Miles Davis' Bitches Brew - Dogfish Head Brewery

Miles Davis' Bitches BrewMiles Davis' Bitches Brew

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

(Beer added by: TheFightfan1 on 06-13-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Miles Davis' Bitches Brew Alström Bros

A - Pours out black , with a two finger mocha head. The head fades off quickly and leaves some spotty lacing.

S - malt and smokiness i can also smell the seetness of honey.

T - Wow what a suprise it looks like a stout but the first thing that comes to the taste buds is honey and malt it reminds me almost of mead ( because of the honey ) the abv is misleading as its 9% but the alcohol is really not present at all.

M - Smooth is all I can say very drinkable.

D - overall a extremely enjoyable beer I would put this easily in my top 5 but that is my taste. not a everyday beer but maybe for the holidays or a wedding etc. Dogfish head has def outdone themselves on this one kudos.

Arinthos, Nov 23, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured dark, really dark, but came out thinner than stouts do.

It smelled lightly sweet and floral. Had the stout/coffee hints to it but this was definitely a different type of beer.

The taste was light, sweet, and malty. Had a defined earthy tone to it. You could sip this many times and still be working through the mainly flavors going on. The Gesho root really plays a role in this.

Almost a citrus feel on the tongue. It wasn't bad but you get thrown for a small loop since its 3/4 stout but doesn't drink like one.

This beer was fantastic and well worth the try. It's one of those that you can enjoy and not get totally filled up on.

cjacobsen, Nov 23, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

750ml bottle into tulip.

Pours with a black body and a foamy chocolate head that dissipates fairly quickly.

The aroma is predominatley of chocolate malts with a very lightly hearthy and sweet tone.

The taste is of more chocolate malts upfront, with the Tej beer adding a very pleasant lightness to the overall feel. This really is one of the smoothest and easiest drinking RIS' that I have yet to try. The honey sweetness really takes almost all of the bitterness away.

The body is medium to thin for the style with a very low yet quite enjoyable carbonation that really adds to the creamy smoothness of the beer.

This is a very well balanced and blended beers. I really enjoy the honey sweetness and earthy qualities that are imparted onto the RIS part of the beer.

vkv822, Nov 23, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my glass. Thanks to dmunroe for this one.

A - Pours out black as motor oil, with a nice one finger dark mocha head. The head fades off quickly and leaves some spotty lacing. Leaves a dark mocha ring around the glass.

S - Smells of dark roasted malts, and a slight smokiness. Somewhat earthy spice provided by the gesho and some sweetness from the honey.

T - Definite roasty and smokey flavor profile, which is what I believe they were after with this one. Slight sweetness in the middle, and a little cinnamon spice at the end of each sip. The abv is barely noticeable.

M - Smooth and creamy, but a bit light imho for an RIS. Probably due to the blending of the honey beer. Still chewy with a nice dry finish.

D - Definitely a different flavor profile for an RIS with the fermented honey and gesho. But altogether a unique beer that is very drinkable. Lots of dark roasted malts and earthy flavors. So smooth and the abv is almost undetectable.

kk73, Nov 23, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Okay, I bought into the hype and was totally inspired by the series premier of "Brew Masters." Even though my wife is generally not a fan of beer, she tends to like the thicker, chewier, chocolaty ones like this. So after a nice romantic dinner, we went into the TV room, cracked this open, and watched the show in style!

I had this one at a tasting over at my place a couple of months ago, but with "Black Tuesday" and "Older Viscosity" on the menu before it, this honestly tasted like chocolate milk next to those bourbon bombs. Fast forward to the present ... here is my unspoiled palate assessment:

This was a bottle from the 1st batch.

A: Poured a thick (but not too), dark bistre brown, with the mocha looking head only a couple of shades lighter than the dark liquid below it.

S: DFH signature taste profile first, followed by milk chocolate (not bitter), and a candy quality that was very reminiscent of a Tootsie Roll.

T: This was not like any Imperial Stout I had ever tasted. I had to really look for the honey, and I got some sort of sense of it in that I could taste the skeleton of Midas Touch inside the goop. I got all this, along with milk chocolate, and a mild bitterness on the finish, that was almost toffee-like. What the heck is Tej supposed to taste like anyway? Anyone?

