My Antonia - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: dasenebler on 07-15-2010

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.
Reviews: 544 | Hads: 1,741

Had this at The Pour House in Westmont, NJ on tap on New Year's Eve.

A: Fizzy, with a thick head. Golden complexion with plentiful lacing. Think "pilsner champagne."

S: Honeysuckle, lemon, and a bit of crisp alcohol (7.2% ABV according to the chalkboard in the bar).

T: Wow. I don't usually seek out pilsners, but this one blew my mind. I might have to reconsider this category. The lemon and honeysuckle almost turned to lavender on my tongue.

M: Velvety with some snap from the alcohol. Perfect.

D: I could have had this all night. I only hope it's as good in the bottle as it is from the tap because I will definitely seek this one out.

A real treat.

UPDATE: Not as good in the bottle. But if you find it fresh on tap, go for it. (739 characters)

This is the best Pilsner I've ever had. It pours out a real nice hazy thick golden yellow letting you know that they put some quality hops in this. You take a smell and yup they sure do. You get that grapefruit. herbal, tea and some pine hops with the grainy sweetness from the malts. The taste is exactly like this with the flavor rolling across your tongue just like any quality IPA with that herbal piney grapefruit taste with some tea like tasting hops coming from the Noble hops they use. It leaves you with that sweet German pilsner malt that you'd find in quality German beers and then ends with the herbal, tea, grapefruit and piney hop bitterness that almost reminds me of a bit toned down version of a West Coast IPA mixed with Noble hops.

The smell and taste of this beer is so amazing for a Pilsner that they should literally send this to any of the big 3 breweries just to let them know what a real one can taste like... do they even know? I can't see how they don't. This beer reminds me of the Prima Pils by the Victory brewing company very much actually. I like this better though because its a bit more complex and has a thicker and creamier mouthfeel.

Dogfish can really brew their ales but this proves they know how to really brew a lager just as well. Amazing mouthfeel doesn't feel light at all and the 7.5 alcohol is covered up as much as possible for a lighter pale beer. It's covered up so well and you don't that typical beery alcohol yeasty taste you'd get from most lower quality pilsners. This is like a German IPA and I really wish they could brew more of this one year round! With that being said this beer deserves way more notice than it gets. (1,679 characters)

Poured from 25.4oz bottle into 400ml Radeberger Seidel

Appearance: Pours a very bright and slightly hazy yellow-gold color with a large white head that dissipates at an average rate, leaving behind spots of lace. The bright gold is extremely inviting.

Smell: A cross between a pilsner and an IPA- some grainy aromas are evident with some grassy hints. The hops, though, truly shine- herbs, flowers, and a slight earthiness alongside a lot of lemon zest. This does not, though, smell like a hop bomb.

Taste: Begins with some sweet bready grain and citrus, middling out to some herbal and flowery flavors, and finishing with hop flavors reminiscent of (though not quite as powerful as) a West Coast IPA. Lingering hints of both a malty pils and a hoppy IPA are both prevalent at the end, but so well-balanced. If I could give this a seven for flavor, I probably would.

Mouthfeel: Lighter in body with well-rounded carbonation and a refreshingly dry finish. The finish has the assertiveness one would expect from an ale, yet the cleanness one would expect from a pilsner.

Drinkability: This is a wonderful brew. It marries so well wonderful pilsner flavors with the best parts of an IPA. The joy of this, though, is that nothing dominates anything else- it is hoppy, yet very accessible and easy to drink, but still has the noticeable malt profile of a pilsner.

I don't know how Dogfish pulled it off... (1,407 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +21.1%

I used to enjoy the Golden Shower so I am hoping this stacks up ;-)

Hennepin glass, very pretty fluffy head, off white and rocky with great lacing. Color is a orangish hazy brass hue.

Smell is exciting. Tartness and sweetness with biscuity overtones and a note of the 7.5% ABV.

Taste is tart and bitter with just a little sweetness. Citrus flavors are like orange as opposed to grapefruit, though there is a note of that too. This is a welcome departure from the over-sweet IPs I have seen lately and I like it a lot. There has been care payed to the malts chosen and that shown too.

Mouthfeel is smooth with good carbonation and the finish is dry and clean.

I really like this beer. It represents a very fine style and in a much better way than most I have tried. I would put this near the top of the style only really saving room for the off chance that a better beer is eventually brewed. The first year I tried the Morimoto IP it was this good, the last two years not so much.

In short this is a massive Imperial Pils with stunning flavor and body. It is truly reason enough to love a brewery that has many reasons for the same.

