My Antonia - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: dasenebler on 07-15-2010

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.
to view more.
Ratings: 1,734 | Reviews: 544
4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

Very different taste, unlike any beer I've ever had, but not bad

4.5/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Hazy gold, 1 ½” fluffy white foam collar that grips the side of the glass producing thick lines of lace.
S: Light grains, citrus
T: Almost helles bock levels of malt balanced by rich, citrusy hops. The hops are smooth and not harsh - more citrus than citrus rind.
M: Smooth, creamy, medium body and carbonation.
O: A crisp, smooth, well balanced double pilsner.

4.31/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Produces a nice, long lasting foamy head. Rustic, grape smell. Tastes of citrus and hops. Smooth finish. Great overall beer, different than most pilsner's that I've had. Very nice.

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Appearance - 4.5/5
Two fingers of head which stays around for a long time. Orange-amber, a little clear, but quite hazy. A lot of carbonation can be seen rising up this beer. I really love the look of this beer. It's excellent.

Smell - 4/5
Grapes, hops, malts. Sort of a mellow-citrusy, rustic farmyard smell. Actually I don't really quite know how to describe what I'm smelling. For whatever reason a farmyard came to mind. Also, high-class Italian restaurant.

Taste - 3.75/5
Grapes, alcohol, sweet, slightly fruity malts, hop bitterness, a hint of citrus. I really like the grape aspect, it reminds me of DFH's Midas Touch. The rest of the taste is just okay. Not bad, not fantastic either. It's drinkable.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium bodied, very smooth and creamy, it just glides through your mouth a down your throat. It is a little bit bitter, but not enough to detract from the drinking experience. Carbonation is light.

Overall - 4/5
I have little experience with Pilsners is general, and so I didn't really know what to expect from this beer. I was a little worried it would be too hoppy due to the label saying "continuosly hopped". However I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. The hop taste was quite mild, and there was an interesting and unexpected grape flavor to the beer. This beer was good enough that I would consider buying it again.

2.72/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I typically don't go for pilsners, but was willing to give this one a try due to it being an imperial. For me, it started off good, but something in the finish didn't sit well on my palette. I found this beer to be drinkable, but not enjoyable.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Taken from notes, as I had this one a few months back. Generally I enjoy double Pilsners and this one was no exception. My only dis on this is that it came across a touch hot in a medicinal kind of way, but that taste sunk in after the initial hop bittered grain taste. I was attracted to this beer after reading My Antonia, which I was turned onto after eating kolaches while in a Texan town strong in Czech influence.

3.11/5  rDev -22.1%

Taste seemed off with the bottle I had. Not a fan personally of this one.

3.85/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

It's a very clean double pilsner. I enjoyed this beer a lot. Crisp, bubbly and tasty! Would buy again, for sure.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a pilsner glass:
Gargantuan fluffy white head, sticks around and leaves scattered sticky lacing. Body is yellow-golden and ever do slightly hazy, with a crisp look as far as carbonation goes.
Smells sweet of corn bread, with grains and some far-away grass and citrus, some alcohol. Very nice.
Taste is like the nose, but with some lemongrass present, grain/ herbal hops, and it's a bite-finishing beer that has a super-smooth mouthfeel, without feeling well-carbonated. Spicy banana ester hints (in both nose and taste) after a short while Near-medicinal.
Intriguing, flavorful, fun to sip.
This had the most dominating creamy foam that stuck around each pour that I can ever recall. I'd recommend this to any imperial pilsner fan, even though the Italian version of this beer collaboration was somehow superior, as my memory recalls.

Dogfish Head - My Antonia [A continually hopped imperial pilsner] (750ml ---> Dogfish Head Curved Pint Glass : 7.5% ABV)

Every other beer I've reviewed so far having been an ale, I felt it fitting when I finally got around to a Dogfish beer, that I'd choose their "lagerific" brew - as they put it... Pouring a orangeish/gold color, it quickly formed a 2.5 inch head made entirely of large bubbles that dissipated moderately quickly... It left behind a decent amount of lacing as the aroma of earthy/spicy hops rose from the hazy brew... On the nose is the drier malts integrated with the earthy hops, as well as a fair amount of green apple and traces of citrus hidden in there also... Upon tasting it, a spicy, yet still somewhat mellow bitterness hits your tongue, with the pilsner malt coming through on the second "wave..." It finishes strong in it's dry malty flavor, but the apples make a small cameo, popping up in the background from time to time as the beer makes a curtain call... The mouthfeel is actually fantastic, as it serves as a good balance to the style and serves as a good platform to host the flavors!! Overall I'm pleased to have indulged in trying this brew from Dogfish, as it is far from what was expected... I'm not the biggest fan of lagers, so this was slightly out of my comfort zone when I decided to try this beer, but I'm glad I proceeded with the gameplan as it worked out swimmingly... This brew was composed of enough "old-school" back bone to be able to host and compliment the "new-school" funk Dogfish head loves to apply to their concoctions!! Another good brew - Cheers!!

