My Antonia - Dogfish Head Brewery

My AntoniaMy Antonia

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.

(Beer added by: dasenebler on 07-15-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of My Antonia Alström Bros

Had this at The Pour House in Westmont, NJ on tap on New Year's Eve.

A: Fizzy, with a thick head. Golden complexion with plentiful lacing. Think "pilsner champagne."

S: Honeysuckle, lemon, and a bit of crisp alcohol (7.2% ABV according to the chalkboard in the bar).

T: Wow. I don't usually seek out pilsners, but this one blew my mind. I might have to reconsider this category. The lemon and honeysuckle almost turned to lavender on my tongue.

M: Velvety with some snap from the alcohol. Perfect.

D: I could have had this all night. I only hope it's as good in the bottle as it is from the tap because I will definitely seek this one out.

A real treat.

UPDATE: Not as good in the bottle. But if you find it fresh on tap, go for it.

This is the best Pilsner I've ever had. It pours out a real nice hazy thick golden yellow letting you know that they put some quality hops in this. You take a smell and yup they sure do. You get that grapefruit. herbal, tea and some pine hops with the grainy sweetness from the malts. The taste is exactly like this with the flavor rolling across your tongue just like any quality IPA with that herbal piney grapefruit taste with some tea like tasting hops coming from the Noble hops they use. It leaves you with that sweet German pilsner malt that you'd find in quality German beers and then ends with the herbal, tea, grapefruit and piney hop bitterness that almost reminds me of a bit toned down version of a West Coast IPA mixed with Noble hops.

The smell and taste of this beer is so amazing for a Pilsner that they should literally send this to any of the big 3 breweries just to let them know what a real one can taste like... do they even know? I can't see how they don't. This beer reminds me of the Prima Pils by the Victory brewing company very much actually. I like this better though because its a bit more complex and has a thicker and creamier mouthfeel.

Dogfish can really brew their ales but this proves they know how to really brew a lager just as well. Amazing mouthfeel doesn't feel light at all and the 7.5 alcohol is covered up as much as possible for a lighter pale beer. It's covered up so well and you don't that typical beery alcohol yeasty taste you'd get from most lower quality pilsners. This is like a German IPA and I really wish they could brew more of this one year round! With that being said this beer deserves way more notice than it gets.

My Antonia from Dogfish Head Brewery