in the middle with more caramel and some molasses. It finishes with a light, bittersweet chocolate flavor and a bit of chicory and allspice. Lingering malty sweetness with a hint of smoke and earthy spice complexity.

M - Medium-thick body, moderate carbonation, and a somewhat dry finish.

D - This is a strange one, it looks extraordinarily dark, but doesn't have the sort of intense roast character that I would have expected. There is a lot of dark, sugary malt and spice in this beer. Molasses and dark caramel dominates the aroma and flavor with some earthy spice thrown in to keep things interesting. It is relatively dry, especially considerign the sugar character, but a bit more bitterness, either from grain or hops would have made this a more drinkable beer. This might improve with age, but it leans more toward sweetness than roast, and to me that argues against it being a beer that will really benefit from time in the cellar.

10-13-2010 05:26:59 | More by nickfl
berkey

750 ml bottle split with a friend 10/11/10. My half in a Duvel tulip.

A smallish brown head forms and promptly settles down to a thin crown which actually manages to stick around for longer than I thought it might.

Imperial stout elements rule with some big coffee-like roasted malt notes out front on the nose. A spicy almost ginger character is also hiding in there along with a small amount of straight up sugar aroma.

On the flavor this beer is essentially all stout, but a very nice one. The brewer didn't make the non-traditional ingredients the star on this beer and in this case I think it was the right decision. The spiciness from the aroma is still buried in there adding an interesting element but the honey doesn't seem to be a major player in my opinion.

Have to say this beer is nothing mind blowing but a very solid offering and miles (no pun intended, seriously) ahead of any other DFH stout I've tried to date. I'll wait on my other bottle for a year or two and see how it develops.

10-12-2010 19:43:22 | More by berkey
ThreeWiseMen

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

JustinA1 (my roommate) picked this up at the local BevMo. Thanks for sharing dude!

Split amongst a couple of Stone IRS tulips.

Appearance: Sits pitch black in the tulip. A dense, brown ring sits atop and drags significant lacing. A quick swirl brings the head to life: a creamy, brown cap.

Smell: Rich, dark, flowery, and gummy/sappy. I kind of want to call it rubbery, but that's such a negative connotation. Certainly unique. Dark chocolate, Tootsie roll, and coffee are also in there. Wait... is that... it is! Gesho! That's what I smell! I knew I recognized it! Fresh gesho too! That brings me back. Just fucking kidding

Taste: Somewhat in sync with the smell, but much different at the same time. Roasty, floral, earthy, and bitter. Very interesting. There are a lot of exotic flavors in here that I'm unfamiliar with. I dig it.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy with delicate, soft carbonation. Impressive mouth-coating with a moderate lingering aftertaste. Alcohol barely peeks through at the end; even when warm, it's hidden well. Very nice.

Drinkability: A very fun experience. I can't wait to see what this tastes like a few years down the line. Nicely done!

10-12-2010 04:47:18 | More by ThreeWiseMen
AgentZero

3.68/5  rDev -12.2%

A - Jet black, huge tan head that had some decent retentio, no real stick on the sides. An appropriate looking beer.

S - Some roasted malts and a lot of milk chocolate and cocoa. Little bit of coffee, but the sweetness of this really stands out more than anything.

T - Very much a sweet stout, I like this more as a desert beer than anything. Chocolaty and milky, there is an interesting something going on here, maybe it's the gesho, not exactly sure. Honey adds to the sweetness. Fairly tastey, but I like my stouts more roasty and less sweet.

M - A little too creamy and milky for my liking. Full bodied.

D - Pretty decently drinkable for an impy stout.

10-12-2010 01:36:50 | More by AgentZero
LordAdmNelson

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Pretty good beer here from DFH, enjoyed it with a buddy while listening to Bitches Brew. Pours jet black with some dark brown head, a really nice looking stout. Smell is good, but somewhat run of the mill actually--roasted malts, coffee, chocolate. Taste is a bit different--a nice sturdy stout base with some interesting spicing to it. Can't quite pin what the spices are, but I'm imagining it's the gesho root. MF was full and creamy (though this doesn't seem to be the consensus opinion--it wasn't especially thick, though, just pleasantly creamy). Decent drink. Good beer overall, just not exactly what I was expecting. Maybe some time will do this beer good.