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from 4/22/13 Poured into a Stella Artois glass.

Pours up a hazy golden color with a white head. The aroma is of honey and fruit with hints of biscuit. The flavor falls a bit short, probably a result of being rather old. There is a subtle bitterness which counters the sweet peachy notes. There are other fruity flavors as well like bitter orange and maybe pears as well. The mouthfeel is quite nice. There is a nice light crispness to this beer. Overall, I like this beer. It is crisp and refreshing. I need to try a fresher bottle to compare.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: It has a nice hazy golden/yellow color to it. It has a nice thick off-white head that dies down slowly and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitely give out hints of floral hops, bready/buiscuity malts, some citrus and faint honey.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a some sweet bready/buiscuity malts, floral hops, a light grassy bitterness, light citrus/lemon and very faint honey.

Mouthfeel: It has a low-medium carbonation with a very nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied by good flavors and aromas. Very refreshing and drinkable.

3.63/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Got this at MOM's organic market in Herndon. Opened in my hotel room in the Crowne Plaza a few blocks away. Surprisingly, gushed on me, messed up the carpet a bit. Now to the review.

Very Murky yellow body with quite stable little yellowish white head. Head is creamy but looks a bit coarse. No bubbles visible

Nose is some pilsner malt, there is a whole lot hop aromas going on. There is some resin, noble spiciness and some fruitiness too, maybe pineapple

Taste starts a little sweet and is followed by resiny hops and bitterness, sweet pineapple again.

Drinks very smooth with little carbonation and the suspended yeast. Alcohol warms a bit.

I do not really know what to make of this. I expected a Pilsener but it is way too sweet for that. I think it is overly hopped but the hops are nice. It does not have the refreshing sharpness of a lager but it is smooth. The suspended yeast would make it a Zwickl still it is more an IPA than a lager. Do I like it? I am not even sure about that.

4.71/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a light fudge color with two fingers of slowly retreating head with excellent retention.

S: Notes of cocoa, coffee, and breadiness. Excellent and inviting.

T: Taste is equally as complex as the smell. Notes of cocoa and caramel with the breadiness. As the beer warms you get a tart bite and a strong alcohol sensation.

M: Full without being unusually heavy. Fresh and carbonated without being too forward and slides down the throat easily.

This is easily one of the best rounded beers I've ever had. I wouldn't want one every day, but it is excellent and a real delight.

4.16/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

From the 750 ml. bottle. No dates of any kind listed. Sampled on May 16, 2014.

Should pilseners look pale yellow with huge white, puffy heads? I believe they should and this one does. Plus it has a touch of cloudiness.

The aroma does have some nice pale malt, grain, and barley malty characters with a touch of hops but there is also a vague lime feel to it. I was not offended by that little added note.

Medium body which is heavier than the average pilsener. Feels like it has some substance to it.

The lime notes I picked up on the nose seem to disappear in the taste. Instead, I pick up an adequate combination of grain, barley malts, roasted malts, sweetness, and a played down hop finale. Dry finish. It does not fail to satisfy.

3.77/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very clear pale gold in color with an off white head that starts out thick and just never goes away. The smell is of sweet light malts and a ton of floral hops really quite different. The taste is much like the smell with nice sweetness and light bready malt. The hop character comes next with an assertive bitterness, not as much as an IPA as it is still well within balance of the malt. The bitterness is followed by aggressive hop flavor again all floral, grassy and peppery. Carbonation is relatively high and the finish on this one is a bit sweet a little slick and perhaps a touch of fleeting tingly bitterness just at the end. Overall this is good but not as good as I had hoped I understand that the hops are meant to be more European and floral but that leaves them seeming flat and a bit one dimensional. It is also a bit strange to have something as sweet as this is considering the style. In the end interesting but it may need a bit more work.

4.84/5  rDev +21.3%

Appearance: Light straw body with a crisp white head.

Aroma: Notes of apricots, pears, and persimmons.

Taste: Crisp, light floral hops with an earthy "resolve".

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a fair amount of carbonation.

Overall: This was my first Imperial Pilsner and it did not disappoint. While it is fairly light, it does leave a profoundly refreshing aftertaste on your palate. Enjoy!

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Somewhat hazy golden colour with a big, foamy head. Great lacing and nice head retention.

Sweet malt but with a big orangey, spicey hop aroma. Really interesting and complex.

Yum. Sweet malt with a slight nuttiness. Great bitterness that cleanses the palate and good fruitiness that drives this beer home.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Solid.