Slainte!! and Happy Independence Day! (1,178 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +20.4%

Appearance: Light straw body with a crisp white head.

Aroma: Notes of apricots, pears, and persimmons.

Taste: Crisp, light floral hops with an earthy "resolve".

Mouthfeel: Smooth with a fair amount of carbonation.

Overall: This was my first Imperial Pilsner and it did not disappoint. While it is fairly light, it does leave a profoundly refreshing aftertaste on your palate. Enjoy! (386 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +19.9%

750ml bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip.

Pours a nice light golden color with a nice big fluffy light yellow to white head. Nose is surprisingly hoppy, fresh and a bit malty as well - this is getting me excited!

Damn, this is awesome. I'd say it's like the lager cousin of 60 min IPA. It's very hoppy and bitter but also super well balanced - it's got a very nice caramel backbone that's a bit odd for a pilsner, but damn does it work. The alcohol is a bit present but the hops do a good job covering it up, there's a nice chewiness to it as well which reminds me of many of the German lagers i had in München. Very tasty and easy drinking, glad I picked this up! (665 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +19.7%

Had at the DFH restaurant in Gaithersburg.

A: thin head, peach, cloudy orange, no carbonation, good lacing
S: great bloom of flavor; rather boozy; wonderfully enticing
T: all hops; wow, an imperial pilsener; very sweet and vibrant, with emphasis in the bright, piney flavors; take it slow
M: very smooth, esp. from draft

Wow, one fantastic beer. (347 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance: Pale yellow with good carbonaton and a good head.

Aroma: Tropical fruits and a wild flowers.

Taste: Creamy mouthful followed by the tropical fruits, mellow hops, and a buttery biscuit that melts away.

Overall: WOW!! This beer is another reminder of what a great brewery they have over there in Delaware. This beer is extremely tasty and easy to drink. What a great take on a classic European stlye pilsner. Hoping I can find it on tap someplace in Philly. Cheers!! (479 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +18.7%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 1pint 9.4oz bottle into a Pilsener glass. The label has a short description of the beer and its abv. (7.5%) No freshness date.

Appearance: It has a light hazy with a nice golden hue and a tall rocky head to top it off. (The last glass has a much heavier haze.)The head has excellent retention and it clings to the glass leaving lots of thick chunky lacing behind.

Smell: This is lovely and full of fruity pale and biscuity sweetness with juicy hops. Notes of pineapple, peach and floral/citrusy hops fill the nose.

Taste/Palate: To start with I must say that there was less hop bitterness than I was expecting from the continually-hopped beer. What was there was in very good balance. As with the aroma I picked up nice tropical fruit notes on sweet pale biscuity base, complemented with citrusy hops. The finish is fruity and balanced with pleasant hop bitterness. On the palate it has a firm medium feel with nice lively and balanced carbonation.

Notes: This is just an outstanding lager beer and I would highly recommend this to anyone!!! (1,089 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +17.9%

I've seen some reviews claiming this beer, "doesn't taste like lager/pilsner." All I can say in response is, Duh!

I'm not usually a lager guy, but as soon as I saw the pour on this beer I was interested. The head was thick and cream-colored, balanced on top of a beautifully honey-colored brew.

The aroma was impressive. Honey, flowers, amazing hop depth.

Then I tasted it...

The mouth feel is smooth and close to perfect. And, as expected, the hops jump right into your head. Slightly sweet up front with a bite of hop bitterness at the tail end.

This is easily the best pilsner I've ever tasted. From the sight, smell, feel and flavor it ranks very high in my all-time favorite beers. Definitely worth taking time to enjoy.

By the way... I drank this beer alongside a freshly made bowl of smoked tomato soup with bacon and a provolone & gouda grilled cheese. (873 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Pours a light fudge color with two fingers of slowly retreating head with excellent retention.

S: Notes of cocoa, coffee, and breadiness. Excellent and inviting.

T: Taste is equally as complex as the smell. Notes of cocoa and caramel with the breadiness. As the beer warms you get a tart bite and a strong alcohol sensation.

M: Full without being unusually heavy. Fresh and carbonated without being too forward and slides down the throat easily.