10-12-2010 01:26:54 | More by LordAdmNelson
ryanonline

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

deep black with a huge dark tan head. great sheet like lacing.

cocoa and espresso, malty too. a bit of alcohol scent as well.

dry but delicious, sweet cocoa flavor. a nice hoppy backbone.

prickly and a bit thin, not nearly as syrupy as most ris's. a light spritz too.

ok, but not great.

not a bad beer, but whatever. more could have been done to honor miles davis. meh.

10-12-2010 00:56:13 | More by ryanonline
Dreadnaught33

District of Columbia

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

Had today out of a bottle to a snifter.

A: Bubbly carbonation with a jet black body, mocha colored head with bubbles left behind. Looks good, though it appears like it'll be thinner than I hoped.

S: Lots of roasted barley in the smell maybe with a flutter of the honey promised by the recipe. Very metallic in strange way. Weak aroma also.

T: Roast, Baking Chocolate bitters, some interesting sweetenss laced into it. Not a huge flavor. Not an excellent stout, but good. Almost seems like indian brown with less flavor?

M: Medium feel at most, pretty light to what I hoped for. Pretty carbonated too.

D: Ok. Will not seek again though. Perhaps this will taste better with years in the cellar, but I'm not overly hopeful.

10-10-2010 20:31:52 | More by Dreadnaught33
awalk1227

Georgia

4.28/5  rDev +2.1%

Consumed 10/9/10 UGA Bulldogs finally pull out a win with a horrible start to the season!

A: Poured into a Duck Rabbit snifter. Pours very dark brown, with a light brown head that dissipates fairly quickly.

S: Nuts, chocolate, malts. A little bit of herbs and earthiness, slight grassiness, maybe from the gesho root?

T: More nuts and chocolate, I like that a lingering sweetness dances on the front of my tongue after swallowing. Finishes slightly bitter and earthy with a dark chocolate aftertaste. I like this.

F: Light, I can feel a moderately high amount of carbonation on my tongue for a stout. Wish it had a more viscous coating of the mouth.

D: Awesome for 9.00% ABV. Balanced to the point where I drank it down while watching TV with no heed to alcohol, even after it warmed. Glad I have another one to age!

10-10-2010 18:56:12 | More by awalk1227
garuda

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

A - Black with a thin brown head that has good retention and little lacing.

S - Smooth roasted coffee and dark chocolate.

T - Dark chocolate up front, with some sweetness from the honey mid-palate, then roasted coffee in the finish. Not very bitter at all, just extremely smooth.

M - A little on the thin side for a RIS, but has a nice low carbonation level, and super smooth going down, with a bit of heat in the finish.

D - Delicious, easy drinker. Wish I had more bottles.

10-10-2010 11:14:45 | More by garuda
boomer31

3.28/5  rDev -21.7%

Taken from notes 10-8-10

A - Viscous black with no transparancy and a full tan head. Looks like a great RIS.

S - Licorice, chocolate and a hint of coffee. There is a definite sweetness in the nose of roasted and chocolate malts. I'm missing any hint of hops.

T - The sweetness is almost a shocker. Sweet, chewy malt with chocolate and a hint of bite from maybe the gesho but I'm not certain. Perhaps the honey is adding additional sweetness which I could have done without. I'm not getting much coffee/roast as I did in the nose

M - Chewy chocolate and great carbonation. Perhaps the best part of this brew.

D - This is a heavy, sweet RIS bomb which needs to be parceled out to many friends. A tough brew to have more than a few ounces.

Overall I'm not terribly impressed with this brew. Overly sweet and rich with little roast just mostly chocolate and licorice. Just alright.

10-09-2010 16:38:18 | More by boomer31