M: Definitely one of the smoother Imperial Stouts I've ever tasted, and the booze was hidden AMAZINGLY well. The carbonation was great for this style, and the sweet element was very scrumptious. The lacing was very good, and the texture was perhaps the honey's greatest contribution.

D: Wonderfully drinkable, with just enough alcoholic bite to stop me in my tracks. Even though there is still a good bit of this stuff left on the shelf around here right now, this sucker is going to be a collector's item. I need to hop to it and grab some more ASAP!

Chaney, Nov 23, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours completely black with a full, brown head. Head falls quite slow. Coating lace.

Roasted malts in the aroma with a earthiness and smell reminiscent of a campfire.

Nice roasted malt flavor that has hints of chocolate and coffee with a mild sweetness. Ends bitter and burnt with coffee flavors.

Rather fully mouthfeel and pretty smooth yet biting from the alcohol.

I like it. Tastes like a mild RIS and is quite drinkable.

dstc, Nov 23, 2010
4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

750ml bottle poured into Maudite tulip. From notes

Like many others before me I'm sure, I cracked this one just as the new BrewMasters show went on the air. I thought it would be kinda cool to drink the beer that they were showing how it came to be.

A - Black, dark brown edging, dark mocha brown head that dissipated very quickly which was kinda disappointing. Slippery lacing

S - Roast coffee, chocolate, some sweetness. This this smells really good and complex, building anticipation for the taste

T - Roasty! Coffee, bittersweet chocolate, toast, bready malt and a touch of sweetness which is the honey from the Tej but is hard to differentiate.

M - Medium body and not overly heavy, which in this case is good considering what DFH was trying to accomplish with this beer. Creamy and low carbonation.

D - A sipper. A little disorganized but the flavors complement each other nicely. I had a hard time noticing the Tej beer which is a bit disappointing but the stout is still very good!

OakedCanuck, Nov 22, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

750 ml split with themedievalist into a tulip and a chalice. Consumed while watching get made on "Brew Masters," which was a pretty cool experience.

The beer pours into the glass deep black, with a bit of dark ruby around the edges. It's got a puffy tan head that leaves a boatload of lacing along the side of the glass. The aroma is delicious, with dark chocolate, roasted malt and a powerful molasses scent. So far, so good.

The taste is a bit different from the aroma. What comes across as dark, bitter chocolate in the aroma is more like milk chocolate in the taste. Actually, it tastes quite a bit like chocolate ice cream. This beer was made with a lot of honey, but I don't taste honey per se. There's a molasses flavor that I suspect comes from the honey as well as the malt, but I don't know for sure. It's also nicely bitter from the large amount of roasted malt in the recipe.

The mouthfeel is silky, with low and lazy carbonation. The effect of the feel combined with the chocolate ice cream flavor is something like drinking the tail end of a root beer float. This is an excellent imperial stout. A half-step off the truly elite examples, but damn good. I need to grab a couple more bottles before they run out, because I'd love to see what some age does to this brew.

CharlatanSin, Nov 22, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

750ml bottle poured into a tulip glass. Though usually Dogfish beers have a bottled on date, this just says "Bottled in 2010" stamped on the neck of the bottle.

Popped this open to watch the first episode of Brew Masters and I have to say, watching your beer get made while drinking it makes for an interesting experience! Ok, so lets get to it...

Look: looks like a Russian Imperial Stout, all right. Pitch black body that doesn't give me any highlights even when I hold it up to a light. The head is very thin, maybe one finger if I use my pinky and that's with an aggressive pour. It is mocha coffee colored. It falls away quickly in my glass leaving me with just a thin layer of bubbles circling the sides of the tulip. One interesting thing I see is carbonation bubbles popping to the top of the beer. Usually Russian Imperial Stouts look flat so I wonder what that is about.

Smell: roasted malt, a lot of sweetness, some chocolate and coffee notes, hints of honey (but that one might be the powers of suggestion). There's also a very earthy aroma. The smell is very pungent to the point where I can smell it when I was pouring it into the glass on the coffee table in front of me.

Taste: this is where it is interesting. Rich chocolate flavors, with milk and dark chocolate in there, some earthiness from the hops, and a good deal of sweetness. One thing that is missing from this is a sense of booziness. I don't detect the alcohol very much at all, which is unusual for the style but truthfully its something I am fond of. Very nice.

Feel: full bodied but unusually for the style, it has some carbonation to it. I wouldn't say its chewy, but its certainly creamy and a little oily. The carbonation lends a degree of crispness to it that is actually quite inviting.

Drink: I could drink this all night, that's how pleasant this one is to drink.

Overall, I really liked this one. Its an RIS that might be a little bit more accessible to non-RIS drinkers. Its also one of the beer Dogfish Head beers I've had so hopefully it comes out regularly. Give it a try. Cheers!

SkunkWorks, Nov 22, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

Appearance: Black, with a two finger fine mocha head. The head leaves a lacing with staying power.

Smell: Sweet and malty, and smells of sweet cocoa.

Taste: a honey sweetened stout that is unusually balanced with a significant bitter component rounded out by a hint of the alcohol. I can't quite place the ingredient that leaves bitter traces as the sip's malt sweetness fades, but the malt flavor reminds me of cocoa.

Mouthfeel: very well carbonated for a stout. The sweetness makes this a slow sipper.

Drinkability: Again, this one takes a little while to drink. This is best enjoyed slowly, and whilst listening to Miles Davis.

itsfreeasinbeer, Nov 22, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

I had a chance to try a small sample of this at a tasting.... But thanks to Oreo for supplying me a bottle. I drinking this while watching the premiere of Brewmasters... Naturally. Served in my DFH signature snifter.

Dark black. Some dark brown and red hues in the legs-- but this came out very dark. Seems well-carbonated. Dark cocoa-powder head of 2 fingers. Rocky and frothy cap of bubbles is tight and loose-- like a good jam band. Good spots and chunks of lace.

Smells nice. A slight vinous quality meshes with deep roasted malts... A huge toasty chocolate and rustic earthiness... Smells quite nice. The taste starts off sweet-- a combo of sweet malts and unfermented honey. The earthy bitterness lingers on the finish-- and shows a bit of vinous acidity.

The body is gorgeous. I am quite a fan of the texture, carbonation, and velvety feel of this. This is amazing. Creamy and smooth.

This is a nicely drinkable brew. DFH was not messing around on this one. Fantastic.

AleWatcher, Nov 22, 2010
4.4/5  rDev +5%

Poured into a large Duvel tulip at about 45 degrees.

Decent 1-2F brown head that fades to ring over black body.

Light roastiness, with some orange-like citrusy component, and some honey sweetness coming thru as it warms.

Orange blossom honey brings a light citric sweetness that really balances the roasted malts. Reminds me of tangerine as it warmed. Decent roasted bean and milk-to-dark chocolate qualities come thru really well. Slight charcoal smoke in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is outstanding - great carbonation, no cloying stick or alcohol burn at all, just a clean, smooth finish - remarkable for a 9% "RIS" (even tho this is a blend)... drinks more like a top-notch milk stout.

Drinkability is large! I heard they've just brewed a bunch more due to the Discovery show, so I will be stocking up and cellaring Batch 2.

BeerImmediately, Nov 22, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

Not a huge stout fan but this one is good!

A: Dark brown color, with a small amount of lacing a one finger head that went away slowly.

S: I could tell as soon as I smelled this I was going to like it.

T: Tastes great! The flavor all the way through is great

D: I could drink this all day if I could afford it!

Definitely a great beer!

Bogforce, Nov 22, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Cracked open 15 minutes before the premier of Sam's new show, Brew Masters.
Pours a murky black w/ a think tan head that dissipated pretty fast, leaving some delicate lacing behind.
Very inviting aroma...some molasses, chocolate, and fruity hops (b/c of the blossam honey?).
Taste is just as enjoyable. Excellent balance between the roasty chocolate flavor and sweetening addition of honey.
Carbonation is perfect for the style with a velvet mouthfeel. The chocolate would be the only remaining flavor in the aftertaste, and the beer itself is not cloying at all.
Very drinkable for 9% and the alcohol is well masked.
A fine beer, fitting of the tribute. Well received.

warriorsoul, Nov 22, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +0.2%

750ml bottle served in a snifter.

L - black with a chocolate milk colored head that thinned to a ring with a cloud in the middle leaving a few trails of lacing behind.

S - roasted malt, chocolate and licorice.

T - good balance of roasted flavors along with some bittering finishing on the dry side.

F - medium bodied with a smooth feel.

D - goes down smooth and easy.

JoeyBeerBelly, Nov 22, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -5%

A: Pours a dark brown/black with a smallish tan head that fades to a layer of foam on top.

S: Lots of dark roasted malts. Get some dark chocolate and a slightly burnt aroma. Also get some dark fruits as well.

T: Lots of dark malts and a roasted flavor. Get a little coffee and some dark chocolate. Slightly smoky, and the dark fruits show up as cherries. Slightly warming at the end from the alcohol.

M/D: Medium bodied, but a bit thinner than I expected and hoped it would be. Very smooth drinking. Overall, quite enjoyable. Would score a bit higher for me if it were a bit thicker and the alcohol was masked a bit more. I will probably wait a good bit to pop my other bottle.

mdaschaf, Nov 21, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Had on tap at Pizza Plant in Williamsville, NY.

A - Pours an engine oil black with a minimal toffee colored cream layer and thick toffee colored lacing around the top.

S - Aroma is bitter chocolate, some charcoal smokiness, and some pete intermingled with prominent coffee notes.

T - Bitter chocolate, smoked charcoal, anice and black licorice. All the flavors blend well, all pronounced and bold, and the finish is pretty clean for a beer of this stature. Has a little bit of wet cotton also. Flavorful, weird ingredients, and yet DFH makes it all blend together to make it work.

M - Velvet on the tongue, roasted maltiness and chocolate lingers after the sip but quickly dies down for an enjoyable finish. Full bodied.

D - Nicely done and drinkability runs moderate to moderately high.

jzeilinger, Nov 20, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +11%

Appearance: I poured this black viscous beer into my tulip glass. It was capped off with a creamy solid tan head that dissipated, but was resurrected with the swirl of the glass.

Smell: Sweet and rich roast with a mild amount of hops. Roast flavors include sweet chocolate, bakers chocolate, and coffee beans.

Taste: Taste parallels smell, with more sweetness - creamy rich semi sweet chocolate with big honey and cocoa on the end. There is a building hop floral character, which seems to be enhanced by the gesho root. Rich and complex tasting; very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Big and bold with low carbonation; smooth and creamy with a rich head.

Drinkability/Palitability: High - this bottle was a ghost too fast.

Notes: I enjoyed this bottle while listening to Miles Davis' album 'Bitches Brew' while paired with French Dip sandwiches I made. This is an amazing beer that I will be sure to try again; before they are all gone.

halo21, Nov 19, 2010
3.63/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours a solid black with a good sized long lasting creamy tan head that leaves a respectable amount of lace on the way through the glass. Smells of roast coffee and chocolate. This also has a sweet maltiness and an herbal minty aroma that I can only assume comes from gesho root. Mix that all together with a touch of ethanol and you get an unusual and unique aroma. I get the usual stout like tastes of chocolate and roast but this one has a bit more going on. I get a spicy minty herbal character that almost gets to the point of turning me off, but then subsides. I am reminded of the woodiness that I get from Palo Santo Marron. Long lingering roasty and menthol finish. Medium body and carbonation with a creamy/oily mouthfeel. I'm not sure I would call this a RIS, but then again how would you classify it? I was put off with the herbal flavors a little bit at first, but as I polished off my first glass it was growing on me. Nice to try this because it is a bit different, but probably not something I would seek out again.

johnnnniee, Nov 19, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750 from Hoosick.

A - dark black. a steep pour releases some carbonation for a dark tan head. nice, but not much and it doesn't stick around.

S - not too intense, but satisfying aromas of dark malt, dark fruit, sugars, a slight spiciness.

T - roasted malts, coffee, and something-something...maybe the gesho. there is an herbal lightness that is certainly contrasting the RIS profile. however, a clever combination because it keeps the beer light, so to speak.

M - viscosity is on the lighter end of the spectrum for this style. however, since this beer's flavor is softened somewhat by the adjuncts, it suits.

D - again, the lightness makes this easy to drink. abv not very present.

worth a try! very interesting take.

bminor7, Nov 18, 2010
3.1/5  rDev -26%

750ml bottle drank into a tulip...Black and oily pour with only a little medium tan head. Poor retention and lacing. Not appealing...Aroma is light, mostly malty, lots of molasses, honey, a little spice and coffee on the back. Decent, not getting me too excited...A so-so taste that is pretty hot, especially on the feel a warm harsh burn. Taste is alcohol, bitter dark chocolate. Not appetizing in taste or feel...This is a tough one to drink.

Not understanding all the hype here, another dfh let down, at least its only gimmicky in name and not as much in ingredients.

jrallen34, Nov 16, 2010

750 ml caped bottle.

It pours a dark blackish brown with a ncie foamy tan head that leaves some great lacing as it recedes.

The smell is interesting, it smells like an imperial stout with some rootbeer thrown in there, not bad at all, very interesting. Along with the root beer there is a sharp spiciness and a honey graham cracker aroma along with the typical dark impy stout scents.

The taste is significantly different from what I was expecting. It is a dark, roasty imperial stout. The honey doesn't seem to add an overbearing sweetness, instead it is dominated by smoked peat, coffee, and dark chocolate. There is a unique herbal character that is surely from the gesho root and it is intriguing.

Often times Dogfish Head falls off the deep end with their experimentation, but this one seems to be well thought-out and it was a great idea, a delicious brew.

crossovert, Nov 14, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Portsmouth tulip/snifter glass. Pours a semi-thick black (as night), with a very smooth creamy light brown head, with decent retention...which dissipates to a thin rim. This beer is pitch black...and I love it! A fantastic looking stout!

Aroma is very nice. Big coffee notes. Semi-bitter chocolate, honey, malts, and a mild crisp hop.

Mmm. Delicious! For a non-barrel aged stout, this has a lot going on. Chocolate and roasted coffee notes up front...with a big sweet mouthfeel. Malty. A very nice sweet honey flavor comes on the backside. Finishes with a slight earthy-ness. Mouthfeel is medium to full body, medium carbonation, booze isn't really noticeable.

A very surprisingly tasty beer from DFH. I don't know why I didn't expect much, but I'm pleasantly surprised. A must try!

ShadesOfGray, Nov 14, 2010
3.93/5  rDev -6.2%

I poured this beer into a red wine glass while listening to the Miles Davis album with the same name.

It pours a viscous black color but with still some faint light going thru in the periphery of the glass. Head is light brown and dissipates after about two minutes leaving a ring on the liquid/glass interface. Great lacing.

Smell is of dark/roasted malts, chocolate, dark fruit, some herbs and booze. It's not as intense as I expected.

Taste is of dark malts (very roasty taste actually), bitter chocolate, honey and a herbal/smokey mixture towards the end. Aftertaste is very earthy and mildly bitter. I also get some herbal nots. Alcohol is not present.

Body is medium, certainly not as heavy as other Imperial Stouts. Carbonation is medium to high, mouthfeel creamy and sticky. Highly drinkable for the style.

Interesting beer but not nearly as revolutionary as Miles Album. It's totally worth seeking this out just for the story behind it, plus it's going to be featured on the first episode of the new Discovery Channel "Brew Masters" series so you can brag about it with non-beer people.

paulozanello, Nov 13, 2010

Poured into a Snifter

A: Pours like chocolate milk into a glass, thick. Jet black. not and once of light travels through the glass. Creamy chocolate brown head sits on top of the beer. Good retention as the head hangs around for a bit before it leave a soapy finish.

S: Strong roast malt scent, with a light touch of chocolate, dark fruit, and some herbs.

T: Very roasted flavor lots of malt, touch of chocolate with an earthy finish. The finish must be the hops plus the honey.

M: Very robust mouth as it has an almost chalky thickness to it.

D: I had no problem drinking the entire bomber by myself. 9% with no alcohol heat, good flavor. Excellent brew.

SiepJones, Nov 13, 2010