This is easily one of the best rounded beers I've ever had. I wouldn't want one every day, but it is excellent and a real delight. (583 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a translucent honey color into my pint glass... a tall billowy head develops on top. Aroma is fantastic with pronounced floral and fruity aspects - lemon, pineapple, grapefruit, apricot, as well as sugary caramel all in there. Tastes great, much like the aroma, and has a deep malt backbone as well, with a pleasant smack of hoppy bitterness. Coats the mouth nicely with a warming sensation going down. Lots of lacing on the glass. Overall, I have only had a few 'imperial pilsners' but this one stacks up quite well and also is the archetype of the BA description for the style. Well done DFH! (600 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a golden light amber, with a frothy white head with good retention and decent lacing.

Smells largely of floral and citrus - orange and grapefruit. It has a malty sweetness in the background - hints of butterscotch.

Citrus up front - sweet orange followed by bitter grapefruit which dominates the citrus notes. Finishes dry with a creamy smoothness - butterscotch coating. A damn good beer & the best pilsner I've had. (427 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a hazy golden straw color with a tall off white head.

Scents of sweet grass, alfalfa honey, biscuit malts, lemon.

This is really impressive. DFH has really pulled of what I would consider the benchmark of what I would expect for this style. It has nice lightly sweet honey-biscuit malt flavor up front then it moves in a floral/ grassy note and a touch of lemon peel. The finish is sweet and has a tropical/ candied lemon flavor.

Great medium carbonation with a nice soft feel. The viscosity is a touch higher than for regular pilsner but spot on for an Imperial.

I'm really impressed by this beer. It's big on flavor and very unique. Plus although it's an Imperial it's still refreshing. A very nice break from the giant hop bombs and huge roasted imperial stouts. (775 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

I let this one sit on the shelf for probably around 4-6 months at slightly below room temperature (cold part of the house).

A: Nice looking pilsner, clear gold with medium-sized bubbles, decent head and lacing.

S: Hopped honey, light grain. Very nice. Apple.

T: Very strong honey flavor, almost like a mead, but not as alcoholic. Nice light grainy backend, just barely toasted. Hops are nice and strong. As an IPA fan, this is a refreshing pilsner that's not as flavorless and yeasty as the style can sometimes be. It would also be a decent crossover into IPA territory for a non-initiate, as it is more mild than an IPA and very sweet to offset the hops.

M: Pretty syrupy, but tolerable. Non-astringent, good carbonation. Not too shabby!

D: Goes down nicely, even with food. Enjoy it with some nice bread and olive oil and salt. Mmmm... (844 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

A: Amber and slightly cloudy. Adequate lacing. Good head :)

N: Light citrus with apple tones. A slight vinegar scent. Grain and possibly citra hops

T: I notice the hops first, but its not bitter. After getting a good mouthful, you really appreciate the careful hop addition by giving flavor without the bitterness that comes with it. Then you get a nice smooth malty coating that lingers. Light fruity flavors throughout.

M: VERY SMOOTH! Almost like a cream ale. This is my favorite part of the beer. Full of body, not overly carbonated. I would love to try this carbonated with nitrous.

O: I typically stay away from pilsners because of their lack of body and flavor. However, this one takes the cake! I purchased it because of the comment on the label that it is "continually hoped" and it stands by its words. And, I am a big fan of Dogfish Head beers. This is a beer that is perfect light lovers and hopheads alike. Bravo Sam Calagione! Another great beer out of Delaware! (984 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +16.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a Pilsner Urquell pilsener glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, bright golden color. Has an enormous, rocky head that dissipates slowly and leaves some fantastic lacing. Perfect!

Smell: Has a grainy pilsener smell backed by some intense hop aromas. Has a bit of a yeasty smell to it as well that I detect in a lot of DFH beers.

Taste: Man, where to begin? Starts with a good bit of sweetness backed by intense ctirusy, grassy, earthy hop flavors. Very well-balanced between the hoppy bitterness and lagery sweetness. My only complaint would be that it's only 7.5% ABV, but you can taste every bit of that; this is a very boozy beer.

Mouthfeel: Very full-bodied, yet still crisp and refreshing.

Overall: Definitely one of my all-time favorites here. The idea of mixing a Czech pilsener with West Coast hops is brilliant and really pays off in this beer. I can't recommend this one enough. (921 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

A- Cloudy gold / orange yellow

S- Citrus (grape fruit) and dried apricots

T- Very fruity, almost has a granny smith taste at first and then an essence of grape fruit or citrus. Bitterness is there to, gets you right in the back of the throat.

M-carbo just right, smooth and creamy almost like melted butter.

D- Over all a great larger! Has great after taste that fills my mouth with fruity under tones. (408 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

I enjoyed this Imperial Pilsner out of a bottle, poured into a pint glass. This Pilsner poured a hazy, golden color It produced a medium sized white head. Retention was very good. The lacing was above average. The aroma was very nice for a pilsner, full of malt and grassy hop and citrus. The taste of this brew was semi sweet, full of malted grain and had a nice bitter hoppy citrus flavor. Full body, dry finish. This was my first shot at an Imperial Pilsner- I will say that this is the best Pilsner that I have ever sampled! Another awesome brew from Dogfish. (563 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

750 mL bottle dated 2011 2. Shared into Sam Adams pint snifters after a 6 mile run.

A: golden yellow with excellent clarity. Two fingers of frothy white head that sticks around for several minutes. Decent lacing.

S: Nose is fantastic, I feel I get some hay aromas amidst mild hints of hops. Also a bit florally, almost reminiscent of a Belgian-style.

T: Wheaty up front with a tarty zest that is likely secondary to the hops. Finishes refreshing with a yeast character and a mild hop bitterness.

M: Crisp, appropriately carbonated, light bodied and very refreshing.

O: An absolutely fantastic beer. This is perhaps my favorite beer by DFH, which is saying a lot. Highly recommend this beer. (695 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a Sam Addams pint glass. I got an awesome amount of white fluffy head on top of a clear golden colored brew. The head on this brew just lasted and followed the brew lacing all the way down the glass.

You get a great amount of sweet and spicy aroma coming from the brew I got some grass and pepper to it along with a nice bready malt. The flavor was malty sweet but had enough hop bitter to be perfectly balanced in my book. If it wasn't for the price tag I'd be drinking more of these. It was medium to light in the mouth with great carbonation. The 22 oz bottle went way to fast I will be looking forward to the next fresh batch I see (648 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured from a 1 pt. 9.4 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Boston Lager glass.

Appearance: Pours a translucent, pale, golden color with a large, frothy head that dissipates slowly and leaves some spotty lacing.

Smell: Smells strongly of citrusy, West Coast hops. Has a nice, floral, sweet smell as well.

Taste: Starts off with a more traditional pilsner taste, hitting you with grassy, Noble hops up front. It develops a sweeter taste towards the back flanked by some West Coast citrus hops. All in all, a very unique and very tasty concoction.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and refreshing like a lager, yet full-flavored like an ale.

Drinkability: A truly exceptional pilsner that only further solidifies DFH as one of my favorite breweries. The innovation and care that went into this beer is clearly evident. This is definitely a must-have beers for lovers of pilsners and Dogfish Head's other offerings. (892 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%

$8.55 big bottle from Boonton, poured into my Imperial Pilsner Margaritaville glass.

Hazy golden body, topped by a huge fluffy snow white softball. Excellent lacing.

Drippy juicy citrus nose just invites you to dive in.

Thick sweet coating rolls down the tongue. Juicy fruit bursts around the mouth. Crisp bitter bite at the swallow. Clean finish with a bitter afterglow.

Crisp medium mouthfeel, not too thick.

Great drinkability overall, a pleasure.

A huge improvement over Golden Showers, I can seek more of this. (521 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

our of the four ipas i had last night, this one actually came across the best of the lot, and it was a pilsner, lol. served into a white birch tulip, this one was consumed on 08/20/2010.

really nice pour with a great light amber color and a towering head of white that just comes up and over the glass, really putting this into a whole new arena of good looking beer for me.

lots of hops are first noted in the aroma but soon this boils into a mix of light balance between grains, light banana notes, and lots of citrus. cereal grains work their way in now as we start to take the first sips. nice use of pale malts and yeast here as it comes together with a really nice mix of flavors that play off each other damn well and it really works. lots of hops coming back into the finish as the pineapple flavor comes back and dries the palate leaving you with just a dry mouth that is aching for another dose of this one.

overall as solid as they come. i did not know what to expect here, but damn this one was good. would do it again in a heart beat. (1,050 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a 750ml to a Perfect Pint glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden apple cider like color with a big fluffy plum of bubbly white sitting atop the glass.

S- Sweet hops come out first then the bready sweet malts follow ends on a fruity almost lemon scent.

T- Big hoppy bitterness mellowed out with a strong fruity sweetness, big on both sides and mend just as well. The first few sips are very overwhelming then your tongue and palate get used to it and beg for more.

M- A medium body on a very crisp and refreshing beer. Fills the mouth with a dry yearning for another sip.

O- This is a great beer, alot of DFH are too experimental for me, this is not. This is just a straight up Pilsner Lager, just jacked up and done right. (730 characters)

My Antonia from Dogfish Head Brewery