Excellent beer. Really clean, crisp and complex. Delightful.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

1pt 9.4 oz bomber bottled in 2012. properly cellared since then in refrigerator. poured into a sam adams noble pils glass.

A - pours a dark yellow almost blond color. uncommon for a pils. this is my first time having an imperial pils. let alone a 2 year old vintage. 2 1/2 finger tight billowy foam that sticks around.

S - yeasty funk and i pick up a green apple scent. almost like a goose island sophie. i guess its due to the pilsner malts and saaz hops. very sweet smelling sugary, earthy note. very belgian like.

T - same as the nose. slight yeast funk, pear, greenapple, earthy malts and spicy hops. like a amped up czech pils. the aftertaste is very similar to thier piercing pils offering.

M - more full bodied than a standard pils. almost viscous. good carbonation though.

O - Not a bad introduction to an imperial pilsner. i'll seek it out to try it fresh. overall not that bad....cheers!!

3.87/5  rDev -3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This has been sitting in my cellar for over a year now and I think its time to pop it open. To begin with, it almost explodes with white foam. Half the beer ended up on the counter and floor. Once I finally got a good pour it was a hazy Golden color with a huge thick white head. There had to have been some active yeast bottled with this otherwise I cant describe the beers reaction to stimulation. The nose is funky; think saison funk. Lots of malt and sour/sweet European yeasty aromas. The flavor is marvelous and nothing what I expected. It is sour and funky. Not the hoppy palate spoken of on the label. It is sweet and malty on the front with a sour and slightly off taste following (when I say off taste I only mean it in the best of ways). I have no idea if this was DFH original intention of the beer or just a result of being bottled in 2012, but it has turned into a damn good, damn funky biiig beer.

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%

750ML bottle poured (gradually) into a 12 oz. pokal.

A: A very lovely hay colored beer, slightly hazy with a nice big soapy bubbly head.

S: Has the bready/biscuit notes typical of a pilsner but with a nice addition of floral hops and zesty lemon.

T: Follows the nose. Bready, lemon zest, floral hops. More bitter than I expected.

M: Crisp and refreshing. Carbonated well. Alcohol presence is unnoticed. Drinks very much like a normal pilsner.

O: At first I was a a bit disappointed. by the time I had worked through the bottle midway, my mind had changed. It is a very tasty beer that I wouldn't mind having again.

3.17/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I'm not much of a pils fan, but I will definitely say that this one tops my list of the style. Dogfish's continual-hop M.O. puts the hops in the spotlight from a beautiful bouquet of hop aroma to a well balanced hop bitterness.
Overall, I do feel that My Antonia is just a lesser form of the 60 Minute, which I would take any day over this brew.

3.91/5  rDev -2%

A: Poured to a huge four-fingers-plus of fluffy, off-white head. The head slowly disapated to about one-and-a-half fingers and left a ridiculous amount of lacing. The brew is a bright golden straw color and very clear.

S: The aroma is very mild. It consists of just hints of caramel malt.

T: It has mild flavors of lightly roasted, slightly sweet and bready malt. There is also some grassy and bitter hops with just a hint of citrus hops, too.

M: The body is light and there is a good deal of carbonation.

O: This is a good beer for a hot day. The flavors are mild and the focus seems to be on carbonation and balance. As the label states, this is a different type of beer for Dogfish Head. I am glad I tried it.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

750 ml bottle was poured into a pint glass. Bottle 4/22/13.

Appearance: This beer poured a two finger head that reduced to a thin layer. Nice lacing from the reduced head. It is a golden straw yellow with great clarity and bubbles seen coming up through the glass. More lacing down the glass.

Smell: Bready and sweet pilsner malts, citrus, floral, and grassy hops. Some lager yeast in there too.

Taste: Grassy and citrus hops with some bready and sweet pilsner malts. Some lingering bitterness, lager yeastiness, and alcohol in the rear too.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, refreshing, lingering bitterness, medium bodied, medium carbonation, and a little booze.

Overall: Pretty enjoyable beer given the date on the bottle. Wish I could have tried the Italian version.

3.35/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

750 ml bottle:

Despite a careful pour it foamed up. Under the white bubbly foam is a hazed golden body. Web-like lacing sticks.

The smell is of lemongrass, yeast, some herbal/earthy hops and a touch of honey.

The taste is of lemongrass with a hint of honey. Sweet and sour. Noble hops with some citrus give a bitter finish. Alcohol weaves in and out.

It has a spritzy, medium body. There is a sharp bite to it.

It doesn't have the smoothness of a pilsner. It's a bit raw. "Interesting" and unique. It's a strong, hoppy pilsner that just doesn't come together well, for me.

to